Rivet42

Re: BA plane flies to Scotland by mistake, should have been Germany

Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:43 pm

vfw614 wrote:
PS: If I am not mistaken, other than the WDL 146s, there is only one 146 left in Europe that is operated as a commercial passenger aircraft (JOTA's G-SMLA)

You are very much mistaken.

Have you not heard of Air France Cityjet? They have 11 in service, and there are another 10 still operating for BRA in Sweden...

More around than you might think!

Riv'
I travel, therefore I am.

vfw614

Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:57 pm

Those are Avro RJ85/100s.

As far as BAe 146 are concerned, WDL has three and JOTA has one in passenger configuration. That's it

SheikhDjibouti

Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:15 pm

vfw614 wrote:

As far as BAe 146 are concerned, WDL has three and JOTA has one in passenger configuration. That's it

You mean like this RJ85?

Or to give it it's full name - British Aerospace Avro 146-RJ85 :scratchchin:

Nothing to see here; move along please.

readytotaxi
Topic Author

Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:02 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47710152

"Ryanair trolling of British Airways' mistake backfires", well yes, it's fair game to have a go at your competitor, look at Coke and Pepsi but it seems that Ryanair might have scored an own goal. on Twitter.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Gr8Circle

Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:15 pm

scbriml wrote:
NYPECO wrote:
How does a passenger sense which direction they're flying when there's complete cloud cover?

Well, mainly clear blue skies over the UK today. But even with cloud cover, there's that big orange ball in the sky. :sun:

I think you are expecting too much of a.net behaviour from ordinary passengers who don't care a damn about aviation other than getting from point A to point B....and most regular passengers lower their window shades when that big orange ball shines into their face, they don't try to figure out if they are going in the right direction....

Rivet42

Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:16 pm

vfw614 wrote:

Putting new engines on a 146 and calling it an Avro RJ doesn't stop it being a 146.

But it seems you meant the original variants, in which case, yes, they are now few and far between.
I travel, therefore I am.

ELBOB

Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:59 pm

Gr8Circle wrote:
....and most regular passengers lower their window shades when that big orange ball shines into their face, they don't try to figure out if they are going in the right direction....

And why should they? The guys up front get paid 70k+ per year each to worry about that.

And what do you think the passengers should do if they DO think they're going in the wrong direction? In detail, please.

FredrikHAD

Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:30 pm

ELBOB wrote:
And what do you think the passengers should do if they DO think they're going in the wrong direction? In detail, please.

How about going old style and actually have a conversation with a fellow passenger, mentioning the oddity in going due north for quite some time when east would be the more apparent route? But in this day and age actually talking to people is considered odd. I think anyone with a sense of direction would feel it was odd and, if brave enough to risk being corrected by the FA, raise the question to them. I sure would, but only after quite some time as a route sometimes is not very direct in the first stage of the flight. After an hour? Certainly!

I think the fact that there were only 5 pax meant that there simply wasn’t anyone with the interest or knowledge to determine that there was a problem.

If the pilots had noticed half-way, could they have turned back after ATC approval or is the flight plan non-negotiable (unless a diverstion is needed)? Could it be that they noticed after, say, one half hour and just had to keep going?

/Fredrik

BA777FO

Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:33 pm

vfw614 wrote:
The aircraft was operated by WDL. I suppose the relevant paperwork for the flight, i.e. instructions where to fly, was provided by BACF, so in that sense the flight may have been operated by BACF.

No, everything was done by WDL - BACF simply asked them to fly certain routes at certain times on their behalf, WDL do the rest.

MSJYOP28Apilot

Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:59 am

Flight planners and dispatchers don't program flights into the software they use. Flight plan and dispatch release filing and paperwork are all done electronically. This kind of mistake would be in whoever loaded the flight into the system. This could either be a marketing or IT programming issue. It could also be that WDL management believed this contract was for a LCY-EDI flight.

Pilots fly what is on their paperwork. If they were doing a quick turn, the pilots may not even walk into the gate area. The weird thing is that pilots typically are given their work schedule well in advance. If they were originally scheduled to fly LCY-DUS and the paperwork showed LCY-EDI this would cause pilots to start making phone calls to see what was going on.

vfw614

Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:23 pm

Rivet42 wrote:
vfw614 wrote:

Putting new engines on a 146 and calling it an Avro RJ doesn't stop it being a 146.

But it seems you meant the original variants, in which case, yes, they are now few and far between.

Indeed. As I was referring to aviation enthusiasts, for those a 747-200 and a 747-400 are not just "747s", given the stampede to Iran to catch the last flying 747-200s. Or, for that matter, 737-200 vs. 737-500, A330-300 vs. A330-900. They (us?) are called anoraks for a reason ;-)

As to my earlier elaborations about five passengers on board, the quote in the press I was referring to has since been retracted. Apparently there were 61 passengers on board which is good for BA - five would be a horrendous load (although I have been on early morning lfights from LCY to DUS in the past that struggled to make a two-digit passenger load).

debonair

Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:56 am

Despite this mishap and PR disaster, BA seems to rely on the service of WDL:

http://thebasource.com/wdl-aviation-bae ... ations-13/

Lilienthal

Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:16 am

764 wrote:
OA940 wrote:
They got an extra flight on the Jumbolino out of this, so I'd say overall it's a positive :lol:

Although I believe WDL flies it in the high density 3-3 config....

I've been on D-AMGL last autumn when they were wet-leasing for Easy. Total shitbox.... The cabin looked like it was from the late 90s, maybe very early 2000s. Extremely cramped, small seats, no legroom. I'm actually surprised BA is making their London City customers fly that thing.

cougar15

Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:35 pm

CNN with Richard Quest picked up on it, although one could argue about the style of the clip!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL_l_fsiCKo
some you lose, others you can´t win!

Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:41 pm

Lilienthal wrote:
764 wrote:
OA940 wrote:
They got an extra flight on the Jumbolino out of this, so I'd say overall it's a positive :lol:

Although I believe WDL flies it in the high density 3-3 config....

I've been on D-AMGL last autumn when they were wet-leasing for Easy. Total shitbox.... The cabin looked like it was from the late 90s, maybe very early 2000s. Extremely cramped, small seats, no legroom. I'm actually surprised BA is making their London City customers fly that thing.

As am I. I have actually been wanting to try BA 1 (the 318 service between JFK and LCY) for a while now, but since the connection is more often than not a WDL aircraft, I have been avoiding it and have mostly taken DL through ATL or straight to FRA to hop on a train.

Etheereal

Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:08 pm

miegapele wrote:
Most probably didn't notice, because they didn't bother to look or care.
Whose who noticed are probably avid a.net readers. So they remember all the threads about cabin crew being always right, no matter what the circumstances are and didn't want to get federal charges for not following crew orders :)

..Federal charges in UK? Right
JetBuddy wrote:
"737 slides off the runway" is the new "Florida man"..

:lol:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos