Boof02671

Re: Will MAX grounding delay AA MD-80 retirements AGAIN?

Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:05 am

It is only effecting 85 flight 1.27% of AA’s total flights, you are all making a way bigger deal out of it. AA is not bringing back any MD 80s.

No pilots to fiy them
Not airworthy
No interiors, parts removed.
Not on the AOC anymore.

I don’t understand the obsession with brining planes back that would cost millions to do so. It’s not feasible.

FredrikHAD

Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:16 am

FltAdmiralRitt wrote:
Looks like the B737 MAX problem comes too late in the MD80 drawdown cycle for any options to be viable.

Does anyone really think a software fix on the B737 is going to satisfy the Public or foreign carriers for that matter.
it doesn't feel like a 10 day situation, it seems like a 18 month recertifying situation.

IF(!) MCAS is at fault, it IS a software problem, so a software fix is what’s needed. I imagine the regulatory bodies would settle for a software fix and pilot training short term and possibly require other actions for the long term, possibly adding more AoA sensors or cross-referencing the two present ones with each other and with the rest of the sensors to determine if the readings of either is realistic or not.

When I say it is a software problem I mean that given an incorrect input from one single sensor (which must be a possible failure mode that is foreseen and possible to handle in a resonable way), the software still commands nose down without notifying the pilots, not considering if it makes sense or not, it just pushes the nose down until you can no longer recover. That’s my definition of a software error.

Again, this is IF MCAS was the culprit.

/Fredrik

wjcandee

Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:41 am

After the Alaska MD80 accident, I remember stories about how jackscrew motors across the fleet were burning out from constant preflight checking by flight crews. True or not, the point was that there wasn't an MD80 pilot that didn't know about the accident and hadn't thought about it.

IF the Ethiopian accident was MCAS, these were apparently the only two pilots (oops, I mean one pilot and 200-hour TT passenger in the right seat) on the entire planet who didn't have MCAS in the forefront of their minds to the extent that they experienced any altitude issues and saw significant and uncommanded stab trim in motion. Hell, even I know how to turn the thing off and when to suspect a malfunction of it.

Moreover, one would think that with a cadet program FO, one would want to keep workload down and thus would be pushing LNAV pretty-quickly upon departure. Of course, I don't know anything about navigation in Ethiopia, but if they have built and entered a flight plan into the flight director, one would think that they'd be into it pretty-quickly.

And if they were operating on any level of autopilot, MCAS is going to be off. Which reminds us that something else may well be at play.

If it is some other 737MAX issue that is unique to this model, Boeing is in big trouble.

usair330

Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:10 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
Delta is bringing back the DC-9.

Killed it.... The good old "When will NW retire the DC9 thread"

Boof02671

Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:38 pm

AA is guesstimating the Max’s back in the air on the 26th.

Per Jon NYC Jon Ostower

FltAdmiralRitt

Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:28 pm

That's very optimistic:

To convince me the fix works, you would have to execute 50 cycles, in varying conditions, in 3 different MAX'es.
WHY?, because automated systems get out of syncronization with each other rather easily and subtly.
If you just run the fixes through simulators, that is not enough.

IF the MAXes Fix turns out to be More involved.....
I suspect that, if AA Still had 100 MD80's , I am sure they would ask the Pilots union for a contingency, to delay
retiring of the MD's and delay training in the MAXes. The other option is pilot furloughs in that hypothetical situation, which would
the union prefer?

Boof02671

Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:59 pm

FltAdmiralRitt wrote:
That's very optimistic:

To convince me the fix works, you would have to execute 50 cycles, in varying conditions, in 3 different MAX'es.
WHY?, because automated systems get out of syncronization with each other rather easily and subtly.

I suspect that, if AA Still had 100 MD80's , I am sure they would ask the Pilots union for a contingency, to delay
retiring of the MD's and delay training in the MAXes. The other option is pilot furloughs in that hypothetical situation, which would
the union prefer?

Give it up, there are no MD80s coming back, the Max ground is only effecting 1.27% of AAs total flights. There are 10 stored at ROS, they are not airworthy nor are their qualified pilots to fly them. Those pilots are in training and/or transitioned to other fleet types.

I don’t get people’s obsession with an outdated plane.

777PHX

Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:07 pm

wjcandee wrote:
IF the Ethiopian accident was MCAS, these were apparently the only two pilots (oops, I mean one pilot and 200-hour TT passenger in the right seat) on the entire planet who didn't have MCAS in the forefront of their minds to the extent that they experienced any altitude issues and saw significant and uncommanded stab trim in motion. Hell, even I know how to turn the thing off and when to suspect a malfunction of it.

I read somewhere where Ethiopian published a statement stating that these pilots in question had gotten supplementary training on MCAS after Lionair.

Phosphorus

Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:49 pm

FltAdmiralRitt wrote:
That's very optimistic:

the union prefer?

The other thread has details regarding the pilots -- after March, AA in-house simulators are not longer valid; so AA has either to invest into simulators, or buy simulator time outside (where?). Absent that, existing pilot pool will be gradually losing currency, as currently planned.

ADS-B cutoff date apparently will be the death knell for MD-80's in the US regardless; unless there is appetite, systemwide, to postpone ADS-B deadlines.
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam

triple3driver

Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:57 pm

oldannyboy wrote:

Indeed, I've already bidded for it
If you can walk away from it intact, it was a good landing!

oldannyboy

Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:17 am

triple3driver wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:

But only the -10... :roll:

JonNYC

Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:39 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
AA is guesstimating the Max’s back in the air on the 26th.

Per Jon NYC Jon Ostower

Hey, just curious-- I tweeted that in AA's system it has this (yes, that **EXTRAORDINARILY** optimistic) "estimated back in service date" of March 26th.

Did Jon Ostower pick that up/ post that as well somewhere? Just curious, thanks!

CO953

Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:07 am

triple3driver wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:

Someone's got to bring the MAX ferry pilots back from VCV........
Yeah, low blow, but sometimes dark humor gets you through....

Lrockeagle

Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:57 am

Boof02671 wrote:
FltAdmiralRitt wrote:
That's very optimistic:

the union prefer?

Give it up, there are no MD80s coming back, the Max ground is only effecting 1.27% of AAs total flights. There are 10 stored at ROS, they are not airworthy nor are their qualified pilots to fly them. Those pilots are in training and/or transitioned to other fleet types.

You’re the kind of people who drove me and many others away from this site years ago.
Lrockeagle
14 years ago

I got $20 says AA takes their 787's with GE powerplants. Just a hunch. Any takers?

Veigar
Topic Author

Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:10 am

Lrockeagle wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
FltAdmiralRitt wrote:
That's very optimistic:

the union prefer?

You’re the kind of people who drove me and many others away from this site years ago.

Just let him be. He goes around ctrl c'ing and ctrl v'ing the same exact post to everyone that asked this question. Also, this thread isn't asking for AA MD-80s that have already been retired to be pulled out of the desert, rather, if the MAX grounding delays the ones that are currently in service to be retired.

Other have addressed the latter point though, so I believe it made for some interesting discussion. It certainly is an awkward time for AA.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos