SCFlyer

Re: UA's presence in Seoul/Incheon?

Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:53 am

UA de-empathised on "international gateways" in favour of their hubs during their bankruptcy. "International Gateways" or "Focus Cities" were dismantled in favour of concentrating on UA's hubs during bankruptcy. This meant the point to point flying from the "International Gateways" of JFK, MIA (Latin America ops acquired from PA in the late 80s/early 90s), SEA and to a lesser extent BOS and EWR were moved to nearby hubs.

IIRC UA's JFK "international operations" during their final years was reduced to NRT and LHR, before the LHR slots were sold to DL. I can't recall what happened to the NRT-JFK route.

strfyr51

Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:34 am

One of the reasons UA flies SFO-ICN is due to the large US military presence in Seoul.. There's a market there just like Delta has a market there. But? Does Delta have an interline partner there? UA has Asiana..

n2dru

Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:39 am

strfyr51 wrote:
One of the reasons UA flies SFO-ICN is due to the large US military presence in Seoul.. There's a market there just like Delta has a market there. But? Does Delta have an interline partner there? UA has Asiana..

Delta has JV partner KE. Also some of DL's hubs have high O&D to ICN like ATL, SEA, LAX and JFK.

ronmk1986
Topic Author

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:40 am

LAXintl wrote:
United is not very close to OZ.

Matter of fact at ICN UA is ground handled by KE!

I guess it was true in the past, but I found UA now has their own ground staffs at ICN when I was taking UA 892 on 4th April.

I also agree with what you said about the relationship between UA and OZ, definitely not the same-level close relationship with NH and CA in Asia for UA.

TWA772LR

Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:33 am

strfyr51 wrote:

SFO-ICN is a large market in its own right. Plus even if UA didn't make money on it theyd still fly it to help maintain their position and image in the Pacific. It's break even or even a loss leader at worst.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

notconcerned

Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:53 am

TWA772LR wrote:
SFO-ICN is a large market in its own right. Plus even if UA didn't make money on it theyd still fly it to help maintain their position and image in the Pacific. It's break even or even a loss leader at worst.

I don't think US airlines do that anymore, most have been proactively cutting money-losing routes (e.g., DL SEA-HKG). But given the fact UA is going to 11x weekly should be indication that the route is profitable.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos