Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

imthedreamliner
Topic Author

Your advice to Boeing for the upcoming Paris Air Show ?

Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:19 am

2019 Paris Air Show is on June 23, approximately 3 months away. It is a big opportunity to restore trust in MAX and in Boeing as well. What can they do at the Paris Air Show to make things better ?

My Advices :

1-) Complete the necessary fix of the MCAS system and other modifications. If possible, bring a MAX-8 to the show to explain the modifications and try to persuade people and media it is perfectly safe to fly the plane. If possible, try to get as many orders for MAX to restore trust as well.

2-) Is it a golden opportunity to launch 797 ? If it possible, launching 797 at Paris Air Show with hundreds of commitments could be a big sign of " I am strong ". Maybe Boeing can go into details why 797 is safe to fly ( the systems like MCAS is not in this plane or it is in this plane and safe ).

3-) Full attendance of the Board of Boeing ? This could answer all the questions coming from media and people at the heighest level and restore trust in Boeing. This could be important.

4-) Joint conferances with some ally Airliners ( USA airliners + others if possible ) to talk about the fixes on MAX and why it is safe to fly ?

I am sure more can be done but I see it as a big opportunity for Boeing. But first of all, Boeing has to do the homework and make MAX safer.

JQ321

Re: Your advice to Boeing for the upcoming Paris Air Show ?

Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:38 am

imthedreamliner wrote:
2019 Paris Air Show is on June 23, approximately 3 months away. It is a big opportunity to restore trust in MAX and in Boeing as well. What can they do at the Paris Air Show to make things better ?

My Advices :

1-) Complete the necessary fix of the MCAS system and other modifications. If possible, bring a MAX-8 to the show to explain the modifications and try to persuade people and media it is perfectly safe to fly the plane. If possible, try to get as many orders for MAX to restore trust as well.

2-) Is it a golden opportunity to launch 797 ? If it possible, launching 797 at Paris Air Show with hundreds of commitments could be a big sign of " I am strong ". Maybe Boeing can go into details why 797 is safe to fly ( the systems like MCAS is not in this plane or it is in this plane and safe ).

3-) Full attendance of the Board of Boeing ? This could answer all the questions coming from media and people at the heighest level and restore trust in Boeing. This could be important.

4-) Joint conferances with some ally Airliners ( USA airliners + others if possible ) to talk about the fixes on MAX and why it is safe to fly ?

I am sure more can be done but I see it as a big opportunity for Boeing. But first of all, Boeing has to do the homework and make MAX safer.

Why would they do 2 ? It is practically saying that the 737MAX is unsafe.

DeltaB717

Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:53 am

JQ321 wrote:
imthedreamliner wrote:

My Advices :

Why would they do 2 ? It is practically saying that the 737MAX is unsafe.

Yeah, agreed... while I wouldn't go so far as it saying the MAX is unsafe, launching the 797 would do nothing for the MAX's recovery in public/industry perception. I also wouldn't think it wise to launch the 797 unless it's absolutely, 110% ready - the last thing B needs at the moment is people thinking they might be doing a rush job.

eirflot

Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:28 am

For a change explain truthfully what happened and how the fix will work.
There should be 10 Max8's made available for a months flying with the fix, at Boeing's expense but flown by customer crews
I still f8nd it hard ti believe Boeing installed new software without highlighting the changw - almost seems underhanded

cc2314

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:13 am

Point no 3 is crucial, giving off the image (we really care) will help heel the wounds.
I do hope they can explain to the public the ins and outs of the fix and why it was needed in a transparent way.. For Joe public to understand

bennett123

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:15 am

Have the BOD fly over in a B737MAX?.

scbriml

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:17 am

cc2314 wrote:
Point no 3 is crucial, giving off the image (we really care) will help heel the wounds.
I do hope they can explain to the public the ins and outs of the fix and why it was needed in a transparent way.. For Joe public to understand

Heeling a wound sounds like it might hurt more! :wink2:

The question I would have is, why should Boeing wait until Paris to do this? They should be doing it now! Do it now, get it all out in the open, do your public mea culpa and then go to Paris with as clean a slate as possible.

maint123

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:29 am

What people here keep on missing is that if the Max is safe or will be safe after the software changes, then Boeing has nothing to worry about.
But if the Max is unsafe, all the PR in the world can't help it. What's going to happen will happen. Laws of physics.
Passanger planes are not vehicles to do risky experiment with.

cc2314

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:32 am

That's a valid point, they do seem a little quiet with not a whole lot of defensive public press coming out.
Does that company have a leader capable of public speaking? Would that not be the chap that received the 30 mill bonus.

bgm

Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:27 am

cc2314 wrote:
giving off the image (we really care).

I didn't realize that the Paris Air Show was a stand up comedy thing. :duck:

Bongodog49

Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:37 am

Eat some humble pie, rather than the attitude to date, last Fridays efforts which to me seemed along the lines of "we're fixing a problem that doesn't really exist" gave the impression of a company that thinks it is bigger than its customers and all the Worlds Airframe regulatory bodies.

mig17

Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:58 am

For now, the MAX is radioactive. No airlines will want to see their brand associated to it until the general population forgets. Le Bourget maybe to soon.
So my advice to Boeing is to do what Mercedes did with the Classe A in the late 90 : rework the plane until it is realy safe and passes the autorities test and then comunicate.
If Boeing wants to communicate at Paris Air Show, they have to do it with other planes and on other topic than safety, developpement or certification until all the MAX problems are resolved and preventive action are in place so it doesn't happen again.
That doesn't prevent Boeing to do some MAX business in private with customers attracted by huge cut on prices.
Last edited by mig17 on Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:16 am, edited 4 times in total.

Lufthansa

Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:58 am

all too complex. DON'T GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MYT332

Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:32 am

I would seriously rebrand the MAX's as the B737-8, B737-9 etc. Get away from the MAX name completely. People aren't shying away from flying on current B737-800's so the 737 name is good still but when they see the word 'MAX' in the future, well, there's your problem. MAX is just too easy a name to remember.

Obviously the rebranding would be public knowledge but it surely wouldn't be as wide spread as the reporting of the crashes. It would alleviate potential issues with the 'majority' of joe public you'd think.

smokeybandit

Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:35 am

"For now, the MAX is radioactive. No airlines will want to see their brand associated to it until the general population forgets."

Most of the general population doesn't even know what the MAX is or would have any idea they're flying one

keesje

Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:37 am

Initial communication after the two crashes was not good IMO. Denying there a problem, diverting attention to the operators, emphasizing how good you really are. Arrogance alarms were sounding everywhere, the POTUS intervened & now DoJ is in.
A humble. open approach instead of a fight back attitude would be required. I wouldn't let the same communication advisers do the Paris job.

MYT332

Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:42 am

smokeybandit wrote:
Most of the general population doesn't even know what the MAX is or would have any idea they're flying one

I think you'll find a lot of people know about the MAX now sadly. Even my 80 year old Nanna knows about it. In general you are correct that people haven't a clue what plane they are flying on but this is somewhat different.

jfklganyc

Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:45 am

I would also drop the Max

Not sure why a word was put into the name anyway...but that word is done...even if the plane has a long life ahead of it

mjoelnir

Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:10 am

Do not take part, that they do not have to answer inconvenient questions.

zkojq

Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:14 am

Maybe rename it the 737-8Leap or something? Or would that have too many connotations of falling?

Polot

Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:17 am

It will just be a stop on the Boeing apology tour, nothing more nothing less. PR by then will have massaged the message Boeing uses and how to properly answer the “inconvenient questions.”

Let’s not forget the air show is a trade show. People there are not going to beat up Boeing. Most of them are Boeing customers or suppliers. Most journalists and especially bloggers are not going to ruin their relationship with Boeing or they will be shut out of future perks/invites. Other than Boeing having a more apologetic tone it will be just like any other air show.

Anyone expecting a Boeing witch hunt is going to be very disappointed. The industry does not want to make major news and rehash of industry short comings (ie certification concerns) and especially crashes.

mig17

Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:59 am

Polot wrote:
It will just be a stop on the Boeing apology tour, nothing more nothing less. PR by then will have massaged the message Boeing uses and how to properly answer the “inconvenient questions.”

Let’s not forget the air show is a trade show. People there are not going to beat up Boeing. Most of them are Boeing customers or suppliers. Most journalists and especially bloggers are not going to ruin their relationship with Boeing or they will be shut out of future perks/invites. Other than Boeing having a more apologetic tone it will be just like any other air show.

Anyone expecting a Boeing witch hunt is going to be very disappointed. The industry does not want to make major news and rehash of industry short comings (ie certification concerns) and especially crashes.

That's downplaying it ... We are not even sure the MAX will be ungrounded by then. Since you are speacking of the industry, the industry is in an hot spot right now because the MAX crashes twice while having gone through all the industry developpement standard and the authorities certification process. The MAX is a black sheep and it's presence at Le Bourget could be damaging for every one.
Boeing has to work on it and realy proove it is a safe airplaine to unlock the entire situation or it will end badly.
For now the MAX is a Schrodinger case. It could still be a succes story or it could go down as the biggest industrial accident in History. And Boeing PR for now doesn't help at all.

Polot

Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:02 pm

mig17 wrote:
Polot wrote:

That's downplaying it ... We are not even sure the MAX will be ungrounded by then. Since you are speacking of the industry, the industry is in an hot spot right now because the MAX crashes twice while having gone through all the industry developpement standard and the authorities certification process. The MAX is a black sheep and it's presence at Le Bourget could be damaging for every one.
Boeing has to work on it and realy proove it is a safe airplaine to unlock the entire situation or it will end badly.
For now the MAX is a Schrodinger case. It could stil be a succes story or it could go down as the biggest industrial accident in History. And Boeing PR for now doesn't help at all.

I never said Boeing had to or was going to bring a 737Max to the show. They still have 787s and 748Fs to show off (and maybe the 777X? But might be too busy for show).

Boeing will no doubt give a run down/talk about the situation and how regrettable it is and lessons learned. And then people will move on to the next new order announced in the other room.

mig17

Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:06 pm

Polot wrote:
mig17 wrote:
Polot wrote:

For now the MAX is a Schrodinger case. It could stil be a succes story or it could go down as the biggest industrial accident in History. And Boeing PR for now doesn't help at all.

I never said Boeing had to or was going to bring a 737Max to the show. They still have 787s and 748Fs to show off (and maybe the 777X? But might be too busy for show).

Boeing will no doubt give a run down/talk about the situation and how regrettable it is and lessons learned. And then people will move on to the next new order announced in the other room.

My bad. But if the MAX isn't there, it will not "be a stop on the Boeing apology tour" either. Juste a normal show where Boeing will communicate on other topic to keep a verry low profile on MAX.

mjoelnir

Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:11 pm

Polot wrote:

There is not a witch hunt in regards to Boeing, journalist should grill Boeing, especially the top managers.
In a normal situation there should be running a criminal investigation and the responsible persons at Boeing should sit in investigative custody. Compare it to dieselgate, here People died.

Polot

Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:13 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
Polot wrote:

There is not a witch hunt in regards to Boeing, journalist should grill Boeing, especially the top managers.
In a normal situation there should be running a criminal investigation and the responsible persons at Boeing should sit in investigative custody. Compare it to dieselgate, here People died.

They should grill Boeing and they will, it just won’t be at the Air Show. You have Congress looking into the FAA/Boeing. That is the principle venue the grilling will occur at and where it will get the most journalistic attention.

Criminal investigations and the Paris air show are two separate things. You can’t hold people in the US in “investigative custody.”
Last edited by Polot on Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GEUltraFan9XGTF

Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:15 pm

Like VW, Boeing's PR face throughout has been abysmal. Muilenburg comes off with as much empathy and tact as a sleezy lobbyist for used car salesmen.

If I were Boeing's BOD, I'd fire Muilenburg before Paris (and maybe others).

I would do whatever I could, without appearing pushy, to showcase front and center what the EASA is doing to review and (re)certify that MAX, MCAS, etc.

Dropping the MAX name slowly over time by Paris 2020 is not a bad idea.

I would provide two very comfortable and detailed info booths/pavilions about each crash with the latest investigation updates. Each should have a wall of names / memorial for the dead as well as special thanks to investigators and first responders.

I would have a third info booth / pavilion all about MCAS. 100% transparency and disclosure.

I would hold one press conference every day:

Day 1: What we're doing for the families of the victims (aid package). Day 2: How we're compensating MAX customers (aid package). Day 3: How we're bolstering the independence, strength, and authority of regulatory agencies all over the world. Etc.

I would give ATO to the NMA.

I would put the 78X and 77X combo front and center as the ultimate 1-2 punch for the best WB strategy.

DL747400

Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:04 pm

eirflot wrote:
I still f8nd it hard ti believe Boeing installed new software without highlighting the change - almost seems underhanded

Not "almost" underhanded. It was underhanded. As a Boeing fanboy it is very difficult for me to say, but IMO it was criminal.

mjoelnir wrote:
There is not a witch hunt in regards to Boeing, journalist should grill Boeing, especially the top managers.In a normal situation there should be running a criminal investigation and the responsible persons at Boeing should sit in investigative custody.

There is a token FBI investigation underway here in the USA, but I can assure you that nothing at all will come of it.

bennett123 wrote:

Great idea! Better yet, make the BOD fly to Paris onboard a MAX that does not have the fixes. They clearly felt the MAX was safe enough for "regular" people, it should be safe enough for Boeing's BOD, right?

NameOmitted

Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:19 pm

Give the 777x the coming out party she deserves.

mjoelnir

Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:25 pm

Polot wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:
Polot wrote:

They should grill Boeing and they will, it just won’t be at the Air Show. You have Congress looking into the FAA/Boeing. That is the principle venue the grilling will occur at and where it will get the most journalistic attention.

Criminal investigations and the Paris air show are two separate things. You can’t hold people in the US in “investigative custody.”

The did it with Audi and VW managers. They do it with a Huawei manager. They do it of course not with Boeing or FAA managers.

I have neither seen not heard of any journalist grilling Boeing management. How so, the management has practical disappeared and no comments is the standard.

CRJ5000

Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:28 pm

My advice to Boeing?

Probably don''t take advice from random people on internet message boards.

Just kidding... Honestly though, tough to say without all of the info that they certainly have on the situation.

GalebG4

Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:30 pm

For Boeing:
1. Give us NMA(797), NMA, NMA!!!
2. 737 MAX 10 on display!!!

For Airbus:**
1. Give us a322 :hissyfit:
2. A321XLR, XLR, XLR!!!
3. Give us A220-500 :praise:
**Airbus advice shouldn’t be here, i know :box:

Faro

Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:42 pm

Be pro-active...don’t muck around...make LH an offer they really really can’t refuse for their 100 narrowbody requirement NOW...and announce the MAX order in Paris...just do it for God’s sake...ACT!...

Faro

Polot

Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:48 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
Polot wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

The did it with Audi and VW managers. They do it with a Huawei manager. They do it of course not with Boeing or FAA managers.

I have neither seen not heard of any journalist grilling Boeing management. How so, the management has practical disappeared and no comments is the standard.

I really haven’t seen nor heard journalist grilling Huawei managers either...

In the end it comes down to politics and what what else is out in the news. Huawei is Chinese, VW is German. Yes the US probably gave dieselgate more initially focus than necessary, although one could argue some in Europe were slow to give the issue proper consideration. US news is focused on Mueller report and Trump at the moment (well, Trump in general). Diesel gate came out during a slow fall news cycle towards the end of an administration that was going out of power due to term limits and was also an easier target because millions of Americans drive VW cars while basically every adult American drives a car. The Boeing scandal is more abstract (you can’t just go and buy a 737Max from Boeing, its failure is more difficult to understand, and most people buy a ticket with little consideration towards type), especially now that the plane is grounded and people just can’t accidently end up on a 737 Max. That means it captivates audiences less than Dieselgate (and basically nobody here is following the Huawei thing), especially as with VW they can run with the “what will happen with your car, fix (and what performance hit?), buyback (how much?), etc?” angle that you can’t really do with the Boeing scandal.

KPDX

Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:53 pm

Someone needs to give us a great laugh and compile all the ideas into one big list just to have a good example how ridiculous some of the posts are here. Everyone's idea of what Boeing "should do" varies so much from person to person. They aren't gonna win in this situation regardless of what they do.

IWMBH

Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:02 pm

Just show up with the 777 and 787 and - if the fix is already implemented - bring the 737MAX. Why not?

sgbroimp

Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:06 pm

bennett123 wrote:

That would be the best thing they can do. Will they? 50/50 at best.

AirwayBill

Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:07 pm

Polot wrote:

I will politely disagree on this. Less than a decade ago, the FBI arrested high ranked Alstom officers at an American airport (don't remember which one), and held them in custody for days, to obtain confessions from them. At that time, Alstom was being suspected of possible corruption by the American DoJ, regarding an Indonesian contract, and they needed proofs, hence the... tough way in the handling of the inquiry. In the end it was just a backstab, and a (successful) blackmail attempt by GE to take over the energy branch of Alstom with very favorable terms.

Just to say that if the investigation goes further down the criminal road, in regards of Boeing's possible negligence, it could go the same way. In the worst case for Boeing some officials might possibly not be allowed to leave US territory (investigative custody as you call it), but I don't believe it will be the case, due to multiple protectionist reasons.

SteelChair

Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:10 pm

Stay home.

Boeing needa a house cleaning in the executive suite imho.

They are in a very difficult position. Its a shame (for Airbus) that the Airbus corruption deal is going on, otherwise they could really twist the knife..

Bricktop

Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:14 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
Do not take part, that they do not have to answer inconvenient questions.

No, then the refrain will be “Cowards! What are they trying to hide?” It’s a no win situation, as it should be. People died, and there should be no more sugar coating and spin. Sackcloth and ashes is the order of the day. Fix it and repair the reputation by being excellent.

remingtonbox

Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:16 pm

DL747400 wrote:

Great idea! Better yet, make the BOD fly to Paris onboard a MAX that does not have the fixes. They clearly felt the MAX was safe enough for "regular" people, it should be safe enough for Boeing's BOD, right?

Nah, they won't do that, its not a BBJ

Polot

Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:18 pm

SteelChair wrote:
Stay home.

Boeing needa a house cleaning in the executive suite imho.

They are in a very difficult position. Its a shame (for Airbus) that the Airbus corruption deal is going on, otherwise they could really twist the knife..

Airbus was not going to twist any knife no matter was happening at home. Fanboys are far more vindictive than Airbus and Boeing are, and if they (A or B) acted that way things can easily blow up in their face. Last thing Airbus wants to do is twist a knife in Boeing’s back over this issue then the next day have one of their planes go down with no survivors. Airbus is wisely staying silent except to promote overall industry safety that is what they would do in any situation like this.

Remember too fall out over this will also effect Airbus and how they do things too (Boeing is not the only one that does some level of self-certification!).

mjoelnir

Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:20 pm

One advise, stop doing this: Boeing’s public messaging on 737 MAX crisis criticized as bureaucratic, legalistic, and slow

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/b ... -and-slow/

morrisond

Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:38 pm

Faro wrote:
Be pro-active...don’t muck around...make LH an offer they really really can’t refuse for their 100 narrowbody requirement NOW...and announce the MAX order in Paris...just do it for God’s sake...ACT!...

Faro

That's a good idea. Give them away to get a big new Operator to sign on.

Maybe some free frames for existing operators to compensate for cost of groundings.

This will pass.

stlgph

Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:44 pm

After 20 years in the news and public relations industry - it's very simple.

Show up and be a part of the conversation instead of letting others do the talking on your behalf.

Do not make major launches or innovations while one of your products is stuck on the ground.

That's all.

ODwyerPW

Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:53 pm

GEUltraFan9XGTF wrote:
Like VW, Boeing's PR face throughout has been abysmal. Muilenburg comes off with as much empathy and tact as a sleezy lobbyist for used car salesmen.

If I were Boeing's BOD, I'd fire Muilenburg before Paris (and maybe others).

I would do whatever I could, without appearing pushy, to showcase front and center what the EASA is doing to review and (re)certify that MAX, MCAS, etc.

Dropping the MAX name slowly over time by Paris 2020 is not a bad idea.

I would provide two very comfortable and detailed info booths/pavilions about each crash with the latest investigation updates. Each should have a wall of names / memorial for the dead as well as special thanks to investigators and first responders.

I would have a third info booth / pavilion all about MCAS. 100% transparency and disclosure.

I would hold one press conference every day:

Day 1: What we're doing for the families of the victims (aid package). Day 2: How we're compensating MAX customers (aid package). Day 3: How we're bolstering the independence, strength, and authority of regulatory agencies all over the world. Etc.

I would give ATO to the NMA.

I would put the 78X and 77X combo front and center as the ultimate 1-2 punch for the best WB strategy.

That was all very well thought out.
My advice to Boeing would be not to take any advice from Me. However, your ideas, they are pretty good.

zoom321

Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:14 pm

Faro wrote:

Faro

You mean like offering LH US$100 milion for each Max they take ?

ILNFlyer

Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:31 pm

keesje wrote:
A humble. open approach instead of a fight back attitude would be required. I wouldn't let the same communication advisers do the Paris job.

I agree. An open, transparent approach is the best way to restore confidence in the company.

ewt340

Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:40 pm

Don't launch any new products. It ain't gonna work.

Faro

Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:53 pm

zoom321 wrote:
Faro wrote:

Faro

You mean like offering LH US$100 milion for each Max they take ?

I mean doing a Ryanair/738 re-edition with LH...those were desperate times in 2001-2003...these are equally desperate times for B now...

Faro

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos