Someone83
Topic Author

Laudamotion to become Lauda

Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:43 pm

Laudamotion aka «German Speaking Ryanair with Airbusses» will from now just be branded as Lauda

And gets new Austrian Airlines lookalike uniforms

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/laud ... om-vienna/

PatrickZ80

Re: Laudamotion to become Lauda

Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:02 pm

Great, so the staff have to buy new uniforms and they can throw their old ones, which no doubt they had to buy as well, away. It's a way to make money.

FlapsOne

Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:19 pm

Great news. LaudaMotion is just awkward and strange. In English anyway.

MrBrightSide

Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:26 pm

FlapsOne wrote:
Great news. LaudaMotion is just awkward and strange. In English anyway.

This was the plan from day one, as there has always been a tug of war between Niki Lauda and Austrian. When the government forced a merger between Lauda Air and Austrian Airways, naming rights for "LaudaAir" and varieties went to Austrian for a number of years. So when Niki launched his new airline, he was forced to call it "Fly Niki", instead of "Fly Lauda". Laudamotion was just a stop gap to let those naming rights expire (in 2019), and Lauda Air.... Lauda is back.
There's no better way to travel than fly (shameless rip of LH's slogan ;-)

passyflyer

Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:47 pm

I don‘t get it why they are bringing back that name.. I still associate Lauda with the 767 crash which killed all souls on board over Thailand .. I think the thrust reversers kicked in uncommanded during the flight.

leleko747

Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:48 pm

Now just put back the "Air" after the "Lauda", get some 767s and 777s and paint them on the nice grey and red scheme!
I wonder when people will understand:
Embraer 190 or simply E190, not ERJ-190. E-Jets are NOT ERJs!
Boeing 747-8, not Boeing 747-800. Same goes for 787.
Airbus A320, not Airbus 320.
Airbii does not exist.

spauls121

Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:49 pm

passyflyer wrote:
I don‘t get it why they are bringing back that name.. I still associate Lauda with the 767 crash which killed all souls on board over Thailand .. I think the thrust reversers kicked in uncommanded during the flight.

Just to be pedantic, it was only one thrust reverser (the No. 1 engine)

PatrickZ80

Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:51 pm

passyflyer wrote:

I guess very few people remember that. Besides, plenty of airlines have had crashes in the past and lived through it. KLM was even responsible for the biggest air crash in history (Tenerife) and still known as a very good and safe airline. This crash didn't harm their reputation. Why would Lauda be any different?

passyflyer

Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:56 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
passyflyer wrote:

I guess very few people remember that. Besides, plenty of airlines have had crashes in the past and lived through it. KLM was even responsible for the biggest air crash in history (Tenerife) and still known as a very good and safe airline. This crash didn't harm their reputation. Why would Lauda be any different?

You are right especially because it was probably a technical fault due to the design and neither the airline nor the pilots can be blamed. However in the German speaking countries this crash is still remembered at least by people over 40 (like myself) due to the prominence of Niki Lauda.

ELBOB

Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:03 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
KLM was even responsible for the biggest air crash in history (Tenerife) and still known as a very good and safe airline. This crash didn't harm their reputation. Why would Lauda be any different?

Probably because Lauda Air was a small airline, by KLM standards, and the accident raised a lot of eyebrows about whether the small airline had bitten off more than it could chew in jumping into international widebody long-haul. Particularly when the owner himself boasted about flying many of its flights...

The pilots' union had also objected to his crew-planning for the long-haul flights, feeling that there wasn't sufficient rest built into the schedule. Did this Formula One driver really know how to run an airline?

Eurowingsa320

Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:12 pm

On the side of the aircraft under the Lauda title it has “Laudamotion.com” wrote there. I guess this will not be on the incoming aircraft anymore or changed to Lauda.com Image

Elshad

Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:26 pm

They should launch their own website as well. Currently they are hosted on ryanair.com

Peeter

Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:39 pm

Why they choose to become Lauda and not quieter is beyond me.

SheikhDjibouti

Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:56 pm

Peeter wrote:

I totally agree; the last thing you want is a Lauda fahrt
Nothing to see here; move along please.

PatrickZ80

Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:15 pm

Elshad wrote:
They should launch their own website as well. Currently they are hosted on ryanair.com

And what's wrong with that?

By the way, Ryanair is really busy reviving old brands for their new airlines. Just recently they announced the re branding of Ryanair Sun into Buzz, which was a former Dutch LCC later bought by Ryanair. The Buzz brand then disappeared, but kept property of Ryanair and now they're bringing it back. And together with Buzz they're also bringing back Lauda.

Of course their livery won't be the same as the old Lauda, just like the new Buzz livery won't be the same as the old one. Time has advanced and they have to keep up.

GalebG4

Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:02 pm

To me personally both Buzz and Lauda liveries are not enough recognizable. Sorry O’Leary but honestly you can pay designer to design something more nicer, recognizable and more original.

SNN99

Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:47 pm

GalebG4 wrote:
To me personally both Buzz and Lauda liveries are not enough recognizable. Sorry O’Leary but honestly you can pay designer to design something more nicer, recognizable and more original.

Because this is what most European carriers are doing these days right?.....

GalebG4

Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:51 pm

SNN99 wrote:
GalebG4 wrote:

Because this is what most European carriers are doing these days right?.....

Unfortunately yes!!! :cry2:

Galwayman

Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:57 pm

Looks like Ryanair are going make them into a big success , great news for all the staff and customers

emuwarveteran

Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:21 pm

Peeter wrote:

get out
CL CRJ9, W6 A320

AA623BDLSJU

Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:33 pm

emuwarveteran wrote:
Peeter wrote:

get out

This post just made my day.
"Something special in the air."

redcap1962

Tue May 21, 2019 6:24 pm

Niki Lauda died Monday evening in the Unversity Hospital of Zurich. Lauda(motion) today performed a "farewell flight" VIE - VIE with a low pass over VIE's runway 29:
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airc ... b#2097ae98

R.I.P Niki!
This is your pilot speaking. Welcome to flight one from here to there. We'll be flying at a height of ten feet, going up to twelve and a half feet if we see anything big. My copilot today is a flask of coffee.

Eddie Izzard

redcap1962

Wed May 22, 2019 9:35 am

This is your pilot speaking. Welcome to flight one from here to there. We'll be flying at a height of ten feet, going up to twelve and a half feet if we see anything big. My copilot today is a flask of coffee.

Eddie Izzard

na

Wed May 22, 2019 9:40 am

passyflyer wrote:

... and one of the most painstaking accident investigations ever, solely initiated by Niki Lauda himself. Actually, this made his company more trustworthy than others. It was just bad luck that this Boeing construction failure hit Laudas small airline and not Delta or Air Canada.

lugie

Wed May 22, 2019 9:57 am

na wrote:
passyflyer wrote:

... and one of the most painstaking accident investigations ever, solely initiated by Niki Lauda himself. Actually, this made his company more trustworthy than others. It was just bad luck that this Boeing construction failure hit Laudas small airline and not Delta or Air Canada.

He said himself that the Lauda Air 004 catastrophe was the most devastating moment of his life which means a lot coming from someone who just barely survived a horrendous F1 crash, the scars of which he carried with him until his death.

I read somewhere that the crash and the fact that the 767 was practically doomed and unrecoverable after the #1 thrust reverser engaged, kept him on his toes so much that he spent literally hundreds of hours (he had an ATPL and a 767 type rating himself) in a simulator trying to reconstruct the circumstances by engaging the reverse thrust at altitude and grew more and more frustrated because in none of his attempts he had a fighting chance of recovering the plane.
Q400 E175 CRJ9 CRJX MD88 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 B733 B738 B739 B748 B764 B772 B788
X3 LH 4U TP US YX SN EI FR LA YW IB CM UA DL 9E AA AS
FRA STR HAM TXL ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO SJO PTY

Boeing74741R

Wed May 22, 2019 11:57 am

na wrote:
passyflyer wrote:

Not to mention the fact that Niki Lauda himself got Boeing to effectively admit it was a fault with the plane's design that allowed the thrust reverser to deploy uncommanded and crash, especially when he challenged them to fly a plane in real life and prove the plane wouldn't crash after replicating the crash in the simulator and couldn't rescue it. This article makes for interesting reading: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2006/ ... ortmonthly

If people want to associate the name Lauda with that crash then that is their prerogative, but by that logic one could also associate some of the other legacy airlines still flying today that have been involved in major/fatal crashes throughout their history (including some more recent than Lauda Air Flight 4) - should they have renamed themselves too?

B777LRF

Wed May 22, 2019 12:20 pm

passyflyer wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
passyflyer wrote:
I think the thrust reversers kicked in uncommanded during the flight.

passyflyer wrote:
because it was probably a technical fault due to the design

You are aware, I believe, that the accident report is available online for you to read, neglecting the need to 'think' about what happened?

Let me just say this, when the dust settled Niki visited Boeing in Seattle, where they told him the fault was technical in nature and totally absolved Lauda Air and the crew for any mistakes. Niki wanted Boeing to make that public knowledge, but Boeing wanted 'a couple of months' to square things off with their lawyers. Niki wouldn't have any of it, and said that if they didn't issue that statement, how about sending a 767 up over Seattle and deploy one of the T/R's?

A few hours later, Boeing issued the statement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E42NN1rU93o
Signature. You just read one.

zkojq

Wed May 22, 2019 5:02 pm

Keep in mind that, until two years ago, LaudaMotion was a business jets operator.
First to fly the 787-9

jeffh747

Wed May 22, 2019 5:30 pm

B777LRF wrote:
passyflyer wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:

You are aware, I believe, that the accident report is available online for you to read, neglecting the need to 'think' about what happened?

Let me just say this, when the dust settled Niki visited Boeing in Seattle, where they told him the fault was technical in nature and totally absolved Lauda Air and the crew for any mistakes. Niki wanted Boeing to make that public knowledge, but Boeing wanted 'a couple of months' to square things off with their lawyers. Niki wouldn't have any of it, and said that if they didn't issue that statement, how about sending a 767 up over Seattle and deploy one of the T/R's?

A few hours later, Boeing issued the statement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E42NN1rU93o

Thank you for sharing that video. Lauda’s reaction to that horrible crash is one of the best stories in aviation because of how genuine it is and how he personally cared about the victims’ families, not just the reputation of his company. I don’t think it is far fetched to consider him an icon in the aviation industry.
A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B