marktci
Topic Author
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:05 am

Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:17 pm

YYJ lost its SFO flight at the beginning of the year and now is set to lose its flights to SEA on Delta. Leaves the SEA flights on Alaska (Horizon) as the only regular scheduled flights to the US.

https://www.timescolonist.com/business/ ... 1.23657251
 
factsonly
Posts: 2694
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:36 pm

YYJ = Victoria Airport - Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.
 
Cactusjuba
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:06 am

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:48 pm

Now served via WS no doubt.
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6264
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:54 pm

This is the second time that DL has dropped YYJ. The tried YYJ-SLC several years ago.
 
User avatar
TransWorldOne
Posts: 302
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 12:13 am

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:04 pm

SEA-YEG and now SEA-YYJ. Wonder what routes we'll see DL drop next from its "flourishing" Seattle hub.
 
EMB170
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:16 pm

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:15 pm

I don't necessarily think that the loss of YEG and YYJ is evidence that SEA is doing poorly for DL. Rather, it's a consequence of the DL/WS partnership ramping up and more service to Canadian airports being more efficiently (read: economically) served on WS metal. Clearly, the fact that DL is placing A350/A339 aircraft into service in SEA (their flagship products, in essence) is a reflection of their confidence in the greater SEA market as their new primary TPAC gateway (at least for west of the Mississippi).
IND ORD ATL MCO PIT EWR BUF CVG DEN RNO JFK DTW BOS BDL BWI IAD RDU CLT MYR CHS TPA CID MSP STL MSY DFW IAH AUS SLC LAS
 
User avatar
OA940
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 6:18 am

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:33 pm

TransWorldOne wrote:
SEA-YEG and now SEA-YYJ. Wonder what routes we'll see DL drop next from its "flourishing" Seattle hub.


Wow an airline cancelled two routes from a hub that has 50 destinations. Must mean Delta sucks and Seattle is unfavorable for any sort of growth. Jesus Christ some people...
A350/CSeries = bae
 
Bobloblaw
Posts: 2406
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:15 pm

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:39 pm

EMB170 wrote:
I don't necessarily think that the loss of YEG and YYJ is evidence that SEA is doing poorly for DL. Rather, it's a consequence of the DL/WS partnership ramping up and more service to Canadian airports being more efficiently (read: economically) served on WS metal. Clearly, the fact that DL is placing A350/A339 aircraft into service in SEA (their flagship products, in essence) is a reflection of their confidence in the greater SEA market as their new primary TPAC gateway (at least for west of the Mississippi).



so youre predicting that WS will take over these routes?
 
EMB170
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:16 pm

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:48 pm

Bobloblaw wrote:
EMB170 wrote:
I don't necessarily think that the loss of YEG and YYJ is evidence that SEA is doing poorly for DL. Rather, it's a consequence of the DL/WS partnership ramping up and more service to Canadian airports being more efficiently (read: economically) served on WS metal. Clearly, the fact that DL is placing A350/A339 aircraft into service in SEA (their flagship products, in essence) is a reflection of their confidence in the greater SEA market as their new primary TPAC gateway (at least for west of the Mississippi).



so youre predicting that WS will take over these routes?


Not necessarily SEA-YYJ and SEA-YEG nonstop, per se, but rather the idea that passengers flying XXX-YYJ or XXX-YEG can be flown to those cities more efficiently via a WS hub in YYC or YVR than via the DL connecting hubs in SLC or SEA. So, someone flying, for example, MSP-YYJ would be flown MSP-YYC-YYJ instead of MSP-SEA-YYJ.

Personally, in the case of YYJ, I doubt there is local market for that particular flight anyways as you have the Victoria Clipper that takes you from downtown Seattle to downtown Victoria very efficiently. So such a flight would be looking at connecting passengers anyways.
IND ORD ATL MCO PIT EWR BUF CVG DEN RNO JFK DTW BOS BDL BWI IAD RDU CLT MYR CHS TPA CID MSP STL MSY DFW IAH AUS SLC LAS
 
Prost
Posts: 2406
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:23 pm

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:11 pm

Kenmore Air also flies from Lake Union to Victoria inner harbor, which is very convenient for local travelers. Not so much connecting passengers from Sea-Tac, however. Kenmore Air does operate a shuttle. If I were flying to YYJ, Kenmore would be my choice, you’d have some amazing scenery on a quick flight and have the opportunity to fly a float plane. What’s not to love?
 
klm617
Posts: 4339
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:20 pm

TransWorldOne wrote:
SEA-YEG and now SEA-YYJ. Wonder what routes we'll see DL drop next from its "flourishing" Seattle hub.


SEA-KIX
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
klm617
Posts: 4339
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:22 pm

EMB170 wrote:
Bobloblaw wrote:
EMB170 wrote:
I don't necessarily think that the loss of YEG and YYJ is evidence that SEA is doing poorly for DL. Rather, it's a consequence of the DL/WS partnership ramping up and more service to Canadian airports being more efficiently (read: economically) served on WS metal. Clearly, the fact that DL is placing A350/A339 aircraft into service in SEA (their flagship products, in essence) is a reflection of their confidence in the greater SEA market as their new primary TPAC gateway (at least for west of the Mississippi).



so youre predicting that WS will take over these routes?


Not necessarily SEA-YYJ and SEA-YEG nonstop, per se, but rather the idea that passengers flying XXX-YYJ or XXX-YEG can be flown to those cities more efficiently via a WS hub in YYC or YVR than via the DL connecting hubs in SLC or SEA. So, someone flying, for example, MSP-YYJ would be flown MSP-YYC-YYJ instead of MSP-SEA-YYJ.

Personally, in the case of YYJ, I doubt there is local market for that particular flight anyways as you have the Victoria Clipper that takes you from downtown Seattle to downtown Victoria very efficiently. So such a flight would be looking at connecting passengers anyways.


I'm sorry but MSP-YYC-YYJ is a kind of out of the way routing compared to connecting over SEA. I would say MSP-YVR-YYJ is a better option..
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
User avatar
usxguy
Posts: 1701
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:28 pm

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:25 pm

That argument doesn't hold for YYJ though.. WS's transborder flying out of YVR doesn't touch what AC offers.

Even Alaska has drawn down some YEG & YYC flying... so lets not get too much into a widget bashing or eskimo bashing. Markets move and adjust all the time.
xx
 
BA
Posts: 10458
Joined: Fri May 19, 2000 11:06 am

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:26 pm

OA940 wrote:
TransWorldOne wrote:
SEA-YEG and now SEA-YYJ. Wonder what routes we'll see DL drop next from its "flourishing" Seattle hub.


Wow an airline cancelled two routes from a hub that has 50 destinations. Must mean Delta sucks and Seattle is unfavorable for any sort of growth. Jesus Christ some people...


And when you point out the added frequencies and aircraft upgauges on other routes, you get silence.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran
 
rajincajun01
Posts: 677
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:16 am

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:37 pm

Anybody consider SEA’s growth constraints? If the routes aren’t (very) profitable, use the a/c and gate for a different destination. Letting AS have the route isn’t going to do anything in the grand scheme for either airline.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore
 
BA
Posts: 10458
Joined: Fri May 19, 2000 11:06 am

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:47 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
Anybody consider SEA’s growth constraints? If the routes aren’t (very) profitable, use the a/c and gate for a different destination. Letting AS have the route isn’t going to do anything in the grand scheme for either airline.


Last month when I flew in from DTW, we waited 1.5 hours on the tarmac for a gate to free up.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran
 
User avatar
enilria
Posts: 9495
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:08 pm

Cactusjuba wrote:
Now served via WS no doubt.

Those JVs are sure good for competition and the consumer. :(
 
MSPNWA
Posts: 3309
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:48 am

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:37 pm

Having an E175 on it doesn't help either. Overkill. A 50-seater may have given the route a better chance. Large RJs and JVs are fine and dandy - when you don't lose service of course.
 
User avatar
SLCUT2777
Posts: 3461
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:17 am

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:10 pm

Keep in mind DL served YYJ-SLC seasonally at one point (2006-2009). The biggest hurdle YYJ has so far as trans-border service is their lack of a U.S. Customs & Border Protection pre-clearance FIS desk. If Victoria built one, it would get utilized since the ferry services also utilize U.S. officers that could easily be moved around as needed.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!
 
yegbey01
Posts: 1365
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:04 am

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:11 pm

In the case of DL dropping YEG-SEA, AS will be reinstating a third daily starting in the fall. So, opportunity for AS to re-establish itself on the YYJ-SEA.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 4975
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:58 pm

With the draw-down of a couple of non-performing routes like the ones mentioned, maybe it will be replaced with SEA-DFW, SEA-OAK or other routes.
 
Noise
Posts: 2447
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 1999 7:38 am

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:51 am

Low Canadian dollar doesn't help matters.
 
tphuang
Posts: 3001
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:07 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
With the draw-down of a couple of non-performing routes like the ones mentioned, maybe it will be replaced with SEA-DFW, SEA-OAK or other routes.


I guess if DL really wants to loose money, it can jump onto those two.
 
Cactusjuba
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:06 am

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:12 am

enilria wrote:
Cactusjuba wrote:
Now served via WS no doubt.

Those JVs are sure good for competition and the consumer. :(

Don't forget the employees
 
717atOGG
Posts: 831
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:10 am

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:30 am

I think the drop of SEA-YYJ is just DL shuffling the cards, getting rid of a weaker market out of gate-constrained SEA that they feel can do better elsewhere, and it doesn't reflect the performance of DL at SEA as a whole. As the article says, they did well in the summer but struggled in the off-season, and it didn't help that DL doesn't have anything smaller than an E75 (which has a fairly large F cabin) in SEA.

I'd expect a new route or some increased frequencies on existing ones to compensate for this, since I've noticed in the OAG that sometimes, when DL cuts frequencies on one SEA route, they increase on another. For example, in the 1/6 OAG, it was shown that DL axed a 1x/day SEA-YEG flight in March, but that same month, they increased SEA-RDM from 2 to 3 dailies, and for the 2/10 OAG, they reduced SEA-YYJ from 3x to 2x starting in June, and subsequently increased SEA-PSC from 3x to 4x/day.
Long live the Boeing 757!
 
IPFreely
Posts: 2334
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:26 am

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:37 am

TransWorldOne wrote:
SEA-YEG and now SEA-YYJ. Wonder what routes we'll see DL drop next from its "flourishing" Seattle hub.


SEA-YEG and SEA-YYJ come after SEA-MSO. Delta Connection is simply not reliable enough to be competitive in markets that have better airlines (like Alaska/Horizon in these cases) as competitors. For DL it's either upgrade to mainline (e.g. SEA-JNU) or admit defeat and leave.
 
Bobloblaw
Posts: 2406
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:15 pm

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:58 am

IPFreely wrote:
TransWorldOne wrote:
SEA-YEG and now SEA-YYJ. Wonder what routes we'll see DL drop next from its "flourishing" Seattle hub.


SEA-YEG and SEA-YYJ come after SEA-MSO. Delta Connection is simply not reliable enough to be competitive in markets that have better airlines (like Alaska/Horizon in these cases) as competitors. For DL it's either upgrade to mainline (e.g. SEA-JNU) or admit defeat and leave.

More like those markets aren’t large enough to suport two carriers and AS is the entrenched incumbent
 
MastaHanky
Posts: 265
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 7:02 am

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:48 am

klm617 wrote:
I'm sorry but MSP-YYC-YYJ is a kind of out of the way routing compared to connecting over SEA. I would say MSP-YVR-YYJ is a better option..


MSP-YYC-YYJ is a whopping 30 miles longer than MSP-YVR-YYJ.
 
alfa164
Posts: 2912
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:04 am

IPFreely wrote:
TransWorldOne wrote:
SEA-YEG and now SEA-YYJ. Wonder what routes we'll see DL drop next from its "flourishing" Seattle hub.

SEA-YEG and SEA-YYJ come after SEA-MSO. Delta Connection is simply not reliable enough to be competitive in markets that have better airlines (like Alaska/Horizon in these cases) as competitors. For DL it's either upgrade to mainline (e.g. SEA-JNU) or admit defeat and leave.


A "better airline" like Horizon... isn't that the airline that cancelled more than 300 flights last summer because the pilots walked due to low wages?

Another unbiased opinion from the Alaska employee... :roll:

MastaHanky wrote:
klm617 wrote:
I'm sorry but MSP-YYC-YYJ is a kind of out of the way routing compared to connecting over SEA. I would say MSP-YVR-YYJ is a better option..

MSP-YYC-YYJ is a whopping 30 miles longer than MSP-YVR-YYJ.


Horrors! 30 miles longer! I'd never do that route... ;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
IPFreely
Posts: 2334
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:26 am

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:40 am

alfa164 wrote:
A "better airline" like Horizon... isn't that the airline that cancelled more than 300 flights last summer because the pilots walked due to low wages?

Another unbiased opinion


SEA-YYJ, SEA-YEG, and SEA-MSO are all routes where Delta Connection and Horizon went head to head. Horizon may not be perfect but Delta Connection is so bad they are 0-for-3 against Horizon in these SEA feeder routes. That’s not an opinion, that’s a fact.
 
yeginleduc
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:12 pm

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:52 am

Maybe DL should try YXX or YKA so they don't have to compete with AS... :)
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6264
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:08 am

yeginleduc wrote:
Maybe DL should try YXX or YKA so they don't have to compete with AS... :)


QX/AS served YKA seasonally for a few years for ski traffic, then dropped it. They’ve never served YXX.

I’m surprised that DL doesn’t try YLW. I think AS is down to 1x. I recall at least 3x in years past. Maybe YLW-SLC would work.
 
User avatar
SEAxSANxBOS
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:10 am

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:05 pm

I can tell you that it's not because the flights are empty. YYJ and YYC are almost always full and/or oversold, even in the slow times of the year. Fares may not be the best which may play a role, but I feel the two major issues are the lack of pre clear in YYJ. Which cause inbound passengers to misconnect often due to a poor SEA customs arrangement and also Compass...

Now YYC is interesting because those flights are seriously busting packed with passengers. I bet WS might be coming into SEA, but I have not heard anything to indicate that.
Does not reflect the views of Delta Air Lines

Favorite Airports: SEA, SAN, BOS, MSP, IND, CVG
 
jumbojet
Posts: 2773
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:01 am

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:34 pm

tphuang wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
With the draw-down of a couple of non-performing routes like the ones mentioned, maybe it will be replaced with SEA-DFW, SEA-OAK or other routes.


I guess if DL really wants to loose money, it can jump onto those two.


What is it with you and losing money on routes. Point A to Point B are sometimes flown to feed a more lucrative international flight. But I guess thats something you wouldn't know anything about.
 
jumbojet
Posts: 2773
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:01 am

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:35 pm

BA wrote:
OA940 wrote:
TransWorldOne wrote:
SEA-YEG and now SEA-YYJ. Wonder what routes we'll see DL drop next from its "flourishing" Seattle hub.


Wow an airline cancelled two routes from a hub that has 50 destinations. Must mean Delta sucks and Seattle is unfavorable for any sort of growth. Jesus Christ some people...


And when you point out the added frequencies and aircraft upgauges on other routes, you get silence.


They are called trolls.
 
BA
Posts: 10458
Joined: Fri May 19, 2000 11:06 am

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:29 pm

SEAxSANxBOS wrote:
I can tell you that it's not because the flights are empty. YYJ and YYC are almost always full and/or oversold, even in the slow times of the year. Fares may not be the best which may play a role, but I feel the two major issues are the lack of pre clear in YYJ. Which cause inbound passengers to misconnect often due to a poor SEA customs arrangement and also Compass...

Now YYC is interesting because those flights are seriously busting packed with passengers. I bet WS might be coming into SEA, but I have not heard anything to indicate that.


YYC is not being dropped. It's YEG that just got dropped.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran
 
User avatar
SEAxSANxBOS
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:10 am

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:41 pm

Sorry, I got crossed and confused in reading the whole thread. Swore I read YYC... YEG makes sense. YYC does not for sure. Still have not heard anything locally about this though.
Does not reflect the views of Delta Air Lines

Favorite Airports: SEA, SAN, BOS, MSP, IND, CVG
 
tphuang
Posts: 3001
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:45 pm

jumbojet wrote:
tphuang wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
With the draw-down of a couple of non-performing routes like the ones mentioned, maybe it will be replaced with SEA-DFW, SEA-OAK or other routes.


I guess if DL really wants to loose money, it can jump onto those two.


What is it with you and losing money on routes. Point A to Point B are sometimes flown to feed a more lucrative international flight. But I guess thats something you wouldn't know anything about.


I look at data and certain things are quite obvious. I really laugh at the idea that TPAC is "more lucrative". You should take a closer look at what's going in that market. The golden goose for DL is TATL flights. The entire DL west coast operation doesn't make money. Thankfully, SLC is a rockstar for them.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 4975
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:58 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
yeginleduc wrote:
Maybe DL should try YXX or YKA so they don't have to compete with AS... :)


QX/AS served YKA seasonally for a few years for ski traffic, then dropped it. They’ve never served YXX.

I’m surprised that DL doesn’t try YLW. I think AS is down to 1x. I recall at least 3x in years past. Maybe YLW-SLC would work.


According to the AS website, AS has 2X daily SEA-YLW. They don't have the RON anymore.
 
Capn
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:14 pm

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:12 pm

tphuang,

I am sure that you do a lot of research and know a lot more than I do, however if I didn't study airlines myself, I would think that Delta is the perennial loser and not the one making billions the last five years...
You always state that any new route Delta starts will lose a ton of money and " they will get killed "
They must know something you don't, no offense, but they are running a pretty good operation, don't you think?
UH-1 DEHAVILAND HERON MARTIN 404 DC-9 CHALLENGER 601 FALCON 50 & 900EX
 
yeginleduc
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:12 pm

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:53 pm

AS is definitely the price leader in the pacific northwest. Whenever i look at prices to YEG/YYC/YVR from the Bay Area, DL is usually the cheapest fare through SEA and thats not usually a good sign. Not to say they aren't making money at SEA but they aren't making as much as AS. The Canadian Dollar and economy doesn't help at the moment either. Im sure DL will try again when the time is right. Maybe after the gate expansion as suggested?
 
tphuang
Posts: 3001
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:25 pm

Capn wrote:
tphuang,

I am sure that you do a lot of research and know a lot more than I do, however if I didn't study airlines myself, I would think that Delta is the perennial loser and not the one making billions the last five years...
You always state that any new route Delta starts will lose a ton of money and " they will get killed "
They must know something you don't, no offense, but they are running a pretty good operation, don't you think?


you have to think about the amount of capacity DL offers at ATL/DTW/MSP vs these new focus cities/hubs. In terms of capacity, ATL alone is probably equivalent or greater than SEA/LAX/RDU/BOS combined and we know ATL is extremely profitable. So even it makes no money in the other 4, but have 20% margin at ATL. That along with high margins at DTW/MSP would mean it's getting above industry average margin overall. And that's more or less where it's at.

There are actually plenty of places they could build up that would be easier like IND for example, but they decided to go after the lifeline of AS.

DL's success in its fortress hubs means it can take on market share battles in several new cities. Which its main competitors AA/UA cannot. So you should think about it from that way. While DL can continue to wage long term battle in many cities. AA is cutting in NYC and many cities where it previously had large operations like BOS/PIT/RDU.
 
jumbojet
Posts: 2773
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:01 am

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:27 pm

Capn wrote:
tphuang,

I am sure that you do a lot of research and know a lot more than I do, however if I didn't study airlines myself, I would think that Delta is the perennial loser and not the one making billions the last five years...
You always state that any new route Delta starts will lose a ton of money and " they will get killed "
They must know something you don't, no offense, but they are running a pretty good operation, don't you think?


Its been widely suspected that Delta makes all their billions on ATL to BTR. Hopefully B6 doesnt enter that market otherwise there will be no more profits for Delta; no more 1.3 billion in profit sharing for employees.
 
joeljack
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:38 pm

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:26 pm

SEAxSANxBOS wrote:
I can tell you that it's not because the flights are empty. YYJ and YYC are almost always full and/or oversold, even in the slow times of the year. Fares may not be the best which may play a role, but I feel the two major issues are the lack of pre clear in YYJ. Which cause inbound passengers to misconnect often due to a poor SEA customs arrangement and also Compass...

Now YYC is interesting because those flights are seriously busting packed with passengers. I bet WS might be coming into SEA, but I have not heard anything to indicate that.


One of my best friends lives in the Midwest and flies to YYJ via SEA 2-3 times a month roundtrip as the company he works for is based in Victoria. I just got off the phone with him, he is super bummed as he was planning on hitting Delta Diamond this year but probably won't if YYJ is dropped in September. He said that loads in the summer were always full but lots of times in the winter there are only 10-20 people on the plane. He was wondering why Delta just doesn't fly this route seasonally instead of year-round?

In fact, I was wondering the same thing on YYJ-SFO, seemed like a good summer seasonal route to me on United and they just straight dropped it.
 
tphuang
Posts: 3001
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:37 pm

jumbojet wrote:

Its been widely suspected that Delta makes all their billions on ATL to BTR. Hopefully B6 doesnt enter that market otherwise there will be no more profits for Delta; no more 1.3 billion in profit sharing for employees.

sure, let's keep spreading rumours on what i said here. Did i say anywhere that DL is not printing money on ATL/DTW/MSP-SFO/LAX/SEA/SAN/JFK/SLC? we've talked long enough on this forum for you to not make stuff up.
 
User avatar
kjeld0d
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:21 pm

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:39 pm

factsonly wrote:
YYJ = Victoria Airport - Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.


+1 for bringing back the mouse over airport code feature. Has anyone seen any flying pigs lately?
 
jumbojet
Posts: 2773
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:01 am

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:08 pm

tphuang wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

Its been widely suspected that Delta makes all their billions on ATL to BTR. Hopefully B6 doesnt enter that market otherwise there will be no more profits for Delta; no more 1.3 billion in profit sharing for employees.

sure, let's keep spreading rumours on what i said here. Did i say anywhere that DL is not printing money on ATL/DTW/MSP-SFO/LAX/SEA/SAN/JFK/SLC? we've talked long enough on this forum for you to not make stuff up.


Every other post of yours on a Delta thread is about how DL loses money on xxx to yyy. When your the worlds most profitable airline, run by some of the smartest execs in the airline industry, I wouldn't be worried so much about what routes, and to a lesser extent, what focus cities and hubs, DL is losing money on. And if I took the time to add up all the routes you claim DL is losing money on, it would be a very long list. Seriously, why do you care that much?
 
jbs2886
Posts: 2113
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:19 pm

This thread is a venerable who's who of people that hate DL.
 
YYZORD
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:26 pm

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:43 pm

Well WS is getting a JV with DL so ur friend can still earn points through WS by transiting in either YYC or YVR.

joeljack wrote:
SEAxSANxBOS wrote:
I can tell you that it's not because the flights are empty. YYJ and YYC are almost always full and/or oversold, even in the slow times of the year. Fares may not be the best which may play a role, but I feel the two major issues are the lack of pre clear in YYJ. Which cause inbound passengers to misconnect often due to a poor SEA customs arrangement and also Compass...

Now YYC is interesting because those flights are seriously busting packed with passengers. I bet WS might be coming into SEA, but I have not heard anything to indicate that.


One of my best friends lives in the Midwest and flies to YYJ via SEA 2-3 times a month roundtrip as the company he works for is based in Victoria. I just got off the phone with him, he is super bummed as he was planning on hitting Delta Diamond this year but probably won't if YYJ is dropped in September. He said that loads in the summer were always full but lots of times in the winter there are only 10-20 people on the plane. He was wondering why Delta just doesn't fly this route seasonally instead of year-round?

In fact, I was wondering the same thing on YYJ-SFO, seemed like a good summer seasonal route to me on United and they just straight dropped it.
 
Capn
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:14 pm

Re: Delta to drop YYJ in September 2019

Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:14 am

tphuang,

I don't doubt that Delta makes a lot of money in ATL DTW MSP. I also believe that the other hubs and focus cities have got to contribute to the overall strength and viability of the airline, or else the management team would not continue to expand service from those cities.
While you have the ability to look at individual segments of the airline, and surmise that the margins are not what they should be, they may still be of great value to the overall plan. I agree that Delta is taking on many challenges against solid competitors, however there is no other way to expand the airline beyond its present hubs.
I think that the leadership team in place has a solid grasp on how to accomplish this and is doing so in a very conservative and prudent business manor.
They could just stick with hub and spoke flying, but that would leave very little in the way of domestic growth opportunity. I think that the current leaders see the advantages of picking up business from some of the fastest growing cities in the U.S.
I don't see AAs or UAs plans working better.
UH-1 DEHAVILAND HERON MARTIN 404 DC-9 CHALLENGER 601 FALCON 50 & 900EX

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos