DFW17L
Topic Author

DFW 17C...open for business

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:24 am

Runway 17C is finally open again. The big day was March 10.
https://andystravelblog.boardingarea.co ... y-reopens/

727LOVER

Re: DFW 17C...open for business

Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:36 am

I was there in early October and it had just closed. No idea it would be that long. Guess 17L-35R took most of the traffic
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Acey559

Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:16 am

Excellent news! It doesn’t affect me much because my airline typically operates in and out of DFW at odd times of the night, but I’ll be looking forward to the rescinding of the 1000 NOTAMs that were associated with this construction. ;)
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie.

mcoatc

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:27 am

727LOVER wrote:
I was there in early October and it had just closed. No idea it would be that long. Guess 17L-35R took most of the traffic

The flow rate was reduced combined with an increase in traffic to 13R. 17L is already at capacity during many of the banks so it really doesn't offer much on the way of assistance.

The project was supposed to be done the week prior to Thanksgiving, so it obviously ran a little late, but it was really on time if you know how construction works around here. 18R is up for the same treatment next year. I'm certain any lessons learned from 17C won't enter the conversation about 18R because that would make far too much sense.

Acey559 wrote:
Excellent news! It doesn’t affect me much because my airline typically operates in and out of DFW at odd times of the night, but I’ll be looking forward to the rescinding of the 1000 NOTAMs that were associated with this construction. ;)

You didn't enjoy the seizure-like effect of 50,000 flashing barricade lights heading in and out? I thought it gave the place a distinctive look..... that was easily seen from the International Space Station.

BA777FO

Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:55 am

mcoatc wrote:
The project was supposed to be done the week prior to Thanksgiving, so it obviously ran a little late, but it was really on time if you know how construction works around here. 18R is up for the same treatment next year. I'm certain any lessons learned from 17C won't enter the conversation about 18R because that would make far too much sense.

I had no idea 18R was up next. Any idea on when it's pencilled in for? Guaranteed 25 minute taxi in for us from 17L/35R to Terminal D.

DFW17L
Topic Author

Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:59 pm

BA777FO wrote:
mcoatc wrote:

I had no idea 18R was up next. Any idea on when it's pencilled in for? Guaranteed 25 minute taxi in for us from 17L/35R to Terminal D.

My only hope is 17L will *not* be used when 18R is being resurfaced.

Sooner787

Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:13 pm

BA777FO wrote:
mcoatc wrote:

Still puzzled why the new runway is asphalt instead of concrete?

Is asphalt than much cheaper than concrete?

Also....how will an asphalt runway hold up in the DFW summer heat?

DFW17L
Topic Author

Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:52 pm

Sooner787 wrote:
BA777FO wrote:
mcoatc wrote:

Probably shorter landings and longer takeoff rolls :)

727LOVER

Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:03 pm

I have a few questions

1. The 3 days I was there...the UPS aircraft landed on 17L and taxied all the way over to their area which is waaaaaaay on the other side of the airport. Why not use 18R

2. While I was there, the BA 744 would always use 17R. Is that normal? 18L is a lot closer.

HOPING TO GO BACK SOON !!! :yes:
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

mcoatc

Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:24 pm

BA777FO wrote:
mcoatc wrote:

All we've heard is early 2020 but who knows.

Sooner787 wrote:
BA777FO wrote:
mcoatc wrote:

No idea, but suffice it to say there's a lot of questions from ATC and the pilots about how it'll hold up. Supposedly, it's a special mix rated to 190 degrees. It's also important to note that the concrete runway still exists under the asphalt. The middle panels were rebuilt and then the whole runway coated in an asphalt overlay.

727LOVER wrote:
I have a few questions

1. The 3 days I was there...the UPS aircraft landed on 17L and taxied all the way over to their area which is waaaaaaay on the other side of the airport. Why not use 18R

2. While I was there, the BA 744 would always use 17R. Is that normal? 18L is a lot closer.

HOPING TO GO BACK SOON !!! :yes:

1. Volume. Approach assigns runways and it's not practical to valet park everyone. When it's busy you're usually arriving on whatever side you feed in from.

2. Departure runways are assigned by SID. Eastbound departure SIDS depart from the east side because it's not practical to cross traffic. Again, ATC's job is to run a safe, efficient operation, which isn't always the most convenient for every user.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos