Boof02671
Posts: 1626
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:15 am

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:20 am

They wrote off $592 million in 2016.
 
STLflyer
Posts: 236
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:08 am

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:23 am

MAH4546 wrote:
Elementalism wrote:
Im shocked they were still flying there. It makes sense to suspend with the deteriorating situation within the country to not put your people in that situation.


Dangers aside, it’s insanely profitable. Money printing machine.


How was it so profitable? It’s not like people are flocking to Venezuela for vacation.
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 2188
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:37 am

Boof02671 wrote:
If it was printing money why were there only two flights a day?

3 flights a day. 2 X CCS and 1X MAR.

If you put more flights on, you either dilute average yield, ruin the load factor, or both.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12491
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:47 am

STLflyer wrote:
How was it so profitable? It’s not like people are flocking to Venezuela for vacation.

Supply . . . demand.

Be one of the few remaining carriers in a market for which there is still essential traffic, and you can charge whatever you want.

It's not uncommon for the lowest Y fare, booked a month in advance, for a nonstop MIA-CCS on AA to still be $2,300USD+
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
OGLOBAL
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:29 pm

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:27 am

LAX772LR wrote:
STLflyer wrote:
How was it so profitable? It’s not like people are flocking to Venezuela for vacation.

Supply . . . demand.

Be one of the few remaining carriers in a market for which there is still essential traffic, and you can charge whatever you want.

It's not uncommon for the lowest Y fare, booked a month in advance, for a nonstop MIA-CCS on AA to still be $2,300USD+



thats not true !! and i am sick of everyone claiming that . just do a dummy search i just did one : ccs mia round trip 421 use with a stop in pty
non stop 472 usd !!
 
OGLOBAL
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:29 pm

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:30 am

CCS CDG NON STOP 1100 USD roundtrip
CCS CDG/MAD VIA LIS 786 USD roundtrip
 
ltbewr
Posts: 14318
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:41 am

There are times when financial and physical risks of operations exceed the opportunity of profits and flights are discontinued or suspended. AA's executives and likely with the advice of the lawyers believe that it isn't in the best interest of the airline to currently fly to/from Venezuela due to the risks. Those risks include a current government leadership hostile to the USA, physical risks of the crew, possible seizure of aircraft, a collapsing economy and general civil unrest. With only a few flights anyway to/from Venezuela, the aircraft and crews can be easily reassigned to other routes with far less risks and improve service on other profitable routes or help cover routes affected by the 737MAX suspension at their airline.
 
klwright69
Posts: 2689
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2000 4:22 am

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:08 pm

If AA were making so much money they wouldn't have stopped period. You know it must be bad now. UA was flying empty planes to CCS at the end before they stopped. The few people going couldn't justify it. Even the airport is considered dangerous let alone outside in town at this point.
 
User avatar
LTU932
Posts: 13638
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:34 am

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:18 pm

klwright69 wrote:
If AA were making so much money they wouldn't have stopped period. You know it must be bad now. UA was flying empty planes to CCS at the end before they stopped. The few people going couldn't justify it. Even the airport is considered dangerous let alone outside in town at this point.
Many airlines had to write off income made from flights to Venezuela because the Venezuelan government has major restrictions on hard currency exchange IIRC. AA was very heavily affected by that because they couldn't repatriate payments made in Venezuelan Bolívares into US Dollars, or had a very hard time doing so. Wasn't that why they started to only accept foreign credit cards for booking in the first place?.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208
 
Gulfstream500
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:30 am

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:21 pm

Coincidentally, AA was supposed to begin using MAX8s on the route in early May. (Which probably won’t happen if the service is resumed, as the deliveries will likely be late)
Thinking of a good signature is hard...
 
Boof02671
Posts: 1626
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:15 am

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:31 pm

klwright69 wrote:
If AA were making so much money they wouldn't have stopped period. You know it must be bad now. UA was flying empty planes to CCS at the end before they stopped. The few people going couldn't justify it. Even the airport is considered dangerous let alone outside in town at this point.

The Pilots and Flight Attendants refused to fly the route.

It had nothing to do with economics.

So tell me how was the plane going to fly?
Last edited by Boof02671 on Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
Boof02671
Posts: 1626
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:15 am

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:32 pm

LTU932 wrote:
klwright69 wrote:
If AA were making so much money they wouldn't have stopped period. You know it must be bad now. UA was flying empty planes to CCS at the end before they stopped. The few people going couldn't justify it. Even the airport is considered dangerous let alone outside in town at this point.
Many airlines had to write off income made from flights to Venezuela because the Venezuelan government has major restrictions on hard currency exchange IIRC. AA was very heavily affected by that because they couldn't repatriate payments made in Venezuelan Bolívares into US Dollars, or had a very hard time doing so. Wasn't that why they started to only accept foreign credit cards for booking in the first place?.

AA lost(wrote off) $592 million in 2016.
 
User avatar
LTU932
Posts: 13638
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:34 am

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:36 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
The Pilots and Flight Attendants refused to fly the route.

It had nothing to do with economics.

So tell me how was the plane going to fly?
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the reason AA was sticking around the very fact that if they pulled out completely, the Venezuelan authorities would outright revoke their permission to operate into Venezuela altogether? I recall something on that and it was for ALL airlines, not just US Airlines. Therefore, wouldn't this mean that apart from safety concerns and a little of the economics factor, AA is completely done with Venezuela as long as the current regime is around?

Again, correct me if I am wrong.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12491
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:55 pm

OGLOBAL wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
It's not uncommon for the lowest Y fare, booked a month in advance, for a nonstop MIA-CCS on AA to still be $2,300USD+

thats not true !! and i am sick of everyone claiming that . just do a dummy search i just did one : ccs mia round trip 421 use with a stop in pty
non stop 472 usd !!

Can you share with us where and at what dates you're seeing 472 USD for a nonstop MIA-CCS on AA within the next 4 weeks?

Because I just checked 3 different portals and couldn't find a single one less than $2100 prior to April 27.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
OB1504
Posts: 3680
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:10 am

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:39 pm

OGLOBAL wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
STLflyer wrote:
How was it so profitable? It’s not like people are flocking to Venezuela for vacation.

Supply . . . demand.

Be one of the few remaining carriers in a market for which there is still essential traffic, and you can charge whatever you want.

It's not uncommon for the lowest Y fare, booked a month in advance, for a nonstop MIA-CCS on AA to still be $2,300USD+



thats not true !! and i am sick of everyone claiming that . just do a dummy search i just did one : ccs mia round trip 421 use with a stop in pty
non stop 472 usd !!


The nonstop flight is on a Venezuelan carrier (operated by Eastern, Swift Air, or World Atlantic) now that there are no US airlines left on the route.

Of course the connection is going to be cheaper.

Also, if you’re searching CCS-MIA roundtrip (originating and returning in Venezuela) instead of MIA-CCS, that’s another big part of it.
 
dcajet
Posts: 4115
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:42 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
If it was printing money why were there only two flights a day?


While I have nothing more than anecdotal proof about the profitability of AA's operations in Venezuela, for the sake of argument, if the airline would have increased capacity there, it would have shot itself in the foot by making more of a highly sought after commodity available, and thus reducing its ability to charge premium pricing on the route.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"
 
Tenaja85
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:57 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
OGLOBAL wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
It's not uncommon for the lowest Y fare, booked a month in advance, for a nonstop MIA-CCS on AA to still be $2,300USD+

thats not true !! and i am sick of everyone claiming that . just do a dummy search i just did one : ccs mia round trip 421 use with a stop in pty
non stop 472 usd !!

Can you share with us where and at what dates you're seeing 472 USD for a nonstop MIA-CCS on AA within the next 4 weeks?

Because I just checked 3 different portals and couldn't find a single one less than $2100 prior to April 27.


I was able to find a nonstop MIA-CCS April 10-April 24 for $530 using Kayak ($393 with a connection).
 
OGLOBAL
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:29 pm

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:18 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
OGLOBAL wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
It's not uncommon for the lowest Y fare, booked a month in advance, for a nonstop MIA-CCS on AA to still be $2,300USD+

thats not true !! and i am sick of everyone claiming that . just do a dummy search i just did one : ccs mia round trip 421 use with a stop in pty
non stop 472 usd !!

Can you share with us where and at what dates you're seeing 472 USD for a nonstop MIA-CCS on AA within the next 4 weeks?

Because I just checked 3 different portals and couldn't find a single one less than $2100 prior to April 27.


Avior 460 USD April 5 April 19 NON STOP
COPA 429 USD April 5 April 19 stop in pty

i use kayak and google flights . i only use kayak and google flights as a search platform . Kayak most of the times charges you extra for using credit or debit cards. so i buy directly from the airline online for the same price published on kayak .
 
MAH4546
Posts: 25751
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2001 1:44 pm

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:00 pm

STLflyer wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
Elementalism wrote:
Im shocked they were still flying there. It makes sense to suspend with the deteriorating situation within the country to not put your people in that situation.


Dangers aside, it’s insanely profitable. Money printing machine.


How was it so profitable? It’s not like people are flocking to Venezuela for vacation.


Because life goes on and Venezuelans continue to need to travel between Miami and Venezuela. Miami is now home to something like 500,000+ Venezuelans who have escaped. The local market remains huge at over 1,000 PDEW. Miami-Caracas is one of the most travelled international routes to/from the United States. The worsening conditions in Venezuela have only spurred demand, not suppressed it.
a.
 
pezzy669
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:30 pm

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:30 am

dcajet wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
They used to fly JFK CCS too


That one has been gone for quite a while now. 2014? 2015?



I think they cancelled the daily SJU-CCS around the same time - think that one was 757-200 to the end.
 
cdin844
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:21 pm

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:52 am

Boof02671 wrote:
Big difference an assault means a physical fight, which there wasn’t, it was shots fired.

This isn’t really important but an assault doesn’t necessarily mean a physical fight.
 
Boof02671
Posts: 1626
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:15 am

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:55 am

as·sault
/əˈsôlt/Submit
Learn to pronounce
verb
1.
make a physical attack on.
"he pleaded guilty to assaulting a police officer"
synonyms: hit, strike, physically attack, aim blows at, slap, smack, beat, thrash, spank, thump, thwack, punch, cuff, swat, knock, rap; More
noun
1.
a physical attack.
"his imprisonment for an assault on the film director"
synonyms: (physical) violence, battery, mugging, actual bodily harm,
 
cdin844
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:21 pm

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:10 am

The dictionary definition of assault is not what courts use so it really doesn’t mean much. In most states, assault begins at just the threat of bodily harm, which certainly gunfire would be. Here’s a good legal analysis if you are interested: https://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/ ... sault.html
 
User avatar
spinkid
Posts: 1874
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2001 5:59 am

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:35 am

Boof02671 wrote:
If it was printing money why were there only two flights a day?


Its not so much the demand that was making it print money. There were changes in volume to be sure, but nobody is offering any discount fares to Venezuela. They only people flying to/from absolutely MUST travel there for whatever reason. You don't need to offer any incentives to fill seats.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12491
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:12 am

OGLOBAL wrote:
Avior 460 USD April 5 April 19 NON STOP
COPA 429 USD April 5 April 19 stop in pty .

You might want to review Reply#64.

As if the giant and ensuing underlined text weren't enough of a clue, what does either of those have to do with a nonstop on AA??
...which is what you were asked, and also the statement that you (strangely) reacted to.

Again, the issue posed was why were these flights profitable for AA. The answer is because AA routinely charges $2K+ for Y, even a month in advance.
The presence of cheaper options on other/connecting carriers, does not refute that.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
OGLOBAL
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:29 pm

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:50 am

LAX772LR wrote:
OGLOBAL wrote:
Avior 460 USD April 5 April 19 NON STOP
COPA 429 USD April 5 April 19 stop in pty .

You might want to review Reply#64.

As if the giant and ensuing underlined text weren't enough of a clue, what does either of those have to do with a nonstop on AA??
...which is what you were asked, and also the statement that you (strangely) reacted to.

Again, the issue posed was why were these flights profitable for AA. The answer is because AA routinely charges $2K+ for Y, even a month in advance.
The presence of cheaper options on other/connecting carriers, does not refute that.



you might want to read the topic description and headline AA NO LONGER FLIES TO CCS suspended immediately !
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12491
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:54 am

OGLOBAL wrote:
you might want to read the topic description

You might want to read the question actually posed (that you shriekingly replied to), which is why was it profitable for them.

No amount of obfuscation by your inability to demonstrate otherwise, changes that. ;)



OGLOBAL wrote:
AA NO LONGER FLIES TO CCS suspended immediately !

What, are you assuming that that's due to lack of operational profit? That may be yet another poor assumption on your part....

Several reasons have been put forth as to why this decision might be being made at this time, and they've yet to officially clarify/identify which of them proves prescient.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
OGLOBAL
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:29 pm

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:52 am

LAX772LR wrote:
OGLOBAL wrote:
you might want to read the topic description

You might want to read the question actually posed (that you shriekingly replied to), which is why was it profitable for them.

No amount of obfuscation by your inability to demonstrate otherwise, changes that. ;)



OGLOBAL wrote:
AA NO LONGER FLIES TO CCS suspended immediately !

What, are you assuming that that's due to lack of operational profit? That may be yet another poor assumption on your part....

Several reasons have been put forth as to why this decision might be being made at this time, and they've yet to officially clarify/identify which of them proves prescient.


i never assumed that . it's obvious that it was suspended for safety reasons. now was it a gold mine ? absolutely not. was it profitable of course otherwise it wouldn't last that long. My only issue is claiming all flights to ccs were gold mine and that prices were extremely high because that's not true just do a dummy search to any city in europe to ccs or from miami and you will realize it.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12491
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:12 am

OGLOBAL wrote:
My only issue is claiming all flights to ccs were gold mine

Um, can you show us where anyone on this thread said anything about "all flights"....?

Because that didn't happen. At all.

In fact, it was a statement about (1) nonstops, on (2) a single route, referencing (3) a specific carrier.
Nobody said anything about prices from Europe, or prices via connections, or pricing of competing carriers on that same route.

You're not being very intellectually honest here dude. There's only three posts prior to your rant, it's not that hard to review.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
Boof02671
Posts: 1626
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:15 am

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:17 am

I really don’t get how posters says” it prints money” or “it’s a gold mine” yet they post no facts or data to substantiate their statements.

Opinions aren’t facts. Airlines do operate routes that aren’t profitable at times and remember, full planes dont mean profits.
 
Lufthansa
Posts: 2593
Joined: Thu May 20, 1999 6:04 am

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:07 am

What about a triangle flight? I know BA has done this in parts of Africa it was worried to prevent the crew overnighting anywhere deemed too risky?
These flights probably have some demand from outside Venezuela still, but considering people are now down to sourcing water in CCS from sewage outfalls
I suspect these flights would be technically difficult. Extra security for sure, most likely carried onboard with you and perhaps maintenance too. Plus the diversion point needs to have reliable sources of hotels, so some of those island may not work that well in high season
 
jmmadrid
Posts: 342
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:00 pm

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:14 am

Lufthansa wrote:
What about a triangle flight? I know BA has done this in parts of Africa it was worried to prevent the crew overnighting anywhere deemed too risky?
These flights probably have some demand from outside Venezuela still, but considering people are now down to sourcing water in CCS from sewage outfalls
I suspect these flights would be technically difficult. Extra security for sure, most likely carried onboard with you and perhaps maintenance too. Plus the diversion point needs to have reliable sources of hotels, so some of those island may not work that well in high season


UNITED tried something similar towards the end of their service, IAH-CCS-AUA-IAH, changing crews in AUA.

In this case, there's no need for a triangular flight because MIA-CCS-MIA is short enough to be done by the same crew without any layover.

The real problem is that crews are so scared and worried they don't want to go anywhere near CCS . They don't want to land there. End of.
 
bourbon
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:35 pm

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:55 am

AA was there to support the state department. With the embassy closed no more lift required and with the looks of it, once Maduro is gone, they won’t be penalized for suspending service.
 
Boof02671
Posts: 1626
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:15 am

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:38 pm

bourbon wrote:
AA was there to support the state department. With the embassy closed no more lift required and with the looks of it, once Maduro is gone, they won’t be penalized for suspending service.

Really? Care to provide facts for that?

AA didn’t fly to CCS to support the embassy, the premise they did is ridiculous. The State Department normally organizes charters for embassy staff mass movement.
 
JonNYC
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:26 pm

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:31 pm

bourbon wrote:
AA was there to support the state department. With the embassy closed no more lift required..

Nonsense.
 
User avatar
SheikhDjibouti
Posts: 1766
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:24 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
Big difference an assault means a physical fight, which there wasn’t, it was shots fired.

Are you describing the local definition where you live, or how it applies in the rest of the world?

Wikipedia wrote:
Traditionally, common law legal systems had separate definitions for assault and battery. When this distinction is observed, battery refers to the actual bodily contact, whereas assault refers to a credible threat or attempt to cause battery.

In the United States, assault may be defined as an attempt to commit a battery. However, the crime of assault can encompass acts in which no battery is intended, but the defendant's act nonetheless creates reasonable fear in others that a battery will occur.

New York and North Dakota require an actual injury.
Tennessee and Kansas do not.

I'm not certain why you chose to nitpick, but the golden rule is to make sure you've got your facts right first.
This event happened in Venezuela where the word would be asalto
A.net features contributions from around the world where "assault" might have it's own local definition, however we should all be prepared to look beyond that unless there is specific justification for being so parochial.

Then of course there was your further post on the subject;
Boof02671 wrote:
as·sault (/əˈsôlt/S)
verb
1. make a physical attack on.
"he pleaded guilty to assaulting a police officer"
synonyms: hit, strike, physically attack, aim blows at,

"aim blows at"? I guess you missed that.
Nothing to see here; move along please.
 
Boof02671
Posts: 1626
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:15 am

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:29 pm

Wikipedia is not a credible source.
 
Boof02671
Posts: 1626
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:15 am

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:30 pm

The Air Europa crew were in a van and they were fired upon from another vehicle.
 
OGLOBAL
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:29 pm

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:52 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
OGLOBAL wrote:
My only issue is claiming all flights to ccs were gold mine

Um, can you show us where anyone on this thread said anything about "all flights"....?

Because that didn't happen. At all.

In fact, it was a statement about (1) nonstops, on (2) a single route, referencing (3) a specific carrier.
Nobody said anything about prices from Europe, or prices via connections, or pricing of competing carriers on that same route.

You're not being very intellectually honest here dude. There's only three posts prior to your rant, it's not that hard to review.


check every post related to CCS and it's always the same reactions same posts . like i get it we all love our home countries but let's be realistic it's not directed to you specifically so no need to take it personal . you replied to a post that flights were 2000 i responded no you can find for 500 or less . then you said i meant AA when this whole post is about AA NO LONGER FLYING TO CCS . Am i clear enough now ?
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12491
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:09 am

OGLOBAL wrote:
you replied to a post that flights were 2000 i responded no you can find for 500 or less . then you said i meant AA

Once again, you're dishonestly mischaracterizing what was said, in order to avoid admitting that you made a careless mistake.

The original post (Reply #54) VERY SPECIFICALLY mentioned a nonstop on AA, from the start. There was no "then you said."


OGLOBAL wrote:
Am i clear enough now ?

No, you're not at all clear as to why you can't seem to grasp that what you're referencing was not a statement of the market at large, but a statement about the pricing capability of a single airline on a single route.... one which I'll point out, still remains accurate. AA is charging well into the $2000s for standard Y tickets for the duration of this month and the next---- as mentioned.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
MAH4546
Posts: 25751
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2001 1:44 pm

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:16 am

OGLOBAL wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
OGLOBAL wrote:
Avior 460 USD April 5 April 19 NON STOP
COPA 429 USD April 5 April 19 stop in pty .

You might want to review Reply#64.

As if the giant and ensuing underlined text weren't enough of a clue, what does either of those have to do with a nonstop on AA??
...which is what you were asked, and also the statement that you (strangely) reacted to.

Again, the issue posed was why were these flights profitable for AA. The answer is because AA routinely charges $2K+ for Y, even a month in advance.
The presence of cheaper options on other/connecting carriers, does not refute that.



you might want to read the topic description and headline AA NO LONGER FLIES TO CCS suspended immediately !


AA continues to service Venezuela. It is temporarily suspended, with a resumption date, as of now, of March 29th.
a.
 
Boof02671
Posts: 1626
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:15 am

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:09 am

MAH4546 wrote:
OGLOBAL wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
You might want to review Reply#64.

As if the giant and ensuing underlined text weren't enough of a clue, what does either of those have to do with a nonstop on AA??
...which is what you were asked, and also the statement that you (strangely) reacted to.

Again, the issue posed was why were these flights profitable for AA. The answer is because AA routinely charges $2K+ for Y, even a month in advance.
The presence of cheaper options on other/connecting carriers, does not refute that.



you might want to read the topic description and headline AA NO LONGER FLIES TO CCS suspended immediately !


AA continues to service Venezuela. It is temporarily suspended, with a resumption date, as of now, of March 29th.

Pilots haven’t come out and said they would resume flying. Unless Civil Unrest and lack of security changes, those flights will not resume.
 
dcajet
Posts: 4115
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:18 am

Another thread was just locked, and the news it contained did not make it to this one. Today's development is that AA will not resume flights to Venezuela as it was planned on April 1st. All flights to Venezuela are suspended indefinitely. The airline says it will try to resume flying there when conditions are right.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... 304615002/

Good luck to the AA staff in Venezuela.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"
 
User avatar
kitplane01
Posts: 1350
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:58 am

Re: American suspends service to Venezuela

Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:26 am

Antarius wrote:
klakzky123 wrote:
Regardless of politics, if the US government is pulling all diplomats out of Venezuela out of concern for their safety, it would make little sense for AA to operate to Caracas even if they aren't keeping crews there overnight. At some point, its just not worth the risk to the crew safety.


The crews do not overnight. They could potentially continue with a volunteer system- hazard pay bonus for anyone who wants to go. AA is making a fortune on those flights.


I'm not a lawyer, but I thought explicitly paying people more money to accept risk-of-life was illegal in the US.

I understand that part of fisherman pay is that fishing is dangerous, but I don't think it's legal to pay people extra to work in a less safe boat. I also understand the metaphor is imperfect, but I hope you get the idea.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos