32andBelow

Re: Should airline regulators consider grounding B737 MAX series

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:01 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
OB1504 wrote:
Given that the US is still claiming that the 737 MAX is perfectly safe when the rest of the world disagrees...

I don't think this statement is fair at all, and only perpetuates the bickering and fighting in here. No one is claiming the MAX isn't safe, they're just taking a "better safe than sorry" approach until more information is known due to similarity of both crashes. Whether this is an overreaction or not is a matter of opinion.

If these people found out what was deferred or written up every day on every aircraft type then commercial aviation will be over.

Magog

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:01 pm

Interesting. Air Canada 7071 just left PBI for YYZ.

Kinetic

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:02 pm

It's up to Boeing now to explain and, if needed, fix convincingly the cause of the incidents.
It has been an uncommon situation which we haven't seen for a long time, but the foreseen procedure has been executed, really.
International safety protocols in aviation do work, gladly.

Planetalk

1ffb2002 wrote:
Social media hysteria rules the day. American Airlines reported in 14,000 flights, there have be NO REPORTS of any flight management irregularities with the MAX 8. I repeat, no irregularities. I would fly on a MAX 8 in the hands of a WN or AA pilot today. We still have zero data on what happened on ET. We have no idea what happened. The flight recorders are on there way to Europe for analysis. This is taking way too long. When the plan is fully exonerated, which IMHO it will be, there will be a lot of egg on many hysterical faces.

Do you not see the contradiction between 'We have no idea what happened' and 'When the plan is fully exonerated, which IMHO it will be'. You have no idea, so you cannot possibly judge that the plane will be fully exonerated. All such a judgement shows is that your mind is closed and your opinion is completely non-objective. It's no better than those who think it definitely is MCAS. We don't know.

Fortunately accident investigators do not take such a mindset, it would be scandalous if they did.

We only know two of the same type of a new model of plane have crashed, in similar circumstances, within a few months, which is basically unprecedented in modern aviation. It doesn't seem unreasonable to ground it until the recorders are read does it, which after all shouldn't be long? If they show no link, as you reckon, the grounding can be lifted. The worst case scenario, a few days lost revenue. If the accidents are linked, the worst case scenario, another 180 people dead. Not sure why you're so desperate to keep it flying in these circumstances.

Also those saying there will be egg on faces if the cause isn't MCAS, grow up. Safety isn't about pride or ego or about proving anyone wrong. Those are the enemies of safety. It will be better if the cause is not linked and is not a fundamental flaw in the airframe. There is nothing wrong with being cautious until we can be sure of that though. Macho BS is what has gotten a lot of people killed in the past, and I personally hope some of you have never been and are never near a cockpit.

trpmb6

Question. Can airlines get an exemption to ferry a max on a non-revenue generating flight to maybe get it to a maintenance facility?

SurlyBonds

dampfnudel wrote:
Breaking news!!! President Trump has ordered the grounding of the 737 MAX 8 and 737 MAX 9.

While it is regrettable that the US did not take the lead on this issue, better late than never.
Last edited by SurlyBonds on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bradin

Trump just announced he will be grounding 737 Max 8 and Max 9s.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/13/busi ... 7-max.html
Last edited by Bradin on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adam47150

I just got a SKYNews alert that Boeing is now recommending the global MAX fleet be grounded.

Adipocere

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:03 pm

Does the President have the authority to ground airplanes? Will Boeing or the airlines challenge him in court?

dozerman

https://twitter.com/BoeingAirplanes/sta ... 2720406528

Looks like Boeing is the one who advised FAA to ground it, globally. Not Trump.

SteveXC500

WN1374 just arrived PHX-MSP and the flight out to DEN is canceled.

B747forever

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:04 pm

Bradin wrote:
FAA just announced it will be grounding 737 Max 8 and Max 9s.

More like they are forced to do it after Trump’s statement.
Work Hard, Fly Right

STLflyer

Magog wrote:

Appears to be a positioning flight to get it back home. Those are probably allowed under these orders.

dozerman

Magog wrote:

Judging by the flight number that might be a ferry flight (no passengers). Those are allowed.

Virtual737

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:05 pm

flybynight wrote:
What a dilemma this is.
which in turn has necessitated the need for monitors and software to make sure the plane doesn't take off at too steep an angle (due to the new engine design).
If this is the bases of the concern with the MAX, then that is indeed a red flag.

Close but not accurate. The larger, further forward mounted engine nacelles themselves generate lift at high angles of attack. A high angle of attack can happen at any altitude and almost any attitude of the aircraft, even if the nose was pointed at the ground. MCAS only kicks in if flaps are not extended, which actually rules out the issue happening on take off (unless you tried to take off ignoring the incorrect take off configuration warning, which is unmissable unless you were both deaf and blind).

The issue with the nacelles generating lift is that, if you are close to a stall, the nacelles will continue (and in a non-linear fashion) to create more lift, pitching the nose up even further, and so produce the stall even faster. Hence why MCAS uses angle of attack sensors to automatically pitch the nose down, using the horizontal stabilser trim. MCAS currently only uses one AoA sensor as its input. If that sensor is producing false readings, the plane can pitch the nose down at ANY altitude (so long as flaps are not extended). I believe it even ignores any EGPWS warnings, so even if one system of the aircraft is warning you to pull up, another is automatically pitching you down.

Great design, eh?

In better news, Boeing's stock is on the way south again, so if you're confident that Boeing will turn all of this into a positive then buy stock all the way down.
Last edited by Virtual737 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RogerMurdock

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:05 pm

Cost-saving printing decisions like this are sure to cause consternation for some time into the future:

Last edited by RogerMurdock on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

gatibosgru

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:06 pm

How embarrassing. What will the FAA/Boeing do now? Just a completely messy situation.
@DadCelo

Paolo18

If Boeing issued the order, then the shares will drop even more.

Finn350

dozerman wrote:
https://twitter.com/BoeingAirplanes/status/1105905132720406528

Looks like Boeing is the one who advised FAA to ground it, globally. Not Trump.

That is just optics. In reality it was rest of the world.

B747forever

adam47150 wrote:
I just got a SKYNews alert that Boeing is now recommending the global MAX fleet be grounded.

It was already grounded except in the US. Boeing didn’t make the decision as a responsible company, it was taken by operators and aviation agencies around the world.
Work Hard, Fly Right

vfw614

SuperGT wrote:
Boeing has now recommended they are all grounded also. Source Sky news.

Bit late to the show, me thinks. Particularly after that "we made a safe plane even safer" PR stunt.

That is simply damage control, and not a very good one. Would have probably been better to just keep their mouth shut in order not to make a fool of themselves.

joeblow10

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:07 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:

Well... everything into DEN is cancelled...not that it wouldn’t still be

Menelaos

Floridaguy74656 wrote:
Tell that to the Boeing Employees whose livelihood is on the line and the stockholders whose retirement is getting wiped out. I'm sure they think grounding a plane based on nothing more than conjecture is a great thing too right ?

Wait, so the main concern here is the share price!?

a. Any one of us holding shares of any company takes willfully a risk that the share price might go down. Basing the decision of grounding vs not grounding on whether stock prices will be affected is ludicrous. BTW, if there's no grounding and if a third aircraft goes down shares will get annihilated.

b. I don't know what is so strange in the notion of PROACTIVELY grounding a fleet when you have statistical evidence that there MIGHT be a problem. Yes, it's inconvenient for all of us (I'm actually writing from an airport lounge waiting to take my fifth flight in two days - and guess what, the first was on FlyDubai's Max), but obviously two potentially similar crashes in 5 months is not something we see every day in this industry.

c. No one's livelihood is on the line because of grounding, where is this coming from?!? Either the plane will prove to be fine, or there will be a problem and it will be fixed. If data shows the aircraft is so badly designed that it can't be salvaged (which obviously is not the case) then the jobs lost will not be because of the grounding but because of the aircraft design.

flyingclrs727

What I want to know is what information did the FAA have that made them tell WN that they could not fly 300's, NG's, and Maxes with one pilot pool? The 300's and NG'could share pilots, and the NG's and Maxes could share pilots, but 300's and Maxes could not share pilots.

SuperGT

Boeing has said MAX aircraft. So are we to assume Max 8,9 and 10?

remingtonbox

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:08 pm

There are still a ton of them in the air. How is a grounding enforced? Is there a timeframe to comply with a grounding?

https://flightaware.com/live/aircrafttype/B38M

Endeavor

I'm not surprised that MAX 8 eventually got grounded but I am surprised that it comes by order of POTUS.

marcogr12

I have two naive questions since i'm just a spotter not an engineer
a) How come Airbus with its Neo bigger engines isn't facing the same kind of problems with the MAX?(aside from the problems the engines have had)..What are the structural differences in this case that don't cause stability/stall/MCAS issues?
b) Would it be an out-of-this-world proposal for Boeing to restart the NG 738/739 line until they figure out what's wrong with MAXs and to keep its customers from turning to Airbus? It hasnt been that long since they stopped production of the 738...Even if it's for a short period of time until they know what's wrong and they can go ahead again with production and deliveries? I'm only saying this because we don't know how long the worldwide grounding will go on and i don't if there are enough 737NG aircraft available to lease to MAX customers, to cover for their schedule gaps..Of course someone might argue that airlines do not necessarily have to resort to 737 ACMI leasing only..There are enough airbus lessors out there..But wouldn't that make it more complex from a cost and operational p.o.v., to have a temporary mixed fleet? Forgive my ignorance on the subject
Last edited by marcogr12 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..

FCAFLYBOY

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:09 pm

Looks like AA1030 POS-MIA is the last inbound, unless some of the AC/WS flights are still on turnaround and will head home.

xaapb

SteveXC500 wrote:

I guess this was going to be canceled with or without grounding of the MAX due to the bad weather in Denver.

Greetings.
Jorge Meneses

GEUltraFan9XGTF

SuperGT wrote:
Boeing has now recommended they are all grounded also. Source Sky news.

https://twitter.com/BoeingAirplanes/sta ... 2720406528
© 2019. All statements are my own. The use of my statements, including by journalists, YouTube vloggers like "DJ's Aviation", etc. without my written consent is strictly prohibited.

32andBelow

marcogr12 wrote:
a) How come Airbus with its Neo bigger engines isn't facing the same kind of problems with the MAX?(aside from the problems the engines have had)..What are the structural differences in this case that doesn't cause stability/stall/MCAS issues?
b) Would it be an out-of-this-world proposal for Boeing to restart the NG 738/739 line until they figure out what's wrong with MAXs and to keep its customers from turning to Airbus? It hasnt been that long since they stopped production of the 738...Even if it's for a short period of time until they know what's wrong and they can go ahead again with production and deliveries? I'm only saying this because we don't know how long the worldwide grounding will go on and i don't if there are enough 737NG aircraft available to lease to MAX customers, to cover for their schedule gaps..Of course someone might argue that airlines do not necessarily have to resort to 737 ACMI leasing only..There are enough airbus lessors out there..But wouldn't that make it more complex from a cost and operational p.o.v., to have a temporary mixed fleet? Forgive my ignorance on the subject

I don’t think the NG line has ended production. Hasn’t it?

SurlyBonds

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:10 pm

adam47150 wrote:

Making a safe plane even safer, indeed. But to quote Winston Churchill, they finally did the right thing after exhausting all other possibilities.

#GroundTheMax

PerVG

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:10 pm

Floridaguy74656 wrote:
DominikR83 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
It’s going to be embarrassing for the whole world when the accident cause is unrelated.

It will not be embarrassing for anyone.
There is circumstantial evidence that both crashes may have something in common and it may have something to do with the aircraft type.Even if the chance is only 1/1000 that the aircraft type had an influence
on these two crashes this - for me - justifies the grounding. If the result will be that the aircraft type has not played a significant role then you can always say "better safe than sorry".

Tell that to the Boeing Employees whose livelihood is on the line and the stockholders whose retirement is getting wiped out. I'm sure they think grounding a plane based on nothing more than conjecture is a great thing too right ?

Ah, the stockholders. Because nothing is more important than a number on some board at Wall Street...
Do you really believe Boeing's survival is at risk because of this groundig? Be serious...
Last edited by PerVG on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B747forever

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:11 pm

SuperGT wrote:
Boeing has said MAX aircraft. So are we to assume Max 8,9 and 10?

Yes, all MAX aircraft are grounded.
Work Hard, Fly Right

CrimsonNL

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:12 pm

So does this mean the grounding isn't a Sino-European conspiracy funded by Airbus to destroy Boeing after all?
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

Wallhart

Ite embarrassing people are still clinging on to the "lets keep them flying" until we find the facts out mantra.

Aviation has been built on a no risk, ultra cautious approach and there are clear reasons to take this approach with the Max.

This is 2019, no one expects brand new planes to crash, let alone 2 of then within 5 months.

If we apply dumb maths and make a ridiculous assumption that the rate of crashes is the rate at which things go wrong with the Max. Well what happens when you triple the number of planes in the sky.

People are dead and its right to be cautious. Putting profits before life's is ridiculous and even then its pure corporate mismanagement. If they kept flying and another one went down it would do more damage to Boeing than a temporary grounding.

The cavalier attitude has no place in aviation

Virtual737

If MCAS is pushing Boeing's stock price down, can they not just flip the stab trim cutoff switches and manually pitch it up again?

SurlyBonds

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:13 pm

Menelaos wrote:
a. Any one of us holding shares of any company takes willfully a risk that the share price might go down. Basing the decision of grounding vs not grounding on whether stock prices will be affected is ludicrous. BTW, if there's no grounding and if a third aircraft goes down shares will get annihilated..

Also, if this turns out to be a big nothingburger, or even readily fixable, the share price will recover.

FCAFLYBOY

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:14 pm

FCAFLYBOY wrote:
Looks like AA1030 POS-MIA is the last inbound, unless some of the AC/WS flights are still on turnaround and will head home.

Maybe make that WN1335 MDW-PHX but it’s on the ground so may not ever get airborne.

jeepyjeep

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:14 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:

There is also a blizzard happening in Denver right now including gusts up to 70MPH. I live here.

Kinetic

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:15 pm

Is there new data available to authorities from ET302? Latest news has been, flight recorders being sent to Germany since damage wouldn't allow reading by instruments in Ethiopia.

CO953

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:15 pm

SimonL wrote:
Would be a bit strange if it's the President and not the FAA that grounds them. Doesnt look very professional..

What doesn't look very professional is that they're still arguing over where to send the black boxes, as 737MAX still flies in the USA, instead of getting the data immediately.
I'm glad the president broke the logjam.
Last edited by CO953 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyingclrs727

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:16 pm

Trump grounds all 737 Maxes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/13/busi ... 7-max.html

Here's a locked thread with more info:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1417815
Last edited by flyingclrs727 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Finn350

marcogr12 wrote:
a) How come Airbus with its Neo bigger engines isn't facing the same kind of problems with the MAX?(aside from the problems the engines have had)..What are the structural differences in this case that don't cause stability/stall/MCAS issues?

a) Airbus A320 has three AoA vanes, so it doesn't matter if one of them fails as two others still agree. 737 has only two AoA vanes, and if one breaks, you don't know which one provides correct measurement, creating a single point of failure. There are other factors, too, but to keep it simple.

b) No, as we are talking 1-2 month grounding until the fix is developed so there would be no point of restructuring assembly lines, as some components have a lead time of more than one year

Dieuwer

marcogr12 wrote:

As I understand it, the Airbus is a large(r) plane where the engines fit naturally.
The MAX is an old (60's/70's) design where Boeing decided to just slap new, larger, and more powerful engines under the wings. However, since it doesn't fit quite right and doesn't operate quite right, the engines had to be moved forward (ground clearing issue) AND a sofware update installed to make sure the plane doesn't stall all the time.

Bradin

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:18 pm

Wallhart wrote:
Ite embarrassing people are still clinging on to the "lets keep them flying" until we find the facts out mantra.

Aviation has been built on a no risk, ultra cautious approach and there are clear reasons to take this approach with the Max.

There is no such thing as "no risk" anywhere in business or aviation. It is impossible to eliminate all risk.

scbriml

Magog wrote:

Given Canada already grounded the MAX, it's certainly a data error by FR24.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Dieuwer

Question: Is this the first time in history that two subsequent aircraft crashes of the same type cause the ENTIRE planet to be shutdown for that aircraft type?

flybynight

marcogr12 wrote:

Park a 737 and a 320 next to each other. Fundamentally different designs. the 737 is lower meaning there is less clearance under the wings for bigger engines (which is why the 737's from the 300 series onwards) have had flat bottoms on the engine nacelles. With the MAX's new engines Boeing moved the engines forward (this is putting it in very simple terms) to fit appropriately.
The 737 looks like a long-slung Corvette compared to the A320!

So it kind of gets back to a certain degree that the 737's basic chassis has likely met a design max.

Let's the 797 going Boeing!!!
Heia Norge!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos