TheFlyingDisk

Re: Malaysia Mulls Shutting Down or Selling MAS

Tue May 14, 2019 11:58 pm

mercure1 wrote:
Analyst at Malaysia's largest bank Maybank calls for MAS and SIA to merge

https://www.thestar.com.my/business/bus ... s-analyst/
https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/ ... on-analyst

For this to work he says there "would first need a change in the mentality of people that an airline had to represent their respective countries. A merger between them will see a lot of improvements in terms of scheduling. Besides, relocation of assets can also be optimised,”

The analyst is smoking something rather potent. I often take his recommendations with a spoonful of salt.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

malaysia

Wed May 15, 2019 4:52 am

jani13 wrote:
It'll actually be perfect for Qantas

Yeah would bring back Kangaroo routes? SYD-KUL-LHR :)
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

69bug

Wed May 15, 2019 6:18 am

The Malaysian PM's comments are mostly to divert attention from the fact that his government has not much to show for the year that it has been in power. There is a lot of dissatisfaction with the lack of progress.

bug

Pellegrine

Wed May 15, 2019 8:02 am

I sure hope MAS never shuts down. Big MAS fan here.
oh boy, here we go!!!

janders

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:05 pm

MAS CEO says outside investors "could bring MAS to the next level, in terms of funds, knowledge and experience."

CEO says it would be a mistake however to sell the entire airline or shut it down, preferring outside investor instead.

Apparently, Khazanah Nasional is due to announce its plans for MAS by end of June or in July.

https://www.malaysiakini.com/news/478442
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

filipinoavgeek

Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:39 pm

Wonder if JL or QR could be interested considering they're fellow Oneworld members, and that JL-MH joint venture is happening.

LAXintl

Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:37 am

janders wrote:
MAS CEO says outside investors "could bring MAS to the next level, in terms of funds, knowledge and experience."

CEO says it would be a mistake however to sell the entire airline or shut it down, preferring outside investor instead.

Apparently, Khazanah Nasional is due to announce its plans for MAS by end of June or in July.

https://www.malaysiakini.com/news/478442

Crazy comments by CEO in that article --

"Are you brave enough to take on the liability of MAS? You'd be so stupid."

:eyepopping:
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

325i

Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:01 am

Greetings Folks, I do not see QF being in the "Loop" but and I stand to be corrected ,many years ago when MH were in trouble there was talk of QF coming to the party!
Cheers 325i.

TheFlyingDisk

Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:29 am

LAXintl wrote:
Crazy comments by CEO in that article --

"Are you brave enough to take on the liability of MAS? You'd be so stupid."

:eyepopping:

I sense there's anger behind his statement directed at a certain politician who made a lot of bad statements about MAS, without realizing (or maybe he does but just couldn't be bothered about it) that it was his actions that started the chain reaction to destruction.

I would think Captain Izham, who was with MAS since the glory days in the 1980s would definitely know what had happened behind the scenes back then.

325i wrote:
Greetings Folks, I do not see QF being in the "Loop" but and I stand to be corrected ,many years ago when MH were in trouble there was talk of QF coming to the party!
Cheers 325i.

That boat has sailed.

moa999

Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:21 pm

Can't imagine any foreign investment while there is still political interference (eg. Routes, pricing and fleet (380 decision)
And while private competitors seem to get better deals.

NZ321

Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:41 pm

The A380 decision / order was nearly a decade ago. Please let's move on. New government is working hard to clean up its act on corruption. If you live here you know that. It impacts life on multiple levels especially banking. We are all paying the price for the behaviour of a few.

And the rationale for MH is under the spotlight but that doesn't mean there's not a case for it.

KUL is a large city (Klang Valley is around 8m). Yet it has minimal connections to Europe (Only BA, KL, Condor). All the rest of the business goes to ME carriers, Thai and SQ. AK is not going to fill this void because it is in a different market. There is clearly an opportunity. As one who flies regularly (more than once a month on average) out of KUL I can say that for sure.

The question is, can MH re-engineer itself to be a leaner machine on regional routes (like NZ) to compete with AK and a full service carrier on key long haul routes? That is how they will win back market share and fix the bottom line. I'd say the present government may be up for it even if it means a brave decision such as scrapping business class on domestic routes. But we will only know after the outcome of the review is announced. Fingers crossed!

There are plenty of models out there that work to which MH can look for inspiration if the right team is in place and the government is serious about a fix and not interfering. If not, then MH's time may be done. The economy here can't prop up a loss making carrier year in and year out. The mood is one for change.
Plane mad!

LAXintl

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:44 pm

MAS CEO has submitted a turnaround plan for government review.

Malaysia Airlines (MAS) is waiting for government approval of its turnaround plan. CEO Izham Ismail told the Malay Mail the plan was submitted and would be reviewed by July. Other media have said the plan has yet to be formally submitted.

Ismail told the Mail MAS would remain a full-service carrier but needed to “renew and restructure our ASEAN business proposition” in a market that is dominated by LCCs.

MAS is effectively job creation programme, he said. “Malaysia Airlines might not be profitable, but organisations, stakeholders and companies that provide services to Malaysia Airlines are profitable,” he said.

http://www.orientaviation.com/articles/ ... round-plan

=

:sarcastic: Sounds like much of the same ideas from years ago when Khazanah took over.

filipinoavgeek

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:13 pm

LAXintl wrote:
“Malaysia Airlines might not be profitable

That sounds like a bad sign no matter how you spin it, especially if you can't reduce your losses.

behramjee

Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:39 am

filipinoavgeek wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
“Malaysia Airlines might not be profitable

That sounds like a bad sign no matter how you spin it, especially if you can't reduce your losses.

Losses can be reduced but it can’t be turned into a net profitable venture even with oil being priced at $55 a barrel currently.

The key is government stating point blank how much annually can MH be allowed to lose for them to afford so that they can work around that budgeted figure.

juliuswong

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:02 am

The current CEO is an operational guy, not from management or strategy or corporate planning background. He restored many of pilots' benefit which were cut during previous rounds of cost cutting to stop pilot's from leaving. That's about it. Others did not get any additional benefit or got their perks restored. There was a period last year when MH was really short of crew both pilot and cabin crew that they needed to cancel a lot of flight, causing much image damage. Not that it is enough damage anyway.

It is little wonder why MH is limping from one ICU to another ICU. Too difficult to be cured. Home turf is decimated by AirAsia Group and Lion Air Group. Intl market by Emirates, Qatar and Singapore Airlines and the likes.

The local isn't kind to MH too, after many rounds of bailout costing taxpayer's RM23billions in total, it is still not breaking even. They want top notch services, free luggage, free food and beverage, free aerobridge, free PTV, everything free. Lol
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

flee

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:10 am

Malaysia Airlines is a government corporation and has been run like the Malaysian civil service - highly inefficient. It is no surprise that they suffer losses when there is serious competition from LCCs. Although they have cut employee numbers, they have also drastically trimmed their network. As such, they really need to cut employee numbers again and be more aggressive in procurement - their suppliers are milking them dry! They also suffer from operational deficiencies - they had a severe shortage of pilots (competing airlines have lured their experienced pilots away) last year and the problem is still being resolved at the moment. The new Malaysian government should really put the airline up for sale to force them to operate as a private commercial airline. No more bailouts!

TheFlyingDisk

Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:03 am

NZ321 wrote:
The A380 decision / order was nearly a decade ago. Please let's move on. New government is working hard to clean up its act on corruption. If you live here you know that. It impacts life on multiple levels especially banking. We are all paying the price for the behaviour of a few.

I live here, and I can say with absolute certainty that this is not the case. And so I feel moving on from the sins of the past government, especially considering that the old head is now the new head is wrong.

flee wrote:
Malaysia Airlines is a government corporation and has been run like the Malaysian civil service - highly inefficient. It is no surprise that they suffer losses when there is serious competition from LCCs. Although they have cut employee numbers, they have also drastically trimmed their network. As such, they really need to cut employee numbers again and be more aggressive in procurement - their suppliers are milking them dry! They also suffer from operational deficiencies - they had a severe shortage of pilots (competing airlines have lured their experienced pilots away) last year and the problem is still being resolved at the moment. The new Malaysian government should really put the airline up for sale to force them to operate as a private commercial airline. No more bailouts!

The employee number includes its subsidiaries such as its ground handling, engineering, as well as Firefly & MASwings. Operationally, there aren't any meat left to cut.

I suppose they can close up their ground handling unit, but then there will be a monopoly since only one ground handler is left to handle everything. They can increase prices & there's nothing airlines can do about it. Another thing they can do is to maybe transfer MASwings to the state governments of Sabah & Sarawak and let them handle things, and/or spin off Firefly.

Or even, rehash old plans for Firefly to take over domestic routes while MAS concentrates on long haul & regional flights.

flee

Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:20 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
The employee number includes its subsidiaries such as its ground handling, engineering, as well as Firefly & MASwings. Operationally, there aren't any meat left to cut.

I suppose they can close up their ground handling unit, but then there will be a monopoly since only one ground handler is left to handle everything. They can increase prices & there's nothing airlines can do about it. Another thing they can do is to maybe transfer MASwings to the state governments of Sabah & Sarawak and let them handle things, and/or spin off Firefly.

Or even, rehash old plans for Firefly to take over domestic routes while MAS concentrates on long haul & regional flights.

There is still some fat left in the Management - MAG still employ too many management and non operational staff. Operational staff aren't as productive as in other airlines - so there must be a productivity drive to increase overall efficiency. MH should expand their network without recruiting unnecessary staff.

Firefly is not a big problem for them but MASWings is. So they need to focus on that. Transferring to state governments would ensure that MASWings will die a miserable death! State governments are even more incompetent than the Federal government.

Aero Darat is also not that efficient - so they need to buck up.

Bottom line is that there should be no more bailouts - the government needs the funds for higher priority projects. Malaysia Airlines has had more than its fair share of bailouts and it is time to put everyone in that organisation to test. No more gravy trains should run!

filipinoavgeek

Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:14 am

I wonder if a full privatization of MH can help save the airline or at least ease the bleeding. I know they were partly private until a few years ago, but IIRC at that time the state still owned a majority stake and meddled too much anyway (hence the A380 order, among others).

flee

Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:09 am

filipinoavgeek wrote:
I wonder if a full privatization of MH can help save the airline or at least ease the bleeding. I know they were partly private until a few years ago, but IIRC at that time the state still owned a majority stake and meddled too much anyway (hence the A380 order, among others).

Well, if there is no government shareholding it would be forced to look at commercial reality. And if it does not make profits, it will have to close down!

Before the state took over, it was a publicly listed company. The situation was so bad that it could not possibly make cash calls on shareholders. That was why it was delisted so that the government can bail it out.

CHRISBA35X

Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:14 pm

I think a lot of the issues stem from the inability to get hold of costs. Unionisation of an over-subscribed workforce, too many routes, the A380s, etc. Purge of the many layers of middle management, clean it all out.

If I were a consultant I'd shut it all down and then rebuild two new carriers - the first a quasi loco with 738/738MAX for short haul, 7310MAX for regional work with higher density. LoCo style Y product, super skinny on costs but with a premium Y product that stands up well to competitor's regional C products.

Second airline would be a much smaller full service high end long-haul carrier along the lines of SQ, using a mix of 789 and 78X. Probably only about 12 airframes max. Get rid of everything else. Three class strategy - one skinny Y with BOB food but free refreshments and no IFE screens, one premium Y with screens and free food and one high end C suite. Free wifi in all classes for streaming. No duty free offered.

Common pilot pools, back office etc, sole engine supplier (GE) taking power by the hour contracts. Sell off the MX and training centres to someone like LH Technik. Open the fueling in Malaysia to third party bidders not just Petronas.

Wont be popular but i think that is how MAS needs to proceed in my armchair CEO view.

janders

Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:59 am

Malaysia Airlines Berhad (MAB) is seeking approval for a revised turnaround plan aimed at better aligning its business strategy and fleet to address financial and market challenges.

The airline submitted its proposed plan to Khazanah Nasional Berhad, the government’s sovereign wealth fund, MAB CEO Izham Ismail told ATW on the sidelines of the recent IATA AGM in Seoul. Khazanah became the sole owner of MAB following a government bailout in 2014.

The carrier had been following a multiyear turnaround plan since the takeover but has not met targets for a return to profitability.

Malaysia Airlines submits new turnaround plan to state owner
https://atwonline.com/airlines/malaysia ... tate-owner

IndianicWorld

Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:22 pm

I really would like to see MH succeed, but honestly can’t see a way forward for them, especially if political interference continues to cause issues with any change that is suggested.

They have had a couple of highly regarded CEO’s in recent years and none could get the traction they needed, likely hamstrung by other factors.

Right sizing is good, but there’s a point that it no longer can stay relevant in the marketplace, so it’s a delicate balancing act, especially with the level of competition in its own backyard.

mercure1
Topic Author

Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:18 am

Few more stories including prime minister continuing to call for changes.

KUALA LUMPUR: Dr Mahathir Mohamad today said it would take more than a change in management to resuscitate Malaysia Airlines, amid calls for a shake-up at the national carrier.

“There are a lot of things wrong with the airline which have to be corrected,” he told reporters after officiating the 33rd Asia Pacific Roundtable here.

Malaysia Airlines needs more than a management change
https://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/categ ... says-dr-m/

Two Malaysia Airlines veterans, including a former CEO, have called for an overhaul of the carrier’s management after its failure for the fifth year to reach the top 20 in an international survey on airlines.
Mohd Jabarullah Abdul Kadir, former adviser to the Malaysia Airlines System Employees Union, said its board must consist of people who understand aviation and the industry.
He described as “unforgivable mistakes” the move to hire outsiders, sack staff and close down engineering and maintenance facilities.

Malaysia Airlines veterans call for shake-up
https://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/categ ... -rankings/
mercure f-wtcc

chonetsao

Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:14 am

Question:

Do you really think by LCC-nise MH can make it compete with already dominant AK?

Answer:
People used to Air Asia will continue stick with Air Asia. People stayed with MAS may be fed up with MAS in LCC mood and may defect to AK instead for cheaper fares.

LAXintl

Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:27 am

One of the cofounders and former chairman of AirAsia reportedly seeking to pull together a bid for MAS.

https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/ ... s-takeover

bennett123

Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:46 am

Mr Kadir apparently is looking for the CEO to be an MAS insider who will turn it round with no closures or staff cuts.

Wonder how this would work.

moa999

Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:06 am

Agree would be silly to go all-LCC.
Just no way to get to AirAsia's cost base.

But they need to get it down to at least close, but that involves political pain both from job cuts, and negotiation with some of the government owned airports.

janders

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:17 pm

Prime minister says they have received 4 bids for MAS. Mix of acquisitions proposals and management proposals.

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia ... is/1769625

xwb777

Qatar Airways to buy Malaysia Airlines?

Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:35 pm

According to several posts on Instagram, it was reported that Qatar Airways is in the processing of buying Malaysia Airlines. Qatar Airways is said to be the only buyer who submitted an offer to buy MAS.

However, another source has claimed that due to internal and geopolitical issues, QR's offered will be rejected.

A reliable source/link will be posted once it is found.

seansasLCY

Re: Qatar Airways to buy Malaysia Airlines?

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:08 pm

The Malaysian Government said that they received four bids. According to sources QR is one of them.

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... ur-bids-pm

smi0006

Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:17 am

Interesting move - MH most of all needs consistent and coherent strategy that sticks! Not constant changes with nothing delivered. Perhaps AAB slightly iron fisted approach is what MH needs to cut through the politics?

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:41 am

Not going to happen.

The PM is going to sell it to his cronies & then watch MH crash and burn to the ground (figuratively of course).

lightsaber

Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:32 am

So QR didn't learn from EY's equity alliance?
Jet, Etihad, AirBerlin.

Unless QR has free reign, a bad investment.

EK did well when they managed Sri Lankan. So it is possible. But probable?

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

speedbird52

Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:40 am

How is Air Italy working out again?

filipinoavgeek

Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:02 am

speedbird52 wrote:
How is Air Italy working out again?

Not very healthy from what I recall. Started a number of routes (like Bangkok) but already dropped some of them (like Bangkok). They also apparently cancelled the taking of 787s and will stick to A330s for now.

SCFlyer

Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:44 am

Sounds like Etihad repeated. As pointed out is the Air Italy example, not an example of roaring success.

smi0006

Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:09 am

lightsaber wrote:
Jet, Etihad, AirBerlin.

Lightsaber

Up until Air Italy, QR seemed to be buying profitable carriers (not a renovators delight like EY did -AZ). IAG,LA,CX - all doing pretty well. Then they had a brain fade and bought IG....

TN486T

Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:19 am

My money is on a SQ/MAS merger (more SQ than MAS)

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:55 am

TN486T wrote:
My money is on a SQ/MAS merger (more SQ than MAS)

I'm afraid you're going to lose money.

SQ has no need for MAS, and the PM won't want to lose face by selling MAS to a Singaporean company.

mercure1
Topic Author

Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:30 am

Morgan Stanley tasked to come up with strategic options for MAS.

Morgan Stanley Hired to Review Strategies for Malaysia Airlines
https://skift.com/2019/07/23/morgan-sta ... -airlines/
mercure f-wtcc

eta unknown

Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:27 am

smi0006 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
Jet, Etihad, AirBerlin.

Lightsaber

Up until Air Italy, QR seemed to be buying profitable carriers (not a renovators delight like EY did -AZ). IAG,LA,CX - all doing pretty well. Then they had a brain fade and bought IG....

Yes but IG was chump change- a small European carrier with very limited longhaul ops/aircraft. Not really an apples for apples comparasson.

TheEuphorian

Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:40 am

I can see the situation ending the same way with RG(Varig)'s privatization: taken over and intergrated into a LCC, which in RG's case is Gol, while in MH's case, it would get taken over by AirAsia group.

foxtrotbravo21

Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:34 am

Over the last decade and more MAS have lost over Malaysian rm20 Billion through few "restructurings" and the government using its national bank to create a company to buy aircrafts and then leased it to MAS. The only plausible way for MAS to ever come up to making even a small profit is for the government to completely selll it to a truly private enterprise and not to another government-owned company. Only when the government totaly leave their hands off MAS, will it be able to survive on its own if it is to ever try to succeed.

PB26

Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:08 am

[twoid][/twoid]
TheEuphorian wrote:
I can see the situation ending the same way with RG(Varig)'s privatization: taken over and intergrated into a LCC, which in RG's case is Gol, while in MH's case, it would get taken over by AirAsia group.

Varig wasn't state-owned.
Rio and all South America by Panair do Brasil’s jets.

GalebG4

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:51 pm

What Malaysia Airlines needs is to lower staff, maintenance, aircraft leasing and other airline operating costs. Since they have problems with overcapacity, fleet optimization and getting rid of wide body airplanes in favor of MAX10 would be their plan for their survival.

moa999

Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:19 pm

In no other country would MAS be able to merge with AirAsia due to competition issues, but this is Malaysia...
Malindo and MAS maybe, but I can't see the Indonesians being allowed near it.

Converting into an LCC won't work - AirAsia has too much scale compared to them to compete.

Better working on remaining as a premium carrier but reducing their costs towards LCC level - Malindo would be a good model, but stay in oneworld and keep the lounges and FF program

And realising that everytime a govt entity including airports gives a subsidy or cheaper rate to Air Asia, it effectively harms the value of MAS would help too.

mercure1
Topic Author

Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:06 pm

They hired a chief strategy officer to lead a turnaround plan. This person previously held the same role 2007-2011.

https://atwonline.com/people/new-chief- ... round-plan

Not sure much will come of it..
mercure f-wtcc

LAXintl

Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:59 pm

QR has submitted a formal proposal, while some pushing for a link with JAL since it itself has been through a restructuring. Also 4 local parties (not Air Asia) have also expressed interest in MAS.

https://www.ft.com/content/0c52aace-b9c ... 6628ac896c

NZ321

Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:30 am

I hope we will see a more coherent strategy with MH going forward. The current situation is hardly sustainable for obvious reasons. Apart from network review I hope we will see a coherent product for market strategy focusing on trimming unnecessary expenditure and focusing expenditure to drive revenue. That is especially with regard to domestic and regional. They may never compete on the same platform as AK but can significantly trim costs (business class on domestic / short haul 738s; for example could replace with a space plus type concept). Meanwhile those ex Air Berlin A332s... not sure it was such a pretty strategy having sampled them on numerous occasions. They may be ok for a short trip to Bali or similar but not for an 11 hour long haul to AKL. Have to keep the long haul product consistent. The aircraft may be in the fleet but the product is way off beam from what many people expect being return customers. Will surely be interesting to watch how the network and fleet plan unfolds over the coming months.
Plane mad!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos