Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airlineworker

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:19 am

F27500 wrote:
ORD, ATL, Washington (IAD/DCA), DTW ... yes. . but not on Avelo. Those cities would need to be tackled from HVN by the legacies strongest in those cities. Not Avelo. UA to ORD .. DL to ATL .. UA to IAD .. DL to DTW .. the O&D alone to those cities would no way work from HVN.

Really such a shame about AA leaving HVN too. I connected at DCA a couple of weeks ago on AA and saw nonstops to a a slew of places that surprised me .. PFN, MGM, ACK, MVY, HXD, ECP, BGR, LAN, CAK, JAN. I stood there looking at the screen thinking that HVN really should be there. I hope AA looks again at HVN in the future and reconsiders. Even if its just to that mess that is PHL .. but better .. CLT, DCA or ORD.

I know some might think I am talking about a conspiracy theory, but why did the state fight so hard against HVN extending it's runway? I have no proof or have not heard anything along those lines but why have UA and DL avoided HVN? AA proved CRJ-700's and E-170 and E-175 work off HVN's runway and both UA and DL have plenty in their fleets. AA even used a CRJ-200 to CLT for a while. I saw a breakdown of where flyers in the metro New Haven go to board a flight and it showed 29% go to BDL. The state has motive and now with Avelo coming to HVN starting with 15 weekly flights, that will be felt by BDL and the director of BDL has said both airports should coordinate flights. I never heard of anything like that at other airports. PVD does not coordinate with BOS, BWI does not coordinate with IAD and so on. They all have their markets based on distance. HVN has New Haven and Bridgeport and BDL has Hartford and Springfield as its nearest markets.
When HVN had 3 Dash-8's to PHL, the state was happy with that minimal service. Now we are talking about a huge jump in daily flights on mainline planes seating 147 passengers.
For decades I have used HVN, it's closer and offers a hassle free travel experience. I hope HVN can secure service from DL to ATL and UA to ORD. In 32 days we will see Avelo at HVN and it seems the LCC are the ones growing rapidly. For all in HVN's market, I hope all goes well with Avelo and more airlines will come to HVN.

F27500

Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:05 pm

Took a ride past HVN a couple of days ago and was happy to see quite a bit of activity going on down there re: Avelo preparation. Lots of digging and saw construction work .. also saw a big line of what looked like the modular units that will be added onto the current terminal for checkin, gate and office areas. Very exciting ! I'd post pics but this site makes it too difficult.

dc10lover

Re: United Air’s Former CFO to Launch a New U.S. Budget Airline

Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:16 pm

KRIC777 wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:
KRIC777 wrote:
The US needs another budget airline?

Actually, yes...
There are plenty of airports and routes out there, and any competition for the US4 is welcomed. Competition inspires good customer services, something very lacking on US airlines these days.
The toughest part is getting around the loyalty plans.

True, competition is good, but I think in the US airline industry, competition just inspires lower fares and less service. And it seems like every US airline is already trying to be a "budget" airline anyway.

Actually low fares inspires more competition.

airlineworker

Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:00 am

F27500 wrote:
Took a ride past HVN a couple of days ago and was happy to see quite a bit of activity going on down there re: Avelo preparation. Lots of digging and saw construction work .. also saw a big line of what looked like the modular units that will be added onto the current terminal for checkin, gate and office areas. Very exciting ! I'd post pics but this site makes it too difficult.

You can post the photos on https://www.facebook.com/tweedfacts/

F27500

Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:05 am

already sent!

AndoAv8R

Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:18 pm

Went out to Northern Colorado Regional Airport/KFNL to catch some photos of the inaugural flight today (although yesterday then flew in a 737-800 on what I assume was a practice run flight number was 9500). They flew in a -700 today (N702VL), from what I could tell load looked pretty light, I'd guess inbound/outbound well under 50% capacity. Wish them the best, took my 7yr old daughter whos never seen a 737 that close on approach and she loved it.

FiscAutTecGarte

Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:50 pm

Avelo will server Tucson to Burbank California. Official acknowledgement from Tucson International Airport.

https://www.flytucson.com/articles/avel ... to-tucson/

nws2002

Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:44 pm

spinkid wrote:
At some point they need to connect their operation. I can only think of regional carriers serving EAS communities that have separate ops. The 800's can't fly into HVN, but the 700's can be used to BUR and eventually they will do some other flying into Florida from a city that can handle the 800.
As I was browsing their job offerings I saw a lot of corporate listings in the Houston area. That would be a geographically good stopping point from BUR to Florida.

G4 doesn't connect their bases. Crews and aircraft start and end each day in their assigned base. Aircraft swaps occur between bases when needed, but usually as ferry flights.

WNflyer1523

Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:52 pm

Wneast wrote:
a318 wrote:
I’m hearing that Avelo will be announcing Islip in the coming weeks.

A base there or from HVN ?

If the above rumor is true... assuming it'll be a base there. HVN is just a hop across the sound from ISP, an hour and a half-long ferry ride from Port Jefferson. But where would Avelo fly from ISP? It'll be a bloodbath if they're going to do the same FL routes WN/F9 do

jikei

Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:04 pm

WNflyer1523 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
a318 wrote:
I’m hearing that Avelo will be announcing Islip in the coming weeks.

If the above rumor is true... assuming it'll be a base there. HVN is just a hop across the sound from ISP, an hour and a half-long ferry ride from Port Jefferson. But where would Avelo fly from ISP? It'll be a bloodbath if they're going to do the same FL routes WN/F9 do

I'm hoping someday ISP-CLT. Frontier announced it I think but it never commenced. One can only hope.

WNflyer1523

Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:31 pm

jikei wrote:
WNflyer1523 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

I'm hoping someday ISP-CLT. Frontier announced it I think but it never commenced. One can only hope.

Yup, agreed. Wonder why American doesn’t get on it

AndoAv8R

Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:03 pm

After only a week of serving Northern Colorado Regional Airport it has been announced that they are going to add LAS-FNL:

https://www.reporterherald.com/2021/10/ ... gas-route/

It will be the first time since Allegiant that we have had 2 destinations, going to be exciting to also see 2 flights in the same day. It has also been announced they are going to build a new terminal as well:

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/money/ ... 350523002/

atlcxn

Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:09 am

Saturday and Wednesday flights are not a good combination for Las Vegas flights. Just look how many flights Allegiant has on those days at LAS…. Not many. Unless these days of week are changed this route will fail.

nine4nine

Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:32 pm

How many more airframes are expected the remainder of 2021 and any idea on what they have on order for 2022?

Wneast

Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:47 am

SRQ loaded in at 3x weekly starting January. Does avelo come up with a new route everyday

F27500

Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:02 pm

What amazing and unexpected news this was. That'll make 6 nonstop destinations for us now. New Haven has never has this level of service (or commitment) from any other carrier in the past, so I am so hopeful for their success here! Less than 2 weeks, HVN operations begin! (And i've already got 2 RTs booked!)

sgbroimp

Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:00 pm

Fingers crossed on HVN but no one can be optimistic based on the history. We even once had a feeder over to JFK, but many have tried and then packed up. And this one is an unknown brand to most of the flying public. Very shaky combination in my view.

joeljack

Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:17 pm

atlcxn wrote:
Saturday and Wednesday flights are not a good combination for Las Vegas flights. Just look how many flights Allegiant has on those days at LAS…. Not many. Unless these days of week are changed this route will fail.

For sure! Saturday LAS flights is the lowest day of the week. When doing 2x weekly, needs to be Thursday-Sunday or Friday-Monday.

TexasAirCorp

Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:28 pm

nine4nine wrote:
How many more airframes are expected the remainder of 2021 and any idea on what they have on order for 2022?

Three more 738s are due at some point, apparently they were meant to be delivered by the end of the year but I assume that's no longer the case.

airlineworker

Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:28 pm

sgbroimp wrote:
Fingers crossed on HVN but no one can be optimistic based on the history. We even once had a feeder over to JFK, but many have tried and then packed up. And this one is an unknown brand to most of the flying public. Very shaky combination in my view.

History was clouded with court cases regarding the runway but the SCOTUS has ruled in the airports favor. Add to that the bevy of local, state and federal politicians behind HVN's plan for expansion and an airline willing to commit money and 2-3 737's to its large number of flights and this is a new day for HVN. The New Haven catchment population is similar to Hartford in numbers so the market is here and travelers can avoid the trek to BDL. Still, HVN will need a legacy carrier down the road to provide service to the rest of the country.
The feeder you speak of was Pilgrim airlines with service by Twin Otters, a poor excuse for air travel and no interline agreements other major airlines. Also back then JFK had a small domestic route structure.
This should work well for Avelo, a lot of snow birds in the shoreline area. Alelo bookings seem to be strong as shown by the fares going higher than the starting prices on many flights.

F27500

Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:30 pm

sgbroimp wrote:

That's also what people said about Allegiant (and JetBlue too, for that matter) when they first started .. .and when Frontier started up their highly successful niche operation in Trenton all those years ago. New Haven area is so ready for this .. and if Avelo is successful, hopefully next will be renewed interest by legacies .. especially once the new terminal is completed.

airlineworker

Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:14 pm

sgbroimp wrote:

Southwest started with 3 737's, could be history repeating itself.

F27500

Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:13 pm

Also .. Sarasota nonstop is something BDL doent have! First time i think ever that HVN has something BDL doesn't!

CairnterriAIR

Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:13 pm

airlineworker wrote:
sgbroimp wrote:

History was clouded with court cases regarding the runway but the SCOTUS has ruled in the airports favor. Add to that the bevy of local, state and federal politicians behind HVN's plan for expansion and an airline willing to commit money and 2-3 737's to its large number of flights and this is a new day for HVN. The New Haven catchment population is similar to Hartford in numbers so the market is here and travelers can avoid the trek to BDL. Still, HVN will need a legacy carrier down the road to provide service to the rest of the country.
The feeder you speak of was Pilgrim airlines with service by Twin Otters, a poor excuse for air travel and no interline agreements other major airlines. Also back then JFK had a small domestic route structure.
This should work well for Avelo, a lot of snow birds in the shoreline area. Alelo bookings seem to be strong as shown by the fares going higher than the starting prices on many flights.

I think the legacies are waiting for the runway expansion to take place. I would guess and say that Delta would be the most likely...they have 220’s that could make the trips to both ATL and DTW. Large enough planes to capture leisure travelers and fill with lower competitive fares. (At this stage business travel is still down). Delta is well known in Connecticut as well with a large FF base. Even if business travel picks up, I can’t see UA or AA coming in any time soon. The 550 regional jets would be too costly to operate against a based low cost carrier with 737’s. That and they would rather folks drive to New York or Hartford. Runway expansion would be a must. I’m guessing there will be Allegiant service very soon....and don’t overlook Frontier either.

FlyingSicilian

Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:17 am

Any updates on serving Houston? ...for IAH or HOU (or EFD or Conroe or Sugar Land or even Galveston LOL) I realise that being headquartered in Houston does not mean they must fly there, but presumed at some point sooner rather than later they might. Though their mailbox is a UPS store across from Lamar High School, so I am not sure how big the footprint is in town. Anyway just curious for any new Houston or even just Texas rumours.

airlineworker

Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:07 am

CairnterriAIR wrote:
airlineworker wrote:
sgbroimp wrote:

I think the legacies are waiting for the runway expansion to take place. I would guess and say that Delta would be the most likely...they have 220’s that could make the trips to both ATL and DTW. Large enough planes to capture leisure travelers and fill with lower competitive fares. (At this stage business travel is still down). Delta is well known in Connecticut as well with a large FF base. Even if business travel picks up, I can’t see UA or AA coming in any time soon. The 550 regional jets would be too costly to operate against a based low cost carrier with 737’s. That and they would rather folks drive to New York or Hartford. Runway expansion would be a must. I’m guessing there will be Allegiant service very soon....and don’t overlook Frontier either.

I don't see where if UA had HVN-ORD service that would suffer from Avelo and their Florida service. People need to get to LAX, SFO, IAH, etc, something Avelo cannot do. Allegiant talked for years on coming to HVN and never did anything. To add a UCC at HVN at this time would not work. Avelo has Florida well covered now. Avelo is not using the jet bridge at HVN so it lies unused at present, a good opportunity for UA or DL to add 3 daily flights to ORD or ATL.

alohaislandair

Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:57 pm

Avelo will no longer be coming to Provo (PVU).

https://thepointsguy.com/news/avelo-air ... ments/amp/

ScottB

Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:07 am

CairnterriAIR wrote:
I think the legacies are waiting for the runway expansion to take place. I would guess and say that Delta would be the most likely...they have 220’s that could make the trips to both ATL and DTW. Large enough planes to capture leisure travelers and fill with lower competitive fares. (At this stage business travel is still down). Delta is well known in Connecticut as well with a large FF base.

Delta is not coming to HVN to chase leisure travelers at low fares. To places not served by Avelo, they'll attract passengers at BDL or LGA and have better unit costs at those airports. In markets served by Avelo from HVN, it's unprofitable to chase passengers with connecting itineraries when Avelo is going to be the market participant with pricing power. It might be another story if Delta were desperate for places to send its domestic fleet, but they're not.

airlineworker

Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:30 pm

ScottB wrote:
CairnterriAIR wrote:
I think the legacies are waiting for the runway expansion to take place. I would guess and say that Delta would be the most likely...they have 220’s that could make the trips to both ATL and DTW. Large enough planes to capture leisure travelers and fill with lower competitive fares. (At this stage business travel is still down). Delta is well known in Connecticut as well with a large FF base.

Delta is not coming to HVN to chase leisure travelers at low fares. To places not served by Avelo, they'll attract passengers at BDL or LGA and have better unit costs at those airports. In markets served by Avelo from HVN, it's unprofitable to chase passengers with connecting itineraries when Avelo is going to be the market participant with pricing power. It might be another story if Delta were desperate for places to send its domestic fleet, but they're not.

DL would not come to HVN to chase leisure travelers only, If DL can attract the same type of people to BDL, why would it not work at HVN? Avelo is only doing Florida, that leaves the rest of the country to attract flyers to. New Haven and Hartford have similar population numbers so if it works for BDL, it could work for HVN. The shoreline has a higher per capita income base and why travel almost to Massachusetts when HVN is near and right next to I-95. Years back New Haven was listed as one of the most underserved markets for air travel. Avelo is a good start, but HVN will need legacy or hub and spoke airlines to reach the rest of the country.

jco613

Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:15 pm

Some Avelo Florida housekeeping as we are just over a week away from the start of HVN:

MCO: Gates will be 100-129, presumably shared with AS.
FLL: Flights listed as "Terminal 3 Concourses E and G", which leads me to believe AA or B6 will be handling them.
RSW: Avelo is listed in Concourse B (Same as AS and WN as well as SY and F9)

All other airport have no location information listed.

spinkid

Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:04 am

I'm planning a 3 day weekend in November/December. I like to try and fly any new start up as early as I can now. I missed out on a few and always regret it..
The added sections made the times work for me better than previously.

F27500

Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:47 pm

jco613 wrote:
Some Avelo Florida housekeeping as we are just over a week away from the start of HVN:

FLL: Flights listed as "Terminal 3 Concourses E and G", which leads me to believe AA or B6 will be handling them.

So very cool to see this all coming together .. seems real now. The first Avelo 737-700 arrived in HVN today on a terrible weather day in heavy rain and crosswinds. Landing looked perfect though (vid posted on the TweedFacts FB page, along with some pics). Presumably it will be here for ground training and P.R. events, as service begins next Weds!

Terminal modification work continues .. the countdown for HVN's next phase of growth has begun. Very exciting to see this happening here.

Wneast

Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:49 pm

F27500 wrote:
jco613 wrote:

So very cool to see this all coming together .. seems real now. The first Avelo 737-700 arrived in HVN today on a terrible weather day in heavy rain and crosswinds. Landing looked perfect though (vid posted on the TweedFacts FB page, along with some pics). Presumably it will be here for ground training and P.R. events, as service begins next Weds!

Terminal modification work continues .. the countdown for HVN's next phase of growth has begun. Very exciting to see this happening here.

Anybody think we will see more service added for HVN on start day or before ?

F27500

Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:20 am

Wneast wrote:
F27500 wrote:
jco613 wrote:

Avelo's full of surprises, so ya never know. They just extended the initial schedule for all 6 destinations till end of April, though, so likely not. Though i have a feeling they have a couple springtime announcements coming re: seasonal destinations. Just a hunch i have (could be wrong, tho) ;)

airlineworker

Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:44 am

Wneast wrote:
F27500 wrote:
jco613 wrote:

Not before Avelo starts, but I see UA filling the void of AA leaving but with better frequencies to ORD. Starting off with the CRJ-550 and upgauging to the E-175. Last July AA announced in the fall there would be two daily flights HVN-CLT. Instead they came back with one flight to PHL, a less valuable hub offering fewer flights and at first with terrible flight times. Over the years I used both the CLT and PHL service and loads were good. UA to ORD would do very well and since Avelo will not be using the jet bridge, it's open for UA or DL.

twosoun

Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:49 am

airlineworker wrote:
Wneast wrote:
F27500 wrote:

Not before Avelo starts, but I see UA filling the void of AA leaving but with better frequencies to ORD. Starting off with the CRJ-550 and upgauging to the E-175. Last July AA announced in the fall there would be two daily flights HVN-CLT. Instead they came back with one flight to PHL, a less valuable hub offering fewer flights and at first with terrible flight times. Over the years I used both the CLT and PHL service and loads were good. UA to ORD would do very well and since Avelo will not be using the jet bridge, it's open for UA or DL.

Do you think UA would launch flights to IAD first that its closer than ORD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

airlineworker

Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:29 am

twosoun wrote:
airlineworker wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Do you think UA would launch flights to IAD first that its closer than ORD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IAD is no where near in having the connections that ORD could offer. Years back when UA served HVN, it was 4 737's daily to ORD and 3-4 props to daily IAD.

jco613

Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:17 am

F27500 wrote:
jco613 wrote:

Are flights starting out of the "current" terminal? Need to know where to send my Uber driver next week!

F27500

Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:40 pm

jco613 wrote:
F27500 wrote:
jco613 wrote:

Are flights starting out of the "current" terminal? Need to know where to send my Uber driver next week!

Yes .. same spot ... what they're doing is putting in an additional modular building to the left of the current entrance to that terminal (parking lot side). The modular building will be the check in building ... then you go inside and into the TSA and over to the boarding gate ... (which will also be a modular addition on the other side of the current building). Arrivals, baggage claim and rental counters and passenger pickup will be the old, old terminal next door, from what Im told.

AndoAv8R

Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:59 am

Not sure what Avelo's break even point is but today to the kiddo out to watch the flight come into and leave Northern Colorado Regional Airport and counted 47 get off and maybe 40 get on, only took one baggage cart for the checked bags offloaded.

UPlog

Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:38 pm

First East Coast flight on the way to Florida

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FDR0lG3WYAE ... name=large

F27500

Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:42 pm

UPlog wrote:
First East Coast flight on the way to Florida

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FDR0lG3WYAE ... name=large

Very nice ceremony today .. city officials, airport and airline officials; the plane got a great water cannon salute as it taxiied out .. and it was an on time take off into a beautiful clear sky.

Interesting comment today by Avelo's chairman at the ribbon cutting ... they have a 7th destination already chosen and planned (but not announced just yet) .. once the 4th 737-700 for HVN is delivered. Any speculation? I'm thinking JAX or possibly MIA.

In any case, today was a great and huge step forward for HVN! I wish Avelo and HVN every success ... they have done more already for HVN than any other carrier has.

SFOformerFA

Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:57 pm

No guesses, but I was told that the first flight went out with 122 passengers.

SFOformerFA

Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:59 pm

Upon further thought, I think that FL is pretty well covered. I’d guess ATL or ORD

Polot

Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:10 am

SFOformerFA wrote:
Upon further thought, I think that FL is pretty well covered. I’d guess ATL or ORD

They are targeting vacation/sun destinations for the winter. Which doesn’t really describe ATL or especially ORD.

NJFlyer27

Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:19 am

Per this article, Avelo President and CEO Andrew Levy said in response to questions that the seventh route Avelo plans to announce soon “is not in Florida” and “it will not be in the Midwest.”

https://www.nhregister.com/news/article ... 588463.php

Maybe MYR, SAV, or MSY

delta777er

Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:44 am

I would guess BNA.

MavyWavyATR

Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:27 am

NJFlyer27 wrote:
Per this article, Avelo President and CEO Andrew Levy said in response to questions that the seventh route Avelo plans to announce soon “is not in Florida” and “it will not be in the Midwest.”

Maybe MYR, SAV, or MSY

My guesses: HHH (Hilton Head Island), MYR, CHS.

airlineworker

Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:02 am

MavyWavyATR wrote:
NJFlyer27 wrote:

Maybe MYR, SAV, or MSY

My guesses: HHH (Hilton Head Island), MYR, CHS.

MYR or CHS, not HHH. Runway too short, 5000 feet with displaced threshold at both ends.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos