B787register
Topic Author

Could the MAX grounding be the end of Norwegian?

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:44 pm

Most of us know that Norwegian has been in a somewhat precarious situation for some time.
Now it is using the 787 over the MAX during the grounding could this be the final nail in the coffin as it where?
David C

YIMBY

Re: Could the MAX grounding be the end of Norwegian?

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:04 pm

Unlikely.

A much greater danger looms around the corner

Polot

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:12 pm

Cancelling some of the TATL Max routes might be a blessing for DY for all we know.

PixelPilot

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:13 pm

YIMBY wrote:
Unlikely.

Which is?

wexfordflyer

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:14 pm

YIMBY wrote:
Unlikely.

Care to elaborate?
Come with me, there's a place I want you to see, where the leaves are dark, I've got a hiding place in central park.

MaksFly

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:21 pm

HAHA, cancelling routes may actually be a benefit.

If they are losing money on each flight... they are now not. Furthermore, with the grounding, I am sure they will be happy to get Boeing to pay for the downtime. HAPPY days at Norwegian.

casinterest

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:30 pm

They have 110 737-800 and 18 Max planes. I think they will be fine , if tight, for awhile without the max. They will also probably collect some compensation on ongoing orders from Boeing as they have 92 orders ourstanding.
They also have 20 787s
Where ever you go, there you are.

skystar767

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:31 pm

I know some of you are wishing and hoping DY go under. it’s just sad. I hope they stick around for a long time. This generation now a days is just so negative about everything.

B1168

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:35 pm

Polot wrote:
Cancelling some of the TATL Max routes might be a blessing for DY for all we know.

Would personally consider it exaggerating. If they actually lose money after each flight, DI shouldn’t have started them in the first place.
But well, merging flights into 787s are actually quite wise of them.

Polot

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:46 pm

B1168 wrote:
Polot wrote:

Would personally consider it exaggerating. If they actually lose money after each flight, DI shouldn’t have started them in the first place.

If every flight was profitable, and management making all the correct route decisions, Norwegian wouldn’t be in trouble :spin:

Elementalism

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:49 pm

Not sure about Norwegian but this is probably a wakeup call for airlines to keep diversified on the equipment they fly. Imagine if this happened a decade from now and WN fleet was half MAX? WN may also want to review their risk management for this kind of scenario.

32andBelow

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:13 pm

An airline cutting out 5-15% of their capacity is a revenue planners wet dream

CALMSP

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:16 pm

can see it down the road............DY announces profit due to ground and cancelling of trans-atlantic flights! .........hahah

MIflyer12

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:57 pm

B787register wrote:
Most of us know that Norwegian has been in a somewhat precarious situation for some time.
Now it is using the 787 over the MAX during the grounding could this be the final nail in the coffin as it where?

That certainly will be the argument of the NAS investors suing Boeing if the carrier fails.

enilria

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:04 pm

It’s great how any industry development is an excellent occasion to pronounce doom and gloom on Norwegian. First, Boeing will end up paying for all of this, and if it really does threaten Norwegian, Boeing would be the first to step up with financing for Norwegian which has been a loyal customer. They do not want them going anywhere.

SAS A340

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:06 pm

Boeing will for sure pay the bills for this, or else there backlog for the Max 8 will significant drop....Norwegian has another 100 Max 8 on order,so its wise to keep them "happy" :cloudnine:
It's not what u do,it's how u do it!

PlymSpotter

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:07 pm

The problem for Norwegian is whether this grounding has a residual affect which dissuades the public from flying them or their MAX aircraft in future, even once the issues are fully rectified.

A small drop in network wide load factor would be significantly more damaging to their long term outlook, compared to a few frames being grounded for even several months.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

oldannyboy

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:33 pm

skystar767 wrote:
I know some of you are wishing and hoping DY go under. it’s just sad. I hope they stick around for a long time. This generation now a days is just so negative about everything.

I actually think this group of very vocal, very negative, cantankerous gits poisoning this site must actually be a gang of older folks who are still clinging to the safe old world order and holding on for dear life....

oldannyboy

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:36 pm

PlymSpotter wrote:
The problem for Norwegian is whether this grounding has a residual affect which dissuades the public from flying them or their MAX aircraft in future, even once the issues are fully rectified.

Wouldn't that thinking apply to any other airline flying the MAX, and particularly to those who are planning to use vast fleets of the MAX (cue AA), or almost solely MAX aircrafts (cue WN)??

oldannyboy

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:40 pm

B787register wrote:

Don't hold your breath.

I think the naysayers are still going to have to face a long hard difficult time trying to figure out ways in which to dismiss anything good DY does and foresee doom and gloom and disaster.... :stirthepot:

So much negativity on this forum!

OGLOBAL

Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:36 pm

i dont understand the hate towards Norwegian. they are not that bad ! i mean if it wasn't for them good luck finding a flight to the nordic countries for less than 200 euros ( one way from EU ) do a dummy search ...
their service is not bad way better than ryan air or air france at least you get free wifi

Someone83

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:02 pm

For the moment, the ban is causing some issues, but not that much problems.

March is still in the low season, thus they have some spare capacity. Some flights has been combined and substituted with some spare 787 capacity as they had one or two aircraft in back up due to RR problems. They also shuffled around on their capacity and cancelling selected flight, especially where they have high frequencies. Such cancelling 1 or 2 of their 14x daily OSL-TRD, or other cancellations on other domestic routes where passengers have been rebooked to a later flight

BA777FO

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:03 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
skystar767 wrote:

I actually think this group of very vocal, very negative, cantankerous gits poisoning this site must actually be a gang of older folks who are still clinging to the safe old world order and holding on for dear life....

Or perhaps hoping flags of convenience and terrible staff T&Cs get consigned to the dustbin. It's not a safe old world order to want employees to have a contract in the country from which they operate, which pays a reasonable wage and isn't one big tax dodge.

No problem if they decide to start playing by the rules, but that's their only differential to other airlines, it's unsurprising that alone isn't enough to turn a profit.

NozPerry

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:08 pm

BA777FO wrote:

Or perhaps hoping flags of convenience and terrible staff T&Cs get consigned to the dustbin. It's not a safe old world order to want employees to have a contract in the country from which they operate, which pays a reasonable wage and isn't one big tax dodge.

The crew do have contracts in their base country, and a basic salary relative to the living costs of their home base :)
I love the feel of a Go Around in the morning

planesarecool

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:29 pm

BA777FO wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:
skystar767 wrote:

No problem if they decide to start playing by the rules, but that's their only differential to other airlines, it's unsurprising that alone isn't enough to turn a profit.

I suggest you take up the issue of your dwindling T&Cs with your own bosses, or have they successfully brainwashed you into using the competition provided by Norwegian as a valid excuse to cut your terms?

3000+ type rated pilots out of a job and on the market isn’t good for any of us. Open your eyes.

Interested

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:36 pm

Hope not

I love flying with Norwegian

UPNYGuy

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:00 pm

I was talking about this very thing with my wife last night. Some of the PVD and SWF flying has already been cut. BDL was cut completely a while ago. If these flights are thin margin wise (or loss making, which is possible during the winter), this may be a good thing for DY.

OA940

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:13 pm

skystar767 wrote:

I don't understand what this has to do with anything. I am one of those damn pesky millenials that are destroying everything good the world has. I love DY. They're presenting the opportunity for people to fly between the US and Europe for cheap and they offer free WiFi on all intra-Europe flights (which as we all know is what keeps us youths alive). And ''this generation'' loves travel just as much - if not more - than any previous one so in contrast to what you have to say young people are depending on LCCs (especially ones that do something special like DY with their internet or U2 with their baggage policy) so we're the ones rooting for them. Go ask some older folks who wanna fly in Emirates first class from Leeds to Bilbao if they want to see Norwegian close down though, because in my experience they are the ones who hate on the ''cheap unsafe airlines''. And to close this thing off we're not negative as a generation more than anyone else.

Back on topic, Norwegian has 100 or so 738s that can cover all intra-Europe flights, and as people have said maybe taking a break from the TATL ops won't be so bad for them, as much as many of us want them to continue.
A350/CSeries = bae

fallap

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:17 pm

32andBelow wrote:
An airline cutting out 5-15% of their capacity is a revenue planners wet dream

How come? Granted, my knowledge of operating an airline is marginal, but isn't it bad for an airline to cut capacity ? I realise that Boeing will foot some of the bill, but an airplane on the ground can't bring in the green (or whatever the colour of Norwegian Kroners are) :)
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

Karlsands

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:18 pm

[*]
skystar767 wrote:

Exactly , people need to grab a few beers and focus on more then arguing on a petty ass aviation forum acting like they are changing the world with their aimless opinions. Half of you are just arm chair pilots and the other quarter part are over ego filled pilots, why not just stfu and enjoy life without the insecurity of having to be a douche

kanye

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:21 pm

No i don't think so. They have a lot of frequencies between some Nordic cities and especially in Norway. I saw they cancelled 3 flights between Gothenburg and Stockholm today, however it's 30 departures in total today so probably plenty of seats to rebook, also with other airlines. So i think it will be costly, but not make the whole company go under.

jfk777

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:35 pm

Norwegian is just "crying", they want Boeing to "pay" them since they are loosing $ and have 787 engines problems with Rolls Royce. Norwegian has plenty of 737-800NG and A321 getting delivered. They could lease surplus planes to others airlines.

YIMBY

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:24 pm

wexfordflyer wrote:
YIMBY wrote:
Unlikely.

Care to elaborate?

Not really. Has been discussed ad nauseam here and elsewhere and is the first news in TV before MAX, but I dont't want to start a political fight here.

spinkid

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:53 pm

Another forum said they were subbing the 787 on the DUB-SWF sector for the next few days. I was excited to maybe grab a flight on it since that is my "home" airport.

I just went to their website to book a ticket. SWF-DUB is showing SOLD OUT for all of Mrach and April and when it does return it is priced at over $800 each way. That is very strange indeed. This was a year round route for them.

Shannon and Bergen routes are showing similar availability.
the routes scheduled to end in March are also showing as Sold Out.

Armodeen

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:55 pm

jfk777 wrote:
Norwegian is just "crying", they want Boeing to "pay" them since they are loosing $ and have 787 engines problems with Rolls Royce. Norwegian has plenty of 737-800NG and A321 getting delivered. They could lease surplus planes to others airlines.

They have reason to 'cry'. They staked a lot on going for brand new aircraft and it hasn't yet paid off.

787 delays
787 groundings
787 engine problems
max grounding

They have reason to feel aggrieved, don't you think?

IADCA

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:57 pm

YIMBY wrote:
wexfordflyer wrote:
YIMBY wrote:
Unlikely.

Care to elaborate?

Not really. Has been discussed ad nauseam here and elsewhere and is the first news in TV before MAX, but I dont't want to start a political fight here.

Let's try it in the most neutral manner possible: "Norwegian, despite the name, has significant operations in the UK and thus faces substantial Brexit-related uncertainty."

spinkid

Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:03 pm

spinkid wrote:
Another forum said they were subbing the 787 on the DUB-SWF sector for the next few days. I was excited to maybe grab a flight on it since that is my "home" airport.

I just went to their website to book a ticket. SWF-DUB is showing SOLD OUT for all of Mrach and April and when it does return it is priced at over $800 each way. That is very strange indeed. This was a year round route for them.

I did some more research on this. Apparently they are Busing customers from PVD to SWF and sending them on one 787 across the pond.
I can tell you as a resident of this area. That is NOT fun or convenient. That is at least a 3 hour drive by car.

https://media.us.norwegian.com/pressrel ... in-2847251

Mortyman

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:06 pm

IADCA wrote:
YIMBY wrote:
wexfordflyer wrote:

Care to elaborate?

Let's try it in the most neutral manner possible: "Norwegian, despite the name, has significant operations in the UK and thus faces substantial Brexit-related uncertainty."

Wich they have done everything to prepare for. Besides, Norwegian will hardly be the only airline with this uncertainty.

IADCA

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:16 pm

Mortyman wrote:
IADCA wrote:
YIMBY wrote:

Wich they have done everything to prepare for. Besides, Norwegian will hardly be the only airline with this uncertainty.

I was just trying to clear up the subtext for a confused member asking about it, not to start a discussion on it.

outbackair

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:52 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
skystar767 wrote:

Always amuses me how 'older folk' obviously know nothing and the wise, younger people don't think they will ever age themselves.

winginit

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:17 pm

oldannyboy wrote:

oldannyboy wrote:
B787register wrote:

Don't hold your breath.

I think the naysayers are still going to have to face a long hard difficult time trying to figure out ways in which to dismiss anything good DY does and foresee doom and gloom and disaster.... :stirthepot:

These 'waaah you guys are so negative when it comes to DY you wan't them to fail!" whiny arguments are so tired at this point. Pull up a financial statement or look at the share price (it's 6.39 USD by the way, down from 38.20 USD in April of 2018) and tell me with a straight face that DY is in anything but genuinely dire financial straits.

Will the MAX groundings accelerate the inevitable end of Norwegian long-haul? No, but I'd love for one of the handful of users who are for whatever reason so emotionally attached to Norwegian and their failing business model to state outright here that they'd bet money on Norwegian still operating long-haul international flights in three years time. I'll bet their US routes will be cut in half if not more by the end of next year.

Those of us, myself included, who are being accused of hating on Norwegian because we're for whatever reason partial to the legacy world order are simply pointing out objective financial truths about the very questionable viability of the carrier on account of their rubbish business model that's floundering right in front of all of our eyes. It's irrelevant if objective facts are perceived by others as 'negative'.

Not at all surprising that, in their financial desperation, Norwegian were the first to demand compensation from Boeing for the MAX groundings as their costs continue to pile up

uconn99

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:33 pm

spinkid wrote:
spinkid wrote:

I did some more research on this. Apparently they are Busing customers from PVD to SWF and sending them on one 787 across the pond.
I can tell you as a resident of this area. That is NOT fun or convenient. That is at least a 3 hour drive by car.

If this is true, that is terrible. I would think accommodation on another airline from PVD with a connection or busing them up to BOS for a non stop flight would be a lot better for the passengers who can't cancel their trip.

bluefltspecial

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:59 pm

winginit wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:

oldannyboy wrote:
B787register wrote:

Don't hold your breath.

Will the MAX groundings accelerate the inevitable end of Norwegian long-haul? No, but I'd love for one of the handful of users who are for whatever reason so emotionally attached to Norwegian and their failing business model to state outright here that they'd bet money on Norwegian still operating long-haul international flights in three years time. I'll bet their US routes will be cut in half if not more by the end of next year.

I'll take that bet.

I'm not emotionally attached to Norwegian, but I like what they have done. They have certainly shaken up the operations for carriers operating across the Atlantic that have long held a monopoly there. Remember when legacy airlines rules Transcon US flying, and then this little no-name, lovey-dovey, happy go lucky, new airline came in, and started operating Transcon US market flying, and everyone said, "they'll go under, they'll never make it, they are in financial trouble, they won't make their payments, you can't compete with legacy airlines on those routes, no one will fly them, they're doomed..." Well, JetBlue is doing pretty good today, and I see Norwegian doing the same. Norwegian, like JetBlue and Spirit in their history, is trying to find their place in the industry, and they're doing just that. It won't happen overnight, Norwegian took on a LOT of ideas, programs, and aircraft, now they are trimming themselves into the carrier they want to be, and finding what works for the current market.

In terms of Norwegian, I can tell what you and everyone else already knows. They've already announced the discontinuation of some unprofitable 737 Max Routes operating Transoceanic. They've also pulled unprofitable 787 routes. They continue to receive 787s another 4-5 this year.

As to your bet; Cut their routes in half? No.
Maintain routes and increase frequency on profitable routes, and adjust frequency for seasonal operations: yes.
Just like every other airline.

As I have said over and over again, "the only constant in the airline industry, is change..."
Save a horse, ride a Fly-boy....

multimark

Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:06 am

OA940 wrote:
skystar767 wrote:

I don't understand what this has to do with anything. I am one of those damn pesky millenials that are destroying everything good the world has. I love DY. They're presenting the opportunity for people to fly between the US and Europe for cheap and they offer free WiFi on all intra-Europe flights (which as we all know is what keeps us youths alive). And ''this generation'' loves travel just as much - if not more - than any previous one so in contrast to what you have to say young people are depending on LCCs (especially ones that do something special like DY with their internet or U2 with their baggage policy) so we're the ones rooting for them. Go ask some older folks who wanna fly in Emirates first class from Leeds to Bilbao if they want to see Norwegian close down though, because in my experience they are the ones who hate on the ''cheap unsafe airlines''. And to close this thing off we're not negative as a generation more than anyone else...

Why is that a good thing? Unchecked mass tourism is literally ruining many of the world's nicest destinations.

FlyingElvii

Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:15 am

MaksFly wrote:
HAHA, cancelling routes may actually be a benefit.

If they are losing money on each flight... they are now not. Furthermore, with the grounding, I am sure they will be happy to get Boeing to pay for the downtime. HAPPY days at Norwegian.

My thought exactly, Boeing will have to make up for the lost revenues, by choice, or by lawsuit, but either way, they will end up with the bill.

FlyingElvii

Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:24 am

spinkid wrote:
spinkid wrote:

Why would they not whistle stop into PVD?

Cointrin330

Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:17 am

The problem with Norwegian is neither their service nor their operations. The business model is a joke and that will be what ultimately causes them to go under, if that does indeed happen. The model is illogical, the company lives on heaps of borrowed cash, and despite having some plum routes, remains a largely leisure carrier and heavily exposed to seasonal demand drops that it cannot compensate for elsewhere in the system.

bhxalex

Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:20 am

It's definitely a nail in the coffin, but the final one? Perhaps not. Hopefully this gives them a chance to cull the worst performing routes. That's the silver lining I can see, but it's disruptive and nasty for passengers.

rbavfan

Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:30 am

BA777FO wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:
skystar767 wrote:

No problem if they decide to start playing by the rules, but that's their only differential to other airlines, it's unsurprising that alone isn't enough to turn a profit.[/quote

They are the Uber of airlines.

slcdeltarumd11

Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:51 am

People really want Norweigan to die on here! LOL

Reality is 787 issues now MAX issues this is not ideal. I do think this will hurt them , but I don't think it will take them down.

This must be really hard for them logistically. Even their SWF buses for NYC are guaranteed links now that timing will all be off , what a mess.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos