ronmk1986
Topic Author
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:56 am

Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:04 pm

Who are the main customer group that feeds VS’ only two Northeast Asian destinations (HKG and PVG)? Local business O&D from both sides?

Plus, how come VS’ LHR-HKG and LHR-PVG have still been in serivce but not LHR-TYO?
 
User avatar
OA940
Posts: 1887
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 6:18 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:40 pm

Virgin Australia flies HKG-SYD, so passengers can connect to that flight after the VS lands. It replaced their own HKG-SYD extension I think. Also there are 5 daily flights between LON and TYO compared to 3 daily and 3 weekly between LON and PVG (excluding VS) so that kinda explains why they don't fly to Tokyo. I do wish they would expand in Asia more though.
A350/CSeries = bae
 
Ryanair01
Posts: 427
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:27 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:23 pm

A few reasons I'd suggest.

There are still a lot of links between London and Hong Kong. Quite a few Hong Konger's resettled in London just before the hand over, so that creates visiting friends and family traffic. Also a lot of financial links with the City of London and Hong Kong (e.g. HSBC).

Shanghai just keeps growing as a market and Virgin are long established on the route. I was lucky enough to be at the launch many years ago and met SRB there.

By comparison Japan's economy has endured various crisis over the years and a lot of airlines have cut back service, sadly VS was one.
 
LH658
Posts: 1049
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:35 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:52 pm

LHR is a OneWorld hub, you have both JAL, and BA dominating the routes as well, then ANA after that, then after that all the one stop options.

Virgin's hub lacks many destinations, in my opinion. Their business model constantly changes which affects them.
 
Cedar
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:07 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:36 pm

LH658 wrote:
Virgin's hub lacks many destinations, in my opinion. Their business model constantly changes which affects them.



Bingo! - hit the nail on the head. VS has yet to decide who or what they want to be. Niche carrier, network carrier, strictly long haul, etc. etc.
They have struggled to find their place because they lack direction.

They now call themselves "The world's most loved travel company" - soooo, not an airline?

Their network is only focused on where DL (and now AF/KL) can benefit from.

Cedar
 
jfk777
Posts: 7001
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:23 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:02 pm

Since Delta took 49% share from Singapore Airlines, Virgin Atlantic has become Delta UK, just look at how many flights they have to Atlanta. Surprising they are launching flights to Brazil with a 787-9 from LHR. LHR to Singapore would be great route to Asia for them.
 
LAXLHR
Posts: 444
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:07 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:19 pm

Cedar wrote:
LH658 wrote:
Virgin's hub lacks many destinations, in my opinion. Their business model constantly changes which affects them.



Bingo! - hit the nail on the head. VS has yet to decide who or what they want to be. Niche carrier, network carrier, strictly long haul, etc. etc.
They have struggled to find their place because they lack direction.

They now call themselves "The world's most loved travel company" - soooo, not an airline?

Their network is only focused on where DL (and now AF/KL) can benefit from.

Cedar


VS has spent decades fighting BA, the LHR slot situation, and was repeatedly held back. There are numerous reasons beyond what you two mention...and those are not cut dry either. They had to duck and pivot constantly!.

Please show me the healthy second major international carrier at FRA? CDG? or AMS? the size of VS Exactly, LH, AF, KL are just not having it. That VS has survived is a miracle, and due primarily to the Virgin Group.

We owe more comfortable premium cabins to VS! There would be no Premium Economy if not for them.

The name is Virgin ATLANTIC... the North Atlantic has been their base, followed by other former UK commonwealth destinations. They tried to move into other business cities and had to fight BA.

It helps to know the FULL history of VS! Especially what BA did to them in the late 80s/early 90s...it continues albeit much more subtle.
BA IB ET JM EA GK PA VS AA SN HP CO W7 WN NW DL UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR WY MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN LO OK OZ UL SQ LA

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 332 333 342 343 380
 
User avatar
SCFlyer
Posts: 274
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:14 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:23 pm

OA940 wrote:
Virgin Australia flies HKG-SYD, so passengers can connect to that flight after the VS lands. It replaced their own HKG-SYD extension I think. Also there are 5 daily flights between LON and TYO compared to 3 daily and 3 weekly between LON and PVG (excluding VS) so that kinda explains why they don't fly to Tokyo. I do wish they would expand in Asia more though.


MEL-HKG was started by VA first before SYD-HKG. VS also codeshares on VA's domestic network in AU as well.

I'd suspect HKG would've been long chopped by DL/VS had it not been for the VA connection (seeing that DL/VA are TransPacific JV partners between LAX and East Coast AU).
 
jfk777
Posts: 7001
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:23 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:27 pm

Virgin needs to join the full Delta, Korean Air, KLM, Air France world, this would help them in since they could fly to Seoul. They still should fly to Tokyo, even with the JAL, ANA & BA flights, Virgin should find passengers for a 787-9 to Tokyo.
 
jfk777
Posts: 7001
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:23 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:29 pm

If the formula for future Virgin destinations is a strong Skyteam hub then Taipei and Mexico City should be future VS destinations.
 
User avatar
OA940
Posts: 1887
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 6:18 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:50 pm

SCFlyer wrote:
OA940 wrote:
Virgin Australia flies HKG-SYD, so passengers can connect to that flight after the VS lands. It replaced their own HKG-SYD extension I think. Also there are 5 daily flights between LON and TYO compared to 3 daily and 3 weekly between LON and PVG (excluding VS) so that kinda explains why they don't fly to Tokyo. I do wish they would expand in Asia more though.


MEL-HKG was started by VA first before SYD-HKG. VS also codeshares on VA's domestic network in AU as well.

I'd suspect HKG would've been long chopped by DL/VS had it not been for the VA connection (seeing that DL/VA are TransPacific JV partners between LAX and East Coast AU).


Huh. Didn't know VA flew MEL-HKG. It's always interesting to follow the world of Australian aviation. So just because I was theorising, did VS actually cut the HKG-SYD flight in favor of the VA codeshare or because of something else?

Sidenote, but, considering CX has 6 daily flights to London (5 on 777-300ERs) and BA 2, an A380 and a 77W, one has to wonder how much longer VS with its single daiy 789 can last.
A350/CSeries = bae
 
User avatar
SCFlyer
Posts: 274
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:14 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:57 pm

OA940 wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:
OA940 wrote:
Virgin Australia flies HKG-SYD, so passengers can connect to that flight after the VS lands. It replaced their own HKG-SYD extension I think. Also there are 5 daily flights between LON and TYO compared to 3 daily and 3 weekly between LON and PVG (excluding VS) so that kinda explains why they don't fly to Tokyo. I do wish they would expand in Asia more though.


MEL-HKG was started by VA first before SYD-HKG. VS also codeshares on VA's domestic network in AU as well.

I'd suspect HKG would've been long chopped by DL/VS had it not been for the VA connection (seeing that DL/VA are TransPacific JV partners between LAX and East Coast AU).


Huh. Didn't know VA flew MEL-HKG. It's always interesting to follow the world of Australian aviation. So just because I was theorising, did VS actually cut the HKG-SYD flight in favor of the VA codeshare or because of something else?

Sidenote, but, considering CX has 6 daily flights to London (5 on 777-300ERs) and BA 2, an A380 and a 77W, one has to wonder how much longer VS with its single daiy 789 can last.


VS at the time was flying the old A346s on the LHR-HKG-SYD sector. IIRC VS had twice daily flights between LHR-HKG (with 1 of the flights continuing to SYD). The LHR-HKG-SYD flight was later axed in mid 2014 citing fuel prices (and the use of the 'gas-guzzling' 4-engine A346s).

VA didn't come to HKG until 3 years later (2017) or thereabouts, originally with MEL-HKG on the A330 before starting SYD-HKG a few months later. It was then when VS 're-entered' the AU market via the VA codeshare.
 
User avatar
Aisak
Posts: 851
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:56 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:00 am

LH658 wrote:
Virgin's hub lacks many destinations, in my opinion. Their business model constantly changes which affects them.


Right now I wouldn’t call LHR or LGW a hub for Virgin Atlantic but more like their main bases.

As I see a hub, a passenger lands from VS xxx to catch a connecting flight VS yyy. When thousands of people do that, the place can be a “hub” for VS. Even if counting all the passengers using a VS codeshare it would be hard to account for a high number of people transiting at LHR on solely VS services.

And as you say the recent change in strategy (DL era) makes it even more difficult as the core of VS flights only fly west. I think VS has never been more “Atlantic”

Setting a franchise contract with Connect airways to sell their flights as VS could help... but their hub operation is tiny. (Not their overal operation though)
 
hz747300
Posts: 2368
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:38 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:34 am

OA940 wrote:
Virgin Australia flies HKG-SYD, so passengers can connect to that flight after the VS lands. It replaced their own HKG-SYD extension I think. Also there are 5 daily flights between LON and TYO compared to 3 daily and 3 weekly between LON and PVG (excluding VS) so that kinda explains why they don't fly to Tokyo. I do wish they would expand in Asia more though.


Virgin Australia also fly HKG-MEL too. However, I think people fly Virgin because the party starts when you board. I will say that they have great fares in all classes going to London from HKG, but taking them does not help me with status on CX and I'm a slave to Marco Polo. But for people who don't fly often, it's a pretty good choice, HKG-LHR r/t for ~HK$4k.
Keep on truckin'...
 
gunnerman
Posts: 873
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:58 am

VS flights to HKG used to terminate there and passengers bound for SYD would connect onto Ansett who operated the route with aircraft such 763s, 743s and 744s. AN went bust in 2001 and VS in 2004 extended LHR-HKG to SYD but axed HKG-SYD in 2014.
 
ITSTours
Posts: 409
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:51 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:34 am

If VS gets a Haneda slot then surely they will fly Tokyo. I'm pretty much sure UK will get at least one of the HND slots. Will it go to BA or VS? I'll bet on VS.
 
FromCDGtoSYD
Posts: 312
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:29 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:50 am

jfk777 wrote:
Since Delta took 49% share from Singapore Airlines, Virgin Atlantic has become Delta UK, just look at how many flights they have to Atlanta.


Dont they only have like... 2 flights to ATL though?
 
NW
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:37 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:05 am

FromCDGtoSYD wrote:
jfk777 wrote:
Since Delta took 49% share from Singapore Airlines, Virgin Atlantic has become Delta UK, just look at how many flights they have to Atlanta.


Dont they only have like... 2 flights to ATL though?


Only one operated by VS.
 
smi0006
Posts: 2271
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:59 am

SCFlyer wrote:
OA940 wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:

MEL-HKG was started by VA first before SYD-HKG. VS also codeshares on VA's domestic network in AU as well.

I'd suspect HKG would've been long chopped by DL/VS had it not been for the VA connection (seeing that DL/VA are TransPacific JV partners between LAX and East Coast AU).


Huh. Didn't know VA flew MEL-HKG. It's always interesting to follow the world of Australian aviation. So just because I was theorising, did VS actually cut the HKG-SYD flight in favor of the VA codeshare or because of something else?

Sidenote, but, considering CX has 6 daily flights to London (5 on 777-300ERs) and BA 2, an A380 and a 77W, one has to wonder how much longer VS with its single daiy 789 can last.


VS at the time was flying the old A346s on the LHR-HKG-SYD sector. IIRC VS had twice daily flights between LHR-HKG (with 1 of the flights continuing to SYD). The LHR-HKG-SYD flight was later axed in mid 2014 citing fuel prices (and the use of the 'gas-guzzling' 4-engine A346s).

VA didn't come to HKG until 3 years later (2017) or thereabouts, originally with MEL-HKG on the A330 before starting SYD-HKG a few months later. It was then when VS 're-entered' the AU market via the VA codeshare.


I wonder how much traffic goes from VA to VS in HKG? It’s just a codeshare not JV. I would have thought most of the VA traffic to LHR and the EU would have gone on EY and SQ- both owners of VA. Most VA connecting traffic at HKG would connect onto the HU. From the LHR side maybe south bound there is traffic?
 
SeanM1997
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:27 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:57 am

Virgin Atlantic destinations on non-US/Caribbean routes are there to either serve connections to USA or they have large codeshares to feed connections. Its the reason Dubai has been dropped as no connections and doesn't need a US feed:

Lagos - feeds US traffic
Johannesburg - feeds US traffic
Delhi - feeds US traffic/Jet Airways codeshare
Hong Kong - Virgin Australia codeshare
Shanghai - Air China codeshare
Tel Aviv - feeds US traffic
Sao Paulo - Gol! codeshare

Whilst Tokyo is a large market, they may want a codeshare partner before starting the route
 
ronmk1986
Topic Author
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:56 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:09 am

SeanM1997 wrote:
Virgin Atlantic destinations on non-US/Caribbean routes are there to either serve connections to USA or they have large codeshares to feed connections. Its the reason Dubai has been dropped as no connections and doesn't need a US feed:

Lagos - feeds US traffic
Johannesburg - feeds US traffic
Delhi - feeds US traffic/Jet Airways codeshare
Hong Kong - Virgin Australia codeshare
Shanghai - Air China codeshare
Tel Aviv - feeds US traffic
Sao Paulo - Gol! codeshare

Whilst Tokyo is a large market, they may want a codeshare partner before starting the route


I did not know Virgin Atlantic codeshares with Air China. That may explain why Virgin Atlantic does not have PEK-LHR flight.
 
jfk777
Posts: 7001
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:23 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:53 am

NW wrote:
FromCDGtoSYD wrote:
jfk777 wrote:
Since Delta took 49% share from Singapore Airlines, Virgin Atlantic has become Delta UK, just look at how many flights they have to Atlanta.


Dont they only have like... 2 flights to ATL though?


Only one operated by VS.


How likely is it that Virgin would fly to ATL without Delta ? Very Unlikely.
 
c933103
Posts: 3812
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:09 am

LAXLHR wrote:
Please show me the healthy second major international carrier at FRA? CDG? or AMS? the size of VS Exactly, LH, AF, KL are just not having it.

HX at HKG, OZ at ICN, BI at TPE, NH at NRT, HO at PVG, 5J at MNL?
That VS has survived is a miracle, and due primarily to the Virgin Group.

I don't think Virgin Group have made very significant contribution to VS that would make VS impossible to survive without?
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.
 
LH658
Posts: 1049
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:35 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:13 pm

If they really wanted to make LOS work more successful they would add IAH, India route, is also supported by the community in the UK as it massive, and also business traffic between the two countries.

Virgin had to fight BA, and it still does, though when BA and AA teamed up it was pretty much game over in my opinion for Virgin. Though their US operation seems successful, though I wish they would keep consistent with other Virgin brands, making a ultimate Virgin brand across the board. Now Virgin America is gone, the next step is to try to to compete with Qantas on Perth to London route, will benefit VA, and VX.

Be nice to see Virgin add BLR, BOM, SIN, CGK, CMB, MCT, IAH, ACC, KHI, BKK, HND, and also some European destinations.
 
User avatar
GCT64
Posts: 1716
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:34 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:41 pm

ronmk1986 wrote:
Who are the main customer group that feeds VS’ only two Northeast Asian destinations (HKG and PVG)? Local business O&D from both sides?
Plus, how come VS’ LHR-HKG and LHR-PVG have still been in serivce but not LHR-TYO?


Most of the previous answers went somewhat "off piste". I believe you have the main answer in your original comment, on both routes O&D business and leisure traffic is the primary driver (with CA codeshare helping fill the PVG flight). London is the largest O&D market in the world and LON-HKG is a massive O&D route.
Flown in: A20N,A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..56 more types..),VC10,WESX
 
User avatar
hongkongflyer
Posts: 688
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:23 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:57 am

smi0006 wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:
OA940 wrote:

Huh. Didn't know VA flew MEL-HKG. It's always interesting to follow the world of Australian aviation. So just because I was theorising, did VS actually cut the HKG-SYD flight in favor of the VA codeshare or because of something else?

Sidenote, but, considering CX has 6 daily flights to London (5 on 777-300ERs) and BA 2, an A380 and a 77W, one has to wonder how much longer VS with its single daiy 789 can last.


VS at the time was flying the old A346s on the LHR-HKG-SYD sector. IIRC VS had twice daily flights between LHR-HKG (with 1 of the flights continuing to SYD). The LHR-HKG-SYD flight was later axed in mid 2014 citing fuel prices (and the use of the 'gas-guzzling' 4-engine A346s).

VA didn't come to HKG until 3 years later (2017) or thereabouts, originally with MEL-HKG on the A330 before starting SYD-HKG a few months later. It was then when VS 're-entered' the AU market via the VA codeshare.


I wonder how much traffic goes from VA to VS in HKG? It’s just a codeshare not JV. I would have thought most of the VA traffic to LHR and the EU would have gone on EY and SQ- both owners of VA. Most VA connecting traffic at HKG would connect onto the HU. From the LHR side maybe south bound there is traffic?


Last year there was plan for VS to terminal their HKG and replace by the codeshare services with HX. But HX's expansion plan had halted nowadays....
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12424
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:54 am

SCFlyer wrote:
I'd suspect HKG would've been long chopped by DL/VS had it not been for the VA connection (seeing that DL/VA are TransPacific JV partners between LAX and East Coast AU).

Quite the stretch, seeing as the two arrangements have absolutely nothing to do with each other.


jfk777 wrote:
They still should fly to Tokyo

....because ______?


jfk777 wrote:
NW wrote:
FromCDGtoSYD wrote:
Dont they only have like... 2 flights to ATL though?

Only one operated by VS.

How likely is it that Virgin would fly to ATL without Delta ? Very Unlikely.

Yes, they fly a single daily flight to a partner's main hub for connections... that's kinda the industry norm.
Why are you presenting that as if it were something to be admonished?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
Ryanair01
Posts: 427
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:27 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:43 am

SCFlyer wrote:
OA940 wrote:
Virgin Australia flies HKG-SYD, so passengers can connect to that flight after the VS lands. It replaced their own HKG-SYD extension I think. Also there are 5 daily flights between LON and TYO compared to 3 daily and 3 weekly between LON and PVG (excluding VS) so that kinda explains why they don't fly to Tokyo. I do wish they would expand in Asia more though.


MEL-HKG was started by VA first before SYD-HKG. VS also codeshares on VA's domestic network in AU as well.

I'd suspect HKG would've been long chopped by DL/VS had it not been for the VA connection (seeing that DL/VA are TransPacific JV partners between LAX and East Coast AU).


The presence of VS and VA in HKG is not really related.

VA flies there because one of their major shareholders is HNA, who own Hong Kong Airlines. Hong Kong Airlines can't fly to Australia because Cathay Pacific has all of the available Hong Kong side capacity used under the bilateral. Australia had spare capacity under the bilateral, so VA flies the SYD/MEL routes, but they are essentially flag of convenience services for HNA and marketed almost solely by HNA.

VS flies there because of the significant links between London and Hong Kong which stem from the colonial era and that both are major financial centres.

There is some limited interlining between VS and VA, but from what I've observed first hand not very much.
 
anstar
Posts: 3135
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:49 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:13 am

Tokyo was dropped because the majority of passengers were originating in NRT and at the time that had no strategic value to VS. So I presume the HKG and PVG routes have a fair share of ex UK traffic who value those destinations in the VS network.
 
cragley
Posts: 397
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:09 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:25 am

I flew MEL HKG MEL last week with VA on the A330. Extremely cheap fare (AUD470 rt) but the service and aircraft were very poor, not comparable to their US service.
Both flights were full with no spare seats.

The A330 is just very tired, but the crew tried their best.
 
AAMDanny
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:06 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:37 am

If VS managed to obtain HND slots rather than the NRT slots they had, they might still be operating the route, back when the operated NRT they code-shared with ANA - ANA being Star Alliance and DL being SkyTeam I imagine DL quickly quashed that route. Before DL came along VS tried long and hard to obtain a HND slot pairing but it was never successful. Not sure how much truth there is but apparently they was offered HND slots on the condition that they continued to operate in to HND which was not commercially or financially viable.

Moving on to LHR-HKG-SYD - Another reason for dropping the HKG-SYD add on was the total route took up x3 A346's - where they could have had better fleet utilisation with just operating the LHR-HKG without the continuation to SYD. And use the third aircraft that was free'ed up for operating a round trip to somewhere else - which back then may had been ATL or an extra JFK.
 
Caluma350
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:32 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:38 am

I believe that VS was happily operating to Tokyo (NRT) over the years however the Japanese gov wanted them to operate daily flights to both NRT and HND and VS was unwilling to do so therefore they cut the rout completely. The Delta connection probably also had something to do with it.

The BA-VS competition had benefited both companies as they constantly attempt to out do one another on quality and service which had made them 2 of the best long haul carries in Europe. The service you receive from BA-VS is great and when you compared it to a carrier such as Air France which has no major long haul carrier competitor it is clear to see why their service leaves a lot to be desired!
 
Boeing74741R
Posts: 1161
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:44 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:26 pm

LH658 wrote:
If they really wanted to make LOS work more successful they would add IAH, India route, is also supported by the community in the UK as it massive, and also business traffic between the two countries.

Virgin had to fight BA, and it still does, though when BA and AA teamed up it was pretty much game over in my opinion for Virgin. Though their US operation seems successful, though I wish they would keep consistent with other Virgin brands, making a ultimate Virgin brand across the board. Now Virgin America is gone, the next step is to try to to compete with Qantas on Perth to London route, will benefit VA, and VX.

Be nice to see Virgin add BLR, BOM, SIN, CGK, CMB, MCT, IAH, ACC, KHI, BKK, HND, and also some European destinations.


Out of those destinations, BOM and ACC (and Tokyo at NRT) were previously served by VS and since dropped. SIN was probably possible to serve via codesharing during the days of 49% SQ ownership, but now I'd say that market is well served by BA, QF and SQ plus one-stop options with others such as the ME3.

I'm not sure if directly re-entering the Australian market by launching their own LHR-PER service is the best thing to do at this time. They might be better pursuing other opportunities such as the recently-announced GRU route (which admittedly caught me by surprise even though South America has been a glaring omission for years) or expanding further from MAN.

As for European destinations, that will come once Flybe is further integrated into the VS fold.
 
TC957
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:32 pm

Caluma350 wrote:
I believe that VS was happily operating to Tokyo (NRT) over the years however the Japanese gov wanted them to operate daily flights to both NRT and HND and VS was unwilling to do so therefore they cut the rout completely. The Delta connection probably also had something to do with it.

The BA-VS competition had benefited both companies as they constantly attempt to out do one another on quality and service which had made them 2 of the best long haul carries in Europe. The service you receive from BA-VS is great and when you compared it to a carrier such as Air France which has no major long haul carrier competitor it is clear to see why their service leaves a lot to be desired!

The main reason NRT was killed off was the big delays to VS receiving their 789's. NRT was penciled in as one of the first 789 destinations. That and the HND access issue. NRT was big for cargo for VS and the 346's were stuffed to the max with it every time I watched it get loaded up there.
Passenger numbers are booming from UK to Japan and I hope VS restore the flight before the Olympics next year.
 
User avatar
chunhimlai
Posts: 446
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:03 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:03 pm

OA940 wrote:
Virgin Australia flies HKG-SYD, so passengers can connect to that flight after the VS lands. It replaced their own HKG-SYD extension I think. Also there are 5 daily flights between LON and TYO compared to 3 daily and 3 weekly between LON and PVG (excluding VS) so that kinda explains why they don't fly to Tokyo. I do wish they would expand in Asia more though.


No.VS cancel HKG-SYD leg far before VA start SYD-HKG
 
User avatar
OA940
Posts: 1887
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 6:18 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:52 pm

chunhimlai wrote:
OA940 wrote:
Virgin Australia flies HKG-SYD, so passengers can connect to that flight after the VS lands. It replaced their own HKG-SYD extension I think. Also there are 5 daily flights between LON and TYO compared to 3 daily and 3 weekly between LON and PVG (excluding VS) so that kinda explains why they don't fly to Tokyo. I do wish they would expand in Asia more though.


No.VS cancel HKG-SYD leg far before VA start SYD-HKG


Yeah people explained that to me above. My bad lol. Still the HKG route is no doubt helped by VA.
A350/CSeries = bae
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2774
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:26 pm

Ryanair01 wrote:
VA flies there because one of their major shareholders is HNA, who own Hong Kong Airlines. Hong Kong Airlines can't fly to Australia because Cathay Pacific has all of the available Hong Kong side capacity used under the bilateral. Australia had spare capacity under the bilateral, so VA flies the SYD/MEL routes, but they are essentially flag of convenience services for HNA and marketed almost solely by HNA.


Not really 100% true. There are no capacity left for primary markets like SYD/MEL/BNE, but HX can still fly to Australia. HX used to fly a HKG-CNS-OOL-HKG rotation (It may have been the other way), but dropped that route last year IIRC.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!
 
LH658
Posts: 1049
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:35 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic’s Northeast Asian routes

Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:18 pm

Boeing74741R wrote:
LH658 wrote:
If they really wanted to make LOS work more successful they would add IAH, India route, is also supported by the community in the UK as it massive, and also business traffic between the two countries.

Virgin had to fight BA, and it still does, though when BA and AA teamed up it was pretty much game over in my opinion for Virgin. Though their US operation seems successful, though I wish they would keep consistent with other Virgin brands, making a ultimate Virgin brand across the board. Now Virgin America is gone, the next step is to try to to compete with Qantas on Perth to London route, will benefit VA, and VX.

Be nice to see Virgin add BLR, BOM, SIN, CGK, CMB, MCT, IAH, ACC, KHI, BKK, HND, and also some European destinations.


Out of those destinations, BOM and ACC (and Tokyo at NRT) were previously served by VS and since dropped. SIN was probably possible to serve via codesharing during the days of 49% SQ ownership, but now I'd say that market is well served by BA, QF and SQ plus one-stop options with others such as the ME3.

I'm not sure if directly re-entering the Australian market by launching their own LHR-PER service is the best thing to do at this time. They might be better pursuing other opportunities such as the recently-announced GRU route (which admittedly caught me by surprise even though South America has been a glaring omission for years) or expanding further from MAN.

As for European destinations, that will come once Flybe is further integrated into the VS fold.


If QF making a killing on this route why not allow Virgin join, plus they have Virgin Australia on the other side to help the feed.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos