Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

texl1649
Topic Author

DFW delays

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:24 pm

This seems to be endemic to DFW, a brief passing thunderstorm caused hours of delays for departures. Today the weather has been clear for two hours now and yet the pile up on the apron is enormous.

A few years ago a number of ATC controllers were fired for capricious management I recall, but it hasn’t gotten any better. Any insight here as to why this airport seems so miserable at actually moving planes from the gate to the runway? AA also seems to discover planes on landing still, and then look for an open gate, but that’s a minor inconvenience overall.

MIflyer12

Re: DFW delays

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:08 pm

Is it really worse than other U.S. airports with a comparable number of commercial aircraft movements, like LAX, DEN or CLT? Data?

janders

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:43 pm

Why is it an ATC issue?

Prob more to do with AA running a massive hub with only so many gates and staff.
When things go sideways for a few hours the delays can cascade for much of the remainder of the day.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

Scarebus34

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:48 pm

Weather to the East is causing routing constraints which leads to departure delays. Also, flights coming from the east will be late as they have to route around weather.

UpNAWAy

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:48 pm

Extremly windy today.

Ishrion

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:57 pm

AA102 from HNL diverted to AFW and has now landed at DFW.
Leaving the forums. You may know where to find me.

DL747400

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:00 pm

OP drank too much drama this morning.

Boots on the ground and in the DFW towers indicate that this was a short lived weather event and a case of bad timing. A moderately strong but thin line of thunderstorms forming along the leading edges of two air masses; colder, drier air coming in from the WNW meeting warm, moist Gulf air coming up from the south. The storms passed through relatively quickly, but occurred during the first heavy inbound/outbound flight bank of the day. Following some arrival delays on the inbound bank, there were isolated pockets of small hail and just enough lightning activity was observed to close the ramp. This created departure delays.

Typical springtime weather in TX. Overall very minor in the big picture. End of story.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

blueflyer

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:33 pm

Ishrion wrote:

ugh an AFW diversion is sooo frustrating! So close...

Ishrion

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:42 pm

blueflyer wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Not gonna lie I would be insanely happy. It would be amazing to experience a short flight like that on a 777.

Ishrion

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:42 pm

Some strong winds at DFW, AA1625 788 from ORD went around.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flig ... 5#1fbefa59

Antarius

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:49 pm

Ishrion wrote:
blueflyer wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Not gonna lie I would be insanely happy. It would be amazing to experience a short flight like that on a 777.

Not to mention having that airport code on your list of having been. :)
Militant Centrist
Let's all just use some common sense

glbltrvlr

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:53 pm

One of my worst travel experiences was DFW in the spring.We were delayed an hour leaving from ABQ. The flight took over 2 hours (scheduled for 90 minutes) dodging thunderstorms, and then when we landed we were directed to park on a taxiway in western Louisiana with 100 or so other aircraft to wait for lighting near the field to diminish. Two hours later a gate finally opened up.

AWACSooner

Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:42 pm

In my experiences, the WORST weather delays for thunderstorms for the entire CONUS have been at DFW...hyperbole, I know, but it seems that they start the delays as soon as there's a lightning strike within 500 miles. I've lost count the number of delays and cancelations I've had from there in the past decade alone...more than ATL/DEN/NYC/CHI combined.

usairways787

Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:50 pm

texl1649 wrote:
AA also seems to discover planes on landing still, and then look for an open gate, but that’s a minor inconvenience overall.

Except to the ground crews who are now incredibly short staffed and over worked.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:01 pm

At ATL, they set their clocks to the evening thunderstorms that occur with amazing regularity. None of the personnel seemed the least bit fazed by it; in fact, one red coat announced, "this will pass through us within twenty minutes!"

Fifteen minutes later, operations had been restored.

The same thing happens to every airport east of the Rockies, stretching from DEN to BOS.. Mother Nature will do her thing, and mankind has no other choice than to "just deal with it". I hate putting it like that (because I sound my parents!), but there's no other way to say it. We're lucky on the west coast - we've had lots of rain and wind this winter; however, living in North Park, I can hear when reverse operations begin, using runway 9, and there hasn't been much of a slowdown in ops here.

But the difference is the lightning. The Pacific storms we get here rarely, if ever, have thunder and lightning (although it isn't unheard of), but the rest of North America is subject to this nastiness, most usually in spring. I learned more about weather from reading the story of Southern Airways flight 242 than anywhere else...

My own personal opinion of DFW is that is not the well-oiled machine it used to be, but that is a completely different topic.

DFW17L

Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:23 pm

Strong westerly winds and 17C still closed adds to the challenges. Ops seem to be getting back to normal.

FriscoHeavy

Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:46 pm

Bigly storms rolled in around 5:30 this morning at our home in Frisco, dropping some hail with it.

Since then, there has been a very stiff westerly wind that I know had to affect ops to some degree. It appears to be simmering down now.
Whatever

mcoatc

Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:39 pm

Tell us more about the "capricious" controller issues. We're all interested about which of our former co-workers was fired, and how their attitude issues negatively impacted the flow rate.

AMALH747430

Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:01 pm

I have to agree. I have about two decades experience of connecting through DFW, IAH, and DEN. DFW is hands-down worse than the other two. I don't know if it's the runway configuration, the way AA runs their operation, or a combination, but I never have near the trouble at IAH or DEN that I have at DFW. Again, I don't know if it's the airlines or airport operations, but IAH and DEN seem to do a much better job at anticipating and dealing with inclement weather than DFW does. I understand the wintertime stuff a bit, DFW doesn't have near the equipment that DEN does and it has a few more icing events than IAH. However, the end result is markedly different at DFW versus the other two.

Then there's the fact that even on good weather days, AA seems to be constantly "surprised" by early arrivals. I've never had to wait the length of time for gates to open up at DEN or IAH that I have at DFW. That's a discussion for another day though.

AWACSooner wrote:
In my experiences, the WORST weather delays for thunderstorms for the entire CONUS have been at DFW...hyperbole, I know, but it seems that they start the delays as soon as there's a lightning strike within 500 miles. I've lost count the number of delays and cancelations I've had from there in the past decade alone...more than ATL/DEN/NYC/CHI combined.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos