Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ishrion
Topic Author

Hawaiian Airlines 787 New Business Class Seats

Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:22 pm

https://onemileatatime.com/hawaiian-air ... ess-class/

Looks good, this the first customer to have the Ascent Adient Aerospace seat.

flyboy80

Re: Hawaiian Airlines 787 New Business Class Seats

Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:39 pm

Why is it pictured inside a 767? Must have been the virtual design marketed initially to HA.

ewt340

Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:12 pm

Looks good. It's kind of weird since their latest business class seat it's fairly young. Not even 5 years old.

WPvsMW

Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:47 pm

But HA's WB J seat is the worst of the majors... driven by 2-2-2 and the weird triangular legrest.

cathay747

Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:19 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
But HA's WB J seat is the worst of the majors... driven by 2-2-2 and the weird triangular legrest.

Well that's all driven by the fact that HA is a mostly-leisure oriented (and some would say boutique/niche) airline, not catering to the same market as UA/AA/DL with their superior J seats. It's still a great improvement (lie-flat) over what they had on the 763's.

From those pics, I'd say that new 787 J looks damn good! Again, probably not on par with big, blue-chip network carriers, but for HA, damn good.
Try a Little VC-10derness

Motorhussy

Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:47 pm

Looks great and hope this works well for them and doesn’t end up having to be too expensive for the leisure type of elite traveller HA attracts. Will they have a Y+/Y premium class too?
come visit the south pacific

airzona11

Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:26 pm

WPvsMW wrote:

Well it is better than the domestic product that makes up the majority of the majors product to Hawaii, plus is it is a fresh new product. Even internationally into Hawaii, it is pretty on par.

PacificWest

Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:14 am

WPvsMW wrote:

My guess is you haven't flown on their new 321's yet. Typical domestic "barely-reclines" business class, with no PTV's...

Hawaiian's spreadsheets are hoping they can continue to command a premium fare with the same mediocre crap that UA/AA/AS offers.

Being able to have a lie-flat seat on 5-6 hour flights from the West Coast to Hawaii is/was awesome -- I think they still fly a couple 330's out of SEA, SFO, and LAX.

TW870

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:40 am

The seat looks fantastic! On the downside, I can't get over how bad the brown/turquoise combo that has become the Hawaiian interior is. Their aircraft are gorgeous on the outside. They could do so much more to integrate their corporate color palette into the interior. The old pink and purple DC-9 interiors were far better than this look. This is very America West late-80s, a desert flower for the tropics that needs to go. But the new seats nevertheless look great.

SoCalFlyer

Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:18 am

Where are they planning on flying the 789 too? That plane has superb range, Will they be using it to its fullest or near full range potential, and what routes could that be do you all think?

WPvsMW

Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:37 am

airzona11 wrote:
WPvsMW wrote:

Well it is better than the domestic product that makes up the majority of the majors product to Hawaii, plus is it is a fresh new product. Even internationally into Hawaii, it is pretty on par.

Agree that HA WB is better than anybody's NB, including HA NB (A321), but the comparison is with wide body intl J aka domestic F (in the context of HA WBs). IOW, HA's current 332 J product is nowhere close to DL's A333 HNL/ATL or AA's B777 HNL/DFW. Granted, the new J looks better than the current 2-2-2.

That said, HA's 332 J HNL/SEA far superior than NB F to the mainland on DL, AS, etc. That's why I jumped ship from DL to HA on HNL/SEA as soon as HA put A332s on that city-pair. Better food on HA, too. You can guess who I will book on my next HNL/BOS nonstop. Wait... only one operator on that city-pair. :)

WPvsMW

Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:44 am

PacificWest wrote:
WPvsMW wrote:

My guess is you haven't flown on their new 321's yet.

I haven't and I won't as long as I can book a wide body with intl J sold as domestic F.

CARST

Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:51 am

Isn't that the QR Qsuite?

Perhaps in a mildly updated form?

oldannyboy

Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:58 am

TW870 wrote:
The seat looks fantastic! On the downside, I can't get over how bad the brown/turquoise combo that has become the Hawaiian interior is. Their aircraft are gorgeous on the outside. They could do so much more to integrate their corporate color palette into the interior. The old pink and purple DC-9 interiors were far better than this look. This is very America West late-80s, a desert flower for the tropics that needs to go. But the new seats nevertheless look great.

:checkmark:

Absolutely.
I am personally so done with dark, colorless cabins. And this is especially true for someone hailing from such a vibrant, colorful, warm archipelago...I mean, where are the flowery accents, and the turquoise of the sea? All I see there is mostly dark grey leather.... So uninspiring.

77H

Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:31 am

PacificWest wrote:
WPvsMW wrote:

My guess is you haven't flown on their new 321's yet. Typical domestic "barely-reclines" business class, with no PTV's...

Hawaiian's spreadsheets are hoping they can continue to command a premium fare with the same mediocre crap that UA/AA/AS offers.

Being able to have a lie-flat seat on 5-6 hour flights from the West Coast to Hawaii is/was awesome -- I think they still fly a couple 330's out of SEA, SFO, and LAX.

You mean... the same crap UA/AA/AS and DL offers. Curious but not surprising DL was left out of your comparison despite providing the same hard product offering as the other 3.

A quick sampling of DL’s flights in the 5-6 hr range (LAX/SEA-HNL) today show less lie flats than AA, HA or UA. All of AA’s 321s on the LAX-HNL route have lie flats vs 1 flight on DL (red eye 752). HA has 3 flights on the 332 LAX-HNL with lie flats and UA operated an international config 77E on the route today though it’s HD 77A’s have lie flats as well. Only AS offers no lie flats.

If you want to compare DL’s SEA-HNL to the other carriers, DL operates one flight with lie flats. HA operates a 332 with lie flats on the same route and AA’s only WC gateway in your described flight time range is out of LAX which I mentioned above. UA operates 3 flights with lie flats out of its SFO hub to HNL. So factually, HA is on par with the offerings of the US3. Fact is, most Hawaii vacationers aren’t in F/J so it’s largely irrelevant.

As for PTV’s, DL can keep them. First thing I do on a PTV airplane is power it off.

And before I get called out for being a DL hater, I have no problem with them, they offer great service. I just don’t they’re the only airline to do so nor do I think they’re the best thing to happen in aviation since the Wright Flyer like so many on here do.

77H
Last edited by 77H on Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

FlyinRabbit88

Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:41 am

oldannyboy wrote:
TW870 wrote:

Absolutely.
I am personally so done with dark, colorless cabins. And this is especially true for someone hailing from such a vibrant, colorful, warm archipelago...I mean, where are the flowery accents, and the turquoise of the sea? All I see there is mostly dark grey leather.... So uninspiring.

From the article
“The exact configuration hasn’t yet been revealed, though Hawaiian Airlines has said that they’ve chosen the seat in part because of how customizable it is. So as of now we only know what the “generic” concept looks like, and not the finished product for Hawaiian Airlines.”

It makes it sound this is just a basic mock-up of what the seat layout would look like and is no where near what the final product would look like as for colors. I assume Hawaiian won’t announce the full layout and colors until it is closer to the delivery of their 787s.

oldannyboy

Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:41 pm

FlyinRabbit88 wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:
TW870 wrote:

Absolutely.

From the article
“The exact configuration hasn’t yet been revealed, though Hawaiian Airlines has said that they’ve chosen the seat in part because of how customizable it is. So as of now we only know what the “generic” concept looks like, and not the finished product for Hawaiian Airlines.”

It makes it sound this is just a basic mock-up of what the seat layout would look like and is no where near what the final product would look like as for colors. I assume Hawaiian won’t announce the full layout and colors until it is closer to the delivery of their 787s.

Surely not?
Why bother showing the image altogether if they have yet to decide on both the seat and the colors? I think what they mean is that they have yet to decide on how many seats to install on the 787, hence the 767 mock-up, but that is indeed the seat. Cue the light blue piping, which is an HA design trademark of their latest cabins.

FlyinRabbit88

Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:58 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
FlyinRabbit88 wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:

Absolutely.

From the article

Surely not?
Why bother showing the image altogether if they have yet to decide on both the seat and the colors? I think what they mean is that they have yet to decide on how many seats to install on the 787, hence the 767 mock-up, but that is indeed the seat. Cue the light blue piping, which is an HA design trademark of their latest cabins.

SMH ok here is another article regarding the seats. Again it’s just a mock up showing the type of seats to be used and how the company looks forward to working with Hawaiian to come up with an unique island inspired product.

https://simpleflying.com/hawaiian-airlines-787/

The first looks of the seat, as reported in Australian Business Traveller, show a cutting edge product, with all the mod cons and tonnes of storage around the seat. Hawaiian Airlines say that the seat will be ‘highly customised’ from the standard model.
Whether this will include functional adjustments is not clear. We fully expect Hawaiian to customise the look of the seat, as they’re renowned for their island inspired patterns and materials in their current premium cabin offering. We’re excited to see the finished product.

cathay747

Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:00 pm

77H wrote:
PacificWest wrote:
My guess is you haven't flown on their new 321's yet. Typical domestic "barely-reclines" business class, with no PTV's...Hawaiian's spreadsheets are hoping they can continue to command a premium fare with the same mediocre crap that UA/AA/AS offers.

You mean... the same crap UA/AA/AS and DL offers. Curious but not surprising DL was left out of your comparison despite providing the same hard product offering as the other 3.

A quick sampling of DL’s flights in the 5-6 hr range (LAX/SEA-HNL) today show less lie flats than AA, HA or UA. All of AA’s 321s on the LAX-HNL route have lie flats vs 1 flight on DL (red eye 752). HA has 3 flights on the 332 LAX-HNL with lie flats and UA operated an international config 77E on the route today though it’s HD 77A’s have lie flats as well. Only AS offers no lie flats.

If you want to compare DL’s SEA-HNL to the other carriers, DL operates one flight with lie flats. HA operates a 332 with lie flats on the same route and AA’s only WC gateway in your described flight time range is out of LAX which I mentioned above. UA operates 3 flights with lie flats out of its SFO hub to HNL. So factually, HA is on par with the offerings of the US3. Fact is, most Hawaii vacationers aren’t in F/J so it’s largely irrelevant.

As for PTV’s, DL can keep them. First thing I do on a PTV airplane is power it off.

And before I get called out for being a DL hater, I have no problem with them, they offer great service. I just don’t they’re the only airline to do so nor do I think they’re the best thing to happen in aviation since the Wright Flyer like so many on here do.

77H

I believe you may be mistaken about AA...to the best of my knowledge, the only 321's AA have lie-flat seats on are the birds flying the JFK trans-con's to LAX/SFO; the only Hawaii flights AA has with lie-flats are any which are operated with 772's and A330's (which is PHX/HNL seasonal).
Try a Little VC-10derness

airzona11

Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:18 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
airzona11 wrote:
WPvsMW wrote:

Agree that HA WB is better than anybody's NB, including HA NB (A321), but the comparison is with wide body intl J aka domestic F (in the context of HA WBs). IOW, HA's current 332 J product is nowhere close to DL's A333 HNL/ATL or AA's B777 HNL/DFW. Granted, the new J looks better than the current 2-2-2.

That said, HA's 332 J HNL/SEA far superior than NB F to the mainland on DL, AS, etc. That's why I jumped ship from DL to HA on HNL/SEA as soon as HA put A332s on that city-pair. Better food on HA, too. You can guess who I will book on my next HNL/BOS nonstop. Wait... only one operator on that city-pair. :)

You make a great point, HNL-BOS they are only game in town. DFW/ATL is only AA or DL. There isn't enough premium capacity that is demanding a more luxurious product in the markets they fly. Their premium cabin has fewer seats than the competition on widebodies too.

Buy hey... maybe the future of ULH to Hawaii will change that!

77H

Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:18 pm

cathay747 wrote:
77H wrote:
PacificWest wrote:
My guess is you haven't flown on their new 321's yet. Typical domestic "barely-reclines" business class, with no PTV's...Hawaiian's spreadsheets are hoping they can continue to command a premium fare with the same mediocre crap that UA/AA/AS offers.

77H

I believe you may be mistaken about AA...to the best of my knowledge, the only 321's AA have lie-flat seats on are the birds flying the JFK trans-con's to LAX/SFO; the only Hawaii flights AA has with lie-flats are any which are operated with 772's and A330's (which is PHX/HNL seasonal).

You may be right. I was looking at SeatGuru for each flight operated by each of the main carriers on the route. It appeared that AA’s 321s has them but I may be wrong about that. If anything, it proves my point even more that HA is every bit as competitive as the US3+AS in terms of hard product offering.

77H

AEROFAN

Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:07 pm

I like the seat - colour and all
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ~Harlan Ellison~

PacificWest

Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:31 pm

77H wrote:
PacificWest wrote:
WPvsMW wrote:

77H

While I would never compare what Delta offers to the experience on a Hawaiian A330 -- Delta's PTV's are a big differentiator for most domestic flyers, including myself.

If PTV's don't matter to passengers, I guess AA/UA should start taking them out of their long-haul fleet.... after all, we all have iPads and love watching 2-hour movies on our iPhones, right?

WPvsMW

Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:06 pm

PacificWest wrote:
[...we all have iPads and love watching 2-hour movies on our iPhones, right?

Sarcasm, but so true, even smaller screens. I've watched pax watch movies on smartphones in HA 332 TPAC rather than use HA's iPad. Why? IDK. Didn't look like pax that flew HA enough to exhaust the movies on board.

obelau24

Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:16 pm

HA has problems with their overall product. Small things here and there add up to an experience that is not worth the price - especially since HA charges a premium for their A330 first class.

Ground service in Hawaii is really poor - typical local attitude of “good enough” and “lucky I come work today”. Their website is flashy but difficult to navigate a la new Delta which I hate with a passion. The new app is a complete joke - you can’t even book in the app, it takes you to the website; search tools are non-existent. I think mileage prices are high, even at 7,500 one way inter island - to earn that you’d have to fly 17 HNL-OGG roundtrips for a non elite flyer. Onboard the F/As are usually nice but the product is cafeteria style all around. There’s nothing premium about the first class meals and the IFE is a really poor offering - charging per movie in the back at a high rate and overall a limited variety of shows.

I’m very critical of HA because they can do so much better but it’s all “good enough”. I couldn’t care less about a free meal in economy if the overall experience is poor; the last time I ate an economy meal it was ok, but certainly not worth a premium. I’ve also asked many employees about the new first class seat as research for my travels and they always say it’s hard and narrow and every one of them says “it’s kind of weird”. To be honest, I liked the 767 recliners, but maybe I’m in the minority.

airportugal310

Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:17 pm

obelau24 wrote:
HA has problems with their overall product. Small things here and there add up to an experience that is not worth the price - especially since HA charges a premium for their A330 first class.

Ground service in Hawaii is really poor - typical local attitude of “good enough” and “lucky I come work today”. Their website is flashy but difficult to navigate a la new Delta which I hate with a passion. The new app is a complete joke - you can’t even book in the app, it takes you to the website; search tools are non-existent. I think mileage prices are high, even at 7,500 one way inter island - to earn that you’d have to fly 17 HNL-OGG roundtrips for a non elite flyer. Onboard the F/As are usually nice but the product is cafeteria style all around. There’s nothing premium about the first class meals and the IFE is a really poor offering - charging per movie in the back at a high rate and overall a limited variety of shows.

I’m very critical of HA because they can do so much better but it’s all “good enough”. I couldn’t care less about a free meal in economy if the overall experience is poor; the last time I ate an economy meal it was ok, but certainly not worth a premium. I’ve also asked many employees about the new first class seat as research for my travels and they always say it’s hard and narrow and every one of them says “it’s kind of weird”. To be honest, I liked the 767 recliners, but maybe I’m in the minority.

ummmm ok? How did we go from 787 seats to this unsolicited rant? Quality a.net
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

WPvsMW

Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:14 am

Axe to grind, o24? Here's a corollary: HA will have to sharpen its blade with a real interisland competitor that brings with it a huge FF base.

MaxiAir

Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:19 pm

CARST wrote:
Isn't that the QR Qsuite?

Perhaps in a mildly updated form?

No, it isn’t. The QSuite is made by Collins,
the supplier for the Hawaiian Seat is Adient Aerospace.
Also the seats pictures are not forward/rearward alternating, as the qsuite is. These pictures show a classical staggered seat, like for example the stelia Solstys.
But the important thing is, Adient has presented two different seat models, and the other one, called Ascent is a herringbone seat. And when you search for the Hawaiian press release you can see that its about that seat.
Flown on - 306,313,318,319,320,321,332,333,343,345,346,359,35K,388, 712,733,734,735,736,73G,738,744,748,752,753,763,77E,77L,77W, 788, 789, M11, M1F, M88, CR7,CR9, E35,E45,E75,E90,E95, AR1,AR8, DHT,DH1,DH4, and some more ;)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos