Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Midwestindy
Topic Author

GSP to Germany?

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:02 pm

According to President and CEO of GSP (Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport), he has made passenger service to Germany a focus for the airport

He added that because of big companies like BMW and their suppliers that call the Upstate home, they are also considering offering direct flights to Germany.

"We think a less than daily, what we call a "couple-of-times a week" service to a place like Frankfurt or Munich would do extremely well here in the Upstate, so we are focused on that moving forward."

There are some cargo routes to and from Germany and GSP, but even then a statement like this seems wild. Then again CHS just got a LHR flight, so anything is possible. However, a flight like that would definitely hurt CLT

https://www.wspa.com/news/gsp-adds-new- ... 1843519809
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

flymco753

Re: GSP to Germany?

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:19 pm

This route spells Condor.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

AVLAirlineFreq

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:38 pm

It's intriguing, but I'd be more inclined to think this was a reasonable possibility if a large international airport just 80 minutes up the road didn't already offer multiple flights a day to Germany, capturing much of the region's demand for travel to Frankfurt and Munich (there are numerous business ties to Germany across that entire area of NC and SC).

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:56 pm

Hard sell with all the service to Germany easily accessed via road or a connection in CLT or ATL. (drive from GSP-ATL is much longer and traffic-snarled)

MIflyer12

Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:02 pm

flymco753 wrote:

I though Condor did leisure stuff.

Is the airport director hoping for some non-cargo planes (passenger capacity)?

SJCMSP

Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:09 pm

I remember the only time I flew into GSP. I was on a connecting flight DTW-GSP and I became aware that my co-workers and I were the only people on the flight not speaking German.

Trk1

Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:28 pm

Lufthansa to Munich. Will replace Charlotte is my guess. Charlotte no longer has Star feed and GP serves more German business

WPvsMW

Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:56 pm

LH on MUC/GSP... perfect route for the B789s LH just ordered.
No *A feed at GSP, either. LH should ask for Cabotage GSP/DTW. Clemson should open a branch of ICAR at MUC. 8-)

Nicknuzzii

Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:01 pm

LH or UA (very unlikely) should hop on this. Bosche is very big in South Carolina and is based in Germany. They also use UA for a lot of their flying. Makes sense for a Star alliance carrier to me.

Nicknuzzii

Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:34 pm

LH or UA (very unlikely) should hop on this. Bosche is very big in South Carolina and is based in Germany. They also use UA for a lot of their flying. Makes sense for a Star alliance carrier to me.

WPvsMW

Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:42 pm

The EU-owned supply chain to Michelin, BMW, Bosche, Rieter, etc., a major source of traffic, too.
There's a reason Falls Park is the lure.
https://www.sccommerce.com/global-network

Q

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:33 am

Simple is that. LH should be flying FRA or MUC to CLT then hop to GSP same return to CLT then FRA or MUC flights. Why not?

Q

bagoldex

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:49 am

flymco753 wrote:

It spells delusional.

GSPFlyer

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:30 am

It would be cool to see! Since BA announced LHR-CHS, anything is possible, I suppose. I feel like as far as international service goes, AC on GSP-YYZ or maybe YUL is more likely to happen first. A flight to MUC or FRA would require something to be done about the customs facilities. IIRC, they are located on the ramp near the FedEx building, nowhere near the passenger terminal (and fairly small as well). I'm not sure if they have a facility in the passenger terminal, but I suspect they don't, unless they did something with the big re-model.

The cargo service to GSP for BMW and other auto suppliers has pretty much maxed out until they build the new cargo facility. They originally operated 2X weekly, but in the last week, there have been 5X GSP-HHN, all on 744's (oddly enough, I hear a plane in the distance as I type this, look on Flightaware, and it's this very flight departing GSP!)

Here's an article on the topic: https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/ ... 797931002/

bagoldex

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:46 am

GSPFlyer wrote:
It would be cool to see! Since BA announced LHR-CHS, anything is possible, I suppose

Charleston came about mainly through its popularity as a tourist destination. Greenville offers nothing in that regard and I highly doubt these manufacturing facilities even create twenty-five roundtrips per day to Germany.

Cactus732

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:05 am

bagoldex wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

It spells delusional.

Exactly Right. With 2 daily nonstop flights to Germany (Soon to be 3) less than a 90 minute drive away in CLT, passenger service to Germany from GSP is a pipedream at best.

Boof02671

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:37 am

LH has had six years to move the MUC flight and they haven’t. AA is starting CLT-MUC, US ran LH out of CLT-FRA market before.

rssgvegas

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:47 am

GSPFlyer wrote:
It would be cool to see! Since BA announced LHR-CHS, anything is possible, I suppose. I feel like as far as international service goes, AC on GSP-YYZ or maybe YUL is more likely to happen first. A flight to MUC or FRA would require something to be done about the customs facilities. IIRC, they are located on the ramp near the FedEx building, nowhere near the passenger terminal (and fairly small as well). I'm not sure if they have a facility in the passenger terminal, but I suspect they don't, unless they did something with the big re-model.

The cargo service to GSP for BMW and other auto suppliers has pretty much maxed out until they build the new cargo facility. They originally operated 2X weekly, but in the last week, there have been 5X GSP-HHN, all on 744's (oddly enough, I hear a plane in the distance as I type this, look on Flightaware, and it's this very flight departing GSP!)

Here's an article on the topic: https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/ ... 797931002/

The customs facility is right below gates A5-9 and can handle 250 passengers per hour. It has been there since it was converted to an international airport. It gets regular use with the 747 crews and charters that come from overseas.

GSP psgr

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:49 am

Only thing I could see is this: If the new AA CLT-MUC makes the LH service to CLT unprofitable, I could maybe see LH trying GSP-MUC with something like a PrivatAir 737 a few times a week to skim off the business traffic. As far as a LH 787? Way too big a plane to support the traffic.

WPvsMW

Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:37 am

Cactus732 wrote:
bagoldex wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

It spells delusional.

Exactly Right. With 2 daily nonstop flights to Germany (Soon to be 3) less than a 90 minute drive away in CLT, passenger service to Germany from GSP is a pipedream at best.

Cactus732, welcome to a.nut, or more accurately, to your first post. 7 years to first post. Might be a record.

fraT

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:20 am

Boof02671 wrote:
LH has had six years to move the MUC flight and they haven’t. AA is starting CLT-MUC, US ran LH out of CLT-FRA market before.

When was LH flying FRA-CLT?

Boof02671

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:54 am

fraT wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

When was LH flying FRA-CLT?

Early 90s they flew a 747 combi FRA-CLT-IAH-CLT-FRA.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos