Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

F27500

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:34 pm

caribbeanSwag wrote:
I honestly think they’re buying time with that. “We won’t be able to launch on time but here’s this so you know we are still doing it”

Its better than saying nothing at all. They needed to come up with something to keep people confident that they are serious about this service here even though its not starting right when they initially intended.

F27500

Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:36 pm

caribbeanSwag wrote:
I could see Burbank turning into a full scale connecting hub, can’t see this from New Haven though.

Avelo isn't about being a connecting hub airline in either BUR or HVN. Same as Allegiant, Spirit, etc.

MavyWavyATR

Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:55 pm

F27500 wrote:
caribbeanSwag wrote:
I could see Burbank turning into a full scale connecting hub, can’t see this from New Haven though.

Avelo isn't about being a connecting hub airline in either BUR or HVN. Same as Allegiant, Spirit, etc.

That, I feel, is gonna hurt them down the road (similar to defunct SX). As for the last part there, NK offers connections on certain routes.

sfojvjets

Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:00 pm

MavyWavyATR wrote:
F27500 wrote:
caribbeanSwag wrote:

That, I feel, is gonna hurt them down the road (similar to defunct SX). As for the last part there, NK offers connections on certain routes.

Why would it hurt them down the road?? Their entire business model is predicated on not having to offer connections - the fly wholly p2p routes that are attractive to the leisure and VFR crowd. I don't understand how you say that this is going to "hurt them down the road" when G4 does the same exact thing Avelo does, but on a larger scale, and has the profits to show for it.

32andBelow

Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:08 pm

sfojvjets wrote:
MavyWavyATR wrote:
F27500 wrote:

Why would it hurt them down the road?? Their entire business model is predicated on not having to offer connections - the fly wholly p2p routes that are attractive to the leisure and VFR crowd. I don't understand how you say that this is going to "hurt them down the road" when G4 does the same exact thing Avelo does, but on a larger scale, and has the profits to show for it.

I think it’s gonna hurt their maintenance programs since they can’t rotate airplanes without non revenue flights. Allegiant can route planes around its system

caribbeanSwag

Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:25 pm

F27500 wrote:
caribbeanSwag wrote:

I’m quoting Levy. He mentions plans to switch to a connecting hub format

heavymetal

Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:46 pm

caribbeanSwag wrote:
F27500 wrote:
caribbeanSwag wrote:

You keep saying this, but I've never seen any quote stating they are switching to a connecting hub format. Can you provide a source or a link?

caribbeanSwag

Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:47 pm

heavymetal wrote:
caribbeanSwag wrote:
F27500 wrote:

You keep saying this, but I've never seen any quote stating they are switching to a connecting hub format. Can you provide a source or a link?

He’s said it a couple of times in interviews. In fact, he even directly quoted the Ryanair and easyJet model as his long term vision

Quoting hub and spoke plans:

https://www.travelandleisure.com/airlin ... at-to-know

Quoting Ryanair model:

https://worldairlinenews.com/2021/01/26 ... -airlines/

Now, I do understand that just because he says this doesn’t mean it will happen. I’m just commenting his plans directly.

I also don’t understand where people got from that Avelo simply plans on being a new Allegiant. I understand that he was an OG founder there so there’s a connection. But it’s far too early to call it this way over a few similarities. He’s even mentioned he has plans to tap into more markets than just pure leisure if you see his interviews. And seeing the Burbank base, Ogden, Santa Rosa, Mesa etc., supposing they stick to what they plan, these airports specifically facilitate a Ryanair model set up.

USTraveler

Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:01 am

Anyone know if they're dropping the BUR-AZA (Phoenix/Mesa) route? I'm aware of the other two routes dropped, and now don't see anything to AZA after mid-August.

heavymetal

Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:08 am

caribbeanSwag wrote:
heavymetal wrote:
caribbeanSwag wrote:

He’s said it a couple of times in interviews. In fact, he even directly quoted the Ryanair and easyJet model as his long term vision

Quoting Ryanair model:

Now, I do understand that just because he says this doesn’t mean it will happen. I’m just commenting his plans directly.

I also don’t understand where people got from that Avelo simply plans on being a new Allegiant. I understand that he was an OG founder there so there’s a connection. But it’s far too early to call it this way over a few similarities. He’s even mentioned he has plans to tap into more markets than just pure leisure if you see his interviews. And seeing the Burbank base, Ogden, Santa Rosa, Mesa etc., supposing they stick to what they plan, these airports specifically facilitate a Ryanair model set up.

There is nothing in the first article that suggests Avelo is considering a hub and spoke model. Quite the opposite actually - Levy mentions on two occasions that Avelo will focus on point-to-point, connection-free service, while the major airlines will revert back to the traditional hub-and-spoke model post-COVID.

caribbeanSwag

Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:06 am

heavymetal wrote:
caribbeanSwag wrote:
heavymetal wrote:

Quoting Ryanair model:

There is nothing in the first article that suggests Avelo is considering a hub and spoke model. Quite the opposite actually - Levy mentions on two occasions that Avelo will focus on point-to-point, connection-free service, while the major airlines will revert back to the traditional hub-and-spoke model post-COVID.

You must have not read the full article. While they did mention that, later in the article it says that this is their plan starting out and Levy envisions switching to a hub and spoke model later on.

Again, I’m not saying it will happen but that is what he has mentioned as his long-term vision multiple times including in both of these articles

heavymetal

Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:38 am

caribbeanSwag wrote:
heavymetal wrote:
caribbeanSwag wrote:

Quoting Ryanair model:

You must have not read the full article. While they did mention that, later in the article it says that this is their plan starting out and Levy envisions switching to a hub and spoke model later on.

Again, I’m not saying it will happen but that is what he has mentioned as his long-term vision multiple times including in both of these articles

Lol. I read the whole article, it doesn’t mention anything about Avelo switching to hub and spoke. Only references the legacies going back to hub and spoke after the pandemic.

BangersAndMash

Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:06 am

caribbeanSwag wrote:

Quoting Ryanair model:

Except Ryanair and Easyjet are p2p airlines. I have no idea where that connecting hub fantasy is coming from. They don't routinely sell connections, except for a very small number of itineraries through their largest stations. And those are not by design, they're simply natural connections that exist anyway because of their local operation's sheer size.

F27500

Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:26 pm

Interesting how all the Avelo haters are dwelling on how GJT and BZM were discontinued and are already predicting Avelo's demise .. when Breeze is cutting all over the place. Cutting routes (not surprising, since they have some really weak sounding ones), reducing frequencies and parking planes .. why is Breeze so much more highly regarded?

https://thepointsguy.com/news/breeze-ai ... eductions/

FLYKTPA

Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:31 pm

F27500 wrote:
Interesting how all the Avelo haters are dwelling on how GJT and BZM were discontinued and are already predicting Avelo's demise .. when Breeze is cutting all over the place. Cutting routes (not surprising, since they have some really weak sounding ones), reducing frequencies and parking planes .. why is Breeze so much more highly regarded?

Supposedly the Breeze cuts are because of FAA certification of new E190s is being held up. But of course the cuts are the weaker routes I imagine. Not sure why people are making a big deal over either airlines cuts. All airlines move capacity around….

BangersAndMash

Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:42 pm

Apparently, they're giving away some freebies at HVN. Launch is now scheduled for October, it seems.

https://simpleflying.com/avelo-airlines-free-tickets-connecticut/

Q

Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:43 pm

F27500 wrote:

BZM. you meant Bozeman BZN not BZM.

Q

nws2002

Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:19 pm

32andBelow wrote:
sfojvjets wrote:
MavyWavyATR wrote:

I think it’s gonna hurt their maintenance programs since they can’t rotate airplanes without non revenue flights. Allegiant can route planes around its system

G4 doesn't rotate aircraft without non-revenue flights either in most cases. Aircraft depart from a base and return to the same base, on the same day, and with the same crew. They don't trade aircraft out at outstations as a planned operation, for instance flying one aircraft SFB-BIS and another LAS-BIS and then swapping aircraft in BIS. They just ferry them empty as needed and aircraft tend to stay as either east coast or west coast.

alasizon

Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:37 pm

caribbeanSwag wrote:

Very hard for Burbank to turn in to a full connecting hub when Avelo is sharing a common use gate and the airport is capped on gates.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

F27500

Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:41 pm

Q wrote:
F27500 wrote:

BZM. you meant Bozeman BZN not BZM.

Q

Oops! You're right .. i blew that one! I'm usually pretty good with the 3-letter codes.

USTraveler

Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:09 am

"Anyone know if they're dropping the BUR-AZA (Phoenix/Mesa) route? I'm aware of the other two routes dropped, and now don't see anything to AZA after mid-August?(end quote)

Called Avelo about a current reservation of mine and the agent confirmed dropping AZA out of BUR... Have no idea for how long...

jjbiv

Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:36 am

nws2002 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
sfojvjets wrote:

G4 doesn't rotate aircraft without non-revenue flights either in most cases. Aircraft depart from a base and return to the same base, on the same day, and with the same crew. They don't trade aircraft out at outstations as a planned operation, for instance flying one aircraft SFB-BIS and another LAS-BIS and then swapping aircraft in BIS. They just ferry them empty as needed and aircraft tend to stay as either east coast or west coast.

G4 swaps aircraft in LAS, SFB, and other large base cities all of the time. It's far and away the most efficient way for them to move aircraft around their system -- no ferry flights needed and no crews out of position.

QXorVX

Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:17 pm

nws2002 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
sfojvjets wrote:

Allegiant has 20 aircraft/crew bases throughout the country, all of the smaller stations touching a large MX hub (example BLI has flights to LAS and IWA, DSM has flights to LAS and SFB, TYS has flights to SFB and LAS... etc). Easy to filter planes in and out of the large MX hubs by doing a tail swap between flights. Non-revenue flights surely occur now and then just like they do with all airlines, but to so they don't transfer planes without them at all is not correct.

Further to that point, with Avelo having a fleet of 6 planes, I really don't think the ability to keep aircraft in a mx cycle without ferry legs is that critical. With MX provided at both bases there would not be an often enough need to move the planes. It just doesn't happen that much and when it does one flight won't contribute much to their success or failure. I'm sure heavy mx will not occur in BUR anyway so they plane will be on the move as is. As the fleet grows it will become advantageous to have the various hubs connected one way or the other, and I imagine that will be the case. If they ever get there.

lightsaber

Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:31 am

FLYKTPA wrote:
F27500 wrote:

Supposedly the Breeze cuts are because of FAA certification of new E190s is being held up. But of course the cuts are the weaker routes I imagine. Not sure why people are making a big deal over either airlines cuts. All airlines move capacity around….

I would go further, the ULCC model has many route start ups and shut downs until the exact seasonal pattern is established. Even then, frequencies are constantly changed based on yield variations (e.g., popular new 2nd home market).

I think there is a lot of crab potting going on where others do not want low cost competition starting up.

Lightsaber
10 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

wnflyguy

Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:57 pm

Avelo less than daily flying out of BUR allows them slack to park a plane for a entire day to preform weekly scheduled MX on Low usage days.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

sfojvjets

Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:36 pm

Looks like all new western adds will be announced tomorrow! Now we know at least one of them - Monterey Airport (MRY) posted and subsequently deleted a post that said that Avelo would be joining their family of airlines! Of course, this is unconfirmed by XP themselves, but I assume that MRY announced the service a day too early for Avelo's liking. I have a screenshot of the deleted post, but not sure how to embed it in here.

Text: "We've got an exciting announcement! Avelo Airlines will be joining our team of airlines, and they are bringing nonstop Burbank service to the MRY terminal! The twice weekly service will be on a 737-800 aircraft and begins on September 30th."

I'm glad Avelo will be flying to MRY. I'm not afraid to say I've called this service many times in the past, and that Avelo would be downright stupid to ignore MRY. I'll say it again: MRY is the poster child for an Avelo destination. Honestly, the only thing I'm surprised about is why didn't they start flying there as a launch destination?... JSX flies BUR-MRY, but I am not sure what the frequency is. Their target market is completely different than Avelo's though, so I really hope this will be a winner. Thanksgiving should be a good sell, I think.

Jshank83

Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:54 pm

sfojvjets wrote:
Looks like all new western adds will be announced tomorrow! Now we know at least one of them - Monterey Airport (MRY) posted and subsequently deleted a post that said that Avelo would be joining their family of airlines! Of course, this is unconfirmed by XP themselves, but I assume that MRY announced the service a day too early for Avelo's liking. I have a screenshot of the deleted post, but not sure how to embed it in here.

Text: "We've got an exciting announcement! Avelo Airlines will be joining our team of airlines, and they are bringing nonstop Burbank service to the MRY terminal! The twice weekly service will be on a 737-800 aircraft and begins on September 30th."

I'm glad Avelo will be flying to MRY. I'm not afraid to say I've called this service many times in the past, and that Avelo would be downright stupid to ignore MRY. I'll say it again: MRY is the poster child for an Avelo destination. Honestly, the only thing I'm surprised about is why didn't they start flying there as a launch destination?... JSX flies BUR-MRY, but I am not sure what the frequency is. Their target market is completely different than Avelo's though, so I really hope this will be a winner. Thanksgiving should be a good sell, I think.

Fort Collins, Colorado (FNL)
Monterey, California (MRY)
Provo, Utah (PVU)
St. George, Utah (SGU)

https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/142 ... 90376?s=20

TexasAirCorp

Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:00 pm

sfojvjets wrote:

Agreed. MRY is screaming out for more low-fare service. I think XP will do incredibly well out of MRY, as well as out of SGU.

PVU will be interesting seeing as G4's PVU-LAX service is very popular.

BangersAndMash

Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:01 pm

Again, they're pretty much going for routes nobody is flying. Good on them!

flyoregon

Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:24 pm

I have to wonder if SLE is on the radar for XP at all. And I don't want to hear it's too close to PDX. OGD is closer to SLC than SLE is to PDX.

jmc1975

Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:26 pm

I expected FNL for awhile. With these types of adds, what will be next from BUR?
TVL?
FLG?
PRC?
IFP?

RWA380

Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:36 pm

jmc1975 wrote:
I expected FNL for awhile. With these types of adds, what will be next from BUR?
TVL?
FLG?
PRC?
IFP?

TUS, BOI & GEG all come to mind.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

Coronado990

Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:41 pm

jmc1975 wrote:
TVL?
FLG?
PRC?
IFP?

SAF, DRO, COS, EKO
Bonanza Air Lines. The original BZ.

F27500

Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:46 pm

I've heard Avelo has already hired a station manager in New Haven. I've not seen any other publicized job fairs or hiring events for ground or inflight crew (or pilots either, for that matter) in the area.

Has anyone heard anything about the hiring/staffing plans here? Or maybe they are gonna be starting up with TDY people from out west ?
Last edited by F27500 on Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MDGLongBeach

Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:48 pm

Coronado990 wrote:
jmc1975 wrote:
TVL?
FLG?
PRC?
IFP?

SAF, DRO, COS, EKO

There's no way that EKO could support 737 service, theres just not enough people going in/out... they're not even filling up CRJ2s there.

BangersAndMash

Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:51 pm

RWA380 wrote:
jmc1975 wrote:
TVL?
FLG?
PRC?
IFP?

A bit too large, I would think. They've been careful to try and stay away from overt competition. These are all served from other LA area airports, and I would think AS would be very unhappy with BOI and GEG. And Avelo don't want to pick a fight with AS. Not a good idea.

LASVegan

Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:15 pm

FNL makes me happy. They’ve been screaming for service since G4 packed up. Hope this sticks. In a dream world FNL becomes a base at some point. I do think northern Colorado has the population and affluence to support it.

RWA380

Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:19 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
jmc1975 wrote:
TVL?
FLG?
PRC?
IFP?

A bit too large, I would think. They've been careful to try and stay away from overt competition. These are all served from other LA area airports, and I would think AS would be very unhappy with BOI and GEG. And Avelo don't want to pick a fight with AS. Not a good idea.

RDM has many cities n/s, XP flies to BUR, AS & UA fly RDM-LAX. EUG-LAX operates & EUG to BUR is on XP, MFR has LAX n/s & XP flies to BUR. BOI upstart housing prices have jumped 25 % post pandemic & some argue, BOI is underserved & it has a big catchment area. GEG is not too large either, IMHO for XP to launch service. I will agree they would be on the large side of their model, but secondary regional hot spots. I think BZN was a bit too small & very seasonal (Summer/Winter). Isn't BIL a bigger city that they could connect to BUR?
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

AVLAirlineFreq

Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:10 pm

What about COS? Only sees United Express to LAX.

nine4nine

Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:51 pm

What is the status of the 73G’s for New Haven? I noticed on Instagram yesterday a spotter at BUR getting shots of the 73G landing there. Are they being mixed in with the 738 base until the east coast ops get up and running?
717, 727-100, 727-200, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 742, 748, 752, 753, 762, 763, 772, 77W, 787-10, DC9, MD80/88/90, DC10, 319, 220-300, 320, 321, 321n, 332, 333, CS100, CRJ200, Q400, E175, E190, ERJ145, EMB120

MavyWavyATR

Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:10 am

nine4nine wrote:
What is the status of the 73G’s for New Haven? I noticed on Instagram yesterday a spotter at BUR getting shots of the 73G landing there. Are they being mixed in with the 738 base until the east coast ops get up and running?

N702XT has already been ferried over to Burbank (not sure if they accepted delivery yet). The other two; N703XT & N905WN, are still due for them.

wnflyguy

Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:17 am

MavyWavyATR wrote:
nine4nine wrote:

N702XT has already been ferried over to Burbank (not sure if they accepted delivery yet). The other two; N703XT & N905WN, are still due for them.

I believe the East coast flight crews will be doing live real world training in BUR until HVN opens up.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

F27500

Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:02 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
MavyWavyATR wrote:
nine4nine wrote:

I believe the East coast flight crews will be doing live real world training in BUR until HVN opens up.

Flyguy

Have they hired cockpit and cabin crews for HVN ? I live in New Haven and i have seen nothing here as far as job fairs or a hiring event for Avelo yet.

KlimaBXsst

Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:20 pm

How are Avelo’s on time performance, and flight completion records doing thus far.

Seems to be very little detail of how they are managing or if there have been many hiccups during their start up. Probably due to them being so new and garnering honey-moon status at this time among the public observers.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

airlineworker

Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:57 pm

F27500 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
MavyWavyATR wrote:

Flyguy

Have they hired cockpit and cabin crews for HVN ? I live in New Haven and i have seen nothing here as far as job fairs or a hiring event for Avelo yet.

I used to live in New Haven, the Westville section and always visited Tweed during the EA and UA years. Avelo needs to get the word out on planned destinations to build up interest. July came and went and no news on new cities. Florida has been talked about a lot, but will it be secondary airports like Allegiant or TPA, MIA, MCO, etc.

wnflyguy

Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:09 pm

airlineworker wrote:
F27500 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

I used to live in New Haven, the Westville section and always visited Tweed during the EA and UA years. Avelo needs to get the word out on planned destinations to build up interest. July came and went and no news on new cities. Florida has been talked about a lot, but will it be secondary airports like Allegiant or TPA, MIA, MCO, etc.

Since there is no Direct Nonstop competition at HVN unlike the situation at BUR it would make more sense to go directly into the Main FL airports like you mention.

Flyguy

airlineworker

Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:19 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
airlineworker wrote:
F27500 wrote:

Since there is no Direct Nonstop competition at HVN unlike the situation at BUR it would make more sense to go directly into the Main FL airports like you mention.

Flyguy

Being a startup, I would think they would want lower cost smaller airports with less air traffic that could cause delays. Whatever they decide, these flights should go over big as Florida is a high demand destination.

AVLAirlineFreq

Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:02 am

wnflyguy wrote:
airlineworker wrote:
F27500 wrote:

Flyguy

I was thinking the exact opposite--that without direct nonstop competition, Avelo would fly to the secondary airports.

nkops

Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:39 am

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
airlineworker wrote:

I was thinking the exact opposite--that without direct nonstop competition, Avelo would fly to the secondary airports.

I agree.. I see them doing airports like SFB, PIE, PGD and FLL. It helps also keeps their costs down.
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

lat41

Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:10 pm

With potentially only FL destinations to be the meat of HVN service, hopefully
Florida will get its Coronavirus act together before the wheels come off the tourist wagon.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos