alancostello

Re: Updated: British Airways release new ClubWorld seat

Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:39 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
Cannot seem to find a number of posts on here I made for what ever reason and for that reason a reply i guess cannot be made...

But all the same, did we conform this NEW seat is NOT going on the A380?

If so, is this indicative of anything regarding the A380 and British Airways?

Trying to be gentle here cause peoples feelings seem to be very sensitive regarding this wonderful double-decker airplane.

Haven’t ridden it yet but hear it is supremely quiet which is something I value!

If they were to reconfigure the A380 for the new seat I'd imagine they'd have to move the cabins around, it doesn't look like this seat would fit on the upper deck. While a separate product, but similar enough, Qatar have said that even the 787 is too narrow for the QSuite product fitted on the 777/A350s and it will require a slimmed down version of the QSuite, I can't imagine BA offering a full fat and skim version of the new Club World seat on the same plane (if they are to do it on the A380 at all).

They have said they'll be unveiling a new First product, which I can only imagine would have to be something similar to Emirates new 777 First/a 1-1-1 layout to really differentiate itself from the Club Suite, so it's possible the new F could be upstairs in the forward cabin, in which case J could take up the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd cabins downstairs, with Y in the rear cabin as it is now, F in the 1st cabin upstairs, and then W in the 2nd, with Y in the remaining rear cabins upstairs.

We know that BA likes a hi-J/comparatively low Y plane, so an A380 in that configuration could be quite interesting! Or they could just retire them, who knows.

747fly

Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:51 pm

Alex Cruz has confirmed the A380 WILL be getting the new seat, so don’t get too excited about its demise just yet....

george77300

Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:49 pm

Cunard wrote:
Even Qatar have stated that they intend on keeping their A380's.

They definitely haven't and quite the opposite. These are going to be the youngest retirements of A380s. At 10 years being retired. Qatar's are 2014-2018 builds and all going 2024-2028.

Arion640

Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:52 pm

747fly wrote:
Alex Cruz has confirmed the A380 WILL be getting the new seat, so don’t get too excited about its demise just yet....

Don’t doubt you for a second, but when did he says this?
Lets get Brexit done.

Cunard

Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:24 pm

george77300 wrote:
Cunard wrote:

They definitely haven't and quite the opposite. These are going to be the youngest retirements of A380s. At 10 years being retired. Qatar's are 2014-2018 builds and all going 2024-2028.

I can't link it now as I'm using my phone but a quote from an article by Al Baker on ch-aviation.com dated 19 March 2019. (Yesterday).

Unless you can add a substantiated link to state otherwise!

Here is the quote,

''Qatar Airways also have no plans to phase out 10 A380-800s despite the Airbus decision to end the production of the type in 2021''

His words not mine although realistically time wise I would imagine that 2028 seems an appropriate guess for their retirement but anything can happen before then.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

Bongodog49

Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:50 pm

Totally unscientific, but a quick look on Seat Guru shows that a Qatar 787-8 has 20 Super Diamond seats between doors 1 & 2 , BA 787-8's currently have 21 CW seats in the same space. On that basis any price increase should be minimal. The caveat however is that BA have 7 wide on the 787, but 8 wide on the 777. On the 777 they might have a greater loss of seats.

Arion640

Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:06 pm

Bongodog49 wrote:
Totally unscientific, but a quick look on Seat Guru shows that a Qatar 787-8 has 20 Super Diamond seats between doors 1 & 2 , BA 787-8's currently have 21 CW seats in the same space. On that basis any price increase should be minimal. The caveat however is that BA have 7 wide on the 787, but 8 wide on the 777. On the 777 they might have a greater loss of seats.

There’s 3 rows of Business between doors 1 and 2 on the -8 for BA. There’s 6 rows of Business on the 777 so they should be able to get 40 of the new suites in that space (give or take a couple), the current configuration is 48 J.
Lets get Brexit done.

musman9853

Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:00 pm

Cunard wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
KlimaBXsst wrote:
Cannot seem to find a number of posts on here I made for what ever reason and for that reason a reply i guess cannot be made...

But all the same, did we conform this NEW seat is NOT going on the A380?

If so, is this indicative of anything regarding the A380 and British Airways?

Trying to be gentle here cause peoples feelings seem to be very sensitive regarding this wonderful double-decker airplane.

Haven’t ridden it yet but hear it is supremely quiet which is something I value!

iirc all we have confiremd at this stage is that it'll be retrofitted onto the 777s, at least some of them. i don't think anything else has been confirmed. if that a380 rumor is true, it'll be in keeping with the rest of the worlds airlines in dumping the a380

British Airways will not be one of those ''rest of the worlds airlines in dumping the A380''.

The aircraft has a place in the long haul fleet and the A380 will remain as part of the British Airways fleet for years to come :-)

uhh, qatar is retiring theirs starting in 2024 as their planes hit 10 years old. as for the rest of the world, by my count, LH/SQ/MH/AF/EK have started retiring planes or have stated they are planning on retiring some frames in the near future. That's a pretty substantial chunk of the market, especially with airlines like QF saying they're not big fans of the plane.
Welcome to the City Beautiful.

Cunard

Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:15 pm

musman9853 wrote:
Cunard wrote:
musman9853 wrote:

iirc all we have confiremd at this stage is that it'll be retrofitted onto the 777s, at least some of them. i don't think anything else has been confirmed. if that a380 rumor is true, it'll be in keeping with the rest of the worlds airlines in dumping the a380

British Airways will not be one of those ''rest of the worlds airlines in dumping the A380''.

The aircraft has a place in the long haul fleet and the A380 will remain as part of the British Airways fleet for years to come :-)

uhh, qatar is retiring theirs starting in 2024 as their planes hit 10 years old. as for the rest of the world, by my count, LH/SQ/MH/AF/EK have started retiring planes or have stated they are planning on retiring some frames in the near future. That's a pretty substantial chunk of the market, especially with airlines like QF saying they're not big fans of the plane.

Although 2024 seems reasonable can you provide a link where Qatar have officially stated this?
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

Arion640

Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:33 pm

Cunard wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
Cunard wrote:

Although 2024 seems reasonable can you provide a link where Qatar have officially stated this?

Al baker said it in an interview not too long ago. Think it may of been to aviation analyst.

I would treat it with caution, although my one and only QR A380 flight had 150 onboard.
Lets get Brexit done.

musman9853

Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:44 pm

Cunard wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
Cunard wrote:

https://aviationanalyst.co.uk/2019/02/1 ... f-carrier/

EXCLUSIVE: BOEING 777X WILL REPLACE AIRBUS A380 AT GULF CARRIER

In an exclusive sit-down interview with Qatar Airways CEO Mr Al Baker in Doha, the State of Qatar, Al Baker told Aviation Analyst that the airline is planning to retire its A380 jets over the coming years. “For the A380s, on the 10thanniversary, we will retire them,” said Al Baker

(side note, why is his name spelled baker? it's more accurately phonetically spelled bakr)

george77300

Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:19 pm

Cunard wrote:
george77300 wrote:
Cunard wrote:

I can't link it now as I'm using my phone but a quote from an article by Al Baker on ch-aviation.com dated 19 March 2019. (Yesterday).

Unless you can add a substantiated link to state otherwise!

Here is the quote,

''Qatar Airways also have no plans to phase out 10 A380-800s despite the Airbus decision to end the production of the type in 2021''

His words not mine although realistically time wise I would imagine that 2028 seems an appropriate guess for their retirement but anything can happen before then.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/simplefl ... ement/amp/

Here:

“For the A380s, on the 10th anniversary, we will retire them. Once we have paid our financial obligations, they will go”

And:

“We don’t see any secondary market opportunity. There are ex-Singapore Airlines A380 jets that nobody wants, and this year, there will be aircraft available to the second-hand market from Emirates”

He stated 777X is replacement, here:

“The 777X will replace the A380 on routes, including to Australia. We will let a couple of airlines take it and clear all of the bugs from it first. It means we will be one of the launch operators, but not the launch operator”

These are going to be the youngest A380 frames retired. Only ten years old. Built 2014-2018 and retiring 2024-2028. Every other A380 currently will be around past their 10th birthday.

Cunard

Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:01 pm

musman9853 wrote:
Cunard wrote:
musman9853 wrote:

In an exclusive sit-down interview with Qatar Airways CEO Mr Al Baker in Doha, the State of Qatar, Al Baker told Aviation Analyst that the airline is planning to retire its A380 jets over the coming years. “For the A380s, on the 10thanniversary, we will retire them,” said Al Baker

(side note, why is his name spelled baker? it's more accurately phonetically spelled bakr)

I've already read those links beforehand but what I was quoting was an article from ch-aviation.com from 19 March 2019 where it was stated by Al Baker that they will remain in service with the airline, but what he obviously missed out in the article was remaining with the airline until 2024.

Ever since Airbus officially announced their intentions to stop the production line of the A380 in 2021 and the fact that airlines such as AF, LH, etc have announced their intentions of early retirement of the A380 people have been dooming and glooming the aircraft with the facts and figures presented giving the impression that they will no longer be gracing our skies, sure there are going to be many that probably wont find a buyer but with EK having so many in their fleet the A380 will be around for years to come albeit with fewer airlines, which is undoubtedly a bloody shame as the A380 should have been an overwhelming success but in my eyes it has been for so many reasons but obviously not in the eyes of the CEOs of those particular airlines that operate the aircraft.

With the economics and the payload of the B777X it's now clearly obvious that this particular aircraft is in a position to take the role of what the A380 was intended to be.

musman9853

Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:09 pm

Cunard wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
Cunard wrote:

I've already read those links beforehand but what I was quoting was an article from ch-aviation.com from 19 March 2019 where it was stated by Al Baker that they will remain in service with the airline, but what he obviously missed out in the article was remaining with the airline until 2024.

Ever since Airbus officially announced their intentions to stop the production line of the A380 in 2021 and the fact that airlines such as AF, LH, etc have announced their intentions of early retirement of the A380 people have been dooming and glooming the aircraft with the facts and figures presented giving the impression that they will no longer be gracing our skies, sure there are going to be many that probably wont find a buyer but with EK having so many in their fleet the A380 will be around for years to come albeit with fewer airlines, which is undoubtedly a bloody shame as the A380 should have been an overwhelming success but in my eyes it has been for so many reasons but obviously not in the eyes of the CEOs of those particular airlines that operate the aircraft.

With the economics and the payload of the B777X it's now clearly obvious that this particular aircraft is in a position to take the role of what the A380 was intended to be.

agreed 100% there'll still be a380s flying for another couple decades. ek gets their last in 2021, they fly it for 12 years, so ek will probably retire their final one around 2033ish if current trends hold

BA174

Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:34 am

tonystan wrote:
BA174 wrote:
leftcoast8 wrote:
How many redesigns of CW/First does this make? I'm keeping a list:

1995 Club World (the "cradle seat")
2000 Club World (truly flat beds)
2006 Club World
2018 Club World (359)
1991 First
1996 First
2010 First (77W, 777-9X)
2013 First (A380s only)
2017 First (789)
2020 First (refurbbed 77Ws)

I counted ten different refreshes/refits since 1990. It makes my head spin

Not to forget there were several different versions of the basic 1999 Club World. The original bright blue and white plastic panels look was replaced by the darker colours and brown leather surround, softer seat furnishing and the fan style divider early on. It was changed again on the 767s until the last long haul frame was retired (also the end of that seat) in September 2018.

To me the original Club Wolrd bed is ledgendary in many ways, ground breaking.

Well actually the B767 club world seat was retired in 2016 when the last longhaul B767 was parked. However it continued for a short time to fly with OpenSkies and perhaps there is still one or two on their B757s?

That’s exactly what I was referring to, G-BNWI/F-HILU operated the last BA branded OpenSkies service in September 2018 after the 757s had all left with the orIginal seat and then retired to St Athan marking the end of the original Club Wolrd seat.

BAWLGW

Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:42 pm

Will the old Club seat be able to be taken out of the 787 and the new seat put it? Just wondering about aircraft door size etc

MoKa777

Sat May 11, 2019 1:26 pm

According to reports, BA's A35K will have the following seat configuration:

331 | 56J / 56W / 219Y

For comparison, CX (with a similar J seat type) has the following configuration:

334 | 46J / 32W / 256Y

My question is, how is BA managing to fit so many more premium seats into their A35K?

BA will have 10 more J and 24 more W seats with only 37 fewer Y.

Granted, those 24 extra W seats can fit into the space taken up by 37 Y seats but where is BA getting the space for 10 (!) more J?

Will BA have lower-deck lavs like LH has on the A346?
Never be proud. Always be grateful.

LAX772LR

Sat May 11, 2019 2:23 pm

musman9853 wrote:

Same reason that the former leader of Libya's name has been spelled Kaddafi, Gaddafi, Qaddafi; there isn't an exact science to transliteration for languages that don't share the same written base/structure/etc.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

817Dreamliiner

Sat May 11, 2019 2:28 pm

MoKa777 wrote:

331 | 56J / 56W / 219Y

For comparison, CX (with a similar J seat type) has the following configuration:

334 | 46J / 32W / 256Y

My question is, how is BA managing to fit so many more premium seats into their A35K?

Granted, those 24 extra W seats can fit into the space taken up by 37 Y seats but where is BA getting the space for 10 (!) more J?

The BA A350 Club World configuration is done with 44 seats between Door 1 and Door 2 and the remain 12 after Door 2:

Also BA fit 7 more Y seats than CX in the rear section. In the centre section of the aircraft BA have 49 Y seats along with the 56 W seats and 12 J seats whereas CX have 32 W seats and 93 Y seats. Economy seat difference between the two is 44 in this section which is taken up by the 12 extra J seats and the 56 W seats on the BA aircraft.
I'll wake from the dream, To keep and relive, Now life it is a dream, And dream's on a... BREAK!

MoKa777

Sat May 11, 2019 4:04 pm

817Dreamliiner wrote:
MoKa777 wrote:

331 | 56J / 56W / 219Y

334 | 46J / 32W / 256Y

The BA A350 Club World configuration is done with 44 seats between Door 1 and Door 2 and the remain 12 after Door 2:

Also BA fit 7 more Y seats than CX in the rear section. In the centre section of the aircraft BA have 49 Y seats along with the 56 W seats and 12 J seats whereas CX have 32 W seats and 93 Y seats. Economy seat difference between the two is 44 in this section which is taken up by the 12 extra J seats and the 56 W seats on the BA aircraft.

Thank you for this detailed explanation.

BA seem to be using the space available very efficiently!

BA may be able to generate over 10% greater revenue from the same aircraft compared to CX. Impressive.

Do you know how many lavs there are on the BA A35K?

817Dreamliiner

Sun May 12, 2019 12:27 pm

MoKa777 wrote:

I counted 7 on the map available when choosing a seat on the booking page, but it may be more than that as you can't see the area before row 1 in J.
I'll wake from the dream, To keep and relive, Now life it is a dream, And dream's on a... BREAK!

MoKa777

Sun May 12, 2019 2:55 pm

817Dreamliiner wrote:
MoKa777 wrote:

I counted 7 on the map available when choosing a seat on the booking page, but it may be more than that as you can't see the area before row 1 in J.

Yep, there may be more ahead of row 1. Seems about right.

Thanks again for this.

TCX69K

Sun May 12, 2019 3:09 pm

It has 9 in total.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos