Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dcajet
Topic Author

Hydraulic fluid leak forces airport closure @ EZE

Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:10 pm

A major hydraulic fluid leak from an Avianca A332 N342AV, that was landing from BOG at 5:17 forced the closure of the airport, as the leak occurred at the intersection of EZE's 2 main runways 11-29 and 17-35. The airport was closed for 4 hours until the cleaning crews could take care of the mess. Runway 11-29 was reopened at 5 AM and 17-35 at 10 AM. AV's return flight to BOG was cancelled.

The morning is the peak arrivals period at EZE for flights from Europe and North America, and MVD and other regional airports saw a windfall of diversions. The scene early this AM at MVD from a departing AR 73G to AEP includes Norwegian UK, KLM, Alitalia, Air Europa, LATAM Peru, COPA and GOL among others.

DABYT

Re: Hydraulic fluid leak forces airport closure @ EZE

Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:15 pm

Thanks for the info. I was already wondering why LH510 was diverted to Asunción today.

upperdeckfan

Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:44 pm

Spotters at ASU must have had a great time with a B748 on the ground

upperdeckfan

Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:00 pm

dcajet wrote:
A major hydraulic fluid leak from an Avianca A332 N342AV, that was landing from BOG at 5:17 forced the closure of the airport, as the leak occurred at the intersection of EZE's 2 main runways 11-29 and 17-35. The airport was closed for 4 hours until the cleaning crews could take care of the mess. Runway 11-29 was reopened at 5 AM and 17-35 at 10 AM. AV's return flight to BOG was cancelled.

The morning is the peak arrivals period at EZE for flights from Europe and North America, and MVD and other regional airports saw a windfall of diversions. The scene early this AM at MVD from a departing AR 73G to AEP includes Norwegian UK, KLM, Alitalia, Air Europa, LATAM Peru, COPA and GOL among others.

BTW dcajet, as I told you recently on another thread, strange events seem to happen more often at EZE than anywhere else.

I left EZE last Friday 3 hours late as KL's 77W went tech just before takeoff.... engine related... are you aware of what really happened?

Trying to post a picture I took when they were working on the engine but couldn't sort out how to do it

dcajet
Topic Author

Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:21 pm

upperdeckfan wrote:

BTW dcajet, as I told you recently on another thread, strange events seem to happen more often at EZE than anywhere else.

:biggrin: :airplane: I think we can chalk this up to EZE's 2 runways' layout, that intersect each other and the proverbial location, location, location for Avianca to go tech.

upperdeckfan wrote:

I left EZE last Friday 3 hours late as KL's 77W went tech just before takeoff.... engine related... are you aware of what really happened?

Trying to post a picture I took when they were working on the engine but couldn't sort out how to do it

Saw something on Twitter, but that's pretty much it.

dcajet
Topic Author

Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:52 pm

Leak sprung from the main landing gear doors' actuator.

Last edited by dcajet on Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

upperdeckfan

Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:04 am

dcajet wrote:

Didn't look like a landing gear issue, left engine was opened and a couple of mechanics were working on it most of the time.

dcajet
Topic Author

Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:07 am

upperdeckfan wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Didn't look like a landing gear issue, left engine was opened and a couple of mechanics were working on it most of the time.

I was referring to the AV A332 issues earlier this AM. I have no clue what happened to the KL 77W beyond that it went tech. Sorry for confusing you.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:09 am

I can’t imagine how big a leak it would have to be to close an airport. I’ve dumped the contents of much Sys 1 in the C-5 and didn’t a close a single runway airport. That was a few hundred gallons of 5606.

GF

DABYT

Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:34 am

upperdeckfan wrote:

ASU has seen LHs 748 several times in the last years due to diversions. Mainly because of bad weather in EZE.

dcajet
Topic Author

Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:44 am

DABYT wrote:
upperdeckfan wrote:

ASU has seen LHs 748 several times in the last years due to diversions. Mainly because of bad weather in EZE.

LH510 D-ABYS landed at EZE at 12:30P, 4 1/2 hours after its scheduled arrival time of 8:00 AM. It was carrying 336 passengers plus crew.

BA285 77W G-STBL from LHR landed at 09:46, just 45 minutes after its scheduled arrival time; it just held over EZE for a few minutes.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos