User001
Topic Author

Air India suspends Madrid and Birmingham

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:35 pm

Announced via their social media channels today, Air India will suspend 3 routes from Saturday 16th March:

Armitsar-Birmingham
Delhi-Birmingham
Delhi-Madrid

They cite the current issues in the Kashmir region (overflights) and profitability. However, with so many aircraft out of operation, this may be to give them breathing room fleet utilisation wise too.

I fear it will be a while before these routes resume, indeed, if they do. This will be a blow for Birmingham in particular who don’t seem to be having a great time over the past 12 months.

BHX-ATQ is traditionally an important VFR and cultural route, but I still suffering in particular with the Turkmenistan route (mainly patronised by Armitsar bound passengers) also suspended.

EmoticonsAllDay

Re: Air India suspends Madrid and Birmingham

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:41 pm

Already being discussed in the Indian aviation thread for March 2019.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1416793&p=21180151#p21180151

User001
Topic Author

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:45 pm

It’s been mentioned once in that thread, but, given it’s quite big news for BHX specifically and posters may not visit the thread for BHX specific news. Thus, I feel this news warrants it’s own thread.

Cunard

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:13 am

User001 wrote:
It’s been mentioned once in that thread, but, given it’s quite big news for BHX specifically and posters may not visit the thread for BHX specific news. Thus, I feel this news warrants it’s own thread.

It certainly does warrant it's own thread as I personally don't read the Indian thread.

This is a major blow for BHX losing yet another long haul airline as well as another flag carrier with Air India intending on ceasing operations at the airport.

I must admit that I'm very surprised by this announcement.

Regarding Turkmenistan Airlines and Amritsar,

With Turkmenistan Airlines currently banned from EU airspace the airlines flights to BHX and LHR continued but were being flown by a leased Wamos B744, I'm not sure of the current status regarding these flights.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

sibibom

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:53 am

I am surprised, Air India cared about making money, or rather not losing much!

I suspect Air India expects Pakistani airspace ban to remain for a while, these routes probably have the worst yields, and probably they need a lil slack in their fleet cos most flights from Delhi is taking longer cos of the airspace ban.

Blerg

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:02 am

For us who don't follow British aviation, what's going on in Birmingham? Have any other routes suspended operations?

Suspension of BHX by AI must come as great news to the MEB3 but also to IndiGo and TK.

jmmadrid

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:31 am

In regards to Madrid, yields must have been appalling.

Air India was always the cheapest option, cheaper than all the one-stop options (EK, TK, QR, etc).

Very limited business traffic between both cities.

Most of their passengers (in summer) were backpackers to Delhi and some connections to Kathmandu. But in winter?

If this route ever returns, it will probably be seasonal.

TC957

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:46 am

That seems a very sudden decision to cancel routes with just 3 days warning. Wouldn't be surprised if QR or EK add an extra daily frequency now.

Spiderguy252

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:48 am

Quite clear that Pakistan continue to shut out Indian / neutral overflights only to spite India.

Can't think of too many military reasons for this to have gone on this long.
Vahroone

opticalilyushin

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:23 am

I think Turkmenistan have thrown in the towel on UK ops, but this is a gigantic blow to BHX. Does Emirates fly to Amritsar?

LupineChemist

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:35 am

jmmadrid wrote:

Air India was always the cheapest option, cheaper than all the one-stop options (EK, TK, QR, etc).

Very limited business traffic between both cities.

Most of their passengers (in summer) were backpackers to Delhi and some connections to Kathmandu. But in winter?

If this route ever returns, it will probably be seasonal.

I was with a company with quite a few people going back and forth to India and everyone preferred one stop in Doha or LHR to keep with oneworld and avoid AI.

Spiderguy252

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:39 am

opticalilyushin wrote:
I think Turkmenistan have thrown in the towel on UK ops, but this is a gigantic blow to BHX. Does Emirates fly to Amritsar?

Nope - but for what it's worth - Air India Express, SpiceJet and IndiGo have direct ATQ-DXB flights.
Vahroone

User001
Topic Author

Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:07 am

Blerg wrote:
For us who don't follow British aviation, what's going on in Birmingham? Have any other routes suspended operations?

Suspension of BHX by AI must come as great news to the MEB3 but also to IndiGo and TK.

At the risk of being lambasted for being anti-BHX, yes, lots of routes and airlines lost over the last 2 years, but, I won’t list them as I’m not really liked by the BHX bunch and can’t be bothered with the bunfight that would ensue.

Olly2185

Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:41 am

At BHX we’ve been told the flights should resume after 31st March. Apparently there is a crew issue due to the extra flight hours to go around Pakistani airspace.
As far as I know, Air India flights to BHX are very rarely empty and are profitable, especially in the upcoming high season.
I’d suggest people don’t read too much into it.

garcan

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:55 am

jmmadrid wrote:

Not surprised, considering EK flies twice daily, QR and TK three times, and EY once daily. And all of them connect to several cities in India.

dtw2hyd

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:11 am

AFAIK DEL-MAD was 3-crew. With the detour, it may need 4-crew, probably not worth. Just a guess.

continental004

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:18 am

DEL-MAD must have had garbage yields for what I imagine were mostly connections. Not many ties between India and Spain. My friend flew AI from MAD to BKK.

Waiting for the MAD cheerleaders to show up and explain this one.

Cunard

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:39 pm

User001 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

At the risk of being lambasted for being anti-BHX, yes, lots of routes and airlines lost over the last 2 years, but, I won’t list them as I’m not really liked by the BHX bunch and can’t be bothered with the bunfight that would ensue.

I'll just add a few airlines that BHX has lost over the last few years but I'll stick to those airlines that flew long haul from BHX.

Air Transat...Toronto
American Airlines...Chicago, New York JFK
Primea...Newark
United Airlines...Newark
Uzbekistan Airlines...Tashkent

And now

Air India...Amritsar, Delhi
Turkmenistan Airways...Ashgabat

Although not long haul we can also add

Icelandair...Reykjavik

Although I'm not too optimistic I hope that Air India does make a return to BHX at some point in the future.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

User001
Topic Author

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:02 pm

Suppose I may as well add to that list. BHX also lost its 3rd daily Emirates flight, and Qatar recently expanded every U.K. and Ireland route except BHX which was rather odd in itself.

This tells me there is either an issue with the market or something with the routes team.

mohitaviator

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:15 pm

If the Pakistani Airspace is still closed for most International Transit flights...then why AI is suspending BHX & MAD flights from Delhi & ATQ...They can operate the same by deploying the specific B787-8 at BOM and operate as
BOM-MAD
BOM-BHX
If the connecting flight to Delhi is concerned the AI flies around 16 flights a day between DEL & BOM...they can use any of the 16 flights for connecting Passengers to Delhi...or they can use BOM for connecting passengers to other destinations...as a hub like it was prior to opening of T3 in Delhi...

DEL-BOM-MAD
DEL-BOM-BHX
ATQ-BOM-BHX
They can utilize the B744 for BOM-DEL & say A321 for BOM-ATQ....

What all are your views...

CaliguyNYC

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:53 pm

mohitaviator wrote:
If the Pakistani Airspace is still closed for most International Transit flights...then why AI is suspending BHX & MAD flights from Delhi & ATQ...They can operate the same by deploying the specific B787-8 at BOM and operate as
BOM-MAD
BOM-BHX
If the connecting flight to Delhi is concerned the AI flies around 16 flights a day between DEL & BOM...they can use any of the 16 flights for connecting Passengers to Delhi...or they can use BOM for connecting passengers to other destinations...as a hub like it was prior to opening of T3 in Delhi...

DEL-BOM-MAD
DEL-BOM-BHX
ATQ-BOM-BHX
They can utilize the B744 for BOM-DEL & say A321 for BOM-ATQ....

What all are your views...

Wouldn't be worth it. No one is going to BOM. Also neither are business routes, and I would imagine ATQ-BHX doesn't even get a decent premium like DEL-BHX would. I actually think it is smart move given the stress on ops the Pax airspace closure must be putting on AI. Also March 15 to April 1 is probably the lowest of low seasons to India (and connections in the region). Best to suspend the routes given crew, detours, added fuel etc.

FlyAmritsar

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:15 pm

Amritsar - Birmingham operating at high traffic as 3x weekly with fares very very high compared to 3x weekly Delhi-Birmingham. Even when pilots strike happened, they pull the trigger mostly on Amritsar flights even when other flights loss was much much higher.

For others asking if Emirates flies to Amritsar, only Qatar has flying rights to fly to Amritsar. All UAE and other middle easter carriers not given flying rights. They are requesting new bilateral agreements with Amritsar included in it but current government did not give any more rights to any of the airlines from the gulf.

behramjee

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:06 pm

Yields for AI on BHX and MAD are quite low and the routes struggle to even cover cash operating costs. If these two routes end up being permanently cancelled, that leaves 1.5 freed up B788s to operate elsewhere. I would suggest then AI to examine the possibility of operating 4wk DEL-MRU-JNB and 4wk DEL-NBO-DAR or 4wk DEL-NBO-LOS.

Once the Pak air space closure gets finished, in EU, AI should examine 4wk DEL-BRU with SN code share to provide feed. For that to happen they need to operate this service dep DEL at 0200-0300 instead of 1300-1400 which is their main DEL-EU departures hub wave bank.

FlyAmritsar

Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:22 pm

Majority of the flights for Air India are in loss. If yo believe that Air India cancels routes with low yields, then all their flights are in loss. Please provide facts before saying that BHX is low yield for Air India. It may be DEL-BHX but ATQ-BHX occupancy and fares are always high since the start of direct flight from Amritsar.

oldannyboy

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:01 pm

User001 wrote:

Yes, it's HUGE news for both Birmingham and Amritsar. Sorry to see this connection to the beautiful city of the amazing Golden Temple disappear....

FlyAmritsar

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:18 pm

ATQ-BHX route is temporarily suspended. It is available for booking from March 31, 2019 onward.

dtw2hyd

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:21 pm

Some of the early 787s should be ready for heavy checks now. Hopefully, they have money and a plan without grounding them longterm.

User001
Topic Author

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:37 pm

FlyAmritsar wrote:
ATQ-BHX route is temporarily suspended. It is available for booking from March 31, 2019 onward.

Airlineroute seems to insinuate it’s been closed off in GDS for the rest of summer, as it states ‘closed reservation from 16th March, previously filed schedule from 31st March:’

The words previously filed insinuate the route has been closed off completely.

BHXRunway15

Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:17 pm

FlyAmritsar wrote:

BHX - DEL is also bookable from 1st April on certain websites and that needs to change quickly if GDS shows that they are not bookable. I just don't see how they can continue until at the very least the services can pass through Pakistani airspace.

These are facts from FR24 going back to January 2019:

AI117 ATQ-BHX shortest flying time 7 hours 56 minutes - longest 11 hours 41 minutes
AI118 BHX-ATQ shortest flying time 7 Hours 5 minutes - Longest flying time 9 hours 16

Maximum extra flying time of 5 hours 56 minutes on a route between two regional airports catering for mainly VFR traffic. I can't beleive that even the best run airlines in world could cater for that change.

AI113 DEL BHX shortest flying time 8 hours 29 minutes - longest 11 hours 13 minutes
AI114 BHX-DEL shortest flying time 7 hours 26 minutes - longest 9 hours 16 minutes

Not as bad but still over 3 hours 30 extra.

Only time will tell if this has been used as a convenient excuse to close the routes permanently but if that is the case I would imagine it will start another political storm. The AI113/4 seemed to be doing fine when it was daily Delhi and it has appeared to have suffered when it was split although load factors have been maintained due to it operating only 6 times a week (3 x DEL & 3 x ATQ) compared to daily?

If it is a permanent loss it is more a minor irritation than major disaster and I would say the same if it was PIA.

The United loss has proved to be a disaster as westbound is now blank beyond TUI charters and after the Primera debacle it is difficult to see how this is going to change. The Emirates morning service was ambitious and eventually resulted in the double daily 615 seat A388 so again a loss but not a major loss in terms of passengers although I am sure the airport and handlers might be of a different opinion but it never came anywhere near filling 360 seats outside of the school holidays let alone 428 when it changed to two class.

3AWM

Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:12 pm

BHX is the only European route out of ATQ.

You only need to look at a map to see why that route would be uniquely and significantly effected by not being able to overfly Pakistan.

airlinermiami

Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:23 pm

Air India is only suspending Madrid service until April ..only for the rest of March due to Pakistan closing air space as it was mentioned here.

BHXflyinghigh

Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:08 pm

BojamDelta

Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:13 pm

EmoticonsAllDay wrote:
Already being discussed in the Indian aviation thread for March 2019.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1416793&p=21180151#p21180151

It’s a genuinely big bit of news hidden in a big thread.
The amount of times I’ve started to read a decent thread then someone chimes in with a link
saying it’s already being discussed in that thread so I click on it and it’s 12+ pages in!!
Some people haven’t got the time to read through Indian, UK, Irish, East African, Jamaican,
Boston, Houston to name a few threads.
If it’s interesting it deserves its own thread instead of being hidden in another.

bo)am

upperdeckfan

Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:08 pm

continental004 wrote:

Waiting for the MAD cheerleaders to show up and explain this one.

Surprised my preferred one hasn't showed up in this thread :lol:

airlinermiami wrote:
Air India is only suspending Madrid service until April ..only for the rest of March due to Pakistan closing air space as it was mentioned here.

Can anyone confirm if DEL-MAD is only suspended due to the India-Pakistan struggle? It seems to be bookable for the summer on several web based engines.
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

BHXflyinghigh

Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:50 am

Air India have resumed DEL-BHX x3 weekly as of today, ATQ will reportedly re-commence at the end of June but given SpiceJet and Indigo have secured slots this summer to operate ATQ-BHX then who knows what will happen. Given neither operate long haul aircraft yet I won’t be holding my breath.

Blerg

Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:20 pm

BHXflyinghigh wrote:
Air India have resumed DEL-BHX x3 weekly as of today, ATQ will reportedly re-commence at the end of June but given SpiceJet and Indigo have secured slots this summer to operate ATQ-BHX then who knows what will happen. Given neither operate long haul aircraft yet I won’t be holding my breath.

That's odd indeed, maybe IndiGo plans to operate these flights with a stop in IST?

Cunard

Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:02 pm

I wouldn't count on either Indigo or SpiceJet starting flights to BHX anytime soon especially considering that they don't have any long haul aircraft and a stop via the likes of Istanbul won't make them very competitive.

Indigo applied for and was granted slots at LGW for summer 2019 but nothing materialised and I should imagine that London would be their priority before starting service to BHX although that's not to say that they won't be serving the airport at some point which I believe they will but they really need to have the right aircraft to be able to fly non stop rather than having an uncompetitive intermediate stop on route.

BHXflyinghigh

Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:41 pm

Blerg wrote:
BHXflyinghigh wrote:

That's odd indeed, maybe IndiGo plans to operate these flights with a stop in IST?

They’ve also secured slots to operate DEL-STN.

Cunard

Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:36 pm

STN would be a great option for Indigo and I think that they would be better suited there than at LGW but do you have a source regarding them securing slots at STN as it's news to me as I've not read it elsewhere.

Cunard

Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:47 pm

BHXflyinghigh wrote:
Blerg wrote:
BHXflyinghigh wrote:

They’ve also secured slots to operate DEL-STN.

I did a search online and read the information regarding your previous comments, I read it on the link provided and it's a very interesting read. http://www.networkthoughts.com.

In the article it does state that any proposed operation by Indigo would be one stop so no change from their initial plans for LGW but in reality they should be looking at a non stop operation when they have the appropriate aircraft.

I think that STN could eventually be the better option for Indigo than LGW.

SpiceJet on ATQ-BHX is interesting and something that I can see materialise, interesting to note that it also states that SpiceJet will probably use a A330.

bhxdtw

Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:01 am

Hi guys

Not wishing to turn this into a pure BHX speculation thread but I am a little concerned what is happening to an airport that seemed to be on an upswing. Ok, not Manchester like, but still an upswing.

TS... why?... with their lower costs I never expected to see a day when BHX would not have a YYZ link from TS.
Maybe they're expecting to restart when they have smaller more efficient aircraft. I understand AC not wanting to previously tie up a 767 or now a 787 which are too big I guess.
Maybe again they can come in with aggressive marketing and fill a 73M a la Bordeaux.
Anyone remember the Royal, Wardair, Worldways, Canada 3000 links? Also BA JFK and YYZ tag ? All gone.

UA?? garbage.. total garbage. We used to have a DC10, 767, double daily 757. Again... why??

Another you missed, US. PHL... pre AA merger. They operated and left after the Uzbek flights had operated and subsequently left that were mentioned. Couldn't have made a 757 work? Why throw on the A333 ??...

Uzbek... low fare, Almost smart plan... VFR, religious traffic to ATQ via TAS, British backpack, low yield traffic to JFK from BHX... they caught passengers both ways. Pre 787 tho, 757/767 used.

I used to work at BHX and remember the individual PK service to Lahore , to Karachi, Islamabad. 742, 743.

We also used to see A320 service to Bishkek.

The runway extension was touted as the main thing that would all of a sudden bring in this influx of long haul traffic... not that I believed it, but...its almost like BHX lost more long haul movements AFTER the extension. Maybe i'm incorrect.

I personally, as a person who grew up watching planes and waving to pilots as a little boy at the green grassy area by the eurohub, wish things were different and for a while in the late nineties the airport seemed to have a plan to grow , with satellite piers etc... but now... everything appears stagnant.

I know the industry, the economy, the downturn in travel post 9/11 etc etc all had its effect, but I ultimately feel the airport has lacked good marketing, good leadership etc.

My 2cents , I apologize for rambling and leaning off topic.

BHXflyinghigh

Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:41 pm

Air Transat had been on borrowed time for a few years before they eventually pulled out, it nearly went a few years before but pressure from Canadian Affair kept it going. I don’t particularly read much into AA ending JFK, they’ve pretty much reduced everything from JFK including MAN so I don’t think is much of a conspiracy going on there. As for United, well read into what you like. They’d gradually been cutting the U.K. regions (BRS, BFS, NCL) so one could argue BHX was next in line. Perhaps it was coincidence both UA and TS pulled out when Primera announced flights from BHX is up for debate. Personally I think it was more of a shock Icelandair went at the same time but with Thomas Cook offering low fares across the pond from MAN I think it’s safe to assume they had an impact as well.

BHX was indeed on the up under the leadership of Paul Kehoe, new airlines and new routes seemed to announced daily at one point. Since he departed it’s all gone backwards, the reasons for which again are up for debate. I think a lot of time BHX is just an unfortunate victim of circumstance such as the recent Turkemenistan and Pakistani airspace issues.

Spiderguy252

Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:12 pm

I saw DEL-BHX on FR24 today, and the 787 originated at ATQ.

Is the service back in this merged form until the end of the Pak closure?
Vahroone

BHXRunway15

Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:39 pm

Spiderguy252 wrote:
I saw DEL-BHX on FR24 today, and the 787 originated at ATQ.

Is the service back in this merged form until the end of the Pak closure?

The service is 50% back to normal - it operated ATQ-DEL-BHX Sunday, Monday and Wednesday and DEL-ATQ-BHX Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday and it has been non-ops on a Friday since mid October.

It is the Sunday, Monday and Wednesday which is running the direct Delhi service and per FR24 they seemed to have shaved off one hour flying time since the reopening but still in excess of 10 hours.

I don't think anyone was surprised that the service was suspended with the increased flying time and it is really pleasing to see it back so soon.

Spiderguy252

Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:13 pm

MAD is back as well.

"Air India is set to resume its thrice-a-week service on the Delhi-Madrid-Delhi sector from April 18, after a brief interlude to cater to the consistent heavy demand from passengers both in Spain and India," the airline said in a statement.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/air-ind ... 18-2023468
Vahroone

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos