Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Begues

Re: Why Are Bus Boardings so Common in Europe and so Rare in the USA?

Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:52 pm

garcan wrote:
rida79 wrote:
Begues wrote:

Lack of jetway operators. To be able to operate a jetway, you need to do some training, that cost money, this is outsourced to cheapest bidder packaged together with a bunch of other airport services. The bidder only train the minimum amount required so when people are sick, there is no one to replace them. This is a problem with a lot of airport services that require some form of training.

that's unfortunate!

That's not the reason. There are many reasons why an airbridge might be empty. The fact that there are some empty airbridges when a flight arrives, doesn't mean that there are no flights planned for those airbridges. Flights arriving later might be planned for those airbridges.

Also there are some other reasons like the aircraft going to maintenance, airbridge not operational, etc

It is one of the reasons and it is more common than you think, I have seen it with my own eyes working for an airport service company. Jetbridge operators are baked in with a suite of services because it is not profitable, they usually wear several hats for this reason. So a service company bid for a package of services to provide for, some of which are profitable, some of which are not, the non profitable services are run at a bare minimum and break down the moment a few employees call in sick and there are no extra personel to call in, lack of redundancy in these companies (due to cost) mean you get 3rd world level services every time the manpower is stretched.

One example, during rush hour the domestic terminal at my airport had 2 people operating the jetbridges instead of the usual 3, this resulted in huge delays for the airline while the 2 operators ran around like mad simply beacuse there was no redundancy in the service company (again lowest bidder outsourcing).

What ends up happening is these service companies run for a few years, go bankrupt, are replaced by new service companies that run for a few years before they go bankrupt, rinse and repeat, an endless conveyor belt of service companies providing substandard airport services due to outsourcing to lowest bidder companies that run on fumes and have cero headroom.

tlecam

Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:55 pm

I have no idea why it's more common outside the US. It does happen sometimes in the US, notably at JFK. It will likely become more common at BOS Terminal E this summer.

I do enjoy it - I find that at some airports (CDG, FRA), it's often faster than disembarking through the jet bridge, because the bus often drops you off in a more convenient location.

My most recent experience was at CDG, connecting off an AF flight from Boston to an Etihad flight. Both arrived at a remote stand and departed from a remote stand in Paris. Had a 2 hour connection and plenty of time. I've had some very long walks through CDG, so I didn't mind it.

My most memorable experience was a connection at MUC, returning to the US. The plane was actually at a gate, but my arriving flight was late. LH put us in an SUV and drove us to the BOS flight. We boarded and they shut the door right behind us. Saw some interesting parts of MUC - was underground for part of it.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

blink182

Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:58 pm

mxaxai wrote:
konkret wrote:
A
Btw. What I don’t understand is why the stairs don’t always offer protection from the rain. It is super frustrating when you are getting wet while standing in line to board the aircraft.

I think the uncovered stairs are cheaper, and you don't need covers for every occasion (e. g. when using them for cleaning & maintenance access). Most EU airports have some stairs with a roof, so you only need to walk a few steps in the rain; from the bus to the stairs. Sometimes a friendly FA will cover that gap with an umbrella.

Anyway I'm surprised no one has brought up the old DOH. No jetbridges at all. At least it didn't rain much there.

As an avgeek, I thought old DOH was the best as the warehouse and stairs had a nostalgic atmosphere, but if your aircraft was parked on the other side of the airport from the terminal it could easily be a 15-20 minute drive. Where things got annoying, however, is when pax wouldn’t disembark the bus at the proper terminal upon arrival and often had to get help.

Another airport that utilizes a significant amount of hard stands is IST. I’ve used buses there for the vast majority of my flights.
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

SurlyBonds

Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:29 pm

Starfuryt wrote:
I routinely fly JFK/IAD --> FRA --> SVO/DME. While Aeroflot has come a long way from when I was a kid I still prefer to fly LH and spend extra 3 hours at FRA.
Regardless, i'd say 50% of the time the flight from Moscow ends up deplaning onto a bus. I've never deplaned to a bus landing in FRA from a longhaul however.

I fly this route frequently as well. The LH short-haul flights use the apron much more frequently. However, I have deplaned from a long-haul on the apron at FRA.

This is also common at the old Istanbul airport. I can't speak to the new one.

SurlyBonds

Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:31 pm

I suspect that a lot of this has to do with two things:

1. Older US airports may not have as much apron space as European ones.

2. Fear of liability in the US if a passenger wanders away from the bus and gets hit by a vehicle or plane.

lightsaber

Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:50 pm

filipinoavgeek wrote:
Actually, come to think of it, generally avgeeks seem to have a more positive view of bussing than normal people. While many avgeeks would actually prefer bussing and stair boarding, the average flyer seems to not be overly fond of them, at least from experience.

Just as Avgeeks have more of a tolerance for turboprops.

How many of us would even notice if we sweated a little? I had so much fun dancing this week, but most of the women started dropping out as the room temperature rose due to societal expectations (makeup). This is a heavily male forum. Of course on Europe, the same... I wonder if a different expectation on sweat?

I know my sister switched jobs so she wouldn't have to walk across a tarmac on Wisconsin in winter.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

vfw614

Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:02 pm

It is probably also about how terminal space is used. An arrangement that can be found at European airports is gates with jetbridges for Schengen flights on the first floor, for non-Schengen flights on the second floor (or vice versa) and bus gates on the ground floor. It means that in an area where you can fit just one jetbridge you can accommodate passengers for up to three flights if need be.

impromark

Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:04 pm

This discussion makes me think of the old boarding transports they used to have, which you boarded at concourse level and then after driving out to the remote stand, actually elevated up to the level of the plane so you could board the plane without any stairs. They had a few of them at YEG where I grew up in the 80s, but I never had the chance to board one that way that I could remember. I know they had them at several other airports too.

I guess they were too expensive / awkward to use when a more conventional bus and good ol' air stairs would do..?

Mark

EstherLouise

Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:27 pm

JFK used to use those big mobile lounges to move the entire waiting room to the plane.
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83

FlyHappy

Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:45 pm

RobertS975 wrote:
You know, if I didn't have to balance a roll aboard, a computer bag and often an overcoat while walking up or down boarding stairs, I would probably enjoy the experience much more. As the original poster on this thread, that is the main reason I can't stand remote pad entries. Plus it sometimes means another set of stairs to get down to the bus boarding level. There was one airport where they used buses that raised themselves up to plane level, perhaps JFK many years ago. That was OK

That was Dulles, back in the day with the super cool 60's design "mobile lounge" designed by Eero Saarinen - on scissor jacks. It didn't last long doing actual aircraft "dockings", for lots of reasons. They kept the vehicles around for quite a while as inter terminal transport. I loved those things.

MD80Ttail

Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:55 pm

This will get me flamed but so be it.....I have been fortunate enough to travel around the world to many countries....aEurope especially for all of it pretensions of being socially progressive is so far behind the US when it comes to disabled and handicapped people it’s shamful. Throughout Europe elderly and disabled people really have a hellish time because so many busildings, airports and translations are not even close to being accessible to those physically challenged. In the US access to public building for those with physical challenges is a default. Not so in Europe. Yes some newer build structures are fully accessible but many, many many places from train stations, subways and restaurants are totally inaccessible and would never be permitted in the US. The answer to your question is here in the Us it just wouldn’t be tolerated yet in most of Europe if your old and feeble, well better jus deal with it and plan your trips accordingly.
Last edited by MD80Ttail on Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SmithAir747

Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:56 pm

At JFK, TWA used mobile lounges to transfer passengers between their two terminals--TWA Domestic (T6) and TWA International (T5, the Eero Saarinen masterpiece TWA Flight Center). On March 26, 1994, after getting off my TWA DC-9 from IND at T6, I was transferred in one of these mobile lounges from a T6 rotunda gate to a gate at T5's guitar shaped Flight Wing One concourse. I was connecting on to the TWA 747 service to MAD that day, leaving from T5.

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

RDUDDJI

Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:57 pm

MD80Ttail wrote:
This will get me flamed but so be it.....I have been fortunate enough to travel around the world to many countries....aEurope especially for all of it pretensions of being socially progressive is so far behind the US when it comes to disabled and handicapped people it’s shamful. Throughout Europe elderly and disabled people really have a hellish time because so many busildings, airports and translations are not even close to being accessible to those physically challenged. In the US access to public building for those with physical challenges is a default. Not so in Europe. Yes some newer build structures are fully accessible but many, many many places from train stations, subways and restaurants are totally inaccessible and would never be permitted in the US. The answer to your question is here in the Us it just wouldn’t be tolerated yet in most of Europe if your old and feeble, well better jus deal with it and plan your trips accordingly.

No flames, just perhaps another view. Europe’s cities are much older than US ones. I’m sure there are standards for new buildings, but many old structures are not possible to upgrade for a multitude of reasons. Even in the US many old subway train platforms are not accessible. News ones have to be, and some have had accessibility added, but many cannot be retrofitted. All that to say, I don’t think europe is so much different in the US as far as regulations go. They just have older infrastructure in many places.

Europeans in general seem to be more ambulatory than Americans. Perhaps that’s because they spend more time walking and less time having ‘Murican size portions.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

trueblew

Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:22 am

I'm surprised it doesn't occur more often at major US airports which have become gate-constrained lately.

One example is FLL. I have seen Azul board via busses on the Zulu hardstand. Why B6 does not use one of the many stands for boarding when gates are unavailable is beyond me. They'd rather make inbound flights wait for 20-30 minutes on those very stands.

dtremit

Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:34 am

trueblew wrote:
Why B6 does not use one of the many stands for boarding when gates are unavailable is beyond me. They'd rather make inbound flights wait for 20-30 minutes on those very stands.

Because the passengers for the next flight operated by that plane are waiting at the gate.

And I think that may be one of the reasons bus boardings are so uncommon in the US -- the terminal infrastructure isn't built to accommodate mixed use. At this point, US passengers are accustomed to checking in online 24 hours before their flight, and getting a boarding pass listing the gate from which their flight will depart. Gate changes can be extremely disruptive in US airports, and tend to cause missed connections and unhappy passengers.

When the south (McNamara) terminal at DTW was built (circa 2000 I think?), concourse C was designed for smaller planes like props and RJs, and had a large, central hall; passengers waited there and were dispatched to their actual gate shortly before boarding. I imagine it must have been unpopular or confusing, because they fairly quickly renovated it into a more traditional arrangement.

dtremit

Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:43 am

rbavfan wrote:
asuflyer wrote:
Outside the US, gate space is mostly CUTE, and thus the airport authority can designate which airline uses which gate at a certain time. Whereas in the US, mostly flights have gates already allocated for specific airlines. Ex, AA would not add an additional flight to MSP, for example if they had no gate space. LAX, DCA and JFK are examples of airports in the US that have gates which use buses for boarding so it occurs, just not as common as elsewhere.

I think you mean IAD, not DCA.

DCA has bus gates for RJs in Terminal C (gate "35X"). Though it is in the process of being replaced by a commuter terminal.

American BOS-DCA and LGA-DCA flights also deplane using both a front jetbridge and rear airstairs, though passengers using the latter just walk into the terminal. That used to be done at BOS but has long been discontinued. Not sure if it's still done at LGA.

Iluvtofly

Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:20 am

trex8 wrote:
Average body mass index American > European, more trouble walking , especially stairs. Just kidding.

OMG that is hilarious !!!!! And actually quite true
Flown - B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 A300 310 319 320 321 330 340 Concorde BAC111 TU154 VC10 F27 F28 F100 DC3 DC8 DC9 DC10 L1011 L188 DHC6 DHC7 DHC8 E135 E145 HS748 MD11 ST27 CV580 S340 ATR42 J31

Iluvtofly

Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:26 am

RDUDDJI wrote:
MD80Ttail wrote:

No flames, just perhaps another view. Europe’s cities are much older than US ones. I’m sure there are standards for new buildings, but many old structures are not possible to upgrade for a multitude of reasons. Even in the US many old subway train platforms are not accessible. News ones have to be, and some have had accessibility added, but many cannot be retrofitted. All that to say, I don’t think europe is so much different in the US as far as regulations go. They just have older infrastructure in many places.

Europeans in general seem to be more ambulatory than Americans. Perhaps that’s because they spend more time walking and less time having ‘Murican size portions.

How true you are ! Huge difference between Americans and Canadians even. Its easy to pick out the US tourists when walking around downtown Vancouver in the summer. Sad but true.
The amount of wheelchairs required for a YVR US arrival is unreal compared to other destinations.
Flown - B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 A300 310 319 320 321 330 340 Concorde BAC111 TU154 VC10 F27 F28 F100 DC3 DC8 DC9 DC10 L1011 L188 DHC6 DHC7 DHC8 E135 E145 HS748 MD11 ST27 CV580 S340 ATR42 J31

dampfnudel

Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:26 am

Iluvtofly wrote:
RDUDDJI wrote:
MD80Ttail wrote:

How true you are ! Huge difference between Americans and Canadians even. Its easy to pick out the US tourists when walking around downtown Vancouver in the summer. Sad but true.
The amount of wheelchairs required for a YVR US arrival is unreal compared to other destinations.

When I flew home from HNL on HA last year, there were 8 wheel chairs lined up on the T5 jet bridge at JFK with personnel waiting for their respective passenger. Back in day (20-30 years ago), it was rare to see one wheelchair.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

FlyHappy

Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:30 am

Iluvtofly wrote:

I am dubious - I thought the same until I spent time in eastern Canada - New Brunswick, Nova Scotia... folks looked as big as can be... How many Tim Hortons are needed?
I think you're actually observing more of a West / East thing, independent of the border.

sincx

Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:08 am

I think SFO was also mulling adding bus gates a while ago, but they managed to work out an expansion plan without them.

tjcab

Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:11 am

Andy33 wrote:
IAHWorldflyer wrote:
I wonder if the lack of use of remote boarding in the US also has to do with our ADA laws that require persons with disabilities to accommodated. A wheelchair passenger simply cannot ascend/descend the stairs. I myself sometimes have difficulty walking, and I can tell you those stairs to a 777 can be a challenge. The EU and Asia don't seem to have the all encompassing accessibility laws that the US has.

Having grown up 18 years in Austria, then living in the USA, and visiting both countries routinely, I can assure you that Austria takes accessibility concerns far further than the USA, and Canada, where I now live. And, yes, as a poster already mentioned, there are special [lift] vehicles that take persons with mobility limitations to and from the aircraft. I have seen similar in other European airports..

https://www.viennaairport.com/en/passen ... ble_travel

Tommo4828

Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:11 pm

Does the mobile lounges count at IAD?

Yossarian22

Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:04 pm

I find the bussing international arrivals, to be very frustrating in China. A few years ago I arrived at PEK around 1AM on an SU flight from SVO, and I was sitting fairly close to the front of the main cabin of either an A330 or 777. I got on the first bus, and our bus filled up, and we waited, and waited, and waited. We waited until all 3 or 4 busses were filled, and went to customs and immigration together. I get that Chinese culture seems to have an allergy to efficiency, but it was really really stupid. Those of us on the first bus could have been processed, and on our way before the second bus arrived. Not to mention, it killed any actual value of sitting in the front of the plane.

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago on a late night flight from BKK to KMG, there were plenty of empty gates and gates with planes parked for the night, but rather than making use of that, we parked really far from the terminal, and had a 15 minute bus ride at 1AM, and again, the first bus which I was one, did not leave when it was full, but instead waited until the second bus was ready to go. Their were 3 customs guards on duty, and all 180 or so passengers from my flight hit the line at the same time.

gsg013

Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:00 pm

LGA you get bussed in from time to time on a DL regional CR-200/700/900 when they put you over by the fence there are actually a number of gates downstairs that go right to the busses for both departures and arrivals... Usually happens when the airport is jam packed which is fairly often

CometOrbit

Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:55 pm

At LIS, LCC carriers (eg easyJet) use T2 (no bridges), but arrivals are bussed from the aircraft round the apron to T1 for immigration, joining the very last part of the arrivals queue.

At MAN, I have been totally soaked in the 40 metres in the open between gate and aircraft (with the boarding queue stopped on the aircraft steps!).
Meanwhile the bridge, where we could have stayed nice and dry, stood idle and empty.
easyJet does use bridges in some locations, but not at LIS or MAN.

Heinkel

Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:13 pm

LGAviation wrote:
I much prefer the fresh air of the tarmac and the availability of the rear door for quick turnarounds. Same procedure is very typical in Australia, at least for Jetstar and Tiger.

Also, airports in Australia's red centre like Alice Springs and Ayers Rock dont use jetways at all although it can get far hotter there than in most Southern cities in the US.

No airstairs at Broken Hill Airport (BHQ) but quite hot. And the "gate" really has another meaning there:

http://www.mehlhorn-bs.de/4sale/Broken_Hill_Airport.jpg

Enjoyed the flight very much.

OOSFS

Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:24 pm

LakerLiker wrote:
OOSFS wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
Which Spanish ones? I think ALC is one. MAD too. PMI I think so. But I recall using Ryanair recently in SCQ (the only airline that do not uses jet bridges), SVQ or VLC and we did not use jet bridges. I think it is more dependant on the airport than on anything else.

From the top of my head:
AGP (on the B and the C gates, sometimes on the D gates)
ALC
IBZ
PMI
BCN
TFS
ACE
MAD
Ryanair has also a 35 min turnaround time in those places in stead of their standard 25 min turnaround.

Google maps actually shows an FR plane parked at Alicante next to a bridge but both sets of stairs in use as their usual procedure. Obviously only a snapshot of 1 movement so might not be the norm.

It might have changed then since the last time I was there. Probably something like AGP. They used to use the airbridge for every plane in AGP, then on some stands they started to use front and back steps. I guess in ALC it might be the same then :)

IAHWorldflyer

Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:44 pm

tjcab wrote:
Andy33 wrote:
IAHWorldflyer wrote:
I wonder if the lack of use of remote boarding in the US also has to do with our ADA laws that require persons with disabilities to accommodated. A wheelchair passenger simply cannot ascend/descend the stairs. I myself sometimes have difficulty walking, and I can tell you those stairs to a 777 can be a challenge. The EU and Asia don't seem to have the all encompassing accessibility laws that the US has.

Having grown up 18 years in Austria, then living in the USA, and visiting both countries routinely, I can assure you that Austria takes accessibility concerns far further than the USA, and Canada, where I now live. And, yes, as a poster already mentioned, there are special [lift] vehicles that take persons with mobility limitations to and from the aircraft. I have seen similar in other European airports..

https://www.viennaairport.com/en/passen ... ble_travel

Sorry, I had not been aware of the special lift vehicles the other poster has mentioned. My impression of disability accommodation in Europe being weaker than in the US was mainly due to the many subway stations in EU cities that lack elevators to platforms, and to the large number of older buildings in city centers that have steps from the sidewalk, without an accompanying ramps.

TSA125

Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:20 pm

I had to disembark via airstairs at ORD after a midnight arrival on NK in the middle of a January blizzard. Needless to say, I really didn't see that coming (even on NK).
No not that TSA.

IADCA

Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:33 pm

SurlyBonds wrote:
Starfuryt wrote:
I routinely fly JFK/IAD --> FRA --> SVO/DME. While Aeroflot has come a long way from when I was a kid I still prefer to fly LH and spend extra 3 hours at FRA.
Regardless, i'd say 50% of the time the flight from Moscow ends up deplaning onto a bus. I've never deplaned to a bus landing in FRA from a longhaul however.

I fly this route frequently as well. The LH short-haul flights use the apron much more frequently. However, I have deplaned from a long-haul on the apron at FRA.

This is also common at the old Istanbul airport. I can't speak to the new one.

I get deplaned from longhaul fairly often via bus at FRA. UA seems to get it more often than LH on the IAD-FRA turns, at least from my experience.
FlyHappy wrote:

That was Dulles, back in the day with the super cool 60's design "mobile lounge" designed by Eero Saarinen - on scissor jacks. It didn't last long doing actual aircraft "dockings", for lots of reasons. They kept the vehicles around for quite a while as inter terminal transport. I loved those things.

They're still around as inter-terminal transport, both for international arrivals and for the shuttle for the main terminal to the D gates.

Tommo4828 wrote:
Does the mobile lounges count at IAD?

I wouldn't count them. They're just terminal to terminal now, not really any different from the airside bus at EWR except for looking cooler.

DIRECTFLT

Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:42 pm

IWMBH wrote:
I am from Europe and I can't remember the last time I used a bus to get to the airplane.

RE Jet service:

I watched a YT video this morning with a flight from the UK to Innsbruck, and that looked like a no jet bridge airport.

Trips to Montego Bay in the 90's... no jet bridge.

And, in 1965, we flew back to Love Field on AA from Dulles, and rode to the plane on the "bus."

Trips in the 70's from Austin to Dallas on the DC-9 were all with no jet bridge in Austin.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

runway23

Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:47 pm

vfw614 wrote:
It is probably also about how terminal space is used. An arrangement that can be found at European airports is gates with jetbridges for Schengen flights on the first floor, for non-Schengen flights on the second floor (or vice versa) and bus gates on the ground floor. It means that in an area where you can fit just one jetbridge you can accommodate passengers for up to three flights if need be.

That’s more a characteristic of some larger airports (FRA, MUC, AMS) but most of the other airports in Europe operate with a separate building or part of the building for non-Schengen flights.

lhrnue

Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:57 pm

The market share of Airbus is larger than of Boeing in Europe … so of course there are more bus boardings.

DIRECTFLT

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:08 pm

gsg013 wrote:
On my last 3 trips to Europe our plane disembarked at a remote stand and had to be bused in to the terminal. ( JFK-CDG on AF 777-300ER and EWR-LHR BA 777-200) The only one I was not bused in was DTW-AMS (DL A350-900) it could be anecdotal but I am not a huge fan of getting off and getting on a bus when you land at 7 AM bc your body still thinks it is 1-2 AM.

We flew into MIA from Jamaica to then connect to fly back to DFW. As we got off the plane from Jamaica, the hallway we were going down had walls made of glass-like squares that you could see through. On the other side of that glass was the gate that we would be departing from. But, we had to walk for (ever) to customs, and then, walk all the way back to where we started, but on the other side of that glass, to then board the DC-10 to go back to Dallas.

It was that experience at MIA that convinced me, that if I was ever going to visit, in the future, a non-US controlled island in the Caribbean, that it was going to to be one where US Customs were handled at the island's departure gate, such as BDA and SLU.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

DIRECTFLT

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:14 pm

ubeema wrote:
I typically transit at CDG between North America and Africa flights. Stairs boarding and deplaning are almost always guaranteed for the African leg. Never for American flights.
I could be wrong but I bet US based airlines pay extra to guarantee gate space. Very annoying when you have babies. Had to carry car seats and kids before at sametime . Very sweaty experience.

When I first started flying Non-Rev with AA, instead of packing two carry-ons, I packed everything in one large duffel-bag carry on. That sucker was heavy and unwieldy, and going up and down stairs was not good. Not to mention, the frequent stop/starts on the stairs going up or down, when there is crowd making it's way.

boeingbus

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:15 pm

It's because Europe generally has much better weather than the United States. In addition, busses clear out passengers from congested terminals quicker and the boarding is also quicker.

In the US we have lousy weather, it's either too cold or too hot. So jetbridges is a must to protect the passengers from the elements.
Airbus or Boeing - it's all good to me!

777kkk

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:30 pm

I. have boarded deboarded by bus at FRA, MXP, old Athens,CDG,NRT,MEX,GDL,and walked to/from the plane at HMO,GYM,CEN,LMM,CUL,LAP( in Mexico) and since I like planes very much ,I enjoy the ride/walk alot except in Mexico City

Shrewfly

Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:44 pm

In the UK some airports have International Gates and Domestic Gates.

An inbound domestic aircraft might pull on to a stand next to an International Gate, from which it will operate an international flight next. So the domestic passengers getting off will be sent by bus to the domestic baggage hall.

Or vice versa. A flight coming in from Germany would need to deposit pax at a point where they could clear customs. At a domestic gate that might not be possible, so you bus the pax in.

It's also common in mainland Europe you have Schengen gates and non schengen gates. Same thing applies. If the aircraft comes onto a schengen gate with a jet bridge, the outbound passengers will need to be bussed in.