unrave

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - April 2019

Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:10 pm

CPS001 wrote:
The govt owes them quite a bit from Modi's trips. So we can blame the govt too.

Oh really? The GoI has in fact been flushing our money down the drain called AI - $5 bn and counting since 2011. Against this whatever money owed by official trips are (1) meagre and (2) likely to have been paid off albeit after a delay, like any other receivable.
Denial of racism is as egregious as racism itself

pune

Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:34 am

unrave wrote:
CPS001 wrote:

Oh really? The GoI has in fact been flushing our money down the drain called AI - $5 bn and counting since 2011. Against this whatever money owed by official trips are (1) meagre and (2) likely to have been paid off albeit after a delay, like any other receivable.

see https://twitter.com/anuragkotoky/status ... 4407919616 and https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/arti ... paign-edge?

unrave

Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:06 am

pune wrote:

What do private jet operators have to do with Air India?

anshabhi

Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:50 am

pune wrote:

Its a very speculative article with all info coming from unidentified "sources". I don't like to believe a single word contained in such articles.

sand26391

Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:40 am

"ETIHAD's 1 of 4 daily Mumbai service is now remarked with "Subject to Government Approval" for flights on/after 01MAY19"

https://twitter.com/Airlineroute/status ... 92352?s=19

anshabhi

Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:46 am

6E stock touched 52 week and all time high of 1610 today
https://www.moneycontrol.com/india/stoc ... ation/IA04

SG has gained nearly 70% in 1 month
https://www.moneycontrol.com/india/stoc ... cejet/SJ01

dtw2hyd

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:13 pm

SeanM1997 wrote:
Will Air India look to obtain rights to Heathrow to fly an additional daily flight from Delhi and Mumbai?

It has to get from the open market, or GoI can arm-twist EY to give old 9W slots at a cheaper rate.

9W's demise presents a new challenge to the already simmering DEL/BOM (vs) Tier-2 conundrum.

If Indian airlines keep going back connecting BOM/DEL to Europe, Tier-2 cities will never get a chance. ME3 will remain dominant international carriers.

unrave

Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:09 pm

IndiGo to launch 10 additional flights from BOM and 8additional flights from DEL starting 5th and 10th May respectively

unrave

Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:41 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
ME3 will remain dominant international carriers.

A much better choice than Air India or Jet Airways

CaliguyNYC

Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:16 pm

unrave wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

I think dtw2hyd's point was that he wants international connectivity from more tier 2 cities that fly somewhere other than the ME (and I am adding SE Asia). The main opportunity these cities had was through strong Indian airlines. With Jet's demise, Indigo and Spice will each try and fill the gap from BOM and DEL left by Jet's exit (putting off other cities for some time). This means all Tier 2 cities get is ME3. You seem to be happy with that, he is not. To each their own I guess.

unrave

Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:37 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
I think dtw2hyd's point was that he wants international connectivity from more tier 2 cities that fly somewhere other than the ME (and I am adding SE Asia). The main opportunity these cities had was through strong Indian airlines. With Jet's demise, Indigo and Spice will each try and fill the gap from BOM and DEL left by Jet's exit (putting off other cities for some time). This means all Tier 2 cities get is ME3. You seem to be happy with that, he is not. To each their own I guess.

I didn't see Jet and AI rushing to add direct connectivity from small cities? They only wanted us to funnel through BOM/DEL. IndiGo and SpiceJet have 100s of planes to take so even if their immediate concern is about grabbing slots at BOM/DEL they'll shift their focus to smaller cities sooner than later

CaliguyNYC

Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:26 pm

unrave wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:

I didn't see Jet and AI rushing to add direct connectivity from small cities? They only wanted us to funnel through BOM/DEL. IndiGo and SpiceJet have 100s of planes to take so even if their immediate concern is about grabbing slots at BOM/DEL they'll shift their focus to smaller cities sooner than later

Well Jet did, just to the ME. They also did launch BLR-AMS and MAA-CDG. Both of those flights were appreciated by Skyteam fliers. Plus the added frequency out of BOM did give tier 2 cities more timing options. My guess would be that dtw2hyd was hoping for a AMS-HYD flight either by KL or 9W. DTW is a sky team fortress, so that flight would have been a good add for sky team country. But all, that will not happen for awhile now. I am willing to bet there will be no longhair launch by either Spice or Indigo from a cities other than BOM, DEL or BLR for at least 5 years. The reason will be that they will launch their BOM flights and will struggle. EU-India fares are super cheap as is. Because they won't be making big profits, they can't subsidize the launch of even HYD-LGW. Willing to bet on this. But let's see. I hope I am wrong.

lightsaber

Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:43 pm

SpiceJet to rapidly add ATRs:

https://www.bing.com/amp/www.newindiane ... 964999.amp

Why are they the only airline taking advantage of the spike in fares to expand rapidly? I doubt the Jet ATR pilots didn't shop around. Kudos to seizing the opportunity.

I understand Indigo's A320 pilot shortage. They could have grabbed ATRs and pilots too.

SpiceJet's growth by summer end is amazing.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

unnayan

Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:56 pm

lightsaber wrote:
SpiceJet to rapidly add ATRs:

https://www.bing.com/amp/www.newindiane ... 964999.amp

Why are they the only airline taking advantage of the spike in fares to expand rapidly? I doubt the Jet ATR pilots didn't shop around. Kudos to seizing the opportunity.

I understand Indigo's A320 pilot shortage. They could have grabbed ATRs and pilots too.

SpiceJet's growth by summer end is amazing.

Lightsaber

Sorry to nitpick.. but SG are adding Q400 not ATR

pune

Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:44 pm

unrave wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

IATA airline search gives no info. on ME3 or did you mean middle-eastern carriers ?

Also can somebody tell me how to upload photos here, there doesn't seem to be a way to add photos directly in the forum :(

binayak

Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:50 pm

pune wrote:
IATA airline search gives no info. on ME3 or did you mean middle-eastern carriers ?

ME3 is a collective code for Emirates, Etihad, Qatar trio.
Don't worry bro, you'll soon understand the various codes we use on Anet.
Just for your future reference :
EU3: British airways, Air France, Lufthansa trio
US3: American, Delta, United trio.
The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today

binayak

Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:54 pm

pune wrote:
Also can somebody tell me how to upload photos here, there doesn't seem to be a way to add photos directly in the forum :(

You can upload photos using a third party hosting site. You just google "Airliners net photos upload " and you'll get threads giving s step by step explanation of the same.
The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today

pune

Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:55 pm

Has anybody by any chance seen the new Istanbul Airport and compared it with Qatar Airport. I just been to Qatar and then South Africa, Cape Town Airport. I could not even begin to compare between Qatar and any Indian Airport to date, would be interesting if somebody has been to these two Airports and can share their views.

@binayak, thank you for sharing the codes, makes lot of sense :)

pune

Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:00 pm

binayak wrote:
pune wrote:

You can upload photos using a third party hosting site. You just google "Airliners net photos upload " and you'll get threads giving s step by step explanation of the same.

I actually didn't want to upload a photo though but wanted to thank whoever shared the plan for people-mover at DIAL in coming months, years, have forgotten who it was, does anybody know or is there a way to locate the person ?

avier

Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:59 am

Seems like airlines are cutting down on flights between other cities to fill up vacated slots of 9W at BOM/DEL. That doesn't seem to go well with the regulators.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.economictimes.com/industry/transportation/airlines-/-aviation/regulator-against-diversion-of-flights-to-fill-jet-airways-trunk-slots/amp_articleshow/68914843.cms

6E's new flights using Jet slots at BOM/DEL below.
Note: They are cunningly using these slots for adding new flights on routes not even operated by Jet, so doesn't help in utilising these slots well enough for the shortage in Jet vacated routes completely. These are to stations like Bhubaneswar/Ranchi, and routes like DEL-BDQ where 9W has never or hasn't operated since ages.etc.
And they seem to be dumping a lot of capacity on routes like BOM-BHO/IDR to bully I5 & SG, instead of launching flights to other stations which face capacity shortage.

https://www.ndtv.com/business/indigo-announces-additional-daily-flights-routes-schedule-fare-booking-details-here-2024085

VTORD

Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:28 am

avier wrote:
6E's new flights using Jet slots at BOM/DEL below.
Note: They are cunningly using these slots for adding new flights on routes not even operated by Jet, so doesn't help in utilizing these slots well enough for the shortage in Jet vacated routes completely. These are to stations like Bhubaneswar/Ranchi, and routes like DEL-BDQ where 9W has never or hasn't operated since ages.etc.

9W used to fly an evening DEL-BDQ-DEL which was then moved to a JetLite route - I think around 2011-12. At some point there used to be a morning flight as well. Always wondered how come 9W+6E added flights on routes to BDQ and AI + IT (legacy Air Deccan route) removed since 2006.

VTCIE

Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:45 am

binayak wrote:
pune wrote:

ME3 is a collective code for Emirates, Etihad, Qatar trio.
Don't worry bro, you'll soon understand the various codes we use on Anet.
Just for your future reference :
EU3: British airways, Air France, Lufthansa trio
US3: American, Delta, United trio.

I think we should stop including Etihad in the group. Only EK and QR have a genuine worldwide network. This is no longer true for EY. If anything, TK (Turkish) should be included in the group, since it is a truly global airline, but I see TK as a European airline and not a Middle Eastern airline. (You are free to criticise me, but my stand on TK being European remains firm.) In any case, I always say ‘ME2’ and never ‘ME3’.

To return to the topic, @dtw2hyd is unfortunately correct. With the solitary exception of AF’s CDG-BLR, which is an existing route, no DL/AF/KL airline will fly anywhere in India other than DEL/BOM. (BLR is still not up to the level of the other two.) And now they are left stranded without a partner for onward domestic connections. Other airline groups—or, for that matter, 6E, SG and UK—are not willing to add too many European routes from BLR, MAA or HYD. For cities (like AMD) smaller than these (as well as CCU), going via DXB/DOH is the only option in the foreseeable future.

CaliguyNYC wrote:
unrave wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:

Well Jet did, just to the ME. They also did launch BLR-AMS and MAA-CDG. Both of those flights were appreciated by Skyteam fliers. Plus the added frequency out of BOM did give tier 2 cities more timing options. My guess would be that dtw2hyd was hoping for a AMS-HYD flight either by KL or 9W. DTW is a sky team fortress, so that flight would have been a good add for sky team country. But all, that will not happen for awhile now. I am willing to bet there will be no longhair launch by either Spice or Indigo from a cities other than BOM, DEL or BLR for at least 5 years. The reason will be that they will launch their BOM flights and will struggle. EU-India fares are super cheap as is. Because they won't be making big profits, they can't subsidize the launch of even HYD-LGW. Willing to bet on this. But let's see. I hope I am wrong.
In grieving remembrance of the thousands of people who lost their lives on ET-AVJ, PK-LQP, XA-UHZ, S2-AGU, CP-2933, SU-GCC, EI-ETJ, D-AIPX, PK-AXC, 9M-MRD, VT-AXV and above all 9M-MRO, besides many more. Your deaths are not in vain. Safety first, always.

unrave

Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:26 am

Pune has refarmed the 18 daily slots vacated by Jet to IndiGo and SpiceJet permanently.

CPS001

Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:35 am

unrave wrote:
Pune has refarmed the 18 daily slots vacated by Jet to IndiGo and SpiceJet permanently.

How many to each, and what routes if any have been announced? Interesting that Vistara didn't get any, since they had filed for some Pune flights in the summer schedule (though they probably don't have spare aircraft anyway).

unrave

Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:35 am

CPS001 wrote:
unrave wrote:
How many to each, and what routes if any have been announced? Interesting that Vistara didn't get any, since they had filed for some Pune flights in the summer schedule.

We'll have to wait till airline schedules are announced to get clarity. This information comes from Pune airport director

AirIndia

Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:23 am

VTCIE wrote:
I think we should stop including Etihad in the group. Only EK and QR have a genuine worldwide network. This is no longer true for EY. If anything, TK (Turkish) should be included in the group, since it is a truly global airline.

EY is still substantial but their past follies and the new IST pose a serious existential threat to EY as partof ME3. I see them reduced to a boutique carrier in 5-10 years time.

VTCIE wrote:
but I see TK as a European airline and not a Middle Eastern airline. (You are free to criticise me, but my stand on TK being European remains firm.)

Turks will love you for this comment :D :)

unrave

Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:55 am

AirIndia wrote:
Turks will love you for this comment :D :)

And Europeans will hate in equal measure

chinmay17shetye

Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:11 am

Are BOM slots being handed out purely based on a/c availability?
If so, I think only the companies with large fleets (except AI of course) will get the biggest share of the pie.

The slots being temporary, is CSIA following the WSGs for slot redistribution?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

avier

Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:15 am

Air-India to launch direct Mumbai- Visakhapatnam r.t from May '19. This in addition to their triangular routing on BOM-RPR-VTZ-BOM.

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/visakhapatnam/air-india-to-start-vizag-to-mumbai-flight-services/articleshow/68912647.cms

unrave

Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:20 am

DGCA says it is conducting a special safety audit of IndiGo PW engines. It has sent a show cause notice to the COO and Head of engineering.

avier

Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:26 am

unrave wrote:
DGCA says it is conducting a special safety audit of IndiGo PW engines. It has sent a show cause notice to the COO and Head of engineering.

Why? Now what happened regarding it? Any latest incidents?

unrave

Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:32 am

avier wrote:
unrave wrote:

Why? Now what happened regarding it? Any latest incidents?

https://www.cnbctv18.com/aviation/dgca- ... 985181.htm
Apparently it is the annual safety audit that has been advanced in view of the PW persistent PW issues.

dtw2hyd

Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:29 am

Looks like someone doesn't want Indigo to pick up Jet vacated slots.

aarbee

Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:15 pm

VTCIE wrote:
For cities (like AMD) smaller than these (as well as CCU), going via DXB/DOH is the only option in the foreseeable future.

Amdavadi's have long given up and US/EU or India based airlines providing service. They are now content with transiting via DOH, DXB, AUH, KWI.
Love the AIXes

avier

Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:44 am

SpiceJet to add six more Boeing 737-800 NG on dry lease, this in addition to their 16 they mentioned earlier.

anshabhi

Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:57 am

Ajay Singh owns 60% stake in SpiceJet. At current stock price his net worth is around $800 million. If SG touches Rs 175, he will become a billionaire.

unrave

Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:29 am

anshabhi wrote:
Ajay Singh owns 60% stake in SpiceJet. At current stock price his net worth is around $800 million. If SG touches Rs 175, he will become a billionaire.

On that note IndiGo is now the most valuable airline company in South-South East Asia & Aus-NZ: more valuable than even SQ

VTCIE

Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:30 am

Chennai Airport has done the unthinkable: it has brought in a host of new retailers at the domestic terminal. Only in DEL/BOM/BLR do you expect to see such top-level brands. Kudos to AAI!

More shops are coming in the international terminal. The ancient departures section has had a few shops under construction for some time.

https://twitter.com/aaichnairport/statu ... 2296299521
https://twitter.com/aaichnairport/statu ... 9101148160

In grieving remembrance of the thousands of people who lost their lives on ET-AVJ, PK-LQP, XA-UHZ, S2-AGU, CP-2933, SU-GCC, EI-ETJ, D-AIPX, PK-AXC, 9M-MRD, VT-AXV and above all 9M-MRO, besides many more. Your deaths are not in vain. Safety first, always.

anshabhi

Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:53 am

VTCIE wrote:
Chennai Airport has done the unthinkable: it has brought in a host of new retailers at the domestic terminal. Only in DEL/BOM/BLR do you expect to see such top-level brands. Kudos to AAI!

More shops are coming in the international terminal. The ancient departures section has had a few shops under construction for some time.

https://twitter.com/aaichnairport/statu ... 2296299521
https://twitter.com/aaichnairport/statu ... 9101148160

Wowwwwiieee so we are talking about AAI doing everything that private entities do. That's pretty awesome considering how private groups like Adani are preparing so Rob the shops off in terms of rent. Ultimately travellers will have to pay more resulting out of high rents.

This I believe is the way to go and not privatization of Airports.

unrave

Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:20 am

anshabhi wrote:

Have you seen the toilets at MAA?

anshabhi

Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:25 am

unrave wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

I have never been to MAA. But I have been to many other AAI airports and agreed toilets there are typical Indian sarkari standards. It has more to do with how the terminal was constructed than AAI itself

Have the private players ever redesigned the toilets by themselves? Airports like DEL BLR BOM have elegant toilets because they were designed like that and current operators are maintaining them properly.

avier

Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:50 am

SpiceJet's new flights from Mumbai & Delhi using vacated Jet slots.

Mumbai-Jaipur/Patna/Bagdogra/Amritsar/Hyderabad/Coimbatore/
Kolkata/Mangaluru
Mumbai-Delhi X 2
Delhi-Patna/Bangalore.

Viman

Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:36 pm

anshabhi wrote:
VTCIE wrote:

Wowwwwiieee so we are talking about AAI doing everything that private entities do. That's pretty awesome considering how private groups like Adani are preparing so Rob the shops off in terms of rent. Ultimately travellers will have to pay more resulting out of high rents.

Nope, I would like to see an increase in privatisation of as many airports as possible, reduce AAI filth as much as possible. I would much rather pay a fee for a private airport than travel in a sarkari airport.

VTCIE

Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:43 pm

AI is offering special discounted fares for stranded 9W passengers. Goodness knows how it will fly routes like CDG-MAA that it does not serve. Will that take a toll on its long-haul fleet?

https://livefromalounge.boardingarea.co ... ded-fares/

VTCIE

Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:49 pm

Viman wrote:
anshabhi wrote:
VTCIE wrote:

Nope, I would like to see an increase in privatisation of as many airports as possible, reduce AAI filth as much as possible. I would much rather pay a fee for a private airport than travel in a sarkari airport.

Absolutely. During my study break SIN-MAA-SIN shuttles, the departure from SIN is always such a breeze, thanks not only due to the shops but also due to the overall efficiency and organisation of the airport, while the joy of coming home is badly dampened by MAA’s antediluvian arrivals hall.

I have been to BOM and BLR only once (the flights were one-way*) and DEL twice, so I have barely experienced an Indian airport that is actually world-class. I am sure they are quite close to Changi levels.

*The onward journey was by train.

CPS001

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:02 pm

VTCIE wrote:
AI is offering special discounted fares for stranded 9W passengers. Goodness knows how it will fly routes like CDG-MAA that it does not serve. Will that take a toll on its long-haul fleet?

https://livefromalounge.boardingarea.co ... ded-fares/
All the routes mentioned are routes it already serves. MAA-CDG is operated as MAA-DEL-CDG and back under the flight number AI142/143 with a plane change at DEL.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Viman

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:04 pm

VTCIE wrote:
Viman wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

Absolutely. During my study break SIN-MAA-SIN shuttles, the departure from SIN is always such a breeze, thanks not only due to the shops but also due to the overall efficiency and organisation of the airport, while the joy of coming home is badly dampened by MAA’s antediluvian arrivals hall.

I have been to BOM and BLR only once (the flights were one-way*) and DEL twice, so I have barely experienced an Indian airport that is actually world-class. I am sure they are quite close to Changi levels.

Do not worry, the rate of privatisation of Indian airports is increasing in recent times apart from new constructions which are also private, you should follow and post in this thread for more information on the topic : viewtopic.php?t=1411949

VTCIE

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:06 pm

Viman wrote:
VTCIE wrote:
Viman wrote:

Do not worry, the rate of privatisation of Indian airports is increasing in recent times apart from new constructions which are also private, you should follow and post in this thread for more information on the topic : viewtopic.php?t=1411949

Of course I know that AMD, JAI, GAU, etc. are getting privatised by Adani. But rest assured MAA and CCU never will. Not in my lifetime.

subramak1

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:33 pm

unrave wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

I have .. It was not very different than either HYD or DEL , which are privately operated.

Subu

Bhadra

Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:59 pm

Q4FY19 outlook for the two operational (& listed) airlines in the country:

Interglobe is expected to have a net profit of about 1K crores for the just concluded quarter - that's higher than my estimates. But we'll find out soon.

Source: HDFC Securities

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos