Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NJFlyer27

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:44 am

In time, I believe a Midwest destination would be a better bridge between HVN and BUR. I’m not confident if HVN has the full runway capacity to send a plane to LAS.

I believe GYY would make a good Midwest base.

However, it appears is taking an Allegiant approach as they are basing planes at their crew bases. There may be no interest in connecting the coasts.

F27500

Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:08 pm

Since its believed not to be Florida, then I think Myrtle Beach. But what i found even more interesting was that he said it was once they got a delivery date for their 4th airplane .. so it sounds like HVN will have a 4th 73G?

MYR would be good, but would have to be seasonal, i'd think.

F27500

Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:10 pm

HVNandrew wrote:
Echoing other replies, MYR is my top guess. It's a popular vacation spot in the area and would seem to fit into Avelo's model. Other guesses include CHS and SAV.

Not a guess for the seventh destination, though I do wonder at some point if they would consider LAS (provided the runway length is not an issue)? LAS has a strong leisure market from just about anywhere, and it could serve as a bridge between HVN and BUR.

LAS would be an amazing route from HVN, but i've seen/heard that the current runway is a bit too short for that length of route. Once they lengthen it, i bet we see LAS!

lat41

Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:49 pm

Even after eventual runway work at HVN, LAS would really pushing the envelope. Winter weather with its potent jetsteam to fight, wet, slushy or sandy runways, or even midSummer's heat are all challenges along with crosswind days.

airlineworker

Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:38 pm

HVNandrew wrote:
Echoing other replies, MYR is my top guess. It's a popular vacation spot in the area and would seem to fit into Avelo's model. Other guesses include CHS and SAV.

Not a guess for the seventh destination, though I do wonder at some point if they would consider LAS (provided the runway length is not an issue)? LAS has a strong leisure market from just about anywhere, and it could serve as a bridge between HVN and BUR.

Perhaps down the road HVN-MDW-BUR. Chicago is a large O&D market as is BUR being close to LA. Would allow a direct flight from HVN to BUR and return.

RL757PVD

Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:29 pm

A shorter hop might allow them to do an inside turn and have something like HVN-MYR-AVP-MCO-HVN with a single crew (while another does the reverse) to allow them to do a market like AVP-MCO/MYR which is a decent population base with no ULCC or Florida service

F27500

Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:25 pm

RL757PVD wrote:
A shorter hop might allow them to do an inside turn and have something like HVN-MYR-AVP-MCO-HVN with a single crew (while another does the reverse) to allow them to do a market like AVP-MCO/MYR which is a decent population base with no ULCC or Florida service

Scranton ?? Don't NObody go to Scranton.

SXDFC

Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:00 am

I remember a picture being posted of one of their -800s with new seats (same model as NK). Do they plan on installing these seats on all of their aircraft? Do we also have an idea where their future planes are coming from?

spinkid

Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:31 am

SXDFC wrote:
I remember a picture being posted of one of their -800s with new seats (same model as NK). Do they plan on installing these seats on all of their aircraft? Do we also have an idea where their future planes are coming from?

Their 700's came from Southwest and still have the same seats. I saw/read this in a trip report on the first day of service at HVN.

spinkid

Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:52 am

HVNandrew wrote:

I agree that MYR is the most logical choice. Allegiant currently serves it from SWF as well as a ton of other NE cities. It is a popular destination for people in this area.

As much as I would love LAS, I doubt it would happen. Allegiant's farthest east coast destination is Ashville, NC. Frontier and Spirit serve a couple of east coast destinations from LAS, but Avelo seems to be more in like with Allegiant's model. Shorter flights and no redeyes so crews are home at night.

even BDL has been hard pressed to maintain non stop service to LAS. America West did for a long time, Southwest has flown it sporadically. Currently I believe no one is on the route.

for a ULCC you want to have as many turns as possible to make money on all those extra fees.

DN4CAAD

Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:59 am

FLL-HVN tomorrow! Anyone know about the load factor on these flights so far?

MDGLongBeach

Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:26 am

DN4CAAD wrote:
FLL-HVN tomorrow! Anyone know about the load factor on these flights so far?

the very first MCO flight was 100% full..

uconn99

Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:32 am

spinkid wrote:
HVNandrew wrote:

I agree that MYR is the most logical choice. Allegiant currently serves it from SWF as well as a ton of other NE cities. It is a popular destination for people in this area.

As much as I would love LAS, I doubt it would happen. Allegiant's farthest east coast destination is Ashville, NC. Frontier and Spirit serve a couple of east coast destinations from LAS, but Avelo seems to be more in like with Allegiant's model. Shorter flights and no redeyes so crews are home at night.

even BDL has been hard pressed to maintain non stop service to LAS. America West did for a long time, Southwest has flown it sporadically. Currently I believe no one is on the route.

for a ULCC you want to have as many turns as possible to make money on all those extra fees.

Jetblue has been flying BDL-LAS for almost a year now, began in December 2020. Loads have been in the 80's most months, as with many LAS flights yield is always an issue especially on a 4-5 hour flight from the east coast. Before Jetblue, Southwest flew the route for 2-3 years on more than one occasion and before that Delta and like mentioned above America West was on the route in the early to mid 2000's. I don't believe US ever flew BDL-LAS after the merger with HP.

In no way do I believe HVN will see anything west of the Mississippi river in the next 5 years. The CEO of Avelo has said they are content with keeping the airline as "two" independent route networks on each coast and runway limitations will limit what can be offered from HVN even with the runway extension.
Last edited by uconn99 on Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:42 am, edited 5 times in total.

uconn99

Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:33 am

delete

uconn99

Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:46 am

My guess for next destination from HVN would be SAV. Spirit already fly's BDL-MYR and some days it is 2x daily. Breeze flys BDL-CHS 4x weekly. If I was Avelo I would go after markets not served by BDL.

PVD523

Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:14 am

I'll go SAV or MYR at 1x or 2x weekly. I don't see anything outside east coast leisure destinations, not with the fare pressure and service levels up the highway at BDL.

MavyWavyATR

Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:04 am

Does anyone think Avelo will maybe try for some exotic leisure destinations next like the Bahamas (either FPO or NAS; both from HVN), Hawaii (from BUR), Puerto Rico (SJU; from HVN)?

Wneast

Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:12 am

MavyWavyATR wrote:
Does anyone think Avelo will maybe try for some exotic leisure destinations next like the Bahamas (either FPO or NAS; both from HVN), Hawaii (from BUR), Puerto Rico (SJU; from HVN)?

They will need etops for hawaii and HVN needs customs for NAS not sure about SJU though

airlinepeanuts

Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:18 am

Wneast wrote:
MavyWavyATR wrote:

They will need etops for hawaii and HVN needs customs for NAS not sure about SJU though

NAS has pre-clearance so no need for customs in HVN.

Wneast

Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:20 am

airlinepeanuts wrote:
Wneast wrote:
MavyWavyATR wrote:

Oh interesting does SJU need any customs ?

airlinepeanuts

Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:23 am

Wneast wrote:
airlinepeanuts wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Not for US travelers. If you're entering SJU on a non-US Passport, you'd have to clear us customs in SJU.

Wneast

Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:24 am

airlinepeanuts wrote:
Wneast wrote:
airlinepeanuts wrote:

Not for US travelers. If you're entering SJU on a non-US Passport, you'd have to clear us customs in SJU.

That could be interesting

travaz

Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:25 am

Wneast wrote:
airlinepeanuts wrote:
Wneast wrote:

SJU is part of the USA and no passport is needed for residents.
https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article- ... uage=en_US

Wneast

Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:26 am

travaz wrote:
Wneast wrote:
airlinepeanuts wrote:

SJU is part of the USA and no passport is needed for residents.
https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article- ... uage=en_US

I knew it was part of the USA so I didn’t think there was a need for a customs I just wasn’t sure

deltairlines

Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:47 am

airlinepeanuts wrote:
Wneast wrote:
MavyWavyATR wrote:

Technically there still needs to be an ability to process customs and immigration in HVN. The most famous occurrence of this is SNA (pre their current facility) back around 15 years ago with YVR service. Customs and Border Protection do not have any sort of facility in HVN (they simply maintain an office in downtown New Haven).

sgbroimp

Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:00 pm

I decided to give one of the new routes a shot: HVN-RSW near Presidents' Day. Work 5 miles away from HVN and got into a mess BDL-RSW where B7 wanted over $600 one way (seriously?). Avelo saving me close to $400.

F27500

Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:03 pm

Would SJU be an option from HVN with the current fleet? Or would it require ETOPS?

I think if they could, HVN-SJU would be an incredible route for them. I'd love to see that.

airlineworker

Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:21 am

F27500 wrote:
Would SJU be an option from HVN with the current fleet? Or would it require ETOPS?

I think if they could, HVN-SJU would be an incredible route for them. I'd love to see that.

Might be a stretch off the 5600 foot runway. I was surprised to see the 737-700 takeoff for MCO on runway 2 and be airborne very quickly. San Juan however, quite a few more miles than Florida.

CairnterriAIR

Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:09 am

Avelo would clean up on HVN-SJU. Other routes I can think of, thinking outside of the box...Nassau.

F27500

Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:05 am

CairnterriAIR wrote:
Avelo would clean up on HVN-SJU. Other routes I can think of, thinking outside of the box...Nassau.

SJU for sure .. theres a huge Puerto Rican community here in Southern CT (Stamford, Bridgeport, New Haven, Hamden, Meriden) ... that route would clean up!

NAS very interesting too .. I'd love to see that .. i agree.

I still think that 7th destination their CEO mentioned a couple of weeks ago will be MYR .. he did say "not Florida and not midwest".. and wasn't there something about a 4th 737 too? Hmm .. ...

SO amazing to see all this happening here after the years of total crap air service we've had here with US/AA. Loving Avelo right now!

tichydev

Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:32 pm

unofficial but hearing from a friend that HVN is significantly outperforming BUR already. Most MCO/FLL/TPA flights are going out and returning 140pax or more RSW lags slightly behind but is still healthy and PBI bookings are strong.

I didn't hear "not Florida and not midwest" that's interesting. My money would be on seasonal to MYR, CHS or perhaps SAV. BWI has potential too to be a year round addition focusing more on business travel. They said they will announce the 7th destination when they have a delivery date for the 4th airplane. From what I hear at least 5 737-700s will be in HVN by the summer of '22.

I agree SJU has potential and the -700 wouldn't have a problem doing that the issue would be their ETOPS/HF capabilities to be able to accept the overwater routing (L routes). The -700 performs pretty well and I'd say it may actually be able to do Vegas nonstop but, I could also see that waiting for the longer runway. It has never been a top destination for BDL but there have been allot of requests for it. Strong for both leisure and business travel as well.

F27500

Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:27 pm

tichydev wrote:
unofficial but hearing from a friend that HVN is significantly outperforming BUR already. Most MCO/FLL/TPA flights are going out and returning 140pax or more RSW lags slightly behind but is still healthy and PBI bookings are strong.

I didn't hear "not Florida and not midwest" that's interesting. My money would be on seasonal to MYR, CHS or perhaps SAV. BWI has potential too to be a year round addition focusing more on business travel. They said they will announce the 7th destination when they have a delivery date for the 4th airplane. From what I hear at least 5 737-700s will be in HVN by the summer of '22.

I agree SJU has potential and the -700 wouldn't have a problem doing that the issue would be their ETOPS/HF capabilities to be able to accept the overwater routing (L routes). The -700 performs pretty well and I'd say it may actually be able to do Vegas nonstop but, I could also see that waiting for the longer runway. It has never been a top destination for BDL but there have been allot of requests for it. Strong for both leisure and business travel as well.

... loving all this ^^^^ !!

wedgetail737

Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:54 pm

It wouldn't surprise me XP abandons BUR completely in the next year or two, especially if the East Coast is grossly outperforming the West.

Polot

Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:57 pm

It wouldn’t surprise me the slightest if HVN was outperforming BUR. BUR’s route network is a little…odd for a ULCC. Meanwhile it’s not hard to fill Northeast-Florida.

airlineworker

Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:48 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me XP abandons BUR completely in the next year or two, especially if the East Coast is grossly outperforming the West.

I expect them to keep BUR and at a future time tie east and west together with a mid west stop. Still more potential at HVN, for years the pent up demand was picked off by BDL and HPN. In the 90's UA did well on the HVN-ORD route but back then there were many runway obstructions that limited the runway during certain weather patterns. One HVN-ORD flight was heavily weight restricted calling for the plane to deny boarding for 40 passengers.
Since those days 1000 foot overruns at both ends were added, utility poles repositioned and many trees cut down. Avelo will will make other carriers sit up and take notice now that AA has shown E-175's and CRJ-700's work well off HVN's runway and much to my surprise, Avelo's 737's doing N/S to Florida was something I thought I would never see during my lifetime.

SYRAVGEEK

Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:07 am

My grandmother was on an Avelo flight (BUR-STS) a few days ago, said that the flight was delayed an hour and only half full. Isn't looking too good for them out west.

sunking737

Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:33 am

XP will shift from BUR to LAS. Weather has been a big issue out west lately

USTraveler

Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:03 am

sunking737 wrote:
XP will shift from BUR to LAS. Weather has been a big issue out west lately

Care to elaborate? Does anyone have the load factors out of Burbank or New Haven (I know they make money on ancillary fees) I would love for them to succeed because who doesn't love a new airline? (except for haters)

wedgetail737

Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:08 am

SYRAVGEEK wrote:
My grandmother was on an Avelo flight (BUR-STS) a few days ago, said that the flight was delayed an hour and only half full. Isn't looking too good for them out west.

Remember that until around now, this is one of lower travel times. So it doesn't surprise me that loads aren't stellar. But HVN seems to be doing a LOT better than BUR ever has.

twosoun

Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:08 am

Just flew Avelo from HVN to FLL this past Sunday. All but one seat was taken. Very busy and good to see. Seats were comfy too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndoAv8R

Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:09 am

From what I've heard the BUR-FNL route has been doing quite well, Everytime I've checked it's been on time/early. And I believe next month we will be getting service to LAS as well.

flyoregon

Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:19 am

SYRAVGEEK wrote:

That’s one flight and anecdotal. One flight being delayed and half full doesn’t represent an entire network from a “hub.” Also, Avelo is still very new and it’s not going to see 100% LF on every route every day. Allegiant certainly doesn’t and they’ve been around a lot longer. I wouldn’t throw in the towel on BUR quite yet.

wnflyguy

Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:17 am

I think in the short term Avelo should cut some of its losses at BUR and double down on HVN or at least move one 737-800 aircraft out East.

Flyguy

tichydev

Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:40 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
I think in the short term Avelo should cut some of its losses at BUR and double down on HVN or at least move one 737-800 aircraft out East.

Flyguy

Unfortunately the -800 would be tight at HVN until the runway is lengthened. But, I agree they may be much better utilized out here where they could be filled. The -700s are very impressive so far and the seats are very comfortable.

I have to say it’s nice to see a new LCC in the US finally embrace the 737 and take advantage of it to serve an airport like HVN.

nine4nine

Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:23 pm

wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

Or revamp their BUR map. NE-Florida is a goldmine, easy to fill those flights because the destinations are high demand nearly year round from a secondary market (HVN) to underserved cities from that market. With BUR being a secondary market they are serving 3rd tier cities which is not sustainable for consistent loads. What BUR as a secondary market akin to HVN should be doing is serving underserved high demand markets like BOI, COS, they missed out on ABQ which WN just jumped on, TUS recently added should be a good one , IAH, SAT, ATL, MCO, and EWR would make a killing. BUR needs those types of services to fill seats not places like St George, Redding etc….

wedgetail737

Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:05 pm

I'm sure Avelo will have significantly higher loads for the Holidays both West and East. It will be interesting to see how they due in January, February and early March.

airlineworker

Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:47 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
I'm sure Avelo will have significantly higher loads for the Holidays both West and East. It will be interesting to see how they due in January, February and early March.

January, February and early March, the three slowest air travel months of the year. I could see some reduced frequencies at HVN to tide over till spring. Then again non-stops to Florida from HVN is a new experience that eliminates BDL and New York airports.

SFOformerFA

Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:38 pm

I heard from an Avelo manager that the load factor out of HVN is “off the charts” and the future bookings are looking very strong.

airlineworker

Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:10 am

SFOformerFA wrote:
I heard from an Avelo manager that the load factor out of HVN is “off the charts” and the future bookings are looking very strong.

Now I hope UA will take notice and be the first to use the idle jet bridge. HVN-ORD.

CairnterriAIR

Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:14 am

wedgetail737 wrote:

Remember the huge numbers of snowbirds who fly between New England and Florida all Winter. There is also school vacations in February, and Spring Break in March (New Haven is a massive college town). There may be a few slow days, but as a rule...these routes are very very busy. A good gauge is simply looking at BDL and the sheer number of Florida flights running year round.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos