Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Flflyer83
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:40 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:56 am

And they’re pulling out of BZM and GJT… already. Didn’t take long.
 
32andBelow
Posts: 5649
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:04 am

They need to get on some Amazon contracts immediately
 
USTraveler
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:37 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:37 am

Taking them from Burbank to Ogden, Utah and back in August. Great price and convenient times for me.

The same nay-sayers said JetBlue was going to go out of business.
 
User avatar
DalDC9Bos
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:54 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:42 am

‘If’ they were to launch Houston flights, I’d guess they would choose HOU over IAH. What do y’all think? Their corporate headquarters are located within the loop and their operating model seems more of a fit at Hobby.

Does Hobby have any gate space right now? I don't see Southwest sharing. If not, does it have any hard stands or space for hard stands available for boarding/deplaning? I could see Avelo willing to do that.
 
Wneast
Posts: 974
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:37 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:50 am

DalDC9Bos wrote:
‘If’ they were to launch Houston flights, I’d guess they would choose HOU over IAH. What do y’all think? Their corporate headquarters are located within the loop and their operating model seems more of a fit at Hobby.

Does Hobby have any gate space right now? I don't see Southwest sharing. If not, does it have any hard stands or space for hard stands available for boarding/deplaning? I could see Avelo willing to do that.

I really don’t think there is any space at Hobby hence the reason WN expanded to IAH... and I don’t know why is HOU restricted to more gates ?
 
BangersAndMash
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:21 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:28 am

Wneast wrote:
DalDC9Bos wrote:
‘If’ they were to launch Houston flights, I’d guess they would choose HOU over IAH. What do y’all think? Their corporate headquarters are located within the loop and their operating model seems more of a fit at Hobby.

Does Hobby have any gate space right now? I don't see Southwest sharing. If not, does it have any hard stands or space for hard stands available for boarding/deplaning? I could see Avelo willing to do that.

I really don’t think there is any space at Hobby hence the reason WN expanded to IAH... and I don’t know why is HOU restricted to more gates ?


Even if they did find gates or hardstands, what would be the point of an operation with basically no growth prospects? It's not like WN is going to shrink, wither and die, is it.
 
caribbeanSwag
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:30 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:11 pm

DalDC9Bos wrote:
‘If’ they were to launch Houston flights, I’d guess they would choose HOU over IAH. What do y’all think? Their corporate headquarters are located within the loop and their operating model seems more of a fit at Hobby.

Does Hobby have any gate space right now? I don't see Southwest sharing. If not, does it have any hard stands or space for hard stands available for boarding/deplaning? I could see Avelo willing to do that.


It’s actually not within the loop. That Westheimer address is just a mailing address. Avelo’s Houston headquarters is in San Felipe Plaza close to the Galleria. That’s where most of their employees are. With that position, they aren’t much closer to one or the other.
 
nine4nine
Posts: 800
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:44 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:45 pm

Wasn’t there supposed to be an announcement of new/additional BUR routes as well as the launch routes for the HVN base yesterday?
 
FlyingMSY
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:06 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:11 pm

caribbeanSwag wrote:
2 of the new Boeing 737-700s are coming from Southwest. The last, I can’t see. And they’re all around 13 years old.



According to planespotters.net, all three will be from WN. N905WN, N916WN, and N921WN.
On a personal note, 921 was my first nonstop to OAK 6 years ago... Glad it found a new home.
 
Flflyer83
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:40 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:37 pm

Wneast wrote:
DalDC9Bos wrote:
‘If’ they were to launch Houston flights, I’d guess they would choose HOU over IAH. What do y’all think? Their corporate headquarters are located within the loop and their operating model seems more of a fit at Hobby.

Does Hobby have any gate space right now? I don't see Southwest sharing. If not, does it have any hard stands or space for hard stands available for boarding/deplaning? I could see Avelo willing to do that.

I really don’t think there is any space at Hobby hence the reason WN expanded to IAH... and I don’t know why is HOU restricted to more gates ?


Yes. HOU has space. WN expanded at IAH because there has been so much growth north of I-10 with the completion of hwy 99 and the expansion of 249, that it was almost a must to continue to hold on to the market share that they do have in Houston. I believe 26-32 are all used be other airlines (DL, AA, G4). B6 packed up and move up to IAH.
 
altairF28
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:41 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:46 pm

nine4nine wrote:
Wasn’t there supposed to be an announcement of new/additional BUR routes as well as the launch routes for the HVN base yesterday?

Yes, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that......... Given that we're over halfway thru the first month of Q3, which is when the HVN base was supposed to start I think we can conclude that the announcemens of both that base and BUR expansion were smoke and mirrors. Move along, nothing to see here.
 
SBAer
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:34 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:51 pm

Flflyer83 wrote:
And they’re pulling out of BZM and GJT… already. Didn’t take long.


I read a comment somewhere that said mostly because summer is over and visits to national parks (BZN: Yellowstone/Grand Teton & GJT: Arches/Canyonlands/Mesa Verde) will drop substantially roughly the same time they stop service. Didn't commit to seasonal service, but hinted they would reevaluate in the future.
 
caribbeanSwag
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:30 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:13 pm

altairF28 wrote:
nine4nine wrote:
Wasn’t there supposed to be an announcement of new/additional BUR routes as well as the launch routes for the HVN base yesterday?

Yes, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that......... Given that we're over halfway thru the first month of Q3, which is when the HVN base was supposed to start I think we can conclude that the announcemens of both that base and BUR expansion were smoke and mirrors. Move along, nothing to see here.


Their new fleet is already delivered, so this is incorrect.
 
Wneast
Posts: 974
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:37 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:32 pm

Flflyer83 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
DalDC9Bos wrote:
‘If’ they were to launch Houston flights, I’d guess they would choose HOU over IAH. What do y’all think? Their corporate headquarters are located within the loop and their operating model seems more of a fit at Hobby.

Does Hobby have any gate space right now? I don't see Southwest sharing. If not, does it have any hard stands or space for hard stands available for boarding/deplaning? I could see Avelo willing to do that.

I really don’t think there is any space at Hobby hence the reason WN expanded to IAH... and I don’t know why is HOU restricted to more gates ?


Yes. HOU has space. WN expanded at IAH because there has been so much growth north of I-10 with the completion of hwy 99 and the expansion of 249, that it was almost a must to continue to hold on to the market share that they do have in Houston. I believe 26-32 are all used be other airlines (DL, AA, G4). B6 packed up and move up to IAH.

Gates 26-32 there is only 30 ? And I’m pretty sure G4 uses 2 gates that are there’s and I don’t really think any airline even has more then a couple flights of there. Even if there were maybe some room it would be for a couple flights why would they want to go there when the couldn’t grow
 
TerminalD
Posts: 422
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:32 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:18 pm

nine4nine wrote:
Wasn’t there supposed to be an announcement of new/additional BUR routes as well as the launch routes for the HVN base yesterday?

It is known that there is a significant delay. The speculation is that it is something related to the FAA oversight of a new scheduled airline (Predecessor entity was not operating scheduled), but we don’t really know. The HVN planes are ready it appears, and having them sit is expensive. So pretty much has to be a regulatory delay. It seems like Avelo is operating more reliably than Breeze ironically.
 
caribbeanSwag
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:30 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:16 am

TerminalD wrote:
nine4nine wrote:
Wasn’t there supposed to be an announcement of new/additional BUR routes as well as the launch routes for the HVN base yesterday?

It is known that there is a significant delay. The speculation is that it is something related to the FAA oversight of a new scheduled airline (Predecessor entity was not operating scheduled), but we don’t really know. The HVN planes are ready it appears, and having them sit is expensive. So pretty much has to be a regulatory delay. It seems like Avelo is operating more reliably than Breeze ironically.


Ima be honest and say it’s not ironic at all. Rarely anything in Breeze makes any sense at all. Avelo sure has it’s question marks but Breeze makes me sit here and think “wtf are they doing” in many cases.

First of all, as it was stated above, too much marketing starting out isn’t a good thing. Both airlines are pretty small right now and Breeze was advertising it’s brand long before 2020. Avelo waited it out which makes much more sense in the long run. Breeze is over marketing itself for an airline with so little routes and the marketing doesn’t seem to be hanging on. All they did was let the world know how small they are. On the other hand, Avelo is marketing just enough and will grow as time passes.

Second, this “we are more like a tech company that happens to fly airplanes” doesn’t make any sense. You have an app? So I guess Avelo, United, etc must be tech companies too.

To me, it seems like Breeze is surprising how slow they’re growing while Avelo is surprising how fast they are since it seemed like they were doing it opposite. Yes, HVN and BUR expansions haven’t been announced but their planes are delivered so as soon as they are, this will be the case.

I’m not even going to tap into the business models. Breeze operates in real mid sized cities while Avelo does secondary airports in large markets (essentially the Ryanair model once connecting flights commence). Both of these make sense, so on this one I call it a tie.
 
JustJet
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:58 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:45 pm

To me, it seems like Breeze is surprising how slow they’re growing while Avelo is surprising how fast they are since it seemed like they were doing it opposite. Yes, HVN and BUR expansions haven’t been announced but their planes are delivered so as soon as they are, this will be the case.


When Breeze announced its initial network, it revealed 39 routes across 16 airports.
 
TerminalD
Posts: 422
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:32 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:48 pm

caribbeanSwag wrote:
TerminalD wrote:
nine4nine wrote:
Wasn’t there supposed to be an announcement of new/additional BUR routes as well as the launch routes for the HVN base yesterday?

It is known that there is a significant delay. The speculation is that it is something related to the FAA oversight of a new scheduled airline (Predecessor entity was not operating scheduled), but we don’t really know. The HVN planes are ready it appears, and having them sit is expensive. So pretty much has to be a regulatory delay. It seems like Avelo is operating more reliably than Breeze ironically.


Ima be honest and say it’s not ironic at all. Rarely anything in Breeze makes any sense at all. Avelo sure has it’s question marks but Breeze makes me sit here and think “wtf are they doing” in many cases.

First of all, as it was stated above, too much marketing starting out isn’t a good thing. Both airlines are pretty small right now and Breeze was advertising it’s brand long before 2020. Avelo waited it out which makes much more sense in the long run. Breeze is over marketing itself for an airline with so little routes and the marketing doesn’t seem to be hanging on. All they did was let the world know how small they are. On the other hand, Avelo is marketing just enough and will grow as time passes.

Second, this “we are more like a tech company that happens to fly airplanes” doesn’t make any sense. You have an app? So I guess Avelo, United, etc must be tech companies too.

To me, it seems like Breeze is surprising how slow they’re growing while Avelo is surprising how fast they are since it seemed like they were doing it opposite. Yes, HVN and BUR expansions haven’t been announced but their planes are delivered so as soon as they are, this will be the case.

I’m not even going to tap into the business models. Breeze operates in real mid sized cities while Avelo does secondary airports in large markets (essentially the Ryanair model once connecting flights commence). Both of these make sense, so on this one I call it a tie.

I agree Avelo seems like the better model so far. Not sure the FAA agrees!
 
caribbeanSwag
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:30 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:18 am

TerminalD wrote:
caribbeanSwag wrote:
TerminalD wrote:
It is known that there is a significant delay. The speculation is that it is something related to the FAA oversight of a new scheduled airline (Predecessor entity was not operating scheduled), but we don’t really know. The HVN planes are ready it appears, and having them sit is expensive. So pretty much has to be a regulatory delay. It seems like Avelo is operating more reliably than Breeze ironically.


Ima be honest and say it’s not ironic at all. Rarely anything in Breeze makes any sense at all. Avelo sure has it’s question marks but Breeze makes me sit here and think “wtf are they doing” in many cases.

First of all, as it was stated above, too much marketing starting out isn’t a good thing. Both airlines are pretty small right now and Breeze was advertising it’s brand long before 2020. Avelo waited it out which makes much more sense in the long run. Breeze is over marketing itself for an airline with so little routes and the marketing doesn’t seem to be hanging on. All they did was let the world know how small they are. On the other hand, Avelo is marketing just enough and will grow as time passes.

Second, this “we are more like a tech company that happens to fly airplanes” doesn’t make any sense. You have an app? So I guess Avelo, United, etc must be tech companies too.

To me, it seems like Breeze is surprising how slow they’re growing while Avelo is surprising how fast they are since it seemed like they were doing it opposite. Yes, HVN and BUR expansions haven’t been announced but their planes are delivered so as soon as they are, this will be the case.

I’m not even going to tap into the business models. Breeze operates in real mid sized cities while Avelo does secondary airports in large markets (essentially the Ryanair model once connecting flights commence). Both of these make sense, so on this one I call it a tie.

I agree Avelo seems like the better model so far. Not sure the FAA agrees!


It’s not really the model that makes me lean towards Avelo though. Both models seem like gold if done properly. Breeze being mid sized markets while Avelo is secondary airports in large markets. Where my critique lies in Breeze is their over marketing while being so small. This puts people off. For example under Avelo’s more passive marketing model, the HVN delay doesn’t hit as much. But we’re Breeze to make a Q3 promise people may instantly begin the

And ironically, Avelo seems to be ready to grow. As long as the growth is smartly, I see success.
 
F27500
Posts: 971
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:05 am

TerminalD wrote:
nine4nine wrote:
Wasn’t there supposed to be an announcement of new/additional BUR routes as well as the launch routes for the HVN base yesterday?

It is known that there is a significant delay. The speculation is that it is something related to the FAA oversight of a new scheduled airline (Predecessor entity was not operating scheduled), but we don’t really know. The HVN planes are ready it appears, and having them sit is expensive. So pretty much has to be a regulatory delay. It seems like Avelo is operating more reliably than Breeze ironically.



If this is the case, I do wish they would make some kind of an announcement. We have heard literally -zero- from Avelo here in New Haven since their initial announcement back on May 6. They got us all fired up , we've seen the PDF plans of the interim operations plan at HVN (modular facilities added to the existing small terminal building to enable operations to start long before the completion of the new terminal building to be built across the field).

I drove by the airport this past week and see no signs of anything starting re: modifications. Avelo does need to let folks know whats happening other than the standard P.R. BS response of "we expect to announce our HVN routes very soon". Its been 2.5 months .. start talkin, Avelo!
 
airlineworker
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:20 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:07 pm

F27500 wrote:
TerminalD wrote:
nine4nine wrote:
Wasn’t there supposed to be an announcement of new/additional BUR routes as well as the launch routes for the HVN base yesterday?

It is known that there is a significant delay. The speculation is that it is something related to the FAA oversight of a new scheduled airline (Predecessor entity was not operating scheduled), but we don’t really know. The HVN planes are ready it appears, and having them sit is expensive. So pretty much has to be a regulatory delay. It seems like Avelo is operating more reliably than Breeze ironically.



If this is the case, I do wish they would make some kind of an announcement. We have heard literally -zero- from Avelo here in New Haven since their initial announcement back on May 6. They got us all fired up , we've seen the PDF plans of the interim operations plan at HVN (modular facilities added to the existing small terminal building to enable operations to start long before the completion of the new terminal building to be built across the field).

I drove by the airport this past week and see no signs of anything starting re: modifications. Avelo does need to let folks know whats happening other than the standard P.R. BS response of "we expect to announce our HVN routes very soon". Its been 2.5 months .. start talkin, Avelo!


Amen, hopefully this week we will find out the cities to be served. It was supposed to be revealed in early July. AA still shows service ending by the end of September, kind of a shame as I have not been able to non-rev for weeks. Maybe UA will fill the gap.
 
nkops
Posts: 2289
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:09 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:21 pm

airlineworker wrote:
F27500 wrote:
TerminalD wrote:
It is known that there is a significant delay. The speculation is that it is something related to the FAA oversight of a new scheduled airline (Predecessor entity was not operating scheduled), but we don’t really know. The HVN planes are ready it appears, and having them sit is expensive. So pretty much has to be a regulatory delay. It seems like Avelo is operating more reliably than Breeze ironically.



If this is the case, I do wish they would make some kind of an announcement. We have heard literally -zero- from Avelo here in New Haven since their initial announcement back on May 6. They got us all fired up , we've seen the PDF plans of the interim operations plan at HVN (modular facilities added to the existing small terminal building to enable operations to start long before the completion of the new terminal building to be built across the field).

I drove by the airport this past week and see no signs of anything starting re: modifications. Avelo does need to let folks know whats happening other than the standard P.R. BS response of "we expect to announce our HVN routes very soon". Its been 2.5 months .. start talkin, Avelo!


Amen, hopefully this week we will find out the cities to be served. It was supposed to be revealed in early July. AA still shows service ending by the end of September, kind of a shame as I have not been able to non-rev for weeks. Maybe UA will fill the gap.


Does AA leaving have anything to do with the airports deal with Avelo, or was this pre-planned?
 
caribbeanSwag
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:30 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:57 pm

BIG NEWS: ExxonMobil chosen as Avelo’s exclusive lubricants provider. Now let’s hope for more huge news this week.
 
F27500
Posts: 971
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:01 pm

nkops wrote:
airlineworker wrote:
F27500 wrote:


If this is the case, I do wish they would make some kind of an announcement. We have heard literally -zero- from Avelo here in New Haven since their initial announcement back on May 6. They got us all fired up , we've seen the PDF plans of the interim operations plan at HVN (modular facilities added to the existing small terminal building to enable operations to start long before the completion of the new terminal building to be built across the field).

I drove by the airport this past week and see no signs of anything starting re: modifications. Avelo does need to let folks know whats happening other than the standard P.R. BS response of "we expect to announce our HVN routes very soon". Its been 2.5 months .. start talkin, Avelo!


Amen, hopefully this week we will find out the cities to be served. It was supposed to be revealed in early July. AA still shows service ending by the end of September, kind of a shame as I have not been able to non-rev for weeks. Maybe UA will fill the gap.


Does AA leaving have anything to do with the airports deal with Avelo, or was this pre-planned?


It was pre-planned. AA Eagle (Republic) had already discontinued service at HVN once last year "due to Covid". But my understanding is that apparently in order to get at that next round of grant money, they had to reinstate service to cities they'd dropped (like HVN). But they went back in grudgingly with one poorly timed evening departure 4x per week to PHL with little to no connecting flight opportunities based on its late arrival at the hub). They've since moved it earlier, but still its a very obvious contractual obligation kind of operation/schedule they have here now, unfortunately. Sad too because pre-Covid, they were running 2 nonstops each day HVN-CLT in the EMB175. Shame they don't want to put any effort into a long-time station (US) like HVN.

Service appears to drop completely now at the end of Sept. Sad to see. Avelo will be great (if it actually happens .. and I'm starting to wonder myself now) ... but a legacy link is good for the credibility of an airport too. Perhaps if Avelo is a success here .. and if/when the new terminal is built .. replacing the embarrassing dump of a terminal we have now, AA and perhaps the UAs, DLs and WNs will have another look @ HVN.
 
airlineworker
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:20 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:57 pm

F27500 wrote:
nkops wrote:
airlineworker wrote:

Amen, hopefully this week we will find out the cities to be served. It was supposed to be revealed in early July. AA still shows service ending by the end of September, kind of a shame as I have not been able to non-rev for weeks. Maybe UA will fill the gap.


Does AA leaving have anything to do with the airports deal with Avelo, or was this pre-planned?


It was pre-planned. AA Eagle (Republic) had already discontinued service at HVN once last year "due to Covid". But my understanding is that apparently in order to get at that next round of grant money, they had to reinstate service to cities they'd dropped (like HVN). But they went back in grudgingly with one poorly timed evening departure 4x per week to PHL with little to no connecting flight opportunities based on its late arrival at the hub). They've since moved it earlier, but still its a very obvious contractual obligation kind of operation/schedule they have here now, unfortunately. Sad too because pre-Covid, they were running 2 nonstops each day HVN-CLT in the EMB175. Shame they don't want to put any effort into a long-time station (US) like HVN.

Service appears to drop completely now at the end of Sept. Sad to see. Avelo will be great (if it actually happens .. and I'm starting to wonder myself now) ... but a legacy link is good for the credibility of an airport too. Perhaps if Avelo is a success here .. and if/when the new terminal is built .. replacing the embarrassing dump of a terminal we have now, AA and perhaps the UAs, DLs and WNs will have another look @ HVN.


The 2 HVN-CLT flights were announced in July 2020 to start in September. Never happened. The PHL flights are well supported, I have not been able to snag a non-rev seat in the last 2 months. Avelo is late in announcing the cities they will serve at HVN, getting off to a bad start. I am hoping that Avelo will do well and attract either UA with CRJ-550's to ORD or DL with E-175's to ATL. Tremendous unserved market at HVN and with the flight path cleared of trees and soon the displaced threshold on runway 20 will be moved back, runway 2-20 will be in the best shape it has ever been. DL with the A-220-100 would be a great fit if the ATL flights do well on the E-175.BDL has fought HVN for years as much of their market is from the shoreline area. Hopefully this week Avelo will reveal the new cities and frequencies.
 
caribbeanSwag
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:30 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:33 pm

airlineworker wrote:
F27500 wrote:
nkops wrote:

Does AA leaving have anything to do with the airports deal with Avelo, or was this pre-planned?


It was pre-planned. AA Eagle (Republic) had already discontinued service at HVN once last year "due to Covid". But my understanding is that apparently in order to get at that next round of grant money, they had to reinstate service to cities they'd dropped (like HVN). But they went back in grudgingly with one poorly timed evening departure 4x per week to PHL with little to no connecting flight opportunities based on its late arrival at the hub). They've since moved it earlier, but still its a very obvious contractual obligation kind of operation/schedule they have here now, unfortunately. Sad too because pre-Covid, they were running 2 nonstops each day HVN-CLT in the EMB175. Shame they don't want to put any effort into a long-time station (US) like HVN.

Service appears to drop completely now at the end of Sept. Sad to see. Avelo will be great (if it actually happens .. and I'm starting to wonder myself now) ... but a legacy link is good for the credibility of an airport too. Perhaps if Avelo is a success here .. and if/when the new terminal is built .. replacing the embarrassing dump of a terminal we have now, AA and perhaps the UAs, DLs and WNs will have another look @ HVN.


The 2 HVN-CLT flights were announced in July 2020 to start in September. Never happened. The PHL flights are well supported, I have not been able to snag a non-rev seat in the last 2 months. Avelo is late in announcing the cities they will serve at HVN, getting off to a bad start. I am hoping that Avelo will do well and attract either UA with CRJ-550's to ORD or DL with E-175's to ATL. Tremendous unserved market at HVN and with the flight path cleared of trees and soon the displaced threshold on runway 20 will be moved back, runway 2-20 will be in the best shape it has ever been. DL with the A-220-100 would be a great fit if the ATL flights do well on the E-175.BDL has fought HVN for years as much of their market is from the shoreline area. Hopefully this week Avelo will reveal the new cities and frequencies.


How well do you see HVN potentially attracting some further NYC suburbs such as Long Island?
 
WNflyer1523
Posts: 300
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:28 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:37 pm

caribbeanSwag wrote:
airlineworker wrote:
F27500 wrote:

It was pre-planned. AA Eagle (Republic) had already discontinued service at HVN once last year "due to Covid". But my understanding is that apparently in order to get at that next round of grant money, they had to reinstate service to cities they'd dropped (like HVN). But they went back in grudgingly with one poorly timed evening departure 4x per week to PHL with little to no connecting flight opportunities based on its late arrival at the hub). They've since moved it earlier, but still its a very obvious contractual obligation kind of operation/schedule they have here now, unfortunately. Sad too because pre-Covid, they were running 2 nonstops each day HVN-CLT in the EMB175. Shame they don't want to put any effort into a long-time station (US) like HVN.

Service appears to drop completely now at the end of Sept. Sad to see. Avelo will be great (if it actually happens .. and I'm starting to wonder myself now) ... but a legacy link is good for the credibility of an airport too. Perhaps if Avelo is a success here .. and if/when the new terminal is built .. replacing the embarrassing dump of a terminal we have now, AA and perhaps the UAs, DLs and WNs will have another look @ HVN.


The 2 HVN-CLT flights were announced in July 2020 to start in September. Never happened. The PHL flights are well supported, I have not been able to snag a non-rev seat in the last 2 months. Avelo is late in announcing the cities they will serve at HVN, getting off to a bad start. I am hoping that Avelo will do well and attract either UA with CRJ-550's to ORD or DL with E-175's to ATL. Tremendous unserved market at HVN and with the flight path cleared of trees and soon the displaced threshold on runway 20 will be moved back, runway 2-20 will be in the best shape it has ever been. DL with the A-220-100 would be a great fit if the ATL flights do well on the E-175.BDL has fought HVN for years as much of their market is from the shoreline area. Hopefully this week Avelo will reveal the new cities and frequencies.


How well do you see HVN potentially attracting some further NYC suburbs such as Long Island?


Not a chance. NYC (mainly LGA) already has good LCC presence for those on western LI. For central and eastern LI, ISP has them covered with frontier and WN. Chances are Avelo will go to the same destinations they do.
 
WNflyer1523
Posts: 300
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:28 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:41 pm

For HVN I’m thinking:

Orlando (MCO or SFB): daily
Tampa (TPA or PIE): daily
FLL: 4x weekly
PBI: 4x weekly
RSW: 4x weekly

Wildcard: MIA 3x weekly. In the Spring I could also see places like ATL and MYR come on
 
F27500
Posts: 971
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:45 pm

WNflyer1523 wrote:
For HVN I’m thinking:

Orlando (MCO or SFB): daily
Tampa (TPA or PIE): daily
FLL: 4x weekly
PBI: 4x weekly
RSW: 4x weekly



I very much like your way of thinking! And I agree. Florida service will be the mainstay .. along with maybe a MYR weekend or seasonal service. I do think a nonstop to LAS would do well here too .. IF .. the runway length makes it possible for the 737-700 to do an almost-transcon from HVN.
 
uconn99
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:52 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:46 pm

airlineworker wrote:
F27500 wrote:
nkops wrote:

Does AA leaving have anything to do with the airports deal with Avelo, or was this pre-planned?


It was pre-planned. AA Eagle (Republic) had already discontinued service at HVN once last year "due to Covid". But my understanding is that apparently in order to get at that next round of grant money, they had to reinstate service to cities they'd dropped (like HVN). But they went back in grudgingly with one poorly timed evening departure 4x per week to PHL with little to no connecting flight opportunities based on its late arrival at the hub). They've since moved it earlier, but still its a very obvious contractual obligation kind of operation/schedule they have here now, unfortunately. Sad too because pre-Covid, they were running 2 nonstops each day HVN-CLT in the EMB175. Shame they don't want to put any effort into a long-time station (US) like HVN.

Service appears to drop completely now at the end of Sept. Sad to see. Avelo will be great (if it actually happens .. and I'm starting to wonder myself now) ... but a legacy link is good for the credibility of an airport too. Perhaps if Avelo is a success here .. and if/when the new terminal is built .. replacing the embarrassing dump of a terminal we have now, AA and perhaps the UAs, DLs and WNs will have another look @ HVN.


The 2 HVN-CLT flights were announced in July 2020 to start in September. Never happened. The PHL flights are well supported, I have not been able to snag a non-rev seat in the last 2 months. Avelo is late in announcing the cities they will serve at HVN, getting off to a bad start. I am hoping that Avelo will do well and attract either UA with CRJ-550's to ORD or DL with E-175's to ATL. Tremendous unserved market at HVN and with the flight path cleared of trees and soon the displaced threshold on runway 20 will be moved back, runway 2-20 will be in the best shape it has ever been. DL with the A-220-100 would be a great fit if the ATL flights do well on the E-175.BDL has fought HVN for years as much of their market is from the shoreline area. Hopefully this week Avelo will reveal the new cities and frequencies.


Where do you get much of the BDL market is from the shoreline? The city of New Haven and much of the county isn't even part of the BDL core catchment area which accounts for over 67% of passengers domestically and 79% internationally. From New Haven east along the shore line, while there are multiple towns, most don't break 20,000 people and the further east you go along 95 the more bleed you have into PVD's catchment area.

Image

source: https://bradleyairport.com/wp-content/u ... n-Full.pdf
Last edited by uconn99 on Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
WNflyer1523
Posts: 300
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:28 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:57 pm

F27500 wrote:
WNflyer1523 wrote:
For HVN I’m thinking:

Orlando (MCO or SFB): daily
Tampa (TPA or PIE): daily
FLL: 4x weekly
PBI: 4x weekly
RSW: 4x weekly



I very much like your way of thinking! And I agree. Florida service will be the mainstay .. along with maybe a MYR weekend or seasonal service. I do think a nonstop to LAS would do well here too .. IF .. the runway length makes it possible for the 737-700 to do an almost-transcon from HVN.


Yea, MYR would be spring-fall seasonal a couple times a week. I could see LAS as well on a less than daily basis if they extend the runway
 
jplatts
Posts: 4722
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:04 pm

uconn99 wrote:
Image


Parts of the BDL core area highlighted in red (including southern VT and parts of northwestern MA) are actually closer to ALB than to BDL.

Both ALB and BDL also have AA nonstop service to CLT/ORD/PHL/DCA, DL nonstop service to ATL/DTW, UA nonstop service to ORD/IAD, and WN nonstop service to BWI/MDW/DEN/MCO/TPA.

BDL has nonstop service to more markets than ALB does, and there are a few airlines such as MX, NK, and SY that currently serve BDL but not ALB.
 
MDGLongBeach
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:03 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:22 am

theres an Avelo 738 flying into LGB tonight from MFE... is this a military charter? or maybe a sign of whats to come?
 
nine4nine
Posts: 800
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:44 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:56 pm

MDGLongBeach wrote:
theres an Avelo 738 flying into LGB tonight from MFE... is this a military charter? or maybe a sign of whats to come?



Most likely military charter and nothing more. Arrived at LGB around 11:40p and left for BUR a little after 1am.
 
caribbeanSwag
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:30 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:03 pm

Finally someone talks. Still no destination announcements though

https://www.nhregister.com/news/article ... 327716.php
 
F27500
Posts: 971
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:25 pm

caribbeanSwag wrote:
Finally someone talks. Still no destination announcements though

https://www.nhregister.com/news/article ... 327716.php


Can't read the story, as it's behind a pay wall .. whats it saying, basically ?
 
User avatar
airportugal310
Posts: 3730
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:49 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:31 pm

nine4nine wrote:
MDGLongBeach wrote:
theres an Avelo 738 flying into LGB tonight from MFE... is this a military charter? or maybe a sign of whats to come?



Most likely military charter and nothing more. Arrived at LGB around 11:40p and left for BUR a little after 1am.


Flew migrant children in when the originally scheduled Kaiser 737 had a mechanical (was supposed to be BRO-LGB)
 
travaz
Posts: 1125
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 1:03 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:37 pm

airportugal310 wrote:
nine4nine wrote:
MDGLongBeach wrote:
theres an Avelo 738 flying into LGB tonight from MFE... is this a military charter? or maybe a sign of whats to come?



Most likely military charter and nothing more. Arrived at LGB around 11:40p and left for BUR a little after 1am.


Flew migrant children in when the originally scheduled Kaiser 737 had a mechanical (was supposed to be BRO-LGB)


Great new homes for all.
 
hiflyeras
Posts: 2375
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:48 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:46 pm

caribbeanSwag wrote:
BIG NEWS: ExxonMobil chosen as Avelo’s exclusive lubricants provider. Now let’s hope for more huge news this week.


Thanks for the laugh!
 
bloxomo
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:33 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:58 pm

F27500 wrote:
caribbeanSwag wrote:
Finally someone talks. Still no destination announcements though

https://www.nhregister.com/news/article ... 327716.php


Can't read the story, as it's behind a pay wall .. whats it saying, basically ?


Not much to it; if you're fast enough you can read it, or use view source. The Executive Director of the Tweed Airport Authority isn't concerned for XP's future at HVN despite them dropping GJT and BZN. The most interesting thing was his claim that Andrew Levy will be coming "in a few weeks" to announce destinations.
 
airlineworker
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:20 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:45 pm

F27500 wrote:
caribbeanSwag wrote:
Finally someone talks. Still no destination announcements though

https://www.nhregister.com/news/article ... 327716.php


Can't read the story, as it's behind a pay wall .. whats it saying, basically ?


Click on reload and quickly hit stop. May have to do it a few times but it always works for me.
 
Flflyer83
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:40 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:19 am

Wneast wrote:
Flflyer83 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
I really don’t think there is any space at Hobby hence the reason WN expanded to IAH... and I don’t know why is HOU restricted to more gates ?


Yes. HOU has space. WN expanded at IAH because there has been so much growth north of I-10 with the completion of hwy 99 and the expansion of 249, that it was almost a must to continue to hold on to the market share that they do have in Houston. I believe 26-32 are all used be other airlines (DL, AA, G4). B6 packed up and move up to IAH.

Gates 26-32 there is only 30 ? And I’m pretty sure G4 uses 2 gates that are there’s and I don’t really think any airline even has more then a couple flights of there. Even if there were maybe some room it would be for a couple flights why would they want to go there when the couldn’t grow


Hou has gates 1-5 in the international portion of the terminal, gates 20-32 on the east side of the main terminal and gates 40-51 on the west side of the terminal. So, yes, 30 total gates, but they aren’t gates 1-30.
 
F27500
Posts: 971
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:28 am

airlineworker wrote:
F27500 wrote:
caribbeanSwag wrote:
Finally someone talks. Still no destination announcements though

https://www.nhregister.com/news/article ... 327716.php


Can't read the story, as it's behind a pay wall .. whats it saying, basically ?


Click on reload and quickly hit stop. May have to do it a few times but it always works for me.


That worked .. thanks for the tip! I'll be using it alot in future because i refuse to pay for the New Haven Register.. lol.

You're right .. not much more news. I do think its silly how many people are so fixated on the 2 cities Avelo is discontinuing as a sign of weakness.. Its only smart to discontinue underperforming routes. If the money wasn't there and the advance bookings weren't either, its stupid for any company to keep running empty planes to those places. Putting their resources where they're better used is the right thing to do. Had Burbank (their base) been one of the cities they dropped, well then yea .. that would be a problem, of course, but it certainly wasn't. And their chairman seemed to say that they were more seasonal-type destinations and that they will look into restarting them again next summer.

Seems like alot of Avelo-hating Karens circling like vultures (as with any new airline) wishing them failure. Sad. I'm wishing Avelo nothing but the best .. and that they continue to grow as smartly as possible. I'm hoping New Haven (especially since I live there) is a great success for them.
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 22727
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:30 pm

F27500 wrote:
I do think its silly how many people are so fixated on the 2 cities Avelo is discontinuing as a sign of weakness.. Its only smart to discontinue underperforming routes. If the money wasn't there and the advance bookings weren't either, its stupid for any company to keep running empty planes to those places. Putting their resources where they're better used is the right thing to do. Had Burbank (their base) been one of the cities they dropped, well then yea .. that would be a problem, of course, but it certainly wasn't. And their chairman seemed to say that they were more seasonal-type destinations and that they will look into restarting them again next summer.

The variation of the Allegiant model requires quite a bit of seasonality and route experimentation. Something would be wrong if a new airline batted perfectly. That would mean existing airlines weren't even close to understanding demand.

Lightsaber
 
FATFlyer
Posts: 5273
Joined: Fri May 18, 2001 4:12 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:49 pm

lightsaber wrote:
F27500 wrote:
I do think its silly how many people are so fixated on the 2 cities Avelo is discontinuing as a sign of weakness.. Its only smart to discontinue underperforming routes. If the money wasn't there and the advance bookings weren't either, its stupid for any company to keep running empty planes to those places. Putting their resources where they're better used is the right thing to do. Had Burbank (their base) been one of the cities they dropped, well then yea .. that would be a problem, of course, but it certainly wasn't. And their chairman seemed to say that they were more seasonal-type destinations and that they will look into restarting them again next summer.

The variation of the Allegiant model requires quite a bit of seasonality and route experimentation. Something would be wrong if a new airline batted perfectly. That would mean existing airlines weren't even close to understanding demand.

Lightsaber


As I said before, some of Andrew Levy's moves with Avelo have to be looked at by observing his experience at Allegiant. Much of what he learned about startup airlines will be from there.

Allegiant took many criticisms on a.net and elsewhere after Maurice Gallagher took over (2002 and on) for its route choices and moves.

Additionally G4 was criticized here (and elsewhere) for how quickly it dropped routes and cities after only a few months if they did not meet Allegiant's internal goals. Just search from 10 or 20 years ago about new and ended routes.

For example, when Allegiant left ORH in 2006 after only a few months of service the mayor called Maury Gallagher a corporate charlatan. But Gallagher created a very profitable airline with his decisions that others criticized.

Instead of focusing on a few short-term Avelo moves, I'm trying to watch a broader view to see if Avelo will be successful or not.
 
caribbeanSwag
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:30 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:55 pm

“Letting customers decide where they fly from CT” hmmm

https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticut/n ... residents/
 
F27500
Posts: 971
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:00 pm

caribbeanSwag wrote:
“Letting customers decide where they fly from CT” hmmm

https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticut/n ... residents/


I love it! (And I'm gonna win, too! ;) LOL)
 
caribbeanSwag
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:30 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:12 pm

I honestly think they’re buying time with that. “We won’t be able to launch on time but here’s this so you know we are still doing it”
 
airlineworker
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:20 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:12 pm

PHAT Flyer

wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
F27500 wrote:
I do think its silly how many people are so fixated on the 2 cities Avelo is discontinuing as a sign of weakness.. Its only smart to discontinue underperforming routes. If the money wasn't there and the advance bookings weren't either, its stupid for any company to keep running empty planes to those places. Putting their resources where they're better used is the right thing to do. Had Burbank (their base) been one of the cities they dropped, well then yea .. that would be a problem, of course, but it certainly wasn't. And their chairman seemed to say that they were more seasonal-type destinations and that they will look into restarting them again next summer.

The variation of the Allegiant model requires quite a bit of seasonality and route experimentation. Something would be wrong if a new airline batted perfectly. That would mean existing airlines weren't even close to understanding demand.

Lightsaber


As I said before, some of Andrew Levy's moves with Avelo have to be looked at by observing his experience at Allegiant. Much of what he learned about startup airlines will be from there.

Allegiant took many criticisms on a.net and elsewhere after Maurice Gallagher took over (2002 and on) for its route choices and moves.

Additionally G4 was criticized here (and elsewhere) for how quickly it dropped routes and cities after only a few months if they did not meet Allegiant's internal goals. Just search from 10 or 20 years ago about new and ended routes.

For example, when Allegiant left ORH in 2006 after only a few months of service the mayor called Maury Gallagher a corporate charlatan. But Gallagher created a very profitable airline with his decisions that others criticized.

Instead of focusing on a few short-term Avelo moves, I'm trying to watch a broader view to see if Avelo will be successful or not.


Amen FATFlyer, It's the LCC's that are expanding the most and the New Haven area is so woefully under served. I feel Avelo will awaken flyers in the shoreline area that currently travel long distances to catch a flight that a nearby airport will soon have low fares to places they want to go. It's been a long road for HVN but the SCOTUS win has finally cut the chains that held back the airport from realizing it's potential..
 
caribbeanSwag
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:30 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:13 pm

I could see Burbank turning into a full scale connecting hub, can’t see this from New Haven though.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos