Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
n471wn
Posts: 1915
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:23 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:59 pm

JAGMedia wrote:
n471wn wrote:
Does anyone know why N802XT has been sitting at San Bernardino for the last 3 weeks?

Chatted with an Avelo ramper who said 802 was at SBD for heavy maint.


Thanks for this update.
 
sea13
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:58 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:20 pm

Looks like Avelo is finally pulling out of OGD (Ogden, UT). Mostly citing the rise in high fuel. This will leave OGD with no commercial air service. G4 left in April.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50417053/la ... al-flights

I thought someone here said that BUR-OGD was their best performing route out of the BUR network? I didn’t think airlines cut money-making routes…
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2850
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:53 am

sea13 wrote:
Looks like Avelo is finally pulling out of OGD (Ogden, UT). Mostly citing the rise in high fuel. This will leave OGD with no commercial air service. G4 left in April.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50417053/la ... al-flights

I thought someone here said that BUR-OGD was their best performing route out of the BUR network? I didn’t think airlines cut money-making routes…


That was me, based on their Feb 22 performance, in terms of butts on seats it was averaging over 80%, that doesn’t necessarily translate into money making if the income wasn’t enough. Sadly XP didn’t submit their Jan numbers to DOT or at least they weren’t uploaded at time of recording the Feb ones, so I couldn’t see a trend. You would like that 80% would make them money, but maybe not if OGD was expensive and especially after the fuel prices went up.
So it’s a strange decision, but if the economics weren’t there then fair enough. You can fill planes but if you aren’t making enough revenue to cover the costs it’s never going to work sadly.
 
sea13
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:58 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:56 am

VS4ever wrote:
sea13 wrote:
Looks like Avelo is finally pulling out of OGD (Ogden, UT). Mostly citing the rise in high fuel. This will leave OGD with no commercial air service. G4 left in April.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50417053/la ... al-flights

I thought someone here said that BUR-OGD was their best performing route out of the BUR network? I didn’t think airlines cut money-making routes…


That was me, based on their Feb 22 performance, in terms of butts on seats it was averaging over 80%, that doesn’t necessarily translate into money making if the income wasn’t enough. Sadly XP didn’t submit their Jan numbers to DOT or at least they weren’t uploaded at time of recording the Feb ones, so I couldn’t see a trend. You would like that 80% would make them money, but maybe not if OGD was expensive and especially after the fuel prices went up.
So it’s a strange decision, but if the economics weren’t there then fair enough. You can fill planes but if you aren’t making enough revenue to cover the costs it’s never going to work sadly.


That makes sense. Thanks for the reply. Avelo will also be dropping BUR-FNL.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2850
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:01 am

sea13 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
sea13 wrote:
Looks like Avelo is finally pulling out of OGD (Ogden, UT). Mostly citing the rise in high fuel. This will leave OGD with no commercial air service. G4 left in April.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50417053/la ... al-flights

I thought someone here said that BUR-OGD was their best performing route out of the BUR network? I didn’t think airlines cut money-making routes…


That was me, based on their Feb 22 performance, in terms of butts on seats it was averaging over 80%, that doesn’t necessarily translate into money making if the income wasn’t enough. Sadly XP didn’t submit their Jan numbers to DOT or at least they weren’t uploaded at time of recording the Feb ones, so I couldn’t see a trend. You would like that 80% would make them money, but maybe not if OGD was expensive and especially after the fuel prices went up.
So it’s a strange decision, but if the economics weren’t there then fair enough. You can fill planes but if you aren’t making enough revenue to cover the costs it’s never going to work sadly.


That makes sense. Thanks for the reply. Avelo will also be dropping BUR-FNL.

Looking over the same data much less surprising given Feb 22 only showed 40% loads
 
sea13
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:58 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:22 pm

VS4ever wrote:
sea13 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

That was me, based on their Feb 22 performance, in terms of butts on seats it was averaging over 80%, that doesn’t necessarily translate into money making if the income wasn’t enough. Sadly XP didn’t submit their Jan numbers to DOT or at least they weren’t uploaded at time of recording the Feb ones, so I couldn’t see a trend. You would like that 80% would make them money, but maybe not if OGD was expensive and especially after the fuel prices went up.
So it’s a strange decision, but if the economics weren’t there then fair enough. You can fill planes but if you aren’t making enough revenue to cover the costs it’s never going to work sadly.


That makes sense. Thanks for the reply. Avelo will also be dropping BUR-FNL.

Looking over the same data much less surprising given Feb 22 only showed 40% loads


Makes sense. OGD never made sense to me. Overall I wonder if Avelo will be at BUR long term. I think they’ll be down to a handful of routes once OGD and FNL are gone. Also their LAS station is shrinking.
 
airlineworker
Posts: 622
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:20 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:17 am

Just checked BUR and HVN routes and HVN has 14, BUR 10. More daily flights out of HVN than BUR. I wonder if BUR cities are too small to serve, especially since BUR has 737-800's whereas HVN has the 737-700's. I don't remember how many flights Avelo had at BUR when it first started the service.
 
caribbeanSwag
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:30 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:05 am

Finally the fourth 738 got announced. Wonder if it’ll be based at BUR or MCO.
 
sea13
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:58 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:36 am

airlineworker wrote:
Just checked BUR and HVN routes and HVN has 14, BUR 10. More daily flights out of HVN than BUR. I wonder if BUR cities are too small to serve, especially since BUR has 737-800's whereas HVN has the 737-700's. I don't remember how many flights Avelo had at BUR when it first started the service.

BUR will be down to eight routes by the end of this month once FNL and OGD are gone. I think Avelo’s BUR operation is toast.
 
flyoregon
Posts: 1004
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:29 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:54 am

sea13 wrote:
airlineworker wrote:
Just checked BUR and HVN routes and HVN has 14, BUR 10. More daily flights out of HVN than BUR. I wonder if BUR cities are too small to serve, especially since BUR has 737-800's whereas HVN has the 737-700's. I don't remember how many flights Avelo had at BUR when it first started the service.

BUR will be down to eight routes by the end of this month once FNL and OGD are gone. I think Avelo’s BUR operation is toast.


BUR is toast because they dropped 2 routes?
 
caribbeanSwag
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:30 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:14 am

sea13 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
sea13 wrote:

That makes sense. Thanks for the reply. Avelo will also be dropping BUR-FNL.

Looking over the same data much less surprising given Feb 22 only showed 40% loads


Makes sense. OGD never made sense to me. Overall I wonder if Avelo will be at BUR long term. I think they’ll be down to a handful of routes once OGD and FNL are gone. Also their LAS station is shrinking.


They haven’t formally had a base in Vegas. Just a number of flights there which is expected from a leisure heavy airline.
 
sea13
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:58 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:36 am

flyoregon wrote:
sea13 wrote:
airlineworker wrote:
Just checked BUR and HVN routes and HVN has 14, BUR 10. More daily flights out of HVN than BUR. I wonder if BUR cities are too small to serve, especially since BUR has 737-800's whereas HVN has the 737-700's. I don't remember how many flights Avelo had at BUR when it first started the service.

BUR will be down to eight routes by the end of this month once FNL and OGD are gone. I think Avelo’s BUR operation is toast.


BUR is toast because they dropped 2 routes?

You need to look at the full picture. Many routes have either been drastically reduced, dropped or never began service after an official announcement. Off the top of my head these are Bozeman, Monterey, Provo, Grand Junction, Ft. Collins, Ogden, St. George, Tucson, Mesa/Phoenix. Hardly just 2 routes…
 
KarlB737
Posts: 3018
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:51 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:08 pm

KarlB737 wrote:
NJFlyer27 wrote:
I think Avelo is very happy Frontier left ILG................


Courtesy: USA Today

Delaware Will Be The Only State Without Commercial Airline Service After Frontier Airlines' Exit

"After Frontier completes its final flight on June 6, Delaware will once again be the only state without commercial airline service."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/airline-news/2022/05/13/frontier-airlines-exit-leaves-delaware-without-commercial-flights/9767653002/


Well will Avelo in fact enter ILG now that Frontier is gone?
 
TexasAirCorp
Posts: 550
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:24 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:09 pm

sea13 wrote:
flyoregon wrote:
sea13 wrote:
BUR will be down to eight routes by the end of this month once FNL and OGD are gone. I think Avelo’s BUR operation is toast.


BUR is toast because they dropped 2 routes?

You need to look at the full picture. Many routes have either been drastically reduced, dropped or never began service after an official announcement. Off the top of my head these are Bozeman, Monterey, Provo, Grand Junction, Ft. Collins, Ogden, St. George, Tucson, Mesa/Phoenix. Hardly just 2 routes…

Spokane too!
 
sea13
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:58 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:59 pm

TexasAirCorp wrote:
sea13 wrote:
flyoregon wrote:

BUR is toast because they dropped 2 routes?

You need to look at the full picture. Many routes have either been drastically reduced, dropped or never began service after an official announcement. Off the top of my head these are Bozeman, Monterey, Provo, Grand Junction, Ft. Collins, Ogden, St. George, Tucson, Mesa/Phoenix. Hardly just 2 routes…

Spokane too!

My point exactly. That’s 10 routes either dropped or never started. Keep in mind they began service barley a year ago. I’ll be surprised to see Avelo at BUR this time next year. The current routes to PSC, EUG, STS, etc., I would think can’t be bringing in many passengers or drawing that much demand. If OGD did have the best passenger loads, and it got dropped, than nothing is safe IMO.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2850
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:40 pm

So to clear up BUR... I have all the load data from the T-100 from may 21 thru Feb 22 (March numbers are out, but XP reports were not included)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

But you can see very clearly why certain routes were dropped, OGD is definitely the odd ball from that.
 
User avatar
SLCaviation
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:24 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:53 pm

My friend who is a ramp agent at OGD said it is due to the high gas prices at the airport. OGD is getting a new terminal renovation soon and hopes to attract new service, sad to see Avelo leave but maybe they can come back one day.
 
sea13
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:58 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:21 am

SLCaviation wrote:
My friend who is a ramp agent at OGD said it is due to the high gas prices at the airport. OGD is getting a new terminal renovation soon and hopes to attract new service, sad to see Avelo leave but maybe they can come back one day.

Even with a renovated terminal I doubt any airline will be back to OGD.
 
User avatar
SLCaviation
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:24 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:38 am

IMO PVU is growing just crazy fast and OGD probably lost all service permanently. Maybe Avelo will add PVU again…
 
flyoregon
Posts: 1004
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:29 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:28 pm

SLCaviation wrote:
IMO PVU is growing just crazy fast and OGD probably lost all service permanently. Maybe Avelo will add PVU again…


Avelo didn’t even start Provo in the first place, and now there will be more competition. Why would adding PVU again be a good idea?
 
sea13
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:58 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:27 pm

flyoregon wrote:
SLCaviation wrote:
IMO PVU is growing just crazy fast and OGD probably lost all service permanently. Maybe Avelo will add PVU again…


Avelo didn’t even start Provo in the first place, and now there will be more competition. Why would adding PVU again be a good idea?

Agree. I don’t think Avelo will ever try PVU again.

I honestly wonder if Avelo will keep BUR long term. BUR didn’t make sense as their LA area airport. I thought LGB made more sense. It’s closer to the popular beach towns and Disneyland, Knotts, etc.
 
Delta28L
Posts: 573
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:00 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:11 pm

sea13 wrote:
flyoregon wrote:
SLCaviation wrote:
IMO PVU is growing just crazy fast and OGD probably lost all service permanently. Maybe Avelo will add PVU again…


Avelo didn’t even start Provo in the first place, and now there will be more competition. Why would adding PVU again be a good idea?

Agree. I don’t think Avelo will ever try PVU again.

I honestly wonder if Avelo will keep BUR long term. BUR didn’t make sense as their LA area airport. I thought LGB made more sense. It’s closer to the popular beach towns and Disneyland, Knotts, etc.


They would need multiple slots at LGB in order for that to work and SWA took a lot of the slots that were up for grabs
 
airlineworker
Posts: 622
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:20 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:10 pm

Delta28L wrote:
sea13 wrote:
flyoregon wrote:

Avelo didn’t even start Provo in the first place, and now there will be more competition. Why would adding PVU again be a good idea?

Agree. I don’t think Avelo will ever try PVU again.

I honestly wonder if Avelo will keep BUR long term. BUR didn’t make sense as their LA area airport. I thought LGB made more sense. It’s closer to the popular beach towns and Disneyland, Knotts, etc.


They would need multiple slots at LGB in order for that to work and SWA took a lot of the slots that were up for grabs


How about ONT? SNA no way as is LGB.
 
TexasAirCorp
Posts: 550
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:24 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:02 pm

sea13 wrote:
flyoregon wrote:
SLCaviation wrote:
IMO PVU is growing just crazy fast and OGD probably lost all service permanently. Maybe Avelo will add PVU again…


Avelo didn’t even start Provo in the first place, and now there will be more competition. Why would adding PVU again be a good idea?

Agree. I don’t think Avelo will ever try PVU again.

I honestly wonder if Avelo will keep BUR long term. BUR didn’t make sense as their LA area airport. I thought LGB made more sense. It’s closer to the popular beach towns and Disneyland, Knotts, etc.


BUR makes some sense as an alternative to LAX; its far closer to the city than ONT/SNA, however as you say it's much further away from the touristy areas that most pax Avelo is targeting would want to go (other than Hollywood). The reason Avelo went for BUR is because it has little domestic competition, especially to secondary markets, however I think they're now beginning to understand why it has so little service.

LGB would make sense however trying to establish a decent presence there in a relatively short period of time is impossible with the slot restrictions. IMHO Avelo would be best placed at SNA, yes it's more competitive, however it has better access to the areas mentioned above, and isn't too far from LA itself.
 
airlineworker
Posts: 622
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:20 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:28 pm

TexasAirCorp wrote:
sea13 wrote:
flyoregon wrote:

Avelo didn’t even start Provo in the first place, and now there will be more competition. Why would adding PVU again be a good idea?

Agree. I don’t think Avelo will ever try PVU again.

I honestly wonder if Avelo will keep BUR long term. BUR didn’t make sense as their LA area airport. I thought LGB made more sense. It’s closer to the popular beach towns and Disneyland, Knotts, etc.


BUR makes some sense as an alternative to LAX; its far closer to the city than ONT/SNA, however as you say it's much further away from the touristy areas that most pax Avelo is targeting would want to go (other than Hollywood). The reason Avelo went for BUR is because it has little domestic competition, especially to secondary markets, however I think they're now beginning to understand why it has so little service.

LGB would make sense however trying to establish a decent presence there in a relatively short period of time is impossible with the slot restrictions. IMHO Avelo would be best placed at SNA, yes it's more competitive, however it has better access to the areas mentioned above, and isn't too far from LA itself.


Doesn't SNA have slots or a fixed number of daily flights?
 
Wneast
Posts: 1687
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:37 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:38 pm

So what’s up with the MCO base doesn’t it open soon? More flights ?
 
sea13
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:58 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:26 pm

TexasAirCorp wrote:
sea13 wrote:
flyoregon wrote:

Avelo didn’t even start Provo in the first place, and now there will be more competition. Why would adding PVU again be a good idea?

Agree. I don’t think Avelo will ever try PVU again.

I honestly wonder if Avelo will keep BUR long term. BUR didn’t make sense as their LA area airport. I thought LGB made more sense. It’s closer to the popular beach towns and Disneyland, Knotts, etc.


BUR makes some sense as an alternative to LAX; its far closer to the city than ONT/SNA, however as you say it's much further away from the touristy areas that most pax Avelo is targeting would want to go (other than Hollywood). The reason Avelo went for BUR is because it has little domestic competition, especially to secondary markets, however I think they're now beginning to understand why it has so little service.

LGB would make sense however trying to establish a decent presence there in a relatively short period of time is impossible with the slot restrictions. IMHO Avelo would be best placed at SNA, yes it's more competitive, however it has better access to the areas mentioned above, and isn't too far from LA itself.

With LGB and SNA have their own type of restrictions, maybe LAX would’ve been the best option. But that’s questionable as well

I think Avelo starting ops on the west coast was the wrong move. They should’ve started their business connecting the northeast to Florida.
 
caribbeanSwag
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:30 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:02 am

Wneast wrote:
So what’s up with the MCO base doesn’t it open soon? More flights ?


I wonder if the new 738 will be stationed at MCO
 
Cardude2
Posts: 769
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 1:55 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:32 am

airlineworker wrote:
Delta28L wrote:
sea13 wrote:
Agree. I don’t think Avelo will ever try PVU again.

I honestly wonder if Avelo will keep BUR long term. BUR didn’t make sense as their LA area airport. I thought LGB made more sense. It’s closer to the popular beach towns and Disneyland, Knotts, etc.


They would need multiple slots at LGB in order for that to work and SWA took a lot of the slots that were up for grabs


How about ONT? SNA no way as is LGB.


ONT is pretty much all taken. The only other possibility might be SBD but that might be taken up by breeze
 
Wneast
Posts: 1687
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:37 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:37 am

Cardude2 wrote:
airlineworker wrote:
Delta28L wrote:

They would need multiple slots at LGB in order for that to work and SWA took a lot of the slots that were up for grabs


How about ONT? SNA no way as is LGB.


ONT is pretty much all taken. The only other possibility might be SBD but that might be taken up by breeze

How is ONT full from WN ?
 
User avatar
11725Flyer
Posts: 1476
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 4:51 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:39 am

airlineworker wrote:
TexasAirCorp wrote:
sea13 wrote:
Agree. I don’t think Avelo will ever try PVU again.

I honestly wonder if Avelo will keep BUR long term. BUR didn’t make sense as their LA area airport. I thought LGB made more sense. It’s closer to the popular beach towns and Disneyland, Knotts, etc.


BUR makes some sense as an alternative to LAX; its far closer to the city than ONT/SNA, however as you say it's much further away from the touristy areas that most pax Avelo is targeting would want to go (other than Hollywood). The reason Avelo went for BUR is because it has little domestic competition, especially to secondary markets, however I think they're now beginning to understand why it has so little service.

LGB would make sense however trying to establish a decent presence there in a relatively short period of time is impossible with the slot restrictions. IMHO Avelo would be best placed at SNA, yes it's more competitive, however it has better access to the areas mentioned above, and isn't too far from LA itself.


Doesn't SNA have slots or a fixed number of daily flights?


Yes to both. You can also Google it for more in-depth information.
 
Cardude2
Posts: 769
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 1:55 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:06 am

Wneast wrote:
Cardude2 wrote:
airlineworker wrote:

How about ONT? SNA no way as is LGB.


ONT is pretty much all taken. The only other possibility might be SBD but that might be taken up by breeze

How is ONT full from WN ?


no its full by everyone being there
 
Wneast
Posts: 1687
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:37 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:08 am

Cardude2 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
Cardude2 wrote:

ONT is pretty much all taken. The only other possibility might be SBD but that might be taken up by breeze

How is ONT full from WN ?


no its full by everyone being there

Don’t they have a lot of gates I doubt it’s full they just would be screwed with WN but that would be like everywhere lol.
 
sea13
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:58 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:35 am

Wneast wrote:
Cardude2 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
How is ONT full from WN ?


no its full by everyone being there

Don’t they have a lot of gates I doubt it’s full they just would be screwed with WN but that would be like everywhere lol.

Like I said Avelo needs to leave the west/west coast and focus on their east coast operation.
 
nine4nine
Posts: 940
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:44 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:16 pm

They’re barely a 1yr old airline that a vast majority of LA residents dont even know it exists. I was in a corporate meeting in LA last week and some of our staff were flying back to where they were from out of BUR. The discussion came up about some airline named “Avuelo” which nobody have ever heard of but were saying oh I hear they fly to Oregon or something to that manner.

For 70-80% load factors on non daily routes from a 1 year old airline that most people haven’t heard of or knows exists I think they’re doing just fine and will be doing much better. Perhaps if they focused more on larger markets like the HVN routes they’d for sure get those numbers up. But they now have a really bad ass neon billboard up on the Sunset Strip.

Let’s not forget HVN flies to major routes, has no “LAX” nearby other than a few hours drive to JFK so the numbers there will of course be really good.

I’d love to see them add larger markets like SAT, ELP, BLI, COS, OMA,
 
airlineworker
Posts: 622
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:20 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:49 am

nine4nine wrote:
They’re barely a 1yr old airline that a vast majority of LA residents dont even know it exists. I was in a corporate meeting in LA last week and some of our staff were flying back to where they were from out of BUR. The discussion came up about some airline named “Avuelo” which nobody have ever heard of but were saying oh I hear they fly to Oregon or something to that manner.

For 70-80% load factors on non daily routes from a 1 year old airline that most people haven’t heard of or knows exists I think they’re doing just fine and will be doing much better. Perhaps if they focused more on larger markets like the HVN routes they’d for sure get those numbers up. But they now have a really bad ass neon billboard up on the Sunset Strip.

Let’s not forget HVN flies to major routes, has no “LAX” nearby other than a few hours drive to JFK so the numbers there will of course be really good.

I’d love to see them add larger markets like SAT, ELP, BLI, COS, OMA,


BUR loads may be good, but yields per seat mean a lot. I remember EA during chapter 11 had good loads with $139.00 R/T's but a few months later folded. I see fuel costs as now as the biggest problems airlines face and oil keeps rising.
 
airlinepeanuts
Posts: 297
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:16 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:46 am

airlineworker wrote:
nine4nine wrote:
They’re barely a 1yr old airline that a vast majority of LA residents dont even know it exists. I was in a corporate meeting in LA last week and some of our staff were flying back to where they were from out of BUR. The discussion came up about some airline named “Avuelo” which nobody have ever heard of but were saying oh I hear they fly to Oregon or something to that manner.

For 70-80% load factors on non daily routes from a 1 year old airline that most people haven’t heard of or knows exists I think they’re doing just fine and will be doing much better. Perhaps if they focused more on larger markets like the HVN routes they’d for sure get those numbers up. But they now have a really bad ass neon billboard up on the Sunset Strip.

Let’s not forget HVN flies to major routes, has no “LAX” nearby other than a few hours drive to JFK so the numbers there will of course be really good.

I’d love to see them add larger markets like SAT, ELP, BLI, COS, OMA,


BUR loads may be good, but yields per seat mean a lot. I remember EA during chapter 11 had good loads with $139.00 R/T's but a few months later folded. I see fuel costs as now as the biggest problems airlines face and oil keeps rising.


Yes, I remember asking network planning once why a route was pulled when the flight had a 90% LF. Their response was, it’s full, but full with what kind of fares? You can fill a plane easily with $69 fares but what kind of money are you making and can you use that airframe better elsewhere? Raise the price? People will go to another airport to fly Southwest for 69$
 
JAGMedia
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:52 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:46 pm

N803XT has been transferred to the East Coast. 801 and 802 remain in BUR as their 2 aircraft.
 
caribbeanSwag
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:30 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:09 pm

JAGMedia wrote:
N803XT has been transferred to the East Coast. 801 and 802 remain in BUR as their 2 aircraft.


Orlando? I guess N804VL will also be based in Orlando? And thus BUR and MCO will ultimately operate with two 738s each?
 
hiflyeras
Posts: 2481
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:48 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:29 pm

Their yields aren’t going to be helped by the 50% off sale they announced today.

https://www.news-journal.com/avelo-airl ... a46d6.html
 
sea13
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:58 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:31 am

I think it’s clearly time for Avelo to cut their losses at BUR and close shop there.
 
JAGMedia
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:52 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:07 am

lippaim wrote:
ctavgeek33 wrote:
Is a sixth plane coming this summer to HVN? I recall hearing that six planes were to be based there. 5 planes seems pretty low for the number of destinations and frequencies.



It can reasonably be expected that N7837A (former WN bird) will join the Avelo fleet soon. It is currently at SBD, which is where some of their other planes have gone for outfitting.

http://www.airlinefleet.info/images/pro ... b737ng.pdf

N7837A just departed SBD enrt MCO.
 
caribbeanSwag
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:30 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:22 am

N805VL just announced

If there are only 2 737-800s now operating at BUR, I guess this means all new 738s are going to MCO? They would total 3 in MCO and 2 in BUR.
 
JAGMedia
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:52 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:31 am

caribbeanSwag wrote:
N805VL just announced

If there are only 2 737-800s now operating at BUR, I guess this means all new 738s are going to MCO? They would total 3 in MCO and 2 in BUR.

Likely, from what I heard.
 
phllax
Posts: 779
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:53 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:16 am

2 in BUR sounds right. When I drove by on Vineland last Saturday on the way to the Business Costco there was one parked and the other was in service.
 
ctavgeek33
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:49 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:46 pm

Avelo is using N803XT for 2x daily flights from MCO to HVN and back. Interesting, since I was previously under the impression that the runway at HVN was too short to support full-capacity 800 service.
 
Smarcus
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:12 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:38 am

They’re putting capacity of the 800 from HVN at 167 passengers due to the short runway. HVN to MCO is currently 3x daily so maybe using the 700 for one of the flights.
 
CairnterriAIR
Posts: 861
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:52 am

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:46 am

Smarcus wrote:
They’re putting capacity of the 800 from HVN at 167 passengers due to the short runway. HVN to MCO is currently 3x daily so maybe using the 700 for one of the flights.


Just checked Flightaware….on the days there are two MCO flights, 738’s are used on both trips. On the days where there are three flights..it’s two 738’s and one 737. Lots of lift from Haven to the Mouse House.
 
beertrucker
Posts: 252
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:13 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:48 am

I wish a plane spotter was around HVN. I would love to see the 800 there. In pics or video. I grew up in New Haven. It is great seeing this service. I still remember night time rush there when I was 16. Bex had a mix of planes as well as Continental ATR 42’s united EMB-120 to Dulles and United 737-300 to Chicago I think there was USAir express or Allegheny then.
 
SFOformerFA
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:41 pm

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:12 am

You might be able to see the video here of the 737-800 taking off recently: https://www.facebook.com/tweedfacts/vid ... e_internal

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos