Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CarbonFibre
Topic Author

flybe launch LHR-IOM

Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:53 am

I seem to have missed this news so apologies if already mentioned.

Flybe/Connect Airways have announced Heathrow - Isle of Man will commence on 21st April.

https://www.flybe.com/

EDIT: Slots are former Jet Airways BOM-LHR which is being reduced to twice-daily.

thegrew

Re: flybe launch LHR-IOM

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:40 am

That should be a fairly well utilised route for connecting passengers assuming the timing is right. I had assumed IOM already had a LHR connection.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

FlapsOne

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:44 am

Well done to flyBE. Exciting times for LHR links throughout the British Islands.

Bogof7478

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:56 am

What a waste shouldve been given to BA to launch DTW

Harshil9

Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:11 am

Surprised 9W reduced their frequency on LHR-BOM. I fly that route often sometimes during off peak times and it's always packed in both J and Y.

Bongodog49

Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:26 am

Bogof7478 wrote:

IOM is a favourite withe the banking community and those with enough money to make it worthwhile living offshore, it is a surprise that it doesn't already have a link to LHR.
IMO far better to use a slot to enable the residents of the Isle of Man to gain access to LHR than yet another BA flight to a US City

The only problem I see is that a one return flight per day doesn't really help anyone, to be effective it needs at least a double return trip, enabling business travellers to arrive for morning meetings and fly back at the end of the day, and to allow transfer passengers to achieve same day transfer at each end of their flight. As it stands long haul transfer passengers are better served from IOM via Manchester and London passengers via BA 3x daily from LCY

13.50 depart IOM 15.10 arrive LHR
17.05 depart LHR 18.25 arrive IOM

thegrew

Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:30 am

Bongodog49 wrote:
Bogof7478 wrote:

IOM is a favourite withe the banking community and those with enough money to make it worthwhile living offshore, it is a surprise that it doesn't already have a link to LHR.
IMO far better to use a slot to enable the residents of the Isle of Man to gain access to LHR than yet another BA flight to a US City

The only problem I see is that a one return flight per day doesn't really help anyone, to be effective it needs at least a double return trip, enabling business travellers to arrive for morning meetings and fly back at the end of the day, and to allow transfer passengers to achieve same day transfer at each end of their flight. As it stands long haul transfer passengers are better served from IOM via Manchester and London passengers via BA 3x daily from LCY

13.50 depart IOM 15.10 arrive LHR
17.05 depart LHR 18.25 arrive IOM
Don't forget long haul through DUB

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

vfw614

Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:31 am

AFAIK the slots are "owned" by Virgin Atlantic and were taken back by them from Jet Airways at short notice (maybe Jet can no longer afford to lease them form Virgin - I doubt that they were a freebie). Virgin have apparently handed them to Flybe, so it looks more like a slot-sitting exercise by BE on behalf of VS and not really a standalone commercial decision based on the attractiveness of the IOM market. But maybe VS comes to the conclusion that their precious slots at LHR are indeed best used for feeder flights on turboprops from places like IOM and GCI instead of adding longhaul routes (which I doubt...). Unlike the slots used for BE flights to ABZ and EDI, these slots could be used for any purpose.

Ironically, VS initially filed DTW as the intended destination in the slot swapping form with ACL.

jumpjets

Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:09 am

I am glad to see IOM returning to LHR but I agree with post #6 that there needs to be a double daily for it to be attractive to the business traveller. Double daily would also improve the range of options for connecting traffic.

Back in the 1980s I traveled to the IoM for work with the then Manx airlines, but most of them were day trips. I recall my first trip was routed outbound LHR-LPL-IOM on a Shorts SD360, which of course was not pressurised so flew low and slow. Inbound was non stop in a Vickers Viscount, such luxury!

I am sure the Flybe will be a better experience.

vfw614

Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:47 am

I doubt Flybe will ever be able to get hold of, let alone purchase slots at LHR that would allow a useful day return as suitably timed slots for such flights are pretty much impossible to get at LHR. That is, until an additional runway shows up. Flybe simply have to accept whatever slot is offered to them and they will do a single roundtrip based on that. It may be useful for connections for some, but not for many - particularly not for longhaul flights that do not have multiple frequencies spread out over the day, but leave within a certrian time frame each day (e.g. TATL flights).

clipperlondon

Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:55 am

jumpjets wrote:
I am glad to see IOM returning to LHR but I agree with post #6 that there needs to be a double daily for it to be attractive to the business traveller. Double daily would also improve the range of options for connecting traffic.

Back in the 1980s I traveled to the IoM for work with the then Manx airlines, but most of them were day trips. I recall my first trip was routed outbound LHR-LPL-IOM on a Shorts SD360, which of course was not pressurised so flew low and slow. Inbound was non stop in a Vickers Viscount, such luxury!

Oh I don't know! For an Avgeek (moi) it would have been turboprop heaven. :bouncy: :airplane:

PlymSpotter

Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:14 pm

If this becomes a success, then it's probable that an additional flight will be launched to maximise connections - Virgin / Connect will have a good number of slots available to best distribute.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Bongodog49

Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:55 pm

clipperlondon wrote:
jumpjets wrote:

Oh I don't know! For an Avgeek (moi) it would have been turboprop heaven. :bouncy: :airplane:

Only a masochist would refer to an airborne garden shed as heaven :rotfl:

Shanegill

Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:56 pm

Remember who Flybe is owned by now , they will grow at LHR as a VS feeder .

mxaxai

Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:45 pm

Shanegill wrote:

The timing is poor, though. The morning TATL flights are all missed, and VS doesn't have a particularly strong Asian network (that would depart/arrive in the afternoon).

TimeForFlight

Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:45 pm

I'm really glad IOM will have LHR service again, but as a US-based traveler, these times stink. As it stands, you're almost guaranteed either 3 flights to reach the IOM from the US, or a 5+ hour layover in either MAN or DUB. Clearly US-IOM traffic isn't what this route is designed for, but having Skyteam connection options from the island will be a huge plus.

Does anyone know if this will this be ATR, Dash 8, or (unlikely) ERJ service? I tried looking up the flight, but Flybe's website seems to not want me to know.

DobboDobbo

Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:36 pm

mxaxai wrote:
Shanegill wrote:

The timing is poor, though. The morning TATL flights are all missed, and VS doesn't have a particularly strong Asian network (that would depart/arrive in the afternoon).

I’ve seen elsewhere that this route is subsidised by the IoM government to the tune of £800k for a 6 month period. This (and the NQY route - also subsidised) is consistent with the reality that such routes are not commercially viable into LHR. In all probability this will be gone by this time next year.

vfw614

Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:50 pm

I think the subsidised route is GCI, not IOM. And NQY is a PSO service.

As I have said before, the slots are owned by Virgin and they need someone - BE in that case - to babysit them in order to have them grandfathered for future re-allocation. It is extremely unlikely that someone in the commercial department thinks that LHR-IOM is a brilliant idea and there is no better way to use slots at the world's most slot-constrained airport than for an 78seat turboprop on a domestic route with poor timings. The Isle of Man is a small market with Flybe being the market leader and a proven demand for London services. So adding a London route from/to IOM at short notice is probably the least loss-making use of the slots at LHR as Flybe can simply cut a frequency on their IOM-LPL/MAN routes to make an aircraft available. As others have said, the route would need to be twice daily to make sense commercially. Like this, they could just as well have added a daily flight to LTN, STN or SEN as in the olden days when Manx Airlines did their farecracker route into LTN.

cougar15

Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:54 pm

mxaxai wrote:
Shanegill wrote:

Exactly, slot hogging until brighter ideas come around the corner......
some you lose, others you can´t win!

CaliguyNYC

Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:06 pm

This is just a short term fix because Jet’s restructuring / saving is taking longer than expected. But yes Jet’s slot is owned by VS or DL/KL/AF. This was a short term fix to help Jet out. That said, I agree with the poster above - these timings were my favorite for LHR-BOM. It was an out of the box time that isn’t really done on EU-India. Such a civilized time to fly. For winter season the flight is bootable for Jet. So this is just for summer.

mutu

Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:49 pm

Shanegill wrote:

And remember VS is a minority shareholder in a 3 way consortium ...... but certainly has influence

Luftymatt

Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:26 pm

cougar15 wrote:
mxaxai wrote:
Shanegill wrote:

Exactly, slot hogging until brighter ideas come around the corner......

I agree, same with the GCI service. Once daily on both of these routes doesn't show commitment to these destinations, they're just keeping the slots warm until something else comes along.
chase the sun

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos