blooc350
Topic Author

New Jewel Terminal at SIN

Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:57 pm

Picture of the newly built Jewel terminal at Singapore’s Changi has begun to surface with the official opening date being April 17th. This is without a doubt, the worlds MOST beautiful terminal.

Last edited by SQ22 on Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated

LaunchDetected

Re: New Jewel Terminal

Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:57 pm

Lush vegetation does miracles with the modern architecture of airports. I wouldn’t mind spending hours in it if the actual product is like the promotional renders.
Caravelle lover

geoshina

Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:52 pm

I think it is beautiful, but really MOIST, lol.

I was at SIN last week and one could see that there was still some work to be done.
I've noticed that the Skytrain goes into it. Will it be all open to public or part of the airside?

blooc350
Topic Author

Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:31 pm

Official pictures from the "soft" opening of the new Jewel Terminal.

Its an airport, a garden, a shopping mall, a hotel and much more. No wonder Changi is the worlds best airport.

ewt340

Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:37 pm

Amazing! This would definitely put them back on number 1 list again. Although Incheon new terminal is pretty amazing.

What I want to know is how high the temperature in the Garden itself? Is it as hot as the outside air. Or is it slightly cooler?

commpilot

Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:44 pm

Another reason to like SIN.

Luke1994

Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:58 pm

It’s unique, no doubt, but it reminds me of Rainforest Cafe more than I’d like,

That fountain is beautiful though, wow.
CMEL student for now...

ojjunior

Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:13 pm

Why there aren't Shake Shacks in other airports around the world? Why? Whyyyyyyy???

BTW, amazing environment, well done SIN!

EMB170

Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:26 pm

ojjunior wrote:
Why there aren't Shake Shacks in other airports around the world? Why? Whyyyyyyy???

I know, right? But JFK has them (at least the DL terminals do, IIRC).

EMB170
IND ORD ATL MCO PIT EWR BUF CVG DEN RNO JFK DTW BOS BDL BWI IAD RDU CLT MYR CHS TPA CID MSP STL MSY DFW IAH AUS SLC LAS

ITSTours

Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:30 pm

ojjunior wrote:

ICN Terminal 2 has it as well.

GlobalAirways

Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:34 pm

If I was stressed out by travel this would certainly help calm my nerves... Are the gates behind the trees?
There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative. ~ W. Clement Stone

Prost

Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:09 pm

LAX Terminal 3 of all places has Shake Shack.

huaiwei

Re: New Jewel Terminal at SIN

Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:19 pm

More information and pictures about the building can be seen from the local press:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... wow-500000

I must say I am quite impressed that the actual building's interiors turns out so similar to the renderings.
It's huaiwei...not huawei. I have nothing to do with the PRC! :)

readytotaxi

Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:29 pm

That should do marvels at reducing stress levels when travelling, way to go.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

RawSushi

Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:32 pm

GlobalAirways wrote:
If I was stressed out by travel this would certainly help calm my nerves... Are the gates behind the trees?

This isn't exactly a "Terminal" in the sense that there are no gates, but according to the media reports it's possible to check-in here early, enjoy the place air-side, and then proceed to one of the terminals to board the plane.

I guess I'll find out for sure in a couple of weeks on my next flight.

SCQ83

Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:37 pm

So this is just a mall attached to Changi?

What a depressing place Singapore is. Is there anything else to do other than shopping?

Polot

Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:37 pm

RawSushi wrote:
GlobalAirways wrote:

This isn't exactly a "Terminal" in the sense that there are no gates, but according to the media reports it's possible to check-in here early, enjoy the place air-side, and then proceed to one of the terminals to board the plane.

Yes it is basically a land side shopping/garden/entertainment hub connecting most of the terminals with check in and baggage claim facilities.

Note that is not actually called the Jewel “Terminal”, just Jewel Changi Airport.

blooc350
Topic Author

Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:49 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

What a depressing place Singapore is. Is there anything else to do other than shopping?

I mean when the country's GDP is 323.9 billion USD, what else is there to do then shop?

BestWestern

Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:53 pm

This is a shopping centre attached to the airport. This is not a terminal.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

SCQ83

Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:54 pm

blooc350 wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

I mean when the country's GDP is 323.9 billion USD, what else is there to do then shop?

Developed countries are increasingly past the conspicuous consumption. The US does even rarely build new malls anymore. This thing about who has the biggest mall is a very emerging countries' thing. I am surprised this excitement about a new mall with such "exotic" brands like Zara, Uniqlo or Mango that can be found in any shopping center around the world, from Bangkok to Barcelona or from Los Angeles to Dubai.

https://www.jewelchangiairport.com/cont ... /shop.html

NearMiss

Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:57 pm

It has a Shake Shack and a huge garden? I need to go!
"There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

rbavfan

Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:11 pm

RawSushi wrote:
GlobalAirways wrote:

All over the world there are terminals with no gates. The gates are in 1 or more satellite concourses, Some connect via underground or over taxiway tunnels to the terminal building. Very good example is Denver. Not a single gate terminal side.

VirginFlyer

Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:24 pm

Very interesting concept. It reminds me of the Gardens by the Bay. I wonder how well the early check-in service will be used for people making a day of it, versus people just popping in briefly after regular check in.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

EMB170

Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:35 pm

Prost wrote:
LAX Terminal 3 of all places has Shake Shack.

I also just read in a press release that the new MSY will have Shake Shack AND Cafe DuMonde...
IND ORD ATL MCO PIT EWR BUF CVG DEN RNO JFK DTW BOS BDL BWI IAD RDU CLT MYR CHS TPA CID MSP STL MSY DFW IAH AUS SLC LAS

LovePrunesAnet

Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:50 pm

best analogy i can make to it's situation at the airport is this: (without going to the trouble of creating some online photo account just to display an aerial map from google maps...what a pain, wish we could just upload a pic but i digress)

imagine if LAX did a huge covered roof area down near the TBIT that was positioned between the parallel stretches of drop off/arrival roadways...what is a parking garage now. on 3 sides you would have terminal buildings, and on the 4th side you'd have road/parking structures. that's how the Jewel building fits among the terminal building. It's a pretty stunning piece of architectural infill but doesn't add any gates or anything. check on google maps. it's over an area that was all completely landside to begin with. looks perhaps like it was roads and parking, and now has a transit route through the jewel.

https://www.google.com/maps/@1.3598628, ... a=!3m1!1e3

ojjunior

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:01 am

ITSTours wrote:
ojjunior wrote:

Unfortunately ICN isn't in my list of visited airports (so far).
Perhaps I'm just unlucky...

EMB170 wrote:
ojjunior wrote:

I know, right? But JFK has them (at least the DL terminals do, IIRC).

EMB170

Been there and didn't see, maybe because I didn't fly DL...

airbazar

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:24 am

BestWestern wrote:

If you can check-in for your flight then it sure sounds like a terminal.

SomebodyInTLS

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:45 am

SCQ83 wrote:

Eehhhhh.... ummmm....

no.

:lol:

Oh yeah, lots of food.
"As with most things related to aircraft design, it's all about the trade-offs and much more nuanced than A.net likes to make out."

SomebodyInTLS

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:49 am

SCQ83 wrote:
This thing about who has the biggest mall is a very emerging countries' thing. I am surprised this excitement about a new mall with such "exotic" brands like Zara, Uniqlo or Mango that can be found in any shopping center around the world, from Bangkok to Barcelona or from Los Angeles to Dubai.

Tell that to the millions of Singaporeans and other SE Asians who flock to Bicester Village every year. Dragging suitcases on their way direct to/from Heathrow. Mind-boggling.
"As with most things related to aircraft design, it's all about the trade-offs and much more nuanced than A.net likes to make out."

FromCDGtoSYD

Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:08 pm

Arrived in T1 yesterday, was suprised to see it open. People queuing with their "pre opening" tickets were being filtered at the entrance, made the already minuscule arrival hall seem so crowded. Quite annoying if you ask me, I hope the flow of people normalises once it opens for good.

From what I saw the garden looked nice though

ITSTours

Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:36 pm

ojjunior wrote:
ITSTours wrote:
ojjunior wrote:

Unfortunately ICN isn't in my list of visited airports (so far).
Perhaps I'm just unlucky...

As a trivia, the Shack in the Jewel is operated by SPC, a Korean food company which also operates the one in the ICN T2 (and all Shacks in S Korea).

BestWestern

Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:21 pm

airbazar wrote:
BestWestern wrote:

It’s a shopping centre with a baggage belt. No aircraft gates, no security, no lounges, no immigration.

It’s as much a ‘terminal’ aaa the HKG Kowloon railway station is.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

chunhimlai

Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:23 pm

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
best analogy i can make to it's situation at the airport is this: (without going to the trouble of creating some online photo account just to display an aerial map from google maps...what a pain, wish we could just upload a pic but i digress)

imagine if LAX did a huge covered roof area down near the TBIT that was positioned between the parallel stretches of drop off/arrival roadways...what is a parking garage now. on 3 sides you would have terminal buildings, and on the 4th side you'd have road/parking structures. that's how the Jewel building fits among the terminal building. It's a pretty stunning piece of architectural infill but doesn't add any gates or anything. check on google maps. it's over an area that was all completely landside to begin with. looks perhaps like it was roads and parking, and now has a transit route through the jewel.

https://www.google.com/maps/@1.3598628, ... a=!3m1!1e3

Thats was similar to the LAX expansion plan 70 years ago

ojjunior

Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:08 pm

chunhimlai wrote:

Dear Lord, this is beyond beautiful!!!
Considering have being conceived in the 40's it would be amazing up to this day!!!

highflier92660

Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:11 pm

chunhimlai wrote:

I have not seen that artist depiction of "LAX of the future" before. What a striking contrast of contemporary eco-architecture within an enormous hermetically sealed interior and old Douglas propeller airliners. I note seven arrival and departure satellites encircle the central terminal. If this was circa 1950 it was only four years after they built the temporary airline buildings east of Supulveda Blvd. I'm wondering who submitted this? It was almost too early for Pereira & Luckman.

MillwallSean

Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:20 pm

Took the daughter to the preview before we flew out. the green is awesome. shopping and food is well normal.

Not sure why some where talks about Jewel and best terminal. This is not a terminal. This is a shopping-arcade next to the airport.
This is for locals and is meant to see people wine, dine and shop at Changi. For those of us that are regulars we have seen the reduction of offers in the arrivals halls and well, with Jewel coming online I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar development in the other 2 terminals. Also, people have recently been banned from buying tickets and not flying with the threat of SG judiciary being involved should that happen. A previously practice not too common but where sometimes relatives would accompany people to the gate, meet at the gate and shop some at Changi etc.

SIN Changi regaining its top price. NO way, they have been going downhill. Main reason, new Terminal 4. An example of what SIN these days think is good enough. Would never have been approved if LKY had any say. Only connected to any MRT via an airport bus that is constantly overcrowded and sees people fall over on a daily basis. Its an OH/S issue of giant proportions. Overall T4 is a sad example of a termianl, no matter the nice decor resembling an 'old chinese' street. Seriously it is poor and I am sad that my dear beloved changi takes such shortcuts, just shouldnt happen if you want to be a worldairport or destination.
KUL T2 is nicer. I also assume that Jewel has seen what KUL T2 is and realied that Changi needs to see more people spend further time at the airport
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

chunhimlai

Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:02 am

highflier92660 wrote:
chunhimlai wrote:

I have not seen that artist depiction of "LAX of the future" before. What a striking contrast of contemporary eco-architecture within an enormous hermetically sealed interior and old Douglas propeller airliners. I note seven arrival and departure satellites encircle the central terminal. If this was circa 1950 it was only four years after they built the temporary airline buildings east of Supulveda Blvd. I'm wondering who submitted this? It was almost too early for Pereira & Luckman.

That was Pereira & Luckman first submission in 1953, but they change their mind as airlines have preferred individual ticket counters. The revised masterplan was almost as same as what was built in 1960s.
A downscale building of the centre dome terminal in 1953 masteplan was built, and it is the Theme Building in LAX

More detail can be read there:
https://www.academia.edu/7694194/LAX_De ... he_Jet_Age

acchien

Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:38 pm

Awesome video of Sky Train ride through Jewel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQtejJSH-Iw

junlinwong94

Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:29 pm

ewt340 wrote:
What I want to know is how high the temperature in the Garden itself? Is it as hot as the outside air. Or is it slightly cooler?

I went there 3 days ago for the preview, some parts of the mall are colder, esp the top most level with all the trees planted. I was shivering a bit as I was wearing bermudas:/

VirginFlyer

Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:37 pm

acchien wrote:
Awesome video of Sky Train ride through Jewel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQtejJSH-Iw

Is the intention to have a stop in there, or does it just pass through?

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

ewt340

Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:24 pm

junlinwong94 wrote:
ewt340 wrote:

I went there 3 days ago for the preview, some parts of the mall are colder, esp the top most level with all the trees planted. I was shivering a bit as I was wearing bermudas:/

I see, I thought they went with the outdoor temperature in the garden section itself.

acchien

Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:19 am

VirginFlyer wrote:

V/F

It just passes through. Jewel is built over the existing tracks on what used to be an open-air car park between the control tower and Terminal 1.

junlinwong94

Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:08 am

acchien wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:

V/F

It just passes through. Jewel is built over the existing tracks on what used to be an open-air car park between the control tower and Terminal 1.

Yeap, the skytrain passes through inside Jewel but slows down when its passing thru in it to allow to passengers to have a glimpse of how Jewel looks like on the inside

jeffrey0032j

Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:11 am

BestWestern wrote:
airbazar wrote:
BestWestern wrote:

It’s a shopping centre with a baggage belt. No aircraft gates, no security, no lounges, no immigration.

It’s as much a ‘terminal’ aaa the HKG Kowloon railway station is.

Same could be said for HKG T2, why they even bothered with calling it a terminal is another issue. At least Changi themselves aren't calling Jewel a terminal.

Coal

Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:33 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

Tons, especially nature and museums, but it’s easy to be lazy and critical rather than to do a bit of research, isn’t it?
Nxt Flts: KE SIN-ICN-ATL | DL ATL-FLL | AA MIA-ATL | KE ATL-ICN-SIN

huaiwei

Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:01 pm

Just visited it today. To answer some of the questions asked:

Yes, there are early check-in facilities. You self-check in. You check-in your bags. There is a proper lounge. No, this still obviously does not make it an airport terminal.

Changi builds this clearly because it wants to make better use of that open-air car park. What better use than a major mall to generate income and help ensure the airport taxes can remain competitive and attract airlines and passengers to use Changi. Unlike newer airports, Changi's existing outlets are spread out across the four terminals, which does not create a critical mass which can be more attractive to potential spenders, so this huge mall solves that issue.

But building just another boring mall risks being unsustainable given that the airport is obviously less accessible for locals given its geographic location, and it is not as if international travellers are going to choose to transit in Changi just because of a boring normal mall. Hence enters the rain vortex and greenery built on a superlative scale to make sure it creates an impact.

Having just been there, I can attest that the forest alone is enough to generate that impact.

Have a look yourself via videos such as these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYhQhAPN3Vw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsse-Zem4q0

mfe777

Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:17 pm

So beautiful. I hope that US airport design returns to being groundbreaking like this. I'm optimistic to see how the new ORD and LGA redesigns turn out.

airbazar

Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:25 pm

mfe777 wrote:
So beautiful. I hope that US airport design returns to being groundbreaking like this. I'm optimistic to see how the new ORD and LGA redesigns turn out.

Something like this (replacing a car garage with a shopping mall) would never work in the U.S. for the simple fact that car garages generate more revenue than shopping malls.

oro

Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:34 pm

Two weeks ago I was in Changi T2 and T3. Really amazing Airport!

huaiwei

Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:42 am

airbazar wrote:
mfe777 wrote:

Something like this (replacing a car garage with a shopping mall) would never work in the U.S. for the simple fact that car garages generate more revenue than shopping malls.

There is still a car park. It just went underground....spread over three levels for more parking space and more profits. :D

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos