juliuswong

Re: B737MAX Grounded Worldwide

Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:03 am

Smartwings inducted an Swift Air B737-86J to cover for MAX grounding.

Boeing 737-86J 32917 1210 N917XA Swift Air posn 20mar19 GSO-KEF-PRG on wet-lease to smartwings ex VP-BEN
https://www.skyliner-aviation.de/regdb. ... av4&page=3
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

freakyrat

Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:22 am

jplatts wrote:
Why hasn't WN had any crashes involving the 737 MAX 8 during the 17 months that it operated the MAX 8 planes?

WN 1380 was the only incident at WN during the October 2017 through March 2019 time period that resulted in a fatality, but the WN 1380 incident occurred on a 737-700 plane that was almost 18 years old.

Any safety issues involving both WN's 737 MAX planes and the oldest 737-700's in WN's fleet must be addressed.

WN has the most experience with the MAX conducting 81,000 flying hours of safe operation with the MAX. WN also has AOA sensor redundancy for the MCAS system and also the AOA disagree warning light. They also had the AOA sensor instrumentation added to the PFD.

mwmav8r01

Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:53 am

dakota123 wrote:
WIederling wrote:
dakota123 wrote:
Larger fan blades, gearboxes, hotter cores, 60:1 pressure ratios, LP cores spinning at twice the rpm of previous designs — THOSE are some of the things that we think we understand but maybe don’t fully just yet.

More or less a distraction what you write.
This is about integrating a completely safe engine on an up to now rather save airframe resulting
in a product that has an unpleasant tendency to crash.
superficially about 20..40 times more often than for the predecessors.
Acceptable:
MCAS related crashes would have to have a very small impact on the regular crashrate.

This whole discussion is a distraction. MAX with properly designed MCAS will be as safe as NG. At least, any discussion otherwise is just speculation put out as unassailable fact by a few. And frankly, how do we know the engines are completely safe? Took quite a while for the CF6-80 dovetail slot issue to show.

Logic has no place on airliners.net. I agree. Training (lack thereof), bad software and bad circumstances are what we saw. This is fixable. Fairly easily.

AvFanNJ

Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:37 am

hilram wrote:
STILL
    EASA will do their own independent certification not of MCAS but of THE WHOLE AIRLINER. :airplane:

The MAX will not fly in Europe (or Asia??) until EASA has certified MAX from bottom up.

The article you linked to says nothing of this sort. We have entirely too much extrapolation in these threads not fully grounded in facts. They have become more like Op-Eds with a lot of folks blowing smoke out of their butts. EASA knows much of this airplane already; it will scrutinize what is new about it vs. the NG but that will not extend to the basic design which differs little from the NG that preceded it. It will properly look at the changes to the engines and aerodynamic tweaks and most importantly, to the new FBW spoilers and most prominently, the suspect MCAS enhancement and its accompanying AOA sensor connections. I'm not minimizing the boatload of dung Boeing is in at this point but we really need to stick to posted truths and not embellish posts with our own interpretations.

hilram

Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:08 am

AvFanNJ wrote:
hilram wrote:
STILL
    EASA will do their own independent certification not of MCAS but of THE WHOLE AIRLINER. :airplane:

The MAX will not fly in Europe (or Asia??) until EASA has certified MAX from bottom up.

The article you linked to says nothing of this sort. We have entirely too much extrapolation in these threads not fully grounded in facts. They have become more like Op-Eds with a lot of folks blowing smoke out of their butts. EASA knows much of this airplane already; it will scrutinize what is new about it vs. the NG but that will not extend to the basic design which differs little from the NG that preceded it. It will properly look at the changes to the engines and aerodynamic tweaks and most importantly, to the new FBW spoilers and most prominently, the suspect MCAS enhancement and its accompanying AOA sensor connections. I'm not minimizing the boatload of dung Boeing is in at this point but we really need to stick to posted truths and not embellish posts with our own interpretations.

True, so why do you extrapolate from what I wrote that I claim the EASA knows nothing about the MAX already, and would start to consider whether the NG is safe or not... They will look into every change for MAX and conduct their own assessment since they no longer trust the certification process between Boeing and the FAA. And this was prior to the FBI joining in on the investigation of possible collusion... How many months that independent assessment will take I do not know. I only know Boeing leadership dreams of software quick fixes and rapid restoration of service isn’t going to fly.
Flown on: A319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343 | B732, 734, 735, 736, 73G, 738, 743, 744, 772, 77W | BAe-146 | DHC-6, 7, 8 | F50 | E195 | MD DC-9 41, MD-82, MD-87

hongkongflyer

Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:12 am

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/3/22/18277694/boeing-737-max-ethiopian-airlines-lion-air-safety?fbclid=IwAR3_uIM_teE6trzcGJBL0CbWP7di2CO5TOQ8ELniJpugCLyjJawh1xtwUt0

Hard to believe that the important features of AOA are treated as an optional upgrade.
What a shame to put the profits ahead of safety.

seahawk

Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:52 am

ArgentoSystems wrote:
In my opinion the only proper fix to the plane is going back to drawing board. Any fixes involving disabling MCAS are complete BS. I would not allow it in any less critical application, let alone airplane. If we can disable MCAS and continue flying normally, when why do we need it to begin with? .

You can safely fly the MAX without MCAS, what you can not do is have exactly the same pilot training for the NG and the MAX. If you disable the MCAS pilots would need extra training for the MAX which would make crew management a little bit more difficult.

WIederling

Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:54 am

osiris30 wrote:
[edit] airspeed isn't needed.. the AoA vanes don't need airspeed.

Min speed to judge AoA input as valid.
Murphy is an optimist

WIederling

Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:00 am

AvFanNJ wrote:
The article you linked to says nothing of this sort. We have entirely too much extrapolation in these threads not fully grounded in facts. They have become more like Op-Eds with a lot of folks blowing smoke out of their butts.

rubs off after longer contact.
What you note has been the bane of US "news" reporting for a couple of decades.
facts and opinion have been mixed for a long time but now it is "facts" ? what "facts" ?
( noteworthy exception in this domain here: Dominic Gates )
Murphy is an optimist

scbriml

Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:07 am

freakyrat wrote:
WN also has AOA sensor redundancy for the MCAS system

I don't believe there is such a thing. :shakehead:

The pre-grounding MCAS implementation only reads data from one AOA sensor.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Interested

Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:07 am

seahawk wrote:
ArgentoSystems wrote:
In my opinion the only proper fix to the plane is going back to drawing board. Any fixes involving disabling MCAS are complete BS. I would not allow it in any less critical application, let alone airplane. If we can disable MCAS and continue flying normally, when why do we need it to begin with? .

You can safely fly the MAX without MCAS, what you can not do is have exactly the same pilot training for the NG and the MAX. If you disable the MCAS pilots would need extra training for the MAX which would make crew management a little bit more difficult.

I feel you are playing with words here

You do accept that the Max plane without MCAS is more likely to stall than a NG plane? That's why MCAS was introduced in the first place.

So although you state it can still be flown safely it's harder and more risky to fly the Max than flying the NG?

And why would we introduce more risk for a new aircraft?

We want to introduce less risk don't we?

Your answer brings the chance of more human error into flying these planes not less. So more crashes over time would be inevitable. We can't remove human error from planes. We can only reduce where it can happen

Boof02671

Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:20 am

ArgentoSystems wrote:
In my opinion the only proper fix to the plane is going back to drawing board. Any fixes involving disabling MCAS are complete BS. I would not allow it in any less critical application, let alone airplane. If we can disable MCAS and continue flying normally, when why do we need it to begin with?

It especially worrisome that it can lose it during take off, when airplane is deliberately at higher than normal AoA, and the protection is vital. At the same time the invalid input during take off is extremely dangerous.

Now, regarding the redundancy. 3x redundancy with 2 out of 3 voting is nice when you have extremely reliable input to begin with, say on the order 1 incident in a million of flights. In this case 2 out of 3 makes the MTBF so high that realistically we should never see 2 sensors fail.

But we are dealing with 2 fatal incidents in 18 month x 350 planes. And god knows how many similar incidents that did not end in tragedy. That's a crappy track records. 2 out of 3 can't make this acceptably reliable.

And where did you get you’re aviation engineering degree?

Jouhou

Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:23 am

Boof02671 wrote:
ArgentoSystems wrote:
In my opinion the only proper fix to the plane is going back to drawing board. Any fixes involving disabling MCAS are complete BS. I would not allow it in any less critical application, let alone airplane. If we can disable MCAS and continue flying normally, when why do we need it to begin with?

It especially worrisome that it can lose it during take off, when airplane is deliberately at higher than normal AoA, and the protection is vital. At the same time the invalid input during take off is extremely dangerous.

Now, regarding the redundancy. 3x redundancy with 2 out of 3 voting is nice when you have extremely reliable input to begin with, say on the order 1 incident in a million of flights. In this case 2 out of 3 makes the MTBF so high that realistically we should never see 2 sensors fail.

But we are dealing with 2 fatal incidents in 18 month x 350 planes. And god knows how many similar incidents that did not end in tragedy. That's a crappy track records. 2 out of 3 can't make this acceptably reliable.

Demanding redundancy is exactly something a *good* engineer would do.

Boof02671

Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:30 am

Jouhou wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
ArgentoSystems wrote:

Demanding redundancy is exactly something a *good* engineer would do.

That’s not what I asked. If you aren’t an Aviation Engineer nor part of the design, evaluation, safety nor an investigator who is privy to all the information then it’s just armchair speculation.
Last edited by Boof02671 on Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

seahawk

Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:30 am

Interested wrote:
seahawk wrote:
ArgentoSystems wrote:

You do accept that the Max plane without MCAS is more likely to stall than a NG plane? That's why MCAS was introduced in the first place.

Maybe you want to watch that video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlinocVHpzk

The MAX is not more likely to stall, it handles differently in a stall though, as it has less elevator authority in a high thrust stall and needs stabilizer support when the NG does not.

Interested

Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:31 am

ArgentoSystems wrote:

The stats are actually far worse than you describe

There were only 350 planes flying at the end of 18 months

At the start there would be far far less.

The more planes introduced the more potential for systems error and human error combined

Boof02671

Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:33 am

Interested wrote:
ArgentoSystems wrote:

The more planes introduced the more potential for systems error and human error combined

And yet two of the largest airline WN with 34 and AA with 24 and over 100,000 hours had zero incidents.

Interested

Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:38 am

seahawk wrote:
Interested wrote:
seahawk wrote:

The MAX is not more likely to stall, it handles differently in a stall though, as it has less elevator authority in a high thrust stall and needs stabilizer support when the NG does not.

Can we just simplify this by both accepting that the Max is harder and more difficult for pilots to control in a potential stall situation without MCAS?

More training and more risk involved.

however small the extra risk it means these planes are less safe to fly.

Interested

Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:40 am

Boof02671 wrote:
Interested wrote:
ArgentoSystems wrote:

And yet two of the largest airline WN with 34 and AA with 24 and over 100,000 hours had zero incidents.

100,000 hrs without incident is worth nothing in aviation or safety terms

How many actual flights is that?

30,000?

It's barely one day of flights with 5,000 of these planes in operation as is planned?

You are quoting stats that make you seem naive? I'm sure you aren't naive?

scbriml

Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:44 am

Boof02671 wrote:

It would be correct to say they've had zero crashes. Zero "incidents" we can be less sure about. It's entirely possible that AA and WN had been lucky and not had any sensor failures (which both Lion and Ethiopian seem to have had).

Accidents rarely happen linearly, so there's that as well.
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Interested

Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:51 am

The NG has over 100,000 hours of flights every day by my estimates

There you have stats worth discussing

In comparison the Max was upto about 5,000 worldwide hrs a day before grounding I estimate with 2 disasters in 5 months

Those two US airlines less than 800 hrs per day I estimate in max planes?

How many NGs crashed with all crew and passengers perished in last 5 months?
Last edited by Interested on Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:04 am, edited 4 times in total.

Amiga500

Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:57 am

dakota123 wrote:
Amiga500 wrote:
dakota123 wrote:
Bullsh*t. No more a kludge than Mach trim or rudder limiters.

I suggest you go try and understand the FARs (in this case, specifically 25.103 and 25.203 - and might as well look at 25.672 while you are at it) to see why one is a kludge and the others are accepted means of improving control and/or safety.

Many, many times, thank you very much. How do you think they got to be accepted in the first place? In many cases, only after an issue presented itself for the first time.

You've done what many many times? Certainly not read the FARs - if you had - we wouldn't be having this discussion.

What do you mean by "they got to be accepted in the first place"? The basis for how the FARs were constructed? If that is what you mean - yes, indeed it was only after an incident the regulations were modified as per the lessons learned from that incident.

Problem for the MAX is - MCAS is operating contrary to regulations which were constructed - as you yourself say - from lessons learned from past incidents.

seahawk

Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:05 am

Interested wrote:
seahawk wrote:
Interested wrote:

Can we just simplify this by both accepting that the Max is harder and more difficult for pilots to control in a potential stall situation without MCAS?

Imho it is not. The MAX shows no nasty stall characteristic, the elevator control authority is just different to the NG, which also can need stabilizer support to get the nose down in a high thrust stall - infact this is standard OP for the NG stall training. Elevator down, trim nose down, keep engine thrust low, wait till nose comes down and AoA reduces, then slowly increase thrust. Once AoA and speed are no longer amber trim back and return to level flight.

Interested

Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:24 am

seahawk wrote:
Interested wrote:
seahawk wrote:

Imho it is not. The MAX shows no nasty stall characteristic, the elevator control authority is just different to the NG, which also can need stabilizer support to get the nose down in a high thrust stall - infact this is standard OP for the NG stall training. Elevator down, trim nose down, keep engine thrust low, wait till nose comes down and AoA reduces, then slowly increase thrust. Once AoA and speed are no longer amber trim back and return to level flight.

So if I hypothetically accept what you say is correct and that we both accept the MCAS system itself is an extra risk that can lead to failures and extra risk - then what you are saying suggests one solution here is no longer use MCAS for these planes to get them certified as safe

Boeing accept they have to now train people for the above but at least we remove the risk of MCAS system failures full stop

It becomes an option once Boeing accepts new pilot training is needed?

If so to me thats the best option for safety PROVIDING what you say is correct above and this isn't a less safe way of flying

Don't introduce new systems that can fail if they aren't needed for safety.

Amiga500

Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:38 am

seahawk wrote:
Imho it is not. The MAX shows no nasty stall characteristic, the elevator control authority is just different to the NG, which also can need stabilizer support to get the nose down in a high thrust stall - infact this is standard OP for the NG stall training.

You contradict yourself within a single sentence.

Even I have to put in a good bit of effort to do that!! :D

art

Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:59 am

My understanding is limited but I have to ask this: why use the trim system to avoid entering / getting too close to a stall? Why not just use the standard warnings (which I imagine include activating a stick shaker)?

Subsidiary question here, please: with FBW aircraft using a small side-mounted control, what is their equivalent of a stick shaker warning as a stall is approached?

Boof02671

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:01 am

scbriml wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

It would be correct to say they've had zero crashes. Zero "incidents" we can be less sure about. It's entirely possible that AA and WN had been lucky and not had any sensor failures (which both Lion and Ethiopian seem to have had).

Accidents rarely happen linearly, so there's that as well.

AA has the extra warning system installed, WN didn’t but they are getting it installed on the planes already in service and added it to their new builds.

Boof02671

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:02 am

Interested wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
Interested wrote:

30,000?

It's barely one day of flights with 5,000 of these planes in operation as is planned?

You are missing the point, two of the largest operators had no problems as well as UA.

VSMUT

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:03 am

art wrote:
My understanding is limited but I have to ask this: why use the trim system to avoid entering / getting too close to a stall? Why not just use the standard warnings (which I imagine include activating a stick shaker)?

Just a guess, but if the MAX already gets into these AoA ssues at angles of attack at angles normally experienced during a take-off, then the stick shaker would run during a standard departure.

And again, it would mean different training between the NG and the MAX.

seahawk

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:10 am

Amiga500 wrote:
seahawk wrote:
Imho it is not. The MAX shows no nasty stall characteristic, the elevator control authority is just different to the NG, which also can need stabilizer support to get the nose down in a high thrust stall - infact this is standard OP for the NG stall training.

Not a contradiction, as I understand the flyboys you would try to minimize the altitude lost by getting the nose down as quickly as possible, so on the NG you use the stab trim even though the elevator would be enough to bring the nose down. But I have not heard a pilot call this a nasty stall behaviour.

StTim

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:12 am

Just because AA and WN had zero incidents doesn't mean that they are miraculously better than those that did. It may mean they were just lucky!

Boof02671

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:12 am

StTim wrote:
Just because AA and WN had zero incidents doesn't mean that they are miraculously better than those that did. It may mean they were just lucky!

You can’t make that claim. Total speculation with no data to back it up.

Condorman

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:21 am

Could the MCAS system be removed and pilots simply trained up to deal with the handling characteristics of the plane?

Without MCAS would the 737 still be able to be certified by Aviation Authorities?

Is MCAS the proverbial lipstick on a pig?

Amiga500

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:25 am

seahawk wrote:
Amiga500 wrote:
seahawk wrote:

Not a contradiction, as I understand the flyboys you would try to minimize the altitude lost by getting the nose down as quickly as possible, so on the NG you use the stab trim even though the elevator would be enough to bring the nose down. But I have not heard a pilot call this a nasty stall behaviour.

Having to rely on your trim functionality to get out of a stall situation is nasty stall behaviour!

Take too long to realise you need more than elevators to drop the nose and you could end up in a scenario where your forward airspeed is that low (and elevators stalled out so) you've no control authority.

Amiga500

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:27 am

Condorman wrote:
Without MCAS would the 737 still be able to be certified by Aviation Authorities?
Is MCAS the proverbial lipstick on a pig?

I'm wondering can it be certified with or without it (given the high level MCAS concept).

art

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:28 am

VSMUT wrote:
art wrote:

Just a guess, but if the MAX already gets into these AoA ssues at angles of attack at angles normally experienced during a take-off, then the stick shaker would run during a standard departure.

Thanks for the response. It seems a lot of things were geared to avoiding any 'hands on' NG to MAX conversion training.

Any reason why a MAX should not use a shallower climb out of an airport (to lower AoA) than an NG? I don't see that there would be much retraining involved in that.

yabeweb

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:29 am

Boeing is releasing a fix, but a fix to what? I mean if the investigation still have not pointed to the real issue, either Boeing knew all along the system was faulty and was working on the background to solve the issue hoping nothing would happend in between updates, of this is a Fix for something that MIGHT not be the issue.

I am all for Boeing fixing stuff, but how are we to know that the fix they are making is the one that caused the issue if investigation are still ongoing?

It does not make sense to me, Boeing:"here we have a fix", Investigators "A fix to what? we still haven't found the cause...."

VSMUT

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:34 am

art wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
art wrote:

Thanks for the response. It seems a lot of things were geared to avoiding any 'hands on' NG to MAX conversion training.

Any reason why a MAX should not use a shallower climb out of an airport (to lower AoA) than an NG? I don't see that there would be much retraining involved in that.

Because airports often require minimum climb rates, due to either noise abatement or terrain, and shallow climb rates would severely limit it.
And again, that would require more training...
Last edited by VSMUT on Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

scbriml

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:34 am

StTim wrote:

:checkmark:

Boof02671 wrote:

Accidents don't happen in a linear fashion and the comparatively low number of in-service frames and total hours doesn't tell the story you seem to think it does.

Has AA or WN suffered AOA and/or IAS failures on take off as Lion and Ethiopian appeared to have? Do you have the data for that?
How often has AA or WN had to use the trim cutoff switches on the MAX? Do you have data for that?

mjoelnir

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:38 am

Boof02671 wrote:
StTim wrote:

Of course he can make that claim. And there is data to back it up. To few flights at AA and WN to make significant that they had no accidents. How often did a AA or WN flight had an AoA sensor or downstream electronic failure and did land safely? Let us guess at none?
Less than 20 % of the delivered 737MAX are used by airlines based in the USA, so the likelihood for an accident there has been lower than an accident outside the USA.

seahawk

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:45 am

Amiga500 wrote:
seahawk wrote:
Amiga500 wrote:

Having to rely on your trim functionality to get out of a stall situation is nasty stall behaviour!

Take too long to realise you need more than elevators to drop the nose and you could end up in a scenario where your forward airspeed is that low (and elevators stalled out so) you've no control authority.

If that really is the case on the MAX, it would indeed be a big problem for Boeing. I do not know enough about MCAS or the MAX in general to make any comment on it though.

Interested

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:45 am

Boof02671 wrote:
Interested wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

30,000?

You are missing the point, two of the largest operators had no problems as well as UA.

But they've not flown anywhere enough hours for the sample to be worthwhile or prove anything?

Boof02671

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:47 am

100,000 hours is not a few flights. WN and AA are two of the largest Max 8 operators, and no he has no data to back up his claim.

Say an average flight is three hours that’s 33,000 flights AA and WN have operated.

Interested

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:50 am

seahawk wrote:
Amiga500 wrote:
seahawk wrote:

If that really is the case on the MAX, it would indeed be a big problem for Boeing. I do not know enough about MCAS or the MAX in general to make any comment on it though.

But earlier in the thread you've twice to told me that the Max is pefectly safe to fly without MCAS?

And no less safe than flying NG without MCAS?

VSMUT

Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:13 pm

VSMUT wrote:
art wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Because airports often require minimum climb rates, due to either noise abatement or terrain, and shallow climb rates would severely limit it.
And again, that would require more training...

And come to think of it, it may also present an issue with single engine performance.

marcelh

Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:13 pm

StTim wrote:

And there is a reason why they have chosen all the optional bells and whistles...

seahawk

Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:20 pm

Interested wrote:
seahawk wrote:
Amiga500 wrote:

But earlier in the thread you've twice to told me that the Max is pefectly safe to fly without MCAS?

That is because there is no indication that the FAA or EASA would certify an airliner that can not get out of a stall due to not enough elevator authority.

smittythepirate

Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:21 pm

yabeweb wrote:
Boeing is releasing a fix, but a fix to what? I mean if the investigation still have not pointed to the real issue, either Boeing knew all along the system was faulty and was working on the background to solve the issue hoping nothing would happend in between updates, of this is a Fix for something that MIGHT not be the issue.

I am all for Boeing fixing stuff, but how are we to know that the fix they are making is the one that caused the issue if investigation are still ongoing?

It does not make sense to me, Boeing:"here we have a fix", Investigators "A fix to what? we still haven't found the cause...."

They have had data on the Lion Air crash for a while now and have tested the software fix on simulated flights similar to what the Lion Air plane went through. Also, Boeing is participating in the investigations so it makes sense that they would know more about the situation that what is leaked to the public.
www.jbweather.com

yabeweb

Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:35 pm

smittythepirate wrote:
yabeweb wrote:

They have had data on the Lion Air crash for a while now and have tested the software fix on simulated flights similar to what the Lion Air plane went through. Also, Boeing is participating in the investigations so it makes sense that they would know more about the situation that what is leaked to the public.

Yes I understand, but still, to me it seems either a rushed fix or something they knew all along.

I understand the need to prove they can fix it fast, and the money they are losing, but what looked like a rushed certification notw is looking like a rushed fix and another rushed approval from FAA.

Interested

Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:36 pm

seahawk wrote:
Interested wrote:
seahawk wrote:

That is because there is no indication that the FAA or EASA would certify an airliner that can not get out of a stall due to not enough elevator authority.

If the new design makes a proven safe plane (NG) less safe to fly (Max) then they shouldn't certify it should they?

Its such an important plane we want it to at least be as safe to fly as NG dont we? If not more so?

Apologies in advance if I'm missing the point here somehow?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos