Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

glideslope900
Topic Author

SW 737MAX returns to MCO after engine failure during repositioning flight

Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:20 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnew ... roblem.amp

Only the pilots onboard. Probably unrelated to any of the publicized issues. Most likely just a freak coincidence.
Last edited by atcsundevil on Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edited for clarity

IWMBH

Re: SW 737MAX returns to MCO after engine failure during repo.

Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:22 pm

Already discussed.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1418585&start=200

There was a separate topic for it, but it was closed.

ukoverlander

Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:27 am

While unlikely to be related (given it's an engine problem) it's still not at all good for Boeing. This probably would not even make the news under normal circumstances but it becomes another "737 MAX 8 EMERGENCY" banner crawling across the bottom of the news screen all day. This just ferments in the the mind of 'Joe Public' that the Boeing's 737 Max is a "dangerous aircraft" and that perception once established can be hard to shake off.

indcwby

Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:36 am

A319, A320, A330, A340, B717, B727, B737, B747, B757, B767, B777, CRJ7, DC10, MD88, MD11, E145, E175
"Always remember that you fly an airplane with your head, not your hands."

dopplerd

Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:43 am

To all the breathless coverage of this engine issue on cable news please see this list:
http://avherald.com/h?search_term=Engin ... earch.y=21

Lrockeagle

Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:18 am

Someone remind me, didn’t the DC-10 suffer greatly due to a rash of incidents that destroyed public perception? That and ETOPS twins
Lrockeagle
15 years ago

I got $20 says AA takes their 787's with GE powerplants. Just a hunch. Any takers?

Pontius

Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:22 am

This site is Airliners.net, is it not? In airline parlance a "repo" flight is universally understood to be one without passengers, for the purposes of aircraft positioning. The tone around this site is getting stranger, and I'm really struggling with it.

CO953

Re: SW 737MAX returns to MCO after engine failure during repositioning flight

Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:25 am

This sure doesn't help.

I've been outside installing a water pump, and my mother, who knows enough about planes as the Easter Bunny does about flying the Space Shuttle, just came outside and told me that "another one of 'those' planes broke down because it 'overheated.'"

We can discuss technology all we want, but it's too easy to forget that there's a vast flying public out there who doesn't know much about planes except if there's a "bad plane" on the news they will spread the word.

Bad timing. I suppose that Boeing had better put today's exact scenario on the simulator right away, but have the plane flying out of hot and high. Check out how the new algorithms react, and stuff.

Airlines0613

Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:50 am

Thanks.

Anyways, this is totally unrelated to the MCAS, but I doubt people will have the logic to relize.

A320FlyGuy

Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:56 am

Lrockeagle wrote:
Someone remind me, didn’t the DC-10 suffer greatly due to a rash of incidents that destroyed public perception? That and ETOPS twins

It did indeed.

After American 191, that was the final nail in the coffin for the DC-10s reputation in the eyes of the public. The very public crash, despite being caused by maintenance added to an already negative aircraft reputation. McDonnell Douglas never really regained traction with its wide body product line and the introduction of the A300/A310 and later on the 767 really destroyed the market. Combined with the severe over-estimation of the MD-11s range, MD lost a lot of airline customers as well it’s engineering reputation.

If memory serves, MD did create a major PR campaign starring a former Apollo astronaut to try and extols the virtues of the DC-10. It didn’t matter. The damage was done. The MD-80 carried the company along and into the 90s, but the failure of the company to create a true A300/767 type aircraft led to the death of the company. As my grandfather always said “innovate or perish”.
My other car is an A320-200

maint123

Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:00 am

In maintainance, having one type of failure is considered better than unconnected failures in the same equipment. Normally this happens in old worn out equipment where different parts give out. The reliability of max is now under serious question.

glideslope900
Topic Author

Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:04 am

maint123 wrote:
In maintainance, having one type of failure is considered better than unconnected failures in the same equipment. Normally this happens in old worn out equipment where different parts give out. The reliability of max is now under serious question.

New engines have failed before haven’t they? All new designs have some issues. I don’t think this is a concern for people who have aviation knowledge. The uneducated flying public however will see this as further evidence of MAX being unsafe.

Etheereal

Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:20 am

maint123 wrote:

Then both the 787 and A32N reliabilities are under serious question since their engines failed as well?

ikolkyo

Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:21 am

maint123 wrote:

Hope any aircraft powered by the GTF is on that list also.

CO953

Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:32 am

glideslope900 wrote:
maint123 wrote:

New engines have failed before haven’t they? All new designs have some issues. I don’t think this is a concern for people who have aviation knowledge. The uneducated flying public however will see this as further evidence of MAX being unsafe.

I don't follow as close as some, but isn't there a rash of engine failures going on right now in the global industry - with very-new engines?

What are the chances that a very-new engine would fail on a ferry flight, considering that there weren't many ferry flights to be done?

The MAX "can't win for losing," as my pop would have said....
Last edited by CO953 on Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

SierraPacific

Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:43 am

I think that this is more of a case unfortunate timing rather than something wrong with the MAX. Engine failures happen every day and are handled safely by experienced crews worldwide and this was no different. The only reason this even hit the news cycle is because any story about the max are easy revenue.

Go on Avherald and see how many engine failures there are worldwide or any other mechanical diversions and this story simply becomes trivial

PS I am not a Boeing fanboy whatsoever
Last edited by SierraPacific on Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

gregorous

Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:44 am

A320FlyGuy wrote:
If memory serves, MD did create a major PR campaign starring a former Apollo astronaut to try and extols the virtues of the DC-10. It didn’t matter. The damage was done. The MD-80 carried the company along and into the 90s, but the failure of the company to create a true A300/767 type aircraft led to the death of the company. As my grandfather always said “innovate or perish”.

I still find it interesting that the (obviously cancelled) MD-12 concept paintings sure as heck look pretty close to what we got with the A380.

gregorous

Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:45 am

That being said, although crazy stuff occasionally happens, Boeing really doesn't need to be any more in the news right now.

MSPNWA

Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:48 am

This is when the press does the public a huge disservice. Not even a news story. Unfortunately the public isn't wise enough to know better.

PlanesNTrains

Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:51 am

This is in the news because the news decided to put it there. The news put it there because they make money off of viewership and clicks. People click when they see a dramatic headline. The headline of this incident is bolstered by drawing people attention to the unrelated MCAS stories. People in the public casually viewing see it as an indictment of the max. Industry insiders see it as unrelated. A.net sees it as just another way to point out how Boeing is screwed in the public eye - even though it’s unrelated - but news clicks. And repeat.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

maint123

Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:08 am

Etheereal wrote:
maint123 wrote:

Then both the 787 and A32N reliabilities are under serious question since their engines failed as well?

The GE engines in NEO have failed more than 100 times in the last couple of years. It's a death trap in my view. Either airlines discard these GE engines or the plane. Since when has taking risks become fashionable in the aviation industry.?

zkojq

Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:41 am

maint123 wrote:
Etheereal wrote:
maint123 wrote:

The GE engines in NEO have failed more than 100 times in the last couple of years. It's a death trap in my view. Either airlines discard these GE engines or the plane. Since when has taking risks become fashionable in the aviation industry.?

For a flying deathtrap, the A320neo has killed a remarkably low number of its passengers and crew.
I'd love to see a source on that 100IFSD figure.
First to fly the 787-9

PlanesNTrains

Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:09 am

zkojq wrote:
maint123 wrote:
Etheereal wrote:

For a flying deathtrap, the A320neo has killed a remarkably low number of its passengers and crew.
I'd love to see a source on that 100IFSD figure.

Exactly. As long as the pilots are able to keep the plane from impacting the ground, there’s not a problem. It only counts as a danger if someone dies. #Hindsight20/20
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

A320FlyGuy

Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:26 am

[photoid][/photoid]
maint123 wrote:
Etheereal wrote:
maint123 wrote:

There is no GE engine on the NEO.

The engine is made by CFM International, a completely separate company from GE. And what information makes you think the A320neo is a death trap? It hasn’t crashed due to bad engineering and a lack of disclosure...it operates reliably, efficiently and profitably for the airlines that use it. I would put my family in an A320 long before I would put them in a 737MAX.

DL717

Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:43 am

maint123 wrote:

Airbus must have special engines then. Damn those crappy CFM engines on the Boeing compared to those superior CFM engines on the Neo. And those blasted GTFs. Well, those are really special having had no problems at all! :banghead:

maint123 wrote:
Since when has taking risks become fashionable in the aviation industry.?

Since day one. It’s a machine. Machines break.
Last edited by DL717 on Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

Jouhou

Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:49 am

It was in the air for only ~10 minutes. Bird strike?
情報

DL717

Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:51 am

Jouhou wrote:
It was in the air for only ~10 minutes. Bird strike?

Engine fart.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

LASlaugh

Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:51 am

A320FlyGuy wrote:

The engine is made by CFM International, a completely separate company from GE. And what information makes you think the A320neo is a death trap? It hasn’t crashed due to bad engineering and a lack of disclosure...it operates reliably, efficiently and profitably for the airlines that use it. I would put my family in an A320 long before I would put them in a 737MAX.

CFM is a joint venture between GE and Safran.

The CFM Leap is used on both Airbus and Boeing narrowbodies, but it's the PW option that has a far greater failure rate than the CFM on the Neo (too early to tell if it equally affects other airframes).

Granted the reliability of that engine is improving, but how can you say it operates reliably and profitably when several airlines had grounded their Neos not too long ago due to excessive failures?

Is mortality the only measure of safety and reliability around here?

Veigar

Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:09 am

maint123 wrote:
Since when has taking risks become fashionable in the aviation industry.?

LOL. Safety above all else. It is the early 1900s and someone decides absolute safety over innovations, we would be stuck on long hunks of metal that float over the ocean for several weeks. Let's not even get started on the "risks" associated with operating a cruise ship. To add to this, without risks, where would innovation have gone?

A320FlyGuy

Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:11 am

LASlaugh wrote:
A320FlyGuy wrote:

CFM is a joint venture between GE and Safran.

The CFM Leap is used on both Airbus and Boeing narrowbodies, but it's the PW option that has a far greater failure rate than the CFM on the Neo (too early to tell if it equally affects other airframes).

Granted the reliability of that engine is improving, but how can you say it operates reliably and profitably when several airlines had grounded their Neos not too long ago due to excessive failures?

Is mortality the only measure of safety and reliability around here?

It’s a joint venture, but calling it a GE engine is incorrect - the CFM56/LEAP share very little with any other GE commercial engine (and yes, I know that the engine core was derived from the F101 engine).

The applications for the LEAP are well known - however the comment that was made about the “GE” powered aircraft being deathtraps is not only misinformed, but it is also incorrect. The PurePower GTF is what is dragging down the A320neo dispatch reliability. The LEAP has been introduced to service with relatively few issues.

Additionally, in the world of Airbus, CFM engines are indicated by the number 1 (A320-211) or 5 if it is a LEAP. Generally Electric engines are indicated by a 0.

MrBren

Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:14 am

This is unrelated to the previous crashes but will deepen the mistrust for sure. I will never board a MAX.

1989worstyear

Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:25 am

ukoverlander wrote:
While unlikely to be related (given it's an engine problem) it's still not at all good for Boeing. This probably would not even make the news under normal circumstances but it becomes another "737 MAX 8 EMERGENCY" banner crawling across the bottom of the news screen all day. This just ferments in the the mind of 'Joe Public' that the Boeing's 737 Max is a "dangerous aircraft" and that perception once established can be hard to shake off.

Yep - the media's goal is to get the most clicks; details be damned! It's like the Sum Ting Wong gaffe without the racist connotations :banghead:
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...

77H

Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:28 am

CO953 wrote:
glideslope900 wrote:
maint123 wrote:

I don't follow as close as some, but isn't there a rash of engine failures going on right now in the global industry - with very-new engines?

What are the chances that a very-new engine would fail on a ferry flight, considering that there weren't many ferry flights to be done?

The MAX "can't win for losing," as my pop would have said....

Are you talking about MAX ferry flights specifically or ferry flights in general? Because airlines operate hundreds of ferry flights a day. Most new deliveries are ferry flights unless the airline is holding a press or employee event. Beyond that there are operational repo ferries (positioning an aircraft to another airport where it’s needed for operational reasons) and maintenance ferries (where the aircraft if ferried to/from a maintenance location).

If I remember correctly a UA 763 coming off maintenance in HKG suffered an engine failure enroute to HNL just last year. I believe the damage was so bad they had to do an engine swap delaying the aircraft’s return to service for several weeks. Though granted, the 767 is not a new aircraft.

77H

maint123

Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:30 am

[list=][/list]Sorry guys wrote GE instead of PW. It's the PW engines which have failed more than 100 times in the 320 neo in less than 2 years. The CFM engines are doing ok. My point was regarding the culture of air safety being compromised for fuel efficiency. Never a good idea in passanger planes.
But these engine failures don't have much to do with airbus as the customer chooses the engines. Its totally the particular countries decision to fly the PW fitted 320s or not. After 100 engine failures, I wouldn't.

travatl

Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:53 am

Agreed, my point was simply comparative in nature to show hysteria. They'll fix this possible design flaw, and we'll be flying on 737 MAX version for 25+ years.
1 Interview. 24 years. 3 Airlines.

Carlos01

Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:32 am

CO953 wrote:
This sure doesn't help.

I've been outside installing a water pump, and my mother, who knows enough about planes as the Easter Bunny does about flying the Space Shuttle, just came outside and told me that "another one of 'those' planes broke down because it 'overheated.'"

Indeed. I was alerted this morning by my wife that another one of those Boeings had again done a crash landing - and we're not flying with a Boeing to our vacation next week are we?

To a majority of the general public the difference between a Boeing 737-8MAX and Boeing 747-400 is similar to a difference between an iPhone 8S Rose 64GB and an iPhone 8S Gold 128GB.

And reminds me of one business trip last year, where I was standing behind an airport window with a female colleague, looking at the planes taxiing by. I noted that "hey, see, there's one of those new Airbus A350s". She said she doesn't see a difference with that and any other plane out there - other than the paintjob seems to be fresh. There were various A330s, and A320s out there.

Also another colleague I fly a lot with, doesn't know what I'm talking about when I talk about A320 or A340, or even a narrowbody or widebody. For her there are "Lufthansa" and "Swiss" and maybe "Emirates" planes.

So yes, coming back to this one, based on the screaming headlines, for the general public this was a third crash for Boeing within a month.

PM

Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:44 am

SW don't have any 737s. I think you mean WN.

TWA302

Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:40 pm

PM wrote:

Thanks for your valuable input. I think 99.99999% of us know which airline this is.

Tiger119

Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:59 pm

I'm just curious where the airlines are keeping their fleets of the MAX. WN has them at VCV, what about the other North American carriers, AA, UA, AM, AC, and WS? My sources might be off with the figures, but 110 have been delivered so far to AA, WN, UA, AM, WS, and AC, and AS has 32 ordered but none delivered yet. In Europe, it looks like the TUI group have had some deliveries, one source tells me 14 and another source says 9. We don't know which of the six airlines get the MAX in the TUI Group, but they are all grounded regardless. Ryanair ordered 135 but my peeps are saying they have had no deliveries yet. Again, my sources could have been told wrong.
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

LDRA

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:33 am

Analogy would be car broke down, called tow truck. Tow truck hooked up, then broke down also midway to mechanics

WayexTDI

Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:53 am

LDRA wrote:
Analogy would be car broke down, called tow truck. Tow truck hooked up, then broke down also midway to mechanics

I've seen that: a heavy tow truck towing a smaller tow truck towing a pick-up truck. That was hilarious.

Jouhou

Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:39 am

Curious if anyone's heard anything more about this. I want to know if this is as mundane as I think it is.
情報

flyiguy

Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:05 am

Pilots reported performance issues in the #1 engine during accent. Plane returned to the field. Upon arrival FOD was ingested into the #1 on approach. Plane landed and is at the SWA MCO hangar and will be for a while until a replacement Leap engine can be brought in to swap out. Problem is there aren’t many around to begin with so I will be quite sometime until 8712 is airborne again.

FLY
The opinions I post are of mine and mine alone, not of the airline I work for.

PM

Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:14 am

TWA302 wrote:
PM wrote:

Thanks for your valuable input. I think 99.99999% of us know which airline this is.

:rotfl:

People probably also know what you mean if you write it's and not its. Or say disinterested when you mean uninterested. Or write would of and not would have...

Maybe it's old-fashioned to think that being accurate and correct matters any more.

O tempora o mores!

PW100

Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:01 am

flyiguy wrote:
Pilots reported performance issues in the #1 engine during accent. Plane returned to the field. Upon arrival FOD was ingested into the #1 on approach. Plane landed and is at the SWA MCO hangar and will be for a while until a replacement Leap engine can be brought in to swap out.
Problem is there aren’t many around to begin with so I will be quite sometime until 8712 is airborne again.

FLY

One would expect that SWA has a fairly decent pool of spare engines currently at VCV (albeit attached to airframes).
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

Coronado990

Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:07 am

"Maybe it's old-fashioned to think that being accurate and correct matters any more.

O tempora o mores!

I would think it would be part of the aviation safety culture to be accurate and correct. Maybe it's cool to be sloppy these days. I sure notice it in driving skills.
Cornucopia

OB1504

Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:19 pm

flyiguy wrote:
Pilots reported performance issues in the #1 engine during accent. Plane returned to the field. Upon arrival FOD was ingested into the #1 on approach. Plane landed and is at the SWA MCO hangar and will be for a while until a replacement Leap engine can be brought in to swap out. Problem is there aren’t many around to begin with so I will be quite sometime until 8712 is airborne again.

FLY

So there were already issues with the engine prior to the FOD ingestion?

Given that the 737 MAX fleet might be stored at VCV for some time to come, could WN pull an engine off of one of those airplanes in the meantime?

PM wrote:
TWA302 wrote:
PM wrote:

People probably also know what you mean if you write it's and not its. Or say disinterested when you mean uninterested. Or write would of and not would have...

Maybe it's old-fashioned to think that being accurate and correct matters any more.

O tempora o mores!

You can correct someone without being condescending about it.

litz

Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:21 pm

flyiguy wrote:

FLY

At this point, they may as well just store it where it is, unless a new engine can be sourced fairly quickly.

PM

Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:22 am

OB1504 wrote:
flyiguy wrote:

FLY

So there were already issues with the engine prior to the FOD ingestion?

Given that the 737 MAX fleet might be stored at VCV for some time to come, could WN pull an engine off of one of those airplanes in the meantime?

PM wrote:
TWA302 wrote:

O tempora o mores!

You can correct someone without being condescending about it.

Yeah. But it's much more fun to be condescending! :wave:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos