Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

intotheair

Re: UA's former CFO raises $125M for new LCC U.S. startup with B737

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:07 am

alasizon wrote:
Is there really a need for another all-Y ULCC though? Particularly at routes that can support 189 seats.

If they're going to grow slow and try markets that currently have no competition, why not?
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

CX747

Re: United Former CFO to Launch a New U.S. Budget Airline

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:18 am

Any idea on their livery?
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

Gulfstream500

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:49 am

CX747 wrote:
Any idea on their livery?

If they want to cut down on costs, maybe a big banner ad like this one:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Skybus- ... 12/1335819
So... when will the Northwest DC-9s be retired?

FiscAutTecGarte

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:13 am

Will they just keep the Xtra Airways name? It's not an awful name.
learning never stops...

FischAutoTechGarten is the full handle and it reflects my interest. It's abbreviated to fit A.net short usernames.

FlyHossD

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:24 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
If the doctor is a chiropractor, maybe. :)

Well played, in my opinion. :airplane:
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

HII

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:26 am

Bradin wrote:
<sarcasm>

An airline managed directly by accountants.... what could possibly go wrong?

$1.00 to use the lavatories
$0.50 for each sheet of toliet paper...
$1.00 to wash hands

</sarcasm>

Anyone who is actually familiar with airline operations knows that accountants just report the numbers from the past, the finance people that forecast the “savings” in the future are the bad guys.

Signed - a former airline accountant.

slcdeltarumd11

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:37 am

There is definitely room for a small budget carrier. Look at spirit and frontier they have no shortage of routes they want to try. What there isn't room for is another us4 network carrier which they are not going for. I don't see any new connection hubs. we will see more o&d focused routes and budget offerings. There are definitely some opportunities out there for the budget segment. People all say they hate spirit and frontier but watch them book them over and over when they actually look at fares.

enilria

Re: NEWS: UA's former CFO has raised $125M for new LCC U.S. startup airline, with B737 ser

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:10 pm

VS11 wrote:
It is always exciting when a new airline starts business. But the current expansionary business cycle is towards its end so the timing might be a big issue.

ULCCs and LCCs often do better in the poor end of the business cycle for 3 reasons:

1) Legacies leave markets
2) Legacies have less money to waste retaliating when the economy is poor
3) The market that shrinks in a poor economy is the business travel market primarily. For the most part the leisure market doesn't, somewhat because the customers that were paying higher fares move down to the lower fare market replacing those who can no longer afford to travel.

msp747 wrote:
alasizon wrote:
So it will be an all-Y airline to start; are they planning to be another ULCC or something different to set them apart?

The article mentions 189 seats on those 737s, which sounds like an all-coach configuration to me. Considering it is modeling itself a little like Allegiant and he talks about price-sensitive customers, I don't see why it would offer anything other than coach.

I don't think Breeze or this airline will be all coach. I expect something like "Big Front Seat" or " economy+" at a minimum. Also, those are really big planes. I don't believe the comments they will only fly unserved markets. If that is true it will be only because they "hub" in a new airport. Something like LKL-CLE/PIT/DTW/MDW/SDF type stuff is possible. Those are unserved, but still primary airports in spokes.

CX747

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:40 pm

I also like the idea of building up the fleet around the 737-800. As the Max comes back online and the A32Xneo delivery problems subside, more 737NGs will become available on the secondary market. That gives them access to a well know and reliable workhorse with less up front acquisition costs. Down the line, additional 737NGs or Max allow for a common training type.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

UPlog

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:51 pm

I have heard murmurs of these guys offering aircraft for charter service later this year. Anyone have further?
They still have that single 737 frame under the Xtra certificate and allegedly more aircraft already signed for.
I fly your boxes

KarlB737

Re: United Air’s Former CFO to Launch a New U.S. Budget Airline

Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:16 pm

KRIC777 wrote:
The US needs another budget airline?

He maybe thinking that if one or two current airlines fold then he will already be up to the plate.

MO11

Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:24 pm

UPlog wrote:
I have heard murmurs of these guys offering aircraft for charter service later this year. Anyone have further?
They still have that single 737 frame under the Xtra certificate and allegedly more aircraft already signed for.

That "single 737 frame" was sold to Nolinor in April.

strfyr51

Re: United Air’s Former CFO to Launch a New U.S. Budget Airline

Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:14 pm

KRIC777 wrote:
Someone83 wrote:
KRIC777 wrote:

True, competition is good, but I think in the US airline industry, competition just inspires lower fares and less service. And it seems like every US airline is already trying to be a "budget" airline anyway.

You prefere higher fares and less service instead?

No I don't. The response to my original reply was that more competition was a good thing because it inspires good customer service. My point was that in in this case, I believe competition will only inspire lower fares - NOT good customer service (and if anything, LESS service) because most customers don't care about service NEARLY as much as they care about the fare. Better service costs money, and for airlines there is little to be gained by improving service because most passengers won't pay more for it. I'm not saying that's good or bad, just stating my opinion.

He said Basic Economy fare Airline. So? what does that SAY other than Basic Economy? No frills? Little or NO Food and Stiff Booze prices. You read it just like I read it!
No Food means No flight Kitchens, a small warehouse as booze doesn't need refrigeration and they can buy Beer and/or Sodas from any local distributor. Their main expense will be fuel, cleaning and Maintenance which they might possibly contract out to one of the big service houses. With 737-800's I would consider a contract with United in Houston for aircraft checks just to have access to their parts supplies and possibly engine services when needed. especially since United has "Umpty 900" 737's and would be able to support theirs if necessary. He should know where to get other services and supplies depending on whether he was paying attention while he was at United. And could even send his pilots to United's DENTK flight training center.

jumpseat67

Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:44 pm

WeatherPilot wrote:
With Moxy or whatever Neeleman calls it starting in a couple years and now this new airline getting in the game where are these guys finding pilots? You can’t train them faster. 1,500 hours is 1,500 hours.

Pakistan?

elpaviator19

Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:33 am

Anyone heard any news about this airline (routes, logo, aircraft, etc) I’ve been looking around and can’t find anything that’s from the last few months. I know they want to be called Houston Air and they were rumored to start in 2020 with a all 737 fleet. I find it interesting all the airlines starting in the U.S. like Breeze, Eastern, Midwest, and now Xtra (Houston Air).

stlgph

Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:22 am

Andrew Levy has been hellbent on making this happen for about 15 years.

He'd also stack passengers like cork boards in planes if he could.

Might as well call this Skybus 2.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

FATFlyer

Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:33 pm

MO11 wrote:
UPlog wrote:

I believe XTRA currently has N801XT. That is a leased 737-800.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

MO11

Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:11 pm

FATFlyer wrote:
MO11 wrote:
UPlog wrote:

I believe XTRA currently has N801XT. That is a leased 737-800.

Yes, you're right. Not in service yet, but on the Ops Secs.

strfyr51

Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:23 am

intotheair wrote:
Didn’t he leave UA on bad blood?

I applaud the effort to bring in more competition. I would imagine if this airline ever gets off the ground, it’ll be in the same class as NK, G4, and F9. I doubt a bean counter from Allegiant would put much thought in quality product development.

like a few Ex-CO execs? He wasn't up to the task of running a global company. They came IN the door talking a game and their plans were not up to Par. the United BOD brought in Oscar Munoz nd Ditched Jeff Smisek. He could have stayed but didn't. Was it any Loss? Evidently Not. I would like to see him build and airline. He has a lot of compatriots out there to help him.

n7371f

Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:56 am

This is the airline in which former DL/NW CEO Richard Anderson is rumored to be linked to. Whispers within DAL GO that RA is coming back to work for a ULCC. He lives in Houston.

luv2cattlecall

Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:01 am

n7371f wrote:
This is the airline in which former DL/NW CEO Richard Anderson is rumored to be linked to. Whispers within DAL GO that RA is coming back to work for a ULCC. He lives in Houston.

And he's freshly retired and growing bored by the day

catiii

Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:12 am

strfyr51 wrote:
intotheair wrote:

I applaud the effort to bring in more competition. I would imagine if this airline ever gets off the ground, it’ll be in the same class as NK, G4, and F9. I doubt a bean counter from Allegiant would put much thought in quality product development.

like a few Ex-CO execs? He wasn't up to the task of running a global company. They came IN the door talking a game and their plans were not up to Par. the United BOD brought in Oscar Munoz nd Ditched Jeff Smisek. He could have stayed but didn't. Was it any Loss? Evidently Not. I would like to see him build and airline. He has a lot of compatriots out there to help him.

Specifically what “plans” of Andrew’s were “not up to par?”

I’m going to bet you have no idea what you’re talking about here.

catiii

Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:13 am

n7371f wrote:

Why would he go work for a startup, but more than that why would Andrew give up running the airline to Richard?

n7371f

Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:51 am

Fair question. No idea. Just telling you the loose talk I've heard. Honestly doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

catiii wrote:
n7371f wrote:

Why would he go work for a startup, but more than that why would Andrew give up running the airline to Richard?

N649DL

Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:16 am

Hack! Another UA/CO merger goon that screwed up the airline, IMHO.

strfyr51 wrote:
intotheair wrote:

Actually they did both. Oscar was with CO on the board. They brought him back in and Oscar had a heart attack about 5 years ago and UAL pooped the bed as a result.

IMHO, Legacy CO had some seriously mentally ill executives & leadership that went over to United. They clearly didn't learn from the Eastern & Texas Air days: You know it hit the fan when Bethune was publicly backing up Smisek & when he was attempting to take over UA in 2016 as well.

Oscar was no Saint, he was simply keeping things at bay and now they're stuck with someone just as divisive and damaging from AA (Kirby.) Nice Job UAL!

heavymetal

Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:48 pm

N649DL wrote:
Hack! Another UA/CO merger goon that screwed up the airline, IMHO.

strfyr51 wrote:
intotheair wrote:

Actually they did both. Oscar was with CO on the board. They brought him back in and Oscar had a heart attack about 5 years ago and UAL pooped the bed as a result.

IMHO, Legacy CO had some seriously mentally ill executives & leadership that went over to United. They clearly didn't learn from the Eastern & Texas Air days: You know it hit the fan when Bethune was publicly backing up Smisek & when he was attempting to take over UA in 2016 as well.

Oscar was no Saint, he was simply keeping things at bay and now they're stuck with someone just as divisive and damaging from AA (Kirby.) Nice Job UAL!

What do legacy CO executives have to do with Andrew Levy and starting a new ULCC? Levy had no involvement with United or Continental prior to becoming UAL CFO.

AntonioMartin

Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:44 pm

I have a name suggestion: Levy Air...:)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos