NateGreat
Topic Author
Posts: 351
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:02 pm

Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:19 pm

Does anyone know why China Airlines flies into Gatwick instead of Heathrow for their Taipei to London flights? Is it an issue with slots at Heathrow, or is it something else?
 
sw733
Posts: 5822
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:19 am

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:21 pm

First off, EVA does fly TPE-LHR, so there are flights from Taipei to Heathrow. But no, not on China Airlines.

I am not sure of the story behind why China Airlines doesn't do LHR.

EDIT: It doesn't appear there is an EVA flight today...so now I'm not sure if they have stopped LHR service, or it's just less than 7x weekly. Appears their flight search on their website is down for maintenance right now, too, which makes it even harder to figure out.
Last edited by sw733 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
StormRider
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:12 pm

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:21 pm

Is there an unwritten rule here that a thread must be created once a week saying why X doesn't fly from A to B?

Although this is a variation on it - why doesn't China Airlines not fly to LHR instead of LGW?


From this link when the resumed London flights
"China Airlines has not disclosed the frequency of the service or which airport it will use (it last served London between 2010 and 2012 via Heathrow). The airline might be able to claim historical use of the slots, but given the saturation at Heathrow the slots are unlikely to be available. Acquiring new slots would be expensive, and lengthen the break-even period for the route. Of Asian airlines serving London, only Tianjin Airlines relies on Gatwick."

https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/ ... don-301452
 
ExpatVet
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:35 am

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:26 pm

StormRider wrote:
Is there an unwritten rule here that a thread must be created once a week saying why X doesn't fly from A to B?


Sure, we even have a rota - why, did last week's volunteer forget? ;)
L101, 733/4/5/8, 741/2/3 (never managed 744!), MD 80/2/3/8/90, MD11, DHC8/3/Q4, E170, E195, 757, 77W, 763/4, Travel Air 2000. A300/310, A319/320/321, A333, ATR-72, probably a few others I forget. Passenger, not pilot, alas! BUD based.
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2529
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:31 pm

sw733 wrote:
First off, EVA does fly TPE-LHR, so there are flights from Taipei to Heathrow. But no, not on China Airlines.


BR flys the route TPE-BKK-LHR, dating back to the days where Taiwanese airlines cannot overfly PRC airspace.

NateGreat wrote:
Does anyone know why China Airlines flies into Gatwick instead of Heathrow for their Taipei to London flights? Is it an issue with slots at Heathrow, or is it something else?


Slots. In fact when CI first flew to London they fly TPE-LHR twice per week on A343 from 2010-2012.

EDIT: StormRider sums it up for the most part. Also, it was mentioned in an article (I'll have to find it, it's from news in Taiwan) that the London flight is not exactly all that profitable, either, even after they switched to the current A359 operations.
Last edited by zakuivcustom on Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
BenChSFO
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:22 am

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:32 pm

sw733 wrote:
First off, EVA does fly TPE-LHR, so there are flights from Taipei to Heathrow. But no, not on China Airlines.

I am not sure of the story behind why China Airlines doesn't do LHR.

EDIT: It doesn't appear there is an EVA flight today...so now I'm not sure if they have stopped LHR service, or it's just less than 7x weekly. Appears their flight search on their website is down for maintenance right now, too, which makes it even harder to figure out.



I believe EVA flies TPE-LHR via BKK.
 
StormRider
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:12 pm

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:40 pm

BenChSFO wrote:


I believe EVA flies TPE-LHR via BKK.


https://www.google.com/flights?lite=0#f ... .USD.86181
yep

EVA website down for maintenance as of now though.
 
User avatar
bombayduck
Posts: 223
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:31 pm

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:16 pm

A quick check on FR24 shows BR067 does still route TPE via BKK to LHR.
 
metroline2006
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:19 am

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:18 pm

B-16710 BR67 inbound as we debate from TPE-BKK-LHR just over FRA about 1hr to run
 
skipness1E
Posts: 4427
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:18 am

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:21 pm

EVA continue to operate their longstanding one stop TPE-BKK-LHR, it’s been daily for a few years now.

As for China Airlines, CI069 operated into LHR with the A343, it was up to 3-4 weekly but they couldn’t make it pay on the A343 against EVA who had been there for years. So they returned the slots (to KLM?) and left the market. Once they got the A359 they reintroduced London BUT only to Gatwick as they gave up their LHR slots! They’ll move round if and when they can.
 
Amsterdam
Posts: 380
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:52 am

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:31 pm

Why does KLM still have KLM asia?
It was for Taipei right. But still in 2019 it is needed...? No other euro airlines go to Taipei I think so it cant be compared.

Do amerixans fly to Taipei? And if yes, do they also have something like KLM asia?

I dont want to make a new thread for this.
 
User avatar
hawaiian717
Posts: 3320
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 2:46 am

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:28 pm

Amsterdam wrote:
Do amerixans fly to Taipei? And if yes, do they also have something like KLM asia?


United flies to TPE and Delta used to. Neither has or had a separate subsidiary for Taiwan service.
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 3682
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:29 pm

hawaiian717 wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:
Do amerixans fly to Taipei? And if yes, do they also have something like KLM asia?


United flies to TPE and Delta used to. Neither has or had a separate subsidiary for Taiwan service.


They don't need to because they don't overfly China on their way to Taiwan. European carriers do.
 
notconcerned
Posts: 148
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:33 pm

Amsterdam wrote:
Why does KLM still have KLM asia?
It was for Taipei right. But still in 2019 it is needed...? No other euro airlines go to Taipei I think so it cant be compared.

Do amerixans fly to Taipei? And if yes, do they also have something like KLM asia?

I dont want to make a new thread for this.


AF flies CDG-TPE and UA flies SFO-TPE. Both are flying with their own aircraft and crew.
 
COSPN
Posts: 1720
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2001 6:33 am

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:34 pm

USA airlines are not owned by the government ..So “politically correct “ airlines were created in other countries such as Japan Asia Airways/ KLM Asia..BA Asia . To fly to Taiwan in keeping with the “one China “ agreement
 
Amsterdam
Posts: 380
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:52 am

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:45 pm

notconcerned wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:
Why does KLM still have KLM asia?
It was for Taipei right. But still in 2019 it is needed...? No other euro airlines go to Taipei I think so it cant be compared.

Do amerixans fly to Taipei? And if yes, do they also have something like KLM asia?

I dont want to make a new thread for this.


AF flies CDG-TPE and UA flies SFO-TPE. Both are flying with their own aircraft and crew.


AF really? Didnt know that.
But no AF asia or something like that?
 
notconcerned
Posts: 148
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:59 pm

Amsterdam wrote:
AF really? Didnt know that.
But no AF asia or something like that?


AF Asie no longer exists.
 
Amsterdam
Posts: 380
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:52 am

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:01 pm

So... why does KLM still have it... striking
 
factsonly
Posts: 2683
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:52 pm

China Airlines does codeshare to LHR daily, routing TPE-AMS-LHR.

4x/week on China Airlines A350 TPE-AMS and KLM B737 AMS-LHR
3x/week on KLM B777 TPE-AMS and KLM B737 AMS-LHR

- CI 73 TPE 00.55 - AMS 07.50 A350-900 Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat
- CI 9387 TPE 00.20 - AMS 06.40 codeshare on KLM Tue, Thu, Sun

connects in AMS to LHR:

- CI 9367 AMS-LHR on KL1007
- CI 9365 AMS-LHR on KL1009
 
J343
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:40 am

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:12 pm

BR067/B068
 
jfk777
Posts: 6967
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:23 am

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:30 pm

BA used to have British Asia Airways when they flew to TPE as an extension of LHR to Hong Kong flights.
 
BNEFlyer
Posts: 216
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:41 am

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:13 pm

QF also had a subsidiary to fly to TPE, Australia Asia Airways. Flew under code IM until 1994 and was then disbanded in 1996 when QF was privatised. Swissair (as they were then) also had an Asia airline.
 
digitalcloud
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:03 am

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:33 am

StormRider wrote:
Is there an unwritten rule here that a thread must be created once a week saying why X doesn't fly from A to B?


Where's the like button?
 
hz747300
Posts: 2348
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:38 pm

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:17 am

bombayduck wrote:
A quick check on FR24 shows BR067 does still route TPE via BKK to LHR.


Is that better than going north over Japan, into Russia then across before going down into LHR? I saw a couple of China Airlines flights take this route. Anyhoo, I was staying in a cheap transit hotel outside of BKK and saw at checkin a whole 777 crew's worth of Eva crew checking in. So my guess is the crew that flies TPE-BKK then rests, then flies BKK-LHR and probably rests back in BKK before returning to TPE. Just a guess.
Keep on truckin'...
 
alan3
Posts: 302
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:13 am

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:22 am

digitalcloud wrote:
StormRider wrote:
Is there an unwritten rule here that a thread must be created once a week saying why X doesn't fly from A to B?


Where's the like button?


I'll take a post about why X doesn't fly from A to B over a post solely made to announce criticism any day. The former generates discussion, the latter does nothing but announce huffy disapproval.
 
tris06
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun May 27, 2018 12:36 am

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:54 am

CI's flight is not really unprofitable it just is not high yield. 2 reasons. TPE-London does not have strong business links and EVA has been flying for decades through BKK. This year and years from now will likely be better as it will steal some business from EVA and also high yielding customers generally don't switch airlines often.
 
User avatar
hongkongflyer
Posts: 681
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:23 am

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:12 am

Amsterdam wrote:
So... why does KLM still have it... striking


The costs to maintain the KLM Asia must be immaterial (basically just a shell company).
You don't know what will happened between China and Taiwan tomorrow,
no hurt to keep it to play safe.
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3108
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:32 am

VFR to heavy to make a profit on that long of a flight into a high cost airport.
 
tris06
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun May 27, 2018 12:36 am

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:08 am

CI may move to LHR if a slot is not too exspensive to do it. You can find the LF easily if you can read traditional chinese. I think you will find Taiwanese flying to London (a significant number too) are paying decent prices to go there directly. Kangaroo route passengers are mostly lowly priced but still important to help fill the plane. An example Pricing is 1000USD return economy, 1700USD return Premium economy and 3500USD Business class return. By far not really cheap but not high yield. For London to be a success they need to consisently around 85-90 percent LF maybe even more to make profit.

From personal experience as I usually fly out of HK to Europe on CI the yield is higher as well. I am looking to pay around 1400 USD for premium economy and short hual is just economy. I using the cheapest ticket class (quick look online).
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 2303
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:48 pm

StormRider wrote:
Is there an unwritten rule here that a thread must be created once a week saying why X doesn't fly from A to B?

Although this is a variation on it - why doesn't China Airlines not fly to LHR instead of LGW?



Still, a lot more interesting than other threads like "Fresno Aviation Thread". I mean. What the [email protected] Fresno, of all places. At least this is about Taipei!
 
StormRider
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:12 pm

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:20 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
StormRider wrote:
Is there an unwritten rule here that a thread must be created once a week saying why X doesn't fly from A to B?

Although this is a variation on it - why doesn't China Airlines not fly to LHR instead of LGW?



Still, a lot more interesting than other threads like "Fresno Aviation Thread". I mean. What the [email protected] Fresno, of all places. At least this is about Taipei!

You are not wrong....this was actually an interesting one.
 
Cunard
Posts: 2373
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:03 am

Yeah interesting upto to a point except for the fact that the title of the thread is ''Why are there no flights between Taipei and London Heathrow''?

Other than that yeah it's an interesting thread.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.
 
TC957
Posts: 3424
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:59 am

The early evening arrival time of the LGW service into TPE isn't great for onward connections.
 
Qantas16
Posts: 672
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:23 am

TC957 wrote:
The early evening arrival time of the LGW service into TPE isn't great for onward connections.


It does connect (relatively) well with their SYD, MEL and BNE/AKL service... TPE is a bit far east for many other (reasonable / high yielding) connections anyway.
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 2303
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:06 am

Qantas16 wrote:
TC957 wrote:
The early evening arrival time of the LGW service into TPE isn't great for onward connections.


It does connect (relatively) well with their SYD, MEL and BNE/AKL service... TPE is a bit far east for many other (reasonable / high yielding) connections anyway.


Indeed that's exactly [the main] part of the equation/problem...it's so east of everything, and to get there you literally bypass so many better hubs, that by definition Taipei flyers are by a large percentage Taipei-bound only.
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 2303
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:13 am

StormRider wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:
StormRider wrote:
Is there an unwritten rule here that a thread must be created once a week saying why X doesn't fly from A to B?

Although this is a variation on it - why doesn't China Airlines not fly to LHR instead of LGW?



Still, a lot more interesting than other threads like "Fresno Aviation Thread". I mean. What the [email protected] Fresno, of all places. At least this is about Taipei!

You are not wrong....this was actually an interesting one.


:D

I mean, try and compare Fresno (?!) with Taipei!!!
 
Viscount724
Posts: 19316
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:32 pm

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:12 am

sw733 wrote:
First off, EVA does fly TPE-LHR, so there are flights from Taipei to Heathrow. But no, not on China Airlines.

I am not sure of the story behind why China Airlines doesn't do LHR.

EDIT: It doesn't appear there is an EVA flight today...so now I'm not sure if they have stopped LHR service, or it's just less than 7x weekly. Appears their flight search on their website is down for maintenance right now, too, which makes it even harder to figure out.


Current schedules show BR daily TPE-BKK-LHR with 77W. CI is 4/wk TPE-LGW nonstop with A359.
 
SJOtoLIR
Posts: 2909
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:41 pm

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:22 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
BR flys the route TPE-BKK-LHR, dating back to the days where Taiwanese airlines cannot overfly PRC airspace.

Why doesn't EVA AIR operate the TPE-LHR sector as non-stop flights nowadays ? I'm not clear about the layover at BKK at this time.
It's not a matter about the range of the 77W for such distance.
Is it related to the shortage of proper demand of passengers into the TPE-LHR segment.
On the other hand, the Taiwanese airlines are currently flying to CDG, FRA, FCO, VIE and AMS in Central Europe as non-stops.

Regards.
"Goin' up to the spirit in the sky"
 
SQ317
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:16 pm

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:12 pm

SJOtoLIR wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
BR flys the route TPE-BKK-LHR, dating back to the days where Taiwanese airlines cannot overfly PRC airspace.

Why doesn't EVA AIR operate the TPE-LHR sector as non-stop flights nowadays ? I'm not clear about the layover at BKK at this time.
It's not a matter about the range of the 77W for such distance.
Is it related to the shortage of proper demand of passengers into the TPE-LHR segment.
On the other hand, the Taiwanese airlines are currently flying to CDG, FRA, FCO, VIE and AMS in Central Europe as non-stops.

Regards.


I think it's more that they get a lot of traffic between LHR-BKK. Why change a good recipe. They have big Y+ cabins on the 777s flying the route, whereas TG don't and the BA flight has dated cabins. When I flew it the Y+ cabin was packed (as was Y and J from what I could tell) and a lot of people weren't travelling on to TPE.
 
trex8
Posts: 5310
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:04 am

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:48 am

SQ317 wrote:
SJOtoLIR wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
BR flys the route TPE-BKK-LHR, dating back to the days where Taiwanese airlines cannot overfly PRC airspace.

Why doesn't EVA AIR operate the TPE-LHR sector as non-stop flights nowadays ? I'm not clear about the layover at BKK at this time.
It's not a matter about the range of the 77W for such distance.
Is it related to the shortage of proper demand of passengers into the TPE-LHR segment.
On the other hand, the Taiwanese airlines are currently flying to CDG, FRA, FCO, VIE and AMS in Central Europe as non-stops.

Regards.


I think it's more that they get a lot of traffic between LHR-BKK. Why change a good recipe. They have big Y+ cabins on the 777s flying the route, whereas TG don't and the BA flight has dated cabins. When I flew it the Y+ cabin was packed (as was Y and J from what I could tell) and a lot of people weren't travelling on to TPE.

IIRC the original Taiwan-UK ASA allowed a specified number of flights only with a required stop and these rights were awarded to BR, (at a guess I would suggest it was because BA were never going to operate a non stop from London so why let the Taiwanese carriers have an advantage). When it was revised, and non stops allowed with additional flights, the rights went to a 2nd carrier- CI. BR cant just arbitrarily decide to end the BKK stop, the ASA has to be rewritten.
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2529
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:25 pm

trex8 wrote:
IIRC the original Taiwan-UK ASA allowed a specified number of flights only with a required stop and these rights were awarded to BR, (at a guess I would suggest it was because BA were never going to operate a non stop from London so why let the Taiwanese carriers have an advantage). When it was revised, and non stops allowed with additional flights, the rights went to a 2nd carrier- CI. BR cant just arbitrarily decide to end the BKK stop, the ASA has to be rewritten.


I don't think the bilateral limits has to do with BA, but rather with politics. Taiwan-Europe non-stop in general would have to overfly PRC, and back when the original ASA was signed, I don't think Taiwanese carriers (or flights to/from Taiwan on any carrier) can overfly PRC airspace. If anything, the one that benefits the most from that operation is CX (HKG-TPE was known as the "golden route" for years for that reason).

But yes, IIRC it's limited bilateral rights - i.e. only a single (Taiwanese?) carrier can operate non-stop Taiwan-UK. That applied to a few other European countries also.
 
User avatar
huaiwei
Posts: 351
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:36 am

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:41 am

I find it hard to believe that a non-stop TPE-LHR flight via CI of 2010-2012 cannot compete with a circuitous TPE-BKK-LHR routing via BR. Is brand loyalty that much more important than saving 3 to 7 hours and the inconvenience of a stopover?

BTW, Taiwanese airlines can fly over Chinese airspace, provided they route through Hong Kong. Hence, CI69 goes via the northern route over Russia and Scandinavia, but CI70 goes through southern China, through Hong Kong, and then to Taiwan.
It's huaiwei...not huawei. I have nothing to do with the PRC! :)
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2529
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:23 pm

huaiwei wrote:
I find it hard to believe that a non-stop TPE-LHR flight via CI of 2010-2012 cannot compete with a circuitous TPE-BKK-LHR routing via BR. Is brand loyalty that much more important than saving 3 to 7 hours and the inconvenience of a stopover?


The problem is that CI operates that flight with A340-300, which is a plane that, no matter how people spin it, is just inefficient. It also has some pretty old on-board product compare to BR.

huaiwei wrote:
BTW, Taiwanese airlines can fly over Chinese airspace, provided they route through Hong Kong. Hence, CI69 goes via the northern route over Russia and Scandinavia, but CI70 goes through southern China, through Hong Kong, and then to Taiwan.


I know about Taiwanese airlines being able to fly over PRC airspace nowaday. Back when the initial Bilateral between Taiwan and UK were signed (Which is WAY back), though, IIRC such overflying is still not possible.

Also IIRC Taipei Center and Shanghai Center hand off to each other also, but that's a rather circuitous route going northward, and it's probably easier for Taiwanese carrier to just go north to Russia and then "West" across Siberia.
 
trex8
Posts: 5310
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:04 am

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:23 pm

IIRC the CI LHR flights were routed east and westbound south of the Himalayas, while today all the Europe flights go north and over Siberia westbound and still south of the Himalayas eastbound. The A340 didnt quite have the legs to do this efficiently compared to the A350. Remember until 2012, jet fuel was almost twice the price it is now.
BR could depend on significant traffic UK-BKK to make the flight work, without that traffic I doubt it would be profitable. It was really more a TPE-BKK and BKK- LHR flight with some people going the whole way. CI on a non stop is depending almost exclusively on O & D traffic between Taiwan and UK, They also didnt have the number of flights back then from Taiwan-Aus/NZ to feed like they do now.
 
BlueTrue
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: Why are there no flights from Taipei to London Heathrow?

Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:35 pm

CI uses the A350 to Lgw.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos