Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Fri May 14, 2021 2:14 am

Avelo flies with a company mechanic onboard as part of the crew. While incredibly outdated practice (common during prop liner days) It could actually be a huge asset for an airline stretched thin.

jetmatt777

Fri May 14, 2021 5:19 am

Varsity1 wrote:
Avelo flies with a company mechanic onboard as part of the crew. While incredibly outdated practice (common during prop liner days) It could actually be a huge asset for an airline stretched thin.

Might as well. They fly to some small stations, and the time it takes to get an FBO mechanic out to do something, even routine is a gamble. Also, having someone familiar with the aircraft, and on the carrier’s maintenance certificate, can expedite the process tenfold. Loads are light, these are all day trips. The mechanic is on the payroll anyway. Keep him where the airplane is.

Have they set up a maintenance base in BUR to address issues in a central location (relative to the current network)?

DaCubbyBearBar

Fri May 14, 2021 8:21 am

With such a small fleet, the mechanic makes sense. There is a definite need to keep things moving

PanzerPowner

Sat May 15, 2021 12:40 am

Just a heads up for those who are interested in load factors and the Avelo experience it appears their OGD route at least tomorrow is somewhat okay-ly filled at around 60% to OGD and near 50% back.

wedgetail737

Sat May 15, 2021 2:02 am

PanzerPowner wrote:
Just a heads up for those who are interested in load factors and the Avelo experience it appears their OGD route at least tomorrow is somewhat okay-ly filled at around 60% to OGD and near 50% back.

So hopefully, the brand is catching on. With the news from the CDC, hopefully loads will steadily increase for Avelo.

caribbeanSwag

Sat May 15, 2021 5:32 am

PanzerPowner wrote:

Wonder what it'll be once connecting flights start

Aaron747

Sat May 15, 2021 5:36 am

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
With such a small fleet, the mechanic makes sense. There is a definite need to keep things moving

What range of issues can an onboard mechanic and accompanying equipment be expected to handle? Very curious - this is a helluva assignment in this day and age.

JoseSalazar

Sat May 15, 2021 6:19 am

Aaron747 wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:

What range of issues can an onboard mechanic and accompanying equipment be expected to handle? Very curious - this is a helluva assignment in this day and age.

All sorts of things. I am not familiar with the 737’s maintenance, but for the several airliners I am familiar with, a large number of issues that get written up can get resolved with a reset, an MEL, or just a set of trained eyes and access to a book of allowable tolerances for stuff. I’ll give a few random examples of times this would have been nice. Doing a walk around, Oil or fuel dripping out of an engine. Call up Maintenance. They send someone out. They aren’t sure if it’s within limits, they call mx control to find guidance and tolerances for drips per minute. All 3 times that’s happened to me, it’s ended up being in limits, but I wouldn’t have taken the airplane without a mechanic looking up the necessary data and signing it off. Or say you hit a bird (or even just think you hit a bird) on approach. Now it needs an inspection to be cleared to fly. Find a dent in the skin or a small chip in a fan blade on walk-around. Mechanic can look at it and measure it to see if it’s within limits. Or if the windshield glass is delaminating…same thing. Nav light burned out on walkaround. Mechanic can switch the lights from the primary to backup system until it can be swapped out. APU fails to start at the outstation or a pack fails in flight. Mechanic can MEL it and the flight can press on. Passenger complains about a seat that won’t stay upright, or a tray table won’t stay latched, or an overhead bin breaks, or an air gasper or reading light breaks…all those could be quickly fixed or deferred by an onboard mechanic. Don’t know about 737s, but we sometimes get nuisance eicas/ecam messages. Those can either prevent blocking out, or, if blocked out, cause a return to gate and a mx call to reset/defer, or just a call with mx control while blocked out. A mechanic who is present may be able to fix some of those issues, or apply a deferral/MEL and the flight can continue more quickly.

Basically it saves the airline a maintenance call out at an outstation with contract maintenance who may not even be in the area. I’ve had to do that and wait an hour for a guy to show up, and my employer gets billed a minimum call out fee (I heard it was $500 each time at one station but I’m not sure how accurate that is), only for them to show up, apply an MEL, and then we leave. Someone onboard would be able to get it done more quickly and likely at lower costs since he’s already getting paid.

With such a small fleet, chances are there will be a mechanic sitting with no plane to work on while the planes are out flying around. He’s probably more useful to the airline to fix the small common easy stuff and keep the operation going than sitting idle back at the hangar. Makes sense while they are new, small, and working through startup issues.

sunking737

Sat May 15, 2021 12:28 pm

When I worked at SCX, they had a flight mechanic on board.certain flights. Even had a fly away box in pit with some easy to replace spares.

32andBelow

Sat May 15, 2021 3:29 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

Might as well. They fly to some small stations, and the time it takes to get an FBO mechanic out to do something, even routine is a gamble. Also, having someone familiar with the aircraft, and on the carrier’s maintenance certificate, can expedite the process tenfold. Loads are light, these are all day trips. The mechanic is on the payroll anyway. Keep him where the airplane is.

Have they set up a maintenance base in BUR to address issues in a central location (relative to the current network)?

An airline can’t use an fbo mechanic unless they are trained and accepted into the airlines maintenance program

nine4nine

Sat May 15, 2021 4:04 pm

BA I believe does this on the NAS-GCM leg of LHR-NAS-GCM-NAS-LHR route. A NAS based Mech travels the outbound leg and the return and the belly is loaded with a crate of basic parts and a main replacement wheel which is loaded at NAS and then offloaded back at NAS before heading back to LHR.

CairnterriAIR

Sat May 15, 2021 8:34 pm

airlineworker wrote:
If Aevlo gets the word out in TV ads with HVN to Florida, response will be good, tons of snowbirds in the area.

No doubt they will be flying to Florida. Considering they are starting service in the fall when the snowbirds head south. Three planes based at HVN translates to morning departures, midday returns, early afternoon departures, night return. Six flights a day. Burbank too long a flight for an ULCC. They would need a second crew to return as well. (They want all crews to return to base at night...no layovers). My guesses...daily to Sanford, Melbourne, and St Pete...three weekly to Panama City, four weekly to Jacksonville, maybe weekend service to Key West, four weekly to Sarasota....and daily seasonal to Myrtle Beach and Charleston SC.

32andBelow

Sun May 16, 2021 12:15 am

CairnterriAIR wrote:
airlineworker wrote:
If Aevlo gets the word out in TV ads with HVN to Florida, response will be good, tons of snowbirds in the area.

No doubt they will be flying to Florida. Considering they are starting service in the fall when the snowbirds head south. Three planes based at HVN translates to morning departures, midday returns, early afternoon departures, night return. Six flights a day. Burbank too long a flight for an ULCC. They would need a second crew to return as well. (They want all crews to return to base at night...no layovers). My guesses...daily to Sanford, Melbourne, and St Pete...three weekly to Panama City, four weekly to Jacksonville, maybe weekend service to Key West, four weekly to Sarasota....and daily seasonal to Myrtle Beach and Charleston SC.

They are going to wind up dead heading planes all the time if they don’t figure out a way to rotate them

MDGLongBeach

Sun May 16, 2021 12:34 am

I had the fortunate opportunity to fly BUR-OGD-BUR today, loads were ~75% to OGD, and ~70% on the return. Both flights were great, the crew was super upbeat, and we arrived early both times! Can't get any better than that haha

CairnterriAIR

Sun May 16, 2021 1:48 am

32andBelow wrote:
CairnterriAIR wrote:
airlineworker wrote:

They are going to wind up dead heading planes all the time if they don’t figure out a way to rotate them

Piece of cake. All three aircraft will be based in New Haven. They easily leave Tweed early in the morning to their destinations down south and be back up by early afternoon. First crew done for the day. Second crew takes over and leaves 45 minutes later for the second runs down south, they turn around and are back by 10pm or so. Crew done for the day. Overnight maintenance and one day a week for a single plane at a time to get heavier checks in the hangar. No need to rotate... they will be based there and will run down and back turns.

32andBelow

Sun May 16, 2021 2:10 am

CairnterriAIR wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
CairnterriAIR wrote:

Piece of cake. All three aircraft will be based in New Haven. They easily leave Tweed early in the morning to their destinations down south and be back up by early afternoon. First crew done for the day. Second crew takes over and leaves 45 minutes later for the second runs down south, they turn around and are back by 10pm or so. Crew done for the day. Overnight maintenance and one day a week for a single plane at a time to get heavier checks in the hangar. No need to rotate... they will be based there and will run down and back turns.

With fleets that small this is what happens. 1-2 planes break in 1 base and the only spare plane you have is in Burbank. This is what KILLS the small was types regionals with separated hubs. You can’t recover from irrops

wedgetail737

Sun May 16, 2021 3:37 am

[threeid][/threeid]
MDGLongBeach wrote:
I had the fortunate opportunity to fly BUR-OGD-BUR today, loads were ~75% to OGD, and ~70% on the return. Both flights were great, the crew was super upbeat, and we arrived early both times! Can't get any better than that haha

Looking better...I hope those loads get more consistent.

hbernal1

Sun May 16, 2021 4:56 am

MDGLongBeach wrote:

That's really good! I live too far from BUR to consider flying with Avelo unfortunately. I really wish them all the best.

catiii

Sun May 16, 2021 2:39 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:

UA flies a tech and a tech package on the Micronesia flights.

lightsaber

Sun May 16, 2021 6:47 pm

hbernal1 wrote:
MDGLongBeach wrote:

That's really good! I live too far from BUR to consider flying with Avelo unfortunately. I really wish them all the best.

Same here. I wouldn't cross Los Angeles for a flight. Not with traffic returning.

I do wish them luck.

How is their load factors?

Lightsaber

MDGLongBeach

Sun May 16, 2021 8:12 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Same here. I wouldn't cross Los Angeles for a flight. Not with traffic returning.

I do wish them luck.

Lightsaber

The flights I took were more or less "test" flights to get a feel for Avelo. Comparable flights from the LA region to the SLC area are $150+ nonstop, so Avelo being almost 1/5th of the cost made up for the 45 minute drive in both directions (though do keep in mind, that this was on a Saturday during weird times). My flights had ~70-75% LF.. and the flight following suit (to PSC I believe) was more around the 50% mark from what I observed.

Aaron747

Mon May 17, 2021 10:06 am

catiii wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:

UA flies a tech and a tech package on the Micronesia flights.

Well aware, but that's a longstanding one-off compared to what was par for the course in the propliner era anywhere except AK.

stl07

Mon May 17, 2021 10:10 am

lightsaber wrote:
hbernal1 wrote:
MDGLongBeach wrote:

I do wish them luck.

Lightsaber

Exact point I had. I would fly them out of LAX (of course) or out of LGB but not BUR

caribbeanSwag

Sat May 22, 2021 11:04 pm

Looks like Avelo began hiring at New Haven. Good to see them getting right on it. Also rumored that they will be adding 3 737-800s for Burbank to accommodate connecting flights.

maps4ltd

Sun May 23, 2021 12:16 am

caribbeanSwag wrote:
Looks like Avelo began hiring at New Haven. Good to see them getting right on it. Also rumored that they will be adding 3 737-800s for Burbank to accommodate connecting flights.

How's the gate situation at BUR? They've got B4 and B3, right?

caribbeanSwag

Sun May 23, 2021 12:24 am

maps4ltd wrote:
caribbeanSwag wrote:

Not sure but Burbank seems eager to work with Avelo to establish their base

Wneast

Sun May 23, 2021 12:29 am

caribbeanSwag wrote:
maps4ltd wrote:
caribbeanSwag wrote:

They adding more destinations from BUR ?

sfojvjets

Sun May 23, 2021 1:00 am

Wneast wrote:

That would definitely make sense. Look at all the markets they could go to but haven't. Hoping MRY is high on that list. BUR-MRY would definitely work... I expected them to launch that long before we saw Ogden Utah, LOL.

caribbeanSwag

Sun May 23, 2021 1:06 am

Wneast wrote:
caribbeanSwag wrote:
maps4ltd wrote:

Probably. And there's probably going to be a flight connecting to New Haven of some sort. Levy said in an interview he's considering using Houston as the midway transfer point. The interview was with the Houston Chronicle, though, so it could be biased.

Wneast

Sun May 23, 2021 1:24 am

sfojvjets wrote:
Wneast wrote:

That would definitely make sense. Look at all the markets they could go to but haven't. Hoping MRY is high on that list. BUR-MRY would definitely work... I expected them to launch that long before we saw Ogden Utah, LOL.

I’m guessing the add GEG and BOI

wedgetail737

Sun May 23, 2021 2:09 am

Wneast wrote:
sfojvjets wrote:
Wneast wrote:

I would be surprised if Avelo goes to BOI and GEG. It wouldn't surprise me if MRY is in the mix, but that's a pretty short flight. I'm thinking maybe JAC, COS and IDA. But it will be interesting what's going to be on their list. I actually hope they spend a little more time developing their existing markets before hitting more.

Wneast

Sun May 23, 2021 2:10 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
sfojvjets wrote:

I would be surprised if Avelo goes to BOI and GEG. It wouldn't surprise me if MRY is in the mix, but that's a pretty short flight. I'm thinking maybe JAC, COS and IDA. But it will be interesting what's going to be on their list. I actually hope they spend a little more time developing their existing markets before hitting more.

Are you thinking there’s to much competition at those two airports?

wedgetail737

Sun May 23, 2021 2:30 am

Could be...but I think Avelo is aiming at smaller destinations that have very little competition, if any. Today, all of Avelo's destinations have no direct competition for the time-being...outside of AS entering the STS-BUR market next month.

airboss787

Sun May 23, 2021 4:03 pm

Do we know what aircraft are next to be inducted? What are their short to medium term fleet plans?

caribbeanSwag

Mon May 24, 2021 6:00 pm

airboss787 wrote:
Do we know what aircraft are next to be inducted? What are their short to medium term fleet plans?

Current announcements have called for 3 more Boeing 737-800s to support its Burbank hub and potentially offer connecting flights.

For New Haven, 3 737-700s have been announced starting out. All of this is said to be by the end of 2021.

caribbeanSwag

Mon May 24, 2021 6:01 pm

It appears that Avelo will host a conference call tomorrow to give broader explanation on their New Haven plans.

airboss787

Mon May 24, 2021 6:33 pm

caribbeanSwag wrote:
airboss787 wrote:

Current announcements have called for 3 more Boeing 737-800s to support its Burbank hub and potentially offer connecting flights.

For New Haven, 3 737-700s have been announced starting out. All of this is said to be by the end of 2021.

Great to hear. I am really excited about Avelo and hope they succeed in their plans. The reviews I have seen online have mostly been positive and good! Good luck to them!

HVNandrew

Tue May 25, 2021 12:02 am

Looking at the Elite HPN thread and the start of service from HPN-ACK/MVY has me wondering if Avelo could try those cities out of HVN? Even just a Saturday only flight might make sense and it would not take up much time (I'm guess on a 737 that flight would only be about 30 minutes in the air). Back in the 80s/90s I believe CO actually flew the routes, and 9X flew HVN-ACK two summers ago (albeit on a 9 passenger prop).

ASFlyer

Tue May 25, 2021 12:36 am

caribbeanSwag wrote:
airboss787 wrote:

I've read several posts here talking about "connecting flights". Realistically, how does that happen with a schedule that operates only 2x to 3x weekly, and maybe 5 or 6 flights a day into/out of BUR - with only just maybe 2 to 3 flights leaving there at a time. There's not any kind of connecting bank opportunities under the current business plan. For the same reason Allegiant doesn't offer connections I doubt we'll see Avelo offering connections unless they decide to offer daily service on more than STS or AZA flights. I'm still skeptical that Avelo is going to make it at all.

CairnterriAIR

Tue May 25, 2021 1:33 am

HVNandrew wrote:
Looking at the Elite HPN thread and the start of service from HPN-ACK/MVY has me wondering if Avelo could try those cities out of HVN? Even just a Saturday only flight might make sense and it would not take up much time (I'm guess on a 737 that flight would only be about 30 minutes in the air). Back in the 80s/90s I believe CO actually flew the routes, and 9X flew HVN-ACK two summers ago (albeit on a 9 passenger prop).

I’m guessing that considering they will be starting service at HVN in the fall, initial routes will be two round trips each day per the three aircraft to various cities in Florida. Pretty much no-risk flying due to the sheer numbers of snowbirds in Southern New England. Though I would not be surprised if they do a quick turn between flights to Nantucket next summer. Also easy catch of customers willing to skip the traffic on I95 and the ferry.

caribbeanSwag

Tue May 25, 2021 2:53 am

ASFlyer wrote:
caribbeanSwag wrote:
airboss787 wrote:

I've read several posts here talking about "connecting flights". Realistically, how does that happen with a schedule that operates only 2x to 3x weekly, and maybe 5 or 6 flights a day into/out of BUR - with only just maybe 2 to 3 flights leaving there at a time. There's not any kind of connecting bank opportunities under the current business plan. For the same reason Allegiant doesn't offer connections I doubt we'll see Avelo offering connections unless they decide to offer daily service on more than STS or AZA flights. I'm still skeptical that Avelo is going to make it at all.

Doubling their fleet count at BUR could potentially lead to this.

Wneast

Tue May 25, 2021 2:54 am

caribbeanSwag wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:
caribbeanSwag wrote:

Doubling their fleet count at BUR could potentially lead to this.

Did you say avelo is having a press conference about HVN tomorrow?

FlyingElvii

Tue May 25, 2021 5:22 pm

Varsity1 wrote:

I can see how contract line maintenance could be an issue in some of the stations they are serving.

dabpit

Tue May 25, 2021 5:27 pm

caribbeanSwag wrote:
It appears that Avelo will host a conference call tomorrow to give broader explanation on their New Haven plans.

Has this conference happened yet?

Eager to hear more information about their New Haven plans.

nkops

Thu May 27, 2021 3:42 pm

caribbeanSwag wrote:

Anybody have any details on this call?

airlineworker

Thu May 27, 2021 6:24 pm

nkops wrote:
caribbeanSwag wrote:

Anybody have any details on this call?

Nothing in the local press or the airport web site.

nine4nine

Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:00 pm

Avelo has finally launched a marketing campaign in Southern California. Listening to the radio (KFI AM640) on my commute home the traffic/weather report is now sponsored by Avelo along with a commercial during every commercial break.

lightsaber

Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:54 pm

nine4nine wrote:
Avelo has finally launched a marketing campaign in Southern California. Listening to the radio (KFI AM640) on my commute home the traffic/weather report is now sponsored by Avelo along with a commercial during every commercial break.

About time, they do not seem to have name recognition yet.

Do they have billboards around downtown LA or Burbank? Normally my non-aviation friends talk about travel opportunities. I admit to not being as social as before, but I'm just not hearing anything about Avelo.

Lightsaber

Chemist

Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:15 pm

I flew WN BUR-PHX a week or so ago and saw the Avelo check in counters. I hope they do well, but it seems like it's going to be a risky effort for some time.

LotsaRunway

Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:45 pm

ASFlyer wrote:
caribbeanSwag wrote:
airboss787 wrote:

I'll add that connecting opportunities are more limited for HVN than BUR due to geography. HVN is pretty far northeast. Flights sub-daily connecting to Florida at HVN probably aren't going to be very high on people's list, especially once you take away the nonstop appeal. BUR might actually add some Mexico connections some day. Maybe.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos