beechnut
Posts: 732
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:27 am

Re: What MAX Ban Means For Air Canada TATL

Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:45 am

santi319 wrote:
IWMBH wrote:

Understandable. I wonder if AC's management regrets choosing the MAX over the NEO.

I mean its pretty obvious...


Given the engine problems with the NEO, it isn't quite so obvious to me. The MAX seemed to be beating expectations until the first crash. Hopefully the fix will be effective, it will be put back into service, and will end up being a reliable workhorse for many years. And lessons will be learned.

I do though, expect that the MAX will end up being the final iteration of the 737 series.

Beech
 
User avatar
arvo
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:51 am

Re: What MAX Ban Means For Air Canada TATL

Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:05 am

Philippine747 wrote:
Out of curiosity, why did AC go for the 737MAX when they could've bought the A320neo? There's always B offering a better deal from A, but what other factors made them go for it?


I also believe the crew training as the move up the Mainline fleet was a factor going from 737 -> 787 -> 777 (I could be wrong but I thought I read this in a press release back when they ordered it as well).
 
whywhyzee
Posts: 1002
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:12 am

Re: What MAX Ban Means For Air Canada TATL

Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:08 am

Dominion301 wrote:
matt wrote:
Since all YHZ-LHR (4x weekly now) and YYT-LHR (3x weekly) have been canceled for the time being - and most likely until July - how is AC ensuring that passengers booked on these flights are accomodated on other flights through YUL or YYZ (or perhaps YOW)? I haven't noticed that AC was using larger equipment out of YHZ to YYZ... And when those flights become daily later on in June, will it not pose a challenge is terms of capacity?

I imagine also that AC will delay the start of the YUL-BOD flights, as well as YYZ/YUL-KEF and YYZ-SNN.

Quite the operational nightmare for AC...


KEF could go back to Rouge like during the inaugural season. BOD and SNN will likely be delayed...unless for SNN they temporarily adjust the DUB 330 to make a pit stop at SNN.

As for YHZ and YYT to LHR, rerouting via YUL, YYZ and YOW is the only option as AC have made it clear they don’t have (or won’t lease in) alternative capacity to operate these routes...Doubt they’d want to give UA any of the traffic via EWR either.


I imagine they will try to connect SNN pax via DUB to start, from their flights onto an EI flight. They codeshare with EI already, i don't imagine it will be exceptionally hard.
 
dr1980
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:55 pm

Re: What MAX Ban Means For Air Canada TATL

Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:50 pm

CBC is reporting that Air Canada has posted an update for April/May impacts:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-ca ... -1.5082594

Relevant to this thread: “Flights from Halifax and St. John's to London Heathrow are suspended at least until the end of May, but the airline still plans to offer them after that.”

Now take that with the appropriate grain of salt as I couldn’t find that exact plan on Air Canada’s site directly, but if it is true, what options would they have if the MAX is not back in service? I can’t imagine they would go through recertifying crews to do ETOPS on the A319. Maybe they would use a B763 to serve both YHZ and YYT on a single flight like they used to? This also seems unlikely as those aircraft are likely providing needed capacity elsewhere but perhaps with the summer tourist season gearing up it’s worth diverting one to a YHZ-YYT-LHR route?

Or perhaps once we get to the end of May and there’s still no MAX in service the plan will change and those flights will remain cancelled.
Dave/CYHZ
 
yulexpansion
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:08 pm

Re: What MAX Ban Means For Air Canada TATL

Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:34 pm

dr1980 wrote:
CBC is reporting that Air Canada has posted an update for April/May impacts:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-ca ... -1.5082594

Relevant to this thread: “Flights from Halifax and St. John's to London Heathrow are suspended at least until the end of May, but the airline still plans to offer them after that.”

Now take that with the appropriate grain of salt as I couldn’t find that exact plan on Air Canada’s site directly, but if it is true, what options would they have if the MAX is not back in service? I can’t imagine they would go through recertifying crews to do ETOPS on the A319. Maybe they would use a B763 to serve both YHZ and YYT on a single flight like they used to? This also seems unlikely as those aircraft are likely providing needed capacity elsewhere but perhaps with the summer tourist season gearing up it’s worth diverting one to a YHZ-YYT-LHR route?

Or perhaps once we get to the end of May and there’s still no MAX in service the plan will change and those flights will remain cancelled.


The issue with that is that the ETOPS A319s are now at Rouge... Would be quite fun for LHR spotters though.
 
fraT
Posts: 1074
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:32 am

Re: What MAX Ban Means For Air Canada TATL

Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:11 pm

whywhyzee wrote:

I imagine they will try to connect SNN pax via DUB to start, from their flights onto an EI flight. They codeshare with EI already, i don't imagine it will be exceptionally hard.


Are they really codesharing with EI? AFAIK they allow them on certain itineraries but that's it.

Btw, with LH taking over the FRA-YUL route for the month of May, it gives AC one WB to cover other routes.
 
Vladex
Posts: 272
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:44 pm

Re: What MAX Ban Means For Air Canada TATL

Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:38 pm

beechnut wrote:
santi319 wrote:
IWMBH wrote:

Understandable. I wonder if AC's management regrets choosing the MAX over the NEO.

I mean its pretty obvious...


Given the engine problems with the NEO, it isn't quite so obvious to me. The MAX seemed to be beating expectations until the first crash. Hopefully the fix will be effective, it will be put back into service, and will end up being a reliable workhorse for many years. And lessons will be learned.

I do though, expect that the MAX will end up being the final iteration of the 737 series.

Beech


AC went way out of their way to go for MAX so they will have to live with it and hope it works for them even though there are some fundamental issues with a 50 year old frame that is worse in every way imaginable to the competition. I don't think they have any leeway with Boeing to take back anything as they must have received a lot of goodies to start with.
 
dr1980
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:55 pm

Re: What MAX Ban Means For Air Canada TATL

Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:25 pm

yulexpansion wrote:
The issue with that is that the ETOPS A319s are now at Rouge... Would be quite fun for LHR spotters though.


Right...I knew there was another issue with the A319's but couldn't remember exactly what.
Dave/CYHZ
 
beechnut
Posts: 732
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:27 am

Re: What MAX Ban Means For Air Canada TATL

Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:44 pm

Vladex wrote:
beechnut wrote:
AC went way out of their way to go for MAX so they will have to live with it and hope it works for them even though there are some fundamental issues with a 50 year old frame that is worse in every way imaginable to the competition. I don't think they have any leeway with Boeing to take back anything as they must have received a lot of goodies to start with.


It wouldn't surprise me after this debacle, to see AC drop the MAX 9, which is already deferred, in favour of more A321s (NEO, LR?). They'll probably complete their MAX 8 order, I would expect.

Beech

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos