jamsco99
Topic Author

3am scheduled departure from lgw

Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:44 pm

Ps114 is scheduled to depart lgw at 0300.
The departures either side of this flight are at 2200 and 0600. Just find it odd that theres this random flight in the middle of the night. Does Gatwick not have a departure curfew?

lightsaber

Re: 3am scheduled departure from lgw

Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:05 pm

The noisiest aircraft are prohibited. Other aircraft are subject to a noise quota:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_f ... strictions

I'm against curfews as there are delays. This odd schedule is probably driven by arrival time. Where does the flight go?

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

airbazar

Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:07 pm

There are restrictions but not a ban.
https://www.gatwickairport.com/business ... ght-noise/

Vasu

Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:26 pm

jamsco99 wrote:
Ps114 is scheduled to depart lgw at 0300.
The departures either side of this flight are at 2200 and 0600. Just find it odd that theres this random flight in the middle of the night. Does Gatwick not have a departure curfew?

That’s if it takes off... I was booked on it last year and it got cancelled :(

eirflot

Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:32 pm

To Kiev
Allows for a late departure from Kiev and early morning return
It also allows for better aircraft utilisation

SCQ83

Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:53 pm

eirflot wrote:
To Kiev
Allows for a late departure from Kiev and early morning return
It also allows for better aircraft utilisation

Those insane timings are common at UIA in Western Europe. MAD-KBP has a similar schedule.

CrimsonNL

Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:13 pm

Their AMS morning departure used to leave at 0530, I thought that was bad enough! Unfortunately PS lost their slot for that. All these departures allow for an early arrival in KBP to enable connections. The first available arrival time into KBP from AMS (direct) is now at 1320 I believe, opb KLM.

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

PSAatSAN4Ever

Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:33 am

Thank you to the original poster for the interesting question that has now piqued my curiosity into looking into Ukraine International (PS), Kiev, and relative distances in Europe.

Given that Kiev is WAY too far east to ever have many intra-European connections, most of the connecting traffic will be intra-Ukrainian. Therefore, it is logical to conclude that hub times in Kiev are timed for the needs of the citizenry there, incoming international traffic wishing to connect will have to arrive at the appropriate time, necessitating "odd" departure times in western Europe.

It kind of reminds me of learning Mexican carriers' business plan: VFR traffic from the U.S. to Mexico likes to arrive at places like Morelia (MLM), Leon/El Bajio (BJX), and Culiacán (CUL) before dawn, so they have time to make their way to the bus station to be one the first bus to their home towns. Tourists to beaches and the like, however, like to fly mostly in the day, so planes could be utilized fully throughout the day.

jamsco99
Topic Author

Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:46 am

With there being a 3 hour gap either side between this and other departures is anything open airside?
Until I saw this flight I thought airside closed overnight to allow for cleaning, maintenance etc

Blerg

Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:22 am

jamsco99 wrote:
With there being a 3 hour gap either side between this and other departures is anything open airside?
Until I saw this flight I thought airside closed overnight to allow for cleaning, maintenance etc

UIA is famous for its cheap tickets so I suppose their passengers wouldn't be spending a great deal of money at airport shops. My guess is that everything, or most of the shops anyway, would be closed.

SCQ83

Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:19 am

Blerg wrote:
jamsco99 wrote:

UIA is famous for its cheap tickets so I suppose their passengers wouldn't be spending a great deal of money at airport shops. My guess is that everything, or most of the shops anyway, would be closed.

Maybe there is something open. For instance in MAD T4 there is a McDonald's open 24/7 airside. It is the only open outlet in the airport at night.

Andy33

Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:00 am

Both North and South Terminals have airside branches of Pret a Manger and Starbucks which are open 24 hours, and there are also landside coffee-shop type outlets that are open continuously
Shops, other than World Duty Free, are closed from the last flight of the preceding day until around 04:00..

The terminals do not close. What does close sometimes is security, so for periods of time after the last departure of the day you can't pass between landside and airside, though if you're already airside you aren't affected. What these periods of time are varies by terminal, day of the week, and season. You can be sure that security will reopen at least 2 hours before the next scheduled departure, and the first wave of based planes start leaving from 05:30 so it will always open by 03:30 even when there isn't a PS departure in the middle of the night.

PS currently use South Terminal. There seems some confusion on the official Gatwick Airport website as to which terminal they will use after the IATA timetable season changes at the end of this month.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos