Midwestindy

Re: Southwest schedule due out 3/14 /19

Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:24 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:
mcdu wrote:

Doesn’t DL have their own international feed to their BOS operation. Add in the benefit to having DL FF miles if you live in the NE versus WN. With DL those FF miles get you to vacation destinations like Hawaii from the east coast and back. With WN not so much and getting to a vacation destination on WN from the NE can involve some pretty inconvenient itineraries. I can imagine both the IND and the BOS traffic would benefit from DL over WN for most travel needs.

BOS is a big international hub for DL with flights to Europe, so there's that feed.

JFK is much the bigger TATL hub for DL. JFK-IND actually has less capacity than BOS-IND so I don't think TATL connections is the reason for DL's success BOS-IND.

Midwestindy wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
I understand IND-BOS might be a thin route but it's still surprising that 3x DL E-170s could drive them off.

WN has cut all the IND-Northeast routes in the past 1-2 years(DCA, EWR, and now BOS), plus cut back service to SAN, LAX, OAK, and MDW. Not too surprised here.....

The way you put it, WN is comprehensively giving up on IND-Northeast/MidAtlantic, not a function of Delta's performance BOS-IND specifically.

WN just doesn't have strong POS in the IND market (outside of Florida and leisure heavy markets), which makes routes like IND-BOS/EWR hard. They tried to get attract some business travelers in IND a few years ago, but it clearly was unsuccessful, as they lost a sizable contract last year after they dropped DCA and announced they were dropping EWR.

DL was commanding a much higher avg fare though, for Q3 IND-BOS WN was getting an avg fare of $157, compared to $256 on DL. Probably less because of BOS TATL operation, but because of strong DL POS on both ends. I doubt there are more than 10 PDEW connecting thru BOS to Europe on DL, with IND-CDG in addition to IND-DTW-Europe+IND-JFK-Europe.
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

AirFiero

Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:29 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Well One more day to Hawaii service!
Unfortunately the MAX8 grounding dampen the next wave of additional service.

Don't know how factually correct this is since I'm wrong 99.% of the time but here the latest and greatest news.
KOA stays just inter island until NOV.
SMF-HNL added in JUNE OGG in July
SAN in OCT.
LIH inter island pushes to DEC.
LAX Spring 2020
LAS,PHX,DEN summer 2020.
ITO back on the shelf under review again in 2020.

Flyguy

It is interesting that you keep mentioning LAX. Consistent word from folks (including, I believe, WN employees who seem to know stuff) say LAX isn’t even on the radar. It will be interesting to see what happens.

dbo861

Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:07 pm

wnflyguy wrote:

Don't know how factually correct this is since I'm wrong 99.% of the time but here the latest and greatest news.
SAN in OCT.
LAX Spring 2020
LAS,PHX,DEN summer 2020.

Flyguy

So why bother posting if you know your “insider information” is almost always wrong?

airliner371

Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:23 pm

dbo861 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

SAN in OCT.
LAX Spring 2020
LAS,PHX,DEN summer 2020.

Flyguy

So why bother posting if you know your “insider information” is almost always wrong?

You got anything interesting to contribute? At least he does...

wnflyguy

Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:07 pm

dbo861 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

SAN in OCT.
LAX Spring 2020
LAS,PHX,DEN summer 2020.

Flyguy

Because it's Airline nerd in me and speculation rumor fun and it get under a few people's skin because they take A.Net way to seriously.

Currently the WN employee standby list for tomorrow's first flight is 645 hahahahaha.

Aloha Bitches I'm doing the Luau dance tomorrow.
Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

wnflyguy

Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:26 am

Just heard the WN MX have an AIP on a new TA just Hours before the first ETOPS flight.
Let's hope this stops the shenanigans and the first ETOPS revenue flight will not go the same way as the MAX8 Texas triangle first flight went.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

ctrabs0114

Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:44 am

AirFiero wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

SAN in OCT.
LAX Spring 2020
LAS,PHX,DEN summer 2020.

Flyguy

It is interesting that you keep mentioning LAX. Consistent word from folks (including, I believe, WN employees who seem to know stuff) say LAX isn’t even on the radar. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Do you think that's due to demand, or lack thereof, for WN service out of LAX considering the available options available on LAX-HNL or do you think it's more because of gate space at LAX Terminal 1?
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), 739 (DL), 712 (DL)
Next: AA: DFW-PHL (752), PHL-MIA (763), MIA-LAX (77W), LAX-DFW (789)

Rdh3e

Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:57 pm

airliner371 wrote:

No he doesn't. He is making things up. Southwest doesn't have a plane that can even fly Hawaii-DEN/LAS/PHX for example so you know he's making it up.

mtnwest1979

Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:55 pm

Rdh3e wrote:
airliner371 wrote:

No he doesn't. He is making things up. Southwest doesn't have a plane that can even fly Hawaii-DEN/LAS/PHX for example so you know he's making it up.

Between his variable and unreliable projections and jplatts "could WN add XYZ- everywhere" posts, it makes for great fun lol.....
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

mcdu

Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:21 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
dbo861 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Aloha Bitches I'm doing the Luau dance tomorrow.
Flyguy

Is it necessary to post Aloha B***? That is pretty classless, but not surprising.

Hawaii is not a new continent that WN just discovered. Believe it or not people have been going there for a very long time.

AirFiero

Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:44 pm

ctrabs0114 wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

SAN in OCT.
LAX Spring 2020
LAS,PHX,DEN summer 2020.

Flyguy

Do you think that's due to demand, or lack thereof, for WN service out of LAX considering the available options available on LAX-HNL or do you think it's more because of gate space at LAX Terminal 1?

It hasn’t been my contention WN wouldn’t start LAX. It’s been discussed before, by others. Some WN folks here said no LAX in the near future. Others mentioned lack of gate space. Others said the market is saturated.

jplatts

Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:19 pm

ctrabs0114 wrote:

AirFiero wrote:
It hasn’t been my contention WN wouldn’t start LAX. It’s been discussed before, by others. Some WN folks here said no LAX in the near future. Others mentioned lack of gate space. Others said the market is saturated.

WN actually now has room to add more flights out of LAX with the reopening of two additional gates in Terminal 1 at LAX. There are other nonstop routes such as LAX-ALB, LAX-BHM, LAX-CHS, LAX-CLE, LAX-CMH, LAX-RSW, LAX-JAX, LAX-LIT, LAX-ORF, LAX-MCO, LAX-RDU, LAX-SEA, and LAX-IAD that could be added by WN out of LAX.

WN could add Saturday-only, Sunday-only, or weekend-only nonstop service to Hawaiian destinations from LAX, BUR, SNA, and ONT.

AirFiero

Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:22 pm

jplatts wrote:
ctrabs0114 wrote:

AirFiero wrote:

WN actually now has room to add more flights out of LAX with the reopening of two additional gates in Terminal 1 at LAX. There are other nonstop routes such as LAX-ALB, LAX-BHM, LAX-CHS, LAX-CLE, LAX-CMH, LAX-RSW, LAX-JAX, LAX-LIT, LAX-ORF, LAX-MCO, LAX-RDU, LAX-SEA, and LAX-IAD that could be added by WN out of LAX.

WN could add Saturday-only, Sunday-only, or weekend-only nonstop service to Hawaiian destinations from LAX, BUR, SNA, and ONT.

Ok, so they have the space. But do they *plan* to? That is for others to answer.

wnflyguy

Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:35 pm

Hawaii service is finally here and the fun and festivities are happening now in OAK.
It's Been a long drawn out process for Southwest.
While many people don't understand the fuss about Southwest finally achieving this goal. We lost our beloved Leprechaun Herb!
So it's awesome that on Saint Patrick's Day WN starts service to Hawaii today.

Congratulations Southwest Airlines!

Aloha A.net it's been fun WNFLYGUY.

bob75013

Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:41 pm

mcdu wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
dbo861 wrote:

Is it necessary to post Aloha B***? That is pretty classless, but not surprising.

Hawaii is not a new continent that WN just discovered. Believe it or not people have been going there for a very long time.

Don't ya see?

He's poking naysayers like you in the eye.

jplatts

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:38 pm

tphuang wrote:
Just picking Oct 28 to look at, FLL-PVD looks to be back.
ISP, BDL, BUF, ALB, PHL are all gone still
MKE looks to be gone
GCM and PLS are back, BZE remains not available.
DCA is back to 2 aday.

There are still some more nonstop domestic routes that could be added by WN out of FLL such as FLL-CVG, FLL-CLE, FLL-SDF, FLL-MEM, FLL-ORF, FLL-OAK, FLL-OMA, and FLL-SAN.

WN could also extend MKE-FLL nonstop service to year-round nonstop service since WN is currently the only airline serving the Miami/Fort Lauderdale market nonstop from MKE.

Silver1SWA

Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:13 pm

mcdu wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
dbo861 wrote:

Relax. It’s a popular movie quote.

mcdu wrote:

I don’t believe you.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

NorfolkSpotter

Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:55 pm

jplatts wrote:
ctrabs0114 wrote:

AirFiero wrote:

I would like to see WN try ORF-LAX, but I don’t think that ORF has enough demand. It could work once a weak in the summertime but I doubt it could work year round.

mcdu

Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:27 pm

bob75013 wrote:
mcdu wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Don't ya see?

Hmm. I didn’t think profanity was allowed. I never said you wouldn’t make it to HI, Mr Southwest. I just think it’s a poor decision and actually look forward to seeing how you guys at WN deal with the fallout.

Silver1SWA

Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:46 pm

mcdu wrote:
bob75013 wrote:
mcdu wrote:

Don't ya see?

Hmm. I didn’t think profanity was allowed. I never said you wouldn’t make it to HI, Mr Southwest. I just think it’s a poor decision and actually look forward to seeing how you guys at WN deal with the fallout.

Well if it’s anything like where you thought things were headed for WN ten years ago, you could be waiting a while. ;)
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Dominion301

Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:21 am

WN732 wrote:
Buffalomatt1027 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

WN announced the following today:
  • Return of STL-SLC nonstop service (weekend-only between August 10th and September 29th, daily starting on October 2nd)
  • Daily BWI-EWR nonstop service, starting on October 2nd
  • Weekend-only BNA-BUF nonstop service, starting on October 5th
  • Sunday-only HOU-AMA nonstop service, starting on October 6th
  • Sunday-only DAL-CLE nonstop service, starting on October 6th

The press release with the adds listed above can be found at https://www.swamedia.com/releases/release-c06a3e840c57c0ad7c0871e84c0ed4fa-southwest-airlines-adds-new-nonstop-flights-to-route-map.

I still dont understand WN and the weekend only flights ..... how can the route be successful or whats the point?

I would guess that this is the logic: If it can be even remotely profitable on a 1x per Sunday, then surely it'll make it throughout the rest of the week.

It’s a good way of testing the waters in some cases. In DAL’s case, additional weekend flying is about all they can still squeeze in. Sometimes a city pair actually has more weekend demand than on weekdays. This is especially true for Florida.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos