• 1
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
 
TasFlyer
Posts: 166
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:55 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:48 am

qf789 wrote:
VA operating a PER-AVV charter this afternoon


Geelong vs West Coast Eagles AFL match; I'm tipping there's a return on Sunday?
 
a19901213
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:38 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:59 am

I’m a little bit confused right here if anyone is willing to provide an answer that would be grateful.

I believe I saw an article on AUSBT two years ago about how some Brisbane service became direct flight instead of a detour via CNS.

Since then I always thought that all service to CNS is independent of BNE service but the dropping CNS article reported seems to say otherwise. So there’s still detour flight via Cairns to BNE happening?
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 6888
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:24 am

a19901213 wrote:
I’m a little bit confused right here if anyone is willing to provide an answer that would be grateful.

I believe I saw an article on AUSBT two years ago about how some Brisbane service became direct flight instead of a detour via CNS.

Since then I always thought that all service to CNS is independent of BNE service but the dropping CNS article reported seems to say otherwise. So there’s still detour flight via Cairns to BNE happening?


Me to, is it 4 weekly CNS flights all routed HKG- CNS-BNE-CNS-HKG? And these are part of the 70 weekly flights in the bilateral HKG-OZ I believe?! So will BNE get an additional 4 non stops a week or will they go elsewhere?
 
Qantas16
Posts: 684
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:39 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
a19901213 wrote:
I’m a little bit confused right here if anyone is willing to provide an answer that would be grateful.

I believe I saw an article on AUSBT two years ago about how some Brisbane service became direct flight instead of a detour via CNS.

Since then I always thought that all service to CNS is independent of BNE service but the dropping CNS article reported seems to say otherwise. So there’s still detour flight via Cairns to BNE happening?


Me to, is it 4 weekly CNS flights all routed HKG- CNS-BNE-CNS-HKG? And these are part of the 70 weekly flights in the bilateral HKG-OZ I believe?! So will BNE get an additional 4 non stops a week or will they go elsewhere?


In the summer they operate separate 11x week BNE-HKG nonstop and 4x CNS-HKG nonstop (CNS-HKG not counting towards bilateral)... in the winter (so presently) they operate 7x week BNE-HKG and 4x BNE-CNS-HKG service (as the flight goes to BNE, even with the stop, it counts towards the bilateral).

I think the article, or another article, said that next winter it will operate 11x week BNE-HKG nonstop so keeping the bilateral maxed out.

That's my understanding of it all anyway.
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 2362
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:43 am

CX and CNS/BNE has been confusing. The flights used to be a triangle, then CX claimed their new res system couldn't handle triangle flights (this could have been solved) so the 4 A330 flights then operated HKG-CNS-BNE-CNS-HKG. CX seem to average only about 50 pax ex BNE on these flights so I don't know if the route was kept for (a) cargo or (b) as a means to keep competitors (HK Airlines) out of BNE. As many of you know HK Airlines tried HKG-OOL-CNS-HKG and that didn't end well. I'm not sure what the AU-HKG bilateral states and what CX's BNE services will be after CNS goes... they keep the evening A350 nonstop, but can they also maintain the daylight flights nonstop?
 
Gangurru
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:30 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:48 am

a19901213 wrote:
I’m a little bit confused right here if anyone is willing to provide an answer that would be grateful.

I believe I saw an article on AUSBT two years ago about how some Brisbane service became direct flight instead of a detour via CNS.

Since then I always thought that all service to CNS is independent of BNE service but the dropping CNS article reported seems to say otherwise. So there’s still detour flight via Cairns to BNE happening?


CNS is a joint 4/week service with BNE in the northern summer (March to October) period. In the northern winter, (November to March) Cairns was a stand-alone 3/week flight.

The air service agreement is limited to 70 flights/week to SYD, BNE, MEL and PER. The shared HKG-CNS-BNE counts towards the BNE allocation.

When CNS is stand-alone, it falls outside the 70 sector limit because all other points in Australia are open skies.
 
User avatar
Velocity7
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:19 am

Qantas16 wrote:
Gangurru wrote:
Cathay Pacific is reportedly ending it’s Cairns flights.

https://www.tropicnow.com.au/2019/april ... ights.html


This is really sad news for CNS and goes on top of the recent announcement that CZ was also "suspending" flights too:

https://www.newsport.com.au/2019/march/ ... gion/?L=44


I do wonder if this is more about CNS than the airlines that service it. I've spent time up there off and on over the last 30 years and when I was up there 12 months ago it was a really depressed place with seemingly limited domestic tourism and clearly only surviving with Chinese tour groups.
I've seen the domestic tourism boom in the 80's, the Japanese boom in the 90's and now the Chinese but it appears it can't maintain a strong consistent tourism base to allow ongoing investment. It's always been a boom or bust city.
I've always pondered that if I was a tourist arriving in CNS for the first time would I within 12 hours of arrival, wonder if I had made a mistake?
I know the GBR and Daintree are beautiful places but sadly CNS is not. I wonder how many tourists revisit it after their first time?
 
ben175
Posts: 723
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:44 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:21 am

qf789 wrote:
F100Flyer wrote:
QR908 DOH-SYD is currently diverting to Perth. Seems to be at a relatively low altitude of 29,000ft too.


Diverting due to a tech issue, aircraft being towed after arrival


Looks like she’s not going anywhere - has just been towed to a remote stand. Tonight’s QR909 has been cancelled.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8625
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:38 am

ben175 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
F100Flyer wrote:
QR908 DOH-SYD is currently diverting to Perth. Seems to be at a relatively low altitude of 29,000ft too.


Diverting due to a tech issue, aircraft being towed after arrival


Looks like she’s not going anywhere - has just been towed to a remote stand. Tonight’s QR909 has been cancelled.


Correct, though I am still not 100% sure what the tech issue is, parts will need to be flown in from DOH so the aircraft is grounded for 24 hours at least. The aircraft has been towed to parking bay 163. The terminal is quite crowded at the moment with passengers being sorted out along with checkin for both EK and QR flights tonight opening soon, I would advise anyone using T1 tonight to arrive early. The flight was full so I guess they will try and put as many on to QF and VA to SYD as possible, but accommodating 500ish passengers isn't going to be easy
Forum Moderator
 
QF744ER
Posts: 386
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:12 am

I asked this question on the fleet thread with no response but does anyone know why QF A332 -EBP is grounded in SYD? It's been there since the 9/4, I've heard whispers it's related to a major system. My QF sources are remaining tight lipped on this one.
 
TN486T
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:18 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:17 am

^^ maybe no one wants to go "public". On another matter I notice both return flights Sydney-Wellcamp 25/26 Apr were cancelled. Any ideas anyone? cheers.
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 1227
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:49 am

Velocity7 wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:
Gangurru wrote:
Cathay Pacific is reportedly ending it’s Cairns flights.

https://www.tropicnow.com.au/2019/april ... ights.html


This is really sad news for CNS and goes on top of the recent announcement that CZ was also "suspending" flights too:

https://www.newsport.com.au/2019/march/ ... gion/?L=44


I do wonder if this is more about CNS than the airlines that service it. I've spent time up there off and on over the last 30 years and when I was up there 12 months ago it was a really depressed place with seemingly limited domestic tourism and clearly only surviving with Chinese tour groups.
I've seen the domestic tourism boom in the 80's, the Japanese boom in the 90's and now the Chinese but it appears it can't maintain a strong consistent tourism base to allow ongoing investment. It's always been a boom or bust city.
I've always pondered that if I was a tourist arriving in CNS for the first time would I within 12 hours of arrival, wonder if I had made a mistake?
I know the GBR and Daintree are beautiful places but sadly CNS is not. I wonder how many tourists revisit it after their first time?

Surprisingly when I went there last Christmas all I found are Indian tourist groups and they're everywhere! Not many Asians (Chinese, Japanese, etc), and westerners' presence are not that large at all.

Certainly more depressed than what I thought, and the cost of living is not helping.

Michael
 
TasFlyer
Posts: 166
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:55 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:26 am

TasFlyer wrote:
qf789 wrote:
VA operating a PER-AVV charter this afternoon


Geelong vs West Coast Eagles AFL match; I'm tipping there's a return on Sunday?


Further to this, can anyone share information about the following related points:

  • The PER-HBA operated much later than usual this day; was there a swap made in advance to facilitate the time-sensitive nature of this AFL charter?
  • After operating PER-AVV, did the aircraft position AVV-MEL or will it stay at AVV until the return AVV-PER flight?
  • Were seats able to be booked on the PER-AVV flight, either as general RPT or as part of an AFL travel package for WCE fans?
 
User avatar
vhqpa
Posts: 1615
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:21 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:45 am

I can't see how it makes sense to use AVV a station they don't fly to when they have a perfectly good major base just up the road at MEL.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8625
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:59 am

TasFlyer wrote:
TasFlyer wrote:
qf789 wrote:
VA operating a PER-AVV charter this afternoon


Geelong vs West Coast Eagles AFL match; I'm tipping there's a return on Sunday?


Further to this, can anyone share information about the following related points:

  • The PER-HBA operated much later than usual this day; was there a swap made in advance to facilitate the time-sensitive nature of this AFL charter?
  • After operating PER-AVV, did the aircraft position AVV-MEL or will it stay at AVV until the return AVV-PER flight?
  • Were seats able to be booked on the PER-AVV flight, either as general RPT or as part of an AFL travel package for WCE fans?


The PER-AVV charter flight was pretty much full and as it was a charter I would say no about seats being able to booked as general RPT or a travel package. After arriving at AVV the aircraft then positioned straight to MEL, aircraft operating this service was YIB.

As for PER-HBA seeing it operate in the usual Monday and Wednesday timeslot instead of the usual Friday timeslot there are a number of reasons for the change. Firstly there was less A330 flying to/from PER yesterday, I would say many chose to take Friday off as well due to Anzac Day and the passenger numbers were lower than a usual Friday.

The normal sequence on Friday's for the A332's is

PER-SYD-PER-MEL (VA556/569/694)
MEL-SYD-PER-MEL-PER (VA811/555/690/697) 697 not always A332 on Fridays
MEL-PER-MEL-PER-SYD (VA679/684/693/572)
SYD-PER-BNE-PER (VA551/469/474) on Fridays BNE doesn't operate aircraft normally does a flight to MEL instead, terminating in MEL

Yesterday A332's operated the following

MEL-PER-MEL-SYD (VA679/684/879)
SYD-PER-MEL (VA555/690)
PER-SYD-MEL (VA556/878)
MEL-PER (VA683)

As a result the services usually flown by A332's were flown by 737's. VA474 the last flight from BNE did not operate yesterday. As PER-HBA is normally done by a cold start aircraft on Fridays it looks like that aircraft was used on PER-BME-PER instead. VA has recently in past couple of weeks started putting a 737 flight to BME on Fridays, I suspect this will continue during the Winter months. One drawback of the PER-BME-PER rotation is unlike other regional destinations where the aircraft would only have a ground time of 35-45 minutes the BME flight has a layover in BME of 3 hours. The HBA flight was operated the aircraft that flew in from DRW. Normally on Friday's the aircraft that does HBA operates the following sectors PER-HBA-PER-ADL (VA592/593/722), the F100 operated VA722 yesterday.

The other thing I would also add since VARA's latest A320 VNB has entered service there has been a reduction of regional flying by 737's to KGI/OCM/ZNE/PHE, on some nights there has been 1 less 737 overnight in PER, this of course allows VA to put the 737 on a route where it can get better yields.
Forum Moderator
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2104
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:06 am

vhqpa wrote:
I can't see how it makes sense to use AVV a station they don't fly to when they have a perfectly good major base just up the road at MEL.


It makes sense because the Eagles were playing at Geelong so rather than the drive from Tullamarine to Kardinia Park which would take over an hour, the players only had a 15-20 minute drive from AVV. AFL clubs are keen to minimise the amount of time players have to be away from their home base so I assume smarter scheduling and charters were part of the new 5 year agreement VA and AFL entered into from this year.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8625
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:13 am

There will also be an AVV-PER charter tomorrow departing AVV at 2200
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8625
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:04 am

Have just been given some more information about the diverted QR908 DOH-SYD to PER yesterday. Due to the tech issue crew timed out. It was suppose to depart for SYD at 1300 today but that got pushed back to 1400 then 1530, aircraft still remains on the ground . Looks like it is finally on the move now
Forum Moderator
 
TasFlyer
Posts: 166
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:55 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:00 am

qf789 wrote:
TasFlyer wrote:
TasFlyer wrote:

Geelong vs West Coast Eagles AFL match; I'm tipping there's a return on Sunday?


Further to this, can anyone share information about the following related points:

  • The PER-HBA operated much later than usual this day; was there a swap made in advance to facilitate the time-sensitive nature of this AFL charter?
  • After operating PER-AVV, did the aircraft position AVV-MEL or will it stay at AVV until the return AVV-PER flight?
  • Were seats able to be booked on the PER-AVV flight, either as general RPT or as part of an AFL travel package for WCE fans?


The PER-AVV charter flight was pretty much full and as it was a charter I would say no about seats being able to booked as general RPT or a travel package. After arriving at AVV the aircraft then positioned straight to MEL, aircraft operating this service was YIB.

As for PER-HBA seeing it operate in the usual Monday and Wednesday timeslot instead of the usual Friday timeslot there are a number of reasons for the change. Firstly there was less A330 flying to/from PER yesterday, I would say many chose to take Friday off as well due to Anzac Day and the passenger numbers were lower than a usual Friday.

The normal sequence on Friday's for the A332's is

PER-SYD-PER-MEL (VA556/569/694)
MEL-SYD-PER-MEL-PER (VA811/555/690/697) 697 not always A332 on Fridays
MEL-PER-MEL-PER-SYD (VA679/684/693/572)
SYD-PER-BNE-PER (VA551/469/474) on Fridays BNE doesn't operate aircraft normally does a flight to MEL instead, terminating in MEL

Yesterday A332's operated the following

MEL-PER-MEL-SYD (VA679/684/879)
SYD-PER-MEL (VA555/690)
PER-SYD-MEL (VA556/878)
MEL-PER (VA683)

As a result the services usually flown by A332's were flown by 737's. VA474 the last flight from BNE did not operate yesterday. As PER-HBA is normally done by a cold start aircraft on Fridays it looks like that aircraft was used on PER-BME-PER instead. VA has recently in past couple of weeks started putting a 737 flight to BME on Fridays, I suspect this will continue during the Winter months. One drawback of the PER-BME-PER rotation is unlike other regional destinations where the aircraft would only have a ground time of 35-45 minutes the BME flight has a layover in BME of 3 hours. The HBA flight was operated the aircraft that flew in from DRW. Normally on Friday's the aircraft that does HBA operates the following sectors PER-HBA-PER-ADL (VA592/593/722), the F100 operated VA722 yesterday.

The other thing I would also add since VARA's latest A320 VNB has entered service there has been a reduction of regional flying by 737's to KGI/OCM/ZNE/PHE, on some nights there has been 1 less 737 overnight in PER, this of course allows VA to put the 737 on a route where it can get better yields.


Thanks, and wow, it appears they re-jigged the whole schedule for what was a very non-standard day in a very non-standard week.

I assume your comment about PER demand being lower than a usual Friday didn't relate to the HBA flight. Not everyone may be aware Tasmania has a public holiday for Easter Tuesday, making this Easter/ANZAC period very popular for travel. VA's additional PER-HBA flights the day prior to Good Friday, Easter Tuesday, and tomorrow appear well patronised. It will be interesting to see what frequency this route operates over Christmas/New Year (it was as high as six-weekly last time). Note PER-OOL flights for this period have already been loaded for Thursdays and Saturdays; it is good these flights are in the system early for a seasonal (but hopefully soon permanent) route.

Your comment about one fewer 737s overnighting in PER also ties in nicely with my noticing of some ad-hoc additional VA 737s overnighting at HBA. A curious one is a cold start HBA-BNE on May 6 at 10:25am, which is quite a late start obviously. It appears there is an additional MEL-HBA service the night prior. Furthermore, there are several additional cold-start HBA-SYD flights in June and July, mainly Fridays, with the aircraft operating SYD-HBA the night prior. It would be great if this additional SYD service be made permanent; it would utilise the expanded apron at HBA, which begins operating (with tugs to push back jets) in July.
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5215
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:59 am

Would appear VH-OEB retirement (30APR) has been delayed due to the aircraft scheduled to operate several JQ SYD-HNL-SYD charters from 1st of May til the 7th of May.

Just demonstrates the value of having these true workhorses available at a minutes notice!

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
TasFlyer
Posts: 166
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:55 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:05 am

EK413 wrote:
Would appear VH-OEB retirement (30APR) has been delayed due to the aircraft scheduled to operate several JQ SYD-HNL-SYD charters from 1st of May til the 7th of May.

Just demonstrates the value of having these true workhorses available at a minutes notice!

EK413


Just like that kids' story about fire engine number one!
 
brucetiki
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:36 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:15 am

VA baggage handlers reach new levels of incompetence at MEL.

They forgot to load the Western Bulldogs Cheer Squad equipment onto their MEL-PER flight.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8625
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:19 am

TasFlyer wrote:
qf789 wrote:
TasFlyer wrote:

Further to this, can anyone share information about the following related points:

  • The PER-HBA operated much later than usual this day; was there a swap made in advance to facilitate the time-sensitive nature of this AFL charter?
  • After operating PER-AVV, did the aircraft position AVV-MEL or will it stay at AVV until the return AVV-PER flight?
  • Were seats able to be booked on the PER-AVV flight, either as general RPT or as part of an AFL travel package for WCE fans?


The PER-AVV charter flight was pretty much full and as it was a charter I would say no about seats being able to booked as general RPT or a travel package. After arriving at AVV the aircraft then positioned straight to MEL, aircraft operating this service was YIB.

As for PER-HBA seeing it operate in the usual Monday and Wednesday timeslot instead of the usual Friday timeslot there are a number of reasons for the change. Firstly there was less A330 flying to/from PER yesterday, I would say many chose to take Friday off as well due to Anzac Day and the passenger numbers were lower than a usual Friday.

The normal sequence on Friday's for the A332's is

PER-SYD-PER-MEL (VA556/569/694)
MEL-SYD-PER-MEL-PER (VA811/555/690/697) 697 not always A332 on Fridays
MEL-PER-MEL-PER-SYD (VA679/684/693/572)
SYD-PER-BNE-PER (VA551/469/474) on Fridays BNE doesn't operate aircraft normally does a flight to MEL instead, terminating in MEL

Yesterday A332's operated the following

MEL-PER-MEL-SYD (VA679/684/879)
SYD-PER-MEL (VA555/690)
PER-SYD-MEL (VA556/878)
MEL-PER (VA683)

As a result the services usually flown by A332's were flown by 737's. VA474 the last flight from BNE did not operate yesterday. As PER-HBA is normally done by a cold start aircraft on Fridays it looks like that aircraft was used on PER-BME-PER instead. VA has recently in past couple of weeks started putting a 737 flight to BME on Fridays, I suspect this will continue during the Winter months. One drawback of the PER-BME-PER rotation is unlike other regional destinations where the aircraft would only have a ground time of 35-45 minutes the BME flight has a layover in BME of 3 hours. The HBA flight was operated the aircraft that flew in from DRW. Normally on Friday's the aircraft that does HBA operates the following sectors PER-HBA-PER-ADL (VA592/593/722), the F100 operated VA722 yesterday.

The other thing I would also add since VARA's latest A320 VNB has entered service there has been a reduction of regional flying by 737's to KGI/OCM/ZNE/PHE, on some nights there has been 1 less 737 overnight in PER, this of course allows VA to put the 737 on a route where it can get better yields.


Thanks, and wow, it appears they re-jigged the whole schedule for what was a very non-standard day in a very non-standard week.

I assume your comment about PER demand being lower than a usual Friday didn't relate to the HBA flight. Not everyone may be aware Tasmania has a public holiday for Easter Tuesday, making this Easter/ANZAC period very popular for travel. VA's additional PER-HBA flights the day prior to Good Friday, Easter Tuesday, and tomorrow appear well patronised. It will be interesting to see what frequency this route operates over Christmas/New Year (it was as high as six-weekly last time). Note PER-OOL flights for this period have already been loaded for Thursdays and Saturdays; it is good these flights are in the system early for a seasonal (but hopefully soon permanent) route.

Your comment about one fewer 737s overnighting in PER also ties in nicely with my noticing of some ad-hoc additional VA 737s overnighting at HBA. A curious one is a cold start HBA-BNE on May 6 at 10:25am, which is quite a late start obviously. It appears there is an additional MEL-HBA service the night prior. Furthermore, there are several additional cold-start HBA-SYD flights in June and July, mainly Fridays, with the aircraft operating SYD-HBA the night prior. It would be great if this additional SYD service be made permanent; it would utilise the expanded apron at HBA, which begins operating (with tugs to push back jets) in July.


HBA loads have been pretty good all month, Friday's ex PER was the best all month. I haven't noticed any drop off with the loads either during quieter periods, I wouldnt be surprised if they look at adding a fourth weekly flight later on down the track, there is definitely some potential for that. VA has also been advertising the PER-HBA flight both on the drive in to T1 and upstairs once you get off the escalator from check in, advertising to the effect of Perth to Hobart in just over 4 hours non stop.

Regarding PER-OOL I think they will keep it for seasonal however perhaps during winter there could be some justification for extending it out a bit more. Loads have been better than what they were in Dec/Jan so that is encouraging
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8625
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:41 am

brucetiki wrote:
VA baggage handlers reach new levels of incompetence at MEL.

They forgot to load the Western Bulldogs Cheer Squad equipment onto their MEL-PER flight.


Do you have a source? What flight were they on? There is likely multiple different reasons why baggage could be left behind, most likely it was an operational reason.
Forum Moderator
 
TN486T
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:18 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:25 am

^sabotage^ sayeth a dyed in the wool doggy supporter. I hope Freo get their just deserts tonight. He He. cheers
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5215
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:18 pm

qf789 wrote:
Have just been given some more information about the diverted QR908 DOH-SYD to PER yesterday. Due to the tech issue crew timed out. It was suppose to depart for SYD at 1300 today but that got pushed back to 1400 then 1530, aircraft still remains on the ground . Looks like it is finally on the move now


It’s just pulled up to its bay in Sydney.

AKL Spotters Alert - There’s a QF B744 operating a SYD-AKL-SYD rotation tomorrow in lieu of an A330.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
QF744ER
Posts: 386
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:43 pm

EK413 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Have just been given some more information about the diverted QR908 DOH-SYD to PER yesterday. Due to the tech issue crew timed out. It was suppose to depart for SYD at 1300 today but that got pushed back to 1400 then 1530, aircraft still remains on the ground . Looks like it is finally on the move now


It’s just pulled up to its bay in Sydney.

AKL Spotters Alert - There’s a QF B744 operating a SYD-AKL-SYD rotation tomorrow in lieu of an A330.

EK413


Also hearing -OEB is getting a reprieve partially due to -EBP being grounded in SYD.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8625
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:08 pm

QF744ER wrote:
EK413 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Have just been given some more information about the diverted QR908 DOH-SYD to PER yesterday. Due to the tech issue crew timed out. It was suppose to depart for SYD at 1300 today but that got pushed back to 1400 then 1530, aircraft still remains on the ground . Looks like it is finally on the move now


It’s just pulled up to its bay in Sydney.

AKL Spotters Alert - There’s a QF B744 operating a SYD-AKL-SYD rotation tomorrow in lieu of an A330.

EK413


Also hearing -OEB is getting a reprieve partially due to -EBP being grounded in SYD.


Is it fair to say OEB will be around for at least another few weeks
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5215
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:25 pm

qf789 wrote:
QF744ER wrote:
EK413 wrote:

It’s just pulled up to its bay in Sydney.

AKL Spotters Alert - There’s a QF B744 operating a SYD-AKL-SYD rotation tomorrow in lieu of an A330.

EK413


Also hearing -OEB is getting a reprieve partially due to -EBP being grounded in SYD.


Is it fair to say OEB will be around for at least another few weeks


It’s possible. Believe -VKJ remains grounded in KIX?

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8625
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:29 pm

EK413 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
QF744ER wrote:

Also hearing -OEB is getting a reprieve partially due to -EBP being grounded in SYD.


Is it fair to say OEB will be around for at least another few weeks


It’s possible. Believe -VKJ remains grounded in KIX?

EK413


Ironic that the old girl saves the day again
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5215
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:39 pm

qf789 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Is it fair to say OEB will be around for at least another few weeks


It’s possible. Believe -VKJ remains grounded in KIX?

EK413


Ironic that the old girl saves the day again


The old girl always saves the day ;)

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
VHZNE
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:56 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:19 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
EK413 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
EK413 wrote:

It’s possible. Believe -VKJ remains grounded in KIX?

EK413


Ironic that the old girl saves the day again


The old girl always saves the day ;)

EK413


Glad to see OEB is staying for a while longer.

Also note worthy is there is no SFO-SYD scheduled on the 30th for when she was originally penciled in to retire.
 
getluv
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:49 pm

QF744ER wrote:
EK413 wrote:
It’s just pulled up to its bay in Sydney.

AKL Spotters Alert - There’s a QF B744 operating a SYD-AKL-SYD rotation tomorrow in lieu of an A330.

EK413


Also hearing -OEB is getting a reprieve partially due to -EBP being grounded in SYD.


The two seem unrelated. SYD-AKL is prone to last minute upgrades. The change to a 744 on SYD-AKL-SYD happened a few days ago and it appears to be a commercial decision as QF had virtually no inventory left between New Zealand and SYD and SYD-AKL.
I'm that bad type.
 
Milesdependent
Posts: 618
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2001 5:27 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:00 pm


AKL Spotters Alert - There’s a QF B744 operating a SYD-AKL-SYD rotation tomorrow in lieu of an A330.

EK413


Looking at the seat map the upper deck is blocked out in both directions (ie not being used). Perhaps this means they can operate with less FAs than a typical 747 flight?
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5215
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:56 am

getluv wrote:
QF744ER wrote:
EK413 wrote:
It’s just pulled up to its bay in Sydney.

AKL Spotters Alert - There’s a QF B744 operating a SYD-AKL-SYD rotation tomorrow in lieu of an A330.

EK413


Also hearing -OEB is getting a reprieve partially due to -EBP being grounded in SYD.


The two seem unrelated. SYD-AKL is prone to last minute upgrades. The change to a 744 on SYD-AKL-SYD happened a few days ago and it appears to be a commercial decision as QF had virtually no inventory left between New Zealand and SYD and SYD-AKL.


Both are unrelated. The QF145 & QF148 is being operated by VHOEF which arrived earlier this morning from SFO. Believe there could be an A330 AOG therefore sub with a B744.

Milesdependent wrote:

AKL Spotters Alert - There’s a QF B744 operating a SYD-AKL-SYD rotation tomorrow in lieu of an A330.

EK413


Looking at the seat map the upper deck is blocked out in both directions (ie not being used). Perhaps this means they can operate with less FAs than a typical 747 flight?


Yes that would be the case but considering this probably was driven by an AOG A330 aircraft which normally operates the route & not demand driven the upper deck was blocked.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
getluv
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:07 am

EK413 wrote:
getluv wrote:
QF744ER wrote:

Also hearing -OEB is getting a reprieve partially due to -EBP being grounded in SYD.


The two seem unrelated. SYD-AKL is prone to last minute upgrades. The change to a 744 on SYD-AKL-SYD happened a few days ago and it appears to be a commercial decision as QF had virtually no inventory left between New Zealand and SYD and SYD-AKL.


Both are unrelated. The QF145 & QF148 is being operated by VHOEF which arrived earlier this morning from SFO. Believe there could be an A330 AOG therefore sub with a B744.

Milesdependent wrote:

AKL Spotters Alert - There’s a QF B744 operating a SYD-AKL-SYD rotation tomorrow in lieu of an A330.

EK413


Looking at the seat map the upper deck is blocked out in both directions (ie not being used). Perhaps this means they can operate with less FAs than a typical 747 flight?


Yes that would be the case but considering this probably was driven by an AOG A330 aircraft which normally operates the route & not demand driven the upper deck was blocked.

EK413


It is not driven by AOG. Purely commercial. The 747 would have been on the ground all day and QF needed the extra capacity.

It’s also worth noting that since the VA/NZ alliance has come to and end, QF have quietly increased capacity to Auckland. QF will be 7-8 daily on some days between SYD-AKL this coming summer.
Last edited by getluv on Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm that bad type.
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5215
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:14 am

getluv wrote:
EK413 wrote:
getluv wrote:

The two seem unrelated. SYD-AKL is prone to last minute upgrades. The change to a 744 on SYD-AKL-SYD happened a few days ago and it appears to be a commercial decision as QF had virtually no inventory left between New Zealand and SYD and SYD-AKL.


Both are unrelated. The QF145 & QF148 is being operated by VHOEF which arrived earlier this morning from SFO. Believe there could be an A330 AOG therefore sub with a B744.

Milesdependent wrote:

Looking at the seat map the upper deck is blocked out in both directions (ie not being used). Perhaps this means they can operate with less FAs than a typical 747 flight?


Yes that would be the case but considering this probably was driven by an AOG A330 aircraft which normally operates the route & not demand driven the upper deck was blocked.

EK413


It is not driven by AOG. Purely commercial. The 747 would have been on the ground all day. QF needed the extra inventory.


It’s not purely commercial & don’t bother getting into a debate as to why so let’s leave it at that...

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
getluv
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:19 am

EK413 wrote:
getluv wrote:
EK413 wrote:

Both are unrelated. The QF145 & QF148 is being operated by VHOEF which arrived earlier this morning from SFO. Believe there could be an A330 AOG therefore sub with a B744.



Yes that would be the case but considering this probably was driven by an AOG A330 aircraft which normally operates the route & not demand driven the upper deck was blocked.

EK413


It is not driven by AOG. Purely commercial. The 747 would have been on the ground all day. QF needed the extra inventory.


It’s not purely commercial & don’t bother getting into a debate as to why so let’s leave it at that...

EK413


I’m not debating. You would generally have to know something.
I'm that bad type.
 
moa999
Posts: 476
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:01 am

How close is OEB to requiring additional maintenance to fly on?

With JQ down a 787 (VKJ still in Japan) and QF down a 333 (EBP in Sydney per above) seems like a sensible decision to keep it.
 
brucetiki
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:36 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:36 am

qf789 wrote:
brucetiki wrote:
VA baggage handlers reach new levels of incompetence at MEL.

They forgot to load the Western Bulldogs Cheer Squad equipment onto their MEL-PER flight.


Do you have a source? What flight were they on? There is likely multiple different reasons why baggage could be left behind, most likely it was an operational reason.


TN486T wrote:
^sabotage^ sayeth a dyed in the wool doggy supporter. I hope Freo get their just deserts tonight. He He. cheers


Their cheer squad mentioned it on the Cheer Squad and Supporter Clubs of the AFL page. The banner made it across, but the other equipment, such as pom poms, flags etc (doubt they'd have flown the floggers over) got left behind in Melbourne. All they said was Virgin never put it on the plane and it's still sitting in oversized baggage at MEL.

I get there could be a number of reasons why it got left behind, but you'd hope for VA's sake it was an operational reason. If they did just leave it at the oversized baggage area it's a pretty bad look for one of VA, especially as the AFL would be one of the bigger clients VA have.
 
DavidByrne
Posts: 1378
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:05 am

getluv wrote:
It’s also worth noting that since the VA/NZ alliance has come to and end, QF have quietly increased capacity to Auckland. QF will be 7-8 daily on some days between SYD-AKL this coming summer.

Can you expand on that? Just checked the online timetable but couldn’t find a day with more than five QF flights (plus the daily LA codeshare).
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 6888
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:11 am

DavidByrne wrote:
getluv wrote:
It’s also worth noting that since the VA/NZ alliance has come to and end, QF have quietly increased capacity to Auckland. QF will be 7-8 daily on some days between SYD-AKL this coming summer.

Can you expand on that? Just checked the online timetable but couldn’t find a day with more than five QF flights (plus the daily LA codeshare).


I’m pretty sure there are days from memory where there is 6-7 flights late DEC/JAN SYD-AKL mainly 738s on the extra flights, with the odd extra MEL/BNE flight aswell. Think WLG/CHC have a handful of extras aswell.



I wonder if PER-AKL will come back? I guess if QF and PER airport resolve their issues?

QF are running 3 daily A330s SYD-AKL now up from 2, at the expense of MEL which only gets 1 daily now.
 
User avatar
SeaEagle8
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:25 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:
getluv wrote:
It’s also worth noting that since the VA/NZ alliance has come to and end, QF have quietly increased capacity to Auckland. QF will be 7-8 daily on some days between SYD-AKL this coming summer.

Can you expand on that? Just checked the online timetable but couldn’t find a day with more than five QF flights (plus the daily LA codeshare).


I’m pretty sure there are days from memory where there is 6-7 flights late DEC/JAN SYD-AKL mainly 738s on the extra flights, with the odd extra MEL/BNE flight aswell. Think WLG/CHC have a handful of extras aswell.



I wonder if PER-AKL will come back? I guess if QF and PER airport resolve their issues?

QF are running 3 daily A330s SYD-AKL now up from 2, at the expense of MEL which only gets 1 daily now.


Just looked and same thing never more than 5 daily QF plus the daily LATAM codeshare.
QF has about 10 daily flights from SYD to New Zealand. 5 to AKL, 2 to ZQN, 2 to WLG and 1 to CHC (plus the daily EK codeshare).
During peak Christmas period all airlines add extra flights.
Since the breakup and with all those additional flights SYD-New Zealand grew about 16,000 passengers in January (source BITRE). And MEL-New Zealand grew about 10,000 passengers.
NSW based avgeek
 
CityRail
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:26 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:24 pm

Gangurru wrote:
Cathay Pacific is reportedly ending it’s Cairns flights.

https://www.tropicnow.com.au/2019/april ... ights.html


It is very sad indeed. But I am sure CX will return in the future in terms of charters hopefully, as I am sure there's still demand from China/Hong Kong tourist groups during peak travel periods.

Perhaps VA should consider running seasonal/charter CNS - HKG using B738?
 
User avatar
SCFlyer
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:46 pm

^^

Standard 738 in VA configuration wouldn't have the range to go CNS-HKG non-stop (unless if blocking seats).

That route is most likely suited as a job for a 737MAX or a A320/1neo, regardless of the carrier flying the route.
 
CityRail
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:26 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:04 pm

Attention passengers, due to SmartGate failures, major delays are expected at Sydney (and perhaps Melbourne) international airports.
Please allow additional travel time, listen to announcements and check indicator boards before boarding.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/passpor ... 51i37.html
 
DeltaB717
Posts: 1663
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:38 pm

TN486T wrote:
^^ maybe no one wants to go "public". On another matter I notice both return flights Sydney-Wellcamp 25/26 Apr were cancelled. Any ideas anyone? cheers.


The flights operated, but for some reason QF cancelled the original flight numbers (QF140x) and operated the flights with new flight numbers (QF143x), and it wasn't only those two days. I don't know why - it doesn't appear there were any changes of equipment or significant deviations from the schedule. I note the 143x flight numbers have continued...
 
brucetiki
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:36 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:43 pm

All airports now affected by the ABF IT outage.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-29/ ... t/11053590
 
brucetiki
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:36 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:45 pm

TasFlyer wrote:
qf789 wrote:
VA operating a PER-AVV charter this afternoon


Geelong vs West Coast Eagles AFL match; I'm tipping there's a return on Sunday?


It was a charter flight for the West Coast players, so they could fly in and out of Geelong relatively quickly.

Given they got done by about 9 goals, the direct flight may have been in vain.
 
QF742
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:00 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:02 am

CityRail wrote:
Gangurru wrote:
Cathay Pacific is reportedly ending it’s Cairns flights.

https://www.tropicnow.com.au/2019/april ... ights.html


It is very sad indeed. But I am sure CX will return in the future in terms of charters hopefully, as I am sure there's still demand from China/Hong Kong tourist groups during peak travel periods.

Perhaps VA should consider running seasonal/charter CNS - HKG using B738?


I wonder if this could be serve as a new JQ A321NEOLR route? Pehaps 3 weekly initially or something like that. JQ already operate a number of international flights ex CNS and it is not impossible to assume the JQ flights to Japan ex CNS could also go to 321s - meaning the aircraft could rotate around CNS with some efficiency. What do you guys think?
  • 1
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos