aerokiwi

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:52 am

tullamarine wrote:
Melbourne has 8 standoff bays for heavies : D13 D15 G57A G60A G54A H1 H2 and H3. Soon we will also have F21A and F22 capable of handling B789 or A359.
Planes moved to stand off bays are: EK380 EK77W EY789 BI788 MH333 LA789 MH333 QF789 VA77W and 1 or 2 JQ 788. Usually the QF789 is parked over in the Qantas domestic terminal. Also some planes are move to T4.

The MEL Master Plan refers to the addition of another 5 international standoff bays over the next 5 years. Whilst good, this fails to address the chronic lack of gates and facilities in T2. The only new gates in the 5 year period are 2 A350 capable swing gates linked with T1 and T3. The plan for a renewed T2 is well overdue even though some very hazy concept drawing were released nearly 2 years ago. Even then, the plan is quite limited given the limited real estate available. Bussing should only be a last resort. There is nothing more frustrating after a 10-14 hour flight than being shuffled onto a bus for what can often be a long journey back to the terminal. I'm sure pax satisfaction ratings dive as soon as they are loaded onto buses.

I was surprised when the master plan came out that it didn't propose the conversion of T3 into an international terminal with a new domestic terminal (T5) built south of T4 for VA. It is still vaguely referred to as a plan but only in the 30 year timeframe which is pretty much meaningless.

Over the past few weeks I have travelled through Asia visiting CGK, SIN, PVG and HKG. Whilst they all have limitations(principally runway capacity), all of these airports show what is possible with good planning. Coming back into Australia is depressing where it seems airport owners are more interested in running a shopping centre that charges exorbitant car parking fees than world-class airports.

I've always thought it more sensible fof the Qantas terminal to be converted to international, while building a brand new terminal for QF on the south side of T4, where Jetstar operates exclusively. Renovate the VA terminal, including extending the second pier, and whamo, you've got some serious terminal capacity.

tullamarine

Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:28 am

aerokiwi wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
Melbourne has 8 standoff bays for heavies : D13 D15 G57A G60A G54A H1 H2 and H3. Soon we will also have F21A and F22 capable of handling B789 or A359.
Planes moved to stand off bays are: EK380 EK77W EY789 BI788 MH333 LA789 MH333 QF789 VA77W and 1 or 2 JQ 788. Usually the QF789 is parked over in the Qantas domestic terminal. Also some planes are move to T4.

The MEL Master Plan refers to the addition of another 5 international standoff bays over the next 5 years. Whilst good, this fails to address the chronic lack of gates and facilities in T2. The only new gates in the 5 year period are 2 A350 capable swing gates linked with T1 and T3. The plan for a renewed T2 is well overdue even though some very hazy concept drawing were released nearly 2 years ago. Even then, the plan is quite limited given the limited real estate available. Bussing should only be a last resort. There is nothing more frustrating after a 10-14 hour flight than being shuffled onto a bus for what can often be a long journey back to the terminal. I'm sure pax satisfaction ratings dive as soon as they are loaded onto buses.

I was surprised when the master plan came out that it didn't propose the conversion of T3 into an international terminal with a new domestic terminal (T5) built south of T4 for VA. It is still vaguely referred to as a plan but only in the 30 year timeframe which is pretty much meaningless.

Over the past few weeks I have travelled through Asia visiting CGK, SIN, PVG and HKG. Whilst they all have limitations(principally runway capacity), all of these airports show what is possible with good planning. Coming back into Australia is depressing where it seems airport owners are more interested in running a shopping centre that charges exorbitant car parking fees than world-class airports.

I've always thought it more sensible fof the Qantas terminal to be converted to international, while building a brand new terminal for QF on the south side of T4, where Jetstar operates exclusively. Renovate the VA terminal, including extending the second pier, and whamo, you've got some serious terminal capacity.

That is possible but as Terminal 1 already has growth available through the addition of an A concourse (where catering is currently located), I would think it makes more sense to leave it with QF domestic so they have a growth path in their existing facility. T3 is the oldest (or more correctly worded, least updated) terminal and is pretty inefficiently designed which is not surprising given it is almost 50 years old. Making the tough decision and completely rebuilding it alongside an updated T2 would seem to have been a long-sighted decision rather than just tacking more gates onto the end of Concourse E as is currently proposed in the 30 year plan. The master plan includes a 15 gate T5 south of T4 and parallel with the new runway which would then be ideal for VA.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

aerokiwi

Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:43 am

But that further constrains international terminal expansion - they could probably fill those 10 gates now, or near to it. I would have thought the T1 option - with growth potential I wasn't aware of, thanks! - would buy them even more space for growth. Presumably QF would want to be in a fairly new facility too, though they seem happy with the current semi-dungeon that is T1.

anstar

Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:25 am

Melbourne could also be bold and build a main midfield terminal that would be in the centre of the proposed additional runways. The current patch work of expansion is not really efficient or user friendly. Try getting a seat at T4 for during the busy periods... and that escalator at T3 from check in to the concourse is so busy not to mention the congestion on the roads leading into the terminal in peaks (ie 6am)... it needs a major rethink for the future.

tullamarine

Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:32 am

aerokiwi wrote:
But that further constrains international terminal expansion - they could probably fill those 10 gates now, or near to it. I would have thought the T1 option - with growth potential I wasn't aware of, thanks! - would buy them even more space for growth. Presumably QF would want to be in a fairly new facility too, though they seem happy with the current semi-dungeon that is T1.

A rebuild of T3 would end up with more than 10 gates. The current 30 year plan forecasts 5 extra gates tacked onto the end of the existing E concourse. Realistically an all-new T3 would probably have 7 NB gates on the north side where space between the D&E concourses is limited as well as 5 WB gates on the south side. Such a facility would be of huge benefit to the international capacity as the current T2 has NB planes flying to NZ, DPS etc using gates capable of taking A330s etc.

You are correct that T1 is no palace but all 3 original terminals are now quite limited. In a perfect world, you'd start again with all of them. T1 does have the benefit of being able to grow with a new A concourse. The development of T4 has left T3 landlocked which leads to my suggestion to knock it down and incorporate it into T2. A more radical suggestion may be to turn T2 into a shared domestic terminal linking all 3 original terminals into a modern domestic complex and building a showcase international terminal south of T4; the chances of that happening are slightly less than zero!
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:04 am

A Jetstar 788 from fluctuations in both engines as it approached KIX on 29 March. Aircraft affected is VH-VKJ and still remains at KIX

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/jet ... -problems/

As a result a QF 744 operated SYD-HNL yesterday on behalf of JQ

http://theqantassource.com/qantas-b747- ... u-charter/
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:10 am

Virgin has refuted QF's claims on proposed codeshare on with CX will not reduce competition

http://australianaviation.com.au/2019/0 ... codeshare/
Forum Moderator

qf2220

Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:25 am

eamondzhang wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
This is news, considering MEL is almost full out both in gate and parking space in the morning.

Michael

Consistent schedule with the SYD/AKL flight ex SCL. Which as a former frequent user was a brilliant flight (timewise) to Australia, perhaps one of the best ive ever flown.

Indeed, brilliant timing and flight's long enough for a full 8hr sleep!

Michael

Most times i got nearer to the full 11, even in economy!

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:34 am

CityRail wrote:
SeaEagle8 wrote:

Agreed. Short-haul for VA cannot be doing well for them. Again, their recent financial report indicates international is worsening.
We've now discussed New Zealand for three months and again QF, JQ and NZ are outperforming VA.
QF and JQ both had loadfactors of 88-89% compared to 71% for VA. NZ fared better at 77%.
QF, JQ and NZ had almost identical load factors compared to Jan 2018.
VA had a LF of 75% in Jan 2018, therefore, they've lost 4% points which is significant.
This also shows QF, JQ and NZ have had most of their capacity increases absorbed, whereas VA has not.

I think VA can do one thing that perhaps can turnaround their NZ operation.

1. Re-time VA 145. The afternoon departure duplicates with its existing VA 147 which leaves just 3 hours behind.I propose the following times:

VA 145 SYD 22:40 - 04:30 AKL B738 D
VA 140 AKL 07:00 - 09:10 SYD B738 D

At this stage, there's only 1 red-eye ex-East Coast to AKL, the JQ 217. So I suspect whether this timing will be successful, if JQ can survive for some time, VA could replicate something in SYD.

2. Re-time VA 141. 10am departure is too late. No business or corporate pax will fly VA because you will simply lost a day of work as the result of flying them. I propose the following times:

VA 141 SYD 06:00 - 11:15 AKL B738 D
VA 142 AKL 13:15 - 14:55 SYD B738 D

3. As the result of this, we will also need to re-time the last pair of flights as well:

VA 147 SYD 19:15 - 00:20+1 AKL B738 D
VA 146 AKL 21:00 - 22:40 SYD B738 D

The latest flights departing AKL to SYD is QF 148, which departs at 18:05. The a lot later departure of VA 146 enables business passengers to finish their work/conference at 6pm and still able to return to Sydney in the same day.

The main disadvantage of this move means a long layover at AKL for VA. The only way to minimise this is for VA to consider whether they can use 1 aircraft, say VA 147 to operate 3 - 4 x daily NZ Domestic the next day between AKL and CHC/WLG before operating as VA 146 to SYD. Each domestic return will take 4 hours to complete including turnaround at airports (30 minute turnaround each sector) and I think this could provide a lifeline to Virgin perhaps.Qantas operated JetConnect and currently has Jetstar running NZ Domestic. So Virgin's entry should not be a big problem if they can make a way to fill up those seats.

This does not require additional aircraft so the only investment will be Working Capital Expenditures. If this doesn't work, they might need to release the Tiger out.

Having seen the numbers AKL is not the problem. Its elsewhere. Additionally the schedules that you have proposed simply wont work. AKL flights in particular begin and terminate in AKL (where SYD is concerned), such as they operate AKL-SYD-AKL not the other way around. On top of that turn times are based on 45 minutes for short haul international and 35 mins for domestic. If you are going to propose changes for AKL-SYD there is a good chance other short haul international routes will need to see schedule changes. I do not see operating NZ domestic a good idea, it would likely lead to a price war and no one will come out in front.
Forum Moderator

melpax

Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:37 am

Virgin cancelling staff travel on BI due to imposition of Sharia Law

https://www.theage.com.au/business/comp ... 51afg.html
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

Whatsaptudo

Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:44 am

melpax wrote:
Virgin cancelling staff travel on BI due to imposition of Sharia Law

https://www.theage.com.au/business/comp ... 51afg.html

Concidering QF’s vocal stance here in Australia during the Gay Marriage debate, I would say it would expect them to follow suit. If indeed they have a staff agreement at all.

eta unknown

Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:16 am

I don't think there is one and VA's action is a hollow gesture... if they were really serious VA would cancel the pax interline agreement. Oh wait- that's revenue- scrap that thought...

346fetish

Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:07 pm

Please enlighten me on VA’s BNE/MEL/SYD-LAX.

VA only have 5x 77Ws which are all deployed to LAX. A few weeks ago, a plane went belly up in LAX resulting in some delays and pax repro on DL. Basically, a fleet of 5 frames with no other equipment to cover for it can make for some interesting constraints.

Are BNE/MEL/SYD-LAX such good performers an additional layer of complexity can be justified?

I have very little knowledge of both the airline and those markets (code-shares, pax flow, etc.)

346fetish
"BA have got waterfalls in their head office. The only time we have waterfalls in the Ryanair office is when the toilet leaks."

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:16 pm

346fetish wrote:

VA only have 5x 77Ws which are all deployed to LAX. A few weeks ago, a plane went belly up in LAX resulting in some delays and pax repro on DL. Basically, a fleet of 5 frames with no other equipment to cover for it can make for some interesting constraints.

Are BNE/MEL/SYD-LAX such good performers an additional layer of complexity can be justified?

I have very little knowledge of both the airline and those markets (code-shares, pax flow, etc.)

346fetish

As I have stated on a few occasions VA really needs to consolidate both the A332 and 77W fleet into one type, I think the 789 would be the best solution due to its size plus a smaller frame would allow both BNE and MEL to go daily plus give them some flexibility when it comes to times that aircraft go tech and services could also be increased during holiday periods.

Yesterday there were 2 flights depart SYD for LAX, the normal flight plus VA9551 which ended up diverting to HNL, there is also a daylight flight currently in the air as VA9554 to BNE, judging by the amount of fuel it was carrying it was positioning back to BNE empty. I am pretty sure that this is fall out from a 77W going tech at LAX in the past few days.
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:48 pm

Qantas says its power over Australian airports is a myth

https://thewest.com.au/business/aviatio ... 881153091z
Forum Moderator

JQ321

Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:12 pm

qf789 wrote:
346fetish wrote:

346fetish

As I have stated on a few occasions VA really needs to consolidate both the A332 and 77W fleet into one type, I think the 789 would be the best solution due to its size plus a smaller frame would allow both BNE and MEL to go daily plus give them some flexibility when it comes to times that aircraft go tech and services could also be increased during holiday periods.

Yesterday there were 2 flights depart SYD for LAX, the normal flight plus VA9551 which ended up diverting to HNL, there is also a daylight flight currently in the air as VA9554 to BNE, judging by the amount of fuel it was carrying it was positioning back to BNE empty. I am pretty sure that this is fall out from a 77W going tech at LAX in the past few days.

Your right they need to consolidate their wide body fleet. However, they shouldn't and won't for a long time as their current fleet is young and doesn't need replacement and would be a really stupid decision on VA's part as they would e putting out a lot of cash when they're only just now making money again,

VHZNE

Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:15 pm

aerokiwi wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

Unfortunately there isn’t really any space to add on another terminal south of T4 due to the airport wanting to add 27L/09R in that grassed area.

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:32 pm

JQ321 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
346fetish wrote:

346fetish

Your right they need to consolidate their wide body fleet. However, they shouldn't and won't for a long time as their current fleet is young and doesn't need replacement and would be a really stupid decision on VA's part as they would e putting out a lot of cash when they're only just now making money again,

The likelihood of them leasing over buying is far more significant as they currently do with the majority of the 77W/A332 being leased. However saying that the same thing applies as taking on the 737MAX, a 789 would burn significantly less than the 77W therefore if these routes are not profitable year round a smaller more efficient jet could be the difference between a loss and a profit.
Forum Moderator

qf2220

Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:53 pm

The other thing with the 789 for VA is they would be cutting seats and reducing the load/yeild risk on each flight. Plus a common fleet reduces parts needs massively.

eamondzhang

Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:32 pm

One could also say the same thing to A350 especially since the plane is optimised more for longer routes - I can't recall where did I read this but over a long journey (i.e. HKG or LAX) A350 would burn less or equal amount of fuel than 789 and carry more payload. PER routes are not exactly short either so it could definitely be in the run.

Michael

KIGCA

Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:02 pm

A solution to Tullamarine’s capacity issues may be to make Avalon Melbournes international airport and have a high speed train service linking Southern Cross to Geelong via Sunshine and Avalon. Tullamarine would remain as a domestic airport. This would require a Sunshine interchange linking Tullamarine to Sunshine.
It would need to be a proper high speed trains as seen in forward thinking nations. I expect this will not happen!!

SCFlyer

Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:50 pm

IIRC, VA's entire Airbus A330 fleet and 1 of the 77W fleet are leased.
4 of the 5 VA 77Ws are owned outright.

Without knowing the details of VA's 737MAX order, was there the option of converting the MAX order to one of the widebody products? (to replace the leased A330s at least to at least make it all-Boeing WB fleet).

Saying that though, the slots for the 789s are likely to be almost (if not all) taken in the short-medium term. Which is another reason that would make VA widebody replacement even less likely in the medium term.

tullamarine

Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:32 am

The likelihood of them leasing over buying is far more significant as they currently do with the majority of the 77W/A332 being leased. However saying that the same thing applies as taking on the 737MAX, a 789 would burn significantly less than the 77W therefore if these routes are not profitable year round a smaller more efficient jet could be the difference between a loss and a profit.

4 of the 5 77Ws are owned. The secondhand market for wide-bodies generally is pretty dire so I doubt there would be any attempt to dispose of these in the short term. The only way they may be tempted is if Airbus or Boeing agreed to take the 77Ws as a trade-in as part of a new purchase deal.

tullamarine

Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:34 am

VHZNE wrote:
aerokiwi wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

Unfortunately there isn’t really any space to add on another terminal south of T4 due to the airport wanting to add 27L/09R in that grassed area.

There is actually space for a new terminal between T4 and the new runway. The 30 year plan shows a single-sided 15 gate domestic terminal running parallel to the new runway.

Qantas16

Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:25 am

KIGCA wrote:
A solution to Tullamarine’s capacity issues may be to make Avalon Melbournes international airport and have a high speed train service linking Southern Cross to Geelong via Sunshine and Avalon. Tullamarine would remain as a domestic airport. This would require a Sunshine interchange linking Tullamarine to Sunshine.
It would need to be a proper high speed trains as seen in forward thinking nations. I expect this will not happen!!

Goodbye to any Domestic - International connections then, suddenly all of the HBA/LST/ADL/CBR pax using MEL to transfer to international flights will go to SYD (and BNE/PER to lesser extent) instead.

VHZNE

Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:27 am

Qantas to wet lease two 747-8F from mid July:

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... ght-fleet/

vhebb

Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:30 am

No QF livery by the sounds of it...

VHZNE

Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:33 am

vhebb wrote:

Yes, which is a shame. Would’ve been cool to see something like what they had with Etihad.

brucetiki

Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:57 am

Sen. Anning's been expelled from QF's Chairmans Lounge

https://7news.com.au/news/australia/fre ... m=referral

346fetish

Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:26 am

qf789 wrote:
JQ321 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Agreed on the consolidation part. Would the A330-900NEO have the range for MEL/SYD/BNE-LAX? If yes, it seems like an interesting option as well. And why isn't VA 10 abreast on the W?
"BA have got waterfalls in their head office. The only time we have waterfalls in the Ryanair office is when the toilet leaks."

Obzerva

Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:39 am

KIGCA wrote:

Nor should it happen.

Why should a traveller need to fly in to Geelong to then connect to Melbourne just to transfer to a domestic flight.

People already complain about the transfer from international to domestic in SYD and BNE, they're one terminal to another, you're proposing the transfer be between two different cities!

tullamarine

Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:12 am

346fetish wrote:
qf789 wrote:
JQ321 wrote:

Agreed on the consolidation part. Would the A330-900NEO have the range for MEL/SYD/BNE-LAX? If yes, it seems like an interesting option as well. And why isn't VA 10 abreast on the W?

I don't think anyone really wants 10 abreast in Y. Partners DL and VA both have 9 abreast and market that they have the widest Economy seats across the Pacific. 10 abreast on a 777 (and 9 abreast on 787) is not comfortable with 737 width seats, tiny aisles and crammed overhead lockers.

qf2220

Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:20 am

VHZNE wrote:
vhebb wrote:

Yes, which is a shame. Would’ve been cool to see something like what they had with Etihad.

No its a reflection that the contract is non frame specific. Atlas rotates its aircraft through the QF contract (and others) as needed.

JQ321

Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:37 am

QANTAS Replacing their 2 Atlas Air 747-400F leases with 2 747-8F in Atlas Air Livery.
See Link:
http://australianaviation.com.au/2019/0 ... ty-747-8f/

eamondzhang

Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:46 am

Qantas16 wrote:
KIGCA wrote:

Goodbye to any Domestic - International connections then, suddenly all of the HBA/LST/ADL/CBR pax using MEL to transfer to international flights will go to SYD (and BNE/PER to lesser extent) instead.

Not to mention that AVV simply had no chance handling all these planes, or even 1/3 of the morning rush ones.

Michael

a320fan

Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:58 am

MELs issue goes right down to the original design of the airport precinct which doesn’t allow for a modern efficiently shaped terminal with growth abilities. Anything new is either going to result in either a very long complex or be disjointed.

I actually think it could be worth looking at a satellite INTL terminal either on the other side of 34 (tower probably gets in the way) or 27, with driverless train shuttles under the runways and aprons to connect it to the current D pier.

Also the ‘renovated’ security and departure immigration hall feels smaller and more congestion prone than when I last went through it in 2017.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300

tullamarine

Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:55 am

a320fan wrote:
MELs issue goes right down to the original design of the airport precinct which doesn’t allow for a modern efficiently shaped terminal with growth abilities. Anything new is either going to result in either a very long complex or be disjointed.

I actually think it could be worth looking at a satellite INTL terminal either on the other side of 34 (tower probably gets in the way) or 27, with driverless train shuttles under the runways and aprons to connect it to the current D pier.

Also the ‘renovated’ security and departure immigration hall feels smaller and more congestion prone than when I last went through it in 2017.

The strength of being all terminals being joined has also become a weakness with passenger travelling through the terminals now many times larger than was envisaged when the three original terminals were designed in the 1960s. Available space is not an issue; MEL has over 2600 hectares of land but the terminal complex (excluding car parking) only uses 60 hectares in the eastern corner of the facility.

A satellite terminal is discussed in the 30 year plan but only in very general terms but it will be in the middle of the 4 runways near the tower. How it is accessed etc is not given any detail. The plan also talks of a driverless passenger transfer system (think SIN or KUL) linking all terminals being required if T5 is ever developed south of T4. This is obvious as the terminal precinct will by that stage stretch nearly 1500m from end to end. A long complex of terminals is not an issue as most people only ever visit a single terminal and the availability of a transfer system caters for the smaller percentage who need to move between the terminals.

MEL will have direct rail access to the city over the next decade with a single station at the airport probably near T4. It is to be hoped that whatever plans are being developed for the station also include provision for this to seamlessly link with whatever automated transfer system is finally agreed upon.

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:04 am

Airbus has updated flight warning system after VARA incident on A320 operating PER-OCM in September 2015

http://australianaviation.com.au/2019/0 ... -incident/
Forum Moderator

KIGCA

Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:46 am

Obzerva wrote:
KIGCA wrote:
Why should a traveller need to fly in to Geelong to then connect to Melbourne just to transfer to a domestic flight.

People already complain about the transfer from international to domestic in SYD and BNE, they're one terminal to another, you're proposing the transfer be between two different cities!

Haha, I am suggesting this a little tongue in cheek as Melbourne airport pays little regard to Aircraft movements or ammenities. They seem intent on increasing car park revenue and retail space. A little competition would go a long way!!
That being said a proper fast train service between Avalon and Melbourne with a 3 minute stop at Sunshine would be quicker than the current transfer between Sydney terminals.

melpax

Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:29 am

tullamarine wrote:
a320fan wrote:

The strength of being all terminals being joined has also become a weakness with passenger travelling through the terminals now many times larger than was envisaged when the three original terminals were designed in the 1960s. Available space is not an issue; MEL has over 2600 hectares of land but the terminal complex (excluding car parking) only uses 60 hectares in the eastern corner of the facility.

A satellite terminal is discussed in the 30 year plan but only in very general terms but it will be in the middle of the 4 runways near the tower. How it is accessed etc is not given any detail. The plan also talks of a driverless passenger transfer system (think SIN or KUL) linking all terminals being required if T5 is ever developed south of T4. This is obvious as the terminal precinct will by that stage stretch nearly 1500m from end to end. A long complex of terminals is not an issue as most people only ever visit a single terminal and the availability of a transfer system caters for the smaller percentage who need to move between the terminals.

MEL will have direct rail access to the city over the next decade with a single station at the airport probably near T4. It is to be hoped that whatever plans are being developed for the station also include provision for this to seamlessly link with whatever automated transfer system is finally agreed upon.

Interesting supplement from The Age on the opening of Tulla back in 1970!

Page 16 will take you to an article which states that the airport was built for the 'next 30 years'. The original design hasn't done too badly considering it's now 50 years since the opening, and T3 was almost kept to the original design until recently!

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid= ... page&hl=en

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:58 pm

Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:30 am

Cobham wins new FIFO customer, PER-KGI 2 weekly

https://australianaviation.com.au/2019/ ... -customer/
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:46 am

The first retrofitted DL 77L is now its way to SYD featuring its new Delta One Business Class seats. Delta also says the upgraded aircraft aligns more with VA now offering a more consistent customer experience

https://australianaviation.com.au/2019/ ... m-april-5/
Forum Moderator

BAeRJ100

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:02 am

qf789 wrote:
Cobham winds new FIFO customer, PER-KGI 2 weekly

https://australianaviation.com.au/2019/ ... -customer/

Very delayed announcement as the contract has been flown for around 2 months now already.
B737/738/739/744ER/752/753/763/77L/77W/788/789
A223/320/321/332/333/346/359/388
MD82/MD88/717/F100/RJ85/RJ100/146-100/200/300
E175/190/CRJ700/900

melpax

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:31 am

STA travel stops selling BI flights due to Sharia backlash.

Will be interesting to see if Flight Centre follows suit. Though STA targets themselves towards younger travellers.

https://www.news.com.au/national/breaki ... 77eee57143

a320fan

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:10 am

melpax wrote:
STA travel stops selling BI flights due to Sharia backlash.

Will be interesting to see if Flight Centre follows suit. Though STA targets themselves towards younger travellers.

https://www.news.com.au/national/breaki ... 77eee57143

Interesting as STA usually use BIs low fares as their headline advertisement to London.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300

TasFlyer

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:30 am

I forgot to mention yesterday, 4 April, marked the ten year anniversary of Virgin Blue, as it was then, commencing HBA-CBR in the E70. This route lasted for over four years, with the final service running on 28 April 2013.

Flyingsottsman

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:24 pm

KIGCA wrote:

Um, let us have a look, Labour Government under John Cain/Joan Kerner in the 80s the city rail lop was built but no train line to Melbourne Airport, Jeff Kennett Liberal Government of the early 90s, City Link was built Tullamarine Fwy widened up to Bell Street but no rail line to the Airport, another Labour Government under Steve Bracks/ John Brumby rail was promised before the election, once Labour won new Government said it will cost to much and wont make money so plans for railway to airport scrapped. Another Liberal Government elected, plans for a railway from Spencer Street Station to Airport much fanfare under Denis Natphaine lasts one term then voted out no rail link to the airport, now another Labour Government in, seems rely keen to do this, Federal Government said they have money ready to go for this. Interesting idea you have there but here in Victoria we have heard and seen this that many times we just don't believe it, and if it does happen we will be waiting another decade before they even start digging. So you are right it will not happen.

log0008

Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:46 pm

Selling flights from Royal Brunei might not be an issue soon, hearing high level talks going to to ban carrier from Melbourne, lead by the state government.

melpax

Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:08 pm

a320fan wrote:

Interesting as STA usually use BIs low fares as their headline advertisement to London.

As do Flight Centre. Though some of the Chinese airlines have been around the same price on MEL-LHR, have even seen Flight Centre advertise rock bottom MEL-JFK fares of $1100 or so on the likes of China Southern, etc.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos