adamblang

Re: Trump to nominate former DL exec as FAA Administrator

Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:22 pm

ual763 wrote:
For those of you unaware, he was the Director of Flight Ops at Delta.

In the linked article and after some Googling, I couldn't find what he'd done at Delta. Thanks for this useful information. A flight-qualified Director of Flight Ops at a massive global airline does indeed sound like good pick to run the FAA.
146 319 320 321 332 333 343 717 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 789 AR1 AT4 CNA CR2 CR7 DC9 ER3 ERD ER4 E70 E75 E90

gatibosgru

Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:29 pm

ual763 wrote:
gatibosgru wrote:
26point2 wrote:
Not long ago Trump said he was nominating his own personal pilot to head the FAA. What ever happened to that plan?

Let's just be happy that miraculously didn't happen.

He’s actually an EXTREMELY intelligent guy and an amazing pilot. I know him and speak to him regularly at work. You should see his license card, or rather cards, quite the amazing list of type ratings.

No doubt about it! But heading the FAA doesn't just take flying experience.
@DadCelo

cledaybuck

Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:38 pm

astuteman wrote:
B737900ER wrote:
astuteman wrote:
In fact, to the best of my memory, every major development programme launched by either of the big 2 this century has a crash record which demonstrates the expectations of modern safety management - i.e. none.

I will gladly stand corrected, but that is the context that the MAX crashes exist in, in the 21st century.

Rgds

Give it time.

Avation has become so safe that we don’t expect accidents or incidents. But the fact of the matter is that flying is inherently dangerous. The 787 came close. The A380 came real close. The rest of your list will experience a crash or will come really close to crashing at some point. How many A320 crashed due to poor designs? Not bashing any model in particular, but you can’t predict every situation and every flight crew decision during testing. The head of the FAA isn’t going to change that.

And if I needed any further evidence that the safety culture is well and truly broken around the 737 MAX, not that I did, this response would be it.
It's appalling - just like Boeing's and the FAA's response to the crashes.

At the moment the programmes I cited have a 0 statistical probability of crashing.
The 737NG and A320CEO from the '80's and '90's have a 1 in 10 million statistical probability of crashing.
But the MAX - the latest programme of them all - has a one in 100 000 statistical probability of crashing.
That is 100 times worse than 1990's designs and infinitely worse than 21st century designs.

Yet both Boeing and the FAA pushed hard to keep it in the Air!!!!!
In the '60's and '70's that might have been acceptable, but I can guarantee you that it isn't in the 2nd decade of the 21st century :shakehead:
And I need to be really clear here. That's not a debatable statement
The twisting and turning of apologists on these forums notwithstanding.

You had better hope that the new Head of the FAA changes this utterly disgraceful cavalier attitude to other peoples safety pretty damn quick.
He bloody needs to!
Otherwise your prophesy will indeed be self fulfilling. :yes:

I know I mentioned something in the other thread, but please don't use (abuse) statistics like this. No plane has a 0 probability of crashing (just because it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean the probability is 0). I also believe the MAX sample size is too small to determine an actual probability, although it doesn't look good right now. In fact, I object to crashes being used at all as they are too rare of an occurrence (thank god) to have statistical relevance. Would the A380 be a less safe plane today if QF didn't have very good pilots on board to land it safely? Is the 787 safer today because some things that could have been extremely dangerous happened on the ground?

Don't get me wrong, I am not arguing that the MAX shouldn't have been grounded. In fact, as someone who was scheduled to be on one in less than two months, I was relieved.

To try and put this post somewhat on topic, I think what the new head needs to do is find out if the FAA actually takes safety as seriously as they say they do. If not, that is a culture that needs to change and it can happen from the top down. Of course, the FAA's dual missions to promote safety and the industry naturally is in conflict.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

CV880

Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:36 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Dunno why, but I was terrified before opening this that it would say "Vicki Escarra" :(

You've gotta be insane to even think of that.

LAX772LR

Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:04 am

DL747400 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Dunno why, but I was terrified before opening this that it would say "Vicki Escarra" :(

And yet another post of patently pointless commentary about someone who has no tangible effect on the industry.

....still THAT butt-hurt, huh? :lol:

CV880 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

You've gotta be insane to even think of that.

Exactly, which is why I was horrified as to how possible it was that Trump would therefore do it! :eek:
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

reltney

Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:27 am

tommy1808 wrote:
B737900ER wrote:
Name an aircraft program that hasn’t has a crash.

A350, A380, A340*, 717, 787, C-series,....

Best regards
Thomas

*all hull loses on the ground

Mecure, 747-SP, A-318, L1649, AN-225, Breguet 763/765 are a few off the top of my head not mentioned.

Normal regards
RELTNEY
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

astuteman

Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:42 am

cledaybuck wrote:
astuteman wrote:
B737900ER wrote:
Give it time.

Avation has become so safe that we don’t expect accidents or incidents. But the fact of the matter is that flying is inherently dangerous. The 787 came close. The A380 came real close. The rest of your list will experience a crash or will come really close to crashing at some point. How many A320 crashed due to poor designs? Not bashing any model in particular, but you can’t predict every situation and every flight crew decision during testing. The head of the FAA isn’t going to change that.

And if I needed any further evidence that the safety culture is well and truly broken around the 737 MAX, not that I did, this response would be it.

At the moment the programmes I cited have a 0 statistical probability of crashing.
The 737NG and A320CEO from the '80's and '90's have a 1 in 10 million statistical probability of crashing.
But the MAX - the latest programme of them all - has a one in 100 000 statistical probability of crashing.
That is 100 times worse than 1990's designs and infinitely worse than 21st century designs.

In the '60's and '70's that might have been acceptable, but I can guarantee you that it isn't in the 2nd decade of the 21st century :shakehead:

You had better hope that the new Head of the FAA changes this utterly disgraceful cavalier attitude to other peoples safety pretty damn quick.
He bloody needs to!

I know I mentioned something in the other thread, but please don't use (abuse) statistics like this. No plane has a 0 probability of crashing (just because it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean the probability is 0). I also believe the MAX sample size is too small to determine an actual probability, although it doesn't look good right now. In fact, I object to crashes being used at all as they are too rare of an occurrence (thank god) to have statistical relevance. Would the A380 be a less safe plane today if QF didn't have very good pilots on board to land it safely? Is the 787 safer today because some things that could have been extremely dangerous happened on the ground?

Don't get me wrong, I am not arguing that the MAX shouldn't have been grounded. In fact, as someone who was scheduled to be on one in less than two months, I was relieved.

To try and put this post somewhat on topic, I think what the new head needs to do is find out if the FAA actually takes safety as seriously as they say they do. If not, that is a culture that needs to change and it can happen from the top down. Of course, the FAA's dual missions to promote safety and the industry naturally is in conflict.

Please don't use a prescriptive linguistic argument to divert attention the very clear message that the MAX has sharply bucked a very long term trend of new programmes becoming safer and safer, and yet neither Boeing nor the FAA were prepared to ground it until instructed. The task of the new head of the FAA is to find out why the safety culture exhibited that behaviour.
I'm pretty sure most other posters were smart enough to know that I'm smart enough to know that there is in reality no such thing as zero probability. They will have understood the intent, which is that there is such a thing as "trending towards zero". The fact remains that no other 21st century programme has crashed. The safety task is to try and ensure it stays that way. A blase acceptance of the inevitability of a crash some time in the future is the best way to guarantee that there will be one.

tommy1808

Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:26 am

astuteman wrote:
I'm pretty sure most other posters were smart enough to know that I'm smart enough to know that there is in reality no such thing as zero probability.

Well.... a 737max disappearing and reappearing in orbit around Jupiter has a non-zero probability ;)

Safety first used to the mantra in aviation, even considering waiting for positive proof that an aircraft isn't safe would spell dark times ahead if that philosophy seeps into the industry.

See the "Trump only folded to unjustified pressure" arguments prolific use in the other thread.
If that is the sort of discussion to have in an aviation forum.... God help us.

I can not get a 10$ 10W power supply certified for worldwide use without independent, certified 3rd party labs costing tens of thousands of dollars, but aircraft OEM self-certify stuff, however minor, seemingly without effective supervision?
The FBI is now on the case, seems that someone thinks stuff may not have been done right....

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

FlyingElvii

Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:51 am

ual763 wrote:
Roots1 wrote:
ual763 wrote:
Anyone can be better than Huerta. Glad those days are behind us.

Why was Michael Huerta so bad?

Well, aside from having barely any experience in the aviation industry (was a donor to both political parties), read up about what he did with ATC hiring back in 2013 & 2014. Didn't work out too well, and there are currently a couple class action lawsuits brewing as we speak. There are numerous other little things too, but this is the main one.

Lower hiring standards and racial quotas...

DL747400

Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:22 pm

LAX772LR wrote:

LAX772LR wrote:
....still THAT butt-hurt, huh? :lol:(

Not in the slightest. It's just that the vast majority on this board have no clue who she is/was and had to Google name to find out that she was involved in the airline business at all. Some A.net posters are barely out of puberty and were not even born when she was around.

Back on topic: Once again, many people see a fresh face in the top spot at FAA as an opportunity to clean house and restructure the agency in a real and meaningful way so that it can be a benefit to aviation rather than a liability. The realist side of me, however, is bracing for disappointment. Unlike Wall Street, past performance in government and FAA specifically is a very accurate indication of future behavior and returns.
Last edited by DL747400 on Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

cledaybuck

Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:35 pm

astuteman wrote:
cledaybuck wrote:
astuteman wrote:

He bloody needs to!

Please don't use a prescriptive linguistic argument to divert attention the very clear message that the MAX has sharply bucked a very long term trend of new programmes becoming safer and safer, and yet neither Boeing nor the FAA were prepared to ground it until instructed. The task of the new head of the FAA is to find out why the safety culture exhibited that behaviour.
I'm pretty sure most other posters were smart enough to know that I'm smart enough to know that there is in reality no such thing as zero probability. They will have understood the intent, which is that there is such a thing as "trending towards zero". The fact remains that no other 21st century programme has crashed. The safety task is to try and ensure it stays that way. A blase acceptance of the inevitability of a crash some time in the future is the best way to guarantee that there will be one.
I have been reading this site long enough to know that you know that there is not zero probability. I wasn't trying to divert attention from anything, and I will admit my argument was a bit pedantic. It's just the engineer in me that doesn't like seeing statistics used that way.

Two more comments. Who do you feel instructed the FAA to ground the plane? Trump? He loves taking credit for everything, and I don't believe a word out of his mouth. I would hope the FAA made the decision after reviewing some new data from the ET crash, although I believe public pressure (and the fact that every other country had grounded it) played a big role. If it really was Trump overruling the FAA, that is even more concerning because it says some horrible things about the safety culture at the FAA.

Second comment is about the trend of new programs becoming safer. While that is undoubtedly the long term trend in the industry, I am not sure it is the trend at Boeing. We went from the 777, which had a pretty good record, to the 787, which had no crashes but had some serious safety events which grounded the plane, to the 737 MAX, which has been grounded due to two fatal crashes. I am not sure whose "fault" this is, whether the FAA or Boeing or both, but that is a very concerning trend and something that needs to be remedied asap.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

cledaybuck

Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:44 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
astuteman wrote:
I'm pretty sure most other posters were smart enough to know that I'm smart enough to know that there is in reality no such thing as zero probability.

Well.... a 737max disappearing and reappearing in orbit around Jupiter has a non-zero probability ;)

Safety first used to the mantra in aviation, even considering waiting for positive proof that an aircraft isn't safe would spell dark times ahead if that philosophy seeps into the industry.

See the "Trump only folded to unjustified pressure" arguments prolific use in the other thread.
If that is the sort of discussion to have in an aviation forum.... God help us.

I can not get a 10$ 10W power supply certified for worldwide use without independent, certified 3rd party labs costing tens of thousands of dollars, but aircraft OEM self-certify stuff, however minor, seemingly without effective supervision?
The FBI is now on the case, seems that someone thinks stuff may not have been done right....

Best regards
Thomas

What if the argument is that the FAA folded to justified pressure? On one hand, there is some good in showing that the public does still have some power over large corporations like Boeing, Southwest, American, and United. On the other, that fact that it got to that point shows something potentially very wrong with the safety culture at FAA.

LAX772LR

Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:20 pm

DL747400 wrote:
Not in the slightest. It's just that the vast majority on this board have no clue who she is/was and had to Google name to find out that she was involved in the airline business at all. Some A.net posters are barely out of puberty and were not even born when she was around.

Meh, the "vast majority" on this board also asks questions like "why hasn't DL ordered fifty 748i"... so since when did we start using THAT as a barometer of what is and isn't a relevant application? :lol:

That said, despite using your own particular personal ignorance as if it was a projection of the board: you might wish to do a search for this site and the terms "Delta" + "Uncle Leo" or "Auntie Vicki," because back when this board was an excitingly informative place to be, ridiculing Mullin+Escarra was quite the favored activity.

NickLAX

Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:40 pm

Expected - the FCC is run by a Verizon shill why do anything different for other agencies. So how much will this hose GA by having a major airline influenced head vs someone with a bit of balance.

catiii

Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:02 pm

ual763 wrote:
catiii wrote:
ual763 wrote:
For those of you unaware, he was the Director of Flight Ops at Delta. Pretty good pick, imo. Glad to see someone nominated who has experience flying a real plane (The 727)! Anyone can be better than Huerta. Glad those days are behind us.

More like he was the SVP of Flight Ops at Delta....

True, but on their FAA certification, the FAA would have him as Director of Ops, since Senior VP is a company term.

Yeah but an FAA designation is irrelevant to his qualifications to lead the agency.

klakzky123

Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:22 pm

NickLAX wrote:
Expected - the FCC is run by a Verizon shill why do anything different for other agencies. So how much will this hose GA by having a major airline influenced head vs someone with a bit of balance.

To be fair, the Obama FCC was run by former telecom and ISP lobbyist as well. But he ended up being the one to implement net neutrality before Ajit Pai repealed it.

Being a former lobbyist or industry insider doesn't inherently mean that one governs like the current FCC head. But knowing the current administration, I suppose its fair to be skeptical. They haven't exactly established a strong track record of appointing independent and fair agency leaders.

ual763

Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:24 pm

catiii wrote:
ual763 wrote:
catiii wrote:

More like he was the SVP of Flight Ops at Delta....

True, but on their FAA certification, the FAA would have him as Director of Ops, since Senior VP is a company term.

Yeah but an FAA designation is irrelevant to his qualifications to lead the agency.

I don’t understand what you’re arguing over. They’re the same thing. In Delta’s corporate lingo he is referred to as SVP, in FAA lingo he is Director of Flight Ops. It is the same thing at every major airline. If you read the bios of these people on the corporate website, they all say that “in this role, he acts as the Director of Operations on the FAA Certification”.

They are literally the same thing, just different terms. The only reason the airlines designate him as SVP instead of Director of Flight Ops is because of the corporate chain of command structure and to keep it in line with the rest of the company. (Meaning he reports to the COO just like the other SVP’s of other departments.)
From flying to the NOTAM office

DL747400

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:19 am

LAX772LR wrote:
That said, despite using your own particular personal ignorance as if it was a projection of the board: you might wish to do a search for this site and the terms "Delta" + "Uncle Leo" or "Auntie Vicki," because back when this board was an excitingly informative place to be, ridiculing Mullin+Escarra was quite the favored activity.

Please allow me to clarify my original posting. I knew who Vickie Escarra was/is. My intent was to point out that the vast majority on this site do not, and had to resort to Googling her name to find out her history and relationship to the airline business. And I am still struggling to see how she is relevant to this thread?
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

32andBelow

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:32 am

Does it matter when you have to report to Elaine chow?

CO953

Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:03 am

Yossarian22 wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
S0Y wrote:

If it was someone from Boeing, then you may have a point, but not sure what bias an ex-DL exec would bring to the FAA's role. If anything I think its good that a ex-pilot is being selected and I would hope(expect) that he will put public safety above any personal/political gain

Of the largest U.S. airlines, Delta is the only one that doesn't have the max on order. The next largest U.S. airline that doesn't have them ordered is JetBlue. The sudden need to appoint someone to this position was likely precipitated by the max crisis. It's actually a pleasantly surprising avoidance of a conflict of interest.

The FAA does more than regulate the 737-Max, it regulates airlines as well. That is a conflict of interest, it is problematic that in nearly every regulatory position is a guy who once was a high level executive in the industry he is now regulating.

Just to be a bit of a smarta$$ :D , then maybe Trump's personal pilot could have been a better choice :biggrin:

LAX772LR

Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:05 am

DL747400 wrote:
And I am still struggling to see how she is relevant to this thread?

• Thread title = Trump to nominate former DL exec
  • Escarra = a former DL exec
  • Poster says "entered this thread terrified that he might've chosen Escarra for a government position"

....pretty straightforward really

catiii

Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:17 pm

ual763 wrote:
catiii wrote:
ual763 wrote:

I don’t understand what you’re arguing over. They’re the same thing. In Delta’s corporate lingo he is referred to as SVP, in FAA lingo he is Director of Flight Ops. It is the same thing at every major airline. If you read the bios of these people on the corporate website, they all say that “in this role, he acts as the Director of Operations on the FAA Certification”.

They are literally the same thing, just different terms. The only reason the airlines designate him as SVP instead of Director of Flight Ops is because of the corporate chain of command structure and to keep it in line with the rest of the company. (Meaning he reports to the COO just like the other SVP’s of other departments.)

It's not the same thing at every major airline. I can think of two airlines where the DO on the certificate is not the SVP of Flight Ops. In fact at Delta, for a while the SVP of Flight Ops pre Steve Dickson was NOT the DO on the cert. My only point is that being the DO on the cert doesn't necessarily qualify you to run the FAA. Being an SVP of a massive company, leading all aspects of flight ops, and NOT being the DO on the cert does qualify you.

Shall we keep going?

UPlog

Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:44 pm

Seems like the nomination might be in a bit of trouble.

Its come out that Dickson during his time at Delta was involved in a case in which a DL pilot alleged the company retaliated against her -- including sending her to a psychiatrist -- after she was a whistleblower and shared safety concerns with him.
As Delta's then-head of flight operations, Dickson approved sending the pilot, Karlene Petitt, to a psychiatrist weeks after she gave him and another flight operations manager a report that listed what she described as FAA violations by Delta, according to documents.
The company psychiatrist diagnosed Petitt with bipolar disorder and the company grounded her for more than a year. Two subsequent examinations found that she does not have that disorder, and she is currently flying for Delta.
Petitt is suing Delta in a Department of Labor administrative case that remains pending.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/06/03/poli ... index.html

Revelation

Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:46 pm

LAXintl wrote:
President Donald Trump will nominate former Delta Air Lines executive Steve Dickson to head the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), the White House said on Tuesday.

At Delta, Dickson oversaw more than 13,000 pilots and an internal support team of 400 employees. He flew the A320, B727, B737, B757 and B767 during his career at Delta and is a former U.S. Air Force officer and F-15 fighter pilot.

So he's going from flying grandfather's airplane to grandfathering airplanes? :-)
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

janders

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:45 pm

Approved by Senate committee vote 14-12. Now moves to full Senate for a vote.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

KlimaBXsst

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:42 pm

Someone on another thread asked if “physics” work differently in the US.
Was kind of amused by that question actually.

Kind of to amused not by who is being nominated here, but who he is being nominated by. The cozy club never ceases to amaze me.

I wonder what he thinks about the “CozySuite seat.” Maybe Embraer’s staggered seating is a better fit for airline realities than the CozySuite. I am still motivated by the CozySuite and I don’t mean that amusingly or smart.

Undermining this poor FAA nominee is probably a big goal of many here, not because he is who he is but because who he is attached to and inevitably the Cozy Club who he is a part.
of.

As far as the One Sky Alliance Team much like NBASC media conglomerates, I have no opinion one way or another though... except to say everything that goes up must come down. Safe landings too all, and yes gravitational physics works the same on all the terrestrial planets we are familiar with in the USA.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

bennett123

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:52 pm

As a former Director of Flight Operations at DL, this doesn’t sound like a contentious appointment.

shankly

Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:16 pm

L1011 - P F M

ozark1

Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:30 pm

I think it is absolutely wrong to have someone who was vp of ops at DL LAST YEAR, be appointed to head the agency that oversees DL and the others. Of course airline personnel make great FAA employees because of their experience in all fields, however as far as I knew, if you came from say, WN and became a cabin safety inspector, you were prohibited from having any association with WN in terms of regulatory compliance. So that person would be assigned to AA or B6 or another carrier. I am not questioning the competence of the gentleman. I just think it is not right, ethically, to appoint him so soon after his years at DL. I don't know what the solution would be, but i just don't think he should be having safety discussions with pilots that he knows personally and has a history with. Just my two cents.

SteelChair

Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:48 pm

shankly wrote:

Well I'm not impressed by Sully.

An airline pilot who simply did his job has been elevated by the media to be an expert on all things aviation.

bravoindia

Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:33 am

SteelChair wrote:
shankly wrote:

An airline pilot who simply did his job has been elevated by the media to be an expert on all things aviation.

Exactly.

kimimm19

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:28 am

People are unbelievable these days...

They care more about their political ideologies than even THEIR own safety, it's beyond me.

kiowa

Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:31 am

This deserves it’s own thread but the moderator locked the one I started.

It's an interesting case for the Trump appointee from Delta. This paints a bad picture of discrimination for Delta and the nominee. Are the accusations based in reality?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/12/politics .

apodino

Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:01 am

kiowa wrote:
This deserves it’s own thread but the moderator locked the one I started.

It's an interesting case for the Trump appointee from Delta. This paints a bad picture of discrimination for Delta and the nominee. Are the accusations based in reality?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/12/politics .

It's a broken link, but the point is that it paints a very bad picture for this nominee, and the very culture of self certification and cozy relationships between regulators and the companies (both Boeing and the Airlines) which has led to the max issues and claimed nearly 300 lives that we need to change desperately would instead be reinforced by this nominee.

I hate to say it, but given all the issues we have seen, Mary Schiavo or Sully would be my top two choices to run this agency. This DL guy should be rejected.

apodino

Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:08 am

SteelChair wrote:
shankly wrote:

This is very disrespectful. First of all the guy had a 30 year career as a pilot who flew several different types of airplanes and has seen a lot. You don't hear a lot about them but I would say about 90 percent of Pilots and/or dispatchers in the airline industry are experts in the aviation field. Secondly, this was a tweet, not a report from any media outlet on what he said. Thirdly, just because he has a different political opinion doesn't make him any less knowledgeable about Aviation. I don't agree with Sully on everything Aviation mind you (I support semi-privatization of the ATC system in the US for example) but to suggest he is not an expert and doesn't know what he is talking about is just not true.

bravoindia

Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:38 am

apodino wrote:
SteelChair wrote:
shankly wrote:

This is very disrespectful. First of all the guy had a 30 year career as a pilot who flew several different types of airplanes and has seen a lot. You don't hear a lot about them but I would say about 90 percent of Pilots and/or dispatchers in the airline industry are experts in the aviation field. Secondly, this was a tweet, not a report from any media outlet on what he said. Thirdly, just because he has a different political opinion doesn't make him any less knowledgeable about Aviation. I don't agree with Sully on everything Aviation mind you (I support semi-privatization of the ATC system in the US for example) but to suggest he is not an expert and doesn't know what he is talking about is just not true.

Look that’s a pretty solid response but I would venture to say 1 in 2 pilots hasn’t set foot in a radar room and almost that same percentage has little to no clue what ATC is doing or why they do it. Also 2 out of 2 pilots think they can do it better. Sully is hardly an expert on all things aviation. He’s an excellent pilot and a knowledgeable man but what else does he have other than flying experience. He may be an expert in the cockpit but not in the field. I mean no disrespect to what you’ve said. Just think expert in the FIELD is a little far.

32andBelow

Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:30 am

apodino wrote:
SteelChair wrote:
shankly wrote:

Sully has exploited his experience to being ALPAs mouthpiece. He talks about pilot training and things on cnn and they automatically listen. His positions are misinformed at best.

Yossarian22

Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:18 am

SteelChair wrote:
shankly wrote:

Landing a plane with two engines out in the river, with no fatalities and just 5 serious injuries, that is a bit more than “doing his job”.

This isn’t like saying a pilot who landed a plane safely after an engine failed on take off is a hero. He was able to save all his passengers and who knows how many people on the ground.

You can disagree with what he said, but he saved 100s of lives that day.

reggiet

Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:58 pm

SteelChair wrote:
shankly wrote:

:checkmark: :checkmark:
Reggie in Austin

WN732

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:44 am

shankly wrote:

I'm honestly tired of hearing about what Sully thinks.

catiii

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:49 am

WN732 wrote:
shankly wrote:

Amen. Talk about milking your 15 minutes.

catiii

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:50 am

bennett123 wrote:
As a former Director of Flight Operations at DL, this doesn’t sound like a contentious appointment.

SVP of Flight Ops.

catiii

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:52 am

KlimaBXsst wrote:
Someone on another thread asked if “physics” work differently in the US.
Was kind of amused by that question actually.

Kind of to amused not by who is being nominated here, but who he is being nominated by. The cozy club never ceases to amaze me.

I wonder what he thinks about the “CozySuite seat.” Maybe Embraer’s staggered seating is a better fit for airline realities than the CozySuite. I am still motivated by the CozySuite and I don’t mean that amusingly or smart.

Undermining this poor FAA nominee is probably a big goal of many here, not because he is who he is but because who he is attached to and inevitably the Cozy Club who he is a part.
of.

As far as the One Sky Alliance Team much like NBASC media conglomerates, I have no opinion one way or another though... except to say everything that goes up must come down. Safe landings too all, and yes gravitational physics works the same on all the terrestrial planets we are familiar with in the USA.

Huh? Did you take an ambien or something?

strfyr51

Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:04 am

Hopefully? He'll hire some FAA Inspectors and stop all of this "SELF" Certifying. Had there been an FAA Inspector around? Boeing would have had redundancy built into their stall system for the 737Max. Because someone in the Know might have asked a question.

kiowa

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:48 pm

WN732 wrote:
shankly wrote:

He is hands down better to listen to than the "aviation experts" on CNN or that totally annoying Richard Quest.

WN732

Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:01 pm

kiowa wrote:
WN732 wrote:
shankly wrote:

He is hands down better to listen to than the "aviation experts" on CNN or that totally annoying Richard Quest.

Now that I do agree with. Add Scary Mary to that list too. The only person I enjoyed being an expert was John Nance. He seemed to at least have a clue.

KlimaBXsst

Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:59 pm

So with this “who cares” nomination... did we have an approval..

or did the those who seek to undermine the President at every turn, just put up another road block, not because the nominee is who he is; but because he was given the nod by the President.

KlimaBXsst

Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:13 pm

catiii wrote:
Huh? Did you take an ambien or something?

Sorry, but freedom of thought is not encouraged on this forum unless one thinks from a certain more none centrist point of view.

Pravda is full force here, so rather than saying anything and jeopardize the necessities of open communication in the interest of aviation safety, one sometimes just has to create words... that require a certain amount of deciphering... or one gets sent to the forum Gulag.

Hope you are smart enough to read not between the lines, and respect my desires to conform to the bureaucrats here and thus not draw attention to my self.

How is that MAX doing with this correctness?

catiii

Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:02 pm

He was confirmed as Administrator this morning by the Senate.

reltney

Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:22 pm

catiii wrote:
He was confirmed as Administrator this morning by the Senate.

Fired from Delta and now in charge..... retaliation time!!!!
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos