ronmk1986
Topic Author

Lufthansa’s upcoming route change in Osaka

Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:07 pm

LH is shifting their service in KIX, from FRA to MUC, starting from 31st March.

Anyone knows why LH is changing their route in KIX?

Plus, which market mostly drives LH in KIX? Connecting traffic from KIX to Europe via Germany (or vice versa), or business+leasure O&D in KIX-FRA (soon to be KIX-MUC)?

GianiDC

Re: Lufthansa’s upcoming route change in Osaka

Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:30 pm

LH is not happy with Fraport, operator of FRA, hence they are nowadays focussing more on MUC. They based some A380s there and the new A350s. My guess is that KIX relys highly on connecting traffic so there isn´t much difference for pax but surely LH is eager to show Fraport that FRA is not so important as they think they are for LH.

terrificturk

Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:40 pm

GianiDC wrote:
LH is not happy with Fraport, operator of FRA, hence they are nowadays focussing more on MUC. They based some A380s there and the new A350s.

The A350s were always meant to go to MUC in their majority, as they were bought for replacing A340s, as well as starting new routes not shifted from FRA.
In addition, savvy travellers prefer MUC over FRA as a connecting airport, so connex traffic was an added factor.

LH658

Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:07 pm

I heard Frankfurt is getting some new amazing lounge, I am not sure if this for Lufthansa or other airlines.

k89

Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:24 pm

Other than the A380 move to MUC, and KIX being ended at FRA, I honestly don't see too much happening to Lufthansa at FRA. Most of the intercontinental routes LH offers will stay at FRA. There are also a bunch of regional routes operated from FRA that will stay. At the end of the day, FRA is still an very important hub for Lufthansa and very few destinations over the years have been cut. There's no way FRA will get major cuts beside the A380 moving by Lufthansa.

787X30

Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:54 pm

GianiDC wrote:
... show Fraport that FRA is not so important as they think they are for LH.

Not so important as in: we're able to bind an A350's load of pax to LH of our decade-long 744-service when relocating to MUC, hah!

In another theory, KIX has been suffering connecting pax to HND, and now is equipment being right-sized. (Nice boost for BA...)

CRJ900

Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:06 pm

Could it be that Munich is a big tourist destination in itself (plus the Alps nearby) as well as a business destination so that yield potential is just bigger from MUC than FRA?
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

c933103

Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:17 pm

I have read comments fearing it would reduce amount/convenience of viable one-stop routing from KIX to Europe
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.

trijetsonly

Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:10 am

I've read somewhere that the plan is to route the Asian connections more via MUC and the American connections more via FRA.
The rerouting of KIX backs that up.
Happy Landings

A321Lufthansa

Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:03 am

LH658 wrote:
I heard Frankfurt is getting some new amazing lounge, I am not sure if this for Lufthansa or other airlines.

Where exactly? Now both FRA and MUC have lack of Prioirity Pass lounges in LH terminals. If in FRA there is a LuxxLounge outside the transit area, in T2 MUC there is completely nothing.
Last flown aircrafts: A320 OE-LBL < A320 OE-LBU < A319 OE-LDE < A320 OE-LBZ < A320 D-AIPL < A319 D-AIBA < E190 HB-JVL < A320 HB-IJR < A321 VP-BKQ < A321 VP-BAV < A320 HB-JLP < BCS3 HB-JCB < A319 D-AILF < A320 D-AIPM

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos