Jutlander
Topic Author

What if a domestic flight diverts to a foreign airport?

Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:38 am

I was wondering what would happen if a domestic flight overflying a foreign country has to divert.

For example a flight SEA-BOS, that overflies part of Canada. Suppose over Canadian airspace something happens and the flight diverts to YYZ. But the pax were boarded for domestic, some might not even have passports. What happens?

GSPFlyer

Re: What if a domestic flight diverts to a foreign airport?

Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:40 am

I assume they would stay on board the original plane until a second plane comes to "rescue" them.

TTailedTiger

Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:41 am

I'm guessing they would either remain on the plane until the airline sends a replacement aircraft to pick them up or they would be taken to an immigration hall where they would wait.

vhqpa

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:15 am

In this specific example given that most major Canadian airports have US pre clearance facilities. Wouldn't it be possible in theory that the aircraft could dock and disembark passengers back into the precleared departures lounge, then continue their journey arriving as a domestic passenger like any other precleared transborder flight.

In practice though depending on the nature of the diversion it's probably more likely they'll sit at a remote bay until they can depart again.

A more extreme example would be a ORY-RUN flight diverting to somewhere on the African continent with no preclearance facilities at all.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

Apprentice

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:36 am

From around 1965 to 1980, many ac were diverted to La Havana. Pax stayed on the Airport till a plane took them back. At that time, no US’s citizen were allowed to in in Cuba, even with a up to date passport
Rgds
“An4; IL18; IL6; Tu5; D10; MD11; MD83; B32; B34: B37; B744; B748; B752; B763; B772; B773; B77W; A320; A332; A333; A342; A343.
"A NO" is a positive answer., "DON'T KNOW" is not. My Tutor (a wise man)
“CUBANA” 90 years Flying”

mackdad

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:02 am

The domestic route that has the most potential of diverting in a foreign country would be anything coming in and out of Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands. You have the Dominican Republic, Turks & Caicos, Bermuda and Bahamas as all divert options,

TWA772LR

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:08 am

If the situation is minor and the hypothetical BOS-SEA flight keep flying a reasonable distance, they could make it to (for example) DTW.

If it were a severe medical emergency or the aircraft itself were in danger, political boundaries don't mean jack for the well being of human beings. The NW DC10 diverting to Tehran is the prime example.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

FlyboyOz

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:41 am

Interesting topic!

I believe that Air France has some long haul "domestic" flights - eg from Paris to Tahiti or New Caledonia or Madagascar.

I heard a story from British Airways. British Airways also had long haul "domestic" flight - between London and Hong Kong. Pax must carry their own passport just in case of diversion.
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

Qantas16

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:49 am

Air New Zealand's flight from BNE (probably SYD too) to NLK (Norfolk Island) is an Australian domestic route and they file NOU (New Caledonia) as an alternate... so you could have a New Zealand airline operating an Australian domestic route divert to France... I don't know whether this has ever actually happened though.

Cubsrule

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:57 am

FlyboyOz wrote:
I heard a story from British Airways. British Airways also had long haul "domestic" flight - between London and Hong Kong. Pax must carry their own passport just in case of diversion.

All Lower 48-Alaska flights overfly Canada. All US-Hawaii flights overfly international waters. This time of year, a decent number of Texas-Hawaii flights overfly Mexico.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Gangurru

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:47 am

I think the examples like Norfolk Island, UK-Hong Kong and French Territories aren’t true domestic as these used international terminals and some form of border controls are/were applied. A good example for the US would also be the Guam-Hawaii flights diverting to a 3rd country.

As mentioned, there are protocols in place for border crossings without a passport in emergency or exceptional circumstances.

However in most cases diverted passenges will be kept in a secure area of the airport until onward travel is arranged. The airline often requests this for logistical reasons as much as border control considerations.

aemoreira1981

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:17 am

FlyboyOz wrote:
Interesting topic!

I believe that Air France has some long haul "domestic" flights - eg from Paris to Tahiti or New Caledonia or Madagascar.

I think that this is much more relevant for French carriers, especially on CDG or ORY to RUN. Outside Europe, it overflies Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia, and Somalia. Another possibility might be on ORY to CAY, where PBM is likely the filed alternate. Both are technically domestic flights, but do French carriers require passports on such flights just in case? Flights from Paris to Tahiti would require visa waiver fees since they make a USA stop, or a visa if not from a visa waiver country.

mict

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:34 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
FlyboyOz wrote:
Interesting topic!

I think that this is much more relevant for French carriers, especially on CDG or ORY to RUN. Outside Europe, it overflies Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia, and Somalia. Another possibility might be on ORY to CAY, where PBM is likely the filed alternate. Both are technically domestic flights, but do French carriers require passports on such flights just in case? Flights from Paris to Tahiti would require visa waiver fees since they make a USA stop, or a visa if not from a visa waiver country.

No Passport required on CDG/ORY to RUN

777PHX

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:51 am

Jutlander wrote:
I was wondering what would happen if a domestic flight overflying a foreign country has to divert.

For example a flight SEA-BOS, that overflies part of Canada. Suppose over Canadian airspace something happens and the flight diverts to YYZ. But the pax were boarded for domestic, some might not even have passports. What happens?

They stay on the plane.

yeginleduc

Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:40 am

If its a longer delay at one the more major airports then they will negotiate a corner of the terminal they can section off. When the MSP-ANC flights stopped in YEG due to mechanical reasons i remember them parking at a gate and they would close off a wall and give people access to washrooms while a rescue flight was sent.

At the end of the day I think most airlines and airports do have a plan for what to do when foreign aircraft land and they will do the best to accommodate.

bhxalex

Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:38 am

777PHX wrote:
Jutlander wrote:

They stay on the plane.

How about a divert in Europe on a Kaliningrad to/from anywhere else in Russia flight?

OccupiedLav

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:06 am

A few months back a United 777 diverted to somewhere in Newfoundland, and the passengers were forced to remain on the plane for about 15 hours because there was no customs officer on duty. If something ridiculous like that can happen, I wouldn't be surprised if the passengers on a SEA-BOS flight (given that they don't have passports) would not be allowed to deplane until a replacement aircraft arrived. There is little leniency when it comes to customs.

B8887

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:12 am

It's usually dealt with common sense.

No different than the long-haulers which have to divert to a very sparsely populated location in Russia on a regular basis or the well documented cases which had to divert to Iran.

Pax are kept on plane/sterile part of terminal/hotel until the replacement/solution arrives..

Regards.

B8887

ro1960

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:30 am

FlyboyOz wrote:
Interesting topic!

Flight to Tahiti have a stopover in LAX, so passport and US visa required. New Caledonia flights are routed via NRT, so passport and maybe visas as well.

Madagascar is not a part of France. It has been independent since 1960.

For further reading on domestic long routes, see this thread:
https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1415853
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

747Whale

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:38 am

OccupiedLav wrote:
A few months back a United 777 diverted to somewhere in Newfoundland, and the passengers were forced to remain on the plane for about 15 hours because there was no customs officer on duty. If something ridiculous like that can happen, I wouldn't be surprised if the passengers on a SEA-BOS flight (given that they don't have passports) would not be allowed to deplane until a replacement aircraft arrived. There is little leniency when it comes to customs.

January of this year, UAL 179, KEWR-VHHH, stranded in Goose Bay.

https://onemileatatime.com/united-777-s ... goose-bay/

Then there are other countries in which it's really not safe to divert.

Gemuser

Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:11 am

Qantas16 wrote:
Air New Zealand's flight from BNE (probably SYD too) to NLK (Norfolk Island) is an Australian domestic route and they file NOU (New Caledonia) as an alternate... so you could have a New Zealand airline operating an Australian domestic route divert to France... I don't know whether this has ever actually happened though.

AFAIK not with NZ but it did happen back when Norfolk Airlines [?] was operating BNE - NLK. Something happened to the navaids on NLk and the aircraft diverted to its alternate - NOU.

Gemuser

FlyRow

Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:52 am

FlyboyOz wrote:
Interesting topic!

Really? Dutch flights to Aruba/Bonaire/Curacao/St,Maarten count as international flights. While some of these are even officially part of the netherlands and not only the kingdom.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

PatrickZ80

Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:26 am

FlyRow wrote:
FlyboyOz wrote:
Interesting topic!

Really? Dutch flights to Aruba/Bonaire/Curacao/St,Maarten count as international flights. While some of these are even officially part of the netherlands and not only the kingdom.

Only Bonaire, St. Eustatius and Saba are still officially part of the Netherlands. Out of those, only Bonaire is capable of handling long haul flights. But no flights ever go to just Bonaire, they stop at other islands too. Those are foreign, after all the Netherlands Antilles (Aruba, Curacao and St. Maarten) is an independent country.

Because of the stop in a foreign country those flights classify as international. Only a flight between the Netherlands and Bonaire with no stops in other places would count as domestic, but such flights don't exist.

senatorflyer

Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:28 am

At least in Europe, the majority of airlines check your passport during the physical checkin process. Even if no passport is required while travelling in the Schengen area, people still carry one, or at least have their ID with them.

Lufthansa

Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:12 pm

I wouldn't worry. where this is most likely to occur is on the US - Canada border or non Schengen countries borders. in reality they'll divert to the other side of the border or if its that urgent they won't be staying onboard. They'll call mayday and the moment its safe to those slides go down. keeping everyone safe ALWAYS comes first.

Cunard

Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:14 pm

FlyboyOz wrote:
Interesting topic!

London to Hong Kong was never classed as a Domestic Flight, this has been discussed here on a.net many many times.

Passengers still had to travel with a passport and clear immigration and customs at each end of their flight.

Google it as your find the information regarding Hong Kong once being a British Overseas Territory but not being part of the United Kingdom.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

RyanairGuru

Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:21 pm

Gemuser wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:

AFAIK not with NZ but it did happen back when Norfolk Airlines [?] was operating BNE - NLK. Something happened to the navaids on NLk and the aircraft diverted to its alternate - NOU.

Gemuser

If it was Norfolk Airlines that diverted to NOU then it would have at least been before July 1 2016 when flights from Australia to NLK were reclassified as domestic flights. Back then passengers would have been carrying their passport.

Since 2016 NLK is classed as a domestic destination and passports are no longer required, but we still advise our clients travelling to NLK to carry their passport regardless precisely for this reason. A diversion to NOU or AKL is statistically relatively likely.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

PatrickZ80

Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:43 pm

Cunard wrote:
Google it as your find the information regarding Hong Kong once being a British Overseas Territory but not being part of the United Kingdom.

Indeed British Overseas Territories are not part of the UK, but neither are British Crown Dependencies such as Guernsey, Jersey and Isle of Man. Still a flight from the UK to a Crown Dependency is considered domestic, isn't it? Technically it should be international as Crown Dependencies aren't part of the UK.

Let's imagine a flight from the UK to Guernsey, however upon arrival they find the island fogged in and are unable to land. They decide to divert to Cherbourg (France). As long as the UK is still part of the EU, this shouldn't be a problem. But after the Brexit the situation will become different.

OA260

Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:54 pm

FlyboyOz wrote:

Never heard that one before and it was not the case either. I flew into Kai Tak before the hand over and it most certainly was an International flight.

smallvoyageur

Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:59 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Cunard wrote:

Indeed British Overseas Territories are not part of the UK, but neither are British Crown Dependencies such as Guernsey, Jersey and Isle of Man. Still a flight from the UK to a Crown Dependency is considered domestic, isn't it? Technically it should be international as Crown Dependencies aren't part of the UK.

Let's imagine a flight from the UK to Guernsey, however upon arrival they find the island fogged in and are unable to land. They decide to divert to Cherbourg (France). As long as the UK is still part of the EU, this shouldn't be a problem. But after the Brexit the situation will become different.

Flights between the mainland and the Islands are classed as domestic as they're in the Common Travel Area, and thus no passport is required. However, for security some kind of ID is demanded like a driving licence.

Bostrom

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:27 pm

mict wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:
FlyboyOz wrote:
Interesting topic!

No Passport required on CDG/ORY to RUN

RUN is not in Schengen so a passport or national ID should be required.

DesertAir

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:53 pm

This could be a possibility in the San Diego area where the San Diego y Tijuana Airports are about 25 miles apart. Actually when there are Santa Ana conditions (winds from the desert east) planes landing at the Tijuana International Airport fly over US air space on approach.

303dk

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:29 pm

mackdad wrote:
The domestic route that has the most potential of diverting in a foreign country would be anything coming in and out of Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands. You have the Dominican Republic, Turks & Caicos, Bermuda and Bahamas as all divert options,

Flights from the USVI to the states or PR have to clear customs before boarding. When preclearance is closed, they’re an international arrival. Same with Guam to Hawaii.

airbazar

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:48 pm

FlyboyOz wrote:
Interesting topic!

The answer is really easy: You either wait on the plane or wait in the terminal. Most countries (and correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Canada and Mexico are like this too), have air side transit areas at their airport. You get off the plane and go right into the terminal without having to clear customs and immigration. So if you have to leave the plane you wait inside the terminal. It's really a non-issue.
It's primarily the U.S. that forces people to clear immigration and customs even if they don't want to enter the country.

ro1960

Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:50 pm

Bostrom wrote:

RUN is not in Schengen so a passport or national ID should be required.

This has nothing to do with Schengen. Travel occurs within the French territory so no passport is required. However a valid ID is necessary to board a plane pretty much anywhere in Europe. A national ID card will do between France and RUN to verify the passenger's identity matches that of the boarding pass. But no border control.

ro1960

Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:54 pm

smallvoyageur wrote:
However, for security some kind of ID is demanded like a driving licence.

Driving licences are not valid travel IDs in the EU. Only national ID cards and passports.

OA260

Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:02 pm

ro1960 wrote:
smallvoyageur wrote:

Driving licences are not valid travel IDs in the EU. Only national ID cards and passports.

They are however permitted within the CTA area of two EU countries.

---

The following forms of photo identification are acceptable once they are in date:

Valid passport or Irish passport card
Driver’s licence with photo
International student card
Government issued photo ID cards
Health insurance cards with photo/social security cards with photo
Bus pass with photo
Work ID with photo

www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/pa ... m-britain/

ro1960

Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:26 pm

OA260 wrote:
ro1960 wrote:
smallvoyageur wrote:

They are however permitted within the CTA area of two EU countries.

---

The following forms of photo identification are acceptable once they are in date:

Valid passport or Irish passport card
Driver’s licence with photo
International student card
Government issued photo ID cards
Health insurance cards with photo/social security cards with photo
Bus pass with photo
Work ID with photo

http://www.aerlingus.com/travel-informa ... m-britain/

Only for travel within the CTA and only for Irish or British citizens:
"Citizens of countries other than Ireland and Britain must produce a valid passport and visa where applicable for travel between Ireland and Britain."

Anywhere else in the EU this applies:
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/eu-citizen/index_en.htm

konkret

Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:41 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
FlyRow wrote:
FlyboyOz wrote:
Interesting topic!

Only Bonaire, St. Eustatius and Saba are still officially part of the Netherlands. Out of those, only Bonaire is capable of handling long haul flights. But no flights ever go to just Bonaire, they stop at other islands too. Those are foreign, after all the Netherlands Antilles (Aruba, Curacao and St. Maarten) is an independent country.

Because of the stop in a foreign country those flights classify as international. Only a flight between the Netherlands and Bonaire with no stops in other places would count as domestic, but such flights don't exist.

Nethetlands Antilles was dissolved in 2010

canyonblue17

Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:25 am

What happens if during the diversion, someone has a medical issue that requires being transported to a hospital?
negative ghostrider the pattern is full

konkret

Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:04 am

ro1960 wrote:
A national ID card will do between France and RUN to verify the passenger's identity matches that of the boarding pass. But no border control.

You are wrong - when traveling between mainland France and its overseas departments/territories there is passport/ID control by the "police nationale".

ubeema

Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:47 am

common sense should trump laws and regulations anywhere. Look at the passenger of the now infamous Norvergian diversion in Iran. Passengers were accommodated in hotel for a night and left next day on new plane. However the plane was stranded a little over 2 months due to US sanctions

https://norwaytoday.info/news/norwegian ... d-in-iran/

mackdad

Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:48 am

303dk wrote:
mackdad wrote:

Flights from the USVI to the states or PR have to clear customs before boarding. When preclearance is closed, they’re an international arrival. Same with Guam to Hawaii.

No passport required so it is considered domestic out of Puerto Rico. What you clear is actually agriculture like you do coming from Hawaii where they X-ray your bags to make sure you don’t bring back any pests to the mainland. Out of USVI you have go thru a verification process making sure you are a US citizen. No need to have a passport just a birth certificate since the Virgin Islands is an open port and have people crossing to and from the British Virgin Islands. Passport not required to go to and from USVI. I was just there two weeks ago and the US customs officer told me that. So those destinations are domestic routes since you never leave the USA. The process to Guam is due to the fact you have only one domestic flight going into Guam (Hawaii) and they don’t have a domestic arrival hall. That’s why you go thru immigration.

303dk

Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:00 am

mackdad wrote:
303dk wrote:
mackdad wrote:

No passport required so it is considered domestic out of Puerto Rico. What you clear is actually agriculture like you do coming from Hawaii where they X-ray your bags to make sure you don’t bring back any pests to the mainland. Out of USVI you have go thru a verification process making sure you are a US citizen. No need to have a passport just a birth certificate since the Virgin Islands is an open port and have people crossing to and from the British Virgin Islands. Passport not required to go to and from USVI. I was just there two weeks ago and the US customs officer told me that. So those destinations are domestic routes since you never leave the USA. The process to Guam is due to the fact you have only one domestic flight going into Guam (Hawaii) and they don’t have a domestic arrival hall. That’s why you go thru immigration.

No passport required, but if CBP is closed at a USVI airport, you’re a regular international arrival in the USA. Still no passport required, but the process is the same. Nearly every day, a STT-SJU flight departs after preclearance has closed and is an international arrival at SJU.

303dk

Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:01 am

303dk wrote:
mackdad wrote:
303dk wrote:

No passport required, but if CBP is closed at a USVI airport, you’re a regular international arrival in the USA. Still no passport required, but the process is the same. Nearly every day, a STT-SJU flight departs after preclearance has closed and is an international arrival at SJU.
I’m not sure what you mean about “open port.” Passports are required to travel between the US and British VI.

ninspeed

Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:13 am

canyonblue17 wrote:
What happens if during the diversion, someone has a medical issue that requires being transported to a hospital?

Simple, a Customs officer will usually remain with the passenger during the visit to the hospital. I have seen diversions if planes going to west coast US from Europe or east coast US from Asia make a diversion here in YYC ( Calgary Alberta) where the passenger is sent off in an ambulance and there is a customs officer following the ambulance.

FlyboyOz

Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:42 am

Qantas16 wrote:

Oh yeah I forgot about it. My friend went to NLF for holiday and told me that pax must bring passports as well.
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

asuflyer

Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:55 am

AC has in the past diverted domestic Canadian flights to BTV during bad weather at YUL. The a/c were refueled and then fly on to YUL.

B8887

Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:28 am

Is there even a case in which a tech or medical diversion caused a serious diplomatic or security incident?..

I don't think there's even one actually. You'd probably need to go way back in time, but even then I'm not sure it ever happened..

Boredom usually becomes the worst part I think.

Regards.

B8887

Gemuser

Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:49 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
Gemuser wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:

Gemuser

If it was Norfolk Airlines that diverted to NOU then it would have at least been before July 1 2016 when flights from Australia to NLK were reclassified as domestic flights. Back then passengers would have been carrying their passport.

Since 2016 NLK is classed as a domestic destination and passports are no longer required, but we still advise our clients travelling to NLK to carry their passport regardless precisely for this reason. A diversion to NOU or AKL is statistically relatively likely.

Before 2016! This was before 2006, at least and possibly before 2000, I forget. It was a Beach King Air operated flight.

Gemuser

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos