Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airlineworker

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:50 am

F27500 wrote:
airlineworker wrote:
F27500 wrote:

Tho .. look how successful TTN and ACY are with just Frontier and Spirit (gag) respectively. No legacy carriers serve either of those 2 cities. I think the most HVN can hope for is to be like TTN or ACY. At most. The current legacies have all tried -and failed- in HVN. I do see your point, but at this point, i say let HVN be Avelo territory. If any others come, then so be it.

The reason some majors failed in the past was the limited runway. UA stayed for almost 5 years but the number of weight restricted flights was too much for UA to bare. Ditto for DL and CVG service. The CRJ-100's were also taking a hit on weight restricted flights not to mention DL was dropping CVG as a hub. Since then 1000 foot overruns were installed on both ends of 2-20 and numerous trees were cut and soon the 352 foot displaced threshold will be moved back on runway 20. Also in the past SW and NW surveyed HVN but the runway ended those plans. HVN could support several flights to ORD and ATL even with the present terminal since Avelo will not be using the jet bridge.

I see your point .. and yes that does makes sense. When i worked at HVN in the 90s, i used to see the UA staff get clobbered by weight restrictions on those 737-300/500s. Chieppo Bus did alotta business with UA back then when they'd have to send bunches of bumped reaccomodated pax up to BDL or LGA !

Believe me, I'd love nothing more than to see HVN grow and have other carriers there. Im all for it. In addition to the alleged Avelo routes to Florida, i think ORD (UA Express EMB175) and ATL and maybe DTW (DL Connection EMB175) should be top priorities for a legacy .. if we're lucky to entice one to try HVN again. DCA not so much. We flew alotta empty Dash 8s on HVN-DCA during the years i worked for US there. I don't believe its as big a market as everyone wants to think it is. Maybe IAD with UA for connections, but DCA nah..

Back then I agree DCA was not a big draw but since the slot swap, US taking DL's DCA slots and DL taking US's LGA slots has made AA's presence at DCA is much larger. Maybe one DCA flight could work. UA with CRJ-550's to ORD and DL with E-175's or CRJ-700's should do very well. Again, I am only talking about 2-3 daily flights to each hub. I remember taking UA ORD-HVN 737 flights and announcements were made asking for passengers willing to give up their seats due to the flight being oversold.
With the runway improvements over the years and the advent of next-gen RJ's that can work off the present runway, routes that were not workable years back are now possible.We will have to wait and see.

PITFlyer330

Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:38 pm

Avelos 737-700 is already flying from BUR https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/142 ... 08517?s=20

BUR to AZA MFR and GJT today

they did BUR ONT JAX HPN BUR yesterday

USTraveler

Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:23 pm

Avelo is also doing a lot of charters this past week McAllen-Long Beach (MFE-LGB)

MIflyer12

Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:25 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
Serious question: Can the vending machines at SGU handle the load from a 737-800 load of ULCC passengers?

Apply to operate a coffee/bagel/croissant cart inside security. Work at the airport ten hours a week. Make a killing.

HeartofFlorida

Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:05 pm

F27500 wrote:
airlineworker wrote:
F27500 wrote:

I kinda picture (or hope, anyway) that the Avelo HVN operation is a bit like the Frontier operation in Trenton. Dailies to MCO, TPA and either FLL/PBI .. less than daily to RSW and maybe MDW, ATL, HOU/IAH .. seasonal to MYR and i wonder if they'd be able to pull of a HVN-LAS (likely an evening departure and red-eye turn) with the 73G off HVN's runway. Vegas is very popular as a destination around here .. not sure how feasible it would be operationally.

I don't see LAS from HVN anytime soon, maybe at a future time when the runway is 6635 feet. I feel this will be an east cost operation mostly and Florida flights being the main focus.

I'd be very happy with the focus being on Florida .. as long as its "real" places they serve and not silly places like Lakeland, Punta Gorda, St. Augustine or Ft. Walton Beach .. gotta be the big draw Florida cities if its gonna work outta HVN.

Lakeland is hardly a silly choice and LITERALLY puts travelers in the middle the largest population center in the state. It provides easier access to the "big draw cities" and in most cases quicker access to the amenities that make those cities attractive.

FLYKTPA

Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:23 pm

HeartofFlorida wrote:
F27500 wrote:
airlineworker wrote:

I don't see LAS from HVN anytime soon, maybe at a future time when the runway is 6635 feet. I feel this will be an east cost operation mostly and Florida flights being the main focus.

I'd be very happy with the focus being on Florida .. as long as its "real" places they serve and not silly places like Lakeland, Punta Gorda, St. Augustine or Ft. Walton Beach .. gotta be the big draw Florida cities if its gonna work outta HVN.

Lakeland is hardly a silly choice and LITERALLY puts travelers in the middle the largest population center in the state. It provides easier access to the "big draw cities" and in most cases quicker access to the amenities that make those cities attractive.

Great points and the vast population between Orlando and Tampa is certainly something LAL should flex when talking to airlines. Although you can’t beat the proximity, market awareness and ease of advertising MCO and TPA to passengers. Yeah you could just not serve MCO and TPA and just combine both into LAL. But it’s Orlando and Tampa we’re talking about. Both guaranteed to fill from HVN. I can’t imagine that’ll be passed up for an experimental add that LAL arguably is.

tichydev

Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:17 pm

airlineworker wrote:
F27500 wrote:
airlineworker wrote:

I see this new service cutting back the car traffic on I-91 north to BDL. The largest number new flights from BDL are on LCC's and with a LCC at HVN, a lot of flyers will opt for a closer airport but still, HVN needs a legacy carrier or two to service the flyers who need to fly to the other 90% of destinations that Avelo will not service.

Tho .. look how successful TTN and ACY are with just Frontier and Spirit (gag) respectively. No legacy carriers serve either of those 2 cities. I think the most HVN can hope for is to be like TTN or ACY. At most. The current legacies have all tried -and failed- in HVN. I do see your point, but at this point, i say let HVN be Avelo territory. If any others come, then so be it.

The reason some majors failed in the past was the limited runway. UA stayed for almost 5 years but the number of weight restricted flights was too much for UA to bare. Ditto for DL and CVG service. The CRJ-100's were also taking a hit on weight restricted flights not to mention DL was dropping CVG as a hub. Since then 1000 foot overruns were installed on both ends of 2-20 and numerous trees were cut and soon the 352 foot displaced threshold will be moved back on runway 20. Also in the past SW and NW surveyed HVN but the runway ended those plans. HVN could support several flights to ORD and ATL even with the present terminal since Avelo will not be using the jet bridge.

Saying they tried and failed is quite false. American (Usair/Allegheny) has made the PHL route work since the late 60's and, for many years DCA as well until Sept. 11 caused a rethink on operations from DCA and smaller Dash-8 markets were cut. CVG was not ended due to low demand rather a restructuring of DL in bankruptcy that closed the CVG hub. The 44 seat CRJ was obviously on the chopping block when maximum profitability was DL's focus. American is still running very high load factors at HVN despite having a single flight at inconvenient times.

Avelo will be great for HVN. A service long overdue however, as Airlineworker stated, not everyone in this market needs to go to the destinations Avelo will serve. I personally have fly monthly out of HVN for work and know several others that do as well. I've flown to markets such as BNA, IND, DFW, MKE, PIT, LAS, MMH/RNO, JAN and others that I wouldn't be able to access without a legacy carrier connection. Several other times FLL or MCO however, I would likely elect to connect and gain points on a choice legacy if that was possible. And that is just as a corporate pilot...

airlineworker

Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:08 pm

Avelo to announce new routes from HVN tomorrow. https://www.facebook.com/tweedfacts/

Lilj4425

Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:46 pm

Avelo coming to GSP? Announcement tomorrow at 11am according to the airport.

F27500

Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:59 pm

HeartofFlorida wrote:
F27500 wrote:
airlineworker wrote:

Totally disagree. LAL is closer to the Orlando/Tampa attractions and provides easier access than their own airports do? No. If LAL were a viable destination, some airline would have done it by now. And an airline like Avelo basing out of a city like HVN which is totally new to this type of service/operation (and which is enough of a risk itself) should go with the sure bets ... and not be experimenting with some little known airport like this.

F27500

Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:04 pm

Lilj4425 wrote:

I hope thats not gonna be one of our destinations from HVN. That would make no sense.

PITFlyer330

Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:06 pm

TPA MIA MCO as always

Lilj4425

Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:24 pm

F27500 wrote:
Lilj4425 wrote:

I hope thats not gonna be one of our destinations from HVN. That would make no sense.

Yeah, it seems really odd to me also. I was hoping for Boston out of GSP with Delta or JetBlue.

gdavis003

Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:35 pm

USTraveler wrote:
Avelo is also doing a lot of charters this past week McAllen-Long Beach (MFE-LGB)

Is Avelo operating charters for a specific, known customer these days?

AndoAv8R

Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:48 pm

Does anyone know if they will be contracting with local FBO's or will they hire part time agents to handle the new smaller destinations like Ft Collins-Loveland?

Lilj4425

Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:41 am

Avelo has updated its app with where they’re flying to from New Haven and GSP is not listed. Several Florida destinations are instead. Interesting.

Wneast

Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:42 am

Lilj4425 wrote:
Avelo has updated its app with where they’re flying to from New Haven and GSP is not listed. Several Florida destinations are instead. Interesting.

GSP must be Allegiant or another airline

gdavis003

Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:04 am

Lilj4425 wrote:

Showing FLL/RSW/MCO/TPA

DaCubbyBearBar

Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:52 am

Lilj4425 wrote:

Have to fly where the people want to go… Florida is one of the hot spots!! Hopefully we see another couple of non-Florida adds….

airlinepeanuts

Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:19 am

I hope they got their deicing down for HVN ops!

airlineworker

Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:25 am

Avelo announces HVN Florida cities and frequencies. https://onemileatatime.com/avelo-airlines-new-haven/

F27500

Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:46 pm

Fantastic to see this!

HVN-MCO 5x weekly (x2,3) - eff 11/3
HVN-FLL 5x weekly (x2,3) - eff 11/5
HVN-TPA 3x weekly (1,5,6) - eff 11/8
HVN-RSW 2x weekly (4,7) - eff 11/11

Looks like a 2 plane operation, as expected with a bit of down time for one of them. Curious how they'll be crewing these flights initially. Wonder if they'll have HVN based crews right from the start or if it will be TDY crews from BUR.

In any case, i'm very pleased we finally have more realness to this ... destinations and start dates. Very happy .. and I wish Avelo and HVN much success and growth. Well deserved!

jco613

Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:57 pm

Got a little excited and booked a couple of Avelo flights, but then came back to earth and booked the inaugural instead. Great people on the phone helped me change the flights. Now...to get to HVN!

wnflyguy

Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:57 pm

F27500 wrote:
Fantastic to see this!

Looks like a 2 plane operation, as expected with a bit of down time for one of them. Curious how they'll be crewing these flights initially. Wonder if they'll have HVN based crews right from the start or if it will be TDY crews from BUR.

In any case, i'm very pleased we finally have more realness to this ... destinations and start dates. Very happy .. and I wish Avelo and HVN much success and growth. Well deserved!

Seems like they’re using the 3ed 737-700 to operate charter flights to bring in additional revenue.
Vs the out of the gate over expansion the did with BUR.

Good luck
Flyguy

Jshank83

Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:02 pm

Wneast wrote:
Lilj4425 wrote:

GSP must be Allegiant or another airline

Contour to BNA

RL757PVD

Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:03 pm

F27500 wrote:
Fantastic to see this!

I can't imagine that will be the extent of their Florida ops. I could see 2-3 other cities with a similar roster

Part 139 airports in the northeast with a capable runway that have no ULCC/LCC to Florida include: PQI, ORH except for FLL, BGM, ITH, ILG except for MCO, AVP, ERI, IPT, SBY

There are a few candidates on that list that I would put $$ on

F27500

Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:07 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
F27500 wrote:
Fantastic to see this!

Seems like they’re using the 3ed 737-700 to operate charter flights to bring in additional revenue.

Good luck
Flyguy

Makes sense to start off cautiously . I'm glad they are. I'd love to see them eventually base that 3rd plane here if their success on the initial round is good. I'll bet in the spring/summer, we'll see some seasonal MYR flights added into the mix too. Hopefully LAS in the future once the runway's lengthened. This is a great start, though!

Wneast

Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:03 am

F27500 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
F27500 wrote:
Fantastic to see this!

Good luck
Flyguy

Makes sense to start off cautiously . I'm glad they are. I'd love to see them eventually base that 3rd plane here if their success on the initial round is good. I'll bet in the spring/summer, we'll see some seasonal MYR flights added into the mix too. Hopefully LAS in the future once the runway's lengthened. This is a great start, though!

There’s more coming in December they said, on some things have to be done first before they can add further destinations

pbody

Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:55 am

Does anyone else find 4 florida destinations, and only florida destinations, to be an incredibly lackluster announcement?

CairnterriAIR

Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:47 am

These routes will no doubt do very well. They are recognized destinations to Northeasterners, and will appeal to people who do not want to drive to New York as well as the area population of New Haven. Keep in mind that there are tons of snowbirds up here to travel back and forth during winter months. The rest of the year is busy as well with vacations as well as spring breakers… The New Haven area has many colleges. There shouldn’t be any poaching of the Bradley market, as both have populations which can sustain service. If anything, the airline has the freedom during slower months to divert aircraft to other markets such as the Carolinas or even some western or Midwest cities. A quick jump over to Nantucket in the summer would be fairly easy and with a little risk

jco613

Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:52 pm

I think sone people are forgetting that New England is a very popular destination for Floridians in the summer as well as around Christmas time. I think there should be little to no trouble filling MCO and FLL at minimum during the summer months.

I know personally for me HVN would’ve been my primary airport back in college and even when I worked in southern CT. Instead I chose BDL and HPN respectively. Still solid backups but nowhere near as convenient as HVN.

jco613

Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:55 pm

pbody wrote:
Does anyone else find 4 florida destinations, and only florida destinations, to be an incredibly lackluster announcement?

I’ll meet this with a resounding “NO”.
This is the first time any airline has announced more than one route at a time for HVN.
This will be the first time 4 new routes have started at once at HVN
This is the first time in 30 years that more than two destinations will be served from HVN.
This is the first time cities in Florida will be served from HVN

Other than that, yeah, kind of lackluster.

PVD523

Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:58 pm

pbody wrote:

For an airport that's held onto extremely limited commerical service for as long as HVN has, no. This is a huge win for HVN. More will come as service develops over time.

airlineworker

Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:21 pm

CairnterriAIR wrote:
These routes will no doubt do very well. They are recognized destinations to Northeasterners, and will appeal to people who do not want to drive to New York as well as the area population of New Haven. Keep in mind that there are tons of snowbirds up here to travel back and forth during winter months. The rest of the year is busy as well with vacations as well as spring breakers… The New Haven area has many colleges. There shouldn’t be any poaching of the Bradley market, as both have populations which can sustain service. If anything, the airline has the freedom during slower months to divert aircraft to other markets such as the Carolinas or even some western or Midwest cities. A quick jump over to Nantucket in the summer would be fairly easy and with a little risk

Over the years it has been BDL that has poached HVN's market. I see many from the New Haven area starting to fly Avelo as it much closer and the fares should be comparable between the two airports. BDL has Hartford and Springfield as their primary markets and HVN has New Haven and Bridgeport as it's markets. This is why the state fought so much to stifle HVN's growth going all the way up to the SCOTUS. The courts were the last stand the state could take to confine HVN. It will be interesting to see what will happen when the Avelo service starts and grows.

pbody

Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:48 pm

jco613 wrote:
pbody wrote:

This is the first time any airline has announced more than one route at a time for HVN.
This is the first time in 30 years that more than two destinations will be served from HVN.

Perhaps there is a reason for all of the above? Florida is incredibly well served out of Hartford less than 40 minutes away. Why not bring in some interesting routes that expand HVNs catchment area rather than scraping the bottom of the barrel trying to poach some of the lowest yielding passengers on the planet?

Polot

Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:50 pm

pbody wrote:
jco613 wrote:
pbody wrote:

Perhaps there is a reason for all of the above? Florida is incredibly well served out of Hartford less than 40 minutes away. Why not bring in some interesting routes that expand HVNs catchment area rather than scraping the bottom of the barrel trying to poach some of the lowest yielding passengers on the planet?

Avelo is a ULCC. They are purposely targeting leisure passengers which means routes to popular leisure destinations with less than daily service. Their whole business model is copied from G4 (being founded by former G4 executives).

The selling point Avelo is hoping to attract customers with is now potential passengers don’t have to drive 40+ mins away to fly to vacation. Convenience helps drive traffic.

pbody

Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:55 pm

Polot wrote:
pbody wrote:
jco613 wrote:

Avelo is a ULCC. They are purposely targeting leisure passengers which means routes to popular leisure destinations with less than daily service. Their whole business model is copied from G4 (being founded by former G4 executives).

The selling point Avelo is hoping to attract customers with is now potential passengers don’t have to drive 40+ mins away to fly to vacation. Convenience helps drive traffic.

Their west coast operation targets a much wider set of passengers giving options to destinations that arent widely served nonstop. Serving Florida from Connecticut doesn't open up anything new and in my opinion is incredibly lackluster especially given the announcement was so many months delayed and overhyped.

F27500

Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:26 pm

pbody wrote:
jco613 wrote:
pbody wrote:

"Interesting routes"? Maybe you can email Singapore Airlines for us and get them to come have a look at HVN. Or maybe Air Mauritius? Would that be exciting enough for you?

And what a crass, elitist comment .. "scraping the bottom of the barrel" with regard to leisure pax. I suppose you travel only on purchased first class tickets wherever you fly?

F27500

Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:29 pm

jco613 wrote:
pbody wrote:

100% agree with you ... from someone who lives in the area and has worked many years at Tweed. This guy calling the news "lackluster" clearly knows nothing about the stagnation HVN has suffered for years. For the longest time and up till pretty recently, the biggest excitement we had was a couple times daily on old Dash 8 rattle traps to PHL .. so yea 737s direct to Florida is huge for our little airport.

airlineworker

Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:50 pm

pbody wrote:
jco613 wrote:
pbody wrote:

No way 40 minutes away, more like an hour or more. Florida is a big destination for the state and they seem to be following the Allegiant model which works very well for them. Avelo is going to add more cities as time goes on and I am hoping for another legacy carrier to serve HVN as it would open up more cities that Avelo could not serve as a point to point airline.

pbody

Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:19 pm

Well if everyone in HVN is going to full planes to Florida then good for them but I bet as soon as another airline puts florida on sale out of BDL then Avelo will be out of passengers. The Florida market is so insanely price sensitive they will drive 45 mins to save $12 on airfare.

airlineworker

Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:49 pm

pbody wrote:
Well if everyone in HVN is going to full planes to Florida then good for them but I bet as soon as another airline puts florida on sale out of BDL then Avelo will be out of passengers. The Florida market is so insanely price sensitive they will drive 45 mins to save $12 on airfare.

Why would people drive a longer distance when Avelo will have low fares. I don't think people will drive farther to save a few dollars. Adding the extra time spent on the road and more gas used, BDL will not be as good when Avelo is much closer. BDL syphons quite a bit of traffic from the shoreline area, but this new service will slow down the numbers up I-91 to BDL.

Flyingaces

Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:18 am

Here's a picture of the Avelo planes today at Burbank.

https://twitter.com/Stu_Mundel/status/1428731555627757576/photo/1

jco613

Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:16 am

shame the Hurricane decided to ruin the announcement...taking the news away from what would be running away with it!

Did a bit of research for those wondering, It looks like Avelo will be sharing space with WN and AS in MCO...and they did have social media posts and an ad on their site, so they are pumping it up!
TPA also had a nice post and tweet, but no sign of a gate yet
RSW had a presser but no location (interesting, RSW promotes YEAR-ROUND service to HVN...for what it's worth)
and my home airport, FLL, had a Tweet and I had to dig to find the presser...can I just say it bluntly: the FLL website IS AWFUL, especially compared to the other 3 airports!

F27500

Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:23 pm

pbody wrote:

What makes you think Avelo wouldn't just match the fares? Thats what airlines do in order to compete. Avelo knows BDL is their man competitor for HVN.

uconn99

Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:49 pm

The first Avelo plane to land in CT is at BDL today.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/VXP ... /KJAX/KBDL

F27500

Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:02 pm

uconn99 wrote:

Looks like by accident, though . it diverted from HPN. Surprised to see anything planned to land at that hour at HPN anyway .. i thought they had a curfew there? Maybe I'm wrong.

uconn99

Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:24 pm

F27500 wrote:
uconn99 wrote:

Looks like by accident, though . it diverted from HPN. Surprised to see anything planned to land at that hour at HPN anyway .. i thought they had a curfew there? Maybe I'm wrong.

Not sure about the curfew but the same flight on Friday landed in HPN at 4:29AM.

F27500

Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:24 pm

uconn99 wrote:
F27500 wrote:
uconn99 wrote:

Not sure about the curfew but the same flight on Friday landed in HPN at 4:29AM.

I think they should do a few low passes over New Haven since they're here in the state anyway! LOL

32andBelow

Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:47 pm

Perhaps some media or vendor meetings for people to come check out the plane? Pretty common in new operations

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos