Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kaichinshih
Topic Author

BR Planning MXP + Eyeing FCO & Germany (MUC Rumored)

Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:29 pm

At its annual media gala, EVA Air CEO disclosed that the company is actively planning flights to Milan. The airline intends to launch 4 weekly TPE-MXP flights by Q1 2020. Current bilateral agreements allow BR to fly twice weekly to Milan. The two additional flights will either involve amendments to bilateral agreements or be flown in the form of scheduled charter.

Besides MXP, BR also expressed interest in Rome and Germany. The CEO didn't disagree when being asked whether the German destination is Munich.

China Airlines previously announced plans to serve MXP and PRG by late-2019. A new interview with CI management revealed that the planned launch date has been pushed back; MXP will be launched as early as summer 2020.

Sources
https://www.cna.com.tw/news/ahel/201903120214.aspx
https://tw.news.appledaily.com/new/realtime/20190312/1531768/
https://www.chinatimes.com/realtimenews/20190312004630-260410

SQ22

Re: BR Planning MXP and Germany (MUC Rumored)

Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:15 pm

As far as I know BR cannot fly into Germany because of the bilateral agreement between Germany and Taiwan. It allows only one airline flying into Germany, which is CI operating flights into FRA. BR is having some codeshares with LH to connect for example to VIE. I also noticed that lately you can even book flights from TXL connecting via LHR to BR flights. Theese flights are operated by either BA or EW. So something is going on, but I am not aware that the bilateral agreement has been changed. Anyone in the know?

frank1991

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:22 am

MXP will be a great destination for BR. I'm assuming this will go nonstop from TPE.

EVA was talking about starting BCN.. Don't know if this will come true too.

alan3

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:51 am

Will they use the 789?

Was quite surprised and disappointed to discover they don’t have premium economy on their new 789’s. They were one of the world pioneers in Y+.

SQ22

Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:07 am

alan3 wrote:
Will they use the 789?

Was quite surprised and disappointed to discover they don’t have premium economy on their new 789’s. They were one of the world pioneers in Y+.

They are getting only four and they should be used for VIE and AMS. So unless there is an equipment change I would think this is unlike, but its also depending on frequency and schedule of the mentioned routes.

hayzel777

Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:25 am

SQ22 wrote:
As far as I know BR cannot fly into Germany because of the bilateral agreement between Germany and Taiwan. It allows only one airline flying into Germany, which is CI operating flights into FRA. BR is having some codeshares with LH to connect for example to VIE. I also noticed that lately you can even book flights from TXL connecting via LHR to BR flights. Theese flights are operated by either BA or EW. So something is going on, but I am not aware that the bilateral agreement has been changed. Anyone in the know?

It's been reported by Taiwanese news that BR has been engaging the German and Italian governments since the end of last year about amending agreements to allow their flights. The Italy route authority is reportedly going to be an exemption by the Italians.

It's easier for BR to gain access/negotiate access to markets as they are private, avoid politics in public, and the Evergreen group itself has generally remained quite well-connected with the PRC. Their competitor CI is partially state-owned.

SQ22

Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:23 pm

hayzel777 wrote:
SQ22 wrote:

It's been reported by Taiwanese news that BR has been engaging the German and Italian governments since the end of last year about amending agreements to allow their flights. The Italy route authority is reportedly going to be an exemption by the Italians.

It's easier for BR to gain access/negotiate access to markets as they are private, avoid politics in public, and the Evergreen group itself has generally remained quite well-connected with the PRC. Their competitor CI is partially state-owned.

I think it would be a good idea and I would not be surprised in case LH is putting a code share on flights to TPE in case the flight would be a direct one instead of BKK and then TPE.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos