LeoNYC
Topic Author

ERJ 175 Pilots bored out of their minds even on regional flights

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:45 pm

I was just reading different random articles about the Embraer plane just out of curiousity and this article caught my attention:
https://www.flyingmag.com/pilots-places ... lot#page-2

And especially this:
The one thing the Embraer does not do well is keep its pilots awake and engaged, least of all in cruise flight. There’s simply precious little to be done. Navigational cross checks, ETA and fuel calculations, maintenance notations, weather updates — all the housekeeping duties of years past are automated and available at the push of a button. So you have to find ways to pass the time, especially on long flights like our three-hour cruise from Dallas to New York. Noncompany reading material has long been banished from the flight deck, as have personal electronics in the wake of the Northwest 188 debacle. I suppose one could read the flight operations manual — but did I mention that the object is to stay awake?

I personally enjoy following our progress on a road atlas with VORs and airways overlaid. It satisfies a childhood obsession with maps that has lingered and evolved into adulthood geography geekdom. I like comparing how features appear on the page to how they look from the air, and then imagining the view from the ground. Occasionally we cross a place I’ve actually been to, and then I can make the comparison in reverse. It keeps my mind active, and I figure that if all the electronic magic somehow ever quits, it doesn’t hurt to know where we are

It seems like after getting up to the cruise altitude and before they start their preparation for landing, these guys are truly bored out of their minds because of all the automation that these modern airplanes provide. It's one thing to be bored on a long, transatlantic flight over the ocean, quite another on a relatively short flight across the US. I was surprised they are so bored and have so little to do.

RTNOBLE

Re: ERJ 175 Pilots bored out of their minds even on regional flights

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:12 pm

Is this anything specific to the ERJ175 or is it just the current state of automation today?

AAtakeMeAway

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:19 pm

Interesting ... Is this just a problem with EMB, but mainline Boeing and Airbus as well? I'm sure much of their duties have become automated as well

SierraPacific

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:22 pm

I don't really see the issue with this. Commercial airliners have never been interesting to fly in the cruise since the beginning of the jet age since it is autopilot on and flying the flight plan with the only difference being manual control of the throttles on older aircraft. I would much rather cruise being boring than exciting imho.

NYPECO

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:33 pm

Can they turn off the autopilot and hand fly if they get bored?

smallmj

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:36 pm

Well a TPAC in a E175 would get pretty exciting after about five hours...

toxtethogrady

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:37 pm

I would imagine a boring airplane that doesn't take much to fly would be a good thing to have. Given that flying can get really exciting in a really bad way really suddenly, boredom has its merits...

KLDC10

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:38 pm

NYPECO wrote:

Naturally, but there is little reason to do so at Cruise Altitude. More likely is that a Pilot might decide to wait longer to engage Autopilot after takeoff.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146
737/738/739/744/748/752/763/772/789
A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/A346/A359
Q400/E170/E175/E190/CS300

TripleDelta
Screener

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:39 pm

If you're diligent about your preparation on the ground - i.e. if your brain is proverbially already at the destination while you're still on the crew bus - you can be "bored out of your mind" on any regional flight and pretty much any aircraft.

At my carrier, we fly our Q400s on sectors that average around 1:15 block time. No autothrottle (if anything, every power change has to be accompanied by liberal use of rudder trim), no FBW, no sensible FMS VNAV profile, no automatic descent calculation, no automatic fuel checks, a simple (I could even say crude) autopilot, manual nav radio tuning... and yet you can always find considerable time with nothing to do. Our longer flights - pushing 2:30 block - feel like proper long haul, despite operating in crowded European airspace with frequent waypoint changes and ATC switchovers. Even on shorter flights - 45/50 minutes block - you can find enough time for a quick lunch if you play your cards right.

Yes, automation has helped a lot if you compare modern airliners to those of 30 years ago; but being in a position to be "bored" in today's environment is more the result of time and workload management (+ sensible procedures) than anything else.
Last edited by TripleDelta on Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawkeye: "It doesn't make any sense."
Radar: "Well, none of it makes any sense. You just have to send in the right number of forms." - MASH 4077

LeoNYC
Topic Author

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:47 pm

RTNOBLE wrote:
Is this anything specific to the ERJ175 or is it just the current state of automation today?
I have a feeling (and I am neither a pilot nor an aerospace engineer) this is more of an issue for E175 and all the Airbus planes because of the extensive automation they utilize. Boeing, at least the older models, requires more manual inputs and is not as automated and has a more "manual" approach.

Seems that especially Embraer 175 is highly automated which many experts and airlines praise, and is generally a great machine in many ways. But the flip side of that is that the pilots often have nothing to do, because of some many redundancies and auto-features. Also, the US airlines are much more stringent what pilots are prohibited from doing in the cockpit. Seems that many pilots in the foreign airlines read books and find it quite acceptable to read while flying.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:58 pm

LeoNYC wrote:
RTNOBLE wrote:
I have a feeling (and I am neither a pilot nor an aerospace engineer) this is more of an issue for E175 and all the Airbus planes because of the extensive automation they utilize. Boeing, at least the older models, requires more manual inputs and is not as automated and has a more "manual" approach.

Seems that especially Embraer 175 is highly automated which many experts and airlines praise, and is generally a great machine in many ways. But the flip side of that is that the pilots often have nothing to do, because of some many redundancies and auto-features. Also, the US airlines are much more stringent what pilots are prohibited from doing in the cockpit. Seems that many pilots in the foreign airlines read books and find it quite acceptable to read while flying.

The first paragraph hasn’t been true since the 727/-9 era ended. Then, you “flew” the course with the heading bug on autopilot, so constant awareness of drift and course was required. The 767/757 ended that and it’s only gotten more sophisticated since. Even the primitive FMS retrofitted to the C-5 ended using the heading bug navigation.

GF

LeoNYC
Topic Author

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:58 pm

Speaking of Embraer 175, I think these are the best videos on YouTube illustrating how this pilot operates this plane from JustPlanes - all by Captain Lewis from Air Canada Express (Sky Regional):

https://youtu.be/P17azgU0j1g?t=104
https://youtu.be/j8VXO-wnDsI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMdxD8WfTbE
Last edited by LeoNYC on Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BestWestern

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:59 pm

The old saying about flying

99.99%boredom
.01% sheer terror
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

LeoNYC
Topic Author

Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:03 pm

BestWestern wrote:

99.99%boredom
.01% sheer terror
:D :lol:

ual763

Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:07 pm

SierraPacific wrote:
I don't really see the issue with this. Commercial airliners have never been interesting to fly in the cruise since the beginning of the jet age since it is autopilot on and flying the flight plan with the only difference being manual control of the throttles on older aircraft. I would much rather cruise being boring than exciting imho.

Anything that had the Delco Carousel CIV-A kept you busy in cruise. Had to constantly update the coordinates of waypoints after passing one. It could only store 9 at a time.
From flying to the NOTAM office

Varsity1

Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:20 pm

You are climbing and descending as ATC navigates you around traffic, receiving re routes for weather, winds, fuel and traffic, setting up the avionics and preparing for flying the arrival. Flights aren't usually 3 hours of cruise in the 175, and they aren't that boring either.

Sounds like a slow news day by a lousy reporter.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

OA940

Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:27 pm

I'll say I'd rather be bored than actually preoccupied in an aircraft that's made to handle most of the flying. Also isn't this exact thing the case on all aircraft since, like, the 757/767?
A350/CSeries = bae

BoeingGuy

Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:02 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
NYPECO wrote:

Naturally, but there is little reason to do so at Cruise Altitude. More likely is that a Pilot might decide to wait longer to engage Autopilot after takeoff.

Actually you can’t in RVSM airspeed. One requirement for RVSM is that the Autopilot is engaged.

FlapsOne

Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:13 pm

Hurry. Someone post a link to children of the magenta line.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:18 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
KLDC10 wrote:
NYPECO wrote:

Actually you can’t in RVSM airspeed. One requirement for RVSM is that the Autopilot is engaged.

Commonly thought and invariably done, but the wording is “should be engaged” not “shall be engaged”.

An automatic altitude-control system should be operative and engaged during level cruise, except when circumstances such as the need to re-trim the aircraft or turbulence require disengagement. In any event, adherence to cruise altitude should be done by reference to one of the two primary altimeters. Following loss of the automatic height-keeping function, any consequential restrictions will need to be observed.

Ziyulu

Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:28 pm

Purposely fly into turbulence and that will spice things up.

tkoenig95

Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:34 pm

Are we actually going to start complaining about automation that has increased the safety of flight? Can't please everyone I guess.

flyby519

Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:44 pm

SierraPacific wrote:

^^^This right here

In the past they got away with much more “exciting” ways to pass the time in the cockpit.

OSL777FLYER

Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:56 pm

A cousin of my cousin again is a B737 captain here in Europe. He generally finds the aircraft a delight to fly. BUT as he also says, pilots like to do manual things. i.e. several landings/take-offs a day.

Their longest sector is about 6 hours and that he hates. While in cruise you basically, according to him, just sit there, you monitor fuel, weather and radio but 6 hours each way is a long day of doing very little.

DocLightning

Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:03 pm

When I was aboard a cruise ship as a passenger taking a bridge tour, an ear-splitting alarm went off. A crewman went running to respond to it. When we asked what that was all about, the first officer explained: "That goes off every fifteen minutes and its purpose is to ensure that we are all alive up here. If we don't shut it off within 30 seconds, the captain will be summoned and come running up."

Do airplanes have a similar system? I know it's not the total solution, but I figured this was a good place to ask.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

airtran737

Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:27 pm

NYPECO wrote:

Not when at an RVSM altitude. We fly all the time with the autopilot on MEL and it sucks.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

MIflyer12

Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:14 pm

tkoenig95 wrote:
Are we actually going to start complaining about automation that has increased the safety of flight? Can't please everyone I guess.

The bored pilots can consider it a learning opportunity: if they're bored with 3 hour flights they ought to find a new profession before being tasked with 4-8 hour flights. Perhaps selling real estate will keep them more entertained and engaged.

SierraPacific

Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:26 pm

DocLightning wrote:
When I was aboard a cruise ship as a passenger taking a bridge tour, an ear-splitting alarm went off. A crewman went running to respond to it. When we asked what that was all about, the first officer explained: "That goes off every fifteen minutes and its purpose is to ensure that we are all alive up here. If we don't shut it off within 30 seconds, the captain will be summoned and come running up."

Do airplanes have a similar system? I know it's not the total solution, but I figured this was a good place to ask.

The bigger Boeing aircraft do (747 and 777). I do not think the 737 does but there are other tasks in the 737 that have to be accomplished in cruise that negates the need for it. I do not believe Airbus aircraft have a crew alertness monitor.

BWIAirport

Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:29 pm

Have Embraer take out the autothrottle a la the CRJ. Give 'em something to do.
Next flight: November 23 BA216 IAD-LHR A388
November 24 BA814 LHR-CPH A320

SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

WPvsMW

Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:39 pm

Similar thread, about long haul.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1416711

SuseJ772

Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:52 pm

I guess I never realized you couldn’t read non company material or have personal electronic devices up there. I always assumed that is what you did during cruise.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

DLHAM

Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:57 pm

smallmj wrote:

:rotfl: you made my day man!
My Instagram Account: Instagram

ThalesCoelho

Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:08 am

I fly a '83 King Air C90, no automation, just a GNS530, flew some hours as a C152 flight instructor, and the answer is: cruise phase is boring. No big deal to do, just keep the track, the altitude, change some frequencies and we are done.
Last edited by ThalesCoelho on Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

mcg

Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:11 am

DocLightning wrote:

I believe trains have similar systems.

INFINITI329

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:02 am

LeoNYC wrote:
Speaking of Embraer 175, I think these are the best videos on YouTube illustrating how this pilot operates this plane from JustPlanes - all by Captain Lewis from Air Canada Express (Sky Regional):

Air Canada not Air Canada Express... The Air Canada E175/E190 series for just planes was published 2012 which is prior to Sky Regional taking over E175 flying from Air Canada mainline

DLHAM wrote:
smallmj wrote:

:rotfl: you made my day man!

:rotfl: :rotfl: ..a seaembraer

mcg wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

A dead-man's vigilance device

jasonelantra

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:20 am

Ziyulu wrote:
Purposely fly into turbulence and that will spice things up.

Or joining the “410 club”.

conaly

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:26 am

mcg wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

They do. Friend of mine is a train driver on German commuter trains, been a few times with him while he was driving. If there are no control inputs like acceleration or brakes for about 30 seconds, the train will ring an alert. Then you have to press a "dead man's button" to confirm you are still awake, otherwise the train will perform an automated emergency stop. Same hapoens if you press the button for to long. There are more systems like that, for example if you pass a signal you have to confirm you noticed it, or else: emergency stop.

Some cars so have similar fatigue systems, too. My car analyses my driving style all the time and after a long drive it can warm me to stop for a short break. It won't interfere with the controls though.

Not sure how you could handle this in an airplane. I've read of systems like this in Long range aircraft, but never seen any videos or recordings of it. On the other hand: most times you have at least two people in the cockpit, so I believe this could be enough. What you do against boredom should be up to you. I believe pilots do talk a lot with each other, including small talk.

Not sure if this is comparible, but I work as an IT-Admin for power plants. Some works require for me to update servers. This can take up to many many hours, where I can do absolutely nothing. One click every 30-60 minutes and that's it, but still need to monitor what the server is doing. I can imagine how boring it gets in the cockpit, if there is absolutely nothing to do and you can't even use your phone.
Airports 2019: ADB, ALG, AMD, ATL, BOS, CTS, DEL, DTW, DUS, EWR, FRA, HND, IST, JFK, MUC, NUE, PHL, SIN, STN, YYZ
Planned 2019: BOG, CDG, FRA, FUK, HIJ, HND, MUC, NGO, NUE, OKA, ZRH

bob75013

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:29 am

BestWestern wrote:

99.99%boredom
.01% sheer terror

When I got my license the saying was "flying is hours of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror."

BoeingGuy

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:34 am

DocLightning wrote:

Sort of. Boeing airplanes have an optional feature called the Crew Alertness Monitor. In cruise it looks for inputs from a number of things. If nothing happens for 20 minutes it put up an EICAS Advisory message “CREW RESPONSE”. Then if still no inputs by 25 minutes it annunciates it as an EICAS Caution. After 30 minutes it’s an EICAS Warning with the siren aural. During descent the time thresholds are much shorter.

I like to call it the “WAKE THE F**K UP” alert. I thought the EICAS message should say that instead of CREW RESPONSE.
Last edited by BoeingGuy on Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

BoeingGuy

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:38 am

SierraPacific wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

The bigger Boeing aircraft do (747 and 777). I do not think the 737 does but there are other tasks in the 737 that have to be accomplished in cruise that negates the need for it. I do not believe Airbus aircraft have a crew alertness monitor.

As I mentioned, it’s an optional feature. Only some customers take it. But yes, it’s only offered on EICAS airplanes, not the 737.

AirKevin

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:39 am

conaly wrote:
Not sure how you could handle this in an airplane. I've read of systems like this in Long range aircraft, but never seen any videos or recordings of it. On the other hand: most times you have at least two people in the cockpit, so I believe this could be enough. What you do against boredom should be up to you. I believe pilots do talk a lot with each other, including small talk.

Like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_llyS20J0Ac&t=4m29s
Captain Kevin

Yossarian22

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:50 am

DocLightning wrote:

When I flew a 5 or 6 hour redeye on AirAsia from KUL to PVG, I noticed in the front gallery a note that said:

Call Flight Deck:
12:30AM
1:30AM
2:30AM
3:30AM

Not the exact times, but they had a note to call the flightdeck every hour at cruise, during a long redeye.

I assumed that was to make sure the pilots were awake.

strfyr51

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:02 am

LeoNYC wrote:
RTNOBLE wrote:

It's overly automated until the flight management system Glitches. Then they'll want to refuse the airplane because they have to Hand fly it!!

jfklganyc

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:03 am

You’re never that removed if you’re doing it right.

Always need to monitor fuel
always need to know where you’re at
always need to know what you’re going to do if...

Guys usually read the newspaper or a book during the slow times. That’s fine.

I Have more of an issue with the guys that start watching movies on their laptops… Takes them out of the whole situation a little too much.

The newest problem is the phone and inflight internet. Big problem because it never goes away.

Honestly, most of us are making between two and three dollars a minute to sit there.

Being bored at altitude is very lucrative. Deal with it.

Also, whenever I have thought the job was too easy...something happens...so I have banished that thought

OSL777FLYER

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:10 am

DocLightning wrote:

I was on a Lufthansa B747-400 2 months ago during a night flight. I was chatting to the purser and he told me that every 20 minutes on night flights, they call the cockpit to see if everything is OK and if they need anything.

Pretty nice way of doing things I would say.

N766UA

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:08 am

OSL777FLYER wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

I was on a Lufthansa B747-400 2 months ago during a night flight. I was chatting to the purser and he told me that every 20 minutes on night flights, they call the cockpit to see if everything is OK and if they need anything.

That would annoy the piss out of me.

Max Q

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:59 am

OSL777FLYER wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

Pretty annoying, calling the cockpit every twenty minutes !

Any FA that kept doing that would soon be stopped at my airline
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

Avgeek21

Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:03 am

I call b*s on this article. Nothing wrong with the E175, or any e-Jet for that matter. It’s such a lovely plane. I flew it for 3 years. Now on the Boeing 737. We do a little more on long flights on the 737 but the difference compard to any E-Jet is 0.01. We just have to manually tune enroute VOR’s and switch off the center tank fuel pumps when the tank is empty. That’s it. Everything else is 100% the same. Our companies SOP is that cabin crew calls us every 20 minutes. Day and night. And yes you will get bored. But that’s life. Talk to eachother, read a book or go stretch your legs in the galley and talk to someone else. Or take some controlled rest and sleep for 20 min.

747Whale

Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:54 am

LeoNYC wrote:
I was just reading different random articles about the Embraer plane just out of curiousity and this article caught my attention:
https://www.flyingmag.com/pilots-places ... lot#page-2

And especially this:
The one thing the Embraer does not do well is keep its pilots awake and engaged, least of all in cruise flight. There’s simply precious little to be done. Navigational cross checks, ETA and fuel calculations, maintenance notations, weather updates — all the housekeeping duties of years past are automated and available at the push of a button. So you have to find ways to pass the time, especially on long flights like our three-hour cruise from Dallas to New York. Noncompany reading material has long been banished from the flight deck, as have personal electronics in the wake of the Northwest 188 debacle. I suppose one could read the flight operations manual — but did I mention that the object is to stay awake?

I personally enjoy following our progress on a road atlas with VORs and airways overlaid. It satisfies a childhood obsession with maps that has lingered and evolved into adulthood geography geekdom. I like comparing how features appear on the page to how they look from the air, and then imagining the view from the ground. Occasionally we cross a place I’ve actually been to, and then I can make the comparison in reverse. It keeps my mind active, and I figure that if all the electronic magic somehow ever quits, it doesn’t hurt to know where we are

It seems like after getting up to the cruise altitude and before they start their preparation for landing, these guys are truly bored out of their minds because of all the automation that these modern airplanes provide. It's one thing to be bored on a long, transatlantic flight over the ocean, quite another on a relatively short flight across the US. I was surprised they are so bored and have so little to do.

Three hours is a "long flight?"

This is the state of the millennial mind.

I submit that those who find themselves bored in flight have themselves to blame, and perhaps ought not be claiming the title of pilot. Those who sit through a flight without anything to do are passengers, save that most passengers are far better at occupying their time.

There is plenty to do in flight; those claiming to be bored are too lazy and unprofessional to do it.

YYZatcboy

Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:13 am

A very well written and interesting article, that has next to nothing to do with the OPs quote, other than that it is what is supposed to draw you into the article. He goes on to explain how pilots talk and get to know each other, the challenges faced by the regional industry, the beauty of flying at night and many other topics.

Its a pity that I seem to be the only one here who bothered to read it.
DH1/3/4 MD11/88 L1011 A319/20/21/30/50/80 717 727 735/6/7/8/9 744 762/3 77E/W E40/75/90 CRJ/700/705 CC150
J/S DH8D 736/7/8 763

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos