EmoticonsAllDay

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:13 am

Qatar Airways flight drama: Sydney-bound flight makes emergency landing in Perth

A passenger aboard a flight that was forced to make an emergency landing in Perth has described the terrifying moment the pilot warned them to “not be alarmed” if they saw something “drop off the wing”.

The 27-year-old said the way the situation had been handled by the airline had left him and his peers “very uneasy”.

Source: https://thewest.com.au/travel/air-aviat ... 881181130z

I couldn't find any information on whether the passengers were able to make it to Sydney. Please post updates.

SCFlyer

Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:28 am

QF742 wrote:
CityRail wrote:
Gangurru wrote:
Cathay Pacific is reportedly ending it’s Cairns flights.

https://www.tropicnow.com.au/2019/april ... ights.html

It is very sad indeed. But I am sure CX will return in the future in terms of charters hopefully, as I am sure there's still demand from China/Hong Kong tourist groups during peak travel periods.

Perhaps VA should consider running seasonal/charter CNS - HKG using B738?

I wonder if this could be serve as a new JQ A321NEOLR route? Pehaps 3 weekly initially or something like that. JQ already operate a number of international flights ex CNS and it is not impossible to assume the JQ flights to Japan ex CNS could also go to 321s - meaning the aircraft could rotate around CNS with some efficiency. What do you guys think?

I wonder if the range of the A321LR in the proposed JQ configuration (all Y) would be able to make CNS-KIX/NRT/HKG without having to block seats? I felt JQ had missed a bit of an opportunity here to put a small J cabin of 8 seats, whilst at the same time placing "extra legroom" Y seats in the first few rows (plus the exit rows). The focus of the A321LR on low yielding beach markets like DPS might be part of the reason why the A321LRs are configured as all-Y.

IIRC though, JQ's announcement at the time I think stated that the A321LRs are focused mostly on the East Coast-Bali runs, with perhaps either domestic or Pacific Island runs in-between to maximise utilisation.

A350OZ

Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:34 am

On Cairns and CX, having spent 4 days up there last week I have to agree with Velocity7's earlier post, the state of Cairns itself is getting quite depressing. If I would have travelled there the first time and ended up in a hotel in Cairns proper, I would probably not come back. Vacancies everywhere, average to poor food offerings, everything mainly serving the backpacker crowd (granted it has always been like this since I first visited about 9 years ago and returned a number of times since, but each time it feels it's getting a little worse).

We stayed in Trinity Beach which is absolutely gorgeous, but then getting takeaway from the local Italian - 2 pizzas, one pasta dish, one starter - for a total of $86!!!, it becomes quite clear how FNQ cannot compete with Pacific islands, SE Asia or other destinations for the international tourism dollar...

CX leaving will mean a further decline, hopefully someone else will be able and willing to fill the gap. Given its proximity to main Asian markets I can absolutely see how an A321LR operation can make sense, so hopefully someone will give this a go.

Boof

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:22 am

qf789 wrote:
TasFlyer wrote:
TasFlyer wrote:

Geelong vs West Coast Eagles AFL match; I'm tipping there's a return on Sunday?

Further to this, can anyone share information about the following related points:

• The PER-HBA operated much later than usual this day; was there a swap made in advance to facilitate the time-sensitive nature of this AFL charter?
  • After operating PER-AVV, did the aircraft position AVV-MEL or will it stay at AVV until the return AVV-PER flight?
  • Were seats able to be booked on the PER-AVV flight, either as general RPT or as part of an AFL travel package for WCE fans?

The PER-AVV charter flight was pretty much full and as it was a charter I would say no about seats being able to booked as general RPT or a travel package. After arriving at AVV the aircraft then positioned straight to MEL, aircraft operating this service was YIB.

The Charter was full because the Eagles offered 115 seats to the members to travel with the players. There was an article in The West Australian (https://thewest.com.au/news/perth/west- ... 881180387z) about this as they are looking at doing more of this type of thing. Some were paid and allocated through a ballot, and a couple of seats were giveaways. The result of the game may change the thinking in future though ;)

What I'm surprised about is the players kicked up in the last players agreement that they wanted 16 J class seats for the WA clubs then turn around and do charters on 737's. The travelling party is about 45 so they only had a few seats free - maybe they have a kicker in the contract that allows for less J class if it is a charter flight.

Thanks for sharing the workings of the PER base and how they accommodate the various flights QF789. I appreciate the insight.

Cheers,
Boof
Bring back Virgin Blue!

brucetiki

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:30 am

EmoticonsAllDay wrote:
Qatar Airways flight drama: Sydney-bound flight makes emergency landing in Perth

A passenger aboard a flight that was forced to make an emergency landing in Perth has described the terrifying moment the pilot warned them to “not be alarmed” if they saw something “drop off the wing”.

The 27-year-old said the way the situation had been handled by the airline had left him and his peers “very uneasy”.

I couldn't find any information on whether the passengers were able to make it to Sydney. Please post updates.

Classic case of a passenger grossly exaggerating the situation and the media running with it by the looks of it. Calling loved ones because a plane diverts and fuel dumps. Really people, grow up.

qf002

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:50 am

QF742 wrote:
What do you guys think?

Certainly a possibility.

SCFlyer wrote:
I IIRC though, JQ's announcement at the time I think stated that the A321LRs are focused mostly on the East Coast-Bali runs, with perhaps either domestic or Pacific Island runs in-between to maximise utilisation.

With 18 A321LRs on order I think it’s safe to assume that there are bigger plans brewing.

Whatsaptudo

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:39 am

Aren’t they replacing A320’s?

Milesdependent

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:43 am

qf002 wrote:
QF742 wrote:
What do you guys think?

Certainly a possibility.

SCFlyer wrote:
I IIRC though, JQ's announcement at the time I think stated that the A321LRs are focused mostly on the East Coast-Bali runs, with perhaps either domestic or Pacific Island runs in-between to maximise utilisation.

With 18 A321LRs on order I think it’s safe to assume that there are bigger plans brewing.

We really need a daytime DPS-SYD flight option. This is one thing keeping me from taking my young family to Bali - those return redeye flights are terrible. Most other cities have a daytime flight now so hoping they will introduce one for Sydney with the 321LRs.

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:25 am

EmoticonsAllDay wrote:

The aircraft positioned to SYD about 24 later. As noted upthread the crew timed out as the tech issue could not be fixed straight away. After arriving in SYD the aircraft departed 59 minutes later operating SYD-BKK-DOH
Forum Moderator

QF742

Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:26 am

qf002 wrote:
QF742 wrote:
What do you guys think?

Certainly a possibility.

SCFlyer wrote:

I agree - I’m also not certain that all 788s will be taken from DPS. My guess is they maintain 1x daily each from SYD and MEL. The second daily MEL could go 321 with some additional flights to cater for seasonal/regular demand - SYD could see a second daily service. I would guess BNE-DPS to be replaced by 321. This would free up quite a bit of 788 capacity - perhaps 1 frame at least could be utilised to make MEL/SYD-SGN daily each. Not sure what they will do with the rest though? There’s quite a lot of seats on those 788s to fill. Maybe increase MEL-BKK with TG reducing?

qf002

Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:35 am

Whatsaptudo wrote:
Aren’t they replacing A320’s?

You don’t pay the extra for the LR if you intend to just use it on short routes.

They only need about 6 A321s to replace the 788s flying to DPS.

jman

Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:39 am

QF742 wrote:
qf002 wrote:
QF742 wrote:
What do you guys think?

Certainly a possibility.

SCFlyer wrote:

I agree - I’m also not certain that all 788s will be taken from DPS. My guess is they maintain 1x daily each from SYD and MEL. The second daily MEL could go 321 with some additional flights to cater for seasonal/regular demand - SYD could see a second daily service. I would guess BNE-DPS to be replaced by 321. This would free up quite a bit of 788 capacity - perhaps 1 frame at least could be utilised to make MEL/SYD-SGN daily each. Not sure what they will do with the rest though? There’s quite a lot of seats on those 788s to fill. Maybe increase MEL-BKK with TG reducing?

The JQ57/JQ58 is being replaced by two A321LR flights. BNE base will get the first 2 aircraft, and SYD base will get the 3rd and 4th aircraft. They are working towards a new route for the 788 that is being taken off the BNE/DPS

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:39 am

SCFlyer wrote:
QF742 wrote:
CityRail wrote:

It is very sad indeed. But I am sure CX will return in the future in terms of charters hopefully, as I am sure there's still demand from China/Hong Kong tourist groups during peak travel periods.

I wonder if this could be serve as a new JQ A321NEOLR route? Pehaps 3 weekly initially or something like that. JQ already operate a number of international flights ex CNS and it is not impossible to assume the JQ flights to Japan ex CNS could also go to 321s - meaning the aircraft could rotate around CNS with some efficiency. What do you guys think?

I wonder if the range of the A321LR in the proposed JQ configuration (all Y) would be able to make CNS-KIX/NRT/HKG without having to block seats? I felt JQ had missed a bit of an opportunity here to put a small J cabin of 8 seats, whilst at the same time placing "extra legroom" Y seats in the first few rows (plus the exit rows). The focus of the A321LR on low yielding beach markets like DPS might be part of the reason why the A321LRs are configured as all-Y.

IIRC though, JQ's announcement at the time I think stated that the A321LRs are focused mostly on the East Coast-Bali runs, with perhaps either domestic or Pacific Island runs in-between to maximise utilisation.

According to Airbus the A321LR has a range of 4000nm carrying up to 244 passengers in a single class. Taking that into account routes such as CNS-HKG, CNS-NRT, CNS-KIX should be feasible. The only current routes outside this are MEL-SYD-HNL/BKK/HKT/SGN. As for not having business on there, the aircraft will be used on domestic as well so I would think the reasoning behind that is so it doesn't dilute on QF
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:50 am

On Sunday SQ subbed the 787-10 on SQ241/242 to SYD as the 77W that was suppose to operate went tech

https://twitter.com/www16Right/status/1 ... 83776?s=20
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:52 am

Yesterday's EK409 MEL-DXB diverted to SIN for a medical

https://twitter.com/AirportWebcams/stat ... 42051?s=20
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:11 am

Passenger bags have been left behind in DPS of 3 separate AirAsia Indonesia flights to PER over the weekend due to operational reasons

https://www.watoday.com.au/national/wes ... 51i24.html
Forum Moderator

JQ321

Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:59 am

jman wrote:
QF742 wrote:
qf002 wrote:

Certainly a possibility.

The JQ57/JQ58 is being replaced by two A321LR flights. BNE base will get the first 2 aircraft, and SYD base will get the 3rd and 4th aircraft. They are working towards a new route for the 788 that is being taken off the BNE/DPS

This seems unlikely as when JQ stated they were ordering them they said for MEL and SYD not BNE so it would most likely be one of them before BNE. Do you have a source for this rumor?

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:11 am

Today marks 90 years since the first Qantas service from BNE started

https://twitter.com/slqld/status/112261 ... 88448?s=20
Forum Moderator

ZK-NBT

Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:25 am

SeaEagle8 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:
Can you expand on that? Just checked the online timetable but couldn’t find a day with more than five QF flights (plus the daily LA codeshare).

I’m pretty sure there are days from memory where there is 6-7 flights late DEC/JAN SYD-AKL mainly 738s on the extra flights, with the odd extra MEL/BNE flight aswell. Think WLG/CHC have a handful of extras aswell.

I wonder if PER-AKL will come back? I guess if QF and PER airport resolve their issues?

QF are running 3 daily A330s SYD-AKL now up from 2, at the expense of MEL which only gets 1 daily now.

Just looked and same thing never more than 5 daily QF plus the daily LATAM codeshare.
QF has about 10 daily flights from SYD to New Zealand. 5 to AKL, 2 to ZQN, 2 to WLG and 1 to CHC (plus the daily EK codeshare).
During peak Christmas period all airlines add extra flights.
Since the breakup and with all those additional flights SYD-New Zealand grew about 16,000 passengers in January (source BITRE). And MEL-New Zealand grew about 10,000 passengers.

From DEC 21st through Early part of JAN there are several additional flights 8 daily SYD-AKL on Sat DEC 21st, 5 MEL and 3 BNE. Aircraft type not specified, presume most would be 738s.

It is a little annoying that some airlines QF and NZ don’t seem to offer a weekly schedule anymore.

kriskim

Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:25 am

jman wrote:
QF742 wrote:
qf002 wrote:

Certainly a possibility.

I would love to see MEL-ICN or MEL-KIX added for JQ. I guess bumping up SGN would be a wise move too considering it’s performing strongly.

That would pretty much mark the end of 788 flights from BNE, which was never strong anyways.

Does anyone know where the JQ 788’s are based? Just MEL and SYD?
A world built upon connectivity.

eta unknown

Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:29 am

I wouldn't place any bets on the JQ 788's staying on SYD/MEL-DPS outside of peak periods. It's already way too big for BNE.
As for CNS, my last memory a few years ago was the most overpriced food I've ever seen anywhere. About 2 years ago CNS airport hired the former AC Australia country manager to be their aviation bdm- I wonder how that's working out for them...

SeaEagle8

Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:24 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
SeaEagle8 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

I’m pretty sure there are days from memory where there is 6-7 flights late DEC/JAN SYD-AKL mainly 738s on the extra flights, with the odd extra MEL/BNE flight aswell. Think WLG/CHC have a handful of extras aswell.

I wonder if PER-AKL will come back? I guess if QF and PER airport resolve their issues?

QF are running 3 daily A330s SYD-AKL now up from 2, at the expense of MEL which only gets 1 daily now.

Just looked and same thing never more than 5 daily QF plus the daily LATAM codeshare.
QF has about 10 daily flights from SYD to New Zealand. 5 to AKL, 2 to ZQN, 2 to WLG and 1 to CHC (plus the daily EK codeshare).
During peak Christmas period all airlines add extra flights.
Since the breakup and with all those additional flights SYD-New Zealand grew about 16,000 passengers in January (source BITRE). And MEL-New Zealand grew about 10,000 passengers.

From DEC 21st through Early part of JAN there are several additional flights 8 daily SYD-AKL on Sat DEC 21st, 5 MEL and 3 BNE. Aircraft type not specified, presume most would be 738s.

It is a little annoying that some airlines QF and NZ don’t seem to offer a weekly schedule anymore.

Yes for one day in that period there are 8 flights on QF SYD-AKL. A couple with 7 and a couple with 6. Otherwise it's 5 daily SYD-AKL. Around Christmas there are always additional flights between Australia and New Zealand on Qantas, Air New Zealand, Jetstar and Virgin Australia. QF will fly 5 daily from MEL-AKL also during the peak otherwise 4 daily generally.

Both QF and NZ both offer weekly schedules. Just search Qantas or Air New Zealand online timetables and you can choose weekly or daily.
NSW based avgeek

QF744ER

Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:49 am

What about the potential of JQ using some of their new A321NEO's to launch international routes ex PER to BKK/HKT/KUL/PEN and potentially SGN and HAN?

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:01 am

QF744ER wrote:
What about the potential of JQ using some of their new A321NEO's to launch international routes ex PER to BKK/HKT/KUL/PEN and potentially SGN and HAN?

I think that PER-BKK is possible but I am not sure about HKT, KUL and PEN, that might just be too much aircraft for such a route, perhaps better off being served via SIN on 3K. I do think PER-DPS will be upgraded to A321neo at some point, they do have the highest LF of any airline serving between PER and DPS
Forum Moderator

DavidByrne

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:15 am

ZK-NBT wrote:

I don't know about QF, but I found that when NZ stopped providing a weekly schedule on their web site, you could do a "work-around" through an Innosked link. Just like old times . . .
http://airnewzealand2.innosked.com/sche ... anguage=EN
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife

jman

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:17 am

JQ321 wrote:
jman wrote:
QF742 wrote:

This seems unlikely as when JQ stated they were ordering them they said for MEL and SYD not BNE so it would most likely be one of them before BNE. Do you have a source for this rumor?

I work for the company, and crew in BNE are starting to get notified of when they will be training for the A321. As there is no A321 aircraft based out of BNE, there is only a handful of crew from BNE that can operate it

ZK-NBT

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:34 am

DavidByrne wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

I don't know about QF, but I found that when NZ stopped providing a weekly schedule on their web site, you could do a "work-around" through an Innosked link. Just like old times . . .
http://airnewzealand2.innosked.com/sche ... anguage=EN

Thanks for that, makes it so much easier.

Flyingsottsman

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:37 am

A350OZ wrote:
On Cairns and CX, having spent 4 days up there last week I have to agree with Velocity7's earlier post, the state of Cairns itself is getting quite depressing. If I would have travelled there the first time and ended up in a hotel in Cairns proper, I would probably not come back. Vacancies everywhere, average to poor food offerings, everything mainly serving the backpacker crowd (granted it has always been like this since I first visited about 9 years ago and returned a number of times since, but each time it feels it's getting a little worse).

We stayed in Trinity Beach which is absolutely gorgeous, but then getting takeaway from the local Italian - 2 pizzas, one pasta dish, one starter - for a total of $86!!!, it becomes quite clear how FNQ cannot compete with Pacific islands, SE Asia or other destinations for the international tourism dollar...

CX leaving will mean a further decline, hopefully someone else will be able and willing to fill the gap. Given its proximity to main Asian markets I can absolutely see how an A321LR operation can make sense, so hopefully someone will give this a go.

I di like Cairns, but it does have its draw backs, around Carins itself its surrounded by mangrove swamps and of course Crocs you have to take nearly a 2 hour boat trip to get to the Reef, the Daintree is like 2 hours drive North and there is not much going on in the city itself. Fiji, Honolulu, and a lot of the Pacific Islands you only have to go waist deep and you are swimming with the fish amongst the reef where Cairns and the other regional Centres along the Queensland Coast the GBR is a good at least 2 hour boat ride from the Ports. to add to the fact as well its much cheaper to fly to the Pacific Islands then it is to holiday up in Cairns. When does CX pull out of Carins I didn't know they were going to pull that flight from their network.

SYDSpotter

Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:20 am

CityRail wrote:
Gangurru wrote:
Cathay Pacific is reportedly ending it’s Cairns flights.

https://www.tropicnow.com.au/2019/april ... ights.html

Putting aside whether there is a market for CNS-HKG and whether or not the 738 has the legs to do it, the most pressing issue is the lack of slots at HKG.
319_320_321_332_333_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789

SeaEagle8

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:12 pm

Flyingsottsman wrote:
A350OZ wrote:

When does CX pull out of Carins I didn't know they were going to pull that flight from their network.

This was only announced last week. Cairns has lost HX, CZ and now CX this year. Perhaps there is a market if someone can find the right aircraft to fly CNS-HKG. With both HX and CX pulling out doesn't indicate a robust market though.
And the points about FNQ in general. I've been about 5 times myself. Only stayed in Cairns on two of those trips. It's not just international tourism but also domestic tourism. With so many other options, especially from Sydney, FNQ is competing directly with Pacific Islands and SE Asia as mentioned. Sad but true.

Cairns airport's passenger numbers are down quite a bit already.
NSW based avgeek

QF742

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:40 pm

SeaEagle8 wrote:
Flyingsottsman wrote:
A350OZ wrote:

When does CX pull out of Carins I didn't know they were going to pull that flight from their network.

This was only announced last week. Cairns has lost HX, CZ and now CX this year. Perhaps there is a market if someone can find the right aircraft to fly CNS-HKG. With both HX and CX pulling out doesn't indicate a robust market though.
And the points about FNQ in general. I've been about 5 times myself. Only stayed in Cairns on two of those trips. It's not just international tourism but also domestic tourism. With so many other options, especially from Sydney, FNQ is competing directly with Pacific Islands and SE Asia as mentioned. Sad but true.

Cairns airport's passenger numbers are down quite a bit already.

I agree with all of the observations made about FNQ. I went to Port Douglas about 2 years ago (after not having been since the 90s). Unfortunately nothing has changed and it is extremely expensive. In all, the 4 day trip to Port Douglas cost more than a week in Bali (flights included) and the accommodation and food were certainly much worse than Bali. It’s sad because there are incredibly beautiful things to see in that part of Australia.

SCFlyer

Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:42 pm

Not surprisingly, Virgin Australia will delay deliveries of their 737MAX aircraft till Q3 2021, and will take delivery of the 737 MAX 10 first.

15 of the 737 MAX 8s will be converted to to 737 MAX 10s. Making it a total of 15x 737 MAX 8s and 25x 737 MAX 10s.

IMO, The MAX10s would be good on both peak hour East Coast Triangle and Trans-Con runs.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 51igi.html

vhqpa

Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:21 am

Not unexpected, but I wonder where this leaves Tiger's fleet transition to the 737NG? Do they retain a mixed 320/73H fleet for the next two years? Can we expect VA group to lease some secondhand 737-800 in the meantime?
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

EK413

Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:07 am

getluv wrote:
EK413 wrote:
getluv wrote:

It is not driven by AOG. Purely commercial. The 747 would have been on the ground all day. QF needed the extra inventory.

It’s not purely commercial & don’t bother getting into a debate as to why so let’s leave it at that...

EK413

I’m not debating. You would generally have to know something.

Not 1 but 2 A330’s out of action resulted in the B747 which would’ve spent an entire day in SYD operate AKL/SYD rotation. The capacity of a B747 wasn’t required it was just an Ops spare for the day.

As resulted freed up the A330 which was required to operate another International sector.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:42 am

Please continue discussion in Australia Aviation Thread May 2019

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1421467
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos