Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Topic Author

DL rebrand in the works ? (Going more purple?)

Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:26 pm

OK, I just noticed a few interesting things recently:

- every once in a while you see Delta trying experimental versions of their web site for "certain customers" for brief amounts of time. Usually these are small changes (such as allowing you to select upgrades to Comfort+ for window or aisle seats only, for example). But a while back, I was treated to a very different layout on one visit (and never again - wish I had taken a screen shot). I hated it because a lot of information I want to see (like the aircraft type) could only be seen by clicking on an individual flight, waiting for all of the big pictures of food and Delta One seats to load and then scrolling all the way down and clicking on another link that would finally show aircraft type, seats map and mileage. But aside from the complete lack of usability, that site also featured a new color palette. DL's dark blue was still there, but the red was almost completely gone and many of the options had varying shades of purple (or plum or whatever you may call it). Notably most of the colors weren't solid, they sort of flowed from one shade to another within the same field.
- The help desks in ATL are no longer signed in red either, but in green. No big deal, maybe, but they also show the flowing effect I just saw in the purples on the web site.
- Obviously the uniforms are now "plum"

So I've been wondering (fearing, maybe) that these might be hints at a complete rebrand. I have no idea why Delta would want to do that, but they have clearly made some curious changes.

Just speculation, of course.

jetmatt777

Re: DL rebrand in the works ? (Going more purple?)

Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:35 pm

Slightly off topic but it seems to be a growing trend for web design to incorporate a ton of empty space and hiding information. I hate it. I prefer compact design with plenty of information; even if it isn’t as attractive.

We just had a redesign of our travel page at my company, and between all of the empty space and useless styling it makes it hard to compare flights because only 5-6 options appear on a page without having to scroll down. The old one had more info, and less styling and you could see close to a dozen options at once.

micstatic

Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:43 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
Slightly off topic but it seems to be a growing trend for web design to incorporate a ton of empty space and hiding information. I hate it. I prefer compact design with plenty of information; even if it isn’t as attractive.

We just had a redesign of our travel page at my company, and between all of the empty space and useless styling it makes it hard to compare flights because only 5-6 options appear on a page without having to scroll down. The old one had more info, and less styling and you could see close to a dozen options at once.

I'm with you. I prefer to concise less empty space approach. I hate the new designs out there. I'm also not a fan of the plum color. Feels like somebody has told delta and united that plum is a good color that will entice people to spend more.
S340,DH8,AT7,CR2/7,E135/45/170/190,319,320,717,732,733,734,735,737,738,744,752,762,763,764,772,M80,M90

CMH2578

Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:02 pm

The updated purchasing pages correspond with their new branded boarding process.

https://news.delta.com/boarding-simplified-delta-extends-branded-fares-boarding-order-launches-color-palette-tie-it-all

psa188

Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:12 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:

You can thank smartphones for that. I agree with you, website design sucks big time. It is because it is not worth the effort to have a good website designed for large monitors and a crappy site for the phones.

flyboy80

Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:09 pm

I think Delta's livery is perfectly fine and can easily stand the test of time with rebranding elements as they develop, but of the US3, their interior concepts is the most unattractive aesthetically speaking. The blue they use on their seat covers doesn't age well and reminds me of public transportation. I find United and American's cabins to be so much more pleasant in terms of color tone. A while back Delta tried mood lighting with a "super blue" intense lighting which was rolled back not long ago because it was migraine inducing, was very unpleasant. And while Delta does operate some of the more updated airplanes versus competitors, for some reason they always seem both dirtier and more worn.

Cointrin330

Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:25 pm

flyboy80 wrote:
I think Delta's livery is perfectly fine and can easily stand the test of time with rebranding elements as they develop, but of the US3, their interior concepts is the most unattractive aesthetically speaking. The blue they use on their seat covers doesn't age well and reminds me of public transportation. I find United and American's cabins to be so much more pleasant in terms of color tone. A while back Delta tried mood lighting with a "super blue" intense lighting which was rolled back not long ago because it was migraine inducing, was very unpleasant. And while Delta does operate some of the more updated airplanes versus competitors, for some reason they always seem both dirtier and more worn.

Agreed. Delta's cabin interiors are consistent, and I've found on my flights with them (I don't fly them all that often any more) the cabin condition is generally consistent. That said, I do think AA and UA have more modern feeling cabins, particularly those sporting the new interiors in all cabins.

GatorClark

Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:10 pm

As a DL employee, I can tell you this though it isn't much. If they are undergoing a rebranding, or new paint scheme, or whatever you want to call it, they haven't said a single word to us. Nothing in our company emails, nothing on the company TV channel, not a peep. Though some of us, at my station at least, are indeed speculating that a new paint scheme is coming about with how much the new uniforms clash with the navy blue, white & NW red.

micstatic

Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:52 pm

i really like their current livery. I think it's close to timeless. They don't need a new livery. They just need to get rid of the plum uniforms. Heck if they are looking for something to improve, my suggestion would be to shorten the time they take to get new movies.
S340,DH8,AT7,CR2/7,E135/45/170/190,319,320,717,732,733,734,735,737,738,744,752,762,763,764,772,M80,M90

LawAndOrder

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:23 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
flyboy80 wrote:

Agreed. Delta's cabin interiors are consistent, and I've found on my flights with them (I don't fly them all that often any more) the cabin condition is generally consistent. That said, I do think AA and UA have more modern feeling cabins, particularly those sporting the new interiors in all cabins.

Delta’s domestic 757 interior look more modern than many if not all new deliveries from UA and AA. Yes the blue in the cabin Isnt particular striking but from an overall cabin, monuments and seat design (first comfort plus) I think DL holds their own. DL lead the pack with interior redesign. it’s about time for them to start the next cycle. Hopefully Interesting times ahead .

intotheair

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:30 pm

flyboy80 wrote:

I think the seat design for Comfort+ is pretty good, though it feels a little underwhelming on the F seats, and the main cabin seats couldn't look more boring. I think the small pops of color and accenting on UA and AA really make their cabins stand out.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

flyboy80

Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:49 am

The Delta domestic 757 is miserable. If your in comfort plus your lucky to get overhead bin space. If your in the main cabin your squeezed super tight. Delta was the first airline to densify their fleet despite everyone is giving American so much flack about their project oasis. Delta put 199 seats on the 752. The pivot bins are a nice look but they slow down boarding. Delta is terrible about enforcing carry on rules, constantly people bringing on 3 bags etc I’ve noticed and it takes the flight attendants a good amount of time to get all those pivot bins pushed up and closed. In fact they actually ask on the PA for customers to help close the bins.

LAXLHR

Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:02 am

flyboy80 wrote:

DL's livery has aged (well, not as fresh). BA's can and does stand the test of time along with a few others.. DL's was great when it first came out, but there is just something sort of bland about it now. Not LH, IB bland, but ...hmmm, it needs a slight refresh. Something along the lines of what CX did would work well.

I still dislike DL, but we all love a good "fresh" livery on any carrier :-)
BA IB ET JM EA GK PA VS AA SN HP CO W7 WN NW DL UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR WY MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN LO OK OZ UL SQ LA

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 330s 340s 350 380

dredgy

Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:12 am

jetmatt777 wrote:

It’s a design failure called “false simplicity” whereas by making things look more simple, you end up making them more complex to use. It’s far too common these days, especially in web design.

jfklganyc

Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:20 am

Hate the new uniform colors.

The red was much nicer

i was also puzzled by the plum

777Mech

Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:26 am

flyboy80 wrote:
The Delta domestic 757 is miserable. If your in comfort plus your lucky to get overhead bin space. If your in the main cabin your squeezed super tight. Delta was the first airline to densify their fleet despite everyone is giving American so much flack about their project oasis. Delta put 199 seats on the 752. The pivot bins are a nice look but they slow down boarding. Delta is terrible about enforcing carry on rules, constantly people bringing on 3 bags etc I’ve noticed and it takes the flight attendants a good amount of time to get all those pivot bins pushed up and closed. In fact they actually ask on the PA for customers to help close the bins.

How are you running out of bin space in comfort when you're boarding before Sky Priority? I've had zero issues with it.

freakyrat

Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:26 am

jfklganyc wrote:

The red was much nicer

I got to see them on a flight from DFW to SLC after they were introduced. I kinda like them.

khinstorff

Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:45 am

Maybe DL is using a brand refresh to signify their true separation from the pack. Wouldn’t be the worst thing. While everything else may be different from UA and AA, their brand sure isn’t.

skyblu

Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:58 am

Cointrin330 wrote:
flyboy80 wrote:

I think their interiors are nice but the seats remind me of a dentist chair for some reason.

braniff2hav

Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:18 am

I believe that people are more into recognizing signage with colors, hence the green you see in ATL. It stands out better in a sea of red and blue. It catches the eye quicker when you really need a representative.

I personally love the plum, it's a game changer for appearance and style in the US airline industry. In discussion with travelers, airline professionals and some in fashion they notice this change and it is seen as a step up to bring class and style to the brand, particularly overseas.

Are there other colors coming? Who knows, but look what United is doing with its color tones.

Just seems like society catches on to colors and images instead of words these days. Its a 'thing' and marketing/advertises/graphics people likely have more insight on this in general.

questions

Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:37 am

Sadly, the Delta widget is the first problem. The 3D widget inflight has never worked. They made a good choice moving from the red and blue widget to the all red widget. However, they should have used the dark red on the lower portion and the bright red on the upper portion.

The widget turned sideways is cutesy and the concept was dated when rolled out. Thevwidget should always be presented upright.

The second problem is the dull livery. Bad choice of dingy white. The shape of the blue belly is awkward. The tail... see above. The titling is too small.

Historically, the color palette of Delta’s uniforms have not always matched the corporate branding. But hey, it was the 70’s! LOL The Alessi service items align with efforts to make the Delta brand exude a contemporary, modern flair. The Zac Posen uniforms sync with that element of the brand DNA. The new Sky Club designs attempt it. However all three are out of sync with the rest of Delta’s aged branding elements — including the widget design, livery and corporate color palette.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Delta refreshes key elements of its branding in the next three years.

DarthLobster

Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:51 am

First DL now UA. Why is everyone all of a sudden obsessed with purple?!?

flyboy80

Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:20 pm

I thought a few years ago Delta did experiment with a new type of paint? I was told it could only be noticed if viewed in direct sun light.

24Whiskey

Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:45 pm

flyboy80 wrote:
I thought a few years ago Delta did experiment with a new type of paint? I was told it could only be noticed if viewed in direct sun light.

From what I heard it was the same metallic paint that Virgin Atlantic uses. The red metallic is pretty striking in the sun but I don't think the blue popped as well and wasn't worth the extra cost.

Polot

Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:48 pm

24Whiskey wrote:
flyboy80 wrote:

From what I heard it was the same metallic paint that Virgin Atlantic uses. The red metallic is pretty striking in the sun but I don't think the blue popped as well and wasn't worth the extra cost.

Was that metallic paint just on that one 757? I don’t recall hearing if they decided to adopt it or if the metallic idea was dropped. It’s really hard to tell (both in person and by photos).

Coalways

Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:30 pm

On the UA app everyday they change the city display in the back ground and they all have hues of purple in them. Curious of UA new livery next month will include purple.

flyboy80

Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:48 pm

I think the purple shades are too trendy to include prominently in any livery, Delta or United. Purple (as well as other colors/ patterns) can be added to uniforms, interiors, signage, branding elements and be continuously refreshed/disposed of for much cheaper than painting an entire fleet.

FF630

Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:55 pm

Who cares about colors, uniforms, etc.
Just get me there on time in a safe and clean plane, at the least cost in a comfortable seat (lol) with friendly service throughout the journey. If there is a screw up take care of my rebooking quickly. Fortunately, I am a 2 million miler so I am treated well if there is a screw up but everyone should receive efficient service.

LAX772LR

Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:19 pm

FF630 wrote:
Who cares about colors, uniforms, etc.

Their customers. Or so they believe... because they spend major money on branding and consistency.

It's also one of the reasons you won't see heritage (full) liveries on DL to anywhere near the extent of their competitors, perhaps most notably AA and BA. :(
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

NWADTWE16

Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:22 am

I love the new plum uniforms and compliment the agents and especially FA's whenever I first saw them. very professional look. This has me excited actually that DL will finally liven up their livery, which as stated above , has become bland. At the very least add some splash to the plane, and for gods sake increase the size of the carrier name on the fuselage! I never understood why you'd have a multi million dollar billboard and then write your name so tiny. It honestly makes DL look silly compared to other carriers all over the world.
I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list!

CarlosSi

Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:33 am

I’m surprised there aren’t any black seats, when talking about hard product; those usually look nice. That or beige that Southwest used to have.

The paint scheme is barely over 10 years old; can’t anything stick for another 10? It takes quite a few years to repaint entire fleets, consider how huge they’ve become after mergers and expansion. 5 years or less of repainting, another 15 or 20 of keeping that identity.

EA CO AS

Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:17 am

DL has spent a lot of time, money, and painstaking detail in establishing their identity. I'd be SHOCKED if the livery, logo, or wordmark were to change within the next decade.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

1836Sam

Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:27 am

jfklganyc wrote:

The red was much nicer

x2

Previous uniforms much better. The red was very distinctive.

KGRB

Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:29 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

The red was much nicer

1836Sam wrote:

I'm puzzled as to why people are lamenting the loss of red from the Delta uniform. Red still plays a prominent, if not larger, part of the new uniform. It was the navy blue that was ditched, not the red.
First flight: NW DC-10 MKE-MSP December 1996
Most recent flight: DL/9E CRJ-900 LGA-MSN January 2020

N649DL

Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:33 pm

I'm not sure if they're doing a full on rebranding or if it's just a tweaking of the soft product pallet. For instance, the gate areas are now all white with the red widget for the most part. And of course they put the "DELTA" livery on the bottom of new planes now but it's not consistent yet.

winginit

Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:10 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
DL has spent a lot of time, money, and painstaking detail in establishing their identity. I'd be SHOCKED if the livery, logo, or wordmark were to change within the next decade.

I agree with this. Whether individuals like it or not, Delta in my mind has the most consistent brand identity across their product and service offerings whether it's a seat or a club or a cabin interior. That in and of itself is to be admired given the lottery that you can encounter with just about any other U.S. carrier.

Bricktop

Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:17 pm

Purple? WOW!

LawAndOrder

Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:56 pm

1836Sam wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

The red was much nicer

x2

Literally only one group could wear the red dress. Flight attendants who wore dresses. Delta has other workgroups that never wore the red. Now Delra actually has more red as female supervisors wear complete red outfits. You just no longer see it inflight. It was very inconsistent

OzarkD9S

Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:35 pm

LAX772LR wrote:

It's also one of the reasons you won't see heritage (full) liveries on DL to anywhere near the extent of their competitors, perhaps most notably AA and BA. :(

You don't see them at all, do you know of a partial heritage livery? Just curious.
Next up: STL DEN PSP DEN STL

Sooner787

Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:13 pm

Only tweak I'd make to Delta's livery is change the titles to billboard size,
or at least larger font like the 359's.
Last edited by Sooner787 on Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AntonioMartin

Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:13 pm

flyboy80 wrote:

I think it's boring...

They should bring back the widget and stick with it 4eva.

And I hope they won't change their name!!!

LAX772LR

Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:08 am

OzarkD9S wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

You don't see them at all, do you know of a partial heritage livery? Just curious.

Excluding the Breast Cancer and Habitat specials, as they aren't "heritage" in any real way.... the only one that I know to fly post-2007 branding, was the Comair 30th Anniversary livery on N695CA, that continued until 2009ish or so.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

OccupiedLav

Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:49 am

In my opinion, Delta has one of the best liveries out there. I've loved it since I first saw it. The shape of the blue belly, the shades of red, it's magnificent. I'd be pretty upset if they changed it. They've built a great brand image with the one they have now, so why mess it up? If they make any change at all, it should be putting the widget on the winglets fleet wide, like on the A350.

SkyVoice

Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:06 am

The worst thing about the plum uniforms is that when they get wrinkled, they become prunes!
"Tough times never last. Tough people do." - Dr. Robert H. Schuller

intotheair

Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:52 am

I know this sounds silly, but I always thought there were some remarkable similarities between the current DL and former PMUA schemes:

bold logotype with wide spacing
white top with navy belly
navy engines
oversized, stylized logo on the tail

Both are classics, and both have/had the potential to last for many decades to come. At least Delta will be able to enjoy this look for quite some time...
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos