jetsetterusa
Topic Author

AA and the Philippines will it happen?

Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:34 pm

What do you all think? Do you think AA will start service to PH?
Crazy Day Tripper

910A

Re: AA and the Philippines will it happen?

Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:42 pm

Simple reply would be NO..

DXTraveler

Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:46 pm

No

Sooner787

Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:48 pm

Used to book corporate travel for Texas Instruments & their travelers
regularly commuted between DFW and MNL and always asked us if AA
would ever start nonstops ? Our answer was a definite maybe :)

tphuang

Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:50 pm

very unlikely, but JonNYC rumours do have a way of coming true.

filipinoavgeek

Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:52 pm

I seriously doubt it in the short-to-medium term. Simply because AA's Asia presence is fairly weak compared to say United or even Delta. Plus as far as I can tell, American's brand recognition isn't as great as those other two, which have had a presence here for years (albeit inherited from Continental and Northwest respectively). You're more likely to see a non-stop to Manila from either of the two than from American, who I guess could always rely on JL if they really needed that Manila passenger market.

With that said, rumor has it that PR nearly joined Oneworld a few years back (this was before MH joined; they were apparently sponsored by JL) though not sure why that fell through. These days though they seem to be leaning towards joining either Star or SkyTeam but they're taking their time deciding which one.

dfw88

Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:50 pm

The only way this could possibly happen is if PR joins Oneworld, though, as mentioned above, this looks unlikely these days. Even then, it still wouldn't make much sense. It would make far more sense for AA to codeshare on PR's flights and provide connectivity out of LAX and JFK (whatever remains of that hub). Which hub would they use to fly to MNL? From LAX they'd be competing with PR and from anywhere else, well that just wouldn't make sense.

I know jonnyc has a history of being right; he thinks this one is ridiculous and I agree with him.

winginit

Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:27 pm

Unlikely.

I do however expect that we'll see DL metal nonstop from the Mainland US (SEA or LAX) in the next few years once the fifth freedom from NRT is inevitably axed.

777PHX

Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:34 pm

LAX-MNL is almost as long as LAX-SYD is. A near ULH route with questionable yields? I don't see it happening.

mikejepp

Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:39 pm

Regarding the link, did Casablanca get announced??

jfk777

Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:00 pm

Manila is best served by filipino airlines, AA has no Business flying an ultra long haul low yield route. There are reasons United gave up those flights long ago soon after buying Pan Am's Asia division. Northwest flew there too, Delta gave up on Manila as well. Korean Air and others sell cheap seats to MNL via their hubs. This is a large niche market in a niche which is no very rewarding.

jaybird

Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:06 pm

American has bigger fish to fry before they go to the Philippines.

eamondzhang

Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:18 pm

A forum search is your good friend. Tons of topics about US-Philippines threads being discussed already.

Michael

JonNYC

Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:21 pm

dfw88 wrote:
...I know jonnyc has a history of being right; he thinks this one is ridiculous and I agree with him.

:D :bigthumbsup:

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:21 pm

Why though? They have JL, they have CX, heck, they even have MH to funnel their pax to MNL. Why bother sending their own metal to MNL?
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

burnsie28

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:22 am

jfk777 wrote:
Manila is best served by filipino airlines, AA has no Business flying an ultra long haul low yield route. There are reasons United gave up those flights long ago soon after buying Pan Am's Asia division. Northwest flew there too, Delta gave up on Manila as well. Korean Air and others sell cheap seats to MNL via their hubs. This is a large niche market in a niche which is no very rewarding.

You do realize that DL still flies to MNL right?

JonNYC

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:27 am

burnsie28 wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

HA! Sure doesn't sound like he knows that.

Airlines0613

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:37 am

No. IMHO, the most likely airline to launch a USA to Philippines flight would be UA, with a SFO-MNL flight.

Cointrin330

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:42 am

Absolutely not. And no on UA SFO to MNL either.

rbavfan

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:56 am

The CEO is too profit hungry to go for a very low yield VFR market.

airzona11

JL provides seamless connections from Tokyo. MNL would tie up very expensive resources. With the US3 now so large, they have a higher rate of return they have to earn on routes. Hence there are few marginal routes and don't go Hub to Hub or major city to major city. JVs fill in the rest.

nomorerjs

The fan clubs in CLT, PHL, and PHX will be disappointed that MNL won’t be their first Asian nonstop.

Not going to happen, even from DFW or LAX. MIA has a lot of MNL traffic, but yields that make AA ORD-China look good and we know how that worked out.

Airlines0613

Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:27 am

Cointrin330 wrote:
Absolutely not. And no on UA SFO to MNL either.

Never said they will, but just stated that they are the most probable/likely.

StudiodeKadent

Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:30 am

jetsetterusa wrote:
What do you all think? Do you think AA will start service to PH?

Unlikely. They could just codeshare with Philippine Airlines (which has low prices, new jets and apparently very good service) if they really wanted the Philippines market.

9w748capt

Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:34 am

Would seem far fetched to me but who knows. I would've thought TPE before MNL but there are so many Filipinos in SoCal, they would fill Y, but where would the high yield J pax come from?

EvanWSFO

Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:55 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Why though? They have JL, they have CX, heck, they even have MH to funnel their pax to MNL. Why bother sending their own metal to MNL?

I would not count on MH. KUL-MNL is a reasonably significant backtrack. JL and CX can get it done.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

zhiao

Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:56 am

JonNYC is completely overrated and probably the biggest disappointment to hit the road since the Ford pinto

Judge1310

Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:03 am

jfk777 wrote:

Let's not forget that UA still flies to MNL from GUM (Guam)...

USAirALB

Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:17 am

I understand that US-Philippines is mostly VFR Balikbayan traffic, but is that necessarily the case from the Asian POS?

I understand that SQ offers a F cabin on some of their MNL flights, and CX hasn’t yet moved MNL service to the lower-cost KA network, as they have with KUL.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

TheFlyingDisk

Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:25 am

EvanWSFO wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

I would not count on MH. KUL-MNL is a reasonably significant backtrack. JL and CX can get it done.

Not if it's routed eastbound via LHR though.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Ishrion

Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:27 am

zhiao wrote:
JonNYC is completely overrated and probably the biggest disappointment to hit the road since the Ford pinto

He has inside sources. He stated RAM would join OW months before they announced it.

He specifically had a tweet stating AA would start DFW-MUC/DUB, which they did.

There's other rumors that have come true. More will come.

Boof02671

Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:35 am

I would think you’d see ICN before MNL.

JonNYC

Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:38 am

Boof02671 wrote:
I would think you’d see ICN before MNL.

No doubt:
https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1108915111417315329

bhxalex

Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:15 am

Given they can't make ORD- Asia work, have the weakest Asian presence of the US3 and have no feed at MNL, I think this is 99% not happening, atleast not in the next 10 years. Competition from LAX and NYC would undercut them, DFW would make the most sense but it's still a very long flight, and one has to question how they could fill the front of the plane given the low yield nature of this market.

TheEuphorian

Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:47 am

never gonna happen.

filipinoavgeek

Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:15 am

Not sure if this is really the case, but I may have read elsewhere that AA actually does have traffic rights to the Philippines but since they don't bother using them, PAL uses those instead. Or I might be confusing that with Air Canada, I can't remember anymore, it's been a while since I read that.

jfk777

Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:30 am

Judge1310 wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

Guam is a different market just a few hours away. Continental used to love to brag how "Big" they were in the Pacific but it was total deception, the public used to think it was a large Pacific player from the mainland. My point is United does not fly to Manila from LAX, SFO or ORD.

jfk777

Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:36 am

burnsie28 wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

Thanks for pointing out Delta flies an A359 from Seattle, LAX, DTW, or Salt Lake City nonstop. Atlanta we have a problem, I can't find such a flights from any Delta city ? Do you mean they fly via Tokyo or Nagoya ? That is not a nonstop from the mainland or HNL, flying a tag from Japan is an old Northwest legacy route which will get cut if Delta moves there entire operation to Haneda, doubtful the Japanese will let DL operate a tag from HND.

twicearound

Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:56 am

jfk777 wrote:

How did DL give up on MNL?

EvanWSFO

Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:06 pm

jfk777 wrote:
burnsie28 wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

Thanks for pointing out Delta flies an A359 from Seattle, LAX, DTW, or Salt Lake City nonstop. Atlanta we have a problem, I can't find such a flights from any Delta city ? Do you mean they fly via Tokyo or Nagoya ? That is not a nonstop from the mainland or HNL, flying a tag from Japan is an old Northwest legacy route which will get cut if Delta moves there entire operation to Haneda, doubtful the Japanese will let DL operate a tag from HND.

You're splitting hairs. The do fly there. It's still a one stop flight for a lot of people.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

LurveBus

Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:52 pm

jfk777 wrote:
burnsie28 wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

And among all of the Northwest legacy routes that already got chopped, Manila and Singapore are still standing. It remains to be seen if DL will be granted enough rights to move their operations to HND.

In other news, I wonder where AA is thinking that it can fly from. PAL serves LAX and SFO with double-daily 77Ws, and even their yields are being hurt by the one-stop competition from Chinese airlines. The last US carrier to go head to head with PAL from the US is HA from HNL, and they didn’t last too long.

Of course, if PAL were about to join oneworld, this would be a totally different discussion. AA could potentially codeshare on an existing PAL flight. But still, with their own metal, it may be tough.

jumbojet

Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:41 pm

zhiao wrote:

A little harsh would you say? At any rate, I agree with most others and I believe JonNYC is way off base with this one. To low yielding a route for AA to even consider. AA doesnt gamble like UA does. AA has way to conservative an approach to destinations like this. It will never happen.

FSDan

Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:55 pm

If this were to happen, would it be included in the AA-JL JV? I don't remember the scope of the JV... If it would be part of the JV, the logical conclusion would appear to be that AA and JL are seeing a lot of connections flowing over NRT to MNL, and they think they can capture higher fares on a nonstop. I think LAX-MNL on the 789 would be the only logical option for AA to get into the Philippines market - I'm not sure their densely-configured 789s have the range for DFW-MNL, and the 77W seems like more capacity than they'd want.

At first glance, LAX-ICN does seem like a more logical option, but there's even more capacity in that market. Does AA prefer to go up against 2x daily PR 77Ws in LAX-MNL, or against 3x daily 388s (2x KE + 1x OZ) and a 359 (OZ) on LAX-ICN? Oh, the joys of having a TPAC hub at LAX...
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

FSDan

Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:59 pm

jumbojet wrote:
AA has way to conservative an approach to destinations like this. It will never happen.

The AA of 5-10 years ago? Sure.

I'm not sure I'd classify an airline that has recently launched flights to secondary intercontinental destinations such as GEO, PEI, COR, BLQ, BUD, and DBV as "conservative". AA has definitely been taking some risks as of late.

Judge1310

Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:16 pm

jfk777 wrote:
Judge1310 wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

Guam is a different market just a few hours away. Continental used to love to brag how "Big" they were in the Pacific but it was total deception, the public used to think it was a large Pacific player from the mainland. My point is United does not fly to Manila from LAX, SFO or ORD.

Umm, no that's not how it works, i.e. a blanket statement can't be thrown out there and then try to hold onto a "point" by back-tracking with a qualifier later -- it's okay to say "my bad, I *meant* to say MNL to the US Mainland..."

Now, back to the actual nature of the initial inquiry. The very nature of a low-yielding station such as MNL does not warrant resources for non-stop flights from the US Mainland. MNL is served quite fine from GUM. In fact, with two stops one has options:
Option 1: MNL-GUM-HNL-(SFO/LAX/DEN/ORD/IAH/IAD/EWR)
Option 2: MNL-GUM-NRT-(HNL/SFO/LAX/IAH/ORD/EWR/IAD)

Tack on a third stop and at least 95% of the UA network is available to MNL customers. However, it makes FAR more sense to funnel MNL customers through a Star Alliance partner into the UA network.

The fares that would make a MNL to the US Mainland flight be profitable (in comparison to many other route possibilities, mind you!) just cannot be extracted at this time. Thus, unless flying Philippines Airlines (with their huge local feed), it's a small chance (note that I didn't say 'zero') that MNL-US Mainland flights by US American carriers would materialise.

Devilfish

Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:27 pm

FSDan wrote:
I think LAX-MNL on the 789 would be the only logical option for AA to get into the Philippines market - I'm not sure their densely-configured 789s have the range for DFW-MNL, and the 77W seems like more capacity than they'd want.

There was a thread here sometime ago about UA possibly starting SEA-MNL...but an executive of the airline downplayed the idea in a linked report (can't find it now) in that thread. The 787 would be the rational choice, though it would need feed from AA's US network to fill the plane for a SEA-stationed MNL service to be profitable.

https://www.travelocity.com/lp/flight-r ... aa/sea/mnl
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

FSDan

Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:57 pm

Devilfish wrote:
There was a thread here sometime ago about UA possibly starting SEA-MNL...but an executive of the airline downplayed the idea in a linked report (can't find it now) in that thread. The 787 would be the rational choice, though it would need feed from AA's US network to fill the plane for a SEA-stationed MNL service to be profitable.

https://www.travelocity.com/lp/flight-r ... aa/sea/mnl

You must be thinking of either UA from SFO or DL from SEA... UA starting SEA-MNL would be a wild rumor indeed.

As far as one of the US3 starting service to MNL, it seems the most logical options would be:
  • DL SEA-MNL (Pros: no nonstop competition, shorter stage length, pretty good feed at SEA; Cons: smaller local market, DL may not have a perfect aircraft for the route)
  • UA SFO-MNL (Pros: big local market, great feed at SFO; Con: lots of capacity already in the market)
  • AA LAX-MNL (Pros: big local market, good feed at LAX; Con: lots of capacity already in the market)

A pro for any of the three above is that there are plenty of folks traveling from the West Coast to MNL. A con is that much of that traffic is very price-sensitive, and is OK taking a more circuitous routing and/or more stops in order to get a cheaper fare. We'll see what the airlines decide...

MIflyer12

Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:53 pm

FSDan wrote:
As far as one of the US3 starting service to MNL, it seems the most logical options would be:
  • DL SEA-MNL (Pros: no nonstop competition, shorter stage length, pretty good feed at SEA; Cons: smaller local market, DL may not have a perfect aircraft for the route)
  • UA SFO-MNL (Pros: big local market, great feed at SFO; Con: lots of capacity already in the market)
  • AA LAX-MNL (Pros: big local market, good feed at LAX; Con: lots of capacity already in the market)

A pro for any of the three above is that there are plenty of folks traveling from the West Coast to MNL. A con is that much of that traffic is very price-sensitive, and is OK taking a more circuitous routing and/or more stops in order to get a cheaper fare. We'll see what the airlines decide...

Good summary. As for DL, 777s (let alone 77Ls or 359s) certainly have the range but are pretty premium-heavy in the new 4-class 777 config: 28J/48W/90Y+/122Y

IMHO, DL will just let price-sensitive flyers go on KE-codeshares (via ICN) - or take another carrier. If they didn't think HKG was essential for the network they're not going to lose money for MNL.

MIflyer12

Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:12 pm

FSDan wrote:

Good summary. As for DL, 777s (let alone 77Ls or 359s) certainly have the range but are pretty premium-heavy in the new 4-class 777 config: 28J/48W/90Y+/122Y

IMHO, DL will just let price-sensitive flyers go on KE-codeshares (via ICN) - or take another carrier. If they didn't think HKG was essential for the network they're not going to lose money for MNL.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos