Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

iAvgeek737

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Thu May 06, 2021 2:13 pm

Boiler905 wrote:
Any guesses on where Avelo's 2nd base(s) will be? .

737-700 base at HVN was announced today. That was def a surprising announcement

UPlog

Thu May 06, 2021 2:57 pm

Mixing fleet up with -700s yes bit of surprise.

Obviously will be lots of winter Florida flying from HVN.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E0tLGJmWUAA ... ame=medium
I fly your boxes

wnflyguy

Thu May 06, 2021 3:00 pm

A lot of people speculating that Gary/Chicago airport is in talks with Avelo about a Aug start date for airline service returning to airport.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

CALMSP

Thu May 06, 2021 3:13 pm

I feel like RFD would be better than GYY, but is further from the loop.

AVLAirlineFreq

Thu May 06, 2021 3:17 pm

Can a fully loaded 737-700 headed for Florida make it off the runway at HVN?

Polot

Thu May 06, 2021 3:28 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:

Probably. 73Gs fly trans con from SNA and that runway is only 100’ longer. If they are exDL birds as stated in the other thread they are optioned for great take off performance.

catiii

Thu May 06, 2021 3:31 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:

short answer: Yes.

Ishrion

Thu May 06, 2021 3:35 pm

Polot wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:

Probably. 73Gs fly trans con from SNA and that runway is only 100’ longer. If they are exDL birds as stated in the other thread they are optioned for great take off performance.

Coincidentally, SNA's longest flight, nonstop to HNL, just launched a few minutes ago with a United 737-700.

Avelo's 737-700s are expected to have around 20 more seats than United's 737-700s, so weight issues shouldn't be a massive hinderance.

HVN to Florida is just 1,000 miles compared to SNA-HNL at 2,500 miles.

sprxUSA

Thu May 06, 2021 3:37 pm

Guess they are in no hurry to start up HVN if info will be out in the coming months.....Oct start??
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

airlineworker

Thu May 06, 2021 3:39 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:

737's and A-319's do many routes out of EYW with 5100 feet.

B747forever

Thu May 06, 2021 4:25 pm

About 45 pax on the return AZA-BUR flight.
Work Hard, Fly Right

airboss787

Thu May 06, 2021 4:54 pm

What is pay like at Avelo? Been hearing Breeze paying crap wages, so compared to them, how is Avelo paying? Haven’t heard much about that!
Star Alliance Gold

sfojvjets

Thu May 06, 2021 4:58 pm

airboss787 wrote:
What is pay like at Avelo? Been hearing Breeze paying crap wages, so compared to them, how is Avelo paying? Haven’t heard much about that!

Avelo is a little better than Sun Country. However, when you take into account higher cost of living in LA Basin than in MSP, you see that Avelo is basically on-par with SY's pay.

flight152

Thu May 06, 2021 4:59 pm

airboss787 wrote:

Avelo is equally bad.

sunking737

Thu May 06, 2021 5:53 pm

SCX Pilots are in talks very soon to raise their pay. IIRC 40% below others
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"
Retired MSP Ramper

airboss787

Thu May 06, 2021 7:12 pm

sfojvjets wrote:
airboss787 wrote:

Avelo is a little better than Sun Country. However, when you take into account higher cost of living in LA Basin than in MSP, you see that Avelo is basically on-par with SY's pay.

I am sorry, but I am not sure how SY pays either. I know more about the larger mainline and regional airlines.
Star Alliance Gold

sunking737

Thu May 06, 2021 10:26 pm

SCX Sorry for the format..Cut n Paste from airline Pilot Central
CAPTAIN PAY SCALE (Hourly)
Year
737-800
FIRST OFFICER PAY SCALE (Hourly)
Year
737-800
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"
Retired MSP Ramper

caribbeanSwag

Fri May 07, 2021 12:12 am

Avelo Air confirmed New Haven as a base. They also mentioned in the Houston Chronicle that they want to use an airport in Houston as a midpoint airport. Although which one exactly isn't determined. Their headquarters is in Houston, so it's likely.

It would be interesting if they used Gary for Chicago, as someone mentioned, and Ellington airport in Houston. To be in America's four largest cities in small small airports, this would be something.

AVLAirlineFreq

Fri May 07, 2021 12:47 am

caribbeanSwag wrote:

It would be interesting if they used Gary for Chicago, as someone mentioned, and Ellington airport in Houston. To be in America's four largest cities in small small airports, this would be something.

How hard would it be to restart scheduled service at Ellington? It's been a minute.

iAvgeek737

Fri May 07, 2021 1:01 am

CALMSP wrote:
I feel like RFD would be better than GYY, but is further from the loop.

as someone from the southside of Chicago, GYY is most of the time more convenient than Midway. If Avelo can get some good routes out of GYY and run a reasonable schedule (something Allegiant never did) they can do well.

TWA772LR

Fri May 07, 2021 2:48 am

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
caribbeanSwag wrote:

How hard would it be to restart scheduled service at Ellington? It's been a minute.

If they're going the Ryanair route then it's be CLL, DWH, GLS, or BPT. :stirthepot:
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

wedgetail737

Fri May 07, 2021 3:28 am

I find interesting that the current focal point, BUR, is the vacation destination for places like PSC, ACV and RDD (maybe it goes both ways when it comes to STS and BZN). But in the east, HVN is an originating point going to vacation destinations.

drerx7

Fri May 07, 2021 2:05 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
caribbeanSwag wrote:

I think a new facility would be needed. IIRC the old building needed to be upgraded for security after 9/11...Continental opted out. I would love to see them at EFD...SGR would be an interesting option too...its runway is 8,000ft
HOUSTON, TEXAS

caribbeanSwag

Sat May 08, 2021 4:22 am

drerx7 wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
caribbeanSwag wrote:

I think a new facility would be needed. IIRC the old building needed to be upgraded for security after 9/11...Continental opted out. I would love to see them at EFD...SGR would be an interesting option too...its runway is 8,000ft

I think SGR would be the best bet in Houston outside of IAH and HOU. Even if Ellington added a new facility, its close enough to HOU that it wouldn’t have a good zone. SGR is well positioned on the far west side of Houston where there’s a lot of wealth and high densities of population. Katy-Sugar Land-far west Houston would love having an option without needing to commute long hours for either airport.

Someone mentioned GLS, but this wouldn’t work. GLS could potentially fit a regional flight like AA to DFW or Delta to ATL, that could benefit from the cruise industry. But a base like Avelo I don’t see working.

Someone mentioned BMT and College station. Way too far from Houston to fit the Houston specific market.

That leaves SGR as the best option outside of HOU and IAH.

F9Animal

Sat May 08, 2021 4:57 am

joeblow10 wrote:
The real issue I have with the startup was the velocity ... they gave people a month to buy tickets on an airline nobody has ever heard of before. And they have no presence on OTAs at the moment - which makes it next to impossible to reach the average customer who has yet to hear of them.

The concept makes total sense... but the execution has been iffy to say the least, at least from my perspective. Seems to me like they should have held off a few more months and really gone all out on marketing

The CEO knows the airline will bleed when starting. The airline will take a year or two before it can sustain itself. They had the planes, had approval, and jumped in as soon as it could. Could it have been done differently? Sure. But even Allegiant when it started jumped right into the water without testing it's temperature. Let's wait and see what comes from it. I'm sure the word of mouth will help get passengers.
I Am A Different Animal!!

F9Animal

Sat May 08, 2021 5:01 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:
The real issue I have with the startup was the velocity ... they gave people a month to buy tickets on an airline nobody has ever heard of before. And they have no presence on OTAs at the moment - which makes it next to impossible to reach the average customer who has yet to hear of them.

The concept makes total sense... but the execution has been iffy to say the least, at least from my perspective. Seems to me like they should have held off a few more months and really gone all out on marketing

Iffy to you or them?

While low initial load factors may not excite the average a.netter or travel blog, it does allow a “soft opening” of sorts. A chance to test the model under lower stress and lower risk scenarios. These aren’t just new routes, they are the first flights of a new airline. While it would look good for the press to have standing room only in the gate area, that can be a problem when those people have been standing there for 3 hours waiting on a delay.

There’s a reason most service industry operators open quietly under soft openings. There are always kinks to iron out, and it’s better to have your service failures under low-load.

While it’s not great for the short term, opening slow is better for the long term. A new name, in new markets is always going to be tough. Most network mainline carriers (with great brand recognition) have a 12 month time frame for domestic routes to develop, and 18-36 months for long haul/international markets. Even the big boys don’t except profitable flying on any new market in the first few weeks. Be patient.

You're working awfully hard to rationalize an embarrassing start. What, exactly, is so much harder about carrying 80 people rather than fifteen on a 175-seat 738? If they can't scale check-in, on-board service and baggage handling at 50% on Day 1, they will fail quickly.

The same was said about B6 and even G4. I was one of the naysayers too. Gave both airlines less than 365 days to survive.

I would normally agree, but... The management of this airline has proven me wrong before. The seats will get filled eventually. Yep, it's gotta be the worst time to start an airline..... And it does look dismal. But... The leadership of Avelo and Breeze know something good is going to come of it.

32andBelow

Sat May 08, 2021 5:30 am

F9Animal wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:

Iffy to you or them?

While low initial load factors may not excite the average a.netter or travel blog, it does allow a “soft opening” of sorts. A chance to test the model under lower stress and lower risk scenarios. These aren’t just new routes, they are the first flights of a new airline. While it would look good for the press to have standing room only in the gate area, that can be a problem when those people have been standing there for 3 hours waiting on a delay.

There’s a reason most service industry operators open quietly under soft openings. There are always kinks to iron out, and it’s better to have your service failures under low-load.

While it’s not great for the short term, opening slow is better for the long term. A new name, in new markets is always going to be tough. Most network mainline carriers (with great brand recognition) have a 12 month time frame for domestic routes to develop, and 18-36 months for long haul/international markets. Even the big boys don’t except profitable flying on any new market in the first few weeks. Be patient.

You're working awfully hard to rationalize an embarrassing start. What, exactly, is so much harder about carrying 80 people rather than fifteen on a 175-seat 738? If they can't scale check-in, on-board service and baggage handling at 50% on Day 1, they will fail quickly.

The same was said about B6 and even G4. I was one of the naysayers too. Gave both airlines less than 365 days to survive.

I would normally agree, but... The management of this airline has proven me wrong before. The seats will get filled eventually. Yep, it's gotta be the worst time to start an airline..... And it does look dismal. But... The leadership of Avelo and Breeze know something good is going to come of it.

I don’t understand their sketchy GDS. if they are going to be a player they need to get on a real GDS ASAP.

lightsaber

Sat May 08, 2021 7:01 am

I find the comparisons to Indy air interesting. The difference is the lack of a hub.

Honestly, their issue is awareness. Avelo is, in my social circle, not known among casual flyers. Breeze seems to have done better word of mouth.

I wish them luck, but BUR isn't convenient for myself.

Lightsaber
6 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

caribbeanSwag

Sat May 08, 2021 7:31 am

lightsaber wrote:
I find the comparisons to Indy air interesting. The difference is the lack of a hub.

Honestly, their issue is awareness. Avelo is, in my social circle, not known among casual flyers. Breeze seems to have done better word of mouth.

Lightsaber

Not sure why this matters. Most people who buy tickets aren't airline geeks like us. Most non-airline geeks don't know anything about either of these airlines but will be instantly attracted to the super low fares when they search up flights. Brand recognition happens naturally and fast.

Also not, I'm not sure why you're saying Avelo has a lack of a hub. With 3 airplanes, they're squeezing out as much of a hub system as they possibly can there currently. And they plan on doing the same in New Haven.

Polot

Sat May 08, 2021 10:25 am

caribbeanSwag wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Not sure why this matters. Most people who buy tickets aren't airline geeks like us. Most non-airline geeks don't know anything about either of these airlines but will be instantly attracted to the super low fares when they search up flights. Brand recognition happens naturally and fast.

Also not, I'm not sure why you're saying Avelo has a lack of a hub. With 3 airplanes, they're squeezing out as much of a hub system as they possibly can there currently. And they plan on doing the same in New Haven.

Right now I believe you can only purchase tickets through Avelo and they don’t show up in flight searches (someone correct me if I am wrong). In which case brand awareness (which is slightly different than brand recognition) is very important.

wedgetail737

Sat May 08, 2021 2:42 pm

Polot wrote:
caribbeanSwag wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Right now I believe you can only purchase tickets through Avelo and they don’t show up in flight searches (someone correct me if I am wrong). In which case brand awareness (which is slightly different than brand recognition) is very important.

I think Avelo is trying to get online with Google Travel or something like that.

wedgetail737

Sat May 08, 2021 2:44 pm

caribbeanSwag wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

The intention of an airline hub is to allow for connections as well as O&D. Avelo is only an O&D airline today.

caribbeanSwag

Sat May 08, 2021 2:48 pm

Polot wrote:
caribbeanSwag wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Yes, but that's only starting out. Once they go online, customers will only care about the ticket price.

Boiler905

Mon May 10, 2021 1:29 pm

caribbeanSwag wrote:
drerx7 wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:

I think SGR would be the best bet in Houston outside of IAH and HOU. Even if Ellington added a new facility, its close enough to HOU that it wouldn’t have a good zone. SGR is well positioned on the far west side of Houston where there’s a lot of wealth and high densities of population. Katy-Sugar Land-far west Houston would love having an option without needing to commute long hours for either airport.

Someone mentioned GLS, but this wouldn’t work. GLS could potentially fit a regional flight like AA to DFW or Delta to ATL, that could benefit from the cruise industry. But a base like Avelo I don’t see working.

Someone mentioned BMT and College station. Way too far from Houston to fit the Houston specific market.

Question out of ignorance...

Would the SGR runway width only being 100' be a problem for operating Part 121 737s? It's narrower than the usual 150'
Boiler Up

nws2002

Mon May 10, 2021 2:19 pm

Boiler905 wrote:
caribbeanSwag wrote:
drerx7 wrote:

Would the SGR runway width only being 100' be a problem for operating Part 121 737s? It's narrower than the usual 150'

JQF has service from G4 with only a 100' runway. Obviously it is an A320 and not a B737, but similar aircraft size.

catiii

Wed May 12, 2021 2:24 am

lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Funny in my social circle (Connecticut, HHI, casual flyers) they’re very well known.

flyoregon

Wed May 12, 2021 3:24 am

nws2002 wrote:
Boiler905 wrote:
caribbeanSwag wrote:

JQF has service from G4 with only a 100' runway. Obviously it is an A320 and not a B737, but similar aircraft size.

Dang! 100 foot runway…that’s impressive performance!

F9Animal

Wed May 12, 2021 4:12 am

How can Avelo be compared to Independence Air? There is nothing comparable at all in any way. Avelo does have a massive financial backing, and seems to be pretty legit. IMO, it's not the best ti e to start an airline. But, then again, I have never started an airline before.

Varsity1

Wed May 12, 2021 4:42 am

Old friend rode Avelo last week out of BUR, less than 30 people onboard.

They need to get on the GDS to survive. Their current (lack of) marketing and brand awareness is going to kill them in a Southwest - sell your own tickets model.

wedgetail737

Wed May 12, 2021 4:53 am

Varsity1 wrote:

They need to get on the GDS to survive. Their current (lack of) marketing and brand awareness is going to kill them in a Southwest - sell your own tickets model.

I think they're trying to get on line with Google Travel.

F9Animal

Wed May 12, 2021 5:14 am

Varsity1 wrote:

I would call this a slow start. I honestly want to see them succeed. I always like to cheer on the little guys. Why not? It sure is cool to see a startup that becomes successful. Like JetBlue, I was totally saying when they started they would not last a year. To watch them flourish was awesome.

So, I really do hope Avelo and Breeze prove the nay Sayers wrong. It's also nice to have some completion on markets that I travel to. I wonder if Avelo might want to consider Everett Washington?

TWA772LR

Wed May 12, 2021 6:27 am

caribbeanSwag wrote:
drerx7 wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:

I'd love to see EFD and the other smaller Houston area airports get service but Levy has decent-enough (even if slightly dated) insider info to UAs IAH ops. I'd say he'd make a go for IAH. Terminal A may be tight on gates but D is wide open in the morning and evening. They can even use D1-3 during the European rush. Houston is also expanding rapidly to the north where IAH is the most convenient, and to the west, where driving to HOU and IAH are both comparable.

IAH-PGD/RFD or GRY/AZA/BUR/HVN/OGD can work well.

In general, if they want to jump in to the Denver market, I believe Ft. Collins had G4 service at one point so that's a viable option. Selfishly I'd rather see APA but that's more of a JSX-type of market.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

lightsaber

Wed May 12, 2021 12:55 pm

catiii wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Funny in my social circle (Connecticut, HHI, casual flyers) they’re very well known.

That is good news. I assume the announcement of the New Haven "hub" brought awareness.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericrosen/ ... 3ec781290e

Yet I do not think they are well enough known for people to go to them to book tickets. I'm much less of a fan of the travel sites than I was a decade ago, but they do bring exposure. For example, until I started searching for their name this morning, I didn't even know they flew Burbank to Grand Junction, CO. :hyper:
https://www.gjsentinel.com/news/western ... d5701.html

That motivated me to actually look at their route map which is decent from Burbank.
https://www.aveloair.com/destinations/

I with them luck.

Lightsaber
6 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

slider

Wed May 12, 2021 12:56 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
caribbeanSwag wrote:
drerx7 wrote:

I'd love to see EFD and the other smaller Houston area airports get service but Levy has decent-enough (even if slightly dated) insider info to UAs IAH ops. I'd say he'd make a go for IAH. Terminal A may be tight on gates but D is wide open in the morning and evening. They can even use D1-3 during the European rush. Houston is also expanding rapidly to the north where IAH is the most convenient, and to the west, where driving to HOU and IAH are both comparable.

IAH-PGD/RFD or GRY/AZA/BUR/HVN/OGD can work well.

In general, if they want to jump in to the Denver market, I believe Ft. Collins had G4 service at one point so that's a viable option. Selfishly I'd rather see APA but that's more of a JSX-type of market.

IAH is damn near saturated with LCC and ULCC operations already though, and WN just returned to IAH too.

If Levy were smart, he'd hit EFD or SGR. Different catchment, far easier access, more affordable cost of operations, landing fees, etc.

I remember CO used to offer free parking for the old EFD-IAH shuttle. Avelo would have to market themselves accordingly for Houstonians, though.

Ishrion

Wed May 12, 2021 8:40 pm

Inaugural BUR-EUG flight delayed by nearly 5 hours so far. Currently set to depart at 2:25 PM.

They're saying it was due to a mechanical issue. N802XT taxied out of the gate in BUR this morning and returned minutes later. They're now waiting on a replacement aircraft, which should be N803XT inbound from BZN.

N802XT hadn't flown for three days before today's BUR-EUG flight.

SunsetLimited

Wed May 12, 2021 8:57 pm

New airline overextending itself with a lot of routes and a small fleet... massive delays are bound to happen.

I hope Avelo finds long term success but call me skeptical right now.
Spread hope like fire.

airlinepeanuts

Wed May 12, 2021 8:59 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:
New airline overextending itself with a lot of routes and a small fleet... massive delays are bound to happen.

Isn't that (among many many many other things) what killed California Pacific Air? Or at least was the final nail in the coffin.

catiii

Wed May 12, 2021 11:44 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:

It’s one delay...

nine4nine

Wed May 12, 2021 11:58 pm

catiii wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:

It’s one delay...

Seriously. The sky is falling group always out there with the typical doom and gloom. It’s a new airline with a small fleet. Things like this will happen. They happened to B6 when they were fresh and small, they happened to everyone. And unlike California Pacific as one mentioned, Avelo is very well funded and run by a successful proven chief at the helm.
717, 727-100, 727-200, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 742, 748, 752, 753, 762, 763, 772, 77W, 787-10, DC9, MD80/88/90, DC10, 319, 220-300, 320, 321, 321n, 332, 333, CS100, CRJ200, Q400, E175, E190, ERJ145, EMB120

airlineworker

Thu May 13, 2021 1:27 am

If Aevlo gets the word out in TV ads with HVN to Florida, response will be good, tons of snowbirds in the area.