Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lightsaber

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:54 pm

nine4nine wrote:
Avelo has finally launched a marketing campaign in Southern California. Listening to the radio (KFI AM640) on my commute home the traffic/weather report is now sponsored by Avelo along with a commercial during every commercial break.

About time, they do not seem to have name recognition yet.

Do they have billboards around downtown LA or Burbank? Normally my non-aviation friends talk about travel opportunities. I admit to not being as social as before, but I'm just not hearing anything about Avelo.

Lightsaber
10 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

Chemist

Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:15 pm

I flew WN BUR-PHX a week or so ago and saw the Avelo check in counters. I hope they do well, but it seems like it's going to be a risky effort for some time.

LotsaRunway

Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:45 pm

ASFlyer wrote:
caribbeanSwag wrote:
airboss787 wrote:
Do we know what aircraft are next to be inducted? What are their short to medium term fleet plans?

Current announcements have called for 3 more Boeing 737-800s to support its Burbank hub and potentially offer connecting flights.

For New Haven, 3 737-700s have been announced starting out. All of this is said to be by the end of 2021.

I've read several posts here talking about "connecting flights". Realistically, how does that happen with a schedule that operates only 2x to 3x weekly, and maybe 5 or 6 flights a day into/out of BUR - with only just maybe 2 to 3 flights leaving there at a time. There's not any kind of connecting bank opportunities under the current business plan. For the same reason Allegiant doesn't offer connections I doubt we'll see Avelo offering connections unless they decide to offer daily service on more than STS or AZA flights. I'm still skeptical that Avelo is going to make it at all.

I'll add that connecting opportunities are more limited for HVN than BUR due to geography. HVN is pretty far northeast. Flights sub-daily connecting to Florida at HVN probably aren't going to be very high on people's list, especially once you take away the nonstop appeal. BUR might actually add some Mexico connections some day. Maybe.

CFWAD

Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:58 pm

Part of my concern with Avelo is their future plans. What they are doing right now is fine. Leasing cheap/last generation aircraft and stimulating traffic demand after a once in a century downturn. But was is their plan going forward? What is their fleet plan? What is their route strategy?

DN @ Breeze has at least a reasonable plan and capital to fund going forward. Avelo seems like it will fall by the wayside like Direct Air in the 90's. No clear direction, no solid financial backing or future business plan. Once fuel goes up and travel demand follows - this airline is done. Their best hope is to start filling the charter gap for Military and sport teams.
CaVOK
A300.310.319.320.321.332.333.343.B722.732.733.734.735.736.73G.738.739.742.74M.752.762.763.772.773.779.CR2.CR7.DC9.DC10.DH1.DH3.DH4.E135.E175. E195.MD83

ASFlyer

Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:15 pm

From what we can see of their current business plan they seem very much like Allegiant in that they offer P2P service. Mostly sub-daily flights to thinner markets. HVN isn't going to be a connecting "hub". I imagine you'll see HVN sub daily to certain cities in Florida and a few touristy destinations in the southeast (MYR, MSY, CHS, SAV, etc). Possibly a couple sub daily flights to secondary airports in a couple bigger cities. BUR as an airport isn't even set up to offer connections, and most viable markets are already flown from BUR. HVN has one jetway and two gates with one airline offering a couple flights a day. If it was so ripe for the picking I imagine it would be picked. I wish Avelo all the success, but it's highly unlikely that 20 years from now they'll be a substantial operation that offers a robust schedule of flights all across the U.S. - if they survive their start up at all.

heavymetal

Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:27 pm

CFWAD wrote:
Part of my concern with Avelo is their future plans. What they are doing right now is fine. Leasing cheap/last generation aircraft and stimulating traffic demand after a once in a century downturn. But was is their plan going forward? What is their fleet plan? What is their route strategy?

DN @ Breeze has at least a reasonable plan and capital to fund going forward. Avelo seems like it will fall by the wayside like Direct Air in the 90's. No clear direction, no solid financial backing or future business plan. Once fuel goes up and travel demand follows - this airline is done. Their best hope is to start filling the charter gap for Military and sport teams.

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/ ... up-airline

Where do you get "no solid financial backing"? Avelo raised $125mm from investors, which seems as much or more than Breeze raised.

Also, their plan appears to be every bit as clear as Breeze's, except for maybe the fleet plan, and that's because Breeze has committed to a large orderbook, whereas Avelo appears to be playing the used spot market. From the linked article above:

"Levy’s is focused on shorter-distance routes connecting smaller airports with domestic leisure markets[...]
“We’re going to grow at a measured pace,” said Levy, a co-founder of Allegiant Travel Co., which specializes in leisure travel from smaller markets to vacation destinations such as Florida and Las Vegas. “We’re going to build the company a little bit like Allegiant, slowly and steadily,” [...]
The new airline will make its business from “a small, small niche” of air travelers who are price sensitive and eager to avoid large, congested airports. “But in the U.S. market even a small niche can be a large opportunity,” he said."

Seems that they are executing on the strategy that was laid out over a year ago: smaller, less congested airports (BUR, HVN) to leisure markets, at a relatively slow, measured pace.

airlineworker

Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:18 pm

Still no info on HVN flights.

Wneast

Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:19 pm

airlineworker wrote:
Still no info on HVN flights.

Or plans for further expansion

CairnterriAIR

Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:29 pm

LotsaRunway wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:
caribbeanSwag wrote:

Current announcements have called for 3 more Boeing 737-800s to support its Burbank hub and potentially offer connecting flights.

For New Haven, 3 737-700s have been announced starting out. All of this is said to be by the end of 2021.

I've read several posts here talking about "connecting flights". Realistically, how does that happen with a schedule that operates only 2x to 3x weekly, and maybe 5 or 6 flights a day into/out of BUR - with only just maybe 2 to 3 flights leaving there at a time. There's not any kind of connecting bank opportunities under the current business plan. For the same reason Allegiant doesn't offer connections I doubt we'll see Avelo offering connections unless they decide to offer daily service on more than STS or AZA flights. I'm still skeptical that Avelo is going to make it at all.

I'll add that connecting opportunities are more limited for HVN than BUR due to geography. HVN is pretty far northeast. Flights sub-daily connecting to Florida at HVN probably aren't going to be very high on people's list, especially once you take away the nonstop appeal. BUR might actually add some Mexico connections some day. Maybe.

I don’t think they are going for connecting passengers from New Haven. The market is strong enough to fill flights point to point in leisure markets...Think lots of originating snowbirds and vacationers going to Florida and the Carolinas. I can see them running quick turns between flights in the Summer to Nantucket.

johnboy

Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:03 pm

Was driving back from Eureka and saw a billboard in Mendocino County for Avelo service out of STS.

FlyingSicilian

Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:59 am

While headquarters in business these days mean less than in the past, especially with regards to ops, I'd presume at some point we would see HOU or IAH service since they are based in Houston and growing their corporate office in the Houston area.
Ci sono formiche qui

alohashirts

Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:21 am

FlyingSicilian wrote:
While headquarters in business these days mean less than in the past, especially with regards to ops, I'd presume at some point we would see HOU or IAH service since they are based in Houston and growing their corporate office in the Houston area.

Exactly. BZ is located just outside Salt Lake City. I’m sure BZ will eventually fly out of either SLC or PVU. Also AirTran had its HQ in Orlando but their main hub was ATL.

travelin man

Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:32 am

Spoke to a friend who flew BUR-ACV on Avelo last weekend and she said the plane was packed in both directions. So, it seems like at least some people are hearing about them.

MarkATL

Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:28 am

travelin man wrote:
Spoke to a friend who flew BUR-ACV on Avelo last weekend and she said the plane was packed in both directions. So, it seems like at least some people are hearing about them.

I flew ACV-BUR yesterday. The flight was maybe 60% full. I’ll check back in here on Wednesday when I return to ACV. I want them to survive, at least at ACV. However, 60% at $19 each…..I’m skeptical to say the least.

BTW, great flight, great service from check in to baggage pick up.

PITFlyer330

Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:11 am

MarkATL wrote:
travelin man wrote:

I flew ACV-BUR yesterday. The flight was maybe 60% full. I’ll check back in here on Wednesday when I return to ACV. I want them to survive, at least at ACV. However, 60% at $19 each…..I’m skeptical to say the least.

I was helping some one in my family yesterday book avelo flights to anywhere for a getaway. The acv fares are high compared to other flights. No more $19.
born and raised in PIT. AUS second home. Currently in asia

travelin man

Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:24 am

MarkATL wrote:
travelin man wrote:

She paid $180 r/t (plus a few other fees), so it definitely wasn’t $19. But she said compared to the usual $500/$600 r/t to get up there it was a bargain.

I think Avelo is going to have some success with some of these destinations, including ACV.

wedgetail737

Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:55 am

travelin man wrote:
MarkATL wrote:
travelin man wrote:

She paid $180 r/t (plus a few other fees), so it definitely wasn’t $19. But she said compared to the usual $500/$600 r/t to get up there it was a bargain.

I think Avelo is going to have some success with some of these destinations, including ACV.

New airlines and new routes always take some time to develop. Even though you're talking 60% full, even with $19 fares...at least, it's an attempt to get the word out.

tichydev

Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:57 pm

airlineworker wrote:
nkops wrote:
caribbeanSwag wrote:
It appears that Avelo will host a conference call tomorrow to give broader explanation on their New Haven plans.

Anybody have any details on this call?

Nothing in the local press or the airport web site.

Unfortunately no... I'm an editor/admin at the page Tweed Facts. Avports and the TNHAA have historically been very close lipped about anything. We broke the American CRJ news years ago months ahead of its start. They actually called us begging us to take it down. They didn't announce it themselves until a week or two before the jets arrived. If there was a call the chances they'd let any public or media in were slim. We tried!

Things are getting MUCH better under the new Exec Director. He really has the passion to take this airport where it needs to be and he is much better in the PR department. We're watching every source we possibly can to get the latest news on the Avelo launch.

My Guess is the same as most people on here. The obvious top market is Orlando (MCO/SFB/MLB). New Haven is said to be the largest market in North America without nonstop service to Orlando. I can see that supporting daily if not multiple daily flights. Next Tampa (TPA/PIE) and some South Florida market. There are a ton of second home owners here in the FLL/PBI area. Myself and many close friends and family fly to the PBI area upwards of 5-10 round trips per year. There is also significant GA activity between HVN - FXE.

With a large seaplane and caravan commuter operator (Fly The Whale / formerly Shoreline Aviation) based here they undoubtedly will use any Florida service for shuttling flight crews back and forth in the winter. Flying right out of HVN for them and a few of us in 91 flight departments will save on uber / rental car costs from BDL/PVD/HPN, additional day rates and hotels.

The wild card is seeing what they're willing to do to serve the business demand of HVN. For the past decade New Haven's growing biotech sector has been begging for better service to markets like D.C. and Chicago. It will be interesting to see if Avelo tries to get in on that with service somewhere like BWI or GYY. I have doubts though that a secondary airport in those markets would support the multiple daily flights they would need to be viable to business customers. I think with the increased activity we'd be more likely to see Avelo leave those for American or United who will always have a loyal following in the business travel segment (as it returns post COVID). Right now vacation travel is hot and there is allot of pent up demand in this region for nonstop snowbird options.

wnflyguy

Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:13 pm

HVN sounds like less than daily service to MLB,PIE,FLL,PGD,MYR and SAV.

SWF also seems to be the 3ed focus coming in early 2022.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

tichydev

Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:14 pm

wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

You're very right; It is likely (following BUR) that most destinations will be sub daily and, they will all likely start sub daily. However, I can very easily see at least Orlando going multiple daily and perhaps Either Tampa or Lauderdale area as well. Everyone and their brother does multiple daily flights to the big Florida airports on large narrowbodies from BDL/PVD/HPN. BDL for example has 4 different carriers serving Orlando with multiple daily flights (soon to be 5 with Sun Country) Delta flew BDL-MCO/TPA pre-pandemic as well.

I can easily see HVN supporting Daily + to Orlando, Tampa and Lauderdale/Palm Beach (maybe even BWI if they're willing to break strategy and serve a larger airport). I can see sub daily and seasonal to markets like AUS,BNA,ECP,ILM,JAX,MSY,MYR,PGD,RSW,SAV,VPS etc... Jacksonville has been specifically mentioned in SCASD applications. it would be interesting for sure as there would be no competing service at any local airport. I'm actually very surprised Breeze didn't immediately go for JAX it seems like theres quite a bit more demand there for p2p flying.

airlineworker

Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:07 pm

wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

I remember when G4 started service from ROA to SFB and PIE. SFB twice weekly and PIE once. Later more flights were added so Avelo at HVN will be testing the waters but there are many snowbirds in the metro New Haven area so that daily flights could work. Much of the car traffic on I-91 north is going to BDL, the Avelo service will thin out the traffic somewhat. I would like to see UA with 3-4 daily CRJ-550's to ORD. Back when UA flew 737's to ORD, my flights to HVN were full and gate agents were asking for volunteers to give up their seats. Filling a 50 seat CRJ-550 will be a piece of cake. Much pent up demand around HVN and looking forward to Avelo making travel easier for HVN locals.

heretothere

Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:32 pm

Apologies if I missed it, but what is the plan for Avelo’s BUR operation this fall? Best I can tell, they’re still only selling through Sept 15th. If they plan to extend service, I’d think the sooner the better.

MDGLongBeach

Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:46 pm

It appears as if the $19 introductory fares are gone and the base one-way fare is now $49... I wonder what appeal they have to the general public now that their fares are in the range of larger airlines.. I'm wishing them the best but their biggest draw-in (being the incredibly cheap prices) is no longer.

FLYKTPA

Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:04 pm

MDGLongBeach wrote:
It appears as if the $19 introductory fares are gone and the base one-way fare is now $49... I wonder what appeal they have to the general public now that their fares are in the range of larger airlines.. I'm wishing them the best but their biggest draw-in (being the incredibly cheap prices) is no longer.

The other ULCC’s make $49+ work and thankfully Avelo largely has no nonstop competition.

MavyWavyATR

Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:46 pm

Anyone think Avelo will try to go for some of the former DY/LE 737 MAX-8's down the road?

lesfalls

Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:53 pm

MavyWavyATR wrote:
Anyone think Avelo will try to go for some of the former DY/LE 737 MAX-8's down the road?

With the Max problems still visible do you think they would consider it even?
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

alpine1989

Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:11 am

lesfalls wrote:
MavyWavyATR wrote:

With the Max problems still visible do you think they would consider it even?

What Max problems?

spinkid

Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:23 am

wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

Where did you hear this about SWF?

I would love that. My part of CT (Northern Fairfield County, along the I-84 corridor) still has an easier drive there than to HVN which is back roads to get to so HPN and SWF are still easier to access. HVN is still an amazing choice for them, the main area for HVN is to the south of me.

B6 doesn't seem to have plans to go back to SWF. The terminal there has 6 gates I think. It always seems to be boom or bust there. Skybus got things very busy, but then it went quiet again, Allegiant came, and left, but came back again, along with B6 and finally Norwegian. Along with the hub connections it was quite busy............Allegiant seems committed for now, but there is potential for more.

Wneast

Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:23 am

Well to me it looks like AZA,BZN,GTJ dropped from what I see on there website ?

MavyWavyATR

Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:39 am

Wneast wrote:

They're still on their website, but it looks like they may pull the plug on those places according to this FlightGlobal article.

Wneast

Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:40 am

MavyWavyATR wrote:
Wneast wrote:

They're still on their website, but it looks like they may pull the plug on those places according to this FlightGlobal article.

Yes they still are then but starting they don’t go past September. I wonder what we see them do in Arizona if they can’t succeed at AZA they wouldn’t go to PHX I don’t think

Wneast

Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:28 am

New routes coming what we think they may be ?

sfojvjets

Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:27 am

Wneast wrote:

Definitely hoping for MRY. But I don't know, since they might need a -700 for that...

Otherwise I think TUS/COS/BOI/ELP/SAT/ABQ etc could all work well. All have no competition from BUR and are logical next moves. Surprised they didn't add any of these in the first round. Any other intra-California seems difficult to execute, with cutthroat WN competition. That seems to put SJC/OAK/SMF out of the question which is a shame. RNO would have been a nice add but WN's got that locked up as well.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=bur-sts%2F ... =wls&DU=mi

^ map of current routes (excluding cuts) plus some additions that make sense to me

Wneast

Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:34 am

sfojvjets wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Definitely hoping for MRY. But I don't know, since they might need a -700 for that...

Otherwise I think TUS/COS/BOI/ELP/SAT/ABQ etc could all work well. All have no competition from BUR and are logical next moves. Surprised they didn't add any of these in the first round. Any other intra-California seems difficult to execute, with cutthroat WN competition. That seems to put SJC/OAK/SMF out of the question which is a shame. RNO would have been a nice add but WN's got that locked up as well.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=bur-sts%2F ... =wls&DU=mi

^ map of current routes (excluding cuts) plus some additions that make sense to me

All seem reasonable adds a lot of the adds now could potentially face a response from WN in my opinion

MavyWavyATR

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:30 am

Wneast wrote:

Wouldn't be surprised if they look into maybe HSH (most likely alternate for LAS), COS, SEA or PAE, and maybe JAC.

Wneast

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:35 am

MavyWavyATR wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Wouldn't be surprised if they look into maybe HSH (most likely alternate for LAS), COS, SEA or PAE, and maybe JAC.

I could see JAC,COS and maybe SEA. I most likely think they would have to go to LAS because as we can tell places like GTJ and AZA didn’t work out because those aren’t really secondary airports that a lot people will go to for avelo

jjbiv

Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:39 pm

MavyWavyATR wrote:
Wneast wrote:

HSH? Do you mean HND (Henderson Executive Airport) or something else? Do they even have facilities for scheduled air carrier flights there?

airlinepeanuts

Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:44 pm

BFI? :stirthepot:

SXDFC

Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:53 pm

I am not sure how to post pictures on here but I saw a picture of N921WN in Avelo colors. Sorry if this was mentioned before.

nine4nine

Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:36 pm

I’m sure BZN will return as seasonal spring/summer only service for the national park visitors.

As mentioned above places like COS, ABQ, TUS, BOI, PAE, SAT and ELP would be some great adds without competition! Hope they shift their focus to some of those more demandable markets.
717, 727-100, 727-200, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 742, 748, 752, 753, 762, 763, 772, 77W, 787-10, DC9, MD80/88/90, DC10, 319, 220-300, 320, 321, 321n, 332, 333, CS100, CRJ200, Q400, E175, E190, ERJ145, EMB120

Newark727

Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:39 pm

SXDFC wrote:
I am not sure how to post pictures on here but I saw a picture of N921WN in Avelo colors. Sorry if this was mentioned before.

There were two 737s in Avelo colors parked at SBD the last time I was there. Maybe waiting for their second base to open up?

floridaflyboy

Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:42 pm

jjbiv wrote:
MavyWavyATR wrote:
Wneast wrote:

HSH? Do you mean HND (Henderson Executive Airport) or something else? Do they even have facilities for scheduled air carrier flights there?

HSH is the IATA code for Henderson Executive....
Good goes around!

MavyWavyATR

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:12 pm

SXDFC wrote:

Gotcha covered; here's a tweet showcasing N921WN in Avelo paint.

jmc1975

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:22 pm

Wneast wrote:
MavyWavyATR wrote:
Wneast wrote:

I could see JAC,COS and maybe SEA. I most likely think they would have to go to LAS because as we can tell places like GTJ and AZA didn’t work out because those aren’t really secondary airports that a lot people will go to for avelo

JAC would need a -700.

How about FNL as a potential market? It would capture some Denver area traffic and would be a gateway to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park.

Wneast

Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:39 am

Looks like they might be entering LAS don’t think that will go well

sprxUSA

Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:44 am

What makes you say they might be going to LAS?
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

Wneast

Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:46 am

sprxUSA wrote:
What makes you say they might be going to LAS?

Someone told me they picked up the contract for avelo to start there

DaCubbyBearBar

Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:15 am

MavyWavyATR wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Not sure if HSH is setup for commercial service?? Parking lot of 750 spaces, TSA screening, and equipment. Bagroom, holding area, ticket counter, etc
I am me and no one else...so my opinions are mine

Wneast

Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:18 am

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
MavyWavyATR wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Not sure if HSH is setup for commercial service?? Parking lot of 750 spaces, TSA screening, and equipment. Bagroom, holding area, ticket counter, etc

Well there going to LAS so it won’t matter

jjbiv

Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:52 am

floridaflyboy wrote:
jjbiv wrote:
MavyWavyATR wrote:

HSH is the IATA code for Henderson Executive....

It would be helpful to use the full name or at least the name of the city for non-commonly used secondary airports. Especially when ICAO/FAA and IATA codes for a US airport are different.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos