Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 10
 
Flyingsottsman
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:08 pm

ausworld wrote:
Years ago Qantas operated a B767 HBA-MEL-SIN but in the end it never paid. Also Air New Zealand / TAA / Ansett operated mainly seasonal flights to N.Z. from HBA. At the time none were really economical. Recently it was proposed that QF would operated the B767F Freigher HBA-DRW-China somewhere. However times are changing and maybe I can see N.Z. somewhere will come online eventually.


Yeah I would put money on that, been talk a long while even through just rumour, that Air New Zealand would come back to Hobart, I recon they would do well out of Hobart. I think Tasmanians would prefer one stop to the US or any other destination in the Pacific rather than fly to either Melbourne or Sydney change planes do customs and immigration, when they could do that in Hobart and by-pass the mainland altogether. I recon ANZ would do well this time round.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11162
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:48 pm

Captdasbomb wrote:
JQ321 wrote:
EK413 wrote:

Highly doubt it especially with the QF3 | QF4 eventually reverting back to A330 equipment and a spare B787-9 operating 6 x weekly SYD-HKG services therefore enough slack within the fleet to Op an odd JQ charter.

EK413

There is no slack in the 787 Fleet as that 1 doing SYD-HKG x 6 also does 1 x BNE-HKG and 2 for BNE-LAX-JFK 1 for BNE -LAX and 4 for LAX-MEL-PER-LHR.
Also the A330 for QF3/4 is only starting in August so not much slack after VH-OEB is retired.Until August.


There’s a bit of slack as the SYD-HKG-SYD x 6days & BNE-HKG-BNEx 1dayis 1 frame. The 2nd BNE-LAX is not daily so there’s the slack . They are now using the frame for BNE-PER-BNE on Fridays as part of the training program. 2 new frames are due in Q4 not sure where they will be posted. Possibly Sydney to do San Francisco


3 789's are due in Q4 not 2
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11162
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:52 pm

rtav wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
Flyerqf wrote:

Utilisation is down to 10 aircraft this winter vs 11 last winter. So my question remains, are they reducing utilisation for the refurbs? Seems from your answer that they are.


I might be missing something obvious but what has changed since last winter to free up one frame? I can't think of any changes.


I believe QF127/128 was previously op by A388, now op by B789 6 weekly and A333 1 weekly.


The A388 only operates SYD-HKG in peak periods. For the most part of last year they had 10 A388's in service while one was out for maintenance and the other was for painting. There had been no change in utilisation
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11162
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:59 pm

Virgin's A332 VH-XFJ went tech in PER on Sunday, initially suppose to operate VA686got the A332 that was suppose to originally operate VA694 so VA694 was delayed to a redeye, hence the 2 redeyes to MEL overnight, VA698 was originally suppose to be A332, the one operating the inbound VA470 but that got downgraded to 738 so that frame could operate VA694. There are some delays for today VA556/684/693, the first 2 will have about an hour delay, 693 is looking at a 2 hour delay. Of course all this is subject to change.
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8468
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:55 pm

vhebb wrote:
My guess is SYD-SFO-SYD for the next 787 deliveries, aircraft can be rotated with the existing MEL-SFO-MEL flights.


Good point about being able to rotate MEL-SFO-SYD. That would allow HKG to be 7x SYD which would be better from a logistics perspective than the 6/1 split.

I agree that SFO is almost certainly the next route to lose the 747, although I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't change until Feb next 2020, to keep the additional capacity of the 747 on the route over peak season. Assuming that HKG goes back to an A380 at the same time then that leaves 3 spare 787s which gives a lot of flexibility for seasonal LAX frequencies and other seasonal capacity over peak season.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
a320fan
Posts: 854
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:04 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:17 pm

Will YVR operate this summer? Perhaps as a 789 service? Potential for it to be extended to a year round service?
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400
 
ben175
Posts: 807
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:44 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:41 pm

Just a super hypothetical “what if” question - but does the 380 have the legs to do PER-Europe in the QF config? PER-FRA is shorter than AKL-DXB. I assume LHR would be restricted heavily.
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 7536
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:46 pm

a320fan wrote:
Will YVR operate this summer? Perhaps as a 789 service? Potential for it to be extended to a year round service?


I believe it’s only scheduled in DEC19 JAN 20 rather than June July this year. The current 789s probably don’t have enough Y seats for YVR, I’d say it will get a 744 this year atleast. The 789s have more important routes and I agree SYD-SFO makes the most sense for the next route.
 
jimmyah
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:53 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:06 pm

Flyingsottsman wrote:
ausworld wrote:
Years ago Qantas operated a B767 HBA-MEL-SIN but in the end it never paid. Also Air New Zealand / TAA / Ansett operated mainly seasonal flights to N.Z. from HBA. At the time none were really economical. Recently it was proposed that QF would operated the B767F Freigher HBA-DRW-China somewhere. However times are changing and maybe I can see N.Z. somewhere will come online eventually.


Yeah I would put money on that, been talk a long while even through just rumour, that Air New Zealand would come back to Hobart, I recon they would do well out of Hobart. I think Tasmanians would prefer one stop to the US or any other destination in the Pacific rather than fly to either Melbourne or Sydney change planes do customs and immigration, when they could do that in Hobart and by-pass the mainland altogether. I recon ANZ would do well this time round.


Not reading too much into it, but I was reading Air NZ's inflight magazine onboard yesterday and they had an article on Tasmania/Hobart talking about the increase in tourism.
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 1876
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:36 pm

rtav wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
Flyerqf wrote:

Utilisation is down to 10 aircraft this winter vs 11 last winter. So my question remains, are they reducing utilisation for the refurbs? Seems from your answer that they are.


I might be missing something obvious but what has changed since last winter to free up one frame? I can't think of any changes.


I believe QF127/128 was previously op by A388, now op by B789 6 weekly and A333 1 weekly.

A388 is summer only and usually is Dec-Mar. Other times it was a 744/333 rotation (more A330 since the reintroduction of QF117/8).

Michael
 
User avatar
rtav
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:10 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:24 am

ben175 wrote:
Just a super hypothetical “what if” question - but does the 380 have the legs to do PER-Europe in the QF config? PER-FRA is shorter than AKL-DXB. I assume LHR would be restricted heavily.


It wouldn’t be to do with range, it would be to do with profitability and the fact that Qantas will want to use T3 at Perth which can’t handle the A380.
 
smi0006
Posts: 2580
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:59 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
a320fan wrote:
Will YVR operate this summer? Perhaps as a 789 service? Potential for it to be extended to a year round service?


I believe it’s only scheduled in DEC19 JAN 20 rather than June July this year. The current 789s probably don’t have enough Y seats for YVR, I’d say it will get a 744 this year atleast. The 789s have more important routes and I agree SYD-SFO makes the most sense for the next route.


I still wonder if there is another lower J confit coming for the likes of SFO, YVR, SCL, JNB? I still feel a couple of these routes could also be good A359 routes for slightly higher volume. A mix of ULR 350 and standard would being nice commonality for flexible missions.
 
qantas747
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 12:51 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:46 am

smi0006 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
a320fan wrote:
Will YVR operate this summer? Perhaps as a 789 service? Potential for it to be extended to a year round service?


I believe it’s only scheduled in DEC19 JAN 20 rather than June July this year. The current 789s probably don’t have enough Y seats for YVR, I’d say it will get a 744 this year atleast. The 789s have more important routes and I agree SYD-SFO makes the most sense for the next route.


I still wonder if there is another lower J confit coming for the likes of SFO, YVR, SCL, JNB? I still feel a couple of these routes could also be good A359 routes for slightly higher volume. A mix of ULR 350 and standard would being nice commonality for flexible missions.


I used to think that one would be useful, say 30J21Y210Y (ish) but I think the higher premium config suits the push toward frequency.

Ie. Take SCL. Currently 4pw 58J 36W 270Y or 232J 144W 1080Y.
Compared to daily premium 789 ; 294J 196W 1162Y
Provides a slight increase in Y capacity and opens up more premium seats which would become more attractive to corporates with a daily schedule. Dropping to say 30J would result in a decrease in capacity to SCL in this scenario.

JNB is a slightly different story but I think would still benefit from a higher premium config when combined eith a 3-4pw 330 from PER.

Ie current 6pw 348J 216W 1620Y
7pw 789 is 294J 196W 1162Y
3pw 332(27J,224Y) from PER 81J 672Y
Total 375J 196W 1834Y

Again a modest increase in capacity but provides more options for growth.

The 388 may play a role in peak periods to provide additional capacity.

I do agree that SYD-SFO would seem to be the next destination for the 789 with a premium 789. The loss in capacity would be countered by an increase on MEL-SFO to daily or perhaps a new SYD/BNE-ORD or even both. The PM departure ties in to a likely SFO--SYD-PER-CDG type operation being on the cards.
 
SYDSpotter
Posts: 898
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:10 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:38 am

ben175 wrote:
Just a super hypothetical “what if” question - but does the 380 have the legs to do PER-Europe in the QF config? PER-FRA is shorter than AKL-DXB. I assume LHR would be restricted heavily.


PER-LHR is about 450 miles longer than DFW-SYD, so given the DFW-SYD leg is payload restricted, PER-Europe would also be payload limited on the A380.

A 744ER could do PER-LHR, it's just a matter of how many people you can take on board...
319_320_321_332_333_359_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789
 
Pcoder
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:44 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:28 am

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14225

Canberra airport will be expanding its taxiways. HBA should take note (still doesn't have full length taxiways)
 
TasFlyer
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:55 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:55 am

Pcoder wrote:
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6067935/canberra-airport-to-expand-runway-to-improve-taxi-times/?cs=14225

Canberra airport will be expanding its taxiways. HBA should take note (still doesn't have full length taxiways)


Yes, although HBA has no cross-runway to delay taxiing aircraft, it would still save time by obviating the need to hold short when simultaneous aircraft movements occur.
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5572
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:38 am

QF B744 VH-OEJ positioned this morning as QF6025 SYD-HKG for heavy mx.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
getluv
Posts: 594
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:26 pm

News Corp is reporting that QF will be commencing a seasonal service between SYD-CTS (Sapporo). 3-weekly with A330s. Commences 16 December 2019 until the end of March.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/business/c ... om=htc_rss
I'm that bad type.
 
qf002
Posts: 3681
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:14 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:38 pm

Awesome add but I find it crazy that they are opening a route like SYD-CTS while there are still such big gaps elsewhere.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8468
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:20 pm

qf002 wrote:
Awesome add but I find it crazy that they are opening a route like SYD-CTS while there are still such big gaps elsewhere.


As a seasonal frequency it makes a lot of sense. Fares to Japan are so high during ski season that this is a very, very low risk move to make a lot of money for 3 months. It also has the benefit of not committing resources for longer than that, as I increasingly feel like the Qantas fleet plan can be best described as 'wing it and hope it all falls into place'.

I actually like the out of the box thinking, this is the sort of think Qantas would never have done 5-10 years ago.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
smi0006
Posts: 2580
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:34 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
qf002 wrote:
Awesome add but I find it crazy that they are opening a route like SYD-CTS while there are still such big gaps elsewhere.


As a seasonal frequency it makes a lot of sense. Fares to Japan are so high during ski season that this is a very, very low risk move to make a lot of money for 3 months. It also has the benefit of not committing resources for longer than that, as I increasingly feel like the Qantas fleet plan can be best described as 'wing it and hope it all falls into place'.

I actually like the out of the box thinking, this is the sort of think Qantas would never have done 5-10 years ago.


I personally view them as increasingly agile, and with a new mindset of thinking out side the box, on routes and frequencies. VS the old min 4 flights a week permanent or don’t bother.

More curious where this frame is coming from. Still feel QF could do with some more 330s and surprised they didn’t lease or purchase a couple more second hand. Perhaps it’s too late now with fleet replacement coming up in the mid terms
 
vhebb
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:25 pm

The biggest gaps in the QF network:

ICN, TPE, PER-JNB, MEL-BKK, plus now with the Jet Aiways issues you can add BOM.
 
DeltaB717
Posts: 1722
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:30 pm

vhebb wrote:
The biggest gaps in the QF network:

ICN, TPE, PER-JNB, MEL-BKK, plus now with the Jet Aiways issues you can add BOM.


ICN & TPE are on the QF network - not their metal, but I think TPE at least would fit into "why have a dog and bark yourself". MEL-BKK is opb JQ, but agree it could probably do with QF as well (I just wonder if it's really that high a priority right now). PER-JNB I completely agree with you on, but we all know what's going on there.

CTS does make sense as a NW seasonal service.
 
Whatsaptudo
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:54 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:33 pm

i would have thought this more of a JQ route.
 
DeltaB717
Posts: 1722
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:37 pm

Whatsaptudo wrote:
i would have thought this more of a JQ route.


JQ doesn't have the equipment available - their 787s are fully utilized (even without VKJ being stranded in Japan).

And also QF can probably command quite the premium in both cabins with the demand for skiing in Japan.
 
DeltaB717
Posts: 1722
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:44 pm

Official announcement:

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... o-sapporo/

16/12/19 - 28/3/20 is the operational period. Available for bookings from today.
 
getluv
Posts: 594
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:07 am

No introductory sale fares. QF must be really confident.
I'm that bad type.
 
AsiaTravel
Posts: 328
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:28 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:18 am

Just thinking out loud: could the opening of KIX and CTS be a preemptive measure to maintain capacity to Japan before HND switches to a smaller frame?
 
log0008
Posts: 484
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:17 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:42 am

Disappointed QF didn't opt for MEL-KIX which has been mentioned internally but SYD-CTS sure is interesting.
 
a19901213
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:38 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:44 am

Great, more bogans in Hokkaido ski resorts...

But still Sapporo is a great city to visit and I’m guessing the Hokkaido province is also subsidising this route.
 
JQ321
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:40 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:45 am

log0008 wrote:
Disappointed QF didn't opt for MEL-KIX which has been mentioned internally but SYD-CTS sure is interesting.

I'm also disappointed that QANTAS didn't opt for a route which would've less profitable than the one they did. They should launch flights from Adelaide to Laos.
 
User avatar
Velocity7
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:24 am

getluv wrote:
News Corp is reporting that QF will be commencing a seasonal service between SYD-CTS (Sapporo). 3-weekly with A330s. Commences 16 December 2019 until the end of March.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/business/c ... om=htc_rss


Awesome addition. For us non Sydneysiders in BNE or MEL, what's the better choice - connection in SYD or NRT to CTS?
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8468
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:17 am

Velocity7 wrote:
getluv wrote:
News Corp is reporting that QF will be commencing a seasonal service between SYD-CTS (Sapporo). 3-weekly with A330s. Commences 16 December 2019 until the end of March.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/business/c ... om=htc_rss


Awesome addition. For us non Sydneysiders in BNE or MEL, what's the better choice - connection in SYD or NRT to CTS?


From BNE, NRT unless you want an o-dark hundred departure to connect in SYD due to daylight savings.

From MEL, personal preference. Connecting in NRT is easier as it is a same-terminal connection but SYD-CTS would get you to Sapporo earlier (albeit with an earlier departure from MEL) which is convenient if you are transferring straight to Nisseko (or wherever) the evening you arrive.

Heading south, I'd opt for NRT both due to the easier transit and you would depart CTS mid-afternoon so you are not hanging around for hours after check-out time.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
a19901213
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:38 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:47 am

Velocity7 wrote:
getluv wrote:
News Corp is reporting that QF will be commencing a seasonal service between SYD-CTS (Sapporo). 3-weekly with A330s. Commences 16 December 2019 until the end of March.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/business/c ... om=htc_rss


Awesome addition. For us non Sydneysiders in BNE or MEL, what's the better choice - connection in SYD or NRT to CTS?


TPE with CI actually seems to be the best option.

Easy transit and good hardware and software.
 
getluv
Posts: 594
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:53 am

For MEL pax it would be a personal preference but from the limited research I have done, via SYD does seem the fastest by nearly 2 hours. CI, CX or JL would require flying overnight and in JL's case, changing airports. Ex BNE, QF seems to be faster by an hour despite the backtrack, however KE isn't that far behind on the return if you wanted to travel via ICN.
I'm that bad type.
 
a19901213
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:38 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:13 am

I rather spend more time transiting through HKG,NRT,ICN,TPE than going through immigration and pick up luggage and change the terminal in Sydney when coming back south.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11162
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:58 am

BITRE domestic figures out for February

https://bitre.gov.au/publications/ongoi ... y_2019.pdf
Forum Moderator
 
QF744ER
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:21 am

Hearing DFW becomes a B787 from November which in-turn frees up A380's for use elsewhere in the network, some are saying JNB.
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1982
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:27 am

QF744ER wrote:
Hearing DFW becomes a B787 from November which in-turn frees up A380's for use elsewhere in the network, some are saying JNB.


Surely as a 2x 787 for 1 A380 right?
 
Qantas16
Posts: 770
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:32 am

a19901213 wrote:
I rather spend more time transiting through HKG,NRT,ICN,TPE than going through immigration and pick up luggage and change the terminal in Sydney when coming back south.


Whilst often the cheapest option, don't discount PR as a competitor in the Australia - Japan market as it is, geographically, one of the best options and has flights to HND/NRT/KIX/NGO/FUK/CTS... I have heard they carry a significant amount on their BNE-MNL run connecting to HND in particular, not sure about ex-MEL/SYD.
 
JQ321
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:40 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:32 am

qf2220 wrote:
QF744ER wrote:
Hearing DFW becomes a B787 from November which in-turn frees up A380's for use elsewhere in the network, some are saying JNB.


Surely as a 2x 787 for 1 A380 right?

7x SYD-DFW and 3x MEL-DFW (weekly)
so 3x787 for 2 A380
 
User avatar
bjwonline
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:10 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:36 am

I'm wondering if the SYD-CTS decision was also influenced in part to the decreasing 744 fleet and lack of ability to serve SYD-YVR in the near future? Re-directing skiing travellers away from the Vancouver region to Northern Japan instead could see the end of the YVR flight but still provides QF an option for this market. If YVR doesn't return and you put that with rumours of SYD-SFO changing to 789 with the next deliveries, we will be down to just three destinations served by the 744, two of which has been long assumed as the last remaining 744 flights QF will have.

The end of the Queen's reign is coming and while very sad in many ways, it's also very interesting. Unlike many other fleet type retirements that just see a direct replacement, the winding down of the 744 with QF sure is giving us much more to think and talk about.
 
getluv
Posts: 594
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:02 am

Given QF’s keen interest in leisure travellers of late, I would think SYD-YVR is likely to stay.
I'm that bad type.
 
QF742
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:00 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:29 am

JQ321 wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
QF744ER wrote:
Hearing DFW becomes a B787 from November which in-turn frees up A380's for use elsewhere in the network, some are saying JNB.


Surely as a 2x 787 for 1 A380 right?

7x SYD-DFW and 3x MEL-DFW (weekly)
so 3x787 for 2 A380


Is it possible the reason for the 789 switch is just to allow for the cabin refits of the 388?
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11162
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:42 am

QF742 wrote:
JQ321 wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

Surely as a 2x 787 for 1 A380 right?

7x SYD-DFW and 3x MEL-DFW (weekly)
so 3x787 for 2 A380


Is it possible the reason for the 789 switch is just to allow for the cabin refits of the 388?


Unlikely unless they plan for more than 1 A388 to be reconfigured at a time
Forum Moderator
 
smi0006
Posts: 2580
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:03 am

qf789 wrote:
QF742 wrote:
JQ321 wrote:
7x SYD-DFW and 3x MEL-DFW (weekly)
so 3x787 for 2 A380


Is it possible the reason for the 789 switch is just to allow for the cabin refits of the 388?


Unlikely unless they plan for more than 1 A388 to be reconfigured at a time


Makes sense, but where would the other 380 go? JNB seems unlikely to me, but perhaps this is a result of PER-JNB being shelved for the time being due to the PAPL spat?

Other options; HKG permanently? Back to DXB?
 
melpax
Posts: 2070
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:13 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:09 am

Qantas16 wrote:
Whilst often the cheapest option, don't discount PR as a competitor in the Australia - Japan market as it is, geographically, one of the best options and has flights to HND/NRT/KIX/NGO/FUK/CTS... I have heard they carry a significant amount on their BNE-MNL run connecting to HND in particular, not sure about ex-MEL/SYD.


Flying MEL-Tokyo, returning via KIX in July. STA travel tried to sell me PR flights as the cheapest option, not a bad airline, but the thought of spending 4-5 hours in Manila airport on transit was a deal breaker, as well as the flight timings - 04:40 departure from MEL, which meant a 02:40 checkin, and a 03:00 arrival - any savings would be eaten up by uber/taxi fares! Flying Thai instead for an extra $100 bucks, BKK transfer much better than MNL, and civilised flight timings (mid-afternoon departure & lunchtime arrival back in MEL).
Essendon - Whatever it takes......
 
User avatar
rtav
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:10 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:22 am

Singapore Airlines to operate A350-900 Regional on 1 of 4 daily Perth flights from the 3rd of June (03/06/19).

SQ213 SIN0740 - 1250PER A359 D
SQ226 PER1405 - 1935SIN A359 D
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11162
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:32 am

smi0006 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
QF742 wrote:

Is it possible the reason for the 789 switch is just to allow for the cabin refits of the 388?


Unlikely unless they plan for more than 1 A388 to be reconfigured at a time


Makes sense, but where would the other 380 go? JNB seems unlikely to me, but perhaps this is a result of PER-JNB being shelved for the time being due to the PAPL spat?

Other options; HKG permanently? Back to DXB?


I agree about JNB being unlikely, the only way I could see JNB happening if frequency is reduced, the market has not really grown in sometime, on the other hand they could operate JNB 4 weekly and start a CPT service 3 weekly though I don't believe CPT is A380 compliant yet and that would be quite risky to start a new service with the A388, the only other alternative is to start that with the 789. Apart from HKG and possibly SIN (hypothetically if QF want to operated the third daily more often they could consolidate the 2 flights into 1 and free up 2 A330's for other routes), the only route that sticks out to me atm is SFO. I am a bit mixed on SFO, this could actually be the last 744 route, makes it practical for sending the 744's to the boneyard but at the same time they could upgrade the 6 weekly 744 to a 3 weekly A380 and 3 weekly 789 which would keep seat numbers relatively even, operating the 789 4 weekly would add just over 200 seats a week to the market, in this scenario they could reduce MEL-SFO to 3 weekly, ditch the 789 MEL-LAX and open up a 3 weekly MEL-DFW. 789's could be rotated through SFO instead of LAX.

On the subject of DFW if this goes 789 I do wonder if AA will also jump on the route to keep capacity the same. Of course this is all dependent to the AA/QF joint venture
Forum Moderator
 
getluv
Posts: 594
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:30 am

The (eastern) Australia to South Africa market has barely grown because QF rarely has sales to JNB. Even in dead months, you’re looking at over $2k for a return flight. Any sale fares I’ve seen has been for a small period of time and very far in advance. So moving that A388 capacity to JNB would be easily absorbable, especially when their LF is always well above 80%.

Another thing to consider is that QF have applied for an additional B747 worth of seats to Chile for an additional weekly service to start in the NW, albeit it is likely to be seasonal. So something has to give.

I suspect we’ll know their plans very soon, possibly in the first week of May when QF gives their Q3 update to the market. It was at this point they announced the 6 additional 787s last year.
I'm that bad type.
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 10

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos