Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

usflyer msp

Re: Avelo Airlines starts service to ILM

Wed May 04, 2022 2:49 am

airlineworker wrote:
ScottB wrote:
drdisque wrote:
I'm sorry - I don't see HVN having enough traffic.

BWI is iffy because it definitely is driveable. MCO should be a slam dunk. Summer seasonal MDW might work in the future.

Yeah, I don't see the market for HVN-ILM. CT has beaches that are probably comparable to NC beaches and the viable beach season in NC is not that much longer. HVN doesn't work as an alternate for NYC.

And I agree on BWI as well. If you're going to have to rent a car at either end, you're gonna be a lot better-off driving and going on your own schedule, particularly if you're going to or from somewhere closer to DC.

The beaches in CT are on Long Island sound. Not comparable to beaches on the Atlantic. The sound's water quality is not as good as the Atlantic. I lived for many years in a CT shoreline town and always looked forward to going to the Caribbean every year to enjoy pristine water. CT does not have that. HVN works as an alternative to BDL.

I don't see BDL-ILM being successful either so I don't think it needs an alternative.

sprxUSA

Re: Avelo Airlines starts service to ILM

Wed May 04, 2022 4:09 am

Maybe construction workers flying into ILM after each season's hurricanes roll thru to rebuild the rebuilt houses.
One city I would never build a nice shoreline house as it'll be gone within 4 years....

JAGMedia

Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Wed May 04, 2022 3:28 pm

N707VL leaving BUR to be repositioned at HVN. XP9800.

ctavgeek33

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Wed May 04, 2022 6:43 pm

Is a sixth plane coming this summer to HVN? I recall hearing that six planes were to be based there. 5 planes seems pretty low for the number of destinations and frequencies.

lippaim

Thu May 05, 2022 2:48 pm

Judging by Avelo's most recent Instagram stories, the jetway at HVN was in use for this morning's inaugural flight to MYR.

lippaim

Thu May 05, 2022 7:20 pm

ctavgeek33 wrote:
Is a sixth plane coming this summer to HVN? I recall hearing that six planes were to be based there. 5 planes seems pretty low for the number of destinations and frequencies.

It can reasonably be expected that N7837A (former WN bird) will join the Avelo fleet soon. It is currently at SBD, which is where some of their other planes have gone for outfitting.

http://www.airlinefleet.info/images/pro ... b737ng.pdf

dabpit

Mon May 09, 2022 8:16 pm

In addition to HVN, CHS, BWI, and ILM.
Possible options are ERI (Erie), BHM (Birmingham), GRB (Green Bay), JAN (Jackson MS), ORH (Worcester), and BTR (Baton Rouge).

lippaim

Tue May 10, 2022 1:14 pm

dabpit wrote:
Possible options are ERI (Erie), BHM (Birmingham), GRB (Green Bay), JAN (Jackson MS), ORH (Worcester), and BTR (Baton Rouge).

I wonder if there are plans for anywhere in North Florida. I'm moving to Tallahassee from the HVN area and would really love to utilize Avelo's services for holiday travel. There's also quite a bit of collaboration between multiple departments from Yale and FSU, with a lot of students either coming up north or going down south for internships or higher level degrees. TLH might be a longshot, as it's known in the area for being rather expensive, but JAX seems like it could work just in terms of overall pax traffic, maybe PNS.

TexasAirCorp

Tue May 10, 2022 1:23 pm

lippaim wrote:
dabpit wrote:

I wonder if there are plans for anywhere in North Florida. I'm moving to Tallahassee from the HVN area and would really love to utilize Avelo's services for holiday travel. There's also quite a bit of collaboration between multiple departments from Yale and FSU, with a lot of students either coming up north or going down south for internships or higher level degrees. TLH might be a longshot, as it's known in the area for being rather expensive, but JAX seems like it could work just in terms of overall pax traffic, maybe PNS.

Avelo seems to be able to make any decent leisure destination work from HVN. JAX I think is pretty likely at some point in the future, PNS possibly. Long shot, but maybe even UST?

LotsaRunway

Tue May 10, 2022 2:26 pm

dabpit wrote:

I've seen ERI pop up as a possible destination several times in this thread and I wonder what puts it on this list? It's a pretty small market that lost out at a chance for Allegient a number of years ago because its runway was too short, so they went to nearby airports instead.

n471wn

Tue May 10, 2022 6:37 pm

Does anyone know why N802XT has been at San Bernardino for the last 8 days?

UA444

Tue May 10, 2022 8:04 pm

How are their RDD flights doing?

Goldenshield

Tue May 10, 2022 11:18 pm

n471wn wrote:

SBD has a couple heavy maintenance MROs. I would assume it's there for a heavy check.

n471wn

Wed May 11, 2022 12:37 am

Goldenshield wrote:
n471wn wrote:

SBD has a couple heavy maintenance MROs. I would assume it's there for a heavy check.

I thought of that as well but it was delivered off a C Check so no way a D is due yet.

Goldenshield

Wed May 11, 2022 12:55 am

n471wn wrote:
Goldenshield wrote:
n471wn wrote:

I thought of that as well but it was delivered off a C Check so no way a D is due yet.

Agreed, but given the lack of space at BUR, it could be anything that couldn't be done with overnight maintenance.

NJFlyer27

Wed May 11, 2022 1:40 am

TexasAirCorp wrote:
lippaim wrote:
dabpit wrote:

Avelo seems to be able to make any decent leisure destination work from HVN. JAX I think is pretty likely at some point in the future, PNS possibly. Long shot, but maybe even UST?

UST could be a good focus city for them. St Augustine is a popular tourist destination and I could see them potentially adding flights from HVN, MDW and BWI.

Would they consider flights to PHF? AirTran had a very successful operation for many years. Maybe a few flights a week to PHF from HVN.

airlineworker

Wed May 11, 2022 1:51 am

lippaim wrote:
dabpit wrote:

JAX is not so much a tourist destination but it entails a large market area that includes some of Georgia. HVN-JAX 3-4 weekly flights should do well.

PennPal

Wed May 11, 2022 4:25 pm

LotsaRunway wrote:
dabpit wrote:

I've seen ERI pop up as a possible destination several times in this thread and I wonder what puts it on this list? It's a pretty small market that lost out at a chance for Allegient a number of years ago because its runway was too short, so they went to nearby airports instead.

Erie makes sense since it's positioned perfectly between Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Their runway has been lengthened to 8400' I believe so that shouldn't be a factor anymore.

AVLAirlineFreq

Wed May 11, 2022 8:29 pm

PennPal wrote:

Erie makes sense since it's positioned perfectly between Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Their runway has been lengthened to 8400' I believe so that shouldn't be a factor anymore.

Are you referring to the possibility of attracting passengers from those markets to Erie?

Italianflyer

Wed May 11, 2022 9:43 pm

With all due respect, what does the Erie metro economy bring to the table for Avelo? It's not a high desposible income area. It seems to me that the leisure travelers from that region would be looking more at an all-inclusive package provider like Allegiant Travel Group vs. a cheap ride to Florida. As for geography, there is no shortage of ULCCs or LCCs in BUF, CLE or PIT.

airlineworker

Wed May 11, 2022 10:10 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
PennPal wrote:

Are you referring to the possibility of attracting passengers from those markets to Erie?

Buffalo 92 miles, Cleveland 102 miles, Pittsburg 127 miles. Not exactly nearby.

sea13

Wed May 11, 2022 10:40 pm

Italianflyer wrote:
With all due respect, what does the Erie metro economy bring to the table for Avelo? It's not a high desposible income area. It seems to me that the leisure travelers from that region would be looking more at an all-inclusive package provider like Allegiant Travel Group vs. a cheap ride to Florida. As for geography, there is no shortage of ULCCs or LCCs in BUF, CLE or PIT.

Exactly. I think people here believe since ERI doesn’t have any airline service, is situated around metropolitan areas (like HVN) that Aveo will automatically look at ERI and want to bring service there. Like you said, the ERI economy brings absolutely nothing.

PennPal

Thu May 12, 2022 1:05 am

sea13 wrote:
Italianflyer wrote:

Exactly. I think people here believe since ERI doesn’t have any airline service, is situated around metropolitan areas (like HVN) that Aveo will automatically look at ERI and want to bring service there. Like you said, the ERI economy brings absolutely nothing.

Erie does have airline service...United to Chicago and American to Charlotte. Just because Erie is XX amount of miles from Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Cleveland doesn't mean potential passengers using ERI live that far away. I know many people in the area that travel all those miles to catch a flight out of those three cities. I don't see why an airline offering nonstops to Florida wouldn't be successful in Erie.

Delta28L

Thu May 12, 2022 1:49 am

sea13 wrote:
Italianflyer wrote:

Erie doesn’t need a daily leisure airline. Once or twice a week during the slow travel season and a third weekly flight would be enough for leisure service for Erie

Buffalomatt1027

Thu May 12, 2022 2:57 pm

PennPal wrote:
sea13 wrote:
Italianflyer wrote:

Erie does have airline service...United to Chicago and American to Charlotte. Just because Erie is XX amount of miles from Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Cleveland doesn't mean potential passengers using ERI live that far away. I know many people in the area that travel all those miles to catch a flight out of those three cities. I don't see why an airline offering nonstops to Florida wouldn't be successful in Erie.

I am not driving from Buffalo to Erie for a direct flight to Florida. I dont see many people from Buffalo making that drive either.

LHUSA

Thu May 12, 2022 3:40 pm

Any insight to how the MDW flights are booking?

PennPal

Thu May 12, 2022 4:02 pm

Buffalomatt1027 wrote:
PennPal wrote:
sea13 wrote:

I am not driving from Buffalo to Erie for a direct flight to Florida. I dont see many people from Buffalo making that drive either.

You're missing my point. I'm not saying people will drive from Buffalo proper to Erie to catch a flight (although people DO drive from Erie to Buffalo to catch one, so what's the big deal??), I'm saying that, with attractive fares and convenient departure times, people who live BETWEEN Erie and Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Cleveland would be receptive to driving to Erie if they can save money and time with less of a hassle going through TSA. Honestly, how many travelers limit themselves to their local airport if they can fly cheaper from one more distant?? I have relatives who live in NE Pennsylvania that bypass AVP, ABE, PHL and MDT to catch a flight out of BWI because the fares are sometimes cheaper there. Saying people won't make the drive from the Buffalo area to Erie to potentially save money and get to their destination at a more attractive time is being pretty narrow-minded...

PennPal

Thu May 12, 2022 5:04 pm

airlineworker wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
PennPal wrote:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Are you implying that a traveler will not ever consider driving to a distant airport even if the fare/itinerary is cheaper/more convenient than at their local airport?? Or are you saying residents of those three cities all live downtown and none of them reside closer to Erie than the mileages you listed and therefore ERI cannot possibly be a viable option??

Buffalomatt1027

Thu May 12, 2022 7:33 pm

PennPal wrote:
Buffalomatt1027 wrote:
PennPal wrote:

You're missing my point. I'm not saying people will drive from Buffalo proper to Erie to catch a flight (although people DO drive from Erie to Buffalo to catch one, so what's the big deal??), I'm saying that, with attractive fares and convenient departure times, people who live BETWEEN Erie and Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Cleveland would be receptive to driving to Erie if they can save money and time with less of a hassle going through TSA. Honestly, how many travelers limit themselves to their local airport if they can fly cheaper from one more distant?? I have relatives who live in NE Pennsylvania that bypass AVP, ABE, PHL and MDT to catch a flight out of BWI because the fares are sometimes cheaper there. Saying people won't make the drive from the Buffalo area to Erie to potentially save money and get to their destination at a more attractive time is being pretty narrow-minded...

People drive up from Erie, Niagara Falls, Rochester, and part of southern Canada to fly out to Buffalo / BNIA because the flights to Florida are ALREADY CHEAPER. Southwest, Jetblue, Frontier, and if you really want, Allegiant out of the falls are cheap options.

People from Erie come to due flight Frequency. Right now Erie has 3 flights for the entire day starting at 4:30 PM, 9:20 PM, and 10:36 PM flying to Chicago and Charlotte. MOST people going on vacations, they have to flight out early in the morning to catch a connecting flight. CANT DO THAT at Erie or you have to fly somewhere a day earlier and spend a night in a hotel to get a connecting flight the next morning.

Apparently, I am narrowminded LOLLLLLLL

SBAer

Thu May 12, 2022 11:32 pm

Is there a list of which airports Avelo serves on what days somewhere?

LotsaRunway

Fri May 13, 2022 1:27 am

Buffalomatt1027 wrote:
PennPal wrote:
Buffalomatt1027 wrote:

People drive up from Erie, Niagara Falls, Rochester, and part of southern Canada to fly out to Buffalo / BNIA because the flights to Florida are ALREADY CHEAPER. Southwest, Jetblue, Frontier, and if you really want, Allegiant out of the falls are cheap options.

People from Erie come to due flight Frequency. Right now Erie has 3 flights for the entire day starting at 4:30 PM, 9:20 PM, and 10:36 PM flying to Chicago and Charlotte. MOST people going on vacations, they have to flight out early in the morning to catch a connecting flight. CANT DO THAT at Erie or you have to fly somewhere a day earlier and spend a night in a hotel to get a connecting flight the next morning.

I don’t have a horse in this race other than having flown out of ERI in the past. Nice little place, but I don’t know what you are talking about with the only 3 flights and they are all 4:30 pm and after. Just looking at today in FlightAware:
6:16am CLT
7:29am ORD
1:56pm CLT
5:10pm ORD

Not exactly a lot, but certainly not all departing late in the day including at 9:30 and 10:36pm where someone connecting has to overnight enroute.

Seems reasonable to me that the airport could support several weekly flights to popular locations if they can appeal to people who normally travel from the Erie area to other nearby airports. IMHO, Making it work as a focus city would take some pretty impressive marketing.

airlineworker

Fri May 13, 2022 3:16 am

PennPal wrote:
airlineworker wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Are you implying that a traveler will not ever consider driving to a distant airport even if the fare/itinerary is cheaper/more convenient than at their local airport?? Or are you saying residents of those three cities all live downtown and none of them reside closer to Erie than the mileages you listed and therefore ERI cannot possibly be a viable option??

"Are you implying that a traveler will not ever consider driving to a distant airport even if the fare/itinerary is cheaper/more convenient than at their local airport?" Why travel 100 or more miles to depart from a smaller airport with fewer flights and fewer airlines? BUF, CLE and PIT have low cost carriers and any fare difference would be minor and would not be more convenient. I could not see people from those 3 cities making a long drive to ERI.

CairnterriAIR

Fri May 13, 2022 3:17 am

Thinking outside of the box….HVN-BDA. I’m thinking SJU is a when rather than an if.

Buffalomatt1027

Fri May 13, 2022 1:49 pm

LotsaRunway wrote:
Buffalomatt1027 wrote:
PennPal wrote:

I don’t have a horse in this race other than having flown out of ERI in the past. Nice little place, but I don’t know what you are talking about with the only 3 flights and they are all 4:30 pm and after. Just looking at today in FlightAware:

Not exactly a lot, but certainly not all departing late in the day including at 9:30 and 10:36pm where someone connecting has to overnight enroute.

Seems reasonable to me that the airport could support several weekly flights to popular locations if they can appeal to people who normally travel from the Erie area to other nearby airports. IMHO, Making it work as a focus city would take some pretty impressive marketing.

Okay, you are correct. Originally, I checked Flightradar and clicked on the airport. The flight times I mentioned were the only flights that showed up!

My point still stands that Erie has far less frequency than flying out of BNIA / Buffalo.

Erie to Orlando - 536 round trip in August
Buffalo to Orlando - 349, 360, and 398 round trip in August, same dates as Erie

bloxomo

Fri May 13, 2022 2:56 pm

LotsaRunway wrote:
dabpit wrote:

Of your list, I like BTR the most since it doesn't already have service to Florida. BHM, GRB, JAN, and ORH would have competition, although that hasn't stopped Avelo from trying BWI-MCO.

Here's one of the earlier mentions of ERI you probably saw.

SaabFA71 wrote:
Any guesses what the next East Coast base will be for Avelo? Here are a few candidate cities that could do well with flights to Florida and sun destinations: AVP, MDT, ERI, HGR, ILG, PHF. I'm just throwing these out there. I know that terminal size constraints at HGR and ILG could be an issue similar to what HVN is dealing with it's small terminal. AVP has no ULCC service and could do fine with folks not willing to drive to NYC. MDT has Allegiant but sometimes the flights aren't timed well enough or conducive especially if you're looking to do a long weekend. ERI has no ULCC service and could be an alternative to driving to PIT, CLE, or BUF. PHF could be a mirror opposite to what ORF offers with Breeze. I'd say if any of these cities are marketed properly they could be viable.

I thought that explanation made sense -- ERI has limited service on the majors to hubs, and is located far enough from major airports to capture people who don't want to bother with the long drive. It's a reasonable size -- not big or rich enough for a base, I think -- but it should be able to support less-than-daily nonstop service to Avelo's new base at MCO. How does Erie compare to Youngstown? It looks like the metro area populations are comparable. Allegiant was at G4 for a while with 3 destinations and was able to manage about 100 passengers per day total. Of course, G4 ended service at YNG a while ago, but YNG is a lot closer to CAK and CLE than ERI is.

But I thought Scranton/Wilkes-Barre was an even better choice -- although AVP has about twice the frequency to majors' hubs that ERI has, it has a higher population in the general area.

PennPal

Fri May 13, 2022 5:46 pm

Buffalomatt1027 wrote:
PennPal wrote:
Buffalomatt1027 wrote:

Now you're proving my point! ERI having such limited service and lack of direct competition would make it that much more appealing for an airline like Avelo to consider flying there. In addition: if, for instance, they started serving BUF/IAG, they certainly wouldn't draw customers from the Cleveland or Pittsburgh areas, nor would they draw customers from Buffalo and Cleveland if they started serving PIT, nor customers from Buffalo or Pittsburgh if they starting serving CLE. ERI, being perfectly situated between those three cities could draw passengers from all those areas. And I'm sure it would also be more appealing to passengers to depart/arrive at an airport less congested than BUF, PIT or CLE. Just look what happened at PGD when Allegiant arrived.

airlinepeanuts

Fri May 13, 2022 5:56 pm

Love how this has become a thread about a small airport in Pennsylvania

PennPal

Fri May 13, 2022 6:18 pm

airlineworker wrote:
PennPal wrote:
airlineworker wrote:

"Are you implying that a traveler will not ever consider driving to a distant airport even if the fare/itinerary is cheaper/more convenient than at their local airport?" Why travel 100 or more miles to depart from a smaller airport with fewer flights and fewer airlines? BUF, CLE and PIT have low cost carriers and any fare difference would be minor and would not be more convenient. I could not see people from those 3 cities making a long drive to ERI.

By that post you just described Avelo's operation in HVN!! How many airlines served HVN before Avelo's arrival?? How many miles do travelers drive to get to New Haven?? Do they not draw from the metro NYC/Boston/Providence areas?? Aren't those cities quite a distance from New Haven?? Hasn't that operation been very successful? If Avelo started serving ERI, the city would have another airline offering more flights! And with TSA backups as frequent as they are, who wouldn't want to depart from a smaller airport?? As I said in my post, I'm not implying someone will drive from downtown Buffalo, Pittsburgh, or Cleveland to ERI to catch a flight. But, what I AM saying, is that someone who lives halfway between ERI and BUF or CLE on I-90, or halfway between ERI and PIT on I-79 could have ANOTHER option to consider without having to drive any further. I'm not sure why this concept is so difficult to grasp...
Last edited by PennPal on Fri May 13, 2022 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PennPal

Fri May 13, 2022 6:27 pm

Buffalomatt1027 wrote:
LotsaRunway wrote:
Buffalomatt1027 wrote:

Okay, you are correct. Originally, I checked Flightradar and clicked on the airport. The flight times I mentioned were the only flights that showed up!

My point still stands that Erie has far less frequency than flying out of BNIA / Buffalo.

And logic would have it that an airline offering new roundtrips to Orlando from an airport centrally located between 3 large metropolitan areas would draw travelers from those areas and increase the frequencies from said airport.

ctavgeek33

Fri May 13, 2022 6:56 pm

PennPal wrote:
airlineworker wrote:
PennPal wrote:

By that post you just described Avelo's operation in HVN!! How many airlines served HVN before Avelo's arrival?? How many miles do travelers drive to get to New Haven?? Do they not draw from the metro NYC/Boston/Providence areas?? Aren't those cities quite a distance from New Haven?? Hasn't that operation been very successful? If Avelo started serving ERI, the city would have another airline offering more flights! And with TSA backups as frequent as they are, who wouldn't want to depart from a smaller airport?? As I said in my post, I'm not implying someone will drive from downtown Buffalo, Pittsburgh, or Cleveland to ERI to catch a flight. But, what I AM saying, is that someone who lives halfway between ERI and BUF or CLE on I-90, or halfway between ERI and PIT on I-79 could have ANOTHER option to consider without having to drive any further. I'm not sure why this concept is so difficult to grasp...

Sorry, but you're completely wrong about where HVN draws passengers from. Pretty much NOBODY who lives in Manhattan or Massachusetts drives to New Haven to get flights even if it's a little cheaper. HVN is targeting a MASSIVE local market that previously had to drive longer distances to NY/BOS/BDL. Here are some figures:

-900k in New Haven County
-160k in Middlesex County
-450k in Eastern Fairfield County

That's a local market of 1.5million people, and I didn't even include the Hartford/New London/Stamford areas which no doubt would consider HVN as well.

Erie County has a population of under 300k and is 1/3 as dense as New Haven County. The major metro areas you're suggesting are both 2 hours from ERI - everywhere I said is 45 minutes or less from HVN. In addition, Connecticut is a wealthy state with lots of high-income families that travel frequently and crave convenience. The model used at HVN would not be sustainable at ERI.

airlinepeanuts

Fri May 13, 2022 7:12 pm

PennPal wrote:
Buffalomatt1027 wrote:
LotsaRunway wrote:

And logic would have it that an airline offering new roundtrips to Orlando from an airport centrally located between 3 large metropolitan areas would draw travelers from those areas and increase the frequencies from said airport.

Works like a charm at LGB right!? ;)

OzarkD9S

Fri May 13, 2022 7:53 pm

airlinepeanuts wrote:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/frontier-air ... 35104.html

Then let's change it to a small airport in Delaware. With F9 dropping ILG, any opportunities for Avelo there? I'm not familiar with the Wilmington demographics, but a quick search on Wiki (I know!):

"The Delaware Valley metropolitan area, which includes the cities of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and Camden, New Jersey, had a 2016 population of 6,070,500, and a combined statistical area of 7,179,357."

Not saying the entire metro area would bypass PHL for ILG but there is a decent sized population to draw from if marketed correctly,

Bigant0408

Fri May 13, 2022 8:05 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
airlinepeanuts wrote:

Then let's change it to a small airport in Delaware. With F9 dropping ILG, any opportunities for Avelo there? I'm not familiar with the Wilmington demographics, but a quick search on Wiki (I know!):

"The Delaware Valley metropolitan area, which includes the cities of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and Camden, New Jersey, had a 2016 population of 6,070,500, and a combined statistical area of 7,179,357."

Not saying the entire metro area would bypass PHL for ILG but there is a decent sized population to draw from if marketed correctly,

Based on this Points Guy article from last year Avelo did have an eye on ILG

https://thepointsguy.com/news/avelo-air ... alifornia/

OzarkD9S

Fri May 13, 2022 8:17 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:
airlinepeanuts wrote:

Based on this Points Guy article from last year Avelo did have an eye on ILG

https://thepointsguy.com/news/avelo-air ... alifornia/

I remember reading that but not the specifics. But one quote stands out:

"Trenton, New Jersey, would be nice “if Frontier wasn’t there.” Well, that will soon apply to ILG.

airlineworker

Fri May 13, 2022 8:39 pm

PennPal wrote:
airlineworker wrote:
PennPal wrote:

"By that post you just described Avelo's operation in HVN!!" No, HVN metro population, 862,477, ERI metro population, 266,096 HVN draws from Bridgeport to the south, New London to the north and interior towns in between..

bloxomo

Fri May 13, 2022 9:38 pm

airlineworker wrote:
PennPal wrote:
airlineworker wrote:

"By that post you just described Avelo's operation in HVN!!" No, HVN metro population, 862,477, ERI metro population, 266,096 HVN draws from Bridgeport to the south, New London to the north and interior towns in between..

I had just looked up metro area populations a few days ago and had badly misremembered Erie's total -- I thought it was 200k bigger. I do think it could draw reasonably well from Meadville, Ashtabula, and Jamestown, but not much past that. For comparison, ABE reports that 96% of their passengers come from Lehigh, Northampton, and the 5 immediately adjacent counties that aren't in the direction of PHL.

https://www.flyabe.com/wp-content/uploa ... tion-4.pdf

I think one of the public reports or SCASDP grant applications had some catchment information for HVN, but that was pre-Avelo and I imagine the draw has changed a little. Anyone want to walk the lot with me and count high school stickers on cars or get some other approximation of geographic distribution of passengers at HVN?

Buffalomatt1027

Fri May 13, 2022 10:26 pm

PennPal wrote:
Buffalomatt1027 wrote:
LotsaRunway wrote:

LOL good grief. get over it. Erie is literally in the middle of no where with a tiny population. Passengers arent coming to save 20 bucks on a flight and drive to Erie.

AVLAirlineFreq

Fri May 13, 2022 11:05 pm

Seriously, though, is any carrier ever going to be able to make ILG work permanently?

Wingtips56

Fri May 13, 2022 11:47 pm

airlinepeanuts wrote:

I think some ERI fan boy tossed this out some time back, and it got blown up as real and imminent.

Let's move on and find out what really is happening with Avelo, please.

Blueknows

Sat May 14, 2022 1:04 am

https://downloads.regulations.gov/DOT-O ... ment_1.pdf

They are going to fly out of AVP… also they’ve applied for funds to add flight from HVN to ATL and SJU

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos